Thread Rating:

zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
May 25th, 2011 at 3:07:22 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

LOWE: Once you go through your turn in the barrel, you have a unique perspective on it. And what I've learned is it's a good thing to be in the business long enough that you have your turn in the barrel. It's really easy to be, you know, a one hit wonder who never gets his turn. It's also real easy to be in the barrel and never come out of it.

Now, almost everyone knows that Rob Lowe is using the punchline of an old vulgar sailor's joke. But the phrase has pretty much worked it's way into the language so that it is not considered very offensive. But the term "glory hole" while also not actually cursing is still considered pretty vulgar. You couldn't work that into an interview without making TV censors uncomfortable. Most of the time, it is better to stay on the safe side, and not to use words that are considered vulgar anywhere.

In addition to glory hole, other words not actually vulgar per sé, but are banned by TV censors, include cameltoe and MILF. I remember reading even Two and a Half Men had trouble getting those past the network years ago.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 25th, 2011 at 3:19:42 PM permalink
Quote: Curious55

Hola,Yes , Dia is masculine. El dia, el planeta, el turista, el problema are masculine words ending in "a"
La mano is a feminine word ending by "o and ....
El agua is a feminine word needing.... El
:)))

The latin word for day was dies, the word we get diety from. The days are named after male gods.
Spanish days are named after Roman gods (Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus) while English days are named after Nordic Gods (Týr, 'W'Odin, Thor, Freyja ). Monday is named for the moon in both languages.

As I said earlier, I was always told that there is no comprehensive way to figure out gender of nouns. In many cases even scholars cannot figure it out.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 25th, 2011 at 3:45:03 PM permalink
Venus wasn't male :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
May 25th, 2011 at 6:48:43 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Perhaps he heard just once instance of a misuse of the word, and blamed it on a whole class of people. There seems to be a lot of elitism here about the language.

Sorry. Way too much work today and I had to actually do it rather than just pretend :P

Anyway, most people I know who've travelled to South America or Spain, spend inordinate amounts of time telling us folks back home about how they magle spanish over there (even in Spain). Of course I tend to agree. When you are used to one way of using a language, any other use seems odd, wrong and distasteful much of the time.

For instance, two things I can't stand about how Spaniards use the language is:

1) Instead of writing one million thus: 1,000,000.00 they write it like so: 1.000.000,00 Really. for some reaon they invert the use of commas and the decimal point. they will give amoutns like "five comma thirty seven." Tell em that doesn't sound like someone giving coordinates rather than a price.

2) They insist on translating the first names of foreigners. I can give it a pass with some really strange names. but reading things like "El presidente Guillermo Clinton...." is annoying. I wonder what they call Barack Obama.

So there you go...
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
May 25th, 2011 at 7:54:41 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

2) They insist on translating the first names of foreigners. I can give it a pass with some really strange names. but reading things like "El presidente Guillermo Clinton...." is annoying. I wonder what they call Barack Obama.

This is a pet peeve of mine, and I've heard other languages do it as well. I personally feel that your name is your name, and is not something that is "translatable". If your name is John, it doesn't become Juan in Mexico or Hans in Germany. Your name is still John.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 25th, 2011 at 11:12:37 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think they did not get the original funding they were seeking. But the Oakland school system resolution was meant to recognize the language as part of an ongoing requirement to seek funding, an to compensate teachers who were fluent in both languages. While the term "ebonics" had been in use in linguistic circles for over 20 years, it has largely been replaced with AAVE because of the vitriolic backlash to this controversy.

This is getting off topic, but I, for one, don't consider Ebonics a language, and teachers should not get a bonus for being able to speak in slang English. I prefer the term Ebonics.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
May 25th, 2011 at 11:29:18 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

This is a pet peeve of mine, and I've heard other languages do it as well. I personally feel that your name is your name, and is not something that is "translatable". If your name is John, it doesn't become Juan in Mexico or Hans in Germany. Your name is still John.

Well, many names have equivalents in other languages. This is true in particular of Western languages. But a given anme of a specific person in a given language is that person's name, and should not be translated when referring to that person.

There are exceptions. In america the previous Pope was known was John Paul II. In Mexico he was called Juan Pablo II. But I've heard Popes take name sin Latin, and it's customary to translate that. I'd also accept to amke an exception for names that are too hard to pronounce for the speakers of one language, but that's relatively rare.

Incidentally, most Mexicans are incapable of pronouncing properly the letter "S" in words that begin with S and another consonant. For example "Style." Most Mexicans would say "estyle." I've no idea where the extra e comes fomr, as I've never had a problem with such pronunciation.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 25th, 2011 at 11:57:33 PM permalink
Fecha: 26 de Mayo, 2011
Palabra del día = PARDALL

I think this will be my last word of the day coming from Isla Vista. Some streets I haven't mentioned yet are too easy or obscure to cover, like:

Camino Lindo = Nice Way
Camino Corto = Short Way
Fortuna Lane = Fortune Way
Estero Road = Estuary Road
Embarcadero del Norte = North Harbor
Embarcadero del Mar = Sea Harbor

Then there are several that are streets or islands in Spain, such as: Seville, Cervantes, Cordoba, and Madrid.

The one street I can't figure out is Pardall Road. I rode my bike down this road, which leads to the main bike path between IV and UCSB, thousands of times but never once wondered until now what it meant. Now I won't be able to die in peace until I know.

I can say that pardal, with one l, means sparrow, or a crafty person, in Spanish. Was the extra l a typographical error? I can't find mention of any city in Spain called Pardal or Parall. Maybe it refers to Manuel Rivero Pardal, a 17th century Portuguese pirate.

My best guess is they meant the sparrow, but misspelled it with two ls (do I use an apostrophe there?).

So the meaning of the word of May 26 is a mystery. Get to it detectives!

GoogleMap.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
May 26th, 2011 at 12:29:28 AM permalink
It's a typo. Remember the double L in spanish sounds more like the English Y, as in lluvia, allá, querella, etc. There are no Spanish words ending in double LL. If you find one it's etiher a typo or a word adapted from another language.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
May 26th, 2011 at 12:59:36 AM permalink
damn nareed, what are you still doing up? Don't you have to work in the morning? lol
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."

• Jump to: