Curious55
  • Threads: 2
September 27th, 2011 at 3:41:44 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

para la artículo.

el articulo, no ?

No sé. Porque?

Esta pregunta es una adivinanza que no funciona por escrito.
Normalmente la gente responde que la bola rueda porque la bola es redonda.
Y contesto que no, que lavo la rueda porque esta sucia. :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 27th, 2011 at 4:19:45 AM permalink
Quote: Curious55

el articulo, no ?

Lo siento!
Artículo es un palabra masculino.
Una de las partes en que suelen dividirse los escritos.
Curious55
Curious55
September 27th, 2011 at 4:32:40 AM permalink

es un palabra masculino.

una palabra masculina
No problem ! :))
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2011 at 5:17:21 AM permalink

una palabra masculina No problem ! :))

Gender is a pervasive problem. My grandfather was a native Spanish speaker, and he lived with us or within 1.5 miles as I was growing up. Unfortunately I didn't spend significant time with the language as a child.

Research indicates that it is a significant part of the way people think. For instance bridge in German is the feminine "die Brücke" while in Spanish it is masculine "el puente". If you ask a German-speakers to describe a bridge he will use traditionally feminine adjectives, while a Spanish speaker will immediately go to masculine adjectives (sturdy, towering, big, etc.).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 27th, 2011 at 7:00:17 AM permalink
Fecha: 27 de Sep. 2011
Palabra: fruto seco

Today's word, in this case two words, fruto seco = nut. Individually, fruto = fruit, and seco=dry. Say what? Botanically speaking, a nut is different from fruit in other ways than being dry. For example, a nut has a shell, and the nut itself is a seed. Botany is not my strong point, but my brother is a botanist, should we need to consult one. Also, if they call a nut "dry fruit," then what do they call actual dried fruit, like the kind they put in fruitcake?

Other words that come up for nut in Spanish are: nuez, cacahuete, tuerca, and maní. I'm not sure if these are regional differences or specific kinds of nuts. So there is plenty for the experts to explain.

Ejemplo time.

Por favor, no pones los fruto secos en mi ensalada, porque soy los alérgico. = Please don't put nuts in my salad, because I am allergic to them.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
September 27th, 2011 at 7:13:46 AM permalink
tuerca= a nut for a bolt, according to my expert.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2011 at 8:08:51 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Also, if they call a nut "dry fruit," then what do they call actual dried fruit, like the kind they put in fruitcake?

Dried apricots, are known in Spanish as orejones or "big ears" because of their shape.

In Madrid be sure and get some:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 27th, 2011 at 3:28:21 PM permalink

Today's word, in this case two words, fruto seco = nut. Individually, fruto = fruit, and seco=dry.

Not entirely. there's no generic everyday word for "nut" in Spanish. There's a word, "nuez" which means a specific nut. For isnatnce, "nuez de la India" means cashew. In Mexico if you ask for nueces, you get pecans more often than not, though the variety is called "nuez de castilla." Other nuts each have their onw names, as you noted blow (except "tuerca" which is the metal part with a threaded inside that gets paired with screws or bolts).

"Fruto seco" does mean nuts, but it0s not a common every day word. it's a botanical or biological term.

Quote:

Also, if they call a nut "dry fruit," then what do they call actual dried fruit, like the kind they put in fruitcake?

Inedible.

Seriously, it's called "fruta seca." I don't know why. I mean, i know why, it's furit that's been dried up, but I don't know why the distinction between that term and "fruto seco." In some places they'll call it "fruta deshidratada" which means "dehydrated fruit."

Actually I like dried apples, but not any other kind of dried fruit. Oh, I can eat dreid pineapple with powdered chili, but that's it.

Quote:

Other words that come up for nut in Spanish are: nuez, cacahuete, tuerca, and maní. I'm not sure if these are regional differences or specific kinds of nuts. So there is plenty for the experts to explain.

See above.

Cacahuate and mani both mean peanuts. Aside from that all I can think to add is "almendra" for almond. I know the names of a few more, but not what they're called in English. Oh, and nutmeg is called "nuez moscada." BTW I've never found that if that's a nut or it's just named that way. I've only seen it powdered in a jar.

Quote:

Por favor, no pones los fruto secos en mi ensalada, porque soy los alérgico. = Please don't put nuts in my salad, because I am allergic to them.

Please tell me you let the google language masher do your homework.

"Por favor no LE PONGAS nueces a mi ensalada, porque soy alérgico."

Alternatively: "Por favor no PONGAS frutos secos en la ensalada, porque soy alérgico."

There's no concise way to say "allergic to them" that doesn't sound redundant the way Spanish is normally used. So it's better to drop it.

Now, although I said there's no generic word for nuts, "nueces" comes closest for use in a sentence. At a restaurant, though, especially if you are really allergic, you should specify "sin nueces, almendras, cacahutes, etc."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2011 at 4:34:38 PM permalink
Quote: wiz

Por favor, no pones los fruto secos en mi ensalada, porque soy los alérgico.

Quote: Nareed

Por favor no LE PONGAS nueces a mi ensalada, porque soy alérgico.

Grammar is not exactly my strong point. Pronouns give me all kinds of trouble.

The reason for the los was my way of saying "them." I can see how it would be obvious by context without it, but I was trying to be clear. I admit I blew it by putting it after soy. What would you say if I put porque los soy alérgico.

I see your alternative version leaves out the le. Can you just tell me why you put it in there in your version above?
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2011 at 5:41:35 PM permalink

The reason for the los was my way of saying "them." I can see how it would be obvious by context without it, but I was trying to be clear.

If you want to be specific then I think you would say "porque soy alérgico a ellos".

EDIT
Nareed says the second version is more appropriate. I would think that the second form translate more to "because I am allergic to those"
(1) porque soy alérgico a ellos
(2) porque soy alérgico a estas
Nareed
Nareed
September 27th, 2011 at 6:19:38 PM permalink

The reason for the los was my way of saying "them." I can see how it would be obvious by context without it, but I was trying to be clear. I admit I blew it by putting it after soy. What would you say if I put porque los soy alérgico.

I'd smile :)

Really, there's no need to say "I'm allergic to them" because the subject under discussion is clear. You could say "Soy alérgico a las nueces, por favor no le pongas a la ensalada." But you're in the same situation then.

If you must refer to "them," then you'd say "no le pongas nueces a la ensalada porque soy alérgico a estas." But I maintain that sounds redundant. In the work I do, sales to government, we use phrases like that all the time and it feels stupid. Worse, sometimes I catch my coworkers speaking like that <sigh>

Quote:

I see your alternative version leaves out the le. Can you just tell me why you put it in there in your version above?

Seriously I can't say. Both examples are correct, but I can't say what adding "le" in one does. Sorry.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2011 at 8:08:30 PM permalink

Seriously I can't say. Both examples are correct, but I can't say what adding "le" in one does. Sorry.

Thanks. How would you translate this, El gerente no le puede decir.
Nareed
Nareed
September 27th, 2011 at 8:56:22 PM permalink

Thanks. How would you translate this, El gerente no le puede decir.

The manager can't tell him.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2011 at 9:23:22 PM permalink

The manager can't tell him.

Why isn't it, "The manager can't say that."?
Nareed
Nareed
September 27th, 2011 at 9:25:34 PM permalink

Why isn't it, "The manager can't say that."?

Because that would be "El gerente no lo puede decir."
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2011 at 11:18:08 PM permalink

Because that would be "El gerente no lo puede decir."

Wizard
The reason it is difficult to understand is because there is no equivalent in English. In English, we use the same pronouns for both direct and indirect objects. In Spanish, both types of object pronouns are the same except in the third person. I am copying much of the following explanation .

Definitions
Direct-object pronouns are those pronouns that represent the nouns directly acted upon by the verb.
Indirect-object pronouns stand for the noun that is the recipient of the verb's action.

In both English and Spanish, a verb may have
(1) no object (e.g., "I live," vivo),
(2) a direct object only (e.g., "I killed the fly," maté la mosca), or
(3) both direct and indirect objects (e.g., "I gave her the ring," le di el anillo).
(4) The construction of an indirect object without a direct object isn't used in English, but it can be done in Spanish (e.g., le es difícil, "it is difficult for him.")

In the second example, the direct object of the verb is "the ring" (el anillo), because it is what was given.
The indirect object is "her," (or le) because the person is the recipient of the giving.

Another way of looking at indirect objects in Spanish is that they could be replaced by "a + prepositional pronoun" or sometimes "para + prepositional pronoun." In the example sentence, we could say di el anillo a ella and mean the same thing (just as we could say in English, "I gave the ring to her")

In Spanish, unlike English, a noun can't be an indirect object; it must be used as the object of a preposition. For example, we could say "I gave Sally the ring" in English, but in Spanish the preposition a is needed, le di el anillo a Sally.)

Similarly, note also that in Spanish that the indirect object pronoun must refer to a person or animal.

In English, we use the same pronouns for both direct and indirect objects. In Spanish, both types of object pronouns are the same except in the third person.

The third-person singular direct object pronouns are lo (masculine) and la (feminine), while in the plural, they are los and las. But the indirect object pronouns are le and les in singular and plural, respectively. No distinction is made according to gender.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 28th, 2011 at 6:53:59 AM permalink

The third-person singular direct object pronouns are lo (masculine) and la (feminine), while in the plural, they are los and las. But the indirect object pronouns are le and les in singular and plural, respectively. No distinction is made according to gender.

Thanks Paco, that helps. Who do I blame for making these rules so hard?

Fecha: 28 de Sep, 2011
Palabra: sostener

Today's word sostener = to support (as a verb). Pretty easy. The related noun is sostén = support, as a noun. It also means, appropriately, a bra.

Ejemplo time.

Sostengo tres hijos y un pero. = I support three kids and a dog.
Nareed
Nareed
September 28th, 2011 at 7:11:18 AM permalink

Fecha: 28 de Sep, 2011
Palabra: sostener

BTW, today's the unofficial but real anniversary of Mexico's independence, achieved on Sept. 28th, 1821.

Anyway:

Quote:

Today's word sostener = to support (as a verb). Pretty easy. The related noun is sostén = support, as a noun. It also means, appropriately, a bra.

And here's where the dictionary and common usage part ways. Technically "sostener" is synonimous with "sustentar," the latter does mean "to support" in the sense you mean in your example. In practice, though, the translation should be "to hold."

For example:

"Las vigas sostienen el techo" = "The beams hold up the roof"

"Sostén el cable mientras preparo el monitor" = "hold the cable while I prepare the monitor."

The verb for "to support" as you used is "mantener", thus:

Quote:

Sostengo tres hijos y un pero. = I support three kids and a dog.

Very good. But you should add a minor modification: "Mantengo A tres hijos y un perro."

The word "sostener" is used in other ways. For example, if a client asks to extends a contract but to keep the prices agreed upon withut changes, she'd ask "queremos sostener los precios actuales."

The noun "sostén" does mean bra. However a more common word in Mexico is "brasier," which doesn't show up in the dictionary. It's a misspelling of "brassiere," naturally. The plural would be "brasieres," keeping in mind all vowels are pronounced.

In short:

Sostener does mean to support, but it's not often used that way. Sostén does mean bra, but it's not often used that way.

Sorry.
Nareed
Nareed
September 28th, 2011 at 3:04:38 PM permalink

Nareed says the second version is more appropriate. I would think that the second form translate more to "because I am allergic to those"
(1) porque soy alérgico a ellos
(2) porque soy alérgico a estas

"Ellos/Ellas" means "them"
"Estos/Estas" means "these"
"Esos/Esas, "Aquellos/aquellas" means "those."

However, at least in Mexico "estos/estas" may also mean "them" depending on context.

BTW you've no idea how Spanish speakers struggle to use "this" and "these." Not to mention the incredible confussion between "good evening" and "good night."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 28th, 2011 at 3:53:21 PM permalink

Not to mention the incredible confussion between "good evening" and "good night."

That is something I've been meaning to bring up. In English we have good: morning,afternoon,evening,night.

In Spanish, as far as I know, we have buenos: días, tardes, noches.

So, can I assume that tardes = afternoon or evening? Any distinction when tarde becomes the noche? For me, I assume the evening becomes the night at sundown, maybe a little later in the winter. There is a certain range when either will do. When I was in Fairbanks AK on the longest day of the year two years ago I was never sure what to say, because it never got all the way dark.

Also, is there any reason why tardes means both afternoon/evening and late? Is it that stuff is supposed to get done in the morning, and if it takes until the afternoon or later then you're dealing with a lazy person who is late finishing?
Nareed
Nareed
September 28th, 2011 at 4:19:40 PM permalink

That is something I've been meaning to bring up. In English we have good: morning,afternoon,evening,night.

In Spanish, as far as I know, we have buenos: días, tardes, noches.

Días/mañana means morning
Tardes/tarde means afternoon
Noches/noche means night.

You see the lack of a word for evening. Now, I take evening to be almost interchangeable. that is, if I say "let's meet at 8 pm this evening," or "let's meet at 8 pm tonight," I'm pretty much saying the same thing.

In Spanish you say "buenas noches" as a greeting from sunset til dawn. It's also used to wish someone a good night when they're going to bed.

Lately I've ben catching myself greeting someone at 9 pm saying "Buenas tardes."

Anyway, tarde/tardes only emans fternoon, that's the period from noon to sunset.

Some people use the term tarde-noche for 1) ambiguous periods like 7-8 PM in summer, or 2) to denote a period spanning both afternoon and night, like an event that runs from 6 pm to 9 pm, for example.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 29th, 2011 at 1:04:16 AM permalink

Not to mention the incredible confussion between "good evening" and "good night."

On December 26, in Mexico City
Civil twilight is 23:55, nautical twilight is another 27:24 and astronomical twilight is 27:04 (times in minutes and seconds)

On December 26, in London
Civil twilight is 40:16, nautical twilight is another 43:10 and astronomical twilight is 40:47 (times in minutes and seconds)

In addition to the times being longer, nautical twilight would not be as important in Mexico. Plus the day (sunrise to sunset) is only 8 hours in London,while it is 11 hours in Mexico. That would make twilight much more important to get things done. I doubt that you even have the term "Harvest Moon" in Mexico.

Also, keep in mind that the English language has it's roots in Scandinavia and Germany where the days were even shorter. In Stockholm sunrise to sunset is only 6 hours on December 26, and each of the three twlight periods are almost one hour apiece. We went as far north as Gävle from Stockholm, and it's very spooky.

I am not surprised that æfnung would be a much more important concept in English than in Spanish and particularly in Mexican culture.

Definitions
Civil twilight: Under civil twilight circumstances, the horizon is clearly visible, and terrestrial objects are easily perceptible without artificial light.
Nautical twilight Nautical twilight ends when navigation via the horizon at sea is no longer possible. During nautical twilight, sailors can take reliable star sightings of well-known stars, using a visible horizon for reference.
Astronomical twilight From the end of astronomical twilight in the evening to the beginning of astronomical twilight in the morning, the sky (away from urban light pollution) is dark enough for all astronomical observations.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 29th, 2011 at 1:04:19 AM permalink
Stockholm at twilight
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 6:56:44 AM permalink

Definitions

Do I need to quote Penny again? :)

Here's the thing. In English the terms night and evening are almost interchangeable. You can chose to say either "this evening" or "tonight" and mean the same time period. That's not the problem for Spanish speakers.

The problem is Spanish doesn't have a word for evening. So the subtle distinction between "good evening" and "good night" is hard to grasp.

Let's say you address a room at night. You begin by saying "good evening" to the audience. In Spanish you begin by saying "buenas noches." When you're leaving work in the evening and are saying good bye to your coworkers, you may say "good night." In Spanish you'd say "buenas noches." See the point?
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 7:00:57 AM permalink
In lieu of saying "double post" I'll attempt today's word.

29 de Septiembre de 2011
Palabra del Día: Reloj

This deceptively simple noun means clock, but also watch. Ok, it is simple. The curiosity lies in the fact that Spanish uses the same word for fixed and wearable time pieces, while English has two separate words.

That's it. I don't suppose an example is needed.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2011 at 7:19:27 AM permalink

Palabra del Día: Reloj

This deceptively simple noun means clock, but also watch.

I call a watch a relojito. Usually this is met by a confused look, but I don't see why. It seems to me Spanish speakers add ito/a and isimo/a at the end of just about any noun.
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 7:38:36 AM permalink

I call a watch a relojito. Usually this is met by a confused look, but I don't see why.

It's not customary. While mexicans in particualr use diminutives way too much, and baby talk to boot, in some cases their use is seen as disparaging. This would be so if you referred to someone's very expensive watch as a "relojito."

For example, it's common to head off on a coffee break by saying "vamos por un cafecito," which literally means "let's go for a small coffee." A cart or dolly is commonly called "carrito," or, if it's sturdier or bigger, "diablito." But a car, meaning an automobile, is called "coche" or "carro." Affectionally you might reffer to your car as "mi carrito." But if you call someone else's car "su cochecito," he'd assume you don't think much of his car. Conversely it would be a appropriate to call "cochecito" a toy car of any kind used by a boy, even those electric ones they like to ride on.

Quote:

It seems to me Spanish speakers add ito/a and isimo/a at the end of just about any noun.

Not any noun, but in many. It's a common way to make a diminutive.

As I said, it's used too much by mexicans. I'm odd in that respect as I don't use them much. Suppose I want to say I have a craving for tacos al pastor with onions and cilantro. I would say "Se me antojan unos tacos al pastor con cebolla y cilantro." Most other people in this country wuld say "Se me antojan unos taquitos al pastor con cebollita y cilantro."

I've no idea why this is so. I don't use diminutives that much because it strikes me as a childish way of speaking. I guess peole here learn such ways growing up but get stuck with them. I use the term "cebollitas" only to reffer to the small onions with the long green stalks, but only because the propper name "cebollas de cambray" is too long. I like onions of all kinds. I eat them just about every day.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
September 29th, 2011 at 7:40:45 AM permalink

The curiosity lies in the fact that Spanish sues the same word for fixed and wearable time pieces, while English has two separate words.

In English, do you refer to the time display on your mobile phone or laptop computer as a "watch" or a "clock"? I personally call it a clock, but that doesn't mean I view it as a fixed item. I think there is more to the word choice than the distinction of fixed vs. wearable, since some time-keeping devices aren't really in either of those two categories, but I'm not sure that I could clearly define the difference.

I agree that things get a little confusing when one language uses the same word for concepts described by several different words in the other language. I suspect the difficulty is greater in moving from the single-word language to the multiple-word language. While English speakers may understand the different concepts of the Greek "philos", "eros", and "agape" (some of which I probably misspelled), we typically use one word to cover all three. We can usually accept the translation to that single English word (perhaps losing clarity), but it must be challenging to translate properly to the Greek, since the intent must be known more clearly in order to select the right word.
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 8:06:30 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

In English, do you refer to the time display on your mobile phone or laptop computer as a "watch" or a "clock"? I personally call it a clock, but that doesn't mean I view it as a fixed item. I think there is more to the word choice than the distinction of fixed vs. wearable, since some time-keeping devices aren't really in either of those two categories, but I'm not sure that I could clearly define the difference.

Sorry, old habits. When I learned English clocks were pretty much fixed in place.

So let's ammend that to say that watch is a time piece you wear, while a clock is one you don't wear, be it fixed or portable or embedded in another device (such as a car, computer or cell phone). In fact I stopped wearing a watch once I realized it was redundant. I mean, I can see the time in my PC, cell, car and TV. Why also wear a watch?

BTW there's another oddity. In english the word chronometer refers to a time piece, too. Usually this is used to refer to a ship's clock, because it was, and for all I know still is, a crucial tool in determining a ship's position. In Spanish the word "cronómetro" means stop-watch, a tool for measuring time intervals with precision.

Still more, the word "timer" in English means a device to activate and/or deactivate appliances or devices at set times. In Spanish the word used is... timer! (commonly spelled phonetically as "taimer").

Quote:

I agree that things get a little confusing when one language uses the same word for concepts described by several different words in the other language.

A little bit. Formally in Spanish a watch is called "reloj de pulsera," or "reloj de pulso." Pulso means pulse, which is the detectable motion of blood through an artery. this is commonly detected at the wrist, so it came to mean wrist in some contexts. Pulsera means bracelet, though the word brazalete is also used. I know in english you also use "wrist-watch" but not very often.

Oh, the word for wrist in Spanish is "muñeca," which for some reason also means "doll".

I'll stop here before I make Spanish seem as an impossible language to learn :P
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
September 29th, 2011 at 8:25:20 AM permalink

I know in english you also use "wrist-watch" but not very often.

I think that expression started going out of vogue and died a lingering death when hardly anyone was left carrying a pocket watch. I have known a few people who carried them, but not many. I now own a gold one that has long been in my family: it has an inscription inside the case noting that it was given by my great-grandparents to my grandfather on his 21st birthday in 1914. I keep it on display in a curio cabinet in my foyer and wind it every night, but I would never consider carrying it on a daily basis.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 29th, 2011 at 1:47:23 PM permalink

It seems to me Spanish speakers add ito/a and isimo/a at the end of just about any noun.

From everything I've read, among Spanish speakers it is much more common in Mexico than in other countries. American English in particular is very wary of diminutives, especially in names for adults. They are much more widely used in British English.

It's tempting to draw cultural distinctions, whereas the Americans are very concerned with status while the Mexican culture, even when it is violent, is obsessed with family and home life.

Sometimes in English we use phrases like "nice and easy". But a Mexican might describe a mattress as "blandito" when they mean "nice and soft", but calling it "blando" has the negative connotation of being "too soft". In a similar manner "flaca" might imply a bony almost angular woman, while "Flacita" is a nickname which is affectionate.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2011 at 2:02:51 PM permalink
It seems to me that Spanish has more of a softer and affectionate ways of putting things than English. For example, I seem to see the words besos and abrazos a lot (hugs and kisses). Now, I don't claim to know German very well, but I was on a kick to learn the language for about a year in 1999-2000. By comparison, that language seemed very orderly and efficient.
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 6:55:55 PM permalink

From everything I've read, among Spanish speakers it is much more common in Mexico than in other countries.

I made the same point. But there are exceptions.

Quote:

American English in particular is very wary of diminutives, especially in names for adults. They are much more widely used in British English.

I don't know. Every single person seems to have a diminutive ready for his or her name. How many people even know that Max is short for Maxim?

Quote:

Sometimes in English we use phrases like "nice and easy". But a Mexican might describe a mattress as "blandito" when they mean "nice and soft", but calling it "blando" has the negative connotation of being "too soft".

That's news to me :)

Quote:

In a similar manner "flaca" might imply a bony almost angular woman, while "Flacita" is a nickname which is affectionate.

Well, no. "Flaca" is a common nickname for a svelte woman, for that matter "flaco" is too for a man. On the other hand, a fat man or woman will be called "gordito" or "gordita" rather than "gordo" or "gorda." But on the gripping hand, "gordo" and "gorda" for some rason qualify as endearments between married couples or people who are dating. Don't ask me. I just live here.

Oh, and BTW, the letter C sounds like an S when used with the vowels E and I. The diminutive for "flaca" is "flaQUita"
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 6:58:47 PM permalink

It seems to me that Spanish has more of a softer and affectionate ways of putting things than English. For example, I seem to see the words besos and abrazos a lot (hugs and kisses).

It depends on what you're reading. It's true, though, that people on TV will send hugs and kisses to the audience, FWIW.

Quote:

Now, I don't claim to know German very well, but I was on a kick to learn the language for about a year in 1999-2000. By comparison, that language seemed very orderly and efficient.

Oh, the German jokes I could tell... I don't speak it, either, but I've heard plenty of German jokes.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 29th, 2011 at 7:33:55 PM permalink

I don't know. Every single person seems to have a diminutive ready for his or her name. How many people even know that Max is short for Maxim?

Looking at the Wizard's 100 most popular names for boys in the USA, I see only Jack, Alex, and Max. Those names are short versions, and none use a diminutive.

A similar list in the UK has Jack, Harry, and Charlie in the top 10, and then Alfie, Max, Jamie, Ben, Henry, Archie, Alex, Freddie, Sam, Joe, Billy, Corey, Jay, and Theo.

BTW, Nareed has an extremely detailed knowledge of American pop culture (especially SciFi). I had to google on the gripping hand since I didn't recognize it.
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2011 at 7:49:26 PM permalink

BTW, Nareed has an extremely detailed knowledge of American pop culture (especially SciFi). I had to google on the gripping hand since I didn't recognize it.

Thanks for the compliment, but it's just not so. I have knowledge of American culture, pop and otherwise, but it's been picked up more or less randomly and has some rather big gaps.

Take SF for instance. I know a lot about Asimov, parts of the Golden Age, much of Heinlein (but not all), virtually all of Niven, a little of Bradbury (whom I think is overrated) and that's about it. past the 70s I'm spotty except for Niven. I read what i like and nothing else. Oh, I know a lot about Trek, too.

I rather like the use of "on the gripping hand" when it's called for :)
Nareed
Nareed
September 30th, 2011 at 7:11:31 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I think that expression started going out of vogue and died a lingering death when hardly anyone was left carrying a pocket watch.

That sounds reasonable.

But it brings up a new question. Pocket watches were called watches. Why?

My thinking is there were clocks first which were too big to carry arouns. So they were fixed or largely immovable, like pieces of furniture in the home and office, or parts of buildings for larger, public versions. Why, then, when technology allwoed for making mobile versions, were these not called "pocket clocks"?

Quote:

I have known a few people who carried them, but not many.

They're not easy to carry. besides they belog to a different time. Back then men wore vests more often. A suit without a vest was unthinkable, partly because the vest had the pockets for a watch and its chain. These days if a man asks for a suit with a vest, he'll be greeted by puzzled looks; he might as well ask for a suit with wings or flippers.

Quote:

I now own a gold one that has long been in my family: it has an inscription inside the case noting that it was given by my great-grandparents to my grandfather on his 21st birthday in 1914. I keep it on display in a curio cabinet in my foyer and wind it every night, but I would never consider carrying it on a daily basis.

According to conventional wisdom, that was the time when the pocket watch era began to end. The common story goes that WWI soldiers began to attach watches to leather straps worn on the wrist, so they could tell time while leaving their hands free. It makes sense, as raids and other maneuvers are often coordinated by time. Therefore knowing the time is important to a soldier, at least to an officer.
Nareed
Nareed
September 30th, 2011 at 7:20:45 AM permalink

Looking at the Wizard's 100 most popular names for boys in the USA, I see only Jack, Alex, and Max. Those names are short versions, and none use a diminutive.

Oh, well, for full names that may be so. Still, many people use a diminutive form of their name more often than their full one. Not all, of course, but I'd say the majority do. And this goes back a while. You're more likely to know people as Phil, Harry, Jack, Mike, Bill and Jake than as Philip, Harold, John, Michael and Jacob.

For that matter, may I poit out "Paco" is the diminutive of "Francisco"? But of course you're aware of that.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 30th, 2011 at 8:13:41 AM permalink
Fecha: 30 de Septíembre, 2011
Palabra: ASISTIR

Today's word is yet another false cognate/friend. You would think asistir would mean to assist. Actually, it means to be present or to accompany. I'd be interested to know if the roots of both the English assist and the Spanish asistir.

Ejemplos time.

Tengo un reuníon a asistir. = I have a meeting to attend.

¿Te puedo asistir al baile? = May I accompany you to the dance?

How many people even know that Max is short for Maxim?

I thought it was short for Maximillion.
Nareed
Nareed
September 30th, 2011 at 9:04:04 AM permalink

Fecha: 30 de Septíembre, 2011
Palabra: ASISTIR

Today's word is yet another false cognate/friend.

Not entirely.

Quote:

You would think asistir would mean to assist.

It does. But,

Quote:

Actually, it means to be present or to accompany.

It also means that.

Quote:

Tengo un reuníon a asistir. = I have a meeting to attend.

"Tengo que asistir a una reunión" or if you want to be unclear and verbose "Tengo una reunión a la cual asistir". The more colloquial way, though, would be to say "Tengo que ir a una reunión." And if it is a business meeting, the word "junta" is more common.

Quote:

¿Te puedo asistir al baile? = May I accompany you to the dance?

The Spanish phrase translates best as "Can I help you to the dance?" To say what you wrote in English, you'd say "¿Te puedo acompañar al baile?" or "¿Puedo ir contigo al baile?" or "¿Quieres venir conmigo al baile?" and so on. You woulnd't use "asistir." You could, but it would come out like "¿Puedo asistir al baile contigo?" but that sounds too formal and unnatural.

In any case, "asistir" does mean to help or to assist. It isn't used much. A sales clerk, for instance, would ask "¿Le puedo ayudar en algo?" or "¿Necesita ayuda para encontrar algo?" But if he said "¿Le puedo asistir en su compra?" he'd be correct and easily understood.

I think the word came up before, BTW.
Curious55
Curious55
September 30th, 2011 at 9:56:28 AM permalink
Max is short for Maxim
Maxim is short for Maximillion.
Would Maximillion be short for Maxibillion ? :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 30th, 2011 at 2:37:15 PM permalink
It would seem from Nareed's post above there is a disconnect between the dictionary and actual usage. Suspiro.

To change the topic, here is an auction for a 32-state set of Mexico license plates I'm keeping my eye on. At that time, mid 70s, Mexican license plates were made of a pretty poor quality metal and paint, so this is an impressive set. If I tried to do this plate by plate it would take ages and cost a LOT of money. The down side is the whole set doesn't look visually appealing. Most of the plates pretty much look the same. Where is the color Mexico is known for?

Also, I thought Mexico had 32 states plus the DF (Federal District). This is set of 32 includes the DF, so either a state is missing, or my count is wrong. Nareed, do you notice any missing?
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 30th, 2011 at 3:34:13 PM permalink

Also, I thought Mexico had 32 states plus the DF (Federal District). This is set of 32 includes the DF, so either a state is missing, or my count is wrong. Nareed, do you notice any missing?

Your count is wrong, there are 31 states + DF. As Baja California Sur (BCS) and Quintana Roo (QRO) did not become states until the mid 1970's, I suspect they were still territories when these plates were issued. Under the Mexican constitution, a territory must have a population of over 100K before it qualifies for statehood.

A curiosity is the the state encompassing Tijuana and Mexicali is "Baja Calfornia", and not "Baja California Norte" as you would expect. It seems as if in the 1950's when BC qualified for statehood, they did not think about what they would call the southern part of the peninsula when it qualified for statehood. Baja, as most people know, means "Lower" since "Alta California" is the present state of California in the USA that we took as spoils from this country's most profitable war.
Nareed
Nareed
September 30th, 2011 at 4:15:17 PM permalink

It would seem from Nareed's post above there is a disconnect between the dictionary and actual usage. Suspiro.

I can't say this enough: you need to see and hear how language is used.

Also, the word "asistir" when meaning "to attend" has a bit of a compulsory connotation. Not entirely and not in every sense, but it's there.

Quote:

To change the topic, here is an auction for a 32-state set of Mexico license plates I'm keeping my eye on.

Good luck getting it. if there's a "buy now" option, you should take it, assuming the price is acceptable.

Quote:

At that time, mid 70s, Mexican license plates were made of a pretty poor quality metal and paint, so this is an impressive set.

They only needed to last for 24 months max. Motorists were required to exchange plates every two years. Now we have "permanent" plates, allegedly, but in Mex City there have been three "permanent" sets already.

Quote:

If I tried to do this plate by plate it would take ages and cost a LOT of money. The down side is the whole set doesn't look visually appealing. Most of the plates pretty much look the same. Where is the color Mexico is known for?

The colors changed every two years. Most plates are of the same year, ergo of the same color. But you may have noticed there are two plates from 1968 with the Olympic logo o them. That's the year Mex City hosted the Summer Games.

Most of the new "permanent" plates have the colors or decoration peculiar to each state. The first set were all green on white all over the country. Starting with the second they were individualized by state. Mex City's first set featured the angel atop Independence Column, which is also the logo of a daily newspaper.

Quote:

They're all there. 31 states plus the Federal District. See the reply to Paco's post below.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 30th, 2011 at 4:27:26 PM permalink

Today's word is yet another false cognate/friend. You would think asistir would mean to assist. Actually, it means to be present or to accompany. I'd be interested to know if the roots of both the English assist and the Spanish asistir.

I would say that they are false friends, but not false cognates since the English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese words all come from the same Latin word. However, most websites disagree with me, and list it as both a false friend and a false cognate (they make no distinction between the phrases).

In English to assist it is synonymous to help where the word "help" is of Anglo Saxon origin. In all the other languages it's primary meaning is to attend although in Portuguese it sometimes means "to watch".

The Latin word assistere means to take a position. or to stand. Which is a slightly different meaning than any of the modern usages.

An archaic meaning in English was: "To stand (at a place) or to (an opinion), to attend a theatrical performance." which is much closer to the present day Romance languages interpretation of the word.

EDIT: Nareed says there is a slightly "mandatory requirement" in the translation "to attend". That would make sense, since the Latin word implies that you are a representative of a greater power and you are an assistant.
Nareed
Nareed
September 30th, 2011 at 4:38:06 PM permalink

Your count is wrong, there are 31 states + DF. As Baja California Sur (BCS) and Quintana Roo (QRO) did not become states until the mid 1970's, I suspect they were still territories when these plates were issued.

They both became states in 1974, BCS a few months earlier. The set has some plates from 68, one from Baja Sur, as a matter of fact. But at the time regulations for plates were nation-wide, so I guess territories were issued the same kinds of plates as states.

BTW, the abbreviation for Quintana Roo is QR. QRO is the abbreviation for Queretaro.

So yes, there are 31 states and the DF. There are periodic suggestions to confer statehood on the Federal District. It would be nice if they did. As things stand, the Federal District, which is the core of Mexico City, has self-rule, it elects a mayor and legislature, but the president can override its laws or practices and even the appointments of officials if he so chooses. Since President Zedillo in the mid-90s, though, no president has done so. but the ability remains and that could escalate in a partisan political war.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 30th, 2011 at 9:12:52 PM permalink
Thank you for all the help with Mexican geography and placas.

Fecha: 1 de Octobre, 2011
Palabra: PASEAR

Today word is yet another way to say walk in Spanish. It is not to be confused with caminar or andar, which also mean walk. It seems to me that caminar is the most frequently used of the three. I frankly don't know what is the distinction between these three words for walk, but am all ears to learn.

Ejemplo time

Me gusta pasear por la playa. = I like to walk on the beach.

Neccesito pasear mi perro. = I need to walk my dog.
Nareed
Nareed
September 30th, 2011 at 10:18:21 PM permalink

Thank you for all the help with Mexican geography and placas.

My pleasure

Quote:

Fecha: 1 de Octobre, 2011
Palabra: PASEAR

Today word is yet another way to say walk in Spanish. It is not to be confused with caminar or andar, which also mean walk. It seems to me that caminar is the most frequently used of the three. I frankly don't know what is the distinction between these three words for walk, but am all ears to learn.

Pasear actually means to stroll, and more important to move around or to go somewhere for enjoyment. You do ahve a knack for tough words.

Quote:

Me gusta pasear por la playa. = I like to walk on the beach.

That's a bad choice, as people do walk on the beach and not, for some reason, stroll there.

Quote:

Neccesito pasear mi perro. = I need to walk my dog.

That's actually a god one, both ways.

Take this example:

"Me gusta pasear por el centro comercial" = "I like to stroll through the mall."

It's perfectly straightforward

But consider this one:

"Fuimos a Las Vegas a pasear."

I can't translate the phrase simply. What it means is we spent a vacation in Vegas enjoying ourselves, but there's no simple translation. The closest would be "We went to Las Vegas on a holiday."

The phrase "pasear al perro," implies you take the dog out for a walk because the dog enjoys it. If you've ever owned a dog you know he'd rather go on a walk than do anything else except eat.
Curious55
Curious55
September 30th, 2011 at 11:09:56 PM permalink

"Fuimos a Las Vegas a pasear."
The closest would be "We went to Las Vegas on a holiday."

Imho, "We went to Las Vegas on a holiday." would be "Fuimos a Las Vegas de vacaciones".

Paseando entiende algun movimiento (caminando, manejando, navegando etc...)
If you stayed in your hotel in Las Vegas ...no fue a pasear.

So "Fuimos a Las Vegas a pasear" is rather "We went and strolled in Las Vegas" or "We went to LV and strolled the Strip" for example.
Nareed
Nareed
October 1st, 2011 at 6:00:49 AM permalink

Imho, "We went to Las Vegas on a holiday." would be "Fuimos a Las Vegas de vacaciones".

Yes, if you're translating from English to Spanish.

Quote:

Paseando entiende algun movimiento (caminando, manejando, navegando etc...)

Not necessarily. That's why I said pasear also means to go somewhere to do something enjoyable.

It may also mean to take something along for no purpose. Say you make a rather long trip to buy something and deliver some documents. You do buy what you needed, but cant deliver the documents for some reason. You might say "Llevé los papeles a pasear."
  • Jump to: