Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 29th, 2011 at 8:31:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I finally found Las Cabañas (the huts).

Not really. The word for hut is "choza." "Cabaña" means "cabin" as in a small house made with logs. Now guess what "cabina" means.

Quote:

It is near the city of Tres Marias. Okay, I'm sure the Virgin Mary is one of them, but who are the other two Marys?

It's a city? I had no idea. When I drive to Cuernavaca in Morelos, Tres Marías is a mere reference point, where there's a cluster of restaurants and small shops. It's traditional to stop there for breakfast on the way.

Quote:

So, now I know there the word cabana comes from, which are little tent-like rooms that surround every hotel pool in Vegas.

And other places, too. But see above.

Quote:

El profesor está pasando mucho tiempo en la cabaña de Mary Ann. Tal vez le gusta sus pastels de coco créme. = The Professor has been spending a lot of time in Mary Ann's hut. Maybe he likes her coconut creme pies.

Hmm. I don't know how you'd translate coconut cream pie. "Pastel" means cake, not pie (BTW the plural is pastelEs), or a type of crayon, or a shade of some colors.

Pie in Spanish is "pay" but pronounced like pie, or pi, in English. If you don't believe me, check out Pays Coronado, a well-known pie bakery in Mexico City (it's well-known in the western part of town anyway).

As to coconut cream pie, I can only think of "pay de coco."

So: "Tal vez le gustaN sus pays de coco."

Finally, I've no idea where you got the word "créme." The word for "cream" is "crema." And, no, you won't hear "pay de crema de coco," because "crema de coco" is a kind of coconut pulp paste used for making piña coladas and other things. Click here and enter "calahua" in the search box.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 30th, 2011 at 8:12:16 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Hmm. I don't know how you'd translate coconut cream pie. "Pastel" means cake, not pie (BTW the plural is pastelEs), or a type of crayon, or a shade of some colors.

Pie in Spanish is "pay" but pronounced like pie, or pi, in English. If you don't believe me, check out Pays Coronado, a well-known pie bakery in Mexico City (it's well-known in the western part of town anyway).

Not to say you're equivocado, por supuesto, but every dictionary I've seen says the word for pie is pastel or maybe torta (our first SWD). Perhaps Paco can get to the bottom of it.

Finally, I've no idea where you got the word "créme." The word for "cream" is "crema."

I tried to track down my source, but lost the trail. It seems I was speaking in another language. Perdona mi Francés.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 8:33:35 AM permalink

Not to say you're equivocado, por supuesto,

EquivocadA.

Quote:

but every dictionary I've seen says the word for pie is pastel or maybe torta (our first SWD). Perhaps Paco can get to the bottom of it.

There's no real word for pie, therefore the English word was adopted with Spanish spelling as "pay."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 8:55:17 AM permalink

There's no real word for pie, therefore the English word was adopted with Spanish spelling as "pay."

¿Por qué no los escritors de dicionarios lo saben?
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 9:05:36 AM permalink

¿Por qué no los escritors de dicionarios lo saben?

¿Por qué los escritorEs de diccionario NO lo saben?

Ask them.

Meantime go to google.com.mx and search for "pay" and "pay de piña marinela"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 30th, 2011 at 9:08:30 AM permalink

Not to say you're equivocado, por supuesto, but every dictionary I've seen says the word for pie is pastel or maybe torta (our first SWD). Perhaps Paco can get to the bottom of it.

Old Latin: "torquere" "turn, turn awry, twist, wring, distort"
Middle Latin: "tortum" - "injustice"
Old French: "tort" - "injustice"
Middle English: "tort" - "injury, wrong"
Early Modern English: "tort" - "breach of a duty, whereby someone acquires a right of action for damages"
Central European: "torte" - "multilayered, cake that is filled with buttercreams, mousses, jams or fruits"
European Spanish: "torta" - flat, round plain cake
Mexican Spanish: "torta" - non sweet filled sandwich
Caribbean Spanish: "torta" - pie

He visitado el Hotel Sacher en Viena que el famoso Sachertorte.

Pastel is an Old French word which has been adopted into Spanish unchanged. It is likely to mean different things in different countries.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 10:58:55 AM permalink

Meantime go to google.com.mx and search for "pay" and "pay de piña marinela"

Buscé este anuncio. In English it would be a stretch to say what there were eating was a "pie." However, there is not other particular word for it either. Here I think it would be referred to as a "snack cake." Like a Ding Dong, known as a "King Don" in Maryland.
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 11:07:06 AM permalink

Buscé este anuncio.

BusQUé.

Quote:

In English it would be a stretch to say what there were eating was a "pie." However, there is not other particular word for it either. Here I think it would be referred to as a "snack cake." Like a Ding Dong, known as a "King Don" in Maryland.

A pie is a crust with a filling. That's what the Marinela pays are, even if they're small. They would fall into the "snack cake" category only ebacuse there are other things, more cake-like, which are similar.

In any case, you have the web address for Pays Coronado a few posts up the thread.

BTW according to my reasearch there are under 6,000 people living in Tres Marías. I see more people than that every day on the way to work :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 11:24:45 AM permalink

BTW according to my reasearch there are under 6,000 people living in Tres Marías. I see more people than that every day on the way to work :)

Tu promixo tiempo en Tres Marias, tu tarea estarás descubrir quien son las tres Marias.
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 11:33:06 AM permalink

Tu promixo tiempo en Tres Marias, tu tarea estarás descubrir quien son las tres Marias.

"Tu próxima VEZ en ....." Or more correctly, "La próxima vez que vayas a...."

On the bright side, you found the right pronoun.

On the not so bright side, the last place to look for the meaning of the name is at Tres Marías. But I can look it up online someday.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 30th, 2011 at 11:45:15 AM permalink

On the not so bright side, the last place to look for the meaning of the name is at Tres Marías. But I can look it up online someday.

Donde esta los tres marias? Los islas de Nayarit?

¿Son las Tres Marías en Michoacán recurso?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 11:59:42 AM permalink
Maria Cleofas? I've never heard of her. However, I did find something about her at es.catholic.net.

Tal vez, FrGamble puede ayudarlos.
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 12:16:32 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Donde esta los tres marias? Los islas de Nayarit?

EstáN y LAS islas.

Anyway, no. Those are called Islas Marías and are bets known for having a federal prison in one of them (don't know which one).

There's a flyspeck on the map of Morelos called Tres Marías, which is a very small town of under 6,000. I'm sure more tourists and travelers stop by for breakfast each week, if not each day. assuming it is where I think it is. I only drive to cuernavaca on business, and on the way over I never stop. I hardly ever stop for any reason when going somewhere on business. I credit that, in part, for my perfect on-time record, too.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 12:56:14 PM permalink
Hago tarea do la misteriosa tercero Mary. It seems it refers one of three women that tagged around with Jesus. She is only mentioned by name in this passage:

Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. -- John 19:25

You can't tell from this passage alone, but I think "Mary the wife of Cleophas" is referring to Jesus' tia.

There is support for the "three Marys" in the gospel of Philip, which Protestants do not recognize in the biblical cannon:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary -- Somewhere in Philip

We indeed may need to call in FrG to shed some luz onto this.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 30th, 2011 at 2:06:25 PM permalink

Hago tarea do la misteriosa tercero Mary. It seems it refers one of three women that tagged around with Jesus. She is only mentioned by name in this passage:

Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. -- John 19:25

You can't tell from this passage along, but I think "Mary the wife of Cleophas" is referring to Jesus' tia.

There is support for the "three Marys" in the gospel of Philip, which Protestants do not recognize in the biblical cannon:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary -- Somewhere in Philip

We indeed may need to call in FrG to shed some luz onto this.

Senor Jack Nickolas diseño el campo de golf llama "Tres Marias". Estan cerca Morelia, Michoacan. ( 19°42'28.46"N - 101° 6'25.06"W )
También "Las Tres Marias" es un pueblo en Morelos, en la media de Cuernavaca y Ciudad de Mexico.
También "Las Tres Marias" son tres islas en el Pacifico.

------------------------------
Las tres Marías bíblicos que fueron al sepulcro de Jesús en los Evangelios.
Los cuatro evangelios incluir una mención del incidente, pero sólo Marcos (16:01) identifica a los tres.
Los tres son:
María Magdalena
María de Cleofás
María, madre de Santiago.

María, la madre de Jesús no es uno de ellos.

Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 2:12:48 PM permalink

Hago tarea do la misteriosa tercero Mary.

That seems more like Portuguese than Spanish.

"Hago la tarea DE la misteriosa tercerA MarIA

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 2:40:03 PM permalink

María, madre de Santiago.

¿Quien era Santiago? I thought I knew a thing or two about the bible but I have no idea about anybody by that name. I dug up this web site, but this sounds more like a character in a game or something.

I'm not ready to concede the point on this one yet. I still suspect Jesus' mother was one of the Marys. If not, who is the island Maria Madre referring to?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 30th, 2011 at 3:22:30 PM permalink

¿Quien era Santiago?

Creo que "Santiago" es un nombre se traduce como "James".

My given name is "James", and my 8th grade teacher said that would be "Diego" in Spanish. Later, a South American friend named Jaime told me that his name and mine were the same and that there is not an English version of Diego. Later, I heard that Santiago is a version of James. Help???
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 30th, 2011 at 4:05:40 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

¿Quien era Santiago?

Creo que "Santiago" es un nombre se traduce como "James".

My given name is "James", and my 8th grade teacher said that would be "Diego" in Spanish. Later, a South American friend named Jaime told me that his name and mine were the same and that there is not an English version of Diego. Later, I heard that Santiago is a version of James. Help???

James and Santiago are the same.

"Sant Iago," was first used to denote Saint James the Great, the brother of John the Apostle.

It was also the tradition that Saint James (Santiago) had traveled to the Iberian Peninsula during his life and was buried there. The medieval pilgrimage was the Christian equivalent of the trip to Mecca. The trip was traditionally referred to as The Way and is the subject of the current movie with Martin Sheen and Emilio Esteves.

Another variant is Diego, as in San Diego so your South American friend was wrong.

========================
Wizard.

I talked with my mother (more of a biblical scholar) and I also checked Wikipedia. She said there is a historical discrepancy about the exact idenity of the three Marys.
The "three Marys" does traditionally refer to (1) Mother Mary of Jesus (2) Her sister who is also Mary, and (3) Mary Magdalena. But in trying to reconcile the different gospels in the bible, they often identify three Marys who went to the tomb of Jesus to discover that it was empty. Hence the traditional identification of Salome with Mary. You can find paintings all through history called the thee Marys at the tomb.

In this case, the Virgin Mary was at the crucifixion of her son, but she did not go to the tomb to discover it empty.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 4:33:02 PM permalink
Paco, gracias a tu y su madre para su ayadar. Pero creí que Salome era la hermana de Jesus.

Tambien, en el biblia Español, es James (in English, as in the book of "James") se llama Santiago?
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 30th, 2011 at 5:33:29 PM permalink

Paco, gracias a tu y su madre para su ayadar. Pero creí que Salome era la hermana de Jesus.
Tambien, en el biblia Español, es James (in English, as in the book of "James") se llama Santiago?

The Epistle of James is often credited to the brother of Jesus Christ.
Quote: Wikipedia

The writer calls himself simply “James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Jas 1:1) Jesus had two apostles named James (Mt 10:2, 3), but it is unlikely that either of these wrote the letter. One apostle, James the son of Zebedee, was martyred about 44 CE. This would be very early for him to have been the writer. (Ac 12:1, 2) The other apostle James, the son of Alphaeus, is not prominent in the Scriptural record, and very little is known about him. The outspoken nature of the letter of James would seem to weigh against the writer’s being James the son of Alphaeus, for he would likely have identified himself as one of the 12 apostles, in order to back up his strong words with apostolic authority.
Rather, evidence points to James the brother of Jesus Christ, to whom the resurrected Christ evidently had made a special appearance, and who was prominent among the disciples. (Mt 13:55; Ac 21:15-25; 1Co 15:7; Ga 1:19, 2:9) The writer of the letter of James identifies himself as “a slave of God and of the Lord"

Santiago is a shortened version of "Saint Iago" which refers to James, son of Zebedee , (the greater) an apostle. Saint James is the Patron Saint of Spain and according to legend, his remains are held in Santiago de Compostela in Galicia (Spain). Santiago became one of the Spanish names for James.

So technically, I don't suppose you could apply it to the brother of Jesus since he was not James the Greater. Of course Spanish did not exist at this time.

The English name "James" comes from Italian "Giacomo", a variant of "Giacobo" derived from Iacobus (Jacob) in Latin, itself from the Greek Ἰάκωβος.
In French, Jacob is translated "Jacques".
In eastern Spain, Jacobus became "Jacome" or "Jaime"; in Catalunya, it became Jaume,
in western Iberia it became "Iago", from Hebrew Ya'akov,
- which when prefixed with "Sant" became "Santiago" in Portugal and Galicia;
"Tiago" is also spelled "Diego", which is also the Spanish name of Saint Didacus of Alcalá.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 6:24:31 PM permalink
Gracias.

So, the three Marys at the crucifixion were the Virgin Mary, Aunt Mary, and Mary Magdalena. The three Marys at the tomb were Mary (wife of Claofas), Mary Magdalena, and Mary Salome.

I still am trying to figure out who Mary Salome is. I speculated earlier that she was Jesus' sister, but I think I was thinking of Simone.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 30th, 2011 at 8:53:34 PM permalink

Gracias.

So, the three Marys at the crucifixion were the Virgin Mary, Aunt Mary, and Mary Magdalena. The three Marys at the tomb were Mary (wife of Claofas), Mary Magdalena, and Mary Salome.

I still am trying to figure out who Mary Salome is. I speculated earlier that she was Jesus' sister, but I think I was thinking of Simone.

The canonical gospels are inconsistent, as is tradition. I know even less about the non-canonical, and apocryphal gospels.
"Mary Salome" may or may not be a second aunt of Jesus, That would makeall three sisters having the same first name. But that last comment is "extra-biblical". Salome is the mother of James "the greater", while Mary Cleopas is the mother of James, "the lesser".

There are 6 Marys in the New Testament (canonical)
(1) Mary, mother of Jesus (Virgin Mary)
(2) Mary Magdalene
(3) Mary Bethany - saint of contemplative life
(4) Mary, "the other Mary". Most likely Jesus's Aunt. Married to Cleophas. Her children are James, "the lesser" who is an apostle but is not the "the greater" James that we discussed earlier.
(5) Mary, the mother of John Mark, sister to Barabas
(6) Mary, a helper to Paul in Rome
(7) Salome is the mother of the sons of Zebedee" and is the mother of James (the greater) and John.

At the Cross for the crucifixion
Matthew: (2), (4) and (7)
Mark: (2), (4) and (7)
Luke: " a great company of people and women"
John: (1), (2), (4), and { (3) & (7). not clear }

At the Sepulcher(tomb)
Matthew: (2) and (4)
Mark: (2) and (4)
Luke: "the women who followed after"

At the Sepulcher(tomb) on Resurrection Morning
Matthew: (2), (4)
Mark: (2), (4), and (7)
Luke: (2), (4) and "Joanna"
John: (2)

If you review the summary above, there was no story about "three Marys" at the tomb in any of the four gospels. But the earliest known representation of the three Marys was discovered in a chapel in the ancient city of Dura Europos on the Euphrates, painted before the city's destruction in 256 CE.
There are many artworks and icons depicting "three Mary's at the tomb" discovering the body missing.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
October 30th, 2011 at 9:34:30 PM permalink
Soy muy atrasado.
Amo Taco Bell.

For my two cents I am certain that the Three Marys refer to the group of women at the cross of Jesus. Only Luke has three women at the tomb and John makes it clear that it is just Mary Magdalen at the tomb. One thing to keep in mind is that John's Gospel often is the one that carries the most weight when it comes to traditions because it often stands apart from the other three Gospels, called synoptics (because Matt, Mark, and Luke see things the same most often). John is also special because it is the latest Gospel and has the most developed theology. Anyway back to the point.

For convience sake lets give a letter to each of the Mary's we will encounter at the cross.
Mary, Mother of God = A
Mary Magdalen (or of Magdala) = B
Mary, Wife of Clopas and mother of James = C
Mary, Solome or mother of Zebedee = D

It is important to note that Mary of Clopas is the mother of James. In Mt. 10:13 we read that James is the son of Alpheus. Alpheus can be rendered as Clopas in Aramaic and Greek. This makes Mary of Clopas the same as Mary the mother of James. This also gives us two Marys that are present in all the Gospels that name the women at the foot of the cross. (N.B. Luke does not name any women at the foot of the cross.) The problem then becomes that Matt. and Mark name Mary Salome who is also known as the mother of the sons of Zebedee (James, a different one, and John). John names THE MARY, Jesus' mother. In many people's minds it was considered as taken for granted that THE MARY was there at the cross and therefore not mentioned in the synoptics. The tradition of the Three Mary's however I think takes the account from John, which is the only Gospel read every year on Good Friday and most familar to the people. It uses these three Marys - MARY (A), Mary of Magdala (B), and Mary of Clopas (Alpheus) aka the mother of James (C).

Matt 27:56 has B, C, D; Mark 15:40 has B, C, D; and John 19:25 has A, B, C.

So it turns out as simply as A,B,C. Aye carumba!
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 31st, 2011 at 4:44:45 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

For my two cents I am certain that the Three Marys refer to the group of women at the cross of Jesus.
Only Luke has three women at the tomb and John makes it clear that it is just Mary Magdalen at the tomb.

Parecería que la tradición de los "Tres Marías" se confunde con la tradición de tres mujeres en el sepulcro (ver ilustraciones).

Quote: Luke 24:1-12

[1] On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
[2] They found the stone rolled away from the tomb,
[3] but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.
[4] While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them.
[5] In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead?
[6] He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee:
[7] 'The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' "
[8] Then they remembered his words.
[9] When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others.
[10] It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles.
[11] But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense.
[12] Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 31st, 2011 at 7:51:25 AM permalink
Wow. Thanks for all your hard work Paco and Father. It pains me to mention that you forgot the minimum single word of Spanish, Paco. The penance for that is three frases en Español.

Father, it is supposed to be Yo Quiero Taco Bell, but it seems to me that amar is putting your love even deeper than querer. To make a comparison to your homily two weeks ago, I would compare querer to philos, and amar to agape, but I'm sure the more experienced Spanish speakers will have a thing or two to say about that.

So, this all seems to boil down to this verse, as FrG summarized:

Quote: John 19:25

Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

The other three Marys are just confusing the issue. It makes me wonder what ratio of women at that time and place were named Mary. Or did Jesus just have an affinity for the name?

Speaking of the name Mary, the baby name calculator, which I spawned at SSA.gov, lists Mary as only #109 for 2010. Compare that to #47 in 2000, #26 in 1980, #9 in 1970, and #1 as late as 1961. That is quite the decline. I speculate it has something to do with society's changing attitudes about women, formerly valuing conformity, and now valuing individuality. In my prediction, it will come back in vogue in a generation.

After all the trouble I kicked up about the Three Marys, I think we can take a day off from a new SWD today, and enjoy the dia de las brujas.
Nareed
Nareed
October 31st, 2011 at 8:30:09 AM permalink

After all the trouble I kicked up about the Three Marys, I think we can take a day off from a new SWD today, and enjoy the dia de las brujas.

Here we call it "Halloween" :)

But I think we've discussed it before. In any case, "día de las brujas" is a commonly used translation.

And in case the above sentence didn't count, and in keeping with the rules and all, when taking grammar in school a sentence was called "oración." The word also means "prayer." But then "sentence" means other things in English, too.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 31st, 2011 at 8:44:21 AM permalink

But I think we've discussed it before. In any case, "día de las brujas" is a commonly used translation.

Yes, the kids' book I just finished reading (a Spanish translation of an English book) called it "día de las brujas." On Telemundo or Univision, I don't remember which, they also referred to it as "día de las brujas." I'll have to ask Lupe, my housekeeper, for a third opinion. I tend to think she'll prefer "Halloween," as she seems to speak Spanglish. My tutor always cringes when I quote anything that Lupe says.
Nareed
Nareed
October 31st, 2011 at 9:18:28 AM permalink

Yes, the kids' book I just finished reading (a Spanish translation of an English book) called it "día de las brujas."

I learned it was supposed to be called that from a dubbed Charlie Brown cartoon :)

BTW for tomorrow, if you don't mind disrupting your license plate series, you may want to use the word "calavera." Look it up in connection with the día de los muertos.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 31st, 2011 at 9:33:36 AM permalink

I'll have to ask Lupe, my housekeeper, for a third opinion. I tend to think she'll prefer "Halloween," as she seems to speak Spanglish. My tutor always cringes when I quote anything that Lupe says.

El spanglish es lingüísticamente impreciso. El término Spanglish no está incluido en el Diccionario de la lengua española de la Real Academia Española.

Y sin embargo, hay escritores que sólo escriben en puro spanglish, como las puertorriqueñas Ana Lydia Vega.

La novela Yo-Yo Boing! por Giannina Braschi tiene muchos ejemplos del spanglish. Yo-Yo Boing y Jughead estan el mismo.

Inglés:to park a car
Español: estacionar un coche
Espanglish: parquear el carro
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 31st, 2011 at 9:36:09 AM permalink

I learned it was supposed to be called that from a dubbed Charlie Brown cartoon :)

BTW for tomorrow, if you don't mind disrupting your license plate series, you may want to use the word "calavera." Look it up in connection with the día de los muertos.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Telemundo web site has a video on the main page where it it addressed three ways, the two already discussed, plus día de los muertos. This is not the first time I've seen American Spanish television mention different terms for the same thing.

I love all the classic Peanuts shows, especially Christmas and Halloween. I've always thought Linus' belief in the Great Pumpkin was a brilliant analogy to religion in general.
Nareed
Nareed
October 31st, 2011 at 10:03:34 AM permalink

I love all the classic Peanuts shows, especially Christmas and Halloween. I've always thought Linus' belief in the Great Pumpkin was a brilliant analogy to religion in general.

Did you see the Simpson's spoof? Milhouse plays Linus, Bart is Charlie and Lisa is Sally. Anyway, La Gran Calabaza comes to life and is very upset to find humans eat pumpkins :) When he comes upon a plate of roasted pumpkin seeds, he exclaims in horror "You eat the unborn!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 9:34:38 AM permalink
Fecha: 1 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: Nayarit
Palabra: ceboruco

Nareed suggested I make calavera (skull) the word of the day today, pero no entiendo por que. I can't find anything to do with skull with today's state, Nayarit. I can say say that Nayarit is a state I have been to when I spent a day in Puerto Vallarta on a cruise. For gringos who need anything otherwise hard to find in Mexico, there is a huge Walmart by the cruise ship docks.

Today's word of the day shall be ceboruco, which is a volcano in Nayarit, and means a "rough rocky place." Given all the mountain climbing I like to do around Vegas, this word will come in handly incase I should be so fortunate as to meet a nice muchacha on the montaña.

Ejemplo time.

Los pasajeros de la Minnow no podrían quedado no había el barco estrellado al ceboruco. = The passengers of the Minnow would not have been stranded had the boat not crashed in the rocky place.

Hopefully I will get at least one word right.

In other Spanish news, hoy es Martes, which means I get to torture my housekeeper Lupe with my Español horrible.

First, I asked her how to say Halloween in Spanish. She said "día de los muertos." My follow-up question was why do they sometimes call it "día de las brujas." She said that in Mexico they call November 1 and 2 (correct me if I'm wrong) "día de los muertos," but since Halloween is so similar in theme, they extend it to October 31 for trick-or-treating purposes in the U.S.. So then I asked who do some call it "día de las brujas." She speculated that Spanish-speaking children born in the U.S. probably call it that, but those born in Mexico, as Lupe was, tend to cling harder to old traditions from back home.

Second, I asked how to say "trick or treat" in Spanish. She said most would just say "trick or treat" in English. However, in Mexico, on día de los muertos sometimes children would say "dame una calavera." = "Give me a skull." At first, I thought she meant calabaza = pumpkin. I now see that spanishdict.com also says that calavera can mean "sugar skull (dulce)." Entonces, that must be why Nareed brought up the word. A Halloween reference, as opposed to anticipating discussion about Nayarit.

Okay, I've run out of things to say ... a long time ago.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 1st, 2011 at 10:30:06 AM permalink

I can't find anything to do with skull with today's state, Nayarit.
I can say say that Nayarit is a state I have been to when I spent a day in Puerto Vallarta on a cruise.

¿Ha visitado Nuevo Vallarta en la nave? La frontera entre Nayarit y Jalisco se encuentra muy cerca del aeropuerto. Puerto Vallarta se encuentra en Jalisco y Nuevo Vallarta en Nayarit.

Yo estaba atrapado en una tormenta terrible, justo al norte de Nayarit durante 24 horas. La distancia de Mazatlán a Tepic es sólo 167 millas y me llevó tres días terribles que ir tan lejos.
Doc
Doc
November 1st, 2011 at 10:38:47 AM permalink

... I spent a day in Puerto Vallarta on a cruise. For gringos who need anything otherwise hard to find in Mexico, there is a huge Walmart by the cruise ship docks.

What is the Spanish for "Deja vu"? I spent one day in 2007 as a cruise ship stop in Puerto Vallarta. I sent a typically-sarcastic email message to some of my friends:
Quote: My email

Today, our ship arrived in the beautiful village of Puerto Vallarta and
docked across from a lovely WalMart Super Center, emblazoned in red script
letters with the traditional "Siempre". How wonderful it is to see all of
the local color!

I took a couple of cell phone photos that day, but I have been scratching my calavera trying to find one of the WalMart. Must not have bothered.

Edit: With regard to Mr. Martin's comments, on my cruise I just took Holland America's word for what town we were in, and I rarely if ever looked to see what state we were in (other than "confusion").
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 11:05:08 AM permalink

What is the Spanish for "Deja vu"?

What is English for deja vu? :P

Quote: My email

Today, our ship arrived in the beautiful village of Puerto Vallarta and
docked across from a lovely WalMart Super Center, emblazoned in red script
letters with the traditional "Siempre". How wonderful it is to see all of
the local color!

Actually, belive it or not, it is local.

Once upon a time there were a bunch of supermarkets called "Aurrera," belonging to grupo Aurrera. It later got renamed Grupo Cifra. Around that time it started a joint venture with Walmart. At first to set up Sam's Club warehosue stores, which at first were called "Club Aurrera." Later they set up a Walmart where Aurrera owned a really big store called Gran Bazar (at the time I lived about a mile from there). It was the first Walmart in Mexico, and eventually the first Walmart Supercenter in the world, as the story's told here. the model was exported to the US.

A little later, Walmart acquired Cifra. They turned all the Aurrera brand stores to Walmart, but left the small, upscale(ish) stores witht eh name "Superama" and the big, diccount, but not in bulk, stores with the name "Bodega Aurrera." The controlling company is called "Nueva Walmart de Mexico, S de RL de CV" (the letters mean Sociedad de Responsabilidad Limitada de Credito Vigente; roughly Limited Liability Assosiacion of Current Credit).

A few years back, it celebrated a 50th or 60th anniversary in mexico, meaning the Walmart people see themselves as continuing what Aurrera started.

If that's not enought, the local Walmart stores each have a tortilleria for making hot tortillas, and a bakery with things like conchas, orejas, banderillas, espejos, rebanadas de mantequilla, polvorones and other Mexican pastries and cookies.

The conglomerate also includes the Suburbia department stores (mostly clothes), the VIPS restaurants, The El Porton quasi-Mexican restaurants, and assorted small ventures like a mid-priced Italian restaurant (which is actually pretty good)
Doc
Doc
November 1st, 2011 at 11:15:11 AM permalink

¿Qué tan similar es a un Walmart en los Estados Unidos? ¿Son todos los productos importados de otros países?
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 11:43:18 AM permalink

¿Qué tan similar es a un Walmart en los Estados Unidos? ¿Son todos los productos importados de otros países?

You know, I've never been to a Walmart in the States. I went to a Sam's Club back in the 90s, before we had any here, but that's it.

I've been to other stores, like Publix and others I don't recall the names of, but not Walmart. based on that, the products must be very different. I'd say 80% of all Walmart sells in their food section is local. Things like La Costeña sauces (Mexican and Italian), Herdez canned vegetables, Clemente Jacques Catsup, Barcel and Sabritas fried snacks (like chips, fritos, etc), luncheon meats from Fud, Zwan, Bafar, Capistrano and so on. Even some transnational brands, like Kellogg's Nabisco, Nestle, etc, have products meant for this market.

There are imports, sure, but you're as likely to see US products as Japanese and European ones. I wouldn't mind some more dairy imports, like non-fat yogurt that isn't plain, strawberry or prune, for example.

Oh, for a Spanish word I'll use, hmm, let me see.... ah! "¡que lata!" there!
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 12:03:05 PM permalink

Today's word of the day shall be ceboruco, which is a volcano in Nayarit, and means a "rough rocky place."

I never heard it before.

Quote:

Los pasajeros de la Minnow no podrían quedado no había el barco estrellado al ceboruco. = The passengers of the Minnow would not have been stranded had the boat not crashed in the rocky place.

First, you said "The passengers of the Minnow woulnd't have been able to remain not had the boat crashed on the rocky place."

Next: "Los pasajeros deL Minnow no se habrían quedado varados si el barco no se hubiera estrellado CON el ceboruco."

I'll let you go on the boat's gender, as I know in the US, and other countries in the Anglosphere, all sea vessels are considered to be female (I think all space vessels, too). In Mexico either there's no consensus or it depends on the kind of vessel. "Barco" meaning a ship, is masculine; "lancha" meaning a small boat like a row boat or an outboard or a speed boat, is feminine. So you board EL barco and LA lancha.

Quote:

Second, I asked how to say "trick or treat" in Spanish. She said most would just say "trick or treat" in English. However, in Mexico, on día de los muertos sometimes children would say "dame una calavera." = "Give me a skull."

The expression used is "¿me da mi calaverita?" I don't know what it reffers to. Many kids carry around a hollow, palstic pumpkin, but the expression predates their use.

A tradition for el día de los muertos is to amke skull-shaped candy, either sugar candy, chocolate or amaranto con miel. I was hoping you'd cause Paco to find out why :) I know all about halloween, I lived it. But having been raised Jewish, I know next to nothing about what the goyim do on their holidays.

Quote:

Entonces, that must be why Nareed brought up the word. A Halloween reference, as opposed to anticipating discussion about Nayarit.

Indeed. Maybe November 1 and 2 are more significant in some parts of the country than in others, but all I know about Nayarit is that it's on the Pacific Ocean coast.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 1st, 2011 at 12:12:14 PM permalink

There are two marinas in the bay. Marina Vallarta (1985-1993) is in the state of Jalisco, and Marina Nuevo Vallarta (late '90s) is in the state of Nayarit. The Marina's are only 4 miles apart and the airport is between them. The WALMART is next to the older marina of Puerto Vallarta.

The whole bay area was very lightly inhabited, and impossible to reach on some days by road. In 1954 Mexicana de Aviación airline inaugurated its flight Guadalajara - Puerto Vallarta to try and build a competitor to Acapulco. The flight from Los Angeles began in 1962. The movie crew with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton came in to shoot the Night of the Iguana, and released the movie in August 1964. I don't believe there was even a modern hotel at the time, and the crew spent a lot of time in the jungle.

When the couple bought a house there, recognition skyrocketed.

The shoreline belonging to the state of Nayarit remained undeveloped until the late 1990's

Jerónimo Arango (84 años) es uno de los seis hombres más ricos de México.
Él modeló su primera tienda en 1958 después de una tienda en Estados Unidos.
En 1991 se asoció con Wal-Mart imperio, y se vendieron en 1997.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 6:46:29 PM permalink

First, you said "The passengers of the Minnow woulnd't have been able to remain not had the boat crashed on the rocky place."

Next: "Los pasajeros deL Minnow no se habrían quedado varados si el barco no se hubiera estrellado CON el ceboruco."

This introduces a couple of words:

varados = stranded
estrellado = starry or smashed. Any connection? Maybe because when you smash your head you see estrellas.

I'll let you go on the boat's gender, as I know in the US, and other countries in the Anglosphere, all sea vessels are considered to be female (I think all space vessels, too). In Mexico either there's no consensus or it depends on the kind of vessel. "Barco" meaning a ship, is masculine; "lancha" meaning a small boat like a row boat or an outboard or a speed boat, is feminine. So you board EL barco and LA lancha.

I'll add lancha to my collection of words for a small boat in Spanish. I think that makes bote, barca, batel, chalupa, y lancha. My tutor was particular to a specific one, but I can't remember which. There is also a kind of taco at Taco Bell called a chalupa. The shell has a flat bottom, so you can stuff more into it.

Quote:

The expression used is "¿me da mi calaverita?"

I would say that the calaverita isn't the kid's until the adult hands it over. So, why is it "mi" and not "una"? Then again, the MTV slogan used to be "I want my MTV." I guess the "my" in both cases, implies a sense of entitlement. Sin embargo, isn't "me da" equivalent to dame"?

Quote:

A tradition for el día de los muertos is to amke skull-shaped candy, either sugar candy, chocolate or amaranto con miel. I was hoping you'd cause Paco to find out why :)

Okay, Paco, the gauntlet has been thrown, why do they pass out skull-shaped candy on Dia de los Muertos? On Telemundo today they were talking about some kind of special pan for the occasion, but nothing about candy.

Quote:

...but all I know about Nayarit is that it's on the Pacific Ocean coast.

Hmm. It would seem, based on that and the whole theme of late, that Mexican geography is not your strong suit?
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 1st, 2011 at 8:23:45 PM permalink

Quote:

A tradition for el día de los muertos is to amke skull-shaped candy, either sugar candy, chocolate or amaranto con miel. I was hoping you'd cause Paco to find out why :)

Okay, Paco, the gauntlet has been thrown, why do they pass out skull-shaped candy on Dia de los Muertos? On Telemundo today they were talking about some kind of special pan for the occasion, but nothing about candy.

Hmm. It would seem, based on that and the whole theme of late, that Mexican geography is not your strong suit?

Dia de Los Muertos is huge in Oaxaca, and in the Southern states in general. The cemetery is packed with people all night long, strolling around and looking at the incredibly elaborate displays. The sugar art was merely an economical way of creating the Catholic sculptures that the indigenous people couldn't afford on their own. The special bread is everywhere as well.

A core 30% of the population of Mexico lives in the following states (which together add up to a region the size of Iowa). That is about 34 million people.
Federal District, México, Puebla, Queretaro, Tlaxcala and Morelos.

I can honestly say I have only ever met one Mexican who has traveled everywhere in the country, and she took a job as an airline attendant so that she could do that. Most people do not do an extensive amount of travel. I met a 23 year old med student in Oaxaca who had never been to the state capital of Puebla, only about 4 hours away by bus. While that would not be unusual for an indigenous man who makes a few dollars a day, I was shocked that an educated young man would never make a trip that would not even require an overnight stay.

Quote: Pan de Muertos

ingredientes

5 - 6 tazas de harina
1 / 2 taza de azúcar
2 paquetes de levadura seca
1 cucharadita de sal
1 cucharada de semillas de anís
1 / 2 taza de leche
1 / 2 taza de agua
1 / 2 taza de mantequilla
4 huevos

instrucciones

En un tazón grande, combine 1-1/2 tazas de harina, levadura, sal, semillas de anís y azúcar. Mezclar bien.
En una sartén pequeña, calentar la leche, el agua y la mantequilla casi a punto de ebullición.
Remueva el líquido caliente en la mezcla seca hasta que esté bien mezclado.
Mezclar los huevos y añadir la harina restante poco a poco como sea necesario hasta obtener una masa suave y no pegajosa
Amasar la masa sobre una tabla enharinada unos diez minutos.
Coloque la masa en un tazón ligeramente engrasado en un ambiente cálido.
Cúbralo para evitar que se sequen.
Cerca del nivel del mar, la masa debe aumentar alrededor de 1-1/2 hora hasta que haya doblado su tamaño.
Retire la masa del tazón y la prensa en una forma circular, de añadir más formas moldeadas o esculpidas de los huesos, o un cráneo, en la parte superior.
Deje que el pan crezca esculpidas durante una hora adicional.
Precaliente el horno a 350 ° F. Hornee por 40 minutos, hasta que estén doradas.
Después de la cocción, espolvorear ligeramente con azúcar en polvo cubierto con azúcar de colores
(que puede ser rociado en hacer un diseño).
También puede agregar un esmalte (ver abajo), que le ayudará a mantener el azúcar en su lugar.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 1st, 2011 at 8:43:13 PM permalink
Did I miss an explanacion of dia de los muertes? I've always related since el segundo de Noviembre es mi cumplianos, but I've never bothered to find out what it really was. Election Day just sounded so dull, so I ran with Day of the Dead instead ;) Is it basically just another Halloween?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 8:47:20 PM permalink

I met a 23 year old med student in Oaxaca who had never been to the state capital of Puebla, only about 4 hours away by bus. While that would not be unusual for an indigenous man who makes a few dollars a day, I was shocked that an educated young man would never make a trip that would not even require an overnight stay.

I must confeso that I have never done more than pass through Sacramento and Carson City, states where I have spent 78% of my life.

Quote: Face

Did I miss an explanacion of dia de los muertes? I've always related since el segundo de Noviembre es mi cumplianos, but I've never bothered to find out what it really was. Election Day just sounded so dull, so I ran with Day of the Dead instead ;) Is it basically just another Halloween?

My housekeeper spoke about that for a while today. Much like in China, there seems to be more of a sense of connection to the dead in Mexico than in this country. From time to time you're supposed to put food and beverages that the deceased liked at his memorial, but is practically mandatory to do it on las días de los muertos. My housekeeper seemed really regret that she couldn't place anything on the memorial for her mother back in Mexico, to the point that she was half way to tears.

I'm more familiar with the customs in China. There they believe, according to my understanding, that the souls of the dead can move between earth and "hell." They generally stir up trouble if they are wandering around earth, so the living prefer to keep them in "hell," which is how they translate the Chinese term for the afterlife. It helps to keep them there to burn a special kind of money in their honor. If you do, they get to spend it in hell, keeping them happy there for a while. You can usually find this, what I would call "play money," in stores that sell Chinese stuff.
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 9:05:32 PM permalink

estrellado = starry or smashed. Any connection? Maybe because when you smash your head you see estrellas.

Crashed or smashed. It may be used for starry, too, but I've never heard it that way. BTW Fried eggs are called huevos estrellados.

Quote:

I'll add lancha to my collection of words for a small boat in Spanish. I think that makes bote, barca, batel, chalupa, y lancha. My tutor was particular to a specific one, but I can't remember which.

Balsa? That means raft. And as far as I know it has no connection with balsa wood.

Quote:

I would say that the calaverita isn't the kid's until the adult hands it over. So, why is it "mi" and not "una"? Then again, the MTV slogan used to be "I want my MTV." I guess the "my" in both cases, implies a sense of entitlement. Sin embargo, isn't "me da" equivalent to dame"?

Absolutely right. I can totally picture you arguing the point with a street kid, too :)

I don't know what to tell you, though, that's how kids ask for candy. At Christmas it's "¿Me da mi Navidad?" Since usually this comes from street kids, and they do phrase it as a question, I see it as a request.

Quote:

I don't get it. I even checked. Nayarit is on the coast, on the side of the Pacific Ocean.
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 9:11:55 PM permalink

Did I miss an explanacion of dia de los muertes? I've always related since el segundo de Noviembre es mi cumplianos

Explicación
Día de los Muertos
Cumpleaños

I don't quite know what it is. I know the locals visit cemeteries and bring along a very specific flower, food and music players or even hire bands. I don't really want to know.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 9:28:23 PM permalink

I don't get it. I even checked. Nayarit is on the coast, on the side of the Pacific Ocean.

Lo siento, I didn't mean to imply you were in error. Never mind.
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 9:31:09 PM permalink

I met a 23 year old med student in Oaxaca who had never been to the state capital of Puebla, only about 4 hours away by bus.

Why would he want to go there?

As for the "bread" it is called "pan" but it's more like dry cake without frosting. I don't know much about it. It's good, but it's covered with granulated sugar on top and I dislike that.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 1st, 2011 at 11:07:57 PM permalink

I think a day to respect to your ancestors that is touched with just a little fear of them coming back is fairly basic to most cultures. Concern with geneology is in some of the oldest texts written by man. They have days in Japan, China, Korea, India, and pre-conquest Mexico. Like all things Mexican, the Catholic church simply adapted them to the new faith. The Day of the Dead became All Saint's Day, but retained most of the traditions.

Certainly, the one thing you can say about the birth of Jesus is it didn't happen in December. It's cold in Bethlehem, and shepherds would not be watching over their sheep at night. Most ministers say "This is the Day we choose to celebrate the birth of Jesus" since it is pretty clearly an adaptation of the Winter solstice.

All of the other traditions, like yule logs, Christmas trees, Christmas wreaths, etc. were all adaptations from pagan religion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 2nd, 2011 at 5:53:57 AM permalink
Fecha: 2 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: Nuevo_León
Palabra: Arroyo

Nuevo Leon is an arid state bordering Texas. Supongo que se llamada de la ciudad León in España. For the word of the day I had to look at the map and found a city called Arroyo, which means steam stream. So, now I now what Arroyo Grande means, a city in central California.

I originally omitted the r in stream, and thought arroyo meant steam, before Nareed's correction below. So, that is why the ejemplo refers to steam and not a stream. Lo siento.

Ejemplo time.

El Professor debe haciendo un experimento ciencia, porque hay arroyo saliendo de la laguna. = The Professor must be doing a science experiment, because there is steam coming out of the lagoon.
  • Jump to: