9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 21st, 2018 at 9:04:50 PM permalink
Starting this as a catch all for Sports talk when one does not want to start a whole new thread.
----------

1st no-hitter of 2018: OAK vs BOS - Lefty Sean Manaea (of the A's) no hit the hottest team in baseball. Impressive.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-athletics/2018/04/21/529706#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=529706
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
April 22nd, 2018 at 1:39:42 AM permalink
Why do the NBA playoffs seem so simple to pick after the game is over? I mean, we all know looking at a sporting event after same is easy, but it just seems like the NBA is easier than other sports, to pick, at playoff time...Is it just me? Thanks.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:45:00 AM permalink
I don't follow the NBA much, partly because at the start of the season you know which 2-3 teams will be in the championship. Rarely is there any surpise team that jumps up.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:15:50 AM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

I don't follow the NBA much, partly because at the start of the season you know which 2-3 teams will be in the championship. Rarely is there any surprise team that jumps up.

Pelicans and Pacers seem to be trying. It'll be fun to watch if either does.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
Thanked by
matt2499
April 22nd, 2018 at 4:36:56 PM permalink
Who is Everyones Team?

NBA - Spurs
MLB - Cardinals
NFL - Buccaneers
NHL - Golden Knights/Lightning
Soccer - Manchester United
NCAA- Florida Gators
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:02:03 PM permalink
NBA- lapsed Nets fan, not much interest.
MLB- The New York Yankees.
NFL- NY Football Giants, but plan on switching at least partially to the Raiders when my season tickets come through.
NHL- lapsed Islander fan who has jumped on the Knights bandwagon.
NCAA Football- Bama
NCAA hoops- St Johns
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GlenG
GlenG
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:08:00 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

NBA- lapsed Nets fan, not much interest.
MLB- The New York Yankees.
NFL- NY Football Giants, but plan on switching at least partially to the Raiders when my season tickets come through.
NHL- lapsed Islander fan who has jumped on the Knights bandwagon.
NCAA Football- Bama
NCAA hoops- St Johns

Its rough to be an Islanders fan these days. Maybe Tavares will be a Golden Knight next year.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
GlenG
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:14:07 PM permalink
I attended the very first Islander game, as well as their first game in Brooklyn. My nephew works for their Junior Hockey program, as well.
It's been a long tough slog the last couple of decades, but I still have a Drive For Five sweatshirt. Not many fans can say their team won four straight Stanley Cups.
Those memories will last forever.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:31:57 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I attended the very first Islander game, as well as their first game in Brooklyn. My nephew works for their Junior Hockey program, as well.
It's been a long tough slog the last couple of decades, but I still have a Drive For Five sweatshirt. Not many fans can say their team won four straight Stanley Cups.
Those memories will last forever.

Billy knows I attended every home Islander Playoff game their first Stanley Cup winning year. Alas I'm now a Sabres fan. We are the first team in NHL history to finish 31st!
billryan
billryan
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:48:02 PM permalink
Funny story about that first Cup. I was over my Moms house to pick her up to take her to dinner with some of her brothers and Sisters. Got there early to watch the game at her house, by myself. It was an afternoon game and normally we'd have had plenty of time between the end of the game and dinner. Islanders were up by two goals(IIRC) late in the third when my Mom comes down and wants to leave. She's worried about hitting traffic coming from the game. I tell her I'm going nowhere until the game is over and it isn't subject to discussion. She goes somewhere and comes back just as Philly tied the game up. Then we have to sit in between periods and wait for overtime.
Then this happened and it was all worthwhile. You'll notice that the Islanders beat Philly for the Cup. None of the East Champ vs West Champ they started a few years later.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bobby+nystrom+stanley+cup+winning+goal&view=detail&mid=1339F8008EF99CC525101339F8008EF99CC52510&FORM=VIRE

Much later, we are having dinner when the place breaks out in applause as General Manager Bill Torrey and Coach Al Arbor and their families come in to eat.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:38:40 PM permalink
Quote: GlenG

Who is Everyones Team?

NBA - Spurs
MLB - Cardinals
NFL - Buccaneers
NHL - Golden Knights/Lightning
Soccer - Manchester United
NCAA- Florida Gators

Wow, that is a very diverse list. Very unusual.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:41:20 PM permalink
NFL Vikings
MLB Twins
NBA Warriors
NHL Jets (kinda - mostly ignorant )
NASCAR my guys all retired
Golf McElroy, Rose, Couples
NCAA b ball Creighton, UNC, Duke
NCAA fball Seminoles
Soccer US Women.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:59:30 PM permalink
NFL Patriots
NHL grew up rooting for the Bruins because my dad but I love my Jets
MLB Red Sox
NBA Bulls (90’s kid) Dad couldn’t get me to root for the Celtics
Soccer sucks
NCAA basketball Duke
NCAA football Notre Dame
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
GlenG
GlenG
April 22nd, 2018 at 7:04:50 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Wow, that is a very diverse list. Very unusual.

I'm no bandwagoner, theres a reason for them all lol.

12 years in Tampa(Born there) Bucs and Lightning and Florida Gators (Manchester United same owners as Buccaneers so followed them by association)

When I was 12, before I moved to St. Louis, we were gonna move to San Antonio. While we were house / school shopping my dad took me to a Spurs Game.

Ended up moving to St. Louis, only baseball I followed was Anti-Yankees, so easy to be a Cardinals Fan..there is a lot of history for them.

Now I live in Vegas, Golden Knights are a great story, and hockey is awesome.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 22nd, 2018 at 10:18:19 PM permalink
The first inning of today's Giants @Angels game had the longest single pitcher/hitter at-bat in baseball history. As in all of big-britches baseball forever. Spoiler: the eventual result was a fly ball out to right field. And one hard used starting pitcher.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/988204661281902592
Quote: @darrenrovell

$83,241: Equivalent TV ad time for @thecoffeebean for being behind home plate for Brandon Belt’s longest at bat in MLB history, according to @ApexMGAnalytics. Game was broadcast on Fox Sports West & NBC Bay Area.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/988201238494838784

$133.28: What Brandon Belt cost the Angels by fouling off 16 balls in one at bat. Home teams pay a wholesale rate of about $8.33 per ball.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/988179633530171393

Following @darrenrovell
Darren Rovell Retweeted Jesse Foster
Longest AB in MLB history today...sped up for your convenience.

Quote: @Jesse__Foster

Here are all 21-pitches Brandon Belt saw in a single plate appearance in all its glory

Or, the real-time YouTube which is NOT sped up for your convenience (about 14 minutes):

Last edited by: DrawingDead on Apr 22, 2018
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
GlenG
April 22nd, 2018 at 10:27:59 PM permalink
Quote: GlenG

Who is Everyones Team?

And that ends the mattter. Because 1968. Bob Gibson.

So no other "sports" and "teams" are ever necessary. Next question.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
GlenG
GlenG
April 22nd, 2018 at 10:59:40 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

You're not wrong
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
GlenG
April 23rd, 2018 at 12:59:07 AM permalink
Alabama football. Lived there till age ten.
Chicago bears nfl. As a child with no local team, i was indoctrinated by a family friend who bought me bears stuff.

Moved to LA

Lakers. Saw showtime in person many times.

Baseball is my favorite but no team. I dumped the dodgers. They cut security to save money in spite of a gang problem and a guy almost died. How can you support that?

More people should dump teams that make a conscious effort to screw fans.

51s!

VGK.

Also root for Detroit teams. My family is from there.

I'm not passionate as a fan though. I was a kid but now I see it as just entertainment. And gambling opportunities obv.
GlenG
GlenG
April 23rd, 2018 at 4:52:58 AM permalink
If you guys like some pretty good and interesting sports related videos, check out this youtube series called "Pretty Good" and "Chart Party"

Pretty Good This one is about "Pretty Good" Sports stories. The Lonnie Smith story is my favorite, such a crazy career he had!

Also Koo Dae-Sung one, epic

Chart Party This one focuses more on crazy statistics and infographics.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 23rd, 2018 at 7:25:00 AM permalink
NFL: Eagles (currently)
NBA: Warriors
MLB: Mets, Yankees
Tennis: Federer, Nadal
NCAA: Tennessee Volunteers
Poker: Daniel Negreanu

The real question is: Who do you dislike? Who do you root against?

NCAA: Alabama, Florida
NFL: Patriots
Olympics: Russia
NBA: Lakers
Tennis: Serena Williams
Poker: Justin Bonomo
NASCAR: Everyone
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
smoothgrh
April 23rd, 2018 at 10:12:04 AM permalink

Bob Gibson was from Omaha, and retired there. He opened a bar and grill next to Creighton while I was a student. We used to go in there often, met him several times.A very humble and practical guy. Very enjoyable restaurant, too. Super-clean and open secor, good food, priced for budget customers.

Might even still be open, not sure. Make the pilgrimage, DD. It was right next to the med school.

Wiki: ...and started "Gibson's Spirits and Sustenance" restaurant, sometimes working twelve-hour days as owner/operator.[86]
Keeneone
Keeneone
April 23rd, 2018 at 10:55:22 AM permalink

Bob Gibson is obviously one of the best (if not the best). And the Redbirds are great with their 11 Championships. But when it comes to baseball there is only one team worth cheering for (or against for that matter):
Keeneone
Keeneone
August 10th, 2018 at 7:18:54 PM permalink
Tecate has an instant win/sweepstakes to get a free ppv code for this upcoming Las Vegas fight:

Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin 2
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2018 | HBO PAY-PER-VIEW

http://sweeps.tecatebeerusa.com/#/entry
If you are interested, you can just use the entry link. You can also use text to enter (look in the rules).
One entry per person/per day. I have already won one. GLTA
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
August 10th, 2018 at 10:58:15 PM permalink
BOSTON REDSOX
boston bruins
green bay packers
brooklin redmen
Belmont abbey college crusaders (lacrosse)
get second you pig
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 11th, 2018 at 1:34:15 AM permalink
very interesting CFL game (to me) Saturday
Montreal Alouettes vs. Ottowa Redblacks

Johnny Manziel is starting for Montreal and is attempting a comeback.

I'm pulling for him. He played the fool for a long time but I'm all for 2nd chances.

He was a truly great college player.

Many might doubt his skills are right for the NFL as many doubted Tebow.

that's okay. I'd still like to see Johnny do what he is capable of doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/sports/johnny-manziel-montreal-cfl.html
Please don't feed the trolls
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 11th, 2018 at 8:55:12 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

very interesting CFL game (to me) Saturday
Montreal Alouettes vs. Ottowa Redblacks

Johnny Manziel is starting for Montreal and is attempting a comeback.

I'm pulling for him. He played the fool for a long time but I'm all for 2nd chances.

He was a truly great college player.

Many might doubt his skills are right for the NFL as many doubted Tebow.

that's okay. I'd still like to see Johnny do what he is capable of doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/sports/johnny-manziel-montreal-cfl.html

Let's hope he showed less than what he is capable of last week against the Hamilton Tiger Cats when this was his stat line:

11/20, 104 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

Which led to his benching. Of course, his replacement went 1/5, 3 Yards, 0-0, but at least he didn't throw any Picks...I guess.

The Alouettes are 1-6 and have been outscored 242-103 (-139, -19.86 PPG)

Even ignoring last week's 50-11 massacre, they entered the week 1-5 and outscored 192-92 (-100, -16.67 PPG)

I'm just saying not to get your hopes up too high. When your entire season is in the toilet anyway, you might as well try to grab some headlines and generate some fan interest.

Last season, it was determined that Manziel would not qualify to play in the CFL during the regular season. In December of 2017, it was decided that he met the criteria to be allowed in the league. The same Hamilton Tiger Cats that whipped Montreal 50-11 last week made Manziel an offer that the latter's agent considered, "Unfair," saying his client should be worth more along the lines of $500,000-$550,000 per year, despite not being on a professional football team since March 2016.

The Tiger Cats and Manziel agreed to a two-year deal in May. Manziel would ride the bench as Jeremiah Masoli's understudy for the first six games of the season prior to being traded to Montreal. Masoli would go 17/26 for 300 Yards, 2 TD's and 2 INT's in that same game against Manziel.

For his part, Masoli (undrafted) was never a part of any NFL regular season roster, despite having been signed to the 49ers at one point.

All signs point to Manziel is going to positively suck, but maybe he'll surprise us.

Injured are:

Vernon Adams Jr. (Six Weeks)
Matt Shiltz (One Week Injury List)
Jeff Matthews (Out 4-6 Weeks as of July 17)

In the meantime, Manziel's backup, Drew Willy has been injury-plagued all season.

Basically, you just have a case of healthy garbage replacing injured garbage on a garbage team.

Anyway, I hope he does well. At least well-enough to stick around on the team for the remainder of this season. He has a $122,000 base contract that is otherwise incentive laden, but it should be pretty easy to keep him from hitting the big incentives...especially if the team is in the toilet, anyway. Taking half of his team's snaps would effectively double his salary, but with eighteen regular season games and six of them in the books before he took one snap, he would effectively have to start and play through roughly 8.5 (he was yanked at halftime) of eleven remaining games. Really easy just to sit him instead of paying that incentive, even if he's doing well.

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed, but we can hope for the best for Johnny Football.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 6:25:58 PM permalink
Manziel is 11/17 for 128 Yards and 0 TD, 0 INT as the Alouettes lead the RedBlacks 9-5 going into the half.

Competent game, thus far.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 8:13:23 PM permalink
Manziel finished 16/26 for 168 Yards, 0 TD, 0 INT.

At best, serviceable. That's if we're being really generous.

He was (kind of) responsible for a Touchdown. Manziel had a 17 yard run that he fumbled into the endzone, but was recovered by a teammate, to put the Alouettes up 16-11, the PAT would make it 17-11.

Two field goals and a TD later, and the Redblacks would lead 24-17 with 0:18 to go coming off of the strong performance of Redblack QB Trevor Harris (44/54, 487 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT). Manziel would throw a 1 yard dump off pass to William Stanback, who took it another fifteen yards prior to being brought down.

And, that's it so far. Manziel has six quarters of CFL Football under his belt and is:

27/46, 272 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INT good for a 36.8 Passer Rating so far.

Again, though, he was at least semi-competent this game.

In a surprising move, the Roughriders released WR Duron Carter (he got to look at an NFL practice field once) after playing him on defense most recently as he has had an injury-prone season. Maybe the Alouettes will pick him up.

The Alouettes (1-7) will take on the Edmonton Eskimos one week from tonight, it remains to be seen who Montreal expects to start that game...I think one of their other quarterbacks might be healthy by then.

Good game, overall, speaking for both teams. Entertaining.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
Mission146
August 12th, 2018 at 12:01:54 AM permalink
What's worse than a horrible team is a horrible team that has a close game until the very end. I had Alouettes ML and actually watched a stream of this game during the 4th quarter, when I could have been watching the Chargers vs Cardinals preseason!
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
August 12th, 2018 at 12:56:47 AM permalink
Johnny was not great but he was much improved. 16 of 26 completed for 168 yards - no TDs and no picks.

He also had a couple of nice runs and totaled 36 yards running.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 14th, 2018 at 4:08:31 AM permalink
lots of confusion about NFL's new rules re helmet hitting. just about a sure thing to cause games to be won or lost based on a referee's judgement call.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-helmet-rule-confusing-disaster-2018-8
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
August 14th, 2018 at 8:17:49 AM permalink

lots of confusion about NFL's new rules re helmet hitting. just about a sure thing to cause games to be won or lost based on a referee's judgement call.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-helmet-rule-confusing-disaster-2018-8

Yes, this rule makes me hesitate about betting on the NFL, until we can get some data on which crews enforce this rule to which level. It's like how we have data on which ref crews flag PI the most as well
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 14th, 2018 at 1:00:52 PM permalink
Sounds to me like the effect on outcomes would be pretty random.
DRich
DRich
August 14th, 2018 at 1:06:51 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I would think it might influence the Over. Lots of fifteen yard penalties should lead to more scoring.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 14th, 2018 at 1:43:21 PM permalink

don't think it's going to be random. I think it's going to adversely affect those teams whose main strength is a strong defense.

one of the reasons their defense is strong is because they are hard hitters. almost always more on defense than offense.

I think the teams with very strong defenses will be penalized more.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 17th, 2018 at 1:47:39 AM permalink
I expect the Eagles as last year's SB champs to be overbet early in the season and anybody who wants to bet on them will have to give up a lot of points. betting against them and getting points might be a good deal
Mission146
Mission146
August 17th, 2018 at 3:28:28 AM permalink
Manziel will not start for the Alouettes today as he is on concussion protocol following last week’s hit that leveled him causing him to fumble in the end zone. (recovered by the Alouettes for a touchdown)

As of yesterday, he’d not been cleared to play and he is questionable for the Alouettes’ home game against Toronto next week.
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
August 17th, 2018 at 3:35:44 AM permalink

don't think it's going to be random. I think it's going to adversely affect those teams whose main strength is a strong defense.

one of the reasons their defense is strong is because they are hard hitters. almost always more on defense than offense.

I think the teams with very strong defenses will be penalized more.

I think in the NFL they all hit hard, I'd say equally "as hard". It's very violent when you see it up close as I have only twice...
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 18th, 2018 at 2:08:53 AM permalink
pitcher Jose Urena deliberately hit (most think) Braves batter Ronald Acuna, an amazing rookie who was closing in on a home run record for a leadoff batter in consecutive games. bench clearing brawl ensued after this happened.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 18th, 2018 at 2:54:02 AM permalink
Bruh you can at least post a video that doesn't suck....lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWm-WBSqN8

Interesting, though, of course. That's one thing I'm not super fond of in baseball is you have a guy throwing a baseball towards and sometimes at you....at 95+ MPH. Just odd how it's just seen as part of the game -- you hit my guy, I'll hit yours...and that's just "normal". Not saying that's what happened here. And of course, like in this situation, he's getting intentionally hit because he's good. Not because he's an a***hole player, did something dirty, etc. If anything, just intentionally walk the guy and be done with it, or just pitch inside and deal with it.

It doesn't take much for the ball to slip and instead of it going towards the torso, it goes a little high and hits the guy on the head....now you're going to have some SERIOUS problems.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 18th, 2018 at 4:45:26 AM permalink
your signature dude - it must have been a nice jumping jack flash on the day you wrote that - (:}

"It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake. If the way is hazy. You gotta do the cookin' by the book. You know you can't be lazy. Never use a messy recipe. The cake will end up crazy. If you do the cookin' by the book. Then you'll have a... Break it down! Lemme see you bake it up! Drop that down low and pick that up. Break it down! Lemme see you bake it up! Drop that down low and pick that up Now back that Hey! Now back that. Hey! Now bake that. Hey! Now bake that. Hey! It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake (WHAT!) If the way is hazy (OKAY!) You gotta do the cookin' by the book, (WHAT!) You know you can't be lazy (YEAH!) Never use a messy recipe, (WHAT!) The cake will end up crazy (OKAY!) If you do the cookin' by the book, (YEEAAHHHH!) Then you'll have a...cake! Rub that, it's yours! Grab this, it's yours! Rub that, it's yours! Grab this, it's yours! Now turn around, put that on. Grind, make it get a little bigger! Now turn around, put that on. Grind, make it get a little bigger! You gotta do the cookin' by the book! HEY!"

note to all - at first glance it might seem like a TLDR thing but believe me - you don't want to miss a word of it. it could change your life.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 18, 2018
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
RS
August 18th, 2018 at 5:59:00 AM permalink

your signature dude - it must have been a nice jumping jack flash on the day you wrote that - (:}

"It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake. If the way is hazy. You gotta do the cookin' by the book. You know you can't be lazy. Never use a messy recipe. The cake will end up crazy. If you do the cookin' by the book. Then you'll have a... Break it down! Lemme see you bake it up! Drop that down low and pick that up. Break it down! Lemme see you bake it up! Drop that down low and pick that up Now back that Hey! Now back that. Hey! Now bake that. Hey! Now bake that. Hey! It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake (WHAT!) If the way is hazy (OKAY!) You gotta do the cookin' by the book, (WHAT!) You know you can't be lazy (YEAH!) Never use a messy recipe, (WHAT!) The cake will end up crazy (OKAY!) If you do the cookin' by the book, (YEEAAHHHH!) Then you'll have a...cake! Rub that, it's yours! Grab this, it's yours! Rub that, it's yours! Grab this, it's yours! Now turn around, put that on. Grind, make it get a little bigger! Now turn around, put that on. Grind, make it get a little bigger! You gotta do the cookin' by the book! HEY!"

note to all - at first glance it might seem like a TLDR thing but believe me - you don't want to miss a word of it. it could change your life.

Google says it’s a Lazy Town song.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 18th, 2018 at 6:23:42 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Google says it’s a Lazy Town song.

It is, but remix version with lil jon. It may or may not be safe for work.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
August 21st, 2018 at 8:27:36 AM permalink
kind of interesting to me. kept baseball stats you may not know (anyway I didn't know until recently)

for batters:

SLG - slugging % - no. of total bases divided by no. of at bats - you probably know that one
OBP - on base % - times on base divided by plate appearances
OPS - the sum of a players' on base % and slugging average
OPS+ - takes a player's on-base plus slugging percentage and normalizes the number across the entire league. It accounts for external factors like ballparks. It then adjusts so a score of 100 is league average, and 150 is 50 percent better than the league average.
TB - is the number of bases a player has gained with hits. It is a weighted sum for which the weight value is 1 for a single, 2 for a double, 3 for a triple and 4 for a home run.
GDP - double plays grounded into
SH - sacrifice hits (bunts)
SF - sacrifice flies
IBB - intentional base on balls

for pitchers:

ERA - everybody knows that one - earned run average
ERA+ - ERA adjusted to consider the players' ballpark
BK - balks
WHIP - walks and hits per innings pitched
WP - wild pitches
FIP - fielding independent pitching - Fielding Independent Pitching converts a pitcher's three true outcomes into an earned run average-like number. The formula is ...........(13*HR+3*(HBP+BB)-2*K)/IP, plus a constant (usually around 3.2) to put it on the same scale as earned run average. to be honest I don't quite get this one
So/W - strikeouts divided by walks
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 7th, 2018 at 1:43:58 AM permalink
Darren Sproles - you don't hear the media sing his song much
but what a ballplayer this little guy is - only 5'6"

He joined the New Orleans Saints in free agency before the 2011 season, and broke the NFL record for most single-season all-purpose yardage the same year, with 2,696 yards. Sproles is the first player in NFL history with 2,200+ all purpose yards in 4 different seasons (2008–2011). Sproles is currently ranked 8th in career all-purpose yards in NFL history (19,020 yards).

35 year old now and still going.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
September 7th, 2018 at 11:52:01 AM permalink
Sproles is one of my favorite players but I didn't realize he was that high on the list.

My GOAT fantasy team name is The Glory Sproles.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 15th, 2018 at 1:50:15 AM permalink
pretty surprising. the Seahawks have signed linebacker Mychal Kendricks who has pleaded guilty to insider trading and is facing prison time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/14/seahawks-set-to-sign-linebacker-facing-up-to-25-years-in-prison-for-insider-trading/?utm_term=.f4138b2c69cb
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 15, 2018
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
RonC
September 16th, 2018 at 9:39:37 AM permalink
pretty cool. never seen this before. a 𝒇𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒓 𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉 trick play run back for a touchdown by North Texas. His body language said fair catch. But he never actually made the signal. so he could legally run it back.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
September 17th, 2018 at 12:07:03 AM permalink
I thought the Floyd/manny 2 talk was smoke but it seems like it might happen.

Could be the first time I've ever bet against Floyd. He hasn't fought a professional opponent on years, while Manny still looks pretty solid.
DRich
DRich
September 17th, 2018 at 6:17:57 AM permalink

I thought the Floyd/manny 2 talk was smoke but it seems like it might happen.

Could be the first time I've ever bet against Floyd. He hasn't fought a professional opponent on years, while Manny still looks pretty solid.

I think I am turning into a conspiracy theorist. If Floyd loses it would guarantee a rematch which would be another huge paycheck. Bet Manny.
  • Jump to: