Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1399
  • Posts: 23635
May 17th, 2011 at 3:43:53 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

In Tucson, AZ, there is a fabulous Mexican restaurant called Mi Nidito (My Little Nest).



Thanks for the recommendation. That should be easy to remember the next time I'm in Tuscon, which is not that often I'm afraid. I'm going to ask to sit at the Clinton table.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
konceptum
konceptum
Joined: Mar 25, 2010
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 790
May 17th, 2011 at 3:45:24 PM permalink
Good luck! That table has always been busy every time I've been there since. Then again, I've never specifically asked to sit at that table.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1399
  • Posts: 23635
May 17th, 2011 at 3:47:07 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

Good luck! That table has always been busy every time I've been there since. Then again, I've never specifically asked to sit at that table.



I will not be rebuffed, for I am easily starstruck.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
May 17th, 2011 at 4:05:39 PM permalink
Chapala's (1965) in Las Vegas looks similar to Mi Nidito (1952) but no birria.

Presidentís Plate.$12.75
Bean Tostada, Birria Taco, Chile Relleno, Chicken Enchilada and Beef Tamale
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
May 17th, 2011 at 4:11:39 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Chicken Enchilada



That's redundant. Enchiladas are made with chicken by default. Usually you mention what sauce they're made with: red, green, mole, morita, etc. You can make them with cheese instead of chicken, but then they're cheese enchiladas.

So a restaurant here would list them as "Enchiladas verdes." If they're made with cheese, they'd be "Enchiladas verdes de queso."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
May 17th, 2011 at 4:15:46 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That's redundant. Enchiladas are made with chicken by default. Usually you mention what sauce they're made with: red, green, mole, morita, etc. You can make them with cheese instead of chicken, but then they're cheese enchiladas.So a restaurant here would list them as "Enchiladas verdes." If they're made with cheese, they'd be "Enchiladas verdes de queso."



I just took it from their menu. El Nidito is for gringos. Now, I've eaten in the Guadalajara Super Birriería .
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1399
  • Posts: 23635
May 17th, 2011 at 4:16:06 PM permalink
Speaking of Mexican restaurants, is there is dish one can use as a litmus test for whether they serve legitimate Mexican food or the Gringofied stuff most places do. Menudo perhaps?

For example, a good litmus test for Chinese food is chicken's feet and duck's feet. Big-eyed customers never order that.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
May 17th, 2011 at 4:30:57 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Speaking of Mexican restaurants, is there is dish one can use as a litmus test for whether they serve legitimate Mexican food or the Gringofied stuff most places do. Menudo perhaps?

For example, a good litmus test for Chinese food is chicken's feet and duck's feet. Big-eyed customers never order that.



You could ask for "manitas de puerco." I've never eaten them and never intend to. They're raw, as far as I know, pickled pig's feet <yuck>. There's also cow's feet, commonly called just "pata." I've never tried it and never will, either. I've no idea if it's cooked or not, but it's part of the hoof. It looks like soft, translucent, plastified gel. You know the joke about what goes into hot dogs, right? Here it's sold in tostadas.

And that's far from the grossest stuff available, if you can believe it.

Seriously, I've no idea. I've never eaten at a Mexican restaurant in the US. Not once. I just fail to see the point of doing so. Either it won't be authentic, which means it probably won't be good, or it will be, which means I could get it back home. So why bother?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
May 17th, 2011 at 4:42:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Speaking of Mexican restaurants, is there is dish one can use as a litmus test for whether they serve legitimate Mexican food or the Gringofied stuff most places do. Menudo perhaps?

For example, a good litmus test for Chinese food is chicken's feet and duck's feet. Big-eyed customers never order that.



I can't think of one, but here is some very authentic food. If it's on the menu, it's usually authentic.

Torta Ahogada a Guadalajaran specialty:Roast pork in a salty bollilo (crusty bread), "drowned" in a spicy chile arbol-based sauce with pickled onions and lime.
Birria
Cochinita Pibil (orange peel and annato rubbed pork shoulder wrapped in banana leaves and slowly roasted, served with spanish rice, pickled onions and black beans)
Chilaquiles breakfast food
Queso Fundido con Chorizo
Mole especially if they have choices beyond Mole Poblano
Tacos Al Pastor requires some extra effort. Any place that serves them is probably very authentic.



Your side of town has fewer Mexicans, but Lindo Michoacan is good.

Tlayudas are wonderful Oaxacan food which are sometimes sold as "Mexican pizzas". They often include Tasajo (kind of a beef jerky).



Chapulines are a delicious delicacy from different sizes of grasshoppers with garlic, lime juice and salt containing extract of agave worms, and possibly toasted with chilis, but they are hard to find outside of Los Angeles. They are pretty much a novelty in America or even in northern Mexico, but they are a staple in the deep south. Chapulines is an Zapotec word and is not Spanish for "grasshopper".
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
May 17th, 2011 at 4:50:02 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Torta Ahogada a Guadalajaran specialty:Roast pork in a salty bollilo (crusty bread), "drowned" in a spicy chile arbol-based sauce with pickled onions and lime.



You need a glove to eat ir properly, too. The alternativces are to use a knife and fork, or to spend the next two weeks cleaning the space under fingertips and finger nails.

Quote:

Tacos Al Pastor requires some extra effort. Any place that serves them is probably very authentic.



To be really authentic they must also serve gringas, if you'll pardon the irony.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

  • Jump to: