Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 102
February 24th, 2014 at 10:18:36 AM permalink
I know there have been a few threads here about selecting stocks, and what people are specifically picking. I have bought gaming related stocks (SHFL, CZR, NTEK, DEQSF, GLXZ) and have luckily done quite well with them overall. I think CZR alone is triple what I bought it for. I will soon be having a decent sum of money that will be coming from a pension plan that I will roll over into an IRA, so I will be buying stocks. I am asking for forum members, who are kind enough to, to each recommend a stock for me to buy, and I will then have a "WoV' portfolio! There are no pre-determined criteria, just that it is easy to buy on TD Ameritrade. I am not in it for a quick kill, rather, I hope to buy and hold for years. I think I will get access to the money in early March. Thanks for those who choose to make a suggestion!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 24th, 2014 at 10:31:57 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I know there have been a few threads here about selecting stocks, and what people are specifically picking. I have bought gaming related stocks (SHFL, CZR, NTEK, DEQSF, GLXZ) and have luckily done quite well with them overall.

Did you by NTEK before or after AHigh went to work for them?
http://www.nanotechent.com/team.php
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 10:40:07 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Did you by NTEK before or after AHigh went to work for them?
http://www.nanotechent.com/team.php

Right after. I like being able to tell a friend 'he now works for me!' That's why I bought DEQSF and GLXZ. I made a good amount of money on SHFL, too, as it liquidated at around a 50% profit from what I bought it at. I'm down 20% on both NTEK and DEQSF, around even on GLXZ. I'm waiting for your tip, my extremist friend....
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 24th, 2014 at 10:41:30 AM permalink
I'm going to suggest an IRA type of stock, Costco (COST). It grows about 10% each year and has a dividend. Management doesn't take risks. They are not as saturated as Walmart. If you're risk averse like any IRA should be then Costco should be in there.

I have other suggestions if you want to take a rollercoaster ride but I won't offer them unless you ask.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 10:48:01 AM permalink
Costco will be my first pick. Whichever 'rollercoaster' choice you offer will be my second stock in the portfolio. Thanks!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 292
February 24th, 2014 at 11:12:10 AM permalink
how about ETFs?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
Thanks for this post from:
Ajaxx
February 24th, 2014 at 11:15:40 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I know there have been a few threads here about selecting stocks, and what people are specifically picking. I have bought gaming related stocks (SHFL, CZR, NTEK, DEQSF, GLXZ) and have luckily done quite well with them overall. I think CZR alone is triple what I bought it for. I will soon be having a decent sum of money that will be coming from a pension plan that I will roll over into an IRA, so I will be buying stocks. I am asking for forum members, who are kind enough to, to each recommend a stock for me to buy, and I will then have a "WoV' portfolio! There are no pre-determined criteria, just that it is easy to buy on TD Ameritrade. I am not in it for a quick kill, rather, I hope to buy and hold for years. I think I will get access to the money in early March. Thanks for those who choose to make a suggestion!

In general I avoid picking individual stocks as I believe almost no one (certainly not mortals like us) can beat an index fund approach over time. But, that being said, I support setting aside a small part of your portfolio to tinker, as we all have that instinct (especially people on this board, since it is essentially gambling!). Scratch that itch with some "play money" and leave the rest of it alone.

I have done this with my own portfolio to gamble on some marijuana stocks (got in last summer), and have made out quite well so far, selling off enough to recoup my initial investment and letting the rest ride. The stocks all went crazy after Jan 1, when CO officially started selling legal recreational marijuana. This is rampant speculating, as many of these companies are NOT profitable, in fact many of them don't even have an income stream yet. But this is analogous to buying "picks and shovels" stocks during a gold rush. Whenever some big news story breaks about marijuana legalization efforts, the stocks skyrocket.

So, SOOPOO, if you're up for some speculation, I will throw out FSPM, CBIS, and MDBX. Take your pick, or just buy a basket :).

Also, to bring this back around to my first paragraph, you do have the bulk of your investments in low-cost index funds and ETFs, allocated to meet your retirement goals, right? Right? (More info here on one of my favorite investing books.)
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 11:22:12 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

In general I avoid picking individual stocks as I believe almost no one (certainly not mortals like us) can beat an index fund approach over time. But, that being said, I support setting aside a small part of your portfolio to tinker, as we all have that instinct (especially people on this board, since it is essentially gambling!). Scratch that itch with some "play money" and leave the rest of it alone.

I have done this with my own portfolio to gamble on some marijuana stocks (got in last summer), and have made out quite well so far, selling off enough to recoup my initial investment and letting the rest ride. The stocks all went crazy after Jan 1, when CO officially started selling legal recreational marijuana. This is rampant speculating, as many of these companies are NOT profitable, in fact many of them don't even have an income stream yet. But this is analogous to buying "picks and shovels" stocks during a gold rush. Whenever some big news story breaks about marijuana legalization efforts, the stocks skyrocket.

So, SOOPOO, if you're up for some speculation, I will throw out FSPM, CBIS, and MDBX. Take your pick, or just buy a basket :).

Also, to bring this back around to my first paragraph, you do have the bulk of your investments in low-cost index funds and ETFs, allocated to meet your retirement goals, right? Right? (More info here on one of my favorite investing books.)

No worries, Aces!! I am extremely diversified. I will pick the first one you mentioned, FSPM, for my portfolio. I rather not post exactly how much I have to invest, but I plan on investing around 1% of this account on each stock or ETF. If I get less than 100, the rest will go into something like SPY. So far I have COST and FSPM.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 24th, 2014 at 11:25:16 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

how about ETFs?

I consider an ETF the equivalent of a stock, in that it is easily bought or sold. I own many in other accounts. If you suggest a favorite ETF I will buy it.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 24th, 2014 at 11:25:36 AM permalink
If I was to pick, most of my stocks would be long term picks, with established money streams, some growth and regular dividends. Looking at the stocks in Canada that meet various div%, market cap size and P/#E rations, those are the same stocks in my tracking funds.

If I was looking at a couple of stocks for themselves, I'd look at one of the Canadian Banks (BMO and TD have US tradable shares, I'd probably take Canadian Western though) for their dullness. Or I might look at Illumina (NASDAQ ILMN), as they are the big dog in Genomics sequencing machines, an area I think will contain to grow strongly in the next decade. Plus they have income streams from not only selling hardware, but consumable chemicals.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: