9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 14th, 2019 at 11:48:08 AM permalink
Will 13 straight years of Army/Navy unders continue? Crazy stat. It’s feels so low this year. I tossed on a bet on over 40.5. Feels like Navy may score at will.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 14th, 2019 at 12:34:07 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Will 13 straight years of Army/Navy unders continue? Crazy stat. It’s feels so low this year. I tossed on a bet on over 40.5. Feels like Navy may score at will.

I took the under 41 because Army is starting a quarterback that hasn't played before.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
unJon
unJon
December 14th, 2019 at 1:18:07 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I took the under 41 because Army is starting a quarterback that hasn't played before.

Under looks good so far.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
December 14th, 2019 at 1:49:01 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Under looks good so far.

I am enjoying this game and this style of football.
unJon
unJon
December 14th, 2019 at 2:42:45 PM permalink

I am enjoying this game and this style of football.

Agreed. And let me say that I’m rooting for you to push your under 41 bet. :-)
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
December 14th, 2019 at 6:14:27 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I hope LSU wins it. Die hard fan base that hasn't had one in a while. But also, I really like the coach.

I was in LA when he was the interim coach at SC. Everyone in the media seemed to think he was a good guy and the players absolutely loved him. However, in their infinite wisdom, the higher ups decided he wasn't a big time coach and went with Layne Kiffen. Woops.

Actually, I think that Orgeron was a coordinator under Lane Kiffin. When Kiffin was fired (on the airport tarmac) Orgeron took over as interim head coach. At the end of that year they replaced Orgeron with Sarkisian, head coach at Washington - whose drinking problems were not yet understood.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
December 15th, 2019 at 7:51:46 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Actually, I think that Orgeron was a coordinator under Lane Kiffin. When Kiffin was fired (on the airport tarmac) Orgeron took over as interim head coach. At the end of that year they replaced Orgeron with Sarkisian, head coach at Washington - whose drinking problems were not yet understood.

Not long ago Orgeron was considered one of the best recruiters in the country. He just associated well with the kids and parents.

He was at USC way before Lane Kiffin. I know he coached under Pete Carrol at USC and I think he was there before that too.
DRich
DRich
December 15th, 2019 at 1:34:08 PM permalink
I bet the tie in the Presidents cup at 13-1. I had a good sweat.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 15th, 2019 at 5:03:31 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I stand corrected.

Still, SC had this guy actually functioning as their head coach and decided he wasn't good enough. Now he has conquered Bama and the rest of the SEC. It's not like he was some coordinator from the MAC who they considered and chose someone else. He was actually coaching their team.

From the outside looking in, it seemed like Orgeron was this rough around the edges character, more of a people person. SC was looking for a slick and polished wiz kid. Perhaps behind the scenes this was not the case.

From what I've heard in the media, they were going to pass over fricking Urban Meyer because of what were almost certainly false allegations, but against one of his assistants.

I like SC, but it's been quite a run of ineptitude since Pete left.
DRich
DRich
December 15th, 2019 at 6:32:00 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I stand corrected.

From what I've heard in the media, they were going to pass over fricking Urban Meyer because of what were almost certainly false allegations, but against one of his assistants.

I have been an Urban Meyer fan since his days at Bowling Green. I also grew up in Ohio so I am a fan of Ohio State. I would not blame someone for passing on Urban Meyer if their ethics were greater than their desire to win. He has always been a little shady.

I also think it was smart for USC to give Helton another year especially since they would have had to pay him since he is under contract.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
December 15th, 2019 at 7:16:17 PM permalink

I have been an Urban Meyer fan since his days at Bowling Green. I also grew up in Ohio so I am a fan of Ohio State. I would not blame someone for passing on Urban Meyer if their ethics were greater than their desire to win. He has always been a little shady.

I also think it was smart for USC to give Helton another year especially since they would have had to pay him since he is under contract.

He strikes me as kind of a shady, John Calipari type for sure.

But I read an article about the abuse case that made it pretty clear that the woman was just unstable, and angry that her husband cheated on her. Her own mother believed she was making the violence up. So not hiring him on those grounds would be foolish, if the article was accurate.
DRich
DRich
December 21st, 2019 at 1:11:27 PM permalink
What a day for football. We have 9 college bowls on TV and 3 NFL games. It is a dilemma. I will probably only be able to watch three of them and my TV will only record four. It is hard to prioritize.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 21st, 2019 at 1:37:02 PM permalink

What a day for football. We have 9 college bowls on TV and 3 NFL games. It is a dilemma. I will probably only be able to watch three of them and my TV will only record four. It is hard to prioritize.

it's crazy. why would the NFL schedule to compete for viewers with college football when they don't have to. makes no sense at all
Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 21st, 2019 at 2:20:38 PM permalink
Real bowl games don’t start until the nfl season is over and more total tv time I guess.

Edit: my bad, I guess real bowl games start next weekend, nfl week 17.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 22nd, 2019 at 2:42:11 AM permalink
comical sports story:

Wizards player went into stands after fan who gave him the finger because he made one of 2 free throws thus denying the fan a free Frosty from Wendy's - 6ers promo

well, I'd be pretty upset if I didn't get a free Frosty too............................ 😄

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/isaiah-thomas-enters-the-crowd-in-philadelphia-gets-ejected-from-wizards-125-108-loss/2019/12/21/e53b3b58-237d-11ea-bed5-880264cc91a9_story.html

DRich
DRich
December 22nd, 2019 at 8:51:28 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

it's crazy. why would the NFL schedule to compete for viewers with college football when they don't have to. makes no sense at all

Because there are so many more NFL fans that those games will still be the top three viewed games of the day. I have an opinion that most NFL fans are not football fans, they are just fans of their favorite teams. Therefore, I despise most NFL fans. Be a fan of the game and not the teams. A good football game can break out even if you don't know the teams or the players. Liberty vs Georgia Southern for example. There were lots of good games yesterday.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 22nd, 2019 at 9:22:02 AM permalink
The NFL has been playing Saturday games in late December for decades. It's the NCAA that is intruding. Traditionally, there was no NCAA football until Cristmas Week. The Army-Navy game was the end of the College season and Bowls were after Christmas. That was when Bowls actually meant something, and teams needed nine wins to qualify. Now every team with a winning record gets a game, they have to schedule them against NFL games.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 22nd, 2019 at 9:53:39 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

The NFL has been playing Saturday games in late December for decades. It's the NCAA that is intruding. Traditionally, there was no NCAA football until Cristmas Week. The Army-Navy game was the end of the College season and Bowls were after Christmas. That was when Bowls actually meant something, and teams needed nine wins to qualify. Now every team with a winning record gets a game, they have to schedule them against NFL games.

I didnt look at the schedule this year but last year I believe there were even a handful of teams with losing records.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 22nd, 2019 at 9:55:41 AM permalink

Please.... nothing says history and tradition like the "Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl"!

I watched the equally important "Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl", as University of Buffalo was a combatant. They ran all over the opposition in front of a crowd of... (how many fans do you need to technically call it a "crowd"?). If there were more than 5,000 fans I'd be shocked. But Buffalo is now the answer to the all important trivia question.... who is the first bowl game winner this December!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2019 at 9:58:40 AM permalink

I used to be way down on all the bowl games. Then I lived in a bowl city. They are something for the tourists to do. Let the kids play one last game. Get use out of a stadium. Let the sponsor use their sponsorship to entertain clients.

Not that this makes them worthy of TV and for sure nor more than an NFL game. But if some folks are making money on it, go for it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2019 at 10:00:19 AM permalink

Therefore, I despise most NFL fans. Be a fan of the game and not the teams. A good football game can break out even if you don't know the teams or the players.

I don't get the problem.

What are your feelings on those of us rooting for the over/under or a point spread?
DRich
DRich
December 22nd, 2019 at 10:25:05 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I didnt look at the schedule this year but last year I believe there were even a handful of teams with losing records.

I believe only Florida International had a losing record this year.
DRich
DRich
December 22nd, 2019 at 10:26:02 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I don't get the problem.

What are your feelings on those of us rooting for the over/under or a point spread?

I am fine with that as long as you don't claim to be a football fan.\

A real football fan will watch any game on TV over just about anything else. I don't care if it is high school football from another state. You watch it if you are a football fan.

I have four games recorded from yesterday to watch. Yes, I know who won but I don't care. I need to see how it was done.
GWAE
GWAE
December 22nd, 2019 at 12:43:46 PM permalink

I am fine with that as long as you don't claim to be a football fan.\

A real football fan will watch any game on TV over just about anything else. I don't care if it is high school football from another state. You watch it if you are a football fan.

I have four games recorded from yesterday to watch. Yes, I know who won but I don't care. I need to see how it was done.

I don't think a fan is defined by picking a game over anything else. Just because I didnt record the play in our game so we can exploit college kids bowl doesnt mean I am not a fan of football. I will watch any game but that doesnt mean I will clear my schedule to watch everything.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
December 22nd, 2019 at 2:23:07 PM permalink

I don't think a fan is defined by picking a game over anything else. Just because I didnt record the play in our game so we can exploit college kids bowl doesnt mean I am not a fan of football. I will watch any game but that doesnt mean I will clear my schedule to watch everything.

I guess we just interpret the word fanatic differently.

I wouldn't expect you to miss the birth of your first child for a game, but you should be watching a football game over the birth of an further children.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
December 22nd, 2019 at 3:21:59 PM permalink
Without looking it up, which current NFL quarterback holds the wins record at 49 for NCAA Division I FCS. Hint: he played at North Dakota St.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Mission146
December 22nd, 2019 at 3:28:42 PM permalink
Is his first name the same as a poor Pennsylvania city that was home to a famed heavyweight boxing champion?
DRich
DRich
December 22nd, 2019 at 3:35:41 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Is his first name the same as a poor Pennsylvania city that was home to a famed heavyweight boxing champion?

You could say that you hit one out of the park.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 22nd, 2019 at 4:47:11 PM permalink
Cowboys haters - and there are lots of them - are going to party tonight - for sure
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
December 22nd, 2019 at 4:51:35 PM permalink

Cowboys haters - and there are lots of them - are going to party tonight - for sure

Cowboys fans are now in the rare position of being Giants fans.
GWAE
GWAE
December 22nd, 2019 at 5:00:46 PM permalink

I wouldn't expect you to miss the birth of your first child for a game, but you should be watching a football game over the birth of an further children.

By that definition you could only be a fan of one thing in life since there will always be an overlap.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
December 22nd, 2019 at 7:23:15 PM permalink

Because there are so many more NFL fans that those games will still be the top three viewed games of the day. I have an opinion that most NFL fans are not football fans, they are just fans of their favorite teams. Therefore, I despise most NFL fans. Be a fan of the game and not the teams. A good football game can break out even if you don't know the teams or the players. Liberty vs Georgia Southern for example. There were lots of good games yesterday.

This is how I am with baseball. Of course, it's fun to root for your hometown team, or whatever. In baseball, I don't have any team. In other sports, I'll root for my team if I see them, but it's not a big deal. It's more fun just being a baseball fan.

For one thing, you don't have to root for wife beaters or whathaveyou if you don't want to. And you can root for guys who do something good, like Michael Vick bringing joy to fans of dog fighting. You don't wind up inventing pretzel logic to justify your own teams cheating and all that goofy stuff.

Of course, baseball is the superior game. But that's another matter.

Especially now that the leagues and teams are openly hostile to fans, and damage the cities foolish enough to host them, I think being a pro fan is pretty silly. Like getting really upset or happy because the entertainment corporation that stole money from your fire department "won" an exhibition. It has nothing to do with you and your life.

Enjoying the exhibition and the intricacies of the game, observing the skills. All sensible and even stimulating.

Making a game that is about you out of the entertaining exhibitions is also sensible. Fantasy, survivor, gambling, etc. You're involved. You're active. You're thinking. It's more fun. You might make money.

The athletes and owners wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire, and the fire department lacked a hose because the money went into their pockets. Having a poster of them on your wall and replacing your interests with theirs is boot licking.

College is a bit different, particularly if you went there.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 23rd, 2019 at 3:45:31 AM permalink
the Steelers got lucky
the last game is crucial for them but not for their opponent the Ravens who have clinched the top seed in the AFC

the Ravens will likely sit out some of their starters - probably Lamar Jackson will sit

lucky, lucky, lucky
billryan
billryan
December 23rd, 2019 at 4:22:23 AM permalink

That depends on your sex.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 23rd, 2019 at 4:36:14 AM permalink
URGENT QUESTION: Was there any massive sporting event planned for Australia at 4:00am Eastern time? World Cup? Olympics?

I've searched news sources and can't find anything. Worried my delirium bouts are getting more intense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2019 at 5:26:15 AM permalink

the Steelers got lucky
the last game is crucial for them but not for their opponent the Ravens who have clinched the top seed in the AFC

the Ravens will likely sit out some of their starters - probably Lamar Jackson will sit

lucky, lucky, lucky

They got lucky long before. If not for a holder that did not spin the laces they would be 7-8. They have several phony wins along the way.

Offense is so bad the Ravens should still own them.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 23rd, 2019 at 5:30:31 AM permalink

They got lucky long before. If not for a holder that did not spin the laces they would be 7-8. They have several phony wins along the way.

Offense is so bad the Ravens should still own them.

I wouldn’t call the countless injuries on offense particularly, “Lucky.” I think 5-11 would have been forgivable under the circumstances, and yet, they’ll finish the season with at least a .500 record and a shot at the playoffs in the final week.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2019 at 5:46:06 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I wouldn’t call the countless injuries on offense particularly, “Lucky.” I think 5-11 would have been forgivable under the circumstances, and yet, they’ll finish the season with at least a .500 record and a shot at the playoffs in the final week.

You can claim injuries if you want, but the offense has been awful. A very classic case of the D or special teams setting the offense up. When they played a better team (Bills) they could no longer pull it off. Duck completed 3 TD passes to the wrong team in 2 quarters. Teams spied the wildcat so it did not work. In summary they did what many mediocre teams do. Run some tricks and hope the other team does not catch on.

That I have to sweat out a loss this week to win my under is ridiculous.

Here is the prognosis. Ben comes back next year. One of three things happens. One, he returns to form and gives them maybe 3 good years. 2 is he comes back and pulls a Bradshaw where he plays even a few games then something "pops" and he knows it is over. 3 is he comes back, gets knocked around, and asks himself what on earth is he doing this for at his age and next year is his last.

2 of 3 result in a return to the Steelers of the mid-80s. 8-8 teams as far as the eye can see, fans always hoping. I plan to turn it into wins as I care about nothing more than a point spread now. OK, I care about over/under, an unappreciated bet.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 23rd, 2019 at 6:23:16 AM permalink

You can claim injuries if you want, but the offense has been awful. A very classic case of the D or special teams setting the offense up. When they played a better team (Bills) they could no longer pull it off. Duck completed 3 TD passes to the wrong team in 2 quarters. Teams spied the wildcat so it did not work. In summary they did what many mediocre teams do. Run some tricks and hope the other team does not catch on.

Objectively speaking, they've been an extremely injured offense. I would say it rises above the level of, "Claim," to verifiable fact. When you have a game where you lack your QB1, RB1, WR1, C and one of your other top receivers, not to mention all the games where they lacked one or more of those things, that's some loss to injury. (Suspension in the case of Pouncey)

Personally, I think the problems in the Bills game started when they were up 10-7 (I think) and were moving the ball through ground and air in 4-6 yard clumps. I want to say they had two first downs in a handful of plays, the Bills were showing no signs of stopping them, when Fichtner had Duck put some air under it (for an interception almost returned for a TD) for reasons beyond my comprehension. You've got two great defenses and poor offenses going up against one another and you're leading, so I have no idea why you don't call an extremely conservative game there...especially when it's working!

You've got your QB3 who became QB1 and started the year unsigned. You're not just picking guys up off your own practice squad, you're grabbing guys from other practice squads. That's being decimated by injury.

Quote:

That I have to sweat out a loss this week to win my under is ridiculous.

Here is the prognosis. Ben comes back next year. One of three things happens. One, he returns to form and gives them maybe 3 good years. 2 is he comes back and pulls a Bradshaw where he plays even a few games then something "pops" and he knows it is over. 3 is he comes back, gets knocked around, and asks himself what on earth is he doing this for at his age and next year is his last.

2 of 3 result in a return to the Steelers of the mid-80s. 8-8 teams as far as the eye can see, fans always hoping. I plan to turn it into wins as I care about nothing more than a point spread now. OK, I care about over/under, an unappreciated bet.

I would be surprised if he has three years left. I don't think anyone on the roster is the QB of the future necessarily. It doesn't mean you can't trade if Ben retires and possibly improve at the position that way. I don't think either Rooney, Tomlin or the fans are going to accept 8-8 in perpetuity, that's just not the culture of the Steelers.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
December 23rd, 2019 at 9:22:59 AM permalink

By that definition you could only be a fan of one thing in life since there will always be an overlap.

No,but you should plan everything else for the football offseason.
DRich
DRich
December 23rd, 2019 at 9:25:49 AM permalink

That depends on your sex.

I see no reason a woman couldn't be watching football while squeezing out a bloody mass.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 24th, 2019 at 2:29:10 AM permalink

the Steelers got lucky

lucky, lucky, lucky

Yup. Either Duck Hodges is probably going to start an nfl playoff game. Would have to believe would be on the short list of 10 or so at most worst QB’s of all time to start a playoff game.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2019 at 3:45:09 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Yup. Either Duck Hodges is probably going to start an nfl playoff game. Would have to believe would be on the short list of 10 or so at most worst QB’s of all time to start a playoff game.

The town has really gone quiet on the team since the Bills loss. I'm not even seeing Steelers stuff around the office. The sportsbet podcasts so fare are calling for them to lose to Baltimore, which will probably happen.

Anyone hear if Rudolph is out for Sunday and if so who is the emergency QB, which I believe they must declare beforehand?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 24th, 2019 at 6:28:02 AM permalink
Rudolph expected to be out multiple weeks. Paxton Lynch expected to move onto active roster. Looks like Steelers favored by 2 to 2.5 points currently.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2019 at 8:39:54 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Rudolph expected to be out multiple weeks. Paxton Lynch expected to move onto active roster. Looks like Steelers favored by 2 to 2.5 points currently.

Out multiple weeks? Only one game left lol.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 24th, 2019 at 9:09:41 AM permalink
Sure under the assumption they have no chance to win a game they’re favored in next week or assuming titans win.
GWAE
GWAE
December 24th, 2019 at 9:39:49 AM permalink

No,but you should plan everything else for the football offseason.

Makes me want to go postal when someone has a bday party or wedding during the football season. So glad I have hulu live where I can watch it mobile.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
December 24th, 2019 at 10:03:47 AM permalink

Makes me want to go postal when someone has a bday party or wedding during the football season. So glad I have hulu live where I can watch it mobile.

Well since my Jets have now screwed me over for exact half a century they should be glad that I'm not a Fair Weahter Fan or I'd have divorced them a long time ago. Here's looking to next season.
The best things in life are not free.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
December 24th, 2019 at 10:11:29 AM permalink
My Aunt had the unmitigated gall to have her funeral the day the Giants played the Ravens in the Big Game. Some folks are so inconsiderate.
DRich
DRich
December 24th, 2019 at 10:29:07 AM permalink

My Aunt had the unmitigated gall to have her funeral the day the Giants played the Ravens in the Big Game. Some folks are so inconsiderate.

I would not have attended if it was during the game.
  • Jump to: