Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 17th, 2011 at 4:50:46 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Your side of town has fewer Mexicans, but Lindo Michoacan is good.

Thanks for the advice. Is the Lindo Michoacan connected to the Bonito Michoacan? As a reminder, the post-Wizard challenge dinner is planned there for 5/24.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 17th, 2011 at 5:55:30 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Is the Lindo Michoacan connected to the Bonito Michoacan?

Yes, they are the same owner. They have four locations in Las Vegas area.

The Parillada Mixta ($32 for two) looks excellent. Carnitas Michoacanas (cooked with orange slices) is a good regional dish. Birria de Chivo (goat stew) is comfort food and should be a good bet. Menudo is typically served on weekends. If you are going to get tacos, mix in some chorizo with carne asada and pollo.

If you need Michoacan trivia in case the owner stops by:
Michoacan with it's capital of Morelia is about 180 miles from the Guadalajara airport (cheap flights nonstop from Vegas).

Lake Patzcuaro with it's island town of Janitzio populated with Purepecha Indians is the best known focal point of the state of Michoacan. This is the best place to go as a tourist since it is like Lake Tahoe with good food. The owner is from about 50 miles outside of Patzcuaro from a small mountain town.
Cute tourist video of Patzcuaro, with terrible Spanish pronounciation.

The elaborate green pottery is the best known of Michoacan crafts.

The photo is of the cathedral in Morelia, the capital city of Michoacan which is very near Patzcuaro.

NY Times documentary on Monarch butterflies which winter in a remote corner of Michoacan
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 18th, 2011 at 6:24:13 AM permalink
Fecha: 18 de Mayo
Palabra del día: PASADO

Today's word again comes to us from Isla Vista, California.

Pasado = past

Much like the English word "past," pasado can be used as either a noun or an adjective.

As a noun, pasado can mean the past. For examle Ud. sólo vive en el pasado = You always live in the past.

As a adjective, pasado is the past participle (a verb used as an adjective) of the verb pasar, which is a generally means to pass through something.

Estuve enfermo el mes pasado = I was sick the last month. Corrected, thx Nareed

There may be other uses as well. By the way, pasado is not to be confused with posada, which means an inn.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 18th, 2011 at 6:49:15 AM permalink

Fue enfermo el mes pasado = I was sick the last month.

"Estuve enfermo el mes pasado."

You actually said "Last month was sick."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 18th, 2011 at 10:29:46 AM permalink

Estuve enfermo el mes pasado = I was sick the last month. Corrected, thx Nareed

estar in Spanish comes from same root that gives us status and station in English
ser and soy, eres,es, somos, son, and fui, fuiste, fue, fuimos, fueron comes from the same root that gives us essential in English

So in addition to correcting your person from 3rd to 1st, Nareed changed your verb because you want to indicate your status last month, not your essential nature.

In general you are using past preterite estuve instead of past imperfect estaba because the status of being sick is now completed.

==============
Notice that fui, fuieste, fue, fuimos, fueron is the past preterite tense of both "ser" - to be (essentially) and "ir" - "to go"

NOTE: The language weakness here is in English. The verb "to be" (am,is,are, was, were, and being) in addition to being highly irregular also acquired several different meanings over the last few millenium. There is a school of thought dating back to the 1930's that says that we should eliminate "to be" as a device to clarify thinking and strengthen writing. However, eliminating the verb is extremely difficult and requires much longer sentences.
Nareed
Nareed
May 18th, 2011 at 3:06:56 PM permalink
Speaking of pasado, it has another meaning (surprise!). Now, they say, they being me and my late English teacher among others, that one real test of the mastery of a foreign langauge is being able to understand word play. See if you can deduce the meaning from this short joke:

Narrador: ...una mujer atrapada por su pasado.

Mujer: ¡Suéltame, pasado! (slaps a man's face)

The joke is a bit by Argentinian comedy-music group Les Luthiers, from a piece called "Suite Televisiva de Pierre Perez Pizzner"

Oh, I am mean!
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 18th, 2011 at 4:53:00 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

See if you can deduce the meaning from this short joke:

I think you made it a little too short.
Quote: Les Luthiers, Hacen Muchas Gracias de Nada

MM: Quien más ha reflexionado sobre la música para televisión, sea el compositor, Pierre Pérez Pitzner, autor del libro titulado "La corchea y el orticón, interacción y propuesta". A dicho libro pertenece la célebre frase que dice: "De cada diez personas que ven televisión... cinco... son la mitad". Escucharemos a continuación, de Pierre Pérez Pitzner, su "Suite televisiva Opus 83", también llamada "La tanda", para recitantes, coro y pequeño conjunto instrumental.

CORO: Televicio

DR: Televicio.

MM: La mejor programación
Este Sábado no se aparte de Televicio.

DR: A las 15:00 en "Cine de estreno"
"La Indomable"

MM: La Indomable, una mujer atrapada por su pasado.

JM: "Suéltame pasado!!!"

MM: La Indomable, una mujer que tuvo que enfrentar el violento mundo de los hombres.

DR: Pero nadie pudo con la Indomable.

MM: El Sábado a las 15:00 la Indomable estará en su pantalla.

DR: Si ella quiere.

Nareed
Nareed
May 18th, 2011 at 8:35:32 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think you made it a little too short.

I think you're skirting the question.

But yes, I was at work, and in the first place I haven't heard that album in years. It's not as good as "Cartas de Color" or "Mastropiero que Nunca," but the TV parody is very effective.

Where's you find the transcript? I'd love to get my hands on their full works someday.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 18th, 2011 at 8:51:57 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Where's you find the transcript? I'd love to get my hands on their full works someday.

full transcript
video of routine
Nareed
Nareed
May 18th, 2011 at 9:08:06 PM permalink
Thanks!

• Jump to: