9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
August 26th, 2019 at 10:49:26 AM permalink
It's sort of funny to me that people have to spin all of these yarns. Even in the article I posted the researchers felt compelled to act as if it was some perplexing mystery as to why small, squishy people with lighter bones could absorb less punishment than bigger, more muscular people with heavy bones.

I'd say it's as simple as that. Women evolved for gathering (and making babies). That's why they have better smell, taste and vision.

Men evolved to hunt and defend and that's why we can take more of a beating.

Lastly, many of these games evolved as proxies for male functions such as combat. So it's not surprising that they are suited to male bodies.

In any case, I believe the researchers and their data. (It's not just this one article. You can find many). I'd never let a son play football because I wouldn't want him winding up with clinical depression or dementia. I have a rough acquaintance who was an Olympic athlete dealing with that stuff. Sounds terrible. This guy was obviously a physical specimen, he was a high paid wall street guy and he wound up fighting suicidal depression for years.

The data say that girls soccer is empirically worse than boys football. I wouldn't let a daughter play in the name of girl power.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 26th, 2019 at 10:54:24 AM permalink
In the late 1970s, Yankees were at the Angels and a brawl broke out by home plate. Several uniformed guys in helmets joined in and the announcers made a big deal about them not being needed and how ugly it could get. When the dust settled, it turned out a fan had jumped into the fray and that's what caused the cops to get involved. Phil Rizzuto was quite apologetic to them the next game.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 26th, 2019 at 11:09:04 AM permalink
Quote: Face

What the hangup? It's specifically DISallowed, based on the numerous suspensions and 5 figure fines.

I agree with you to an extent, but there has to be a line somewhere. What if the batter takes his bat with him to the mound & kneecaps the pitcher, crippling him for life? What if he brains him with it and puts him in a coma? Or worse? At some point, fines & suspensions won't be enough. Fortunately, we haven't gotten there, yet.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 26th, 2019 at 12:01:29 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I agree with you to an extent, but there has to be a line somewhere. What if the batter takes his bat with him to the mound & kneecaps the pitcher, crippling him for life? What if he brains him with it and puts him in a coma? Or worse? At some point, fines & suspensions won't be enough. Fortunately, we haven't gotten there, yet.

I would argue that in hockey it has. People have swung sticks like baseball bats.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
billryan
billryan
August 26th, 2019 at 12:12:52 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I would argue that in hockey it has. People have swung sticks like baseball bats.

Not in many years in the NHL.
There can be an on field incident during a fight that might rise to an arrest level. Luckily they haven't.
I have vague memories of Billy Martin and some players armed with bats rushing towards a crowd of fans . Ten cent beer night, maybe?
Last edited by: billryan on Aug 26, 2019
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Joeman
August 26th, 2019 at 1:42:19 PM permalink
When I heard of Luck's retirement, I immediately though of Robert Smith a cerebral running back with the Minnesota Vikings.

Wikipedia states: "Smith's finest year as a pro came in 2000 at age 28, leading the NFC in rushing with 1,521 yards; despite being at the peak of his career, he retired after the season."

His stated reason for retiring was that he wanted to walk away from the game while he still had his health.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
SOOPOO
August 26th, 2019 at 2:24:27 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

When I heard of Luck's retirement, I immediately though of Robert Smith a cerebral running back with the Minnesota Vikings.

Wikipedia states: "Smith's finest year as a pro came in 2000 at age 28, leading the NFC in rushing with 1,521 yards; despite being at the peak of his career, he retired after the season."

His stated reason for retiring was that he wanted to walk away from the game while he still had his health.

I look at it as "How many people out there would quit their jobs if they had $50 million in the bank?" I would, why shouldn't Mr. Luck.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
August 26th, 2019 at 2:28:02 PM permalink
I see the Colt's Superbowl line went from 12/1 to 60/1.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
DRich
DRich
August 26th, 2019 at 2:30:20 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I see the Colt's Superbowl line went from 12/1 to 60/1.

That is probably a dramatic overreaction.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 26th, 2019 at 4:13:11 PM permalink
Some doctors still advocate teaching boxing to youth.
Soccer? Lacrosse? Field Hockey? All can be injurious. Once I was at the ucla track and the coach brought out the Freshmen for their first timed run: The stupid coach was staring at his stop watch and calling out time signals while I seemed to be the only one paying attention to a Freshman girl who was lying there out cold after she finished her first run.
i'd say it was almost two minutes before the jerk stopped focusing on his watch.

Track is not known for injuries, but being unconscious should not be ignored.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 27th, 2019 at 3:24:49 AM permalink

I don't think it has anything to do with the learning how. If anything girls would learn it better since at the young age they actually pay attention opposed to boys who don't even know a coach is talking. My guess would be more on how the brain developed or how the skull is. I wonder if there is a difference there.

When I am talking about "learning to take a bump" I am not talking about coaching. I am talking about general life. Boys grow up playing rougher than girls. I have even seen where dads and uncles should roughouse play with their sons and nephews at a young age to get them used to this. Boys play "kill the man with the ball" in pickup games. Girls do not.

This eventually gets to the field of play.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 27th, 2019 at 4:07:38 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Meh. I think any generalization of that type is probably overstated at best.

I've had 3 concussions. None were in sport. Same with the broken scapula, and the shattered elbow.

One concussion was while dancing onstage, I was supposed to faint in the arms of the star. He then would toss me to his posse and they would revive me. It was fine in rehearsal, but opening night he let go early and dropped me on my head. Apparently it rang like a melon and could be heard over the orchestra. The posse had to drag me offstage by 2 legs and an arm. I'm told it got a laugh.

Another was pulling a full sheet of 3/4" ply off a high shelf by myself. It came down hard and heavy and I bonked myself.

The third was working an indoor/outdoor bar. At closing the big doors between the porch and inside had to be slammed to catch. I slammed the door and an 80 lb. speaker came off the wall onto my head, took me to the floor.

Only sports injuries I've had while playing were a jammed finger in 10th grade softball (the reason I remember it was, I showed it to the AAD and asked to have it treated, he said, nah, it's just jammed, grabbed it twisted, pulled, and broke it proving it wasn't broken. It's still deformed.)

And I tore my calf muscle playing doubles tennis in a corporation contest in my late 30s. Crutches for 6 weeks.

But I think it's a question of body type, too, including whether male or female, on injury-prone. So to that extent I agree. Women with long limbs and short bodies and not much body fat are better suited to running and jumping. Women with long torsos and broad shoulders (like me) should not do the running/jumping stuff. Bicycle, maybe, certainly swimming, tennis is ok.

I've never really had any major injuries.

I broke my thumb playing pop warner football, right before practice one day. That puppy snapped all the way back. My dumb*** was just like, "Oh yea, my thumb just hurts, no reason not to finish practice" so I finished practice. My ma took me to get x-rays after practice (Thursday) and for some reason I had to wait until like Wednesday of the following week to get a cast. That kinda sucked. But thankfully, all worked out, as I can now crack my thumb repeatedly over and over again. It also hurts when there's a sudden change in temperature which can be useful if no thermometers are around.

Oh yeah I'm pretty sure I got a concussion one time during practice. I knocked the s*** out of some kid. Took me a few seconds to get up, but all I saw was stars. Coach said some congratulatory "nice hit!" thing and I just said something stupid, I think I said "blue stars?" in response, as if I was somehow answering his question competently...he's like uhhh yeah, take a breather for a few plays....

When I wrestled, seemed like my fingers & wrists were always all mangled up. I don't know the proper diagnosis and lingo, but I probably always had at least 1 or 2 sprained fingers like at all times. Considering I wrassled year 'round...yeah, not super fun. A few fingers probably got broken, but ya got 10 of 'em for a reason, right?

Idk if it counts as a concussion, but plenty of times I blacked out from getting choked for too long. One time was during practice, just remember thinking, "Huh, something seems wrong but I can't quite tell what ..." then I was out, then woke up like, "Oh ya, need oxygen!" Another time we were all messing around at the hotel the day before the tournament and I lit some kid's head on fire and he (UNFAIRLY MIGHT I ADD) decided to choke me out when I wasn't paying attention later. I can't distinctly remember the other times, but it was at least another 2-3, likely more.

Oh and something's messed up with my knees now. I don't know exactly what it is, but the muscle right above my knees, but if I poke them the right way, they go numb.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 29th, 2019 at 4:39:04 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Supposedly costs him 21 million this year. If he didn't play because he was injured he'd get that money. He must have been cleared medically and just decided he didn't want to be pounded any more. Lots of ways to look at it. I may be politically incorrect, but I think he will now be known as a 'quitter', whether fair or not.

I think that's a bit unfair, they all retire eventually. Any other job a person could quit anytime they wish and nobody could really say anything about it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 29th, 2019 at 5:24:56 PM permalink
The man made enough money to provide for the next couple of generations and now chooses to spend time with his family. What a jerk.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
August 29th, 2019 at 6:57:56 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

When I am talking about "learning to take a bump" I am not talking about coaching. I am talking about general life. Boys grow up playing rougher than girls. I have even seen where dads and uncles should roughouse play with their sons and nephews at a young age to get them used to this. Boys play "kill the man with the ball" in pickup games. Girls do not.

This eventually gets to the field of play.

haha I forgot about playing kill the man with the ball. Do kids still play that? Probably not. We used to also play roman candle tag.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146RS
August 30th, 2019 at 4:44:28 AM permalink

haha I forgot about playing kill the man with the ball. Do kids still play that?

We were politically incorrect. We called it smear the queer.
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2019 at 6:51:41 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

We were politically incorrect. We called it smear the queer.

Same, no hits in the nuts was the only rule. You could punch him in the face, whatever it took. We usually played with a designated person keeping time so there would be an actual winner at the end. Sometimes we played with a chickenpoop who wanted a no hitting in the face rule, any body shot was always legal. I think kicks were sometimes not allowed and sometimes permitted.

EDIT: You could punch him or her in the face, actually, though I don't think any of us ever hit a girl. We had two really bad@$$ girls that liked to play with us, but as a practical matter, we would just spear them and try to rip the ball from their hands. I don't think anyone punched either of them...he would have been killed by the rest of us guys if he had.
Last edited by: Mission146 on Aug 30, 2019
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2019 at 6:55:37 AM permalink

haha I forgot about playing kill the man with the ball. Do kids still play that? Probably not. We used to also play roman candle tag.

Did you play. "Spider?"

For those who don't know, spider is when two people swing on swings beside one another. A third person has to run through the web, the two people on swings can do whatever they want to the third person to knock him down, kicks, punches, anything goes. One time we got bored and played with chains. The way score was kept was the runner would get one point for every time he ran through the web without being knocked to the ground. You ran back and forth until knocked to the ground, no stopping, no breaks.

After all three people had a turn as runner, highest score wins.
GWAE
GWAE
September 6th, 2019 at 5:53:56 PM permalink
Antonio Brown has lost his mind. For years in Pittsburgh he was known as a hard worker and team guy. He seems to have taken a major shift. Has the money gotten to him or could it be CTE? If anyone remembers the Bengals playoff game when the Steelers won because cincy imploded. The implosion started by I believe it was burfect crushing AB and giving him a bad concussion. It seems to be after that where he has gone mad. Maybe that hit was the leading cause of his current issues.

Or maybe he is just crazy
GWAE
GWAE
September 7th, 2019 at 9:36:37 AM permalink
And ab is released
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 9:49:37 AM permalink
Looks like the Steelers did well to get a 3rd and a 5th for a player who never caught a pass for the team he was traded to.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 7th, 2019 at 10:18:02 AM permalink

CTE?

100%
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
September 7th, 2019 at 10:32:03 AM permalink

And ab is released

Bet he ends up on the Patriots roster.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 10:44:12 AM permalink
I was thinking the same thing, if anyone will get him under control, it’s Belichick. I just don’t know if AB will sign for the most I think he’d be offered, or if the Patriots would actually want him.

I could see a one-year 10M contract HIGHLY based on incentives. Maybe 1M guaranteed money.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 10:46:18 AM permalink
If you could somehow keep both AB and Josh Gordon on the field, that’s some talent.
GWAE
GWAE
September 7th, 2019 at 10:46:26 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I said the same thing. Steelers play them tomorrow night. Will be pissed if I see a story at 3pm that says ab to Patriots.
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 10:49:17 AM permalink

I said the same thing. Steelers play them tomorrow night. Will be pissed if I see a story at 3pm that says ab to Patriots.

If it makes you feel better, he couldn’t play Week 1 regardless.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 10:51:51 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I was thinking the same thing, if anyone will get him under control, it’s Belichick. I just don’t know if AB will sign for the most I think he’d be offered, or if the Patriots would actually want him.

I could see a one-year 10M contract HIGHLY based on incentives. Maybe 1M guaranteed money.

That is the discussion I just had with wife. She thinks no one will want him. I say there are 25 teams that will want him but the offers will be terrible. The question will be will he play for 8-12 million?
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 10:53:03 AM permalink

If it makes you feel better, he couldn’t play Week 1 regardless.

Yes it does. I did not know that. I guess there is a league cutoff for rosters?
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 10:54:36 AM permalink
I’d say maybe 10-15, I couldn’t imagine wanting him unless you’re already a legitimate SB contender or can lock him into an incentive-laden contract for multiple years.
GWAE
GWAE
September 7th, 2019 at 10:54:48 AM permalink
Quote: Face

100%

I believe his big concussion came in Jan 2016. Prior to that, there were no issues and local reporters seemed to love him. After that they were domestics and team related issues. I believe he also got his huge contract around that time as well so one of these 2 are the trigger.
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 11:02:05 AM permalink

Yes it does. I did not know that. I guess there is a league cutoff for rosters?

I think it has to do with the fact he was released from a team today. I believe if someone was already a free agent, that player could be signed today and play. I could be wrong, though.
GWAE
GWAE
September 7th, 2019 at 11:11:14 AM permalink

I think it has to do with the fact he was released from a team today. I believe if someone was already a free agent, that player could be signed today and play. I could be wrong, though.

Here is an article to explain why he could not play, but he can play Monday. Denver could sign him and he could play against oakland

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/07/antonio-brown-cant-play-sunday-could-play-monday/amp/
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2019 at 11:57:44 AM permalink

And ab is released

And now we have found out the limits to the kind of degenerate the Raiders will put up with.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 7th, 2019 at 12:02:14 PM permalink

I believe his big concussion came in Jan 2016. Prior to that, there were no issues and local reporters seemed to love him. After that they were domestics and team related issues. I believe he also got his huge contract around that time as well so one of these 2 are the trigger.

That's why I said 100%. If you know someone or are friends with someone who knows someone who's suffered a TBI, personality changes are always involved in the convo, and it always involves unpredictability and anger. Just look at my post history lol.

Wasn't meant as a super serious comment because I don't know him, but this is pretty much par in my experience. He may very well "clear up" and go back to mostly normal. Then one innocent *boink* and we're back to being a disaster again. Were I in football I'd consider him done for good, and someone in his camp should tell him to hang it up. Antonio Brown is dead, speaking as a dead man myself.

Just opinion, of course. I don't follow foosball so am just reacting to what's posted.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 12:25:27 PM permalink

Here is an article to explain why he could not play, but he can play Monday. Denver could sign him and he could play against oakland

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/07/antonio-brown-cant-play-sunday-could-play-monday/amp/

Thanks! I actually knew he could play Monday, but forgot. Flacco could use him, but I don’t see Elway doing it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 1:19:42 PM permalink
This will be super complicated. Here in Buffalo, where we actually tried to get him this off season, there is all this blather about how important "the culture"is here......
I would assume other teams have the same bullshit about 'culture', and thus hiring an AB is a clear repudiation of what you've been saying.
I'm pretty sure NOTHING happens until he has an arbitrator decide whether or not the Raiders can void his huge signing bonus. It's a giant salary cap issue for the Raiders, and apparently would affect the Steelers as well.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
September 7th, 2019 at 2:34:30 PM permalink
Rosenhaus announced he’s signing with the Pats, one year deal 9-15 mill. Steelers fans gonna be salty if that works out and contributes to a deep playoff run.
unJon
unJon 
September 7th, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Rosenhaus announced he’s signing with the Pats, one year deal 9-15 mill. Steelers fans gonna be salty if that works out and contributes to a deep playoff run.

Patriots offered Steelers a first round pick for AB, but Steelers refuses to trade him to them.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Mission146
Mission146
September 7th, 2019 at 3:00:10 PM permalink

That didn’t age well. $9,000,000 signing bonus, $10,000,000 total guaranteed and up to $15,000,000 with incentives.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2019 at 3:01:45 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Meh. I stopped caring years ago but when it comes to pats in playoffs Steelers simply can’t win.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
September 7th, 2019 at 3:27:32 PM permalink

Good call!

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
September 8th, 2019 at 8:58:59 AM permalink
I'm going in a true Jets fan and not some bogus fair weather fan who switched to the Giants years ago. They've been sticking it for exactly half a century now. I'll be hoping, as always, flat this will finally be our year.
The best things in life are not free.
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2019 at 9:02:05 AM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

I'm going in a true Jets fan and not some bogus fair weather fan who switched to the Giants years ago. They've been sticking it for exactly half a century now. I'll be hoping, as always, flat this will finally be our year.

No. Tom Brady.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 8th, 2019 at 9:09:09 AM permalink

Patriots offered Steelers a first round pick for AB, but Steelers refuses to trade him to them.

And you know this how? Anyone actually in the Patriots organization admit to this? Anyone in the Steelers organization admit to this?
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2019 at 9:17:51 AM permalink

And you know this how? Anyone actually in the Patriots organization admit to this? Anyone in the Steelers organization admit to this?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-offered-first-round-pick-for-antonio-brown-trade-ab-hired-consultants-to-accelerate-release/

It's been reported, at a minimum.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
September 8th, 2019 at 9:28:37 AM permalink

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-offered-first-round-pick-for-antonio-brown-trade-ab-hired-consultants-to-accelerate-release/

It's been reported, at a minimum.

As I expected..... "been reported" No names. No verification. No actual tape of either GM.....

I think reporters can make such claims, and when proven true they are lauded. When proven false no one remembers.
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2019 at 10:34:04 AM permalink
It’s fair, and I agree. I was just defending UnJon to the extent it’s been reported, so he’s not just throwing things out there that haven’t been already.
unJon
unJon 
September 8th, 2019 at 10:41:09 AM permalink

LOL go do your own googling.
GWAE
GWAE
September 8th, 2019 at 11:36:43 AM permalink
I am liking what appears to be a hard stance on thuggery. Multiple people have been ejected today for punches and kicks.
  • Jump to: