Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 22nd, 2011 at 5:20:06 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Google Translate proposes:

I'm not going to argue with a machine translator over a human intermediary. if Google has something to say to me, it can email me. :)

Quote:

encariñamiento is translated as "grown fondly of" by Google

That's what it would mean if it were a real word. "Encariñar" means to grow fond of"
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
September 23rd, 2011 at 7:59:09 AM permalink
Fecha: 23 de Septíembre 2011
Palabra: PESCAR

I think many Gringos at least know that pescar means to fish. It is obviously related to pescado = fish (as a noun) and pescadero = fisherman.

However, pescar can also mean to catch. Not necessarily fish, but anything. We also see in English usage of the verb fish to catch things besides fish. For example, after a breakup a common expression of consejo (advice) is "there are a lot more fish in the sea." Some people have been known to fish for compliments. Even Jesus said he would make is disciples "fishers of men."

Ejemplo time.

El pescó una buena esposa = He caught a good wife. (corrected)
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:11:44 AM permalink
For the record your presentation and explanation of today's word were very good. But then:

Quote: Wizard

El pescó un buen esposa = He caught a good wife.

"El pescó unA buenA esposa."

You might as well declare all-out war on the gender of nouns :)

Anyway, another related word in English is catch. Fresh fish for sale are referred to as "catch of the day," and a good marital propsect is seen as "a good catch."

Oh, consuelo doesn't mean advice. That's "consejo." "Consuelo" means "console," as in to alleviate or assuage grief, sorrow or emotional pain and suffering.

So:

Pescar = to fish, to catch
Consolar = to console
Aconsejar = to advice
Consejo = advice or counsel

And related phonetically and orthographically:

Concejo = Council
Conejo = Rabbit
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:16:50 AM permalink
Thanks for all the corrections. Not my best day. I give myself a D+. I wonder what FrGamble would give me as a penitencia = penance?
Nareed
Nareed
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:23:19 AM permalink

Thanks for all the corrections. Not my best day. I give myself a D+.

You're welcome.

I'd give you a B+, actually, since you used the word of the day correctly and you exlpained it well. The only failing was in the nouns, which we know are a cronic problem.

On the ancillary word "consuelo" you made a mistake, but I'd give you points for trying to use more Spanish in the explanation. Besides it was close.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:33:47 AM permalink

Thanks for all the corrections. Not my best day. I give myself a D+. I wonder what FrGamble would give me as a penitencia = penance?

I think he would go light on you. He would require you to go to Jerry's Nugget for the night to practice your Spanish on some Mexicans.

According to the 2004 American Community Survey from the United States Census Bureau, 1 in 5 Nevadans can speak Spanish.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:49:22 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think he would go light on you. He would require you to go to Jerry's Nugget for the night to practice your Spanish on some Mexicans.

To be honest, I'm tempted to go anyway. I don't think my wife would buy that a priest made me go.

I can honestly say I understood every word on that seña.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:52:39 AM permalink

However, pescar can also mean to catch.

Keep in mind that this definition is colloquial
1. To fish
2. tr. coloq. Contraer una dolencia o enfermedad.
3. tr. coloq. Coger, agarrar o tomar cualquier cosa.
4. tr. coloq. Coger a alguien en las palabras o en los hechos, cuando no lo esperaba, o sin prevención.
5. tr. coloq. Lograr o conseguir astutamente lo que se pretendía o anhelaba.
6. tr. coloq. Entender, captar con rapidez el significado de algo.

Personally, it looks like dangerous territory with wide room for misinterpretation. Coger is almost universally understood in Argentina for it's sexual connotations. There is a colloquial definition (#2) of contracting a disease. Also the concept of "Catching on" (#5) or understanding quickly and easily. It sounds like you could intend to say something benign, and accidentally end up being insulting or crude.

I have no idea how you would use "pescar" in keeping with the 5th definition. Maybe Nareed can help. But it sounds like you get what you want, by any means necessary.

The third defintion reminds of upper management's reaction to auditors sent from congress. We were always told to answer questions in very short sentence, or to replay back in writing to their questions. The auditors were said to "going on a fishing trip".
Nareed
Nareed
September 23rd, 2011 at 9:19:07 AM permalink

To be honest, I'm tempted to go anyway. I don't think my wife would buy that a priest made me go.

Would she buy that you're reviewing it for your website?

You would review it, yes ? :)

Quote:

I can honestly say I understood every word on that seña.

If you mean the poster Paco (the happy illustrator) linked to, then it's a "cartel" with the unwritten accent in the last syllable, or "poster," or "anuncio." The alst means "ad"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 23rd, 2011 at 10:40:18 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Would she buy that you're reviewing it for your website?

You would review it, yes ? :)

Skepticism is subtly expressed every time I leave the house for allegedly business reasons. It was not even subtle with my trip back east last week. I admit that in my world the lines between business and pleasure are sometimes blurry, but give me some credit for finding a fun job for myself.

Indeed, I would write about it. Perhaps as an overall review of Jerry's Nugget. It doesn't appear on the hotel list, because there is no hotel component to it.

• Jump to: