Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 2nd, 2012 at 8:12:11 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

When ordering someone to sit down, you'd say "¡sientate!"

Thanks. When I worked in the Huntington Park Social Security office (99% Hispanic) I overheard the service representatives says sientase all day long. However, I always thought it was two words, sienta se.

However, what is wrong with my espabile? Since Paco is the go-to hombre for verb tenses I'll hit that ball into his court.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 2nd, 2012 at 8:14:52 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I can't remember how to google search for a specific page. Someone showed us how at one point, but I can't remember. The Search engine on the WOV site only find the thread.

It's ahrder than it used to be, as Google no longer has a link for "advanced searh" in its home apge.

So what you do is enter a search term and hit enter. Ignore the results and go to the bottom of the page to look for the "advanced search" link. Click it. The terms of the search remain, then look for the square to input a domain name. Type www.wizardofvegas.com, and click on the "Advanced Search" button.

That's all there is to it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
May 2nd, 2012 at 8:22:05 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks. When I worked in the Huntington Park Social Security office (99% Hispanic) I overheard the service representatives says sientase all day long. However, I always thought it was two words, sienta se.

Most likely you heard "siéntEse." Becasue "siéntAse" would mean "fell yourself," rather than "sit down"

Quote:

However, what is wrong with my espabile? Since Paco is the go-to hombre for verb tenses I'll hit that ball into his court.

I'm not so sure it's wrong, but I wouldn't use it that way in an imperative mode.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 2nd, 2012 at 8:24:32 AM permalink
Here is how you would do it. Just do a normal search and put in: site:wizardofvegas.com espabilar

It will give you a link to the exact post. In this case it goes to the one today and the one two months ago.

I swear I tried to do this, but probably put in wizardofodds in error. My fingers are faster than my brain sometimes. Many times I have not posted duplicate words because this method of searching turned up the fact that we already covered the word. However, it is only the times you screw up that anyone notices.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 2nd, 2012 at 8:32:29 AM permalink

"Dico" is the name of a furniture store, "Mmuebles Dico." "DiGo" means "I say." "Hablo" means "I talk," or "I speak"
It's done all the time: Cállate, Siéntate, Déjame, Suéltame, etc etc.

Pretty stupid of me. I am starting to forget things from my classwork.

Does "Suéltame" mean "let go of me" or does it mean "loosen up"? I think the accent changes the meaning.

For instance the title of this song :Sueltame Las Riendas is translated as "Let go of my reins".
Nareed
Nareed
May 2nd, 2012 at 8:39:55 AM permalink

Does "Suéltame" mean "let go of me" or does it mean "loosen up"? I think the accent changes the meaning.

Let go of me, or let me go.

Quote:

For instance the title of this song :Sueltame Las Riendas is translated as "Let go of my reins".

In this case it may mean "let me have the reins," it depends on the song's context. But the word used by itself means "let me go"
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 2nd, 2012 at 11:06:37 AM permalink

I swear I tried to do this, but probably put in wizardofodds in error. My fingers are faster than my brain sometimes. Many times I have not posted duplicate words because this method of searching turned up the fact that we already covered the word. However, it is only the times you screw up that anyone notices.

Well your selection of words is eclectic. It would be like choosing English words out the following list. The list was chosen because the words are evocative, not because they are common or even particularly useful. Some are so obscure that most people that are not SCRABBLE fiends would have to look them up.

Chatoyant, Diffuse, Effervescent, Encomium, Ephemeral, Epiphany, Evanescent, Gossamer, Halcyon, Languor, Lassitude, Lilt, Luxuriate, Nebulous, Panacea, Penumbra, Peregrination, Petrichor, Plethora, Scintillate, Serendipity, Susurrus, Symbiosis, Terpsichorean. Tintinnabulation
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 2nd, 2012 at 11:29:58 AM permalink

Most likely you heard "siéntEse." Becasue "siéntAse" would mean "fell yourself," rather than "sit down"

One is the imperative conjugation of sentir (to feel). In this advertisement, the woman's doctor is saying Feel better!

The verb, "to sit down" is sentarse
============

I have always found these common verbs somewhat confusing. Their conjugated forms tend to look like each other.
The usual English translations are:
sentar: to sit | sentarse: to sit down
sentir: to feel |sentirse: to feel (well, ill)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 2nd, 2012 at 11:23:14 PM permalink

Well your selection of words is eclectic. It would be like choosing English words out the following list ...
Chatoyant, Diffuse, Effervescent, Encomium, Ephemeral, Epiphany, Evanescent, Gossamer, Halcyon, Languor, Lassitude, Lilt, Luxuriate, Nebulous, Panacea, Penumbra, Peregrination, Petrichor, Plethora, Scintillate, Serendipity, Susurrus, Symbiosis, Terpsichorean. Tintinnabulation

There are some useful English words in that list. I'm all in favor of adding useful words to my English. Some of those on your list that I like to use when the opportunity comes up are: Effervescent, Epiphany, and Panacea. A word my father liked, that I never hear anyone else ever say, is perfunctory. He liked to use it in situations where somebody was doing something for appearances only, and not putting in a good effort. Perhaps an "English word of the day" would be a useful thread, but I'm not going to initiate it.

Anyway, back to Español. I'd like to think my choice of Spanish words is more down to earth than those above. They are just words I come across that I didn't previously know, and I think are either interesting and/or useful.

Fecha: 3-5-12
Palabra: Tiritar

Today's SWD means shiver (verb). A related word is tiritón, which is shiver as a noun. Another word for shiver (noun) is escalofrío.

I think the difference is that tiritón means to shiver with cold, and escalofrío with fear. That is odd because the latter has frío in it. Perhaps the advanced readers can clarify.

Ejemplo time.

No acaparas la manta; estoy tiritando. = Don't hog the blanket, I'm shivering.

I really wanted to try to use the imperative again, but my attempt evidently crashed and burned yesterday, so I'll play it safe and go with the present tense.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 3rd, 2012 at 4:52:42 AM permalink
I think a Misused English Word of the Day might be interesting.

As for "tiritón means to shiver with cold, and escalofrío with fear", it looks correct, but I can't explain why the latter word has frío.
BTW, frío also means "I fry".
Nareed
Nareed
May 3rd, 2012 at 6:42:38 AM permalink

Some of those on your list that I like to use when the opportunity comes up are: Effervescent, Epiphany, and Panacea. A word my father liked, that I never hear anyone else ever say, is perfunctory.

Make the chance. For instance:

"As he went perfunctorily on with his job, the dealer's subconscious mind, running on autopilot, presented him with an epiphany: most wannabe card counters might act with effervescence when they hit a winning streak, but they couldn't muster the patience and discipline to turn his table into a monetary panacea."

Of course, taking a bit more time, not trying to show off <w>, and thinking it through, you can do much better.

BTW, "Efervecente" is a rather common word in Spanish. There's "fast acting" aspirin sold in tablets you disolve in water, which also release CO2 in the mix and partly carbonate the water. they're called "aspirina efervecente."

Quote:

I think the difference is that tiritón means to shiver with cold, and escalofrío with fear. That is odd because the latter has frío in it. Perhaps the advanced readers can clarify.

"Escalofrio" is the kind fo shiver or thrill you get from some strong emotional reaction, like fear, excitement and such. I'm not sure there's a direct translation to English, but I'd go with an old rock/pop stock cliche "a shiver down my spine."

"tiritar," while not very common, does usually mean to shiver with cold. howver, most people are much more likely to say "temblando de frio," or "tembalndo de miedo," tahn "tiritando."

Quote:

No acaparas la manta; estoy tiritando. = Don't hog the blanket, I'm shivering.

"No acaparEs la manta..."

Quote:

I really wanted to try to use the imperative again, but my attempt evidently crashed and burned yesterday, so I'll play it safe and go with the present tense.

Well, the present tense is descriptive, meaning it tells you what's happening right now. So the form you used here means "You're not hogging the blanket." Not exactly, becasue some conjugations are different in each language. Let's see if some exampel might help:

No me molestEs = Don't bother me
No me molestAs = You're not bothering me

No corrAs = Don't run
No corrEs = You're not running.

As you can see, the letters A or E are not a defining factor of either the imperative or the present tense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 3rd, 2012 at 7:39:14 AM permalink

No me molestEs = Don't bother me
No me molestAs = You're not bothering me

No corrAs = Don't run
No corrEs = You're not running.

As you can see, the letters A or E are not a defining factor of either the imperative or the present tense.

Thanks. I recall my Argentine tutor trying to teach me about this a while back. It an easy verb tense to learn, generally swapping the a for e, and e for a, but the first person is the same as the third.

However, isn't No corras the subjunctive, not the imperative. Wouldn't the imperative be No corre?

This leads to the question of what is the difference between the subjunctive and imperative. It seems to me the imperative is more...imperative. In other words, to convey a greater sense of urgency.

With so many verb tenses in Spanish, at least compared to English, do Spanish speakers learning English ever feel that English is a blunt instrument, lacking in nuance?
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 3rd, 2012 at 7:51:53 AM permalink

The tense is confusing to first year students, because now all the rules they learned about indicative mood, seem to be reversed. Plus there is a different conjugation for positive and negative commands. The other problem is that English speakers don't think of sentences like "May God be with you" or "Let the girls come in" as commands, and are surprised that the conjugation is the same as commands.

SPanish language lesson on Imperitive

Certainly one of the most common questions English speakers have is "What does mee-da mean? Mostly because it is often said loudly.
Nareed
Nareed
May 3rd, 2012 at 9:05:55 AM permalink

However, isn't No corras the subjunctive, not the imperative. Wouldn't the imperative be No corre?

No corre = He doesn't run
No corras = Don't run (second person informal, aka "tu")
No corra = Don't run (second person formal, aka "usted")

Quote:

This leads to the question of what is the difference between the subjunctive and imperative. It seems to me the imperative is more...imperative. In other words, to convey a greater sense of urgency.

In my own limited understanding of such things, I take "imperative" to mean "giving orders." So and order would be "No corras." But if you said "no corras por favor," you're making a request.

Quote:

With so many verb tenses in Spanish, at least compared to English, do Spanish speakers learning English ever feel that English is a blunt instrument, lacking in nuance?

Are you kidding? English is much more flexible and infinetly more adaptable than Spanish. Think of how easy it is to turn a noun into a verb in English. Just as an aexample, the verb "to nuke," meaning either dropping an atomic bomb on something or heating something in a microwave oven, has no equivalent in Spanish. The former would be "Hacer estallar un arma nuclear (o una bomba atómica) sobre algún lugar," and the latter "calentar algo en el microondas."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 3rd, 2012 at 9:39:12 AM permalink

No corre = He doesn't run
No corras = Don't run (second person informal, aka "tu")
No corra = Don't run (second person formal, aka "usted")

According to SpanishDict.com, corre is the second person informal imperative conjugation of correr.

Given that, how would you tell a friend, in a serious manner, "don't run!" For example, he can't see well, and there are glass doors in the vicinity, which you wouldn't want him to crash into, which he has been known to do so before unless given a firm warning about it.

Just as an aexample, the verb "to nuke," meaning either dropping an atomic bomb on something or heating something in a microwave oven, has no equivalent in Spanish. The former would be "Hacer estallar un arma nuclear (o una bomba atómica) sobre algún lugar," and the latter "calentar algo en el microondas."

Well, at least here in the states we are prone to such slang expressions. I tend to think there is less of that in the UK and Australia. Personally, I never say "nuke" to refer to microwaving something. There is no nuclear reaction going on in the microwave, and I'm a stickler for scientific accuracy.

In Spanish do people make a verb out of a noun, even if it isn't allowed in the dictionary. For example, microondar for "to microwave."

Ejemplo time.

Por favor, microondas mi café por 30 segundos. = Please microwave my coffee for 30 seconds.

Do you think the Acadamia Real holds Spanish back from such idiomatic expressions?
Nareed
Nareed
May 3rd, 2012 at 10:04:10 AM permalink

According to SpanishDict.com, corre is the second person informal imperative conjugation of correr.

"Corre" is third person, no question about it.

Quote:

Given that, how would you tell a friend, in a serious manner, "don't run!"

As we've been doing "¡No corras!" or you may say "¡Despacio!" meaning "Slow down!"

Quote:

Well, at least here in the states we are prone to such slang expressions. I tend to think there is less of that in the UK and Australia. Personally, I never say "nuke" to refer to microwaving something. There is no nuclear reaction going on in the microwave, and I'm a stickler for scientific accuracy.

Thatw as just an example. However, when I reffer to microwaving something I'm more apt to say "zap" than "nuke."

Quote:

In Spanish do people make a verb out of a noun, even if it isn't allowed in the dictionary. For example, microondar for "to microwave."

I think infomrally some nouns get verbed, so to speak. In the old BBSes, the ones you had to dial to with a modem, some nouns for commands were turned into hispanicized verbs. For example "loadear" for "load, " "downloadear" for "download" and others I can't recall. Lately a growingly comon verb is "Tuitear," see if you can guess what it means.

Quote:

Por favor, microondas mi café por 30 segundos. = Please microwave my coffee for 30 seconds.

That would be a good conjugation, bu the verb's not used. If you want to say that in Spanish you'd go with "Por favor pon mi café en el microondas 30 segundos." You'd think people would call it "micro" by now, but not here. A "micro" is short for "microbus," which are the passenger avns that do duty for public trasnportation; you ought to ahve seen many when you were here last year. They're also known as "peseros" from the word "peso" as in currency. Oh, some epople might say "por favor pon mi café en el horno 30 segundos."

Quote:

Do you think the Acadamia Real holds Spanish back from such idiomatic expressions?

They cover some slang, i think.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 3rd, 2012 at 12:43:09 PM permalink

The imperative mood expresses direct commands and requests. In many circumstances, using the imperative mood may sound blunt or even rude, so it is often used with a polite coda as in "siéntese, por favor" . Grammatically the "por favor" does not change the "imperative mood".
Prohibitions are negative commands, and in Spanish (and other languages) it follow a different conjugation

The imperative tense is the same as the present subjunctive (PS) in many ways.

SINGULAR
1st person : Not applicable
2nd person familiar prohibition: same as PS
3rd person: same as PS
PLURAL
1st person : same as PS
2nd person familiar prohibition: same as PS (used in South American southern cone)
3rd person: same as PS

So correr would be the following in PS
corra
corras
corra
corramos
corráis
corran

In imperative it would be
not applicable
no corras
corra
corramos
no corráis
corran

Imperative in the positive in familiar 2nd person is the same as 2nd person singular formal present
corre (same as UD. Corre)

By itself (without punctuation) the sentence Corre could mean "you (formal) run", or it could mean "you (familiar) run!" as a command.

In the second person plural (used in Argentina) it is completely different Corred.

You would normally think of Imperative mood as a kind of subset of Conjunctive mood, except that it is very common to give positive commands in the second person. Then you follow the Ustedes form of Inidicative mood.

But the use of pronouns is very important in imperative! (see the link I gave earlier). Siéntese! Damélo! (etc.)

In many languages, including English this kind of overlap of moods is common."If I were a rich man" is subjunctive mood, but "were" is also plural past. The mood is often replaced in casual speech with simple singular past, "If I was a wealthy man". The King James version of the Bible follows the classic English rules of subjunctive much more faithfully than much of modern English speech.

==============================
As someone who has studied ancient languages, the general rule is that grammar gets more relaxed over the centuries. Spanish is much more relaxed than Latin, in particular because the nouns are not conjugated, but it retains the conjugated forms in the verbs. English is very fluid grammatically. Although it can lead to confusion, there is much more flexibility in turning nouns to verbs, etc.

It is an interesting observation, because the first grammar book is only 500 years old, and was written for Spanish and presented to Ferdinand and Isabella. The stated motivation was so that future generations would be able to read Cervantes.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 4th, 2012 at 4:41:43 AM permalink
Thanks for all the help with the imperative and subjunctive. Good stuff. I'm sure it will come up again.

Fecha: 5-4-12
Palabra: Encargar

Today's SWD doesn't seem to have an exact English equivalent, but could be used to mean commit, entrust, recommend, etc..

The question for the advanced readers is whether it has anything to do with cargar, which means to load.

Ejemplo time.

Puedo encargado a pedir el sombrero cuando jugando Monopolio. = I'm able to be counted on to ask for the hat when playing Monopoly.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 4th, 2012 at 4:51:10 AM permalink

Today's SWD doesn't seem to have an exact English equivalent, but could be used to mean commit, entrust, recommend, etc..
The question for the advanced readers is whether it has anything to do with cargar, which means to load.

The two words are certainly cognates, although their meanings have since diverged.
cargar, also means "to charge"
encargar, also means "to entrust" or "to put in charge"
encargarse, also means "to take charge of something"

But encargar also means to annoy and pester which is a stretch. Unless you think of annoying as to "load someone up with your problems".

Another English cognate is car which is a vehicle to carry people.
Nareed
Nareed
May 4th, 2012 at 6:54:52 AM permalink

Going by the dictionary definition and taking usage into account, I'd say it emans:

1) To entrust something to someone
2) To impose an obligation
3) To bring or send something from somewhere else.

1) "Te encargo mi coche un ratito. Vuelvo pronto" = "Watch my car for a bit. I'll be back soon."

2) "Encárgate de la cotización de suministros" = "Take care of the supplies estimate."
2.1) "Yo me encargo." = "I'll take care of it"

3) "¿Te puedo encargar un iPad ahora que vas a Las Vegas?" = "Can I ask you to get me an iPad when you go to Vegas?"

Quote:

"Cargar" also means to carry. Given the definitions above, all of which involve an obligation, that wuld seem the related meaning to "encargar."

Quote:

Puedo encargado a pedir el sombrero cuando jugando Monopolio. = I'm able to be counted on to ask for the hat when playing Monopoly.

Forget the Spanish part. I'm not sure the English part of the example makes sense. But see the definitions and examples above.

As to your sentence, I'd go with: "Puedes contar con que pida el sombrero cuando juguemos Monopolio."

BTW the game of Monopoly does exist in mexico and, I suppose, in other Spanish-speaking countries. but it's not very popular at all. What is popular is a similar game called "Turista," at leas in Mexico. it's pretty much the same, except you buy countries rather than streets, you go to Antarctica rather than Jail, you pass Mexico rather than Go, there are airlines rather than railroads, customs rather than taxes, etc. Otherwise it's pretty much the same game. Oh, and instead of different game pieces, the players each have a little airplane of a different color.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 4th, 2012 at 7:58:32 AM permalink

"Cargar" also means to carry. Given the definitions above, all of which involve an obligation, that would seem the related meaning to "encargar."

I suppose it might make sense to review the ways in which words can be related. Sp: is short for Spanish, and En: for English.

(1) Sp: círculo and En: circle
are cognates within because they both come from Latin circulus (diminutive of Latin circus)
They also mean the same thing as nouns.

(2) En: circle and En: encircle
are cognates within English as verbs. They also have similar meanings. In Spanish, círculo , is not a verb

(3) En: shirt and En: skirt
are cognates that have since assumed different meanings. Men used to wear skirts.

(4) En: night and Sp: noche
are cognates, but to an older word than the Latin. I won't just say "cognate" if the relationship is older than Greek or Latin

(5) En: bonanza and Sp: bonanza
an English loanword from the Spanish language

(6) En: cheat and Sp: caer
are cognates, that now have radically different meanings in respective language

(7) En:alcove and Sp: alcoba & En/Sp:chocolate
are cognates that English got from Spanish, but Spanish got from another language. In this case Arabic and Nahuatl (Aztec)

(8) En: much and Sp: mucho
are false cognates. They are similar in spelling and meaning, but have no historical relationship

English cargo is actually a loanword from Spanish cargar.
Nareed
Nareed
May 4th, 2012 at 9:08:16 AM permalink

"Corre" is third person, no question about it.

Minor correction:

"Corre" can also be second person formal in the present tense. The conjugation goes like:

Yo corro
Tu corres
Usted corre
Ella/El corre
Nosostros corremos
Ustedes corren
Ellas/Ellos corren
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 4th, 2012 at 11:41:29 AM permalink

I assume that Correlo, ahora! would be Run it, now!.

In the positive imperative pronouns go after the verb, and in the prohibition (or negative imperative) they go before the verb.
Nareed
Nareed
May 4th, 2012 at 11:43:54 AM permalink

I assume that Correlo, ahora! would be Run it, now!.

It can mean that. But by common usage it would mean "fire him, now!"
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
May 4th, 2012 at 12:03:03 PM permalink

Quote: Doc

I told you that you needed to generate an index for this thread! :-)

I don't disagree. But by the length of the thread, and if we're going to count words that come up in explanation and discussion, it would be a herculean task.

Any takers?

http://miplet.net/list.txt is a tab delimited list of the date , word, page number , and permalink of all the words I could find. I might have missed a few or have typos. Some days had more than one word: they got their own line. Only words of the day were included.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 4th, 2012 at 12:03:21 PM permalink

It can mean that. But by common usage it would mean "fire him, now!"

Good to know. I would hate to tell someone to run the printer, and inadvertently fire him.
Nareed
Nareed
May 4th, 2012 at 1:35:07 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

http://miplet.net/list.txt is a tab delimited list of the date , word, page number , and permalink of all the words I could find. I might have missed a few or have typos. Some days had more than one word: they got their own line. Only words of the day were included.

Wow!

Whereabouts on Olympus does thou reside?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
May 4th, 2012 at 2:11:28 PM permalink
Very impressive, miplet. Now I can't refrain from offering the onus onto the Wizard.

You may be aware of the index I keep updated in the first post in the Casino Chip of the Day thread. If the Wizard would take the benefit of miplet's work and copy the table from pacomartin's post into an edit of post #1 of this thread, then each day forward he would only need to add one cell to the table. If the table included the page number or link, that would be even better.

I chose to make my table with the cells having links to the chip posts, but that takes more effort to update.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 5th, 2012 at 2:51:41 AM permalink

Wow! I hope you scrubbed the forum somehow to come up with that. That would have been terribly tedious to do it by hand. Either way, THANK YOU!

Thanks also to Paco for transcribing it here. I'm going to use my admin privilege and keep updating Paco's list. By the way, I'm embarrassed to see how many of the words on that list I forgot the meaning of.

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo todos! My high school Spanish teacher once remarked that when she moved to the US from Mexico she was astounded what a fuss we make over Cinco de Mayo. She said that in her experience it was no big deal in Mexico. Here it is often incorrectly assumed to be Mexican independence day, which actually falls on September 16, which gets very little attention north of the border. You have to admit that Cinco de Mayo is a lot easier for us gringos to say than Dieciséis de Septiembre. Disculpame if I made all the same comments last year.

Fecha: 5-5-12
Palabra: Luchar

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, today's SWD is luchar, which means to struggle or fight. The day celebrates the day the Mexican army defeated the much better equipped French army, who also outnumbered Mexico 2 to 1, in the Battle of Puebla. I pick luchar in honor of Mexico's struggle/fight to drive out the French.

It is actually a pretty interesting story. Some believe that Napoleon's real interest was in the United States, hoping to have a foothold in Mexico from which to attack the confederacy, which I guess he assumed would win the Civil War, but be in no shape to defeat France as well. Once Lincoln was done with the South, he helped Mexico drive out the French, which is why I believe Lincoln is revered in Mexico to this day.

Of course, history is not my strong suit, and I welcome correction to any of this.

Ejemplo time.

¿Como es Rubio Caliente haciendo en su luchado a perder peso? = How is Hot Blonde doing in her struggle to lose weight?
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2012 at 4:54:21 AM permalink

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo todos!

Gracias.

Quote:

My high school Spanish teacher once remarked that when she moved to the US from Mexico she was astounded what a fuss we make over Cinco de Mayo. She said that in her experience it was no big deal in Mexico.

That's odd. Until not that long ago, say 10-15 years ago or so, cinco de mayo was an official holiday. This means that by law you got a paid day off, or got paid double if you worked that day, and banks and schools closed.

It's not an official holiday anymore. Partly that's because May 1st is also an official holiday (Día del Trabajo), and perhaps having two off days so nearby caused problems. But I really don't know.

Quote:

It is actually a pretty interesting story. Some believe that Napoleon's real interest was in the United States,

Actually that was Napoleon III, not the Napoleon. But the first Napoleon had a role in Mexico's independence. When he conquered Spain, he deposed King Fernando VII and installed a relative, known in history books here as Jose Napoleon. The colonists here in fact began agitating against Napoleon and for the return of Fernando VII. Somehow that morphed into an independence movement.

Quote:

Once Lincoln was done with the South, he helped Mexico drive out the French, which is why I believe Lincoln is revered in Mexico to this day.

The French used a debt Mexico owed as the excuse to invade. Although they were defeated at Puebla on May 5th by General Ignacio Zaragoza, they did run president Juarez off and installed a minor Austrian noble as Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico (actually he was Mexico's second emperor; the first being local Agustín de Iturbide). This led to a long, bloody civil war between those loyal to Juarez and those who accepted the new regime.

Eventually America settled her own civil war, and Lincoln could focus on pressuring the French to move out. Once they did, the civil war resolved itself in short order. Maximilian was captured and executed and Juarez got reinstated. Juarez, in fact, ruled for a very long time afterwards, inspiring a man by the name of Porfirio Díaz to come up with the slogan "Sufragio efectivo, no reelección" (more or less "effective suffrage, no to reelection") to drive Juarez off. Then Díaz got himself reelected president for the next 30 years, until he was deposed in the Revolution of 1910.

Well, that concludes the brief history lesson.

Quote:

¿Como es Rubio Caliente haciendo en su luchado a perder peso? = How is Hot Blonde doing in her struggle to lose weight?

Oh, dear. In this context, "rubiO" = "blond man", "rubiA" = "blond woman."

"¿Como le va a HotBlonde en su lucha para perder peso?"

I can't stress this enough: names shouldn't be translated. There are exceptions due to tradition, and in cases when the original name is too hard to pronounce
miplet
miplet
May 5th, 2012 at 9:07:18 AM permalink
Ok I had a few minutes to make them clickable.

16/5/11Calzon27/5/11Apostar38/5/11Verdad
49/5/11Querer511/5/11Clandestino612/5/11Cabello
714/5/11Gustar815/5/11Esposa916/5/11Trigo
1017/5/11Nido1118/5/11Pasado1219/5/11Dedo
1320/5/11Gatear1421/5/11Terremoto1522/5/11Caballo
1623/5/11Sueño1724/5/11Abrego1825/5/11Repugnante
1926/5/11Pardall2027/5/11Encantar Amar2127/5/11Querer
2227/5/11Amar2328/5/11Estacionamiento2429/5/11Hot Cakes
2530/5/11Despensa2631/5/11Lujuria271/6/11Gula
282/6/11Dejar293/6/11Codicia304/6/11Pereza
315/6/11Ira326/6/11Envidiar337/6/11Orgullo
348/6/11Vegas359/6/11Nevada3610/6/11Colorado
3711/6/11Montana3812/6/11Tejas3913/6/11Florida
4014/6/11Punta4115/6/11Concha4216/6/11Boludo
4317/6/11Nafta4418/6/11Aspirar4519/6/11El Internet Está Jodido
4621/6/11Comida4723/6/11Papá4823/6/11Mamá
4923/6/11Papás5028/8/11Viña5129/8/11Milpa
5230/8/11Venir5331/8/11Propina541/9/11Traer
552/9/11E564/9/11Romper575/9/11 Gastar
586/9/11Advinar597/9/11Liga607/9/11Blindaje
619/9/11Plantada6212/9/11Solitario6321/9/11Quejar
6422/9/11Casamiendo6523/9/11Pescar6625/9/11Engatusar
6726/9/11Pisotear6827/9/11Fruto Seco6928/9/11Sostener
7029/9/11Reloj7130/9/11Asistir721/10/11Pasear
732/10/11Despistado743/10/11Puñado754/10/11Portar
766/10/11Fianza777/10/11Rodear788/10/11Jamón Ibérico
799/10/11Telo8010/10/11Meter8111/10/11Añadir
8211/10/11Agregar8312/10/11Orgulloso8413/10/11Equivocarse
8514/10/11Hermosa8615/10/11Terma8716/10/11Cebra
8817/10/11Paz8918/10/11Culebra9019/10/11Chicle
9120/10/11Cumbre9221/10/11Saltillo9322/10/11Astilla
9423/10/11Alacrán9524/10/11Cañada9625/10/11Cueva
9726/10/11Ardilla9827/10/11Jarabe9928/10/11Petardo
10029/10/11Mariposa10130/10/11Cabaña1021/11/11Ceboruco
1032/11/11Arroyo1043/11/11Barro1054/11/11Cemita
1065/11/11Peña1076/11/11Cereza1087/11/11Pozo
1098/11/11Concordia1109/11/11Vidrio11110/11/11Pimiento
11211/11/11Palpitar11313/11/11Cuna11414/11/11Caldo
11516/11/11Agujero11620/11/11Cobre11729/11/11Zócolo
1187/12/11Piedad1198/12/11Estropea1208/12/11Estómago
1219/12/11Soltar1229/12/11Yogur12310/12/11Sonreír
12410/12/11Lengua12511/12/11Zanahoria12611/12/11Perfectamente
12712/12/11Chirriar12812/12/11Maestra12915/12/11Otoño
13015/12/11Hormiga13116/12/11Estrella13216/12/11Vomitar
13323/12/11Aguantar13424/12/11Plazo13525/12/11Pelea
13626/12/11Merienda13728/12/11Partir13831/12/11Avergonzado
1399/1/12Mayordomo14010/1/12Ya14112/1/12Empeñar
14213/1/12Batería14314/1/12Masticar14415/1/12Bisiesto
14516/1/12Tiempo, Clima14617/1/12Tardar, Durar14718/1/12Baboso
14819/1/12Bruto14920/1/12Arándano15021/1/12Acaso
15122/1/12Capilla15223/1/12Perdonar15324/1/12Enviar
15426/1/12Hipoteca15528/1/12Lloriquear15629/1/12Enfadar
1572/2/12Chimenea1583/2/12Fuente1594/2/12Morder
1605/2/12Patriota, Gigante1616/2/12Agotar1628/2/12Gozar
1639/2/12Acceder16410/2/12Asombrosa16511/2/12Llanta
16613/2/12Grifo16714/2/12Joyas16816/2/12Guiñar
16917/2/12Burbuja17018/2/12Pertrechos17119/2/12Asentir
17220/2/12Largar17321/2/12Aguantar17422/2/12Mezclar
17525/2/12Rayo17627/2/12Maldecir1771/3/12Espabilar
1783/3/12 Carecer1794/3/12Casillero1805/3/12Regañar
1816/3/12Aplastar1827/3/12Bostezar1839/3/12Apestar
18410/3/12Penoso18511/3/12Pila18612/3/12Conseguir
18713/3/12Lloriquear18813/3/12Albóndiga18914/3/12Cifra
19015/3/12Saldar19116/3/12Chupa-Chup19217/3/12Captar
19318/3/12Cuestión19419/3/12Pecar19520/3/12Motosierra
19621/3/12Boquete19722/3/12Atajar19823/3/12Gallito/A
19924/3/12Pillar20025/3/12Energúmeno20126/3/12Envolver
20227/3/12Atiborrar20328/3/12Indumentaria20428/3/12Cachivache
20531/3/12Reprobar2061/4/12Arrancar2072/4/12Chula
2083/4/12Telón2094/4/12Estropear2105/4/12Hechicero
2116/4/12Palmo2127/4/12Compadecer2139/4/12Ñoño
21410/4/12Navaja21511/4/12Derribar21612/4/12Rentabilizar
21713/4/12Largar21814/4/12Párvulo21915/4/12Sembrar
22016/4/12Migar22117/4/12Liar22218/4/12Alocar
22319/4/12Plis-Plas22420/4/12Infarto22521/4/12Quicio
22622/4/12Traicionar22723/4/12Aparcamiento22824/4/12Mohoso
22925/4/12Jugarreta23026/4/12Arriesgar23127/4/12Empapar
23228/4/12Adjudicar23329/4/12Lío23430/4/12Plumazo
2352/5/12Espabilar2363/5/12Tiritar2374/5/12Encarga
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 5th, 2012 at 9:21:15 AM permalink
Thanks Miplet! I hope it wasn't too much trouble, or that you learned some Spanish along the way.

I hope you won't mind if I edit your post as new words are added.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
May 5th, 2012 at 9:43:08 AM permalink

Repeating myself, I think it would be most useful if this index were in your first post of the thread. As an alternative, you could edit your initial post to add a link to Miplet's table that you will update. If you don't do either of those, people will have to remember that the index is on page 279 and then work to page 279 each time they want to see whether a word has been covered. And you will have to do that every day. Is that what you prefer?
miplet
miplet
May 5th, 2012 at 9:48:55 AM permalink

Thanks Miplet! I hope it wasn't too much trouble, or that you learned some Spanish along the way.

It wasn't too much trouble: you can do some fun stuff with regular expressions. There were only 38 words that needed to be entered manually. I took a year of Spanish in high school, and let's just say I didn't do very good. Some where I have Rosetta Stone. I should start using it.
Feel free to edit my post, but it might be better if you edit the first post in the thread and put it there.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 5th, 2012 at 10:43:59 AM permalink
I just copied and pasted your table and put it in the first post of the thread. I can't insert a post out of order, so edited the original entry.

¡Muchas gracias!
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2012 at 11:32:44 AM permalink

It wasn't too much trouble:

All the better for you if it wasn't. But this kind of detail work, and long lists, drives me nuts. You'd do well in the food business checking long, long lists of products for sale. Or in any other business with a large, diverse inventory.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 5th, 2012 at 12:40:33 PM permalink

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, today's SWD is luchar, which means to struggle or fight. The day celebrates the day the Mexican army defeated the much better equipped French army, who also outnumbered Mexico 2 to 1, in the Battle of Puebla. I pick luchar in honor of Mexico's struggle/fight to drive out the French.

It is actually a pretty interesting story. Some believe that Napoleon's real interest was in the United States, hoping to have a foothold in Mexico from which to attack the confederacy, which I guess he assumed would win the Civil War, but be in no shape to defeat France as well. Once Lincoln was done with the South, he helped Mexico drive out the French, which is why I believe Lincoln is revered in Mexico to this day.

Lincoln is also revered in Mexico because he very publicly opposed the Mexican American war in his brief stint as a member of the House of Representatives in 7th district of Illinois (March 4, 1847 – March 3, 1849).

It is important to note that the Mexican War was ongoing when Lincoln was elected (April 25, 1846 – February 2, 1848); so Lincoln was not just opposing entry of a war, but being a vocal critic of on war that was already engaged. There is a huge difference, as many people view opposing an ongoing war as traitorous.

Lincoln was constrained in how much he could do to help Benito Juarez as he needed weapons himself for the civil war. President Andrew Johnson invoked the Monroe Doctrine to give diplomatic recognition to the Juárez government. When he could get no support in Congress, he supposedly had the Army "lose" some supplies (including rifles) near the border with Mexico (Gen. Philip Sheridan wrote in his journal about how he "misplaced" about 30,000 muskets).

Margarita Maza, the white wife of Benito Juárez, spent part of the war in exile in Washington DC along with her children. She was very charming, and her acceptance into social circles was somewhat groundbreaking considering she was married to brown indigenous man.

15 April 1865 assassination of Abraham Lincoln
19 June 1867 execution of Emperor Maximilian I

Napoleon III probably didn't think he could conquer the USA, but he was interested in seeing the confederacy win the civil war, and he wanted a secure northern Mexico established as a border state).

There is a large statue of Lincoln in Tijuana.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2012 at 12:51:15 PM permalink

Lincoln is also revered in Mexico because he very publicly opposed the Mexican American war in his brief stint as a member of the House of Representatives in 7th district of Illinois (March 4, 1847 – March 3, 1849).

I assume other Congressmen opposed the war. They must have. But only one got to be president later on. That counts for a lot.

Quote:

There is a large statue of Lincoln in Tijuana.

There's one in Polanco, too, an upscale neighborhood in Mex City. I think that one was a gift from the US government. It's also rather common to see a "calle Lincoln" here and there.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 5th, 2012 at 1:18:55 PM permalink
I've seen a mural of Lincoln somewhere in Mexico. I want to say Mexico City, but maybe it was on a cruise ship stop somewhere.

Speaking of Lincoln, we're distant cousins. I believe he is a seventh cousin, five times removed.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2012 at 1:30:45 PM permalink

I've seen a mural of Lincoln somewhere in Mexico. I want to say Mexico City, but maybe it was on a cruise ship stop somewhere.

I know the general area you were at while in Mex City, but not very well. If/when you come here for a visit, I'll show you the Lincoln statue I mentioned. It's a medium walk from the hotels I'd recommend anyway.

Quote:

Speaking of Lincoln, we're distant cousins. I believe he is a seventh cousin, five times removed.

En Europa, esto te haría parte de la realeza ;) (this is the SWD thread, after all)
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 5th, 2012 at 1:33:15 PM permalink

I assume other Congressmen opposed the war. They must have. But only one got to be president later on. That counts for a lot.

There's one in Polanco, too, an upscale neighborhood in Mex City. I think that one was a gift from the US government. It's also rather common to see a "calle Lincoln" here and there.

There was some violent opposition, especially in the North among opponents of slavery, who felt that aggression against Mexico was a way to increase the number of slave states in America. The dispute over the Mexican American War was an essential component to the internal conflict that led to the American civil war 14 years later.
Quote: Declaration of War (Wikipedia)

On April 25, 1846, a 2,000-strong Mexican cavalry detachment attacked a 70-man U.S. patrol that had been sent into the contested territory north of the Rio Grande and south of the Nueces River. The Mexican cavalry routed the patrol, killing 16 U.S. soldiers in what later became known as the Thornton Affair, after Captain Thornton, who was in command. Polk received word of the Thornton Affair, which, added to the Mexican government's rejection of Slidell, Polk believed, constituted a case for war. His message to Congress on May 11, 1846 stated that "Mexico has passed the boundary of the United States, has invaded our territory and shed American blood upon American soil." Congress declared war on Mexico on May 13, 1846 after only having a few hours to debate.

Quote: Joshua Reed Giddings (October 6, 1795 – May 27, 1864) Representative from Ohio

Delivered in Committee of the whole House on the state of the Union, July 14, 1846.

I distinctly stated the object to be conquest : not merely conquest of the Mexican territory on this side of the Rio Grande, but conquest beyond that river ! It is true that we are yet without official information as to the definite extent of the conquest intended. From certain anonymous publications in the government paper, and from official whisperings, however, we are led to judge that the intention of the President is, to obtain all that part of Mexico lying north of a line to be drawn from the Gulf of Mexico west to the Pacific Ocean, near the twenty-second degree of north latitude. This will give us the port of Tampico on the Gulf, and Mazatlan on the Pacific. It will add to our territory nearly twenty degrees of latitude, including a greater extent of country than that which now composes the twenty four States lying east of the Mississippi, and will leave the Mexican government in possession of less territory than that which now composes three of those twenty-four States.

In short, Sir, if this object be accomplished, it will be regarded as the conquest of Mexico ; for no gentleman who has read the history of our race will suppose that, having dismembered her of five sixths of her territory, we shall then desist from farther aggressions. That these are the real designs of the Executive no one will doubt, who has carefully consulted the signs of the times. It is true that this object may possibly be defeated by the united efforts of those who really desire to perpetuate the form of a free government ; but, when I look at the apathy of the North upon the admission of the foreign slave State of Texas, by which our rights and our influence were torn from us, I can entertain but little hope.

22 degrees north would be just north of classical Mexico and include the mining towns of San Louis Potosi, Zacatecas, and port towns like Mazatlan. Also Durango, Monterrey and Chihuahua in addition to border cities.

James K. Polk was president from March 4, 1845 until March 4, 1849. He formally annexed Texas at the beginning of his presidency, but the groundwork had all been laid by his predecessor.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 5th, 2012 at 2:43:09 PM permalink

I've seen a mural of Lincoln somewhere in Mexico. I want to say Mexico City, but maybe it was on a cruise ship stop somewhere. Speaking of Lincoln, we're distant cousins. I believe he is a seventh cousin, five times removed.

Are you a descendant of Samuel Lincoln (baptised in Hingham, Norfolk, England, August 24, 1622, as the son of Edward Lincoln; died in Hingham, Massachusetts, May 26, 1690)?

De Tijuana
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 5th, 2012 at 3:27:17 PM permalink

Are you a descendant of Samuel Lincoln

That mural looks familiar. Either I saw it somewhere you posted it before.

One of my direct ancestors is said to be a first cousin of Abe Lincoln. That is all I can tell you without dusting off all my genealogy stuff.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2012 at 3:37:34 PM permalink
Here's a link to the photo of the statue of Lincoln in Polanco.

Do you see the pink building to the right? My mother owned a clothing boutique right there on the ground floor. She closed it some years ago, and transferred her lease to the silver shop next door, which is still there and doing well.

Now I really ought to finish packing.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 5th, 2012 at 4:06:08 PM permalink

That mural looks familiar. Either I saw it somewhere you posted it before.
One of my direct ancestors is said to be a first cousin of Abe Lincoln. That is all I can tell you without dusting off all my genealogy stuff.

The mural is in at the Government palace at Chihuahua Mexico, so you may have seen it there.
------

If he was a first cousin, then you would be a first cousin, x number of generations removed (where x is probably about 5-7).

But you said 7th cousin, 5 generations removed. That means you are a descendant of one of his ancestors. Since Samuel Lincoln is the most prominent ancestor who came over on the boat, I figured it was him.

Another possibility is Capt. John Norwood who arrived in Maryland in 1649 from Virginia with a group of Puritans who refused to submit to the pressure of Gov. William Berkeley to use theAnglican Book of Common Prayer in their church services. The group had obtained permission to relocate to Maryland from the Catholic Lord Baltimore,who was seeking to retain control of his colony in the face of the rise of Cromwell in England. These Puritans settled on the banks of the Severn River, in a settlement first called Providence, then Arundeltown, and eventually Annapolis.

Then we can trace you to British royalty.

Alfred the Great
AElfthryth of Wessex — Baldwin II, Count of Flanders
Arnulf, Count of Flanders — Adele of Vermandois
Baldwin III, Count of Flanders — Mathilde Billung
Arnulf II, Count of Flanders — Rozala of Lombardy
Baldwin IV, Count of Flanders — Ogive of Luxembourg
Baldwin V, Count of Flanders — Adela of France
Matilda of Flanders — William I, King of England
Henry I, King of England — Matilda of Scotland
Matilda of England — Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou
Henry II, King of England — Eleanor of Aquitaine
John, King of England — Isabelle of Angouleme
Henry III, King of England — Eleanor of Provence
Edward I, King of England — Eleanor of Castile
Joan of Acre — Gilbert de Clare
Elizabeth de Clare — Lord Roger D'Amory
Elizabeth D'Amory — Sir John Bardolf
Lord William Bardolf — Agnes Poynings
Cecilia Bardolf — Sir Brian Stapleton
Sir Miles Stapleton — Katherine de la Pole
Elizabeth Stapleton — Sir William Calthorpe
Anne Calthorpe — Sir Robert Drury
Elizabeth Drury — Sir Philip Boteler
Sir John Boteler — Grizel Roche
Sir Henry Boteler — Alice Pulter
Ann Boteler — Tyringham Norwood (Probable)
Capt. John Norwood
Susanna Norwood — Charles Stevens Sr.
Charles Stevens Jr. — Elizabeth - - - - - -
Elizabeth Stevens — Robert Shipley Sr.
Robert Shipley Jr. — Sarah - - - - - -
Lucy Shipley — James Hanks (Probable)
Nancy Hanks — Thomas Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln (16th U.S. President)
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2012 at 9:09:43 PM permalink
Wizard, I hope you won't mind if I usurp the word for today (which is being written yesterday, actually).

The mural Paco posted is of Juarez, with Lincoln standing to the side and behind him, like half a step behind. This is significant, as it denotes Juarez as the main subject of the work.

It looks familiar, too, but I don't know enough to say where it's from, or who painted it. Murals are rather common, and just about every Mexican painter of note has done a few. People like Diego Rivera, David Alfaro Siqueiros, Rufino Tamayo, etc. But since it features Juarez, it may be that it is found near the Centro Histórico, which you were at, and which is the symbolic seat of the federal government and the actual seat of the City government.

Anyway

Fecha: 5-6-12
Frase: Supensión de actividades

The phrase means literally "suspension of activities." It's a legal term, designating a business or an individual who has suspended business activities and, therefore, won't generate income until such activities are resumed. This applies to Mexico, of course. It's used for tax purposes, as the person or business suspending activities is exempt from paying monthly taxes or filing tax returns. Business activity can resume at any time, naturally.

People resort to this when they want to shut down a company, mostly, but hope to get it going again int he future. While in suspension, a company still has legal existence, control over registered trademarks, intellectual property, etc etc. This can be important for even a failing business if it owns a valuable brand or patent.

Oh, I bring it up now because while I'm in Vegas I will be posting a bit less than I'm used to. Kind of like being in suspension.

On other things, I'm finally done packing. I've never before taken so much stuff along with me! Luckily I found my backup wig. i don't plan to use it, but it's nice to know I have it. And I'm only bringing one purse and three pairs of shoes.

I'm also facing a bit of a quandary with the luggage. When I bought my trip, Volaris stated, in the flight ticket receipt, that I'm entitled to carry up to 50 kg. Well, since then they changed their tier scheme, and now they reduced prices a little but only allow 15 kg. per flight in checked luggage, plus up to ten in carry-on (not counting a laptop bag). Anything over 13 kg, and you have to pay 100 pesos per extra kilo.

According to a dynamometer I borrowed, my carry on is within the limit (barely), but my checked bag goes over 15 kg. About 18-19 kg. total. i intend to present the paper that says I can carry 50 kilos and argue the point if they say it no longer applies, but this puts a crimp into my shopping plans.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 6th, 2012 at 8:58:09 PM permalink
Question for native speaker:

The word templanza (Del lat. temperantĭa). feminine noun: Moderación, sobriedad y continencia

(1) The word "temperance" while once having a broader definition, is almost exclusively associated with movement to abstain from alcohol through much of US history. The DRAE definition indicates that it has a broader meaning in Spanish. Is that an artifact of the dictionary? What does it mean to you? Could it be simple moderation, or do you always associate it with alcohol consumption.

This image is one of the best known to Americans. If you are not from the USA, can you name this woman?

(2) Looking at the word continencia, I am reminded that in many cases a variation of a Latin based word is in fairly common usage in English. For example "incontinence", or "recognize" are often used. But the positive of the word "continence" and "cognizance" are seldom used.

The English verb rebut and the noun rebuttal are fairly common respectable words. They are based on the old French verb rebuter. But the positive word, butt is a fairly lowly word meaning to "hit with your head", or "target of a joke", or short for "buttocks".

When learning English does this discrepancy ever bother you?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 7th, 2012 at 12:09:37 PM permalink
First, I'd like to suggest we suspend additional official additions to the SWD until Nareed is back home.

Question for native speaker:This image is one of the best known to Americans. If you are not from the USA, can you name this woman?

I am from the USA, and consider myself smarter than the average bear, and I still can't name her. It would be pretty easy to guess she was probably a leader in the Christian Women's Temperance Union, but I couldn't name anybody in it. This despite recently watching the first season of Board Empire on DVD, where may have stated it. A darn good show, by the way.

Quote: Paco

When learning English does this discrepancy ever bother you?

Nah. I found an amusing treatment of this issue in Wayne's World, where whenever anyone would challenge anything Wayne would say with "No way," Wayne would retort, "Way!"
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 7th, 2012 at 12:51:21 PM permalink

I am from the USA, and consider myself smarter than the average bear, and I still can't name her. It would be pretty easy to guess she was probably a leader in the Christian Women's Temperance Union, but I couldn't name anybody in it. This despite recently watching the first season of Board Empire on DVD, where may have stated it. A darn good show, by the way.

I thought Carry Nation was better known. She went crazy and began having hallucinations that God told her to vandalize saloons with an axe. It tore apart her marriage, but made her world famous.

We used to have discussions in Oaxaca why English would use an Anglo Saxon word like know, but not re-know. Instead you would use recognize based on Latin word. Spanish is consistent in that the verb for "to know" is "conocer".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 7th, 2012 at 2:02:50 PM permalink

Instead you would use recognize based on Latin word. Spanish is consistent in that the verb for "to know" is "conocer".

I'm still no clear if the "re" prefix means to know in Spanish, as it does in English. If so, it would seem to imply that reconocer, would be to know again. It actually means to recognize, implying you already knew who or what you are looking at. However, you are not knowing it a second time. You can only know something or somebody once.

RE: Carry Nation

I would have never got that. I was going to guess Molly Hatchet, but a fact check turned up that to be the name of a band, not a person.
  • Jump to: