2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 24th, 2019 at 10:30:13 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Makes me want to go postal when someone has a bday party or wedding during the football season. So glad I have hulu live where I can watch it mobile.

Just tell them to change the date if they want your presence.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 24th, 2019 at 10:49:47 AM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

Well since my Jets have now screwed me over for exact half a century they should be glad that I'm not a Fair Weahter Fan or I'd have divorced them a long time ago. Here's looking to next season.

Wish the guys at the fire station a Merry Christmas.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
December 24th, 2019 at 11:07:21 AM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

Well since my Jets have now screwed me over for exact half a century they should be glad that I'm not a Fair Weahter Fan or I'd have divorced them a long time ago. Here's looking to next season.

I remember when Jet fans would pity us Giant fans. That was six Super Bowl appearances ago.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 2nd, 2020 at 3:35:17 AM permalink
Don Larsen was a mediocre pitcher with a career losing record
but in 1956 he threw the only perfect game in World Series history
he just passed - R.I.P. Don

this is the Yankee stadium scoreboard during the day of that famous game

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/01/obituaries/don-larsen-dead.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
January 2nd, 2020 at 10:43:44 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/01/obituaries/don-larsen-dead.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

I remember Ballantine beer on the East coast. I think Pabst bought them out.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 4th, 2020 at 8:15:35 PM permalink
Brady needs to retire or he’s going to embarrass himself next year right? There’s times it looks like he sees someone but won’t throw it because he doesn’t want to step into a hit.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 5th, 2020 at 6:12:03 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Brady needs to retire or he’s going to embarrass himself next year right? There’s times it looks like he sees someone but won’t throw it because he doesn’t want to step into a hit.

He's clearly not the best in the league but he played ok. I mean, Edelman drops easy pass... if he catches it they are just about in range for winning FG...... I think if he was QB on Frisco we are talking about a 7th SB now.
But he clearly trails Jackson, Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Wentz and probably a few others.....
DRich
DRich
January 5th, 2020 at 7:52:01 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I am rooting for Brady to be the quarterback for the Chargers next year. Giselle in L.A. makes sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 5th, 2020 at 9:13:16 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

He's clearly not the best in the league but he played ok. I mean, Edelman drops easy pass... if he catches it they are just about in range for winning FG...... I think if he was QB on Frisco we are talking about a 7th SB now.
But he clearly trails Jackson, Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Wentz and probably a few others.....

Wow. Seriously? No way. He’s not better than Jimmy G anymore (Jimmy not that good either). He’s not even as good as Cousins or a healthy Stafford now. He’s not even as good as Tannehill now... He’s probably not even a top 20 Qb now over last half of season or going forward.

I’d put him around the Darnold/Winston territory...it’s over, he’s done. QB rating over 100 ONE time in his last 12 games. Second worst qbr of the season against Tennessee who beat them passing for less than 100 yards. He’s showing it to us, people refuse to believe it. He’s going to go out like Favre, Emmitt, or Rice if he insists on coming back.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Jan 5, 2020
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2020 at 9:39:05 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I remember Ballantine beer on the East coast. I think Pabst bought them out.

Ballantine was ahead of its time. An India Pale Ale a generation too soon.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2020 at 9:48:37 AM permalink
please delete
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2020 at 9:48:37 AM permalink
"Ballantine was ahead of its time. An India Pale Ale a generation too soon." quote from Bill Ryan

how about Schaefer Beer - remember the jingle - "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one"

in junior high there was a girl who's last name was Schaefer - we used to sing " Schaefer is the one girl to have when you're having more than one"

sold out to Strohs
DRich
DRich
January 5th, 2020 at 10:05:43 AM permalink

"Ballantine was ahead of its time. An India Pale Ale a generation too soon." quote from Bill Ryan

how about Schaefer Beer - remember the jingle - "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one"

in junior high there was a girl who's last name was Schaefer - we used to sing " Schaefer is the one girl to have when you're having more than one"

sold out to Strohs

As a teenager I drank so much Schaefer because it was the cheapest beer available. Was pretty bad too as i remember it.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2020 at 11:02:09 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

As a teenager I drank so much Schaefer because it was the cheapest beer available. Was pretty bad too as i remember it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon beer is still around - it's the All American red, white and blue beer -

red neck - white socks - and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.........................😄
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2020 at 11:24:34 AM permalink
interesting (to me) rule thing in the NFL

if there is an injury in the last 2 minutes of the half or the game the team with the injury is charged with a time out

the reason is to prevent the faking of injuries so that a team will benefit by getting more time

but if they have no timeouts when an injury occurs they can be granted, in certain situations, an excess timeout

so faking an injury could still possibly be an advantage play for a team

full explanation at the link:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/8/25/6064397/nfl-rules-explanation-of-the-fourth-timeout-charged-to-dallas-cowboys

they may get charged 10 seconds off the clock in this situation if the defense chooses but it would still seem to allow them a potential advantage as they have plenty of time to prepare for another play

the link is the actual official NFL rulebook:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/7_Rule4_Game_Timing.pdf
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 5, 2020
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 5th, 2020 at 2:06:27 PM permalink
Will the Saints and their fans be able to whine enough this offseason to get the NFL to change the overtime rules to more like the NCAA as well?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 5th, 2020 at 2:59:53 PM permalink

Pabst Blue Ribbon beer is still around - it's the All American red, white and blue beer -

Actually it isn't a bad beer. Sometimes bars make it a happy hour deal and I will get it. Pretend it's the 70s!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2020 at 3:27:31 PM permalink
not making any excuses for the Saints

but the Overtime rules on who wins the coin flip gets to choose and they will almost surely elect to receive
they can win with a TD so it seems the winner of the coin flip has a tremendous advantage

an advantage caused by sheer luck

IMO the rules should be changed so that the defending team gets one chance at possession to tie the score or possibly win with a 2 point conversion

why let luck have such a big role in a game? - doesn't make sense to me
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 5th, 2020 at 3:57:47 PM permalink

but the Overtime rules on who wins the coin flip gets to choose and they will almost surely elect to receive
they can win with a TD so it seems the winner of the coin flip has a tremendous advantage

IMO the rules should be changed so that the defending team gets one chance at possession to tie the score or possibly win with a 2 point conversion

The right answer is to do it like college football overtime. Fair and exciting. It’ll never happen.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 5th, 2020 at 4:12:07 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

The right answer is to do it like college football overtime. Fair and exciting. It’ll never happen.

After years of sudden death it was modified so never say never. Maybe make it 1 possession each for playoffs only is the answer.
DRich
DRich
January 5th, 2020 at 4:15:56 PM permalink

I will occasionally drink that on the golf course as it is usually the cheapest beer.
DRich
DRich
January 5th, 2020 at 4:18:08 PM permalink

If I am not mistaken a touchdown is only scored about 33% of the time on the first possession.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
January 5th, 2020 at 11:42:18 PM permalink

I’d prefer they just give each team one normal possession. Not the starting from the 25 yd line college way

If the team that goes on offense first doesn’t score at all , the team that goes second just needs any score to win

If the team that goes first kicks a FG, the second team needs a TD to win.

If the team that goes first scores a TD, the team that goes second needs a TD and must go for 2. If they convert it they win.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 6th, 2020 at 3:40:30 AM permalink
early line has Chiefs favored by 9.5 over Texans
that line seems off to me - I don't see justification for them being favored by that much
DRich
DRich
January 6th, 2020 at 10:52:13 AM permalink

early line has Chiefs favored by 9.5 over Texans
that line seems off to me - I don't see justification for them being favored by that much

I agree, that is a bg number.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 6th, 2020 at 11:54:37 AM permalink
So, is the Patriots dynasty dead? Which team will pick up Brady for a year or two, if he doesn't return to the Pats?

And, the only thing I like about Belichik is how he is rude to the media when he needs to be. "It's only 12 hours after the game and we've been busy preparing for Miami and Houston. We haven't thought about the future, and you can ask that question in many different ways and every time you ask that is the only answer I will give you."
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
michael99000
michael99000
January 6th, 2020 at 12:15:18 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

So, is the Patriots dynasty dead? Which team will pick up Brady for a year or two, if he doesn't return to the Pats?

And, the only thing I like about Belichik is how he is rude to the media when he needs to be. "It's only 12 hours after the game and we've been busy preparing for Miami and Houston. We haven't thought about the future, and you can ask that question in many different ways and every time you ask that is the only answer I will give you."

Apparently not busy enough preparing for Miami
DRich
DRich
January 6th, 2020 at 1:49:14 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Apparently not busy enough preparing for Miami

Or tennessee.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 8th, 2020 at 6:28:56 AM permalink
why don't NFL teams hire a 7 foot plus college basketball player who didn't go NBA to block field goals and punts?

it would seem to me at the very least he could force the opposing team back 3 yards increasing the chance for a miss or a mishap

seems to me he would be worth a spot on the roster
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2020 at 8:29:55 AM permalink

I hate the College OT rules. Who wants to see a 21-21 regular time tie turn into a 70-63 farce.
If you can't prevent a team from scoring a touchdown, you don't deserve to win.
DRich
DRich
January 8th, 2020 at 9:00:56 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I hate the College OT rules. Who wants to see a 21-21 regular time tie turn into a 70-63 farce.
If you can't prevent a team from scoring a touchdown, you don't deserve to win.

You will probaby enjoy the XFLrules, I think they eliminated kicking.
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2020 at 9:29:38 AM permalink
I will watch the XFL. Haven't followed it as far as rules changes or even who they have signed, but I will give it a shot. I just hope they learned from the mistakes they made the first time round.

My HS team played an overtime game many years ago, with the teams getting the ball on the ten yard line. I forget the final, but we won after scoring a bunch of times. It wasn't football. At that point, there had only been two OT games in pro football and ties were common through all levels of the game. This was a first round playoff game and no one seemed to know the rules.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 14th, 2020 at 3:20:18 AM permalink
Joe Burrow - great QB and good guy raised half a million on Facebook for the poor in his struggling hometown

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/sports/as-joe-burrow-spoke-of-hunger-his-hometown-felt-the-lift.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=964250205&imp_id=349504567&action=click&module=Most%20Popular&pgtype=Homepage
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 14th, 2020 at 5:38:51 AM permalink

Joe Burrow - great QB and good guy raised half a million on Facebook for the poor in his struggling hometown

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/sports/as-joe-burrow-spoke-of-hunger-his-hometown-felt-the-lift.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=964250205&imp_id=349504567&action=click&module=Most%20Popular&pgtype=Homepage

I'll be rooting for him in Cincinnati. What I liked most about the game is it finally shut up the announcers who were lauding the " genius defensive coordinator, Venables". If I had a dollar for every time his name was mentioned I could retire! (Oh wait, I already did retire...).
Some talking head was suggesting every team without a QB named Mahomes would trade their QB for Burrow. Interesting thought, as he did mention Burrow will of course be cheap for 4 years salary cap wise, while teams with 'good' QBs (Stafford, Prescott, Winston, Cousins) will count 25 million at least against the cap.

Lawrence had an underwhelming game. But the consensus is he is #1 pick next year. Do you think someone will convince him not to play next year to avoid what happened to Tua?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 21st, 2020 at 1:35:52 PM permalink
News reporting large police presence outside of Antonio Browns house with injuries. I do not use twitter but I have followed his lately. Last few days have been weird for him. I have this strange feeling that his time is coming to an end. If I were in a death pool I would have him on my list.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 22nd, 2020 at 3:52:59 AM permalink
Morgan Wooten the winningest high school basketball coach in history just passed - R.I.P. Coach Wooten
I went to his basketball camp and knew him a little bit - what a great guy he was
compiled an incredible record at Dematha in Hyattsville, MD of 1274-192 - an absolutely spectacular 93% wins
coached the only team ever to beat Kareem's (then Lew Alcindor) high school team - Power Memorial of NYC
I saw the game in which the only team in DC ever to dethrone Dematha for the DC Catholic League Championship during his finest years
..........................................that was Mackin High School with the legendary Austin Carr

here's Kareem (Lew) getting beat in that famous game:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/morgan-wootten-winningest-high-school-basketball-coach-dies-at-88/2020/01/22/a7ad57b0-3c61-11ea-baca-eb7ace0a3455_story.html
Niketa11
Niketa11
  • Threads: 0
January 22nd, 2020 at 4:33:46 AM permalink
For sure NBA- Spurs
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 19th, 2020 at 4:36:19 AM permalink
this post is for Bball junkies who can't get a fix right now

greatest college games that are digitally archived - the NYT story is linked - but it doesn't have my pick which is often called the greatest college basketball game ever played

the 1974 ACC championship game between Maryland and NC State with David Thompson - NC state won 103-100

David Thompson was surely one of, if not the greatest college basketball player of all time

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/sports/best-ncaa-tournament-games.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Sports
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 19th, 2020 at 5:22:07 AM permalink

this post is for Bball junkies who can't get a fix right now

greatest college games that are digitally archived - the NYT story is linked - but it doesn't have my pick which is often called the greatest college basketball game ever played

the 1974 ACC championship game between Maryland and NC State with David Thompson - NC state won 103-100

David Thompson was surely one of, if not the greatest college basketball player of all time

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/sports/best-ncaa-tournament-games.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Sports

Thanks for reminding me of him! There was once a time where they lowered one of our baskets to 8 feet. We would play 2 on 2. When my buddy Perry would have the ball if I saw an opportunity to cut to the basket, I would call out DT, And he would lob pass that I could dunk.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 19th, 2020 at 7:36:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Thanks for reminding me of him! There was once a time where they lowered one of our baskets to 8 feet. We would play 2 on 2. When my buddy Perry would have the ball if I saw an opportunity to cut to the basket, I would call out DT, And he would lob pass that I could dunk.

at NC State they called him 𝑫𝑫𝑻 - Dazzling David Thompson
my high school teammate was on the NC State team with him as a sophomore and got booted off because of drugs and some other BS -
he would have been on the team that won a national championship - what a shame
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 23rd, 2020 at 5:19:24 AM permalink
the 2 greatest plays in the history of the NCAA IMO - 2 buzzer beaters to win the national championship
Christian Laettner turnaround fallaway let Duke beat Kentucky
Lorenzo Charles dunk while Akeem the Dream just watched to let NC State beat Houston:

michael99000
michael99000
March 23rd, 2020 at 6:55:57 AM permalink

the 2 greatest plays in the history of the NCAA IMO - 2 buzzer beaters to win the national championship
Christian Laettner turnaround fallaway let Duke beat Kentucky
Lorenzo Charles dunk while Akeem the Dream just watched to let NC State beat Houston:

The Laettner shot didn’t win the national championship. It was the East regional final and got duke into the Final Four
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 27th, 2020 at 5:08:18 AM permalink
R.I.P. Curly Neal

seeing him as a kid was one of the most fun times of my childhood

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/sports/basketball/curly-neal-dead.html
billryan
billryan
March 27th, 2020 at 10:32:48 AM permalink
The annual Globe Trotters game was the high point of my time in the Cub Scouts. Curly, Meadowlark and the rest ruled.
Rest in Peace.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 27th, 2020 at 10:47:24 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

The annual Globe Trotters game was the high point of my time in the Cub Scouts. Curly, Meadowlark and the rest ruled.
Rest in Peace.

I remember seeing them @ The Hemisphere Arena in San Antonio Tx. (~30 years ago). The poor Generals never had a chance against the Globetrotters.

I also vaguely remember the San Diego Chicken being there as well (but I am probaly wrong).

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 30th, 2020 at 4:25:22 AM permalink
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
March 30th, 2020 at 5:43:52 AM permalink
Anyone catch the eNASCAR race yesterday? I guess you could say that I am a casual fan of racing. If I see it on TV, I might stop and watch for a while, but I don't follow the sport too closely.

Anyway, I was flipping around yesterday and caught some of the iRacing Pro Invitational eNASCAR race on my local FOX affiliate. I didn't really know what I was seeing at first. I thought it might be a replay of a previous race. The commentators were the standard guys in the booth for a regular Cup race, and most of the drivers were familiar names. Plus the graphics were amazingly realistic. I couldn't tell for sure it was a video game until I looked at the fans as the cars went by -- they never moved.

So, they have the regular Cup drivers, and the standard broadcast. They are just racing in cyberspace rather than on an actual racetrack.

The best part, IMO, was when they would talk to the drivers. They often do this during the yellow flag laps where there is no actual racing, and while the driver was talking, they would show a live shot of him from inside the car. This past race was no different, except when they showed shots of the drivers, they were in their living rooms!

LOL! I was listening to local (FL) sports talk a couple of weeks ago when the 10 person max gathering guidelines were announced. The host said that the good news was that the Tampa Bay Rays would still be able to host home games!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 61
March 30th, 2020 at 3:22:50 PM permalink
I love this concept! I typically mess around on either Draftkings or Fanduel and play some of the Nascar racing games that they have on there. With no sports right now, I thought this would be the next thing that would appear on either of the daily fantasy sports sites as an option to bet on. Maybe it will happen soon.

Back to the iracing concept. I also liked how they could talk to drivers and the TV broadcast really appeared like I was watching a real Nascar race. Very well done in my opinion!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 6th, 2020 at 2:57:56 AM permalink
they're praying they don't lose the NFL
ever seen a bookie pray?........................................ 😄

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/sports/ncaabasketball/coronavirus-sports-betting.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 6th, 2020 at 8:30:47 AM permalink
2020 British Open cancelled. From the link: "The Championship will next be played at Royal St George’s in 2021."

https://www.randa.org/en/news/2020/04/the-open-in-2020-cancelled

I guess the Sportsbooks will be refunding wagers on this event.
  • Jump to: