Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
October 22nd, 2011 at 6:32:03 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

What is it, Spanish for horny teens with no manners or tact? :)

That is about the state of my brain at least, in a middle-aged man's body.

This is not the only time they remarked that "body parts are never possessive in Spanish." I went through their whole 30-lesson course, and they made this point multiple times. So, with all due respect, I'm going to have to turn to my Spanish tutor on this one for a third opinion.

p.s. I see Paco has diplomatically stayed out of this one. However, I invite you to take stand.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 22nd, 2011 at 6:44:30 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That is about the state of my brain at least, in a middle-aged man's body.

I don't think so. But I would believe you f you meant you haven't lost your sense of humor or all your idealism.

Quote:

p.s. I see Paco has diplomatically stayed out of this one. However, I invite you to take stand.

I don't feel strongly enough to take a stand.

But I think the possessiveness is implied if not explicit. Also when speaking of other parties as in "les hice señas pero no vieron mi mano," seems perfectly ok.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 22nd, 2011 at 8:06:18 PM permalink
Scroll to the bottom of this page. Or just take my word for it that it says:

Quote: www.studyspanish.com

Note that these possessive adjectives are not used with articles of clothing or body parts. Rather, the definite article is used.

Me gusta el vestido nuevo.
I like my new dress

Me duele el brazo.
My arm hurts.

Nareed
Nareed
October 22nd, 2011 at 9:02:25 PM permalink
I disagree.

The example you cite, "me gusta el vestido nuevo," does not specify whose dress it is. Is the speaker referring to her dress or someone else's? The translation is "I like the new dress." If I say "compré un vestido," I'm saying "I bought a new dress," and again you can't determine whom I bought it for. If I say "me compré un vestido" than I'm saying "I bought myself a dress," and then it's clear.

I maintain using the possessive may be unnecessary, but it's not "forbidden" by usage.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 22nd, 2011 at 9:09:35 PM permalink

I maintain using the possessive may be unnecessary, but it's not "forbidden" by usage.

You're the first person I've heard say that it isn't forbidden. I called my tutor to ask about this, but she didn't answer, so I left a message. Meanwhile, here is another source to argue my side:

Quote: spanish.about.com

Overuse of the possessive adjectives: The possessive adjectives are used in most cases in the same way as they are used in English. However, you should be aware that in many instances — especially when speaking of body parts, clothing and items intimately associated with an individual — Spanish uses the definite article (el, la, los or las), the equivalent of "the," instead of possessive adjectives.

Source: http://spanish.about.com/od/adjectives/a/possessive_adjectives.htm
Nareed
Nareed
October 22nd, 2011 at 9:45:48 PM permalink
Re-read your post. it says "in many instances," not in all instances. So it's unusual and sometimes redundant. But it's not forbidden as far as I know.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 22nd, 2011 at 9:47:33 PM permalink
Okay, my maestra de Español just called. She took a middle ground between the two of us. Here is the summary of about a 15-minute discussion about this.

At least in Argentina, possessive adjectives are avoided, but not absolutely forbidden. Usually if a body part is mentioned the verb is reflexive, which would cause the owner of the body part to be identified in the verb. If that is the case, then the article would definitely be el/la/los/las, because it would be redundant to say mi/mis. In the case of my ejemplo, she said she would have said sacame la espina de la puta. Here the me indicates whose paw it is, so we can safely say la puta.

When I tried to convey Nareed's point of view she said that Mexican Spanish is much looser with possessive adjectives. In Argentina they would only be used as a last resort, but in Mexico it is no big deal to use possessive adjectives for body parts and clothing.
Nareed
Nareed
October 22nd, 2011 at 9:53:40 PM permalink

Here the me indicates whose paw it is, so we can safely say la puta.

Remove the splinter from the whore?

I read a novel once where a character is trying to learn a difficult alien tongue. At one point he says "I am a fishing boat" in an attempt to use the language. It seems you're getting there :)

Quote:

When I tried to convey Nareed's point of view she said that Mexican Spanish is much looser with possessive adjectives. In Argentina they would only be used as a last resort, but in Mexico it is no big deal to use possessive adjectives for body parts and clothing.

Maybe. But we don't speak in such an irritating fashion nor cling to archaic pronouns.

Just don't tell her that. Flame wars by proxy are not fun.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 22nd, 2011 at 10:14:21 PM permalink

Remove the splinter from the whore?

What can I say? That about says it all when it comes to my Spanish ability.

I know it is a piss-pour excuse, but the guy who cleans my pool is from Nicaragua, and enjoys teaching me Spanish slang. The last time he spoke all about putas, which is why that word must have stuck in my head.

Seriously, your remark gave me the best laugh I've had in days.
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 5:29:07 AM permalink

Seriously, your remark gave me the best laugh I've had in days.

My remark? It wasn't me who said it.

BTW if you're ever down here, or up in Baja, and ask a waitress for a "tostada de puta," don't blame me if you get violently thrown out.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:03:32 AM permalink
Fecha: 23 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Durango
Palabra: alacrán

Cincinnati Bengals.

Today's state is Durango. It is a large and sparsely populated state in central Mexico. There is also a Ford pick-up camíon by the same name.

I read that Durango is famous for scorpions, and the residents are even known by that term. Entonces, today's SWD is alacrán = scorpion. As usual, it would be too easy if anything had just one word, so we also have the word escorpión.

Ejemplo time.

No nadas en este lago. Esta leno de los alacráns. = Don't swim in this lake. It is full of scorpions.
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:24:53 AM permalink

No nadas en este lago. Esta leno de los alacráns. = Don't swim in this lake. It is full of scorpions.

Oy vey.

"No nadES en este lago. Esta lleno de alacranes." Remember simply adding an "s" at the end to get the plural isn't always the case in Spanish.

Also, scorpions don't swim. Remember the fable of the turtle and the scorpion?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:32:16 AM permalink

"No nadES en este lago. Esta lleno de alacranes." Remember simply adding an "s" at the end to get the plural isn't always the case in Spanish.

I see you're using the subjunctive tense. I'm still working on the simple present, past, and future. Agreed, I should have got the es.

Also, scorpions don't swim. Remember the fable of the turtle and the scorpion?

Punto bueno.
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:37:04 AM permalink

Punto bueno.

"Buen punto"

Sorry :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:39:59 AM permalink

"Buen punto"

Why do you put the buen first? I thought the adjective generally comes after the noun.
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:57:02 AM permalink

Why do you put the buen first? I thought the adjective generally comes after the noun.

I don't really know. I've been thinking about it, and perhaps adjectives to qualify things as good or bad are different. For instance:

"El Ciudadano Kane es una muy buena película."

"No existe tal cosa como un buen camarón."

"El futbol es un pésimo deporte, si le puedes llamar deporte."

See?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:30:39 AM permalink
I thought the regla de pulgar was that the adjective comes after the noun unless you really want to emphasize the adjective. I've also noticed that when two adjectives are used to describe a noun that the noun tends to go in the middle the two adjective, but have never seen that rule actually addressed.

Are you suggesting there is an exception for buen y buena?

On another topic, there was a joke in Paranormal Activity III. A character took a book from the library without checking it out. Another character notices the checkout card is still in the front. For the benefit of the youngsters in the forum, before computers library books came with a card and jacket in the front. When you checked it out they would remove it and write down the borrowers name and due date on it. So, the conversation went like this:

Jim: Did you steal this book from the library?
John: You're allowed to take books from the library.
Jim: You're supposed to get a library card and check it out.
John: The concept is that you're entitled to take books from the library. That is why in Spanish they call it a biblio-take-it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:34:35 AM permalink

I don't really know. I've been thinking about it, and perhaps adjectives to qualify things as good or bad are different.

One linguist offers three cases where the adjectives go before the noun. This case seems to qualify because there is emotive content to the phrase,

Adjectives that reinforce the meaning of the noun, such as adjectives that "go with" the accompanying noun, often are placed before the noun. In many cases, one might also say that the purpose of these adjectives is less for describing the noun that's modified and more for conveying some sort of an emotion to it.
Examples: Una oscura noche, a dark night; el horrible monstruo, the horrible monster; la alta montaña, the high mountain; la blanca nieve, the white snow.

Nondescriptive adjectives: Many adjectives other than those that describe go before the noun.
Examples: Pocos libros, few books; muchas palomas, many doves; mi casa, my house; esta mesa, this table; dos libros, two books. Sometimes these adjectives are known by other names, such as possessive pronouns and determiners.

Meaning-changing adjectives: Some adjectives change in meaning (or at least in English translation) depending on whether they're placed before or after the noun. Generally, the adjectives placed after nouns have an objective meaning or one that carries little or no emotional content, while one placed before the noun can indicate something about how the speaker feels toward the person or thing being described.
Example: Mi viejo amigo, my longtime friend; mi amigo viejo, my elderly friend.

tener un accidente
tener un aire a
tener un aire de
tener un alcance superior a
tener un alto concepto de
tener un amigo en la corte
tener un año
tener un año de edad
tener un apego
tener un apetito feroz
tener un argumento convincente
tener un arranque de cólera
tener un arrebato de cólera
tener un asunto con
tener un ataque
tener un ataque de delírium tremens
tener un ataque de risa
tener un buen asidero en
tener un buen asiento
tener un buen cuerpo
tener un buen día
tener un buen diente
tener un buen dominio de
tener un buen lugar
tener un buen número de suscriptores
tener un buen punto
tener un buen saque
tener un cabreo
tener un calambre
tener un calambre en un músculo
tener un calentón
tener un carácter dominante
tener un carácter probativo respecto a
tener un caso
tener un chinguero de
tener un chispazo
tener un choque
tener un cincuenta por ciento de probabilidad
tener un clavo en el corazón
tener un colapso nervioso
tener un combate menor
tener un combate menor a caballo
tener un comienzo brillante
tener un concepto diferente ahora
tener un cosquilleo en el estómago
tener un declive
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 10:39:36 AM permalink

I thought the regla de pulgar

Some expressions don't travel well. The translation for "rule of thumb," while accurate, is meaningless.

Quote:

I'm suggesting it looks that way. Also for malo, pésimo, etc.

Quote:

On another topic, there was a joke in Paranormal Activity III.

If the whole movie was of that caliber, then I can see why you didn't like it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 23rd, 2011 at 12:38:35 PM permalink

There is more emotional content in the first phrase, so the adjective goes first

" él tiene un buen punto"
" él tiene una clase buena"

He has a good point.
He has a good class.

For example:

Tengo un viejo amigo.
Tengo un amigo viejo.

The first is more emotional- I have a longtime friend.
The second is more factual - I have an old friend.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:00:08 PM permalink
Fecha: 24 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Guanajuato
Palabra: cañada

Green Bay Packers, por supuesto!

Guanajuato is a state in central Mexico. It was not easy finding a good SWD of the day for the state, so I looked at the map, and stumbled upon cañada. I thought it might mean maple syrup, beaver, or igloo, but it actually means cattle trail.

Ejemplo time.

Despues siguindo este cañada, me encontró un viejo amigo. = After following this cattle trail, I found a longtime friend.
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:30:03 PM permalink

Guanajuato is a state in central Mexico. It was not easy finding a good SWD of the day for the state,

Proof you've never been there. if you had, you'd have picked "momia."

Quote:

Despues siguindo este cañada, me encontró un viejo amigo. = After following this cattle trail, I found a longtime friend.

You actually said, typos aside, "After following this cattle trail, an old friend found me."

So: "Despues DE SEGUIR esta cañada, me encontrÉ a un viejo amigo."
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 24th, 2011 at 5:38:16 AM permalink

Proof you've never been there. if you had, you'd have picked "momia."

A couple of the group of momias temporarily emigrated from Guanajuato and went to Chicago a few years ago.

President GW Bush broke tradition and pointedly made his first international visit in 2001 not to Canada (the real Canada, not La Cañada), but to Guanajuato. He went to Vicente Fox's ranch for the first ever cowboy summit where he was presented with a beautiful new pair of exotic boots from the Country of Mexico.

La Cañada, Flintridge, is an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2011 at 6:51:36 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

A couple of the group of momias temporarily emigrated from Guanajuato and went to Chicago a few years ago.

Ins't it gross? Anyway, thinking more on it, there's the state of Guanajuato and the city of the same name. The mummies are in the city. The state itself is known for three products: strawberries, cajeta and shoes/boots.

Quote:

(the real Canada, not La Cañada),

Are the words even related?

Cañada is also the space between two pieces of land at different heights (so the dictionary says), I guess something like a ravine.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 24th, 2011 at 12:38:33 PM permalink

La Cañada, Flintridge, is an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.

I knew I heard of La Cañada somewhere. I've probably heard it mentioned a thousands times in traffic reports when I used to in the LA area.

Speaking of GWB, I know he claimed to speak Spanish, but how well did he know the language? In the movie W there was a scene of him speaking with a wounded soldier en Español and it sounded about at my level -- perhaps even lower.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 24th, 2011 at 2:11:08 PM permalink
Canada is a derivation of the Iroquois word "Kanata", meaning village or settlement.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 24th, 2011 at 5:52:40 PM permalink

Speaking of GWB, I know he claimed to speak Spanish, but how well did he know the language?

George W. Bush Fakin' It
George was studying Spanish while Al Gore was inventing the internet. But Bill Clinton claimed he understood the concept of e-mail, although he didn't actually do it.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2011 at 5:57:23 PM permalink

But Bill Clinton claimed he understood the concept of e-mail, although he didn't actually do it.

He must have inhaled.

But of course, it depends on what the definition of the word "is" is.

For good measure: "I am not a crook"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 25th, 2011 at 7:21:25 AM permalink
Fecha: 25 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Guerrero
Palabra: cueva

Jacksonville Jaguars.

Today's state is Guerrero. It lays along the west coast and is home to Acapulco. This is one of the states I have been to, on a cruise ship stop. The quintessential touristy thing to do in Acapulco is see the cliff divers.

The SWD is cueva, for the many caves in Guerrero. The most famous are in Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park. This brings up a related word, gruta = grotto.

Ejemplo time.

A atardecer, muchos murciélagos vuelen fuera de la cueva. = At sunset, lots of bats fly out of the cave.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2011 at 7:28:31 AM permalink

Jacksonville Jaguars.

Not in 1975...

Quote:

The SWD is cueva, for the many caves in Guerrero. The most famous are in Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park. This brings up a related word, gruta = grotto.

Really? I thought they were in Morelos. But then morelos is so small you can step out of it if you move :)

Quote:

A atardecer, muchos murciélagos vuelen fuera de la cueva. = At sunset, lots of bats fly out of the cave.

"aL atardecer muchos murciélagos vuelAn furea de la cueva." Otherwise you did fine.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 25th, 2011 at 7:51:41 AM permalink

Really? I thought they were in Morelos. But then morelos is so small you can step out of it if you move :)

You would drive through Morelos from DF, but the park is a few miles outside of the state border. It is actually at the intersection of Morelos, Guerrera, and Mexico, but the park is all in the Guerrero state limits.

Besides Acapulco, the prettiest city in Guerrera is Taxco, the silver city. An old silver mining town, an American, William Spalding, got foreigners interested in the town in the 1920's. It is now one of the centers of silversmithing in Mexico, and Taxco is a highly recognized brand. You can go there as a day trip from Acapulco.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 25th, 2011 at 8:26:37 AM permalink
Hoy es Martes, que significado mi limpiadora de casas, Lupe, esta aquí. Ella dice que hay no problema con diciendo "mi pie." In other words, there is nothing wrong with possessive body parts and clothing in Spanish. When I showed her the video that said "body parts are never possessive in Spanish," she said something about various forms of Spanish and they are not igual. She then went onto complain about how complicated the English rules of pronunciation are.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 25th, 2011 at 9:03:25 AM permalink

She then went onto complain about how complicated the English rules of pronunciation are.

Show her what English used to look like before we adopted the Latin alphabet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 25th, 2011 at 9:06:32 AM permalink

Show her what English used to look like before we adopted the Latin alphabet.

That looks like Elvish, from Lord of the Rings.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2011 at 11:09:41 AM permalink

Hoy es Martes, que significado mi limpiadora de casas, Lupe, esta aquí. Ella dice que hay no problema con diciendo "mi pie."

"que significa" and "no hay problema con decir"

Quote:

She then went onto complain about how complicated the English rules of pronunciation are.

There are rules of pronunciation in English? Really? :P
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 25th, 2011 at 11:12:48 AM permalink

"no hay problema con decir"

Why would it not be diciendo? The English word I was going for was "saying."
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2011 at 11:46:52 AM permalink

Why would it not be diciendo? The English word I was going for was "saying."

You also said "with." That preposition doens't work with "diciendo."

You can say "no hay problema diciendo..." but that sounds worng. It's not, but it sounds that way.

In fact, thiking it over, i'd go with "no hay problema EN decir..."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 25th, 2011 at 7:48:50 PM permalink
Fecha: 26 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Hidalgo
Palabra: Ardilla

Today's state is Hidalgo. It is a land-locked state in central Mexico I seldom hear about. The Wikipedia page says they like to eat bugs and rodents there, including adrillas = squirrels.

Ejemplo time.

Mozo, me gustan la ardilla asada, ensalada de chicharras, y un pastel de escamoles, por favor = Waiter, I would like to have the roasted squirrel, cicada salad, and an ant-egg cake, please.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2011 at 8:58:57 PM permalink
Sorry, I stepped on your post. Can I trouble you to write it again? -- Wiz
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 25th, 2011 at 9:58:54 PM permalink

Today's state is Hidalgo. It is a land-locked state in central Mexico I seldom hear about.

I kind of feel the same way about Hidalgo. I've never been there and I have no desire to go. It's one of the lower states in Mexico in terms of Human Development Index. I have eaten escamoles or "ant eggs", but the thought of eating a squirrel makes me gag. It does have cultural artifacts, but they pale in quality to many others in Mexico.

Hidalgo was the subject of a ghastly intellectual film from 2002 (with an unlikely name).
Nareed
Nareed
October 26th, 2011 at 1:09:30 PM permalink

Mozo, me gustan la ardilla asada, ensalada de chicharras, y un pastel de escamoles, por favor = Waiter, I would like to have the roasted squirrel, cicada salad, and an ant-egg cake, please.

I said:

"Mozo, QUIERO la ardilla asada...."

You don't usually order by saying "I would like," but rather "I will have," or "I want."

Also as far as I know "chicharra" is a word for "buzzer."

Or words to that effect.

Also, while you'd be understood in most places by using "mozo" the word most often used is "joven" which means pretty much the same thing. neitehr means waiter, BTW. The word for that is "mesero."

I you have a waitress (meserA), the word to use is "señorita."

That's a rather new plate. Part of your collection?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 26th, 2011 at 1:58:59 PM permalink

"Mozo, QUIERO la ardilla asada...."

You don't usually order by saying "I would like," but rather "I will have," or "I want."

Telling the waiter "I want..." seems so rude. It is like you are bossing him/her around. This transcends restaurants. In almost any situation where one person is allowed/supposed to tell the other what to do, it is good manners to ask anyway, or state what you hope they will do. Exceptions might be for a coach or drill sergeant. Of course, I'm just talking about here. I think in China you would just start barking orders at the waiter.

Saying "I will have..." is also okay, but I think doesn't come off as nicely as "May I have..." or "I would like..."

Quote:

Also, while you'd be understood in most places by using "mozo" the word most often used is "joven" which means pretty much the same thing. neitehr means waiter, BTW. The word for that is "mesero." I you have a waitress (meserA), the word to use is "señorita."

I wasn't sure what word to use for "waiter." As I recall, the choices were mozo or joven. However, joven wouldn't seem appropriate if the waiter was old. Same issue with señorita, what if she was 70 years old? Some cocktail waitresses at the Riviera are that old, and still have to wear revealing outfits meant for a woman 50 years younger. I'd feel silly calling one of them señorita. Then again, maybe they would like it.

Quote:

Part of your collection?

All the pictures are. I've got about 75% of the states in my motocicleta run, and about 90% in the newer graphic format. I also bought that set of mostly 76 plates that were on Ebay about a month ago.

Sorry, again, about stepping on your post. I don't know why I only do that to you.
Nareed
Nareed
October 26th, 2011 at 3:34:54 PM permalink

Telling the waiter "I want..." seems so rude. It is like you are bossing him/her around.

The action of ordering in a restaurant is called ordering for a reason :)

But you could also say "le pido...." or "me trae...." or "le ordeno un..."

Quote:

I wasn't sure what word to use for "waiter." As I recall, the choices were mozo or joven. However, joven wouldn't seem appropriate if the waiter was old.

You get used to it.

When I'm in America, I usually call the waitress "Miss." I can't recall what I call waiters.

Quote:

Same issue with señorita, what if she was 70 years old?

You get used to that, too.

Quote:

I also bought that set of mostly 76 plates that were on Ebay about a month ago.

I should have bet on whether you'd get it or not...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 26th, 2011 at 3:43:02 PM permalink

I should have bet on whether you'd get it or not...

I would have given you very good odds, at least 100 to 1. I've purchased hundreds of things on eBay and was only cheated once, to the tune of about $700. I filed a complaint with Paypal too late for them to do anything about it. My fault for giving the other party too much time to respond to my many messages. Long story.
Nareed
Nareed
October 26th, 2011 at 4:00:24 PM permalink

I would have given you very good odds, at least 100 to 1.

I wouldn't have bet against you. I mean, you don't bet with the person capable of determining the outcome. And I'm not sure what you'd prefer: to add to your collection, or to win a bet no matter how small.

Quote:

I've purchased hundreds of things on eBay and was only cheated once,

I used to shop there a lot. It's changed, alas, and not quite for the better. I also only got cheated once.

Quote:

to the tune of about $700.

Not that badly. I bought a denim jumper for, say $20, which I thought was a fair price (it was more, but I don't recall exactly). It arrived, reasonably on time, but it had a price tag on stating, say $17.50 All I did was leave some bad feedback.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 26th, 2011 at 6:46:26 PM permalink
Fecha: 27 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Jalisco
Palabra: Jarabe

Kansas City Chiefs.

Jalisco is another state along the Pacific coast and home to Mexico's second largest city, Guadalajara. It is also one of the states I can claim to have been to, after a stop in Puerto Vallarta on a cruise.

Today's SWD is Jarabe, which is a kind of dance popular in Jalisco, which means syrup. It must come from the verb
jarabear
, which means to drink sweet beverages frequently. I find it extraño that they would have a word for such an obscure habit, yet still no single word for toe.

Ejemplo time.

Normalmentle me gusta jarabe sobre mis crepes, pero tengo miedo de la botella Señora Mantequilla. = Normally I like syrup on my pancakes, but I'm afraid of the Mrs. Butterworth's bottle.

pacomartin
pacomartin
October 26th, 2011 at 6:58:17 PM permalink

Jalisco is another state along the Pacific coast and home to Mexico's second largest city, Guadalajara. It is also one of the states I can claim to have been to, after a stop in Puerto Vallarta on a cruise.

Jalisco and Guadalajara are to Mexico what the province and city of Sevilla are to Spain. They both developed a somewhat unique culture in their country, but to the rest of the world they are the exemplar of that nation. Sevilla with flamenco dancing and the magnificent architecture built on the massive amount of money brought in from the New World. Guadalajara was the birthplace of Mariachi music, and the hat dance which came to signify Mexico around the world.

Puerto Vallarta was a tiny fishing village when they began filming the Night of the Iguana. So many reporters came to report on Liz and Dick, they ended up making the city world famous.

And of course, just outside of Guadalajara is one of the most famous little towns in the world.

The hispanic population of Los Angeles is 1,888,158 as of 2010 and still growing. Most Latinos in LA are Mexican. The population of Guadalajara 1,564,514 and shrinking. Monterrey's population is 1,130,960.
Nareed
Nareed
October 26th, 2011 at 7:52:05 PM permalink

Today's SWD is Jarabe, which is a kind of dance popular in Jalisco, which means syrup. It must come from the verb jarabear, which means to drink sweet beverages frequently.

You're making me work extra today....

The dictionary says "jarabear" means "to prescribe syrups often," as a doctor would do and "to drink syrups often for purgind purposes."

The dance as far asI know consists of one song called "El Jarabe Tapatio." The last word is to refer to people and things from Guadalajara, Jalisco's cpaital. I've heard there's something called "El Jarabe Nayarita," presumably from Jalisco's neighboring state Nayarit.

Quote:

I find it extraño that they would have a word for such an obscure habit, yet still no single word for toe.

Whether it means that or what the dictionary says, I find it odd, too; toe or no toe, too.

Quote:

Normalmentle me gusta jarabe sobre mis crepes, pero tengo miedo de la botella Señora Mantequilla. = Normally I like syrup on my pancakes, but I'm afraid of the Mrs. Butterworth's bottle.

Normalmente me gusta PONERLE" or "Normalmente me gusta EL" "Jarabe sobre mis hot cakes [that was a word of the day once, one of mine]. pero LE tengo miedo a la botella de Mrs. Butterworth's."

Butterworth's is a name, and names are not to be translated. Brand names either. Besides, it doesn't mean "butter." You could go so far as to say "la botella de la Señora Butterworth's," as "Mrs." is a title and not a name.

Oh, "crepes" is not Spanish. There is a word "crepa" which means "crepe" but those aren't pancakes. They're often made with pancake batter, yes, but they're not supposed to be.
Nareed
Nareed
October 26th, 2011 at 7:56:15 PM permalink

Guadalajara was the birthplace of Mariachi music, and the hat dance which came to signify Mexico around the world.

Well, yes. But it would be unfair and it would be too late to nuke the place now :P
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 26th, 2011 at 8:04:59 PM permalink

The dictionary says "jarabear" means "to prescribe syrups often,"

Sounds like my mother. She always made me drink a lot of cough syrup whenever I was sick.

... pero LE tengo miedo a la botella de Mrs. Butterworth's."

Why the le? We have already established what I'm afraid of, so the "le" seems redundant. Also, why didn't you put lo?

Butterworth's is a name, and names are not to be translated. Brand names either. Besides, it doesn't mean "butter."

Then why do they translate Santa Claus into Papá Noel? Isn't Santa Claus a name?
  • Jump to: