2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 8th, 2019 at 1:41:37 PM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

I'm going in a true Jets fan and not some bogus fair weather fan who switched to the Giants years ago. They've been sticking it for exactly half a century now. I'll be hoping, as always, flat this will finally be our year.

Raising your children as Jet fans is child abuse.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 8th, 2019 at 5:29:38 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Raising your children as Jet fans is child abuse.

You should never raise your children being a fan of a team. Teach them the intricacies of football so they become a fan of the sport. It should never matter who is playing, just watch every game possible.

I am not much of an NFL football fan, but I will still watch every game I can because there is nothing better on any TV channel than football. If the only football on is high School, I will watch it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 8th, 2019 at 5:40:48 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

You should never raise your children being a fan of a team. Teach them the intricacies of football so they become a fan of the sport. It should never matter who is playing, just watch every game possible.

I am not much of an NFL football fan, but I will still watch every game I can because there is nothing better on any TV channel than football. If the only football on is high School, I will watch it.

I disagree with that. I would prefer them to latch onto a team. I dont care which team but I think it is good to have some bonding and sports is always a good ice breaker. Even when it is against oposing fans. I wear a steelers hat when I wear a hat. I am not sure that I have ever been out of town and not had a comment about it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
September 8th, 2019 at 5:52:53 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I disagree with that. I would prefer them to latch onto a team. I dont care which team but I think it is good to have some bonding and sports is always a good ice breaker. Even when it is against oposing fans. I wear a steelers hat when I wear a hat. I am not sure that I have ever been out of town and not had a comment about it.

But just think of the bonding opportunities if you voraciously watch every game. You can bond with any other sports team fan if you know their players, coaches, and tendencies.

I am not a Steeler's fan (I am from Cleveland) but I bet I know more about them than 99% of their fans.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
September 14th, 2019 at 2:21:04 AM permalink
pretty cool - faster than Usain Bolt's average per hour in the 100 meters - you can see it better on the youtube thing

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/09/13/dallas-cowboys-chidobe-awuzie-drug-test/2306011001/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsgY7ibndNw
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 14th, 2019 at 8:37:41 AM permalink

I am not sure that I have ever been out of town and not had a comment about it.

Used to do and get the same. I have been told there is a Steeler bar in Guam for crying out loud.

I agree get them to follow a team. Caveat when they are old enough, age 12 or so, teach them how sports betting works and the difference between betting your team for fun and actual handicapping.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
September 14th, 2019 at 9:43:00 AM permalink
Fifty years of watching baseball and just when you think you've seen it all, two plays you've never seen occur in one game.
Yankee first basemen snags a laser line drive, the force.of which knocks him backwards and down so he lands on first base forcing the runner.
An inning or two later, the Yankee pitcher is mid windup and a butterfly lands on his glove.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 15th, 2019 at 5:43:42 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Fifty years of watching baseball and just when you think you've seen it all, two plays you've never seen occur in one game.
Yankee first basemen snags a laser line drive, the force.of which knocks him backwards and down so he lands on first base forcing the runner.
An inning or two later, the Yankee pitcher is mid windup and a butterfly lands on his glove.

my best baseball story is seeing Jimmy Piersall, a really colorful character who loved to clown around, lie down in centerfold looking like he was taking a nap for the Washington Senators while the other team was batting

amazingly, the Manager of the Senators, Mickey Vernon, didn't yank him

can you imagine putting up with that kind of sh** from a player back then? - incredible
GWAE
GWAE
September 17th, 2019 at 10:19:22 AM permalink
Rough weekend for pgh sports. Roethlisberger out for season now pirates star closer Vasquez arrested for having sex with 13 year old.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 17th, 2019 at 4:48:19 PM permalink

Rough weekend for pgh sports. Roethlisberger out for season now pirates star closer Vasquez arrested for having sex with 13 year old.

On the bright side, magic number to clinch last is now 4?
GWAE
GWAE
September 17th, 2019 at 5:11:45 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

On the bright side, magic number to clinch last is now 4?

He was denied bail. I was surprised about that.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Mission146
October 6th, 2019 at 2:03:52 PM permalink
Man how did earl thomas not get ejected for launching at Mason Rudolph on that really brutal shot. Left his feet and went helmet to helmet, knocked him out. Not like it was a bang bang play that happens with receivers all the time that’s more or less unavoidable. If that was Tom Brady he’d probably be barred for life, or at least until Brady retires.
GWAE
GWAE
October 6th, 2019 at 2:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Man how did earl thomas not get ejected for launching at Mason Rudolph on that really brutal shot. Left his feet and went helmet to helmet, knocked him out. Not like it was a bang bang play that happens with receivers all the time that’s more or less unavoidable. If that was Tom Brady he’d probably be barred for life, or at least until Brady retires.

I was wondering the same. But I think it might be because Rudolph was hit into him as well. It did look bad though. He was laying there like he was dead. JuJu is quickly becoming my favorite player. He is well liked around here. Until mid last year he would ride his bike to the stadium.

The dude that came in for Rudolph looked pretty good though for a person that I cant remember his name.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 6th, 2019 at 2:10:37 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

If that was Tom Brady he’d probably be barred for life, or at least until Brady retires.

So, life? JK
Last edited by: Mission146 on Oct 6, 2019
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 6th, 2019 at 2:21:05 PM permalink

I was wondering the same. But I think it might be because Rudolph was hit into him as well.

Not really though. Looking at the replay from the front angle, when he strikes Rudolph there’s a hand on his shoulder from behind but no force that would push him forward. Rudolph did jump up/forwards to throw the ball. It was inexcusable not to throw him out, I’m sure at least a fines coming, probably would have arrested Burfict for assault with a deadly weapon if it was him. Thomas is a good player and doesn’t have a reputation for that afaik but that was really bad.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 6th, 2019 at 4:59:25 PM permalink

I was wondering the same. But I think it might be because Rudolph was hit into him as well. It did look bad though. He was laying there like he was dead. JuJu is quickly becoming my favorite player. He is well liked around here. Until mid last year he would ride his bike to the stadium.

The dude that came in for Rudolph looked pretty good though for a person that I cant remember his name.

Word is Rudolph is home from the hospital, so I assume rest it off. No word if he is out next week. If he is there may be value going against Steelers, who's losses are all narrow.

OTOH, good teams win the narrow game, bad ones lose it. I am on pace for my season under.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 20th, 2019 at 12:52:22 AM permalink
pretty amazing - the Bills Frank Gore is the 4th leading rusher in NFL history - he's about to pass Barry Sanders and become no. 3
I had barely heard of the guy before reading the article

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/sports/football/frank-gore-buffalo-bills.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage
GWAE
GWAE
October 20th, 2019 at 3:28:15 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

pretty amazing - the Bills Frank Gore is the 4th leading rusher in NFL history - he's about to pass Barry Sanders and become no. 3
I had barely heard of the guy before reading the article

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/sports/football/frank-gore-buffalo-bills.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage

honestly if it werent for fantasy football I probably wouldnt have either. I had him on my winning team about 10 years ago when he played for SF.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 20th, 2019 at 3:39:34 AM permalink
A crazy thing about how long he’s lasted and productive he’s been is that he tore his acl in both his sophomore and junior seasons of college and clearly never regained his full explosiveness if you saw him run before them, still very good without it. What are the odds of a running back having a more than full length productive career after that? Most guys would be pretty much done. He was an absolutely electric athlete as a freshman, averaged over 9 yards a carry and beat out also elite athlete and future first round pick/pro bowler Willis McGahee for the job as a sophomore before tearing acl for first time.

I am surprised the colts and now bills are giving him a decent number of carries these last two years he’s been hanging on though, he pretty much looks his age now there is just no burst at all there anymore just savvy, plodding along. Reminds me a bit of Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice hanging on way too long and being fringe roster level talent at the end.

Edit: Ahh I see the injuries are mentioned in the article. Can’t believe dude is 36 that’s insane thought he’d be 32-33. Hate to say it but odds of getting CTE when you just keep going like that have to be significant.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 29th, 2019 at 3:16:13 AM permalink
incredible play: Deshaun Watson TD pass after being kicked in the eye
he's on pace to throw for 4500 yards and 32 touchdowns and rush for 500 yards and 10 more scores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll32tTcdgDM
FTB
FTB
  • Threads: 7
November 2nd, 2019 at 9:45:32 PM permalink
It's almost one in the morning on the East Coast. It's ridiculous how they are making fans wait for main event of Canelo-Kovalev to finally start, supposedly to wait for the UFC show to end.
Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
November 2nd, 2019 at 11:23:48 PM permalink
Incredible by canelo though. Who'd have thought he would move up in weight and stop the likes of Kovalev?
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
November 3rd, 2019 at 12:08:46 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Incredible by canelo though. Who'd have thought he would move up in weight and stop the likes of Kovalev?

He was a -500 favorite to win. So the oddsmakers definitely thought he would
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
November 3rd, 2019 at 8:31:48 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

He was a -500 favorite to win. So the oddsmakers definitely thought he would

That was to win.
GWAE
GWAE
November 3rd, 2019 at 11:25:13 AM permalink
wth Miami, You trying to lose the #1 pick?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 6th, 2019 at 3:04:01 PM permalink
Quick request here. Could someone who knows provide the algebretic equation for the percent of correct picks to break even for a given moneyline?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
AZDuffman
November 6th, 2019 at 5:52:06 PM permalink

Quick request here. Could someone who knows provide the algebretic equation for the percent of correct picks to break even for a given moneyline?

If you bet on the favorite at -XXX then you have to win:
XXX/(100+XXX).

If you bet on the underdog at +XXX then you have to win:
100/(100+XXX).
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 6th, 2019 at 11:38:29 PM permalink
I'm struck by the personification of players. Sure some of you talk about the sport, some about teams, but you all seem to consider the players as human beings with individual personalities and histories and you seem to engage in some sort of object-oriented-programming where you re-arrange the players while focusing on inheritance and persistence of attributes.

Do you people do the same with motorists on the highway?

Do you do the same with ants building a nest?

How about actors playing Hollywood roles?

I can understand this in reference to psyching-out the bookies but you people seem to really identify players as unique individual people rather than as fungible 'others'.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 14th, 2019 at 9:59:58 PM permalink
Miles Garrett hitting Mason Rudolph with Rudolph's helmet: Comments? How long should suspension be?

Pouncey punching Miles Garrett and then kicking him in the head - should he also be suspended?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 15th, 2019 at 4:45:27 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Miles Garrett hitting Mason Rudolph with Rudolph's helmet: Comments? How long should suspension be?

Definitely a punk move. Kind of cowardly, too. If you want to fight, drop his helmet and take off your own off. I think somewhere in the 8 game neighborhood might be appropriate.

You seem to see more and more of these incidents of violence that occur outside regular game play. At some point, this will rise to criminal conduct. Maybe not this incident, but it could just as easily been the crown of the helmet that connects with Rudolph's head instead of the underside. What if it was and Rudolf suffered lasting affects from it?

Quote:

Pouncey punching Miles Garrett and then kicking him in the head - should he also be suspended?

Maybe a game. I'd be fine (no pun intended) if he just paid a fine.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 15th, 2019 at 4:56:44 AM permalink

Looks like Gatrett is already waived. Before NFL offices open for the day?

Pouncy needs to take a pinch. 2 games?

66 from Steelers needs commended. Textbook of how to handle things.

Rudolph may get a fine for starting it all.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 15th, 2019 at 5:13:51 AM permalink

I suspend Garrett for the remainder of the season. Also require documented formal anger management class. I would say there is clearly enough evidence to charge him with assault.

I suspend Pouncey two games. Not clear on my own thinking here, but it seems enough.
DRich
DRich
November 15th, 2019 at 6:42:24 AM permalink
I will guess a four game suspension reduced to two games after appeal.
unJon
unJon
November 15th, 2019 at 6:42:51 AM permalink

Looks like Gatrett is already waived. Before NFL offices open for the day?

Pouncy needs to take a pinch. 2 games?

66 from Steelers needs commended. Textbook of how to handle things.

Rudolph may get a fine for starting it all.

I’m not seeing any reports of Garret being waived. Can you provide link?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 15th, 2019 at 6:49:35 AM permalink
How is it that Rudolph always ends up taking these unwarranted shots? Rough season so far after the Thomas one too.

I think you have to suspend him into next season based on that I think it at a minimum be more games than Burfict. Rest of year and 6-8 games into next season. I know Burfict has a ton of previous history but don’t think you can justify making it less than Burficts recent 12 games.
Also it should hurt the franchise, 6 games rest of this season where playoff window close to closed already is getting off way easy.
billryan
billryan
November 15th, 2019 at 6:57:44 AM permalink
I'd say he misses the rest of the season and never plays for Cleveland again.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 15th, 2019 at 7:42:31 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I’m not seeing any reports of Garret being waived. Can you provide link?

I saw a news flash at the office. No sound in TV so I might have missed something.
unJon
unJon
November 15th, 2019 at 11:06:16 AM permalink
Garret suspended indefinitely (at least rest of season then he has to meet with Commish about next year).

Pouncey gets 3 games.

Browns DB that shoved Mason gets a game.

Mason gets nothing.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
November 15th, 2019 at 11:34:07 AM permalink

Garret suspended indefinitely (at least rest of season then he has to meet with Commish about next year).

Pouncey gets 3 games.

Browns DB that shoved Mason gets a game.

Mason gets nothing.

So the Steelers , battling for a playoff spot, now have to go without their starting center for 3 games. And it’s because he was trying to protect his QB who was basically being assaulted by an opposing player.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 15th, 2019 at 11:42:32 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

So the Steelers , battling for a playoff spot, now have to go without their starting center for 3 games. And it’s because he was trying to protect his QB who was basically being assaulted by an opposing player.

He ABSOLUTELY was not trying to "protect" his quarterback!!!! He was seeking REVENGE , AFTER the ASSAULT on Rudolph. He was kicking a man who was ALREADY pinned on the ground!!! How does that 'protect' his quarterback???
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 15th, 2019 at 2:42:51 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

He ABSOLUTELY was not trying to "protect" his quarterback!!!! He was seeking REVENGE , AFTER the ASSAULT on Rudolph. He was kicking a man who was ALREADY pinned on the ground!!! How does that 'protect' his quarterback???

RIGHT! The other guy, #66, handled it exactly right. As a cop or bouncer would. He got between them, got him to the ground, and put his weight on him while he calmed down and help came. Pouncy was attacking like in a gang fight.

Hope it helps my under bet!
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 15th, 2019 at 3:17:54 PM permalink
Quote: unjon

Mason gets nothing.

Horse s@#$ of the highest order.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GWAE
GWAE
November 15th, 2019 at 4:05:39 PM permalink
I missed all the fun. I was watching the Pit overtime game
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 16th, 2019 at 8:08:52 AM permalink
I thought Pouncey would get two game suspension, but they gave him 3 games - I think, one for each punch and kick.

I thought it prudent that Pouncey be suspended for at least two games so that he would be absent for the Browns-Steelers rematch in 17 days. I imagine that the refs of that rematch game will warn the teams and really put the clamps down on any unnecessary roughness or unpsortsmanlike behavior. Big time.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 16th, 2019 at 2:50:38 PM permalink

I thought Pouncey would get two game suspension, but they gave him 3 games - I think, one for each punch and kick.

I thought it prudent that Pouncey be suspended for at least two games so that he would be absent for the Browns-Steelers rematch in 17 days. I imagine that the refs of that rematch game will warn the teams and really put the clamps down on any unnecessary roughness or unpsortsmanlike behavior. Big time.

That does make me wonder if the NFL has or should have a “cooler” crew for this kind of thing. Most seasoned crew with a rep for keeping control.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 18th, 2019 at 2:44:59 AM permalink
Ravens look unstoppable
looks like nobody can handle Lamar Jackson
GWAE
GWAE
November 18th, 2019 at 3:28:39 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Ravens look unstoppable
looks like nobody can handle Lamar Jackson

They do look good. Being from Pittsburgh I am supposed to hate the ravens and normally I would but with flacko, Lewis, and Suggs all gone it's tough to hate them. I have seen some stories that Jackson is a really good person.
unJon
unJon
November 18th, 2019 at 3:35:12 AM permalink

They do look good. Being from Pittsburgh I am supposed to hate the ravens and normally I would but with flacko, Lewis, and Suggs all gone it's tough to hate them. I have seen some stories that Jackson is a really good person.

I never understood that. I rooted for the Ravens in all their super bowls. If it doesn’t affect the Steelers chances, I’m a big Ravens fan. Now the Browns and Bengals, they can go f$&@ themselves and I hope they never win a game.
GWAE
GWAE
November 18th, 2019 at 4:07:52 AM permalink

I never understood that. I rooted for the Ravens in all their super bowls. If it doesn’t affect the Steelers chances, I’m a big Ravens fan. Now the Browns and Bengals, they can go f$&@ themselves and I hope they never win a game.

For me, it just seemed like the players hated each other. Games. Were hard hitting and entertaining. New crop of players so it is different.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 18th, 2019 at 4:09:33 AM permalink

Early in the season they looked like a phony division leader. They were in the lead but all the rest were way awful. But now they are hitting mid-season stride. For the Superbowl they are still a dark horse but many weeks left.

I would not say I ever "hated them." In the late 2000s to early teens the Ravens and Steelers might have been the most equally matched two rivals in NFL history. I am sure Maylox sales went up at pharmacies near the Sportsbook when the 3 point line was set one way or the other.

Sports are so much more relaxing when you care about the point spread and nothing else.
  • Jump to: