Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 24th, 2014 at 10:18:36 AM permalink
I know there have been a few threads here about selecting stocks, and what people are specifically picking. I have bought gaming related stocks (SHFL, CZR, NTEK, DEQSF, GLXZ) and have luckily done quite well with them overall. I think CZR alone is triple what I bought it for. I will soon be having a decent sum of money that will be coming from a pension plan that I will roll over into an IRA, so I will be buying stocks. I am asking for forum members, who are kind enough to, to each recommend a stock for me to buy, and I will then have a "WoV' portfolio! There are no pre-determined criteria, just that it is easy to buy on TD Ameritrade. I am not in it for a quick kill, rather, I hope to buy and hold for years. I think I will get access to the money in early March. Thanks for those who choose to make a suggestion!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 24th, 2014 at 10:31:57 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I know there have been a few threads here about selecting stocks, and what people are specifically picking. I have bought gaming related stocks (SHFL, CZR, NTEK, DEQSF, GLXZ) and have luckily done quite well with them overall.

Did you by NTEK before or after AHigh went to work for them?
http://www.nanotechent.com/team.php
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 10:40:07 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Did you by NTEK before or after AHigh went to work for them?
http://www.nanotechent.com/team.php

Right after. I like being able to tell a friend 'he now works for me!' That's why I bought DEQSF and GLXZ. I made a good amount of money on SHFL, too, as it liquidated at around a 50% profit from what I bought it at. I'm down 20% on both NTEK and DEQSF, around even on GLXZ. I'm waiting for your tip, my extremist friend....
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 24th, 2014 at 10:41:30 AM permalink
I'm going to suggest an IRA type of stock, Costco (COST). It grows about 10% each year and has a dividend. Management doesn't take risks. They are not as saturated as Walmart. If you're risk averse like any IRA should be then Costco should be in there.

I have other suggestions if you want to take a rollercoaster ride but I won't offer them unless you ask.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 10:48:01 AM permalink
Costco will be my first pick. Whichever 'rollercoaster' choice you offer will be my second stock in the portfolio. Thanks!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 24th, 2014 at 11:12:10 AM permalink
how about ETFs?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
Thanked by
Ajaxx
February 24th, 2014 at 11:15:40 AM permalink

I know there have been a few threads here about selecting stocks, and what people are specifically picking. I have bought gaming related stocks (SHFL, CZR, NTEK, DEQSF, GLXZ) and have luckily done quite well with them overall. I think CZR alone is triple what I bought it for. I will soon be having a decent sum of money that will be coming from a pension plan that I will roll over into an IRA, so I will be buying stocks. I am asking for forum members, who are kind enough to, to each recommend a stock for me to buy, and I will then have a "WoV' portfolio! There are no pre-determined criteria, just that it is easy to buy on TD Ameritrade. I am not in it for a quick kill, rather, I hope to buy and hold for years. I think I will get access to the money in early March. Thanks for those who choose to make a suggestion!

In general I avoid picking individual stocks as I believe almost no one (certainly not mortals like us) can beat an index fund approach over time. But, that being said, I support setting aside a small part of your portfolio to tinker, as we all have that instinct (especially people on this board, since it is essentially gambling!). Scratch that itch with some "play money" and leave the rest of it alone.

I have done this with my own portfolio to gamble on some marijuana stocks (got in last summer), and have made out quite well so far, selling off enough to recoup my initial investment and letting the rest ride. The stocks all went crazy after Jan 1, when CO officially started selling legal recreational marijuana. This is rampant speculating, as many of these companies are NOT profitable, in fact many of them don't even have an income stream yet. But this is analogous to buying "picks and shovels" stocks during a gold rush. Whenever some big news story breaks about marijuana legalization efforts, the stocks skyrocket.

So, SOOPOO, if you're up for some speculation, I will throw out FSPM, CBIS, and MDBX. Take your pick, or just buy a basket :).

Also, to bring this back around to my first paragraph, you do have the bulk of your investments in low-cost index funds and ETFs, allocated to meet your retirement goals, right? Right? (More info here on one of my favorite investing books.)
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 11:22:12 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

In general I avoid picking individual stocks as I believe almost no one (certainly not mortals like us) can beat an index fund approach over time. But, that being said, I support setting aside a small part of your portfolio to tinker, as we all have that instinct (especially people on this board, since it is essentially gambling!). Scratch that itch with some "play money" and leave the rest of it alone.

I have done this with my own portfolio to gamble on some marijuana stocks (got in last summer), and have made out quite well so far, selling off enough to recoup my initial investment and letting the rest ride. The stocks all went crazy after Jan 1, when CO officially started selling legal recreational marijuana. This is rampant speculating, as many of these companies are NOT profitable, in fact many of them don't even have an income stream yet. But this is analogous to buying "picks and shovels" stocks during a gold rush. Whenever some big news story breaks about marijuana legalization efforts, the stocks skyrocket.

So, SOOPOO, if you're up for some speculation, I will throw out FSPM, CBIS, and MDBX. Take your pick, or just buy a basket :).

Also, to bring this back around to my first paragraph, you do have the bulk of your investments in low-cost index funds and ETFs, allocated to meet your retirement goals, right? Right? (More info here on one of my favorite investing books.)

No worries, Aces!! I am extremely diversified. I will pick the first one you mentioned, FSPM, for my portfolio. I rather not post exactly how much I have to invest, but I plan on investing around 1% of this account on each stock or ETF. If I get less than 100, the rest will go into something like SPY. So far I have COST and FSPM.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 11:25:16 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

how about ETFs?

I consider an ETF the equivalent of a stock, in that it is easily bought or sold. I own many in other accounts. If you suggest a favorite ETF I will buy it.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 24th, 2014 at 11:25:36 AM permalink
If I was to pick, most of my stocks would be long term picks, with established money streams, some growth and regular dividends. Looking at the stocks in Canada that meet various div%, market cap size and P/#E rations, those are the same stocks in my tracking funds.

If I was looking at a couple of stocks for themselves, I'd look at one of the Canadian Banks (BMO and TD have US tradable shares, I'd probably take Canadian Western though) for their dullness. Or I might look at Illumina (NASDAQ ILMN), as they are the big dog in Genomics sequencing machines, an area I think will contain to grow strongly in the next decade. Plus they have income streams from not only selling hardware, but consumable chemicals.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 24th, 2014 at 11:27:15 AM permalink

No worries, Aces!! I am extremely diversified. I will pick the first one you mentioned, FSPM, for my portfolio. I rather not post exactly how much I have to invest, but I plan on investing around 1% of this account on each stock or ETF. If I get less than 100, the rest will go into something like SPY. So far I have COST and FSPM.

Sweet, sounds good. FSPM has been a great performer for me, but I got in at $0.15 (currently trading at $4.55)! However, I put that one first as based on my (limited) research, they actually have one of the better business models and chance for success of all the weed stocks I purchased.

If you are short on recommendations later on in this process, I'll suggest a few more. Actually in retrospect I would put TRTC above CBIS and MDBX on that list above. Similar to FSPM I like their business model, but they haven't exploded as much and hence might be a better buy right now.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
February 24th, 2014 at 11:42:16 AM permalink
SOOPOO, if I may, I would like to recommend SVA. It is a Chinese drug outfit that is focused on developing vaccines. I continue to have very high hopes for it.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
February 24th, 2014 at 12:10:19 PM permalink

Costco will be my first pick. Whichever 'rollercoaster' choice you offer will be my second stock in the portfolio. Thanks!

I had an awesome win today with GTAT. I own it in my IRA but I bought it back when it was $9.82 I'm holding onto GTAT for awhile since they will be providing Sapphire Glass for Apple products for the foreseeable future. Unlike COST, GTAT is very risky.

Edit: I thought I'd get cute and try to squeeze a little more $ out of my GTAT position so I sold Call options against it and then at the end of the trading session, the stock popped again. I will probably have my position called on March 22 but I can always buy it back afterward.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
geoff
geoff
  • Threads: 3
February 24th, 2014 at 12:12:22 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

SOOPOO, if I may, I would like to recommend SVA. It is a Chinese drug outfit that is focused on developing vaccines. I continue to have very high hopes for it.

You had me at Chinese drug outfit.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
February 24th, 2014 at 12:50:03 PM permalink

I consider an ETF the equivalent of a stock, in that it is easily bought or sold. I own many in other accounts. If you suggest a favorite ETF I will buy it.

ETFs by their nature are less of a gambling instrument; by narrowing sector, the gamble is a little higher.

Here's a couple of favorites, out of the "safe" mode a bit.

* VDE, VANGUARD WORLDS FDS VANGUARD ENERGY ETF

* AOA , ISHARES TR AGGRESSIVE ALLOCATION ETF
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
February 24th, 2014 at 1:35:58 PM permalink
My choice is Altria (MO). I add it to my portfolio every month, and will probably never sell. It gets %5 div every year, and smokers aren't going anywhere.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 24th, 2014 at 1:45:21 PM permalink
I love CSCO (Cisco). They're very solid and affordable. Down a little over the last 6 months, though.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
February 24th, 2014 at 3:32:42 PM permalink
MO is my #1 primary holding..bot it when it was yielding 6.5% or so.

But since that has been reco'd I'll go with DIS (Disney). They can name their own price with ESPN programming, have revitalized the animation department with the purchase of Pixar, have a cash cow in the live action movie dept with Marvel, etc, and have you been to the parks lately?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 25th, 2014 at 4:45:13 AM permalink
Update- thanks to all who have been helping!

s2- COST maybe also GTAT, but it has already gone up 6 fold this year
Aces- not sure yet FSPM up 55 fold, TRTC up 8 fold, CBIS up 5 fold, and MDBX in the middle of 'accounting irregularities. I am leaning towards CBIS, as I like the concept of owning a stock tied to marijuana 'growth'!
Cesspit- I think I'll take all 3 BMO TD and ILMN, even though ILMN has nearly quadrupled already this year...
Steel SVA
Odious VDE and AOA
JW MO
BBB CSCO (even though I own it in my other pension portfolio!)
Slyther DIS

COST, GTAT, CBIS, BMO, TD, ILMN, SVA, VDE, AOA, MO, CSCO, DIS
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
February 25th, 2014 at 6:09:02 AM permalink
While considering which single stock to recommend, one of the choices I was mulling over is Tesla. Morgan Stanley just raised their price target on TSLA to $320 from $153. This is killing me because I wanted to jump back in at $100 but TSLA didn't quite fall that far. Elon Musk is making things happen and I have no reason to doubt that he can't get whatever he wants done. The guy launches rockets into space as a hobby!

It's not too late to hop on the solar bandwagon. That seems hot right now with CSIQ, FSLR and SPWR all showing amazing gains for the last year. They are justifying those gains with impressive sales numbers and positive earning gains as well. High growth potential in solarpanels.

So if you like Elon Musk and you like Solar then the perfect stock for you is SCTY. If I were to add another stock to the mix for the long term, it would be Solar City.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
February 25th, 2014 at 6:23:15 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

TSLA

Enormous gamble, so maybe that suits!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 25th, 2014 at 10:33:52 AM permalink
I'm adding SCTY as per s2. COST< GTAT< CBIS< BMO<TD<ILMN<SVA<VDE<AOA<MO<CSCO<DIS<SCTY
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
February 25th, 2014 at 11:34:52 AM permalink
Long term play, making gobs of money, predictably growing earnings at 22-24% for the next three years.....CELG is my pick for you Soopoo. Current price is $163.70 per share which buys you 2014 earnings estimated at $7.31.....going to $9.59 in 2015.....going to $12.30 in 2016....going to $15.31 in 2017.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
February 25th, 2014 at 12:42:09 PM permalink
MA : Mastercard

Would you like 3% of an estimated 25% (and growing!) of worldwide credit card transactions? I would.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 25th, 2014 at 12:50:30 PM permalink
Adding CELG per paradigm, and MA as per Dwheatley
steeldco
steeldco
February 26th, 2014 at 2:27:57 PM permalink
Always nice to get mentioned in the New England Journal of Medicine...........

BEIJING, Feb. 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sinovac Biotech Ltd. (SVA), a leading provider of biopharmaceutical products in China, announced today that Phase III clinical trial results for its proprietary Enterovirus 71 ("EV71") vaccine have been published online in the February 27th issue of The New England Journal of Medicine ("NEJM"). The clinical results showed the efficacy of the vaccine against EV71-associated hand, foot and mouth disease ("HFMD"), or herpangina, was 94.8% among infants and young children and an anti-EV71 neutralizing antibody titer of 1:16 was associated with protection against EV71 associated HFMD or herpangina. As outlined in the NEJM article, Sinovac's vaccine also demonstrated a 100% efficacy rate against EV71-associated hospitalization and against HFMD with neurologic complications, the main cause of fatalities.

The article, entitled "Efficacy, Safety, and Immunogenicity of an Enterovirus 71 Vaccine in China," chronicles the results of the Phase III clinical trial on 10,077 healthy infants and young children in China (6 to 35 months of age) with a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial method. The subjects were randomly assigned in a 1:1 ratio to receive two intramuscular doses of either Sinovac's EV71 vaccine or placebo, 28 days apart. The surveillance period was 12 months. The primary endpoint was the occurrence of EV71-associated HFMD, or herpangina. The results showed the vaccine can provide protection against EV71 associated HFMD in infants and children.

According to the statistics from National Health and Family Planning Commission of China from 2008 to 2013, more than 9 million total cases of HFMD were reported, resulting in around 2,700 reported fatalities in China. According to an epidemiological study for the period of 2008 to 2012, around 80% of the severe cases and over 90% of fatal cases were caused by the enterovirus 71 (or EV71 ) infection.

Fengcai Zhu, M.D., Director of Jiangsu Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, co-principal investigator and lead author, said, "This study showed that the EV71 vaccine provides protection to the infants and young children against EV71-associated HFMD and the vaccine candidate has good safety and immunogenicity profile. HFMD has been an increasingly important public health issue among the young children in Asia-Pacific region, including China, and caused a significant social burden. The successful development of the EV71 vaccine is an exciting achievement by Sinovac, as it will provide an effective tool to protect infants and young children against EV71 associated HFMD, especially at the level of severe cases and potential fatalities."

Mr. Weidong Yin, Chairman, President and CEO commented, "The peer-reviewed publication in NEJM of our Phase III clinical trial results shows that our scientific contribution is acknowledged by the academia. The follow-up research is still ongoing. As there is no commercialized vaccine and no EV71 specific treatment available, there are increasing unmet medical needs. We are pleased to see that our vaccine is able to provide protection to infants and children against the EV71-associated HMFD. Sinovac is well prepared for the commercialization of this much needed vaccine. Once the regulatory approval is granted, we will be able to contribute to the overall control and prevention of this devastating disease."

About EV71 and HFMD

Enterovirus 71, or EV71, causes Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (or HFMD). More than 90% of the reported cases occur in children under five years old. HFMD is a common and usually mild childhood disease. However, there has been an increase in severe HFMD cases reported associated with neurological symptoms caused by EV71. A growing number of outbreaks of EV71 HFMD have been reported since 1997 across the Asia-Pacific region, including mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan. Outbreaks have been reported in Malaysia (1997), Taiwan (1998, 2000 & 2001), mainland China (1998-2008), Australia (1999) and Singapore (2000) among other areas in the region. No specific treatment for this enterovirus infection and no vaccine are currently available.

In China, HFMD has become a very serious problem, especially in children, given that no vaccine and specific treatment is currently available to protect against this disease. In March 2008, an EV71 outbreak in Fuyang City of China's Anhui Province caused 23 fatalities, and attracted significant attention from the government and medical communities. In May 2008, the Chinese Ministry of Health identified EV71 as a Class C infectious disease according to prevention and control regulations. EV71 outbreaks have increased over the last five years, with more than 1 million cases identified and 500 to 900 reported fatalities each year. According to the statistics from National Health and Family Planning Commission of China from 2008 to 2013, more than 9 million cases of HFMD have been reported, resulting in around 2,700 fatalities.

About Sinovac's EV71 Vaccine

Sinovac Biotech Ltd. commenced research and development for its independently developed EV71 vaccine in 2008. In December of 2009, Sinovac completed pre-clinical research and filed a clinical trial application to China Food and Drug Administration (CFDA) and in December 2010, received CFDA's approval to assess safety and immunogenicity in Phase I and II clinical trials, and to conduct an efficacy study in a Phase III clinical trial. In 2011, Sinovac conducted and completed Phase I and II clinical trials. The results demonstrated that Sinovac's EV71 vaccine has a good safety and immunogenicity profile, which was the basis for the recently concluded Phase III clinical trial for efficacy in the beginning of 2012. The phase I clinical result was published by the peer-reviewed journal Vaccine in March of 2012. The phase II clinical results were published by "The Journal of Infectious Diseases" in 2013. And also in 2013, the results on immunogenicity, safety and lot consistency study in phase III clinical trial were published in "Clinical and Vaccine Immunology."

About Sinovac

Sinovac Biotech Ltd. is a China-based biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the research, development, manufacturing and commercialization of vaccines that protect against human infectious diseases including hepatitis A and B, seasonal influenza, H5N1 pandemic influenza (avian flu), H1N1 influenza (swine flu) and mumps, as well as animal rabies vaccine for canines. The Company recently concluded the phase III clinical trial for enterovirus 71 (against hand, foot and mouth disease) and filed new drug application with China Food & Drug Administration. In 2009, Sinovac was the first company worldwide to receive approval for its H1N1 influenza vaccine, Panflu.1, and has manufactured it for the Chinese Central Government, pursuant to the government-stockpiling program. The Company is also the only supplier of the H5N1 pandemic influenza vaccine to the government-stockpiling program. Sinovac is developing a number of new pipeline vaccines including vaccines for pneumococcal polysaccharides, pneumococcal conjugate, varicella and rubella. Sinovac sells its vaccines mainly in China and exports selected vaccines to Mongolia, Nepal, and the Philippines. Sinovac has also been granted a license to commercialize seasonal flu vaccine in Mexico.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 27th, 2014 at 5:08:33 AM permalink

Always nice to get mentioned in the New England Journal of Medicine...........About Sinovac

q]

Thanks for the update. I found out the pension officially liquidates March 1. Then they have to figure out exactly how much goes to each participant to roll over. Then they have to mail checks to second accounting firm to re-check. Then second firm has to get a trustee (me) to sign checks. Then checks will be mailed to each individual. Then the individual has to deposit it in to the account they will be opening (I'm using TD Ameritrade). Then check will have to clear. Then I will have online access to buy the stocks. Sounds like best case scenario is second week in March.

michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
March 6th, 2014 at 12:29:22 AM permalink
I've been holding a core position in CELG since mid 2011, along with trading in and out of a smaller position since early 2012. its certainly undervalued on a PEG basis compared to its peers. I believe there's an FDA ruling on a new drug on 3/21 which could be a catalyst for the stock. I'm glad to see its included in the WOV portfolio.

I hope that $9.60 EPs estimate for 2015 comes to fruition.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 6th, 2014 at 5:48:12 AM permalink
Update- Money still not available yet. Due to a transfer from a different IRA 10% of the final portfolio will be in a mutual fund, American Century Ultra.
SCTY
COST
GTAT
CBIS
BMO
TD
ILMN
SVA
VDE
AOA
MO
CSCO
DIS
MA
CELG
NTEK

Until I get the money I am still accepting suggestions. I just added NTEK as per Teddys suggestion below.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 6th, 2014 at 8:58:33 AM permalink
NTEK is down to $0.08/share. Not to "pump and dump," but I visited AHigh and the CEO of NTEK, Dave Foley, at their new Vegas office last weekend and they are doing some REALLY cool stuff.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
michael99000
michael99000
March 6th, 2014 at 11:14:09 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

I've been holding a core position in CELG since mid 2011, along with trading in and out of a smaller position since early 2012. its certainly undervalued on a PEG basis compared to its peers. I believe there's an FDA ruling on a new drug on 3/21 which could be a catalyst for the stock. I'm glad to see its included in the WOV portfolio.

I hope that $9.60 EPs estimate for 2015 comes to fruition.

I really put the jinx on CELG. Has one of its worst days right after I say I like it. But the whole biotech sector tanked in the afternoon, there was no specific company news, so now I like it even more. I have a buy order in at $154 should it get that low. I also like the April $150 calls, which were trading for $11 yesterday.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
March 6th, 2014 at 11:22:15 PM permalink
inter pipelines ipl.un on the tsx is as good as you will ever find.........canada has the oil and gas, u.s.a. needs the oil and gas......interpipe lines facilitates this.
get second you pig
michael99000
michael99000
March 7th, 2014 at 12:50:31 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

inter pipelines ipl.un on the tsx is as good as you will ever find.........canada has the oil and gas, u.s.a. needs the oil and gas......interpipe lines facilitates this.

Does this trade on the NYSE
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 7th, 2014 at 5:13:48 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

IPL.TO is how it is listed.
It has quadrupled in the last 5 years, so hopefully I won't be buying high, selling low!
If I can buy it for my account I will. Not sure if I have access to Toronto Stock Exchange.
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
March 7th, 2014 at 7:39:43 AM permalink

IPL.TO is how it is listed.

You can buy the company shares as IPPLF in the USA, but liquidity is inferior, so the bid-ask spread will likely be wider. In fact, the markets have been open for an hour, and I don't yet see a quote available for IPPLF. There's a CAD/USD currency differential of ~ 10%, so with IPL.TO currently trading near 29, IPPLF should be priced at about 26.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 7th, 2014 at 12:49:15 PM permalink
Can you buy AR? For some reason I think the company is going to do well...

Scott, I didn't mean to suggest that you buy NTEK. I was just pointing out that I visited the company. But hey, it's only $0.08! AR is I think around $60.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 10th, 2014 at 11:58:36 AM permalink
I just went to office and signed the final paperwork that allows the checks to be sent. Still a few more days for suggestions! I am adding AR as per teddys. IPPLF may be added, depending on how I can buy it. It has no 'bid/ask price' listed on TD Ameritrade, just a 'last sale price', which means I will not just put in a 'market order'.
I am also adding FB as per my brother in law. He is an active manager of his own portfolio, and told me to keep his portion in cash. He said he just liquidated his entire retirement portfolio to cash! When I asked him which stock he would pick if forced to for long term, he said FB. He believes that Zuckerberg is a true genius, and when things change he will be on the forefront.

SCTY COST GTAT CBIS BMO TD ILMN SVA VDE AOA MO CSCO DIS MA CELG NTEK AR IPPLF FB
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 10th, 2014 at 2:39:34 PM permalink

He is an active manager of his own portfolio, and told me to keep his portion in cash. He said he just liquidated his entire retirement portfolio to cash!

Wow, how old is he? IMO that is madness. I do think the overall stock market is over-valued, but cash? At least invest in bonds or something that will give you a decent yield.

Nevertheless, I think you should keep his portion in cash, just to compare. If the stock market crashes, he will look like a genius :).
steeldco
steeldco
March 10th, 2014 at 2:47:26 PM permalink
AcesAndEights, I rather like the move. In addition, a bond position, in a rising interest rate environment (which I believe is on the horizon) would not be good.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 10th, 2014 at 3:20:42 PM permalink

Wow, how old is he? IMO that is madness. I do think the overall stock market is over-valued, but cash? At least invest in bonds or something that will give you a decent yield.

Nevertheless, I think you should keep his portion in cash, just to compare. If the stock market crashes, he will look like a genius :).

I don't agree with him, but it is clearly not madness. He is just saying right now he believes the market is overvalued, and it will correct to a lower level, and he will reinvest into stocks then. I am not smart enough to 'time' the market, so I don't try. Since I'm allocating 1% or so to each selection, keeping 1% in cash has no real meaning, as I probably will have around that all the time in cash as dividends come in until I buy something else.
steeldco
steeldco
March 10th, 2014 at 3:25:02 PM permalink

I don't agree with him, but it is clearly not madness. He is just saying right now he believes the market is overvalued, and it will correct to a lower level, and he will reinvest into stocks then. I am not smart enough to 'time' the market, so I don't try. Since I'm allocating 1% or so to each selection, keeping 1% in cash has no real meaning, as I probably will have around that all the time in cash as dividends come in until I buy something else.

SOOPOO, you're going to hold 100 different issues?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 10th, 2014 at 3:31:39 PM permalink

SOOPOO, you're going to hold 100 different issues?

Unlikely. It seems like I will have around 20 suggestions. I will probably do around 1% each. I already have around 10% in the Ultra mutual fund which I will probably keep. The other 70% will be split amongst some ETFs to make it pretty diversified, so probably 7 or so ETFs.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 10th, 2014 at 3:34:37 PM permalink

I am not smart enough to 'time' the market, so I don't try.

Neither am I, and neither is your brother in law.

I am making a bold statement there, but I am a strong believer in efficient markets and the random walk. Anyone trying to "time the market" or pick individual winning stocks is playing a losing game. Just like gambling, you can win big or you can lose big, but if you win big it's luck.

Does your bro-in-law do well?
steeldco
steeldco
March 10th, 2014 at 3:42:35 PM permalink

but if you win big it's luck.

If SOOPOO'S brother-in-law turns out to have made the right call.....and if he's done well in the past, are you still going to call it "luck"?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 10th, 2014 at 3:47:39 PM permalink

Neither am I, and neither is your brother in law.

I am making a bold statement there, but I am a strong believer in efficient markets and the random walk. Anyone trying to "time the market" or pick individual winning stocks is playing a losing game. Just like gambling, you can win big or you can lose big, but if you win big it's luck.

Does your bro-in-law do well?

LOL! He lives in a bigger house than I do! But he has worked in different capacities on Wall Street his whole life. I 'think' he does well, but I haven't asked him for advice for 20 years. When I first had access to enough money to invest, he was following a stock called Sunshine Mining. Back then, stocks traded in fractions, as opposed to cents. So he told me that Sunshine traded at between 13/16 and 15/16, and would basically go up and down, day after day. He would buy at 13, sell at 15, making 15% pretty frequently. I figured I would try it! I waited.... got in at 13/16. A few days later, after some bad news, it was trading at 7/16! Even though it was a small amount of money, I felt like an idiot. If its too good to be true.... I held it, it slowly went up, then reached 1! I sold, happily taking my 20% profit, hating the 'ride'. A year or two later it was at 3..... That was the last time I bought a stock with the intention of selling it. But he has looked for similar opportunities, taking advantage of the 'vibrations'.
SFB
SFB
  • Threads: 2
March 10th, 2014 at 4:28:10 PM permalink
SooPoo:

If you are going to take Tesla for a ride, look into CMG. Chipolte. I bought at $30 and sold at $400, and its at $550+ now...

Still a buy and hold stock however.

Amazon. When Bezos decides to raise prices the stock will go crazy.

How long do you have to wait?

I would recommend selling the ETFs. Lower cost of getting in then mutual funds, but after awhile, you have the ETF's fees, then TDAmeritrade's account costs, all sucking a little more from your account.

Once you are past 25-30 stocks, as long as you stay away from over weighting too much in any one sector, you will be pretty well diversified.

The only thing to do, is the same things that every broker and advisor says that they are doing but they do not do FOR you. Clear out losing positions every year, and buy better companies.

"Buy and hold" only mean you do that for stocks that are doing well.

And since this is in a tax advantaged account, you can rebalance without tax cost...

SFB
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 11th, 2014 at 11:02:47 AM permalink
I'll add CMG. Does anyone know why GLXZ is up 38% today? Not that I'm complaining....
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 15th, 2014 at 1:39:27 PM permalink
Quote: SFB

I would recommend selling the ETFs. Lower cost of getting in then mutual funds, but after awhile, you have the ETF's fees, then TDAmeritrade's account costs, all sucking a little more from your account.

What? Any ETF's fees are disclosed via the expense ratio, which you can compare right along side the mutual funds as well. In addition, most brokerage accounts allow you to trade in their "branded" asset-class ETFs with no trading fees.

Quote:

Once you are past 25-30 stocks, as long as you stay away from over weighting too much in any one sector, you will be pretty well diversified.

The only thing to do, is the same things that every broker and advisor says that they are doing but they do not do FOR you. Clear out losing positions every year, and buy better companies.

"Buy and hold" only mean you do that for stocks that are doing well.

WOW, this is some genuinely terrible investing advice. Sounds like a recipe for buying high, selling low, and eating up your return in trading fees.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 16th, 2014 at 9:29:50 AM permalink

What? Any ETF's fees are disclosed via the expense ratio, which you can compare right along side the mutual funds as well. In addition, most brokerage accounts allow you to trade in their "branded" asset-class ETFs with no trading fees.

WOW, this is some genuinely terrible investing advice. Sounds like a recipe for buying high, selling low, and eating up your return in trading fees.

ETF fees are extremely low when compared to most mutual funds. My TD account has not maintenance fees. I can buy or sell $100,000 worth of an ETF for $9. I am hoping to only be buying, never selling, I plan on leaving that task to my heirs.

I expect to have access to my money either tomorrow or Tuesday. Still time for any WoV member to chime in on an individual stock. I would also like to put a 1% stake in Russia. Any one have a particular stock or ETF for Russia?
steeldco
steeldco
March 16th, 2014 at 9:37:10 AM permalink
I have only one Russian company that I like and that is YNDX. Can't seem to find another that I would sink funds into.
  • Jump to: