9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
February 21st, 2019 at 3:54:50 AM permalink
Zion was injured last night when his Nike shoe blew apart probably contributing to the injury
Nike is taking a lot of heat
this is really a freaky thing - I've never heard of anything like this before
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/21/nike-takes-beating-after-zion-williamsons-shoe-explodes/?utm_term=.5e25d1e90b85

Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2019 at 11:11:40 AM permalink
on another forum a poster made an NBA pick on an under the first day back from the All Star game - saying he hoped the shooters would be cold after the break

except for the ones who were All Stars they hadn't played in a real game for almost a week

it sounded to me like a good angle - like something like that might not be totally factored into the odds - I never thought of that angle before

so, anyway I checked and on the first day back which is 2-21:

it doesn't prove anything but on this day the unders went 5-1

not only that but every single under that won won by double digits - and 2 of them won by about 20 points
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 26th, 2019 at 6:27:03 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

it doesn't prove anything but on this day the unders went 5-1

not only that but every single under that won won by double digits - and 2 of them won by about 20 points

I would guess that blowouts tend to be correlated with the under.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 28th, 2019 at 4:24:26 AM permalink
Johnny Manziel was barred from Canadian Football League
the article doesn't specify why but probably because he still wants to party, party, party and it showed up in his urinalysis
he's hoping for yet another chance in the XFL which debuts next February

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/sports/football/johnny-manziel-cfl-.html
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
March 2nd, 2019 at 11:11:24 PM permalink
Chicago Blackhawks currently on a 21-1 streak of OVERS cashing in their games.

Also they are 49-15 to the over this season on the first period 1.5 goal O/U
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 3rd, 2019 at 1:12:28 AM permalink
who's the GOAT? - LBJ or MJ

maybe the Greek Freak is better than both of them

this season he has about the same p.p.g. as LBJ, way more rebounds per game, a couple less assists per game, and way, way more blocked shots
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 10th, 2019 at 1:42:13 AM permalink
Gonzaga, 29-2, is now ranked #1 in the AP NCAAB standings
it's truly amazing to me that in recent years they have come to be a power in college basketball
until that happened I had never even heard of them - I only knew of Gonzaga high school near me
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
gordonm888
March 10th, 2019 at 4:33:05 AM permalink

it's truly amazing to me that in recent years they have come to be a power in college basketball
until that happened I had never even heard of them - I only knew of Gonzaga high school near me

Honestly, it's not recent. They've been good for at least 20 years. They just haven't gotten the attention people like Duke or UNC or Kentucky get.

The link below shows how many times (weeks) in the last 20 years they've been ranked in the top 25. It's about 250 times.

Before that, I lived in Washington State for 8 years in the 80s and 90s. They were good then, too.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/gonzaga/polls.html
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 10th, 2019 at 5:37:07 AM permalink
Sigh.. Steelers traded brown to oakland/vegas for a 3rd and 5th. They are still taking a massive cap hit because of signing bonus. They are only saving 1.7 mil or something like that by trading him. Would have preferred to see him rot on the bench instead of this stupid trade.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
michael99000
michael99000
March 10th, 2019 at 11:41:43 AM permalink

The PAC 10 has been an awful conference recently , even worse than usual this year. This has made recruiting the big time west coast players much better for Mark Few. The zags have been able to scoop up some players who might have otherwise gone to schools like UCLA or Arizona
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 10th, 2019 at 12:55:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Honestly, it's not recent. They've been good for at least 20 years. They just haven't gotten the attention people like Duke or UNC or Kentucky get.

The link below shows how many times (weeks) in the last 20 years they've been ranked in the top 25. It's about 250 times.

Before that, I lived in Washington State for 8 years in the 80s and 90s. They were good then, too.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/gonzaga/polls.html

It has to be related to the unusual name and so few people ever hearing of the school in general. For a decade, they were on the top 16 bubble and every year they were treated like upstarts. I didn't know they were in Washington, I just knew they were out west somewhere.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 10th, 2019 at 4:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

WTF is Antonio Brown's problem. He seemed to be somewhat normal his first few years.

The problem is he has played the Steelers like a fiddle. The Steelers get peanuts (3rd and 5th), and get a $22 million cap hit this year for him NOT to play for them! He has already cashed his large signing bonus from the Steelers, and he must have gotten another large signing bonus from the Raiders! The problem is that Brown used the stupid signing bonus rules as a way for him to make more money than if he had just played out his contract with the Steelers.
I'll bet $1 that the Browns have as many or more wins than the Steelers this year.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
March 10th, 2019 at 6:16:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I'll bet $1 that the Browns have as many or more wins than the Steelers this year.

Wager accepted. Please confirm.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
GWAE
GWAE
March 10th, 2019 at 6:26:54 PM permalink

The problem is he has played the Steelers like a fiddle. The Steelers get peanuts (3rd and 5th), and get a $22 million cap hit this year for him NOT to play for them! He has already cashed his large signing bonus from the Steelers, and he must have gotten another large signing bonus from the Raiders! The problem is that Brown used the stupid signing bonus rules as a way for him to make more money than if he had just played out his contract with the Steelers.

I kinda agree with you. We have betting in PA now. I will be betting the under for wins. May be Roethlisbergers first losing season.

Reports are that he is getting another 20 mil in signing bonus from the raiders. He really did snap with his fame. Between driving over 100 on a business road to throwing furniture out his apartment on a high floor, to pushing his baby mama all in under a year.

Only positive in this is that we should have some serious good reports when he plays in Vegas.

I still wish they would have just pushed back and said F U and let him stay on team and bench him. I think the cap hit would be less if he was sitting on the bench.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
michael99000
michael99000
March 10th, 2019 at 8:07:32 PM permalink
Suns go into golden state as a 17 point road dog and win outright. They’ve also beaten Milwaukee recently.

NBA has gotten very unpredictable recently
kgb92
kgb92
  • Threads: 3
March 10th, 2019 at 8:23:55 PM permalink
How much do you make betting blind against the Lakers this season?
michael99000
michael99000
Thanked by
kgb92
March 11th, 2019 at 12:21:09 AM permalink
Quote: kgb92

How much do you make betting blind against the Lakers this season?

They are 26-38-2 this season ATS.

so a $100/game bettor would be up about $940 betting at -110 juice each game

By the way, there is only one team worse than the Lakers this season ATS. And that’s the golden state warriors. Currently 26-39-1
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
March 21st, 2019 at 3:01:43 AM permalink
remember Manute Bol the 7'6" shot blocker for the Wizards in the 80s and 90s?
Manute was one dimensional and pretty awkward

well, he has a 7'3" son, Bol Bol, who is much better than his dad
he's very agile and is averaging 21 p.p.g. as a freshman for the Oregon Ducks
he even shoots 3 pointers at a clip of 52%

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 25th, 2019 at 2:45:02 AM permalink
pretty good 60 minutes story on the tremendous increase in sports betting and how colleges view the risks

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sports-betting-the-basics-60-minutes/
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 27th, 2019 at 4:20:32 AM permalink
the NFL has decided to allow challenges to pass interference even if no flag is thrown.
I like this decision. I just wish the refs could make their final determination a lot quicker.
they're way too slow - so boring waiting for them

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-agrees-to-allow-challenges-on-pass-interference-plays-whether-or-not-a-flag-is-thrown
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
March 27th, 2019 at 6:17:27 AM permalink

remember Manute Bol the 7'6" shot blocker for the Wizards in the 80s and 90s?
Manute was one dimensional and pretty awkward

well, he has a 7'3" son, Bol Bol, who is much better than his dad
he's very agile and is averaging 21 p.p.g. as a freshman for the Oregon Ducks
he even shoots 3 pointers at a clip of 52%

For the record, he was hurt 9 games in, and hasn't played since middle of December. Those stats were accrued out of conference against many mid major squads like Texas Southern, Portland State, Eastern Washington, etc....
GWAE
GWAE
March 27th, 2019 at 6:34:14 AM permalink

the NFL has decided to allow challenges to pass interference even if no flag is thrown.
I like this decision. I just wish the refs could make their final determination a lot quicker.
they're way too slow - so boring waiting for them

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-agrees-to-allow-challenges-on-pass-interference-plays-whether-or-not-a-flag-is-thrown

originally they were talking about having it challenged only when there was a flag. That was making no sense to me.

I am all for certain penalties being called from the booth. I said they should have a 3 person team. On all plays they hit a button, penalty or no penalty. If there are 2 that push penalty then there is a flag thrown. It would all have to be done immediately just like it would be on the field. Seems to me that is a simple solution.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 27th, 2019 at 8:38:32 AM permalink

originally they were talking about having it challenged only when there was a flag. That was making no sense to me.

I am all for certain penalties being called from the booth. I said they should have a 3 person team. On all plays they hit a button, penalty or no penalty. If there are 2 that push penalty then there is a flag thrown. It would all have to be done immediately just like it would be on the field. Seems to me that is a simple solution.

I'm sure this is a specific response to the non-call.that decided the Saints playoff game, but I'm not sure I'm in favor of it. Seems like it will lead to a lot of lobbying and more delays for replays. I guess the rule only allowing 3 challenges per game might put the brakes on that, but I can't think of a game I saw that didn't have 6-8 non-calls (IMO of course). So games already over 3.5 hours will stretch routinely to 4 or more. Ugh.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 31st, 2019 at 1:49:41 AM permalink
here comes Texas Tech into the final 4 - first time ever - they upset Gonzaga
pretty cool to see the chalk get knocked out
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 31st, 2019 at 8:31:43 AM permalink
Two of the best NCAA tournament games ever played last night, back to back. Unfortunately, both teams I wanted to win, lost.

But Gonzaga got a bit robbed in the last couple minutes. The guy who recovered the rebound while out of bounds. Missed call. And the inadvertent contact turned into a flagrant 1 was overkill. Between them, those calls decided the game, especially the first one. And without the first wrong call, the second situation doesn't happen.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 31st, 2019 at 8:46:03 AM permalink

But Gonzaga got a bit robbed in the last couple minutes.

I argue with folks all the time about that type of thing--yes there may have been bad calls at the end of the game but reality is that there are some missed all game long that also could have made the ending look different.

The guy who recovered the rebound while out of bounds. Missed call.

Yes, they were all looking somewhere else and missed it.

And the inadvertent contact turned into a flagrant 1 was overkill. Between them, those calls decided the game, especially the first one. And without the first wrong call, the second situation doesn't happen.

"By rule, if he has possession of the ball and it does not break the plane, thus putting the ball on the inside of the court, and it is contacted, that is a technical foul."

--Gene Steratore

My position is that there will always be some issues with officiating; there are no perfect human beings. You have to do enough to win the game in spite of any missed calls. They are part of the game. The officials wish they could be perfect...they want to do well...but they are human.

I was happy with one result (Texas Tech) and was hoping the other game would go the other way...
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 31st, 2019 at 8:57:30 AM permalink

But Gonzaga got a bit robbed in the last couple minutes. The guy who recovered the rebound while out of bounds. Missed call. And the inadvertent contact turned into a flagrant 1 was overkill.

What would you have had them call on the flagrant 1, just pretend it didn’t happen? It was blatantly obvious and clearly impacted the inbounders ability to pass, there is not a regular foul that falls under by definition contact with an inbounder is flagrant, and it was directly in front of officials.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 31st, 2019 at 9:34:18 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

What would you have had them call on the flagrant 1, just pretend it didn’t happen? It was blatantly obvious and clearly impacted the inbounders ability to pass, there is not a regular foul that falls under by definition contact with an inbounder is flagrant, and it was directly in front of officials.

The commentators seemed to think there was some discretion in what they called. (I don't claim to be an expert.) Either a simple technical foul, which I thought would be 1 shot from the in bounding player, or a flagrant 1, which was 2 shots from the team's choice of shooter. They went with the harsher penalty in a 1 point game, with incidental contact that didn't change possession or take any time.off the clock. They had to review it to see whether he even touched the player, rather than the ball (or nothing), and whether the inbounder broke the plane of the inbounds. So it seemed to be overkill to me.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 31st, 2019 at 10:06:48 AM permalink
I disagree most of the time when the media or its fans say "we were robbed"
usually because of a bad call at the end of the game

there were probably bad calls that went against their opponents at other points in the game

but the main thing is if you lost and there was a bad call at the end of the game that people are saying caused it:

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐝 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦

by beating I mean being far enough ahead at the end so that one call at the end, which basically is a matter of luck cannot decide the game

but yes, I understand how it can be really frustrating
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
March 31st, 2019 at 10:23:43 AM permalink

So games already over 3.5 hours will stretch routinely to 4 or more. Ugh.

Google says average NFL game is 3.2 hours. Length of a game is never the problem in sports. The problem is the pacing of the game, where there is too much downtime without action or tension. Video review could be a lot better if it was all done by an official off the field instead of having one of the on-the-field refs stick their head under the hood. The play could already be under review before a challenge flag is even thrown.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 31st, 2019 at 10:31:25 AM permalink

The commentators seemed to think there was some discretion in what they called. (I don't claim to be an expert.) Either a simple technical foul, which I thought would be 1 shot from the in bounding player, or a flagrant 1, which was 2 shots from the team's choice of shooter. They went with the harsher penalty in a 1 point game, with incidental contact that didn't change possession or take any time.off the clock. They had to review it to see whether he even touched the player, rather than the ball (or nothing), and whether the inbounder broke the plane of the inbounds. So it seemed to be overkill to me.

According to the NCAA men's basketball rule book, "contact with a player making a throw-in" is an automatic Flagrant 1. In other words, it's two shots and the ball if he touched the player, or one and the ball if he touched just the ball; that's probably why they reviewed it (and determining whether or not a Flagrant 1 occurred is something that can be reviewed). There is no "discretion" in the decision.

Note that, up through the 2015 season, it was always two free throws and the ball, even if only the ball was touched and not the player.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 31st, 2019 at 1:52:29 PM permalink
𝑾𝑶𝑶𝑯𝑶𝑶!!!

Auburn just upset Kentucky
first time in the final 4 for them too
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 31st, 2019 at 3:05:58 PM permalink
3 1/2 great games so far this weekend. Mich St over Duke by 4 at the half.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 31st, 2019 at 4:11:10 PM permalink

3 1/2 great games so far this weekend. Mich St over Duke by 4 at the half.

Yes! Duke goes down. Ive been soooo sick of hearing about Duke, Zion, and Jay Bilas for at least three months now.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 31st, 2019 at 9:57:32 PM permalink

Yes! Duke goes down. Ive been soooo sick of hearing about Duke, Zion, and Jay Bilas for at least three months now.

Me too. I agree that Zion has an unusual combination of elite skills but Duke and the entire ACC has been over-rated all season.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2019 at 3:20:00 AM permalink
the totals for the 2 final 4 games are set very low - about 132.5 and about 131

in the last 10 games T.T. has gone over 132.5 total 7 times - Michigan 5 times

in the last 10 games Auburn has gone over 131 total 8 times - Virginia 5 times
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 7th, 2019 at 2:01:01 AM permalink
yes it really happened, this barroom brawler tough guy actually knocked Muhammad Ali down
I'm pretty sure Joe Frazier was the only other guy who ever knocked Ali down

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/nyregion/rocky-chuck-wepner-muhammad-ali.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=New%20York

djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 8th, 2019 at 3:07:21 PM permalink
Virginia -1 EV

lets get it
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 8th, 2019 at 3:21:41 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Virginia -1 EV

lets get it

I really like that side too. Sadly, I want to root for texas tech so I don't know if I will actually bet it. It is no fun to root against your own bet.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 8th, 2019 at 4:48:54 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Wager accepted. Please confirm.

Confirmed. I will let you remember we made this bet because I doubt I will!
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 5:08:55 PM permalink
I think it is amazing that Virginia loses to 16 last year and this year they will win it.

I will put this up there with sports are fixed.

911 NY wins
Katrina NO wins
16 loses to 1, then wins

Many more of those odities
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 8th, 2019 at 5:51:13 PM permalink

Confirmed. I will let you remember we made this bet because I doubt I will!

I have no memory of it right now even!! Don’t really want to re read last few pages to find out. -EV all around.

ETA: found it. I’m very unlikely to remember also. Vegas likes your side of it.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 10th, 2019 at 3:33:12 PM permalink
How about them Rays
White hot start
going for 10th win right now, 8-0, top of the 9nth. only 3 losses
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
GWAE
GWAE
April 10th, 2019 at 5:26:54 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

How about them Rays
White hot start
going for 10th win right now, 8-0, top of the 9nth. only 3 losses

I love seeing anyone except boston and yanks on top
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 10th, 2019 at 5:34:48 PM permalink

I love seeing anyone except boston and yanks on top

Mariners have the best record, who saw that coming :-)
I hope Tampa and Seattle can keep it up to make this a fun season
Got my fingers crossed
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 10th, 2019 at 7:46:16 PM permalink
On the flip side, how bout that Chris Davis? 0-49 dating back to last season a record, hit .168 last year with 16 home runs about 1/3 the HR’s of his peak seasons and has a guaranteed contract through 2022 with over 90 million yet to be paid. What a mess.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 10th, 2019 at 10:23:13 PM permalink

On the flip side, how bout that Chris Davis? 0-49 dating back to last season a record, hit .168 last year with 16 home runs about 1/3 the HR’s of his peak seasons and has a guaranteed contract through 2022 with over 90 million yet to be paid. What a mess.

I saw a funny joke today about him. Gonna ruin it because it needs a photo I don't have.

Baltimore is putting big pictures of Chris Davis on all their city buses - it will keep them from getting hit.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 10th, 2019 at 11:27:56 PM permalink
should I start hopping on the Mariners bandwagon or is it too early?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 11th, 2019 at 1:13:09 AM permalink
Padres at the top of the NL. Mariners, although top of the AL, are trash.

I'll let you know in a few weeks if I'm jumping on the Padres bandwagon, but it's certainly possible.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 11th, 2019 at 4:12:01 PM permalink
First Round TOR v BOS. There is nothing better than this time of year. Also, there is nothing worse than this time of year.

If thecesspit is lurking - Neenerneener =p
If buzz is socking we will find out in 3....2....1....
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
  • Jump to: