Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 26th, 2011 at 8:25:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Sounds like my mother. She always made me drink a lot of cough syrup whenever I was sick.

It seems there were more medications in syrup form back then. It's amazing how they could make them taste so bad, too.

Quote:

Why the le? We have already established what I'm afraid of, so the "le" seems redundant.

I don't know exactly. If you leave it out, you're saying "I fear the bottle." A similar phrase would be: "Respeto a Stanford Wong y le tengo mucho afecto" = "I respect Stanford Wong and I have a great deal of affection for him."

I used this example because you got mentioned in Bob Dancer's latest column at LVA.

Quote:

Also, why didn't you put lo?

Beats me. Remember grammar and I aren't on speaking terms. but "lo" would be wrong.

Quote:

Then why do they translate Santa Claus into Papá Noel? Isn't Santa Claus a name?

In Mexico he's known as Santa Clos. Actually the spelling is often "Claus," but given the choice most people will spell it "clos." There's a brand of bubbly apple cider sold only around the holidays called "Sidra Santa Claus," even.

Spaniards, and others, do translate names. I think it's a bad habit.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 26th, 2011 at 9:10:06 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In Mexico he's known as Santa Clos. Actually the spelling is often "Claus," but given the choice most people will spell it "clos."

Mas información de Papá Noel.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 27th, 2011 at 10:56:11 PM permalink
Fecha: 28 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: México
Palabra: petardo

New York Giants.

Yes, Mexico has a stated called Mexico. It must be very confusing for those who live there trying to explain where they are from. I can imagine the conversaion:

Juan: Donde estas vives?
Jose: Mexico.
Juan: Que estado?
Jose: Mexico.
Juan: Creo que vives in el pais de Mexico. Pregunté sobre el estado.
Jose: Mexico, Mexico.
Juan: Oí el tiempo primero.

Then again, we have our own island of Hawaii in the state of Hawaii, so I shouldn't poke too much fun.

Anyway, the city of Tultepec in Mexico, Mexico is famoso for fireworks (petardos), which is our SWD.

Ejemplo time.

Soy trayendo a quedar despierto por los petardos a la medianoche. = I'm trying to stay awake for the fireworks at midnight.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 28th, 2011 at 12:17:18 AM permalink
Hidalgo - Miami Dolphins.

Sorry. As a fan of the team and this thread, I couldn't just let it go nor leave the trend incomplete... =(

(feel free to bust this after you see it....)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 6:39:07 AM permalink

Yes, Mexico has a stated called Mexico.

It could be worse.

As you know, the capital is called Mexico City. In the times when Spain owned a colony here, which BTW was called New Spain rather than Mexico, Mexico City was the capital of what is now the state of Mexico. After independence we imitated the US model of having the capital separate from any state, so Mex City was carved out of Mexico State. if you look at a map, Mex city is sorrounded on three sides by Mexico State.

Oh, yeah, the current capital of the state of Mexico is Toluca, which is about 40 minutes away from my house, just past the outlet mall at Lerma.

Quote:

Then again, we have our own island of Hawaii in the state of Hawaii, so I shouldn't poke too much fun.

I hear tell there's a Kansas City in Kansas, too.

Quote:

Anyway, the city of Tultepec in Mexico, Mexico is famoso for fireworks (petardos), which is our SWD.

Petardo is a kind of firework. Something like a generic thing that goes boom. For fireworks, especially the kind you launch high in the air, the common term is "coehetes," which actually means "rockets." The formal term for fireworks is "fuegos pirotécnicos." That's odd, since the prefix "piro," means fire, so you geta pleonasm there. The expression "JUEGOS pirotécnicos" si also used. I dont' know which one is right.

Cohetes is the common term, and it applies to things that don't fly and/or don't burst with sparks. There are many that just sit there and go boom, though those aren't used in fireworks displays. The exception are sparklers, which are known as "Luces de Bengala." I suppose the latter is a reference to Bengal in India, but I can't say why.

Quote:

Soy trayendo a quedar despierto por los petardos a la medianoche. = I'm trying to stay awake for the fireworks at midnight.

As the kids say today "major fail, man," or however kids say these things. Sorry.

"Trayendo" means "bringing." And you used the wrong verb by chosing "soy". You actually said "I be bringing to remain awake for the fireworks at midnight." :)

"ESTOY TRATANDO de quedarme despierto PARA los cohetes a la medianoche."

That's more right, but the real proper way to say this would be "Estoy tratando de permancer despierto para los coehetes a la medianoche."

Finally I'm not sure "medianoche" is one word, or whether it should be "media noche."

And for trivia, "Medias Noches" (and that's the correct spelling, I'm 100% sure) are the name given to hot dog buns in Mexico. No, I don't know why.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 7:47:24 AM permalink

Juan: Oí el tiempo primero.

Missed it.

That's not right. You'd say "Te oí la primera vez." meaning "I heard you the first time."

The problem, I think, lies in English. "Time" means both ocassion or ocurrence and the passage of seconds, days, etc. In Spanish it doesn't.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 7:50:50 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Black?

Quote:

Sorry. As a fan of the team and this thread, I couldn't just let it go nor leave the trend incomplete... =(

My condolences. I hope you'll find a new coach soon. Hopefully one who understands gimmicks are not an offense. I've heard there's interest in Bill Cowher. Of course he'll do a good job, he is a former Steeler, but no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two teams. Just sayin'.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 9:20:13 AM permalink

I hear tell there's a Kansas City in Kansas, too.

Not to mention:
Oklahoma City, OK
New York City, NY
Iowa City, IA

Cohetes is the common term, and it applies to things that don't fly and/or don't burst with sparks. There are many that just sit there and go boom, though those aren't used in fireworks displays. The exception are sparklers, which are known as "Luces de Bengala." I suppose the latter is a reference to Bengal in India, but I can't say why.

Here in Clark County you can only by the cohetes. If you want anything that is meant to be airborne you have to head to Nye County. You can visit a brothel while you're there.

"Trayendo" means "bringing."

Yeah. Tengo vergüenza por eso.

And for trivia, "Medias Noches" (and that's the correct spelling, I'm 100% sure) are the name given to hot dog buns in Mexico. No, I don't know why.

Maybe the word for croissant in Spanish, media luna gives us a clue. Maybe if you opened the bun, and looked at it with the bun pointing towards your oyos, it would appear like the moon.

(feel free to bust this after you see it....)

New rule. Every post in the SWD must contain at least one Spanish word, or some sort of educational remark about the language itself. The future punishment for breaking this rule will be to write three different sentences in Spanish containing the last Spanish Word of the Day itself.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 28th, 2011 at 9:26:04 AM permalink

Maybe if you opened the bun, and looked at it with the bun pointing towards your oyos, it would appear like the moon.

Are you suggesting that if someone were to point their buns at you, it would be like looking at a moon?

Edit: Wizard, you modified your last post (adding a new rule) while I was posting this. And you didn't even admit it was a late edit. Unfair! I'll postpone a critique of your trickery to mañana.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 9:29:59 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Are you suggesting that if someone were to point their buns at you, it would be like looking at a moon?

¡Sí! And we have our first violator of the regla nueva! You owe me three sentences in Spanish containing any form of a word for firecracker young man.

p.s. I saw you edit your post adding manaña after I posted mine. Okay, what would Jesus do? I think he would still make you write three sentences, but they don't have to be entirely en Español. Just at least one Spanish word in each sentence, and you can't repeat the same word.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 9:34:15 AM permalink

Maybe the word for croissant in Spanish, media luna gives us a clue.

Is it just me, or does a croissant resemble a crescent moon rather than a half moon?

Quote:

Maybe if you opened the bun, and looked at it with the bun pointing towards your oyos, it would appear like the moon.

I'm not sure what bun or which holes you mean (and BTW the proper spelling is hoyos), but the sentence seems kind of gross.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 9:57:04 AM permalink

Is it just me, or does a croissant resemble a crescent moon rather than a half moon?

Lo penso tambien.

Quote:

I'm not sure what bun or which holes you mean (and BTW the proper spelling is hoyos), but the sentence seems kind of gross.

I meant eyes. Lo siento por nos confundiendo. Remember, this is coming from the one who said take the thorn out of the whore, so have a corazon.
Doc
Doc
October 28th, 2011 at 10:25:03 AM permalink

¡Sí! And we have our first violator of the regla nueva! You owe me three sentences in Spanish containing any form of a word for firecracker young man.

p.s. I saw you edit your post adding manaña after I posted mine. Okay, what would Jesus do? I think he would still make you write three sentences, but they don't have to be entirely en Español. Just at least one Spanish word in each sentence, and you can't repeat the same word.

First, I feel that a rule that was imposed by a delayed-and-not-admitted edit of a post is not violated by another post that was made prior to the rule being in place, particularly if the "violation" is then edited to comply with the rule. I have no idea what Jesus would do, but I don't think he spoke Spanish while on the earth. Nevertheless, I will attempt to comply with the punitive nature of the Wizard's decree. I will not attempt to compose in Spanish, since I know nothing of Spanish grammar. Instead, I will just use English sentences to introduce/discuss three Spanish words. Corrections to my interpretations are fully invited.

1. (Beginning with the word I already used!) The word "mañana" is often interpreted by Americans to imply deferring some effort to "tomorrow" due to some aspect of laziness. This may be due to the song lyrics "Mañana is good enough for me." It is similar in interpretation to "boukra" which is one form of the Arabic (Egyptian Arabic?) word for "tomorrow" and one that is often meant and interpreted as just putting off something that one cannot or does not wish to deal with.

2. I once had the pleasure of attending a "charreada" during a spring fiesta period in San Antonio. The event was described as being a Mexican rodeo, but the events were far different from those seen in American rodeo competitions. It was a combination of riding pageantry and a number of demonstrations of riding, roping, and wrangling skills. There was far more artistic exhibition than competition. The most surprising event was the way they performed the steer wrestling, though both the charreada and American rodeo events involve chasing down a running steer while on horseback. In the event we watched in San Antonio, rather than riding up beside the animal's head, jumping off the horse, grabbing the steer's horns and twisting its neck until it falls, the rider grabbed the animal's tail, wrapped his leg and foot around it, and rode away tugging this "handle" until the animal lost its footing. The claim was made that this was neither injurious nor painful to the animal.

Edit: I don't know just how the word "charreada" is related to the word "chorrada", but I suspect a connection.

3. The word "cruz" (plural "cruces") means cross(es). I mention this word, because I once lived in the city of Las Cruces, NM while stationed at White Sands Missile Range. Las Cruces and White Sands are the only two locations where I have ever lived that are farther west than Atlanta. Perhaps the main reason I have never been able to learn a language other than English (in spite of having studied in school some Latin, French, German, and even six weeks of Spanish in the 8th grade) is that I have never lived or spent any extended amount of time in an area where there was a substantial population speaking anything other than English. The motivation to learn and develop fluency never arose.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 10:31:50 AM permalink

Nevertheless, I will attempt to comply with the punitive nature of the Wizard's decree. I will not attempt to compose in Spanish, since I know nothing of Spanish grammar.

¡Soy muy diabólico y injusto! >:-).

Sin embargo, tu deuda esta pagado. Gracías. = Nevertheless, your debt is paid. Thank you.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 10:37:11 AM permalink

Lo penso tambien.

"Lo pIenso."

"Pensó," notice the accent, means "he/she thought." "Pienso" means "I think"

Quote:

I meant eyes.

I wont' revisit the subject...

Quote:

Lo siento por nos confundiendo.

Yeah, I' need to know what you thought you said so I can correct this one. I do accept your apology.

Quote:

Remember, this is coming from the one who said take the thorn out of the whore, so have a corazon.

Would you believe that expression doens't translate well? The closest is "ten piedad," which means "have mercy."
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 10:52:02 AM permalink

¡Soy muy diabólico y injusto! >:-).

I agree, but the usage is "..diabólico E injusto." You don't use "y" before a word starting with an "i" or a "y" in vowel form (not that there are many of the latter)

Quote:

Sin embargo, tu deuda esta pagado. Gracías. = Nevertheless, your debt is paid. Thank you.

"...tu deuda está pagadA"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 28th, 2011 at 11:54:03 AM permalink

Yes, Mexico has a state called Mexico.

Antropólogo Gutierre Tibón, quien analizó 70 distintas propuestas de la etimología de México incluyendo las más descabelladas.

Entre estas últimas se cuenta la del pretendido origen judío del nombre de México.

Los cronistas religiosos discutieron la cuestión de la procedencia de los habitantes nativos de América a partir de los textos bíblicos, y su conclusión dominante fue la de que descendían de las "tribus perdidas de Israel".

------------
The Shakespearian quote "What a joy it is to see the engineer, Hoist on their own petard" makes more sense to a Spanish speaker today. A "petard" was an old word for landmine. The word for landmine was the same as "fireworks" because detonating explosives like TNT were not invented yet, and the only materials that deflagrate were used.

Of course Shakespeare meant it in the figurative sense of the joy of seeing people who are plotting against the royal family get caught in their own trap.
-----------------
Mexico only referred to the Valley of Mexico and the people called Mexica (most people simply say Aztecs today). The name was chosen to apply to the entire country after independence. The native people did not call themselves Aztecs. That was the name applied by historians in later centuries.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 12:02:51 PM permalink

Sin embargo, tu deuda esta pagado. Gracías.
"...tu deuda está pagadA"

You may have heard that preschool in Sweden has banned all gender specific words like "he","her","boy", and "girl".

The children now have to say "Hey friend, let's play doctor". Of course, it must wreck havoc on their Spanish lessons.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 12:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Los cronistas religiosos discutieron la cuestión de la procedencia de los habitantes nativos de América a partir de los textos bíblicos, y su conclusión dominante fue la de que descendían de las "tribus perdidas de Israel".

Bull.

Everyone claims to be descended from the "lost tribes of Israel" at one point or antoher, at least there are several such claims. I think there's a tribe or group somewhere in Africa that was determined, by studies of the Y chromosome, to be related to modern Jews. But given all the traffic that has passed through Israel, it woudl be more surprising not finding some relation.

Quote:

Mexico only referred to the Valley of Mexico and the people called Mexica (most people simply say Aztecs today). The name was chosen to apply to the entire country after independence.

Yup. For some reason the word is pronounced MeSHica. I think the Spaniards simply struck Xes where they had the least trouble pronouncing the native names. Which still doesnt explain Xochimilco (pronounced Zochimilco).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 12:25:12 PM permalink

Isn't that what the Mormons claim too? About what time did the errabundo Jews arrive in North America, and how did they get there?
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 12:50:08 PM permalink

Isn't that what the Mormons claim too? About what time did the errabundo Jews arrive in North America, and how did they get there?

Errante.

You understand I do not correct you each and every time.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 1:10:43 PM permalink

You understand I do not correct you each and every time.

Entiendo
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 1:13:20 PM permalink

I doubt that the Mexica wanted to be thought of as the lost tribe of Israel.

There is a long history of Jews in Charleston, South Carolina. The charter of the Carolina Colony, drawn up by John Locke in 1669, granted liberty of conscience to all settlers, expressly mentioning "Jews, heathens, and dissenters." It is probable that some Jews came originally, but the earliest record of a Jew in Charleston was 26 years later when one was a translator.

The original Jews were Sephardim, who had been thrown out of Spain in 1492 as part of the vision of the Catholic monarchs of wiping out Moslems and Jews and setting, and of the Anglicans by their descendants.

The Jews helped make Charleston the only urban place above 2500 people south of Virginia in the first census of 1790. A total of 16,359 people were in the city.

In The Jews of Nineteenth Century Charleston: Ethnicity in a Port City is recorded one of the first instances of a "Jewish Princess" . I saw a play about the impact on the old Jewish communities when the Ashkenazi immigration began to occur.

These are the diaspora countries with the highest percentage of Jewish population.
Gibraltar (24.0 per 1000 or 2.4%),
United States (20.1),
Canada (11.9),
France (8.8),
Uruguay (6.7),
Argentina (5.3),
Hungary (5.2), and
Australia (5.1).

There are also 80K-300K Jews in
Britain, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Brazil, and South Africa
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 1:25:42 PM permalink

These are the diaspora countries with the highest percentage of Jewish population.

United States (20.1)

I find it hard to believe that the US is that high.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 1:38:18 PM permalink

Sorry, I was quoting a document about 10-15 years old. In the meantime the Jewish population has declined, and the US population has increased. A more accurate number would be closer to 17 in 1000 people, down from 20.1 in 1000.

I did say in the line above that these numbers were per 1000 people. There is no diaspora country after the holocaust where Jews constitute more than 2.5% of the population. There are not that many of God's chosen people.

That's why the numbers in the bible of Jews who left during the Exodus are considered to be outlandishly high. It is inconceivable that there were that many Jews in Egypt during the time of Moses.

According to Exodus 12:37-38 NIV, the Israelites numbered "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children," plus many non-Israelites and livestock. Numbers 1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550. The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites would have numbered some 2 million people.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 1:43:40 PM permalink

Te debes tres oraciones en Español :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 2:04:32 PM permalink
First, I didn't notice the last time the numbers were per 1,000. I thought you were saying 20.1%. Totally my mistake, as your post was quite claro.

Te debes tres oraciones en Español :)

Oy!

1. Quien escribe el libro de amor? = Who wrote the book of love?
2. Yo soy la morsa = I am the walrus.
3. Quiero ser por debajo la mar en un jardin de el pulpo en la sombra. = I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 2:13:19 PM permalink

Oy!

I thought I'd let you police the others, but who polices the police? :)

Quote:

1. Quien escribe el libro de amor? = Who wrote the book of love?

¿Quien escribiÓ...?

Quote:

3. Quiero ser por debajo la mar en un jardin de el pulpo en la sombra. = I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

"Quero ESTAR bajo EL mar en EL jardín DEL pulpo..."
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 4:39:07 PM permalink

Quiero ser por debajo la mar en un jardin de el pulpo en la sombra.
Quiero ESTAR bajo EL mar en EL jardín DEL pulpo..

estar - esta -> estacion
ser - es -> esencia

La palabra "sea" no es "el mar", "sea" es " modo presente subjuntivo" de "ser"

"no me sea" == "that I may not be"

Solo le pido a Dios -
Que el dolor no me sea indiferente
Que lo injusto no me sea indiferente
Que la guerra no me sea indiferente
Que el engano no me sea indiferente
Que el futuro no me sea indiferente
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 4:57:29 PM permalink

estar - esta -> estacion
ser - es -> esencia

La palabra "sea" no es "el mar", "sea" es " modo presente subjuntivo" de "ser"

"no me sea" == "that I may not be"

Solo le pido a Dios -
Que el dolor no me sea indiferente
Que lo injusto no me sea indiferente
Que la guerra no me sea indiferente
Que el engano no me sea indiferente
Que el futuro no me sea indiferente

¿Qué?

As near as I can tell, you're saying the word "sea" does not refer to the sea. I know that. However, "I'd like to be under the sea" translates into Spanish as "Quisiera estar bajo el mar," regardless of how alike "sea" as in ocean and "sea" as in ser may look.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 7:50:51 PM permalink

¿Qué?

I wasn't talking to you, I was using your example for the Wizard and giving a clue as when to use ser or estar. Grammar is the one of the most difficult thing to talk about in another language.

Estar is similar to "station". It is also similar to "status". When you say I am "under the sea" think of those words so you use "estar" instead of "ser".
"Ser" is similar to "essence". So if you are talking about "essential qualities", then you use "ser". It's the best general way I know how to use one or the other.

===========================
But a very difficult thing for English speakers is when to use the form of "ser" which is sea (which looks like "ocean" to us). For instance if we want to say
"I am looking for a book that is interesting." We would probably say:
"Yo busco un libre que es interesante." You would say (I think) -
"Yo busco un libre que sea interesante."

Am I correct?
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 7:56:37 PM permalink

I wasn't talking to you,

You should say so next time.

Quote:

For instance if we want to say
"I am looking for a book that is interesting." We would probably say:
"Yo busco un libre que es interesante." You would say (I think) -
"Yo busco un libre que sea interesante."

Am I correct?

For starters "libre" = "Free" as in liberty; "librO" = "book"

The correct form is the third: "libro que sea interesante." But you're just as likely to hear someone say "Busco un libro que esté interesante." That's wrong, but it happens.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 8:33:50 PM permalink

You should say so next time.

For starters "libre" = "Free" as in liberty; "librO" = "book"

The correct form is the third: "libro que sea interesante." But you're just as likely to hear someone say "Busco un libro que esté interesante." That's wrong, but it happens.

I will say so. In my mind I guess I thought it was obvious.
Stupid error about "libre".

For most English speakers it is difficult for most to know if they should use (1)es, (2)sea, (3)está, or (4)esté . They are most likely to use (1) or (3).
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 28th, 2011 at 9:26:25 PM permalink

Black?

I'm terribly color blind, but it sure looked like verde y anaranjado to me. Granted the anaranjado was closer to their alternate version, but it's close enough to complete the trend.

New rule. Every post in the SWD must contain at least one Spanish word, or some sort of educational remark about the language itself. The future punishment for breaking this rule will be to write three different sentences in Spanish containing the last Spanish Word of the Day itself.

Lo siento. I'll keep to words, if you please. Nareed's head would explode trying to fix my jibberish otherwise.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 4:15:26 AM permalink

I'm terribly color blind, but it sure looked like verde y anaranjado to me. Granted the anaranjado was closer to their alternate version, but it's close enough to complete the trend.

The background is green and the letters are black. I didn't see any orange to match the Delfines.

Quote:

Lo siento. I'll keep to words, if you please. Nareed's head would explode trying to fix my jibberish otherwise.

Hardly. I deal with government-written documents every day. I've learned to simply ignore gibberish.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 8:43:55 AM permalink
Fecha: 29 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Michoacán
Palabra: mariposa

Thanks Paco for the continued help with ser y estar. For what it is worth, I seriously considered using estar for the be in "I want to be under the sea...", but went with ser because I thought he wanted to be in the Octopus' garden permanently.

Speaking of libre, the official names of many estados includes the word libre. Por ejemplo, el lleno nombre de Michoacán es "Estado Libre y Soberano de Michoacán de Ocampo."

Anyway, onto new asuntos. Today's state is Michoacán, which is famous as the winter home of Monarch butterflies. Monarchs are the only butterfly to migrate long distances for the winter. The Monarchs that find their way to Michoacán traveled from the eastern United States. It is extraño to me how they know where to go, since any given mariposa (butterfly) only lives about a year, so none of them would live long enough to say "Hice este viaje el año pasado, me siguen, yo conozco la rumba." = "I did this trip last year, follow me, I know the way."

Another question I have is in the video I linked to said that one reason for the Monarch's success is that they taste terrible, and thus not inviting for birds to eat. So, if they taste so terrible, why do they call them butterflies?

Ejemplo time.

El bosque está lleno de mariposas en esta vez del año. = The forest is full of butterflies this time of the year.
Doc
Doc
October 29th, 2011 at 8:52:33 AM permalink

Another question I have is in the video I linked to said that one reason for the Monarch's success is that they taste terrible, and thus not inviting for birds to eat. So, if they taste so terrible, why do they call them butterflies?

Tienen un sabor terrible. (Posted in an attempt to comply with the forum's recent rule changes.)

Comment/question: Who established that butterflies taste terrible? How? Do different species have different taste preferences, and how would that be taken into account?

Just curious when I hear such claims.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 29th, 2011 at 8:57:18 AM permalink

It is estraño to me how they know where to go, since any given mariposa (butterfly) only lives about a year, so none of them would live long enough to say "I did this last year, follow me, I know the way."

Los Mariposas viva solo dos a siete meses. Estos santuarios fueron declarados en 2008 como Patrimonio Natural de la Humanidad en su modalidad de lugares naturales.

The mechanism by which the species manages to return to the same overwintering spots over a gap of several generations is still a subject of research;
the flight patterns appear to be inherited, based on a combination of the position of the sun in the sky and
a time-compensated Sun compass that depends upon a circadian clock that is based in their antennae.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 8:58:43 AM permalink

Tienen un sabor terrible. (Posted in an attempt to comply with the forum's recent rule changes.)

Comment/question: Who established that butterflies taste terrible? How? Do different species have different taste preferences, and how would that be taken into account?

Just curious when I hear such claims.

Thank you for not just throwing in one Spanish word but an entire frase (sentence). I hope it will please you to know I broke my own rule yesterday, which Nareed called me out on.

The video I linked to said that when a bird did get hungry enough to eat a Monarch it would vomit it out. So, I think that is how we know they taste badly. Same thing with penguins, when a sea lion tries to eat one they spit it out. Obviamente, that helps the penguin population grow. I would say tasting bad is an evolutionary defense, but perhaps the good FrG would disagree.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 9:10:15 AM permalink

The mechanism by which the species manages to return to the same overwintering spots over a gap of several generations is still a subject of research;
the flight patterns appear to be inherited, based on a combination of the position of the sun in the sky and
a time-compensated Sun compass that depends upon a circadian clock that is based in their antennae.

Que hacemos sin Ud? = What would we do without you.

This topic got me to wondering where the western US monarchs go for winter vacation. According to the Monarch Grove Sanctuary, they are drawn to Pacific Grove, California, which is near Monteray. A very lovey, yet pricey, part of northern California. There is also a Mariposa County, California, near Sacramento. My first year at UCSB I lived on Mariposa hall in the San Miguel dorm (5th floor west).

Pregunta para (or is it "por") Nareed: Do any bamboleándose monarchs ever get lost and end up in Mexico City instead of the bosques de Michoacan?
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 29th, 2011 at 9:35:07 AM permalink

So, I think that is how we know they taste badly. Same thing with penguins, when a sea lion tries to eat one they spit it out. Obviamente, that helps the penguin population grow. I would say tasting bad is an evolutionary defense, but perhaps the good FrG would disagree.

There is a similar butterfly called the Viceroy that tastes even worse than Monarch butterflies. Viceroys just taste bad, but Monarchs are toxic. The pair forms a mimicry bond. The lousy tasting Viceroys discourage eating the Monarchs, and the toxic monarchs discourage eating the Viceroys.

As far as I know most Catholics do not particularly have a problem with evolutionary theory. The Catholic church never rejected Darwin's theories even from the time of the initial books in the 19th century. Neither did the the Anglican church. The objections tended to come from Baptists and Pentecostals.

Monarcas Morelia es un club de fútbol profesional mexicano. El rojo y amarillo del uniforme del equipo vienen de los colores de la bandera de la ciudad de Morelia , que son los mismos de la bandera española, dado que la ciudad es una urbe novohispana.

Por otro lado, el mote original del equipo fue "canarios" hasta 1999, año en que se cambió a "Monarcas".

Este último apodo proviene del escudo de los tres monarcas, que le fue otorgado a la ciudad de Valladolid (un nombre previo de Morelia) por parte del rey Carlos I de España, mejor conocido como el emperador Carlos V en el Sacro Imperio Románico Germánico.

De esta forma, la suposición de que el apodo provenga de la mariposa monarca que hiberna y se reproduce en la parte oriental del estado de Michoacán es errónea.

Carlos V (or Carlos I of Spain) is one of the most important men in history.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 9:45:19 AM permalink

As far as I know most Catholics do not particularly have a problem with evolutionary theory. The Catholic church never rejected Darwin's theories even from the time of the initial books in the 19th century. Neither did the the Anglican church. The objections tended to come from Baptists and Pentecostals.

If I had known that, I would have included it in my post about things I like about Catolicismo. Good for them.

De esta forma, la suposición de que el apodo provenga de la mariposa monarca que hiberna y se reproduce en la parte oriental del estado de Michoacán es errónea.

Do you also write for Spanish Wikipedia?
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 9:54:04 AM permalink

Monarcas Morelia es un club de fútbol profesional mexicano.

Bugs, sucker and religion in one post?

That's it. you're on my list. :P
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 10:00:27 AM permalink

Bugs, sucker and religion in one post?

That's it. you're on my list. :P

¡Tres frases, por favor!
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 11:15:07 AM permalink

Speaking of libre, the official names of many estados includes the word libre. Por ejemplo, el lleno nombre de Michoacán es "Estado Libre y Soberano de Michoacán de Ocampo."

Meaningless nomenclature. Some places have it worse. Look up the full name for the city of Puebla if you want a good laugh.

Quote:

"Hice este viaje el año pasado, me siguen, yo conozco la rumba." = "I did this trip last year, follow me, I know the way."

Rumba is a kind of dance. Ruta is route. Roomba is a robot.

Quote:

El bosque está lleno de mariposas en esta vez del año. = The forest is full of butterflies this time of the year.

"..en esta EPOCA del año."
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 11:21:46 AM permalink

Que hacemos sin Ud? = What would we do without you.

How formal!

But:

"¿Que hacemos sin ti?" = "What do we do without you"

"Que haríamos sin ti?" = "What would we do without you."

Quote:

Pregunta para (or is it "por") Nareed: Do any bamboleándose monarchs ever get lost and end up in Mexico City instead of the bosques de Michoacan?

I don't look at bugs. I'm extremely phobic. But as far as I know butterflies don't tumble.
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 11:31:22 AM permalink

¡Tres frases, por favor!

OK:

1) ¿Porqué no fumigan Michoacán?
2) Dios no existe
3) ¿es suficiente, o quieres que siga?

:P
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 2:06:31 PM permalink

Rumba is a kind of dance. Ruta is route. Roomba is a robot.

Quieré dicer rumbo.

OK:

1) ¿Porqué no fumigan Michoacán?
2) Dios no existe
3) ¿es suficiente, o quieres que siga?

1. Tienes no alma. No wonder you didn't mind wagering with it.
2. De aquedro.
3. Es suficiente. Su dueda esta pagado.

RE: bamboleándose

But as far as I know butterflies don't tumble.

I thought bamboleándose meant to stagger or wander around, like un borracho.
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 2:20:50 PM permalink

Quieré dicer rumbo.

That works, too.

Quote:

1. Tienes no alma.

NO tienes alma.

I know that. No one does. I don't have horns, either. That's why I didn't mind wagering it. I said at the time I was betting nothing against $100. Granted I didn't win, but I didn't lose :)

Quote:

2. De aquedro.

De aCuerdo.

Quote:

I thought bamboleándose meant to stagger or wander around, like un borracho.

It's an odd word. I think it means tumble, but you should look it up.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 7:45:40 PM permalink
Fecha: 30 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Morelos
Palabra: cabaña

Pittsburgh Steelers, obviamente

Today's estado is Morelos, the second smallest by area in Mexico. Based on a quick read of Wikipedia, it seems to be primarily a farming state. I had a difficult time finding a good SWD for the state. As my usual last resort, I turned to the map and looked for any city that had a name with an English translation. I finally found Las Cabañas (the huts). It is near the city of Tres Marias. Okay, I'm sure the Virgin Mary is one of them, but who are the other two Marys?

So, now I know there the word cabana comes from, which are little tent-like rooms that surround every hotel pool in Vegas. The next time I find myself invited into one, which isn't often, I will regale the cocktail waitress with trivia about the origin of the word. Yes, that's why I get all the ladies.

Ejemplo time.

El profesor está pasando mucho tiempo en la cabaña de Mary Ann. Tal vez le gusta sus pastels de coco créme. = The Professor has been spending a lot of time in Mary Ann's hut. Maybe he likes her coconut creme pies.
  • Jump to: