9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 4th, 2020 at 4:09:34 PM permalink
I found this real interesting from Wikipedia re most RBIs in a season while a was searching around:

"The single-season mark of 166 stood for over thirty years until Babe Ruth hit 171 in 1921. Ruth's mark was then broken by teammate Lou Gehrig six seasons later in 1927 when Gehrig hit 175 RBI. Finally, Hack Wilson set the current record mark of 191 RBI in 1930 with the Chicago Cubs."

according to baseballreference.com they're off a little a bit on the count on Ruth and Gehrig but not on Hack Wilson

and I had never even heard of Hack Wilson who played for the Cubs

I looked him up and in that same year he hit 56 homers

amazing

according to baseballreference.com he was a stocky guy who weighed 190 but his height was only 5'6"

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wilsoha01.shtml
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 4th, 2020 at 4:27:39 PM permalink
Did you guys as youngsters have a copy of the Baseball Encyclopedia? I was probably 10 when my Dad got me one for Christmas. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent reading that book. It had the stats for every major league player in it. Today we take the internet for granite.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
tringlomane
July 4th, 2020 at 9:12:13 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I found this real interesting from Wikipedia re most RBIs in a season while a was searching around:

"The single-season mark of 166 stood for over thirty years until Babe Ruth hit 171 in 1921. Ruth's mark was then broken by teammate Lou Gehrig six seasons later in 1927 when Gehrig hit 175 RBI. Finally, Hack Wilson set the current record mark of 191 RBI in 1930 with the Chicago Cubs."

according to baseballreference.com they're off a little a bit on the count on Ruth and Gehrig but not on Hack Wilson

and I had never even heard of Hack Wilson who played for the Cubs

I looked him up and in that same year he hit 56 homers

amazing

according to baseballreference.com he was a stocky guy who weighed 190 but his height was only 5'6"

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wilsoha01.shtml

Robin Ventura hit a game-winning grand slam but was only credited with one RBI.
It was an extra-inning playoff game at Shea Stadium and with the bases loaded, Robin hit a ball into the bleachers and the place exploded. Ventura ran to first jumping for joy but never got to second base as he was mobbed by overly enthusiastic teammates.
The game scoreboard had the final 7-3 and many sports outlets reported that final. At some point, after the game was off the air, it was changed to 4-3.
It was officially scored a single and the grand slam single is part of baseball history.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 4, 2020
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 5th, 2020 at 2:02:00 AM permalink
more basketball memories:

I wish somebody would write a book about some of the great Washington DC playground players from back in the day that I saw
I think they have done that, or a video about the same in NYC

many of the great ones I saw didn't play organized ball - they only played on playgrounds

here are some of the nicknames:

Helicopter.................ChickenBreast.....................and of course...........................Superman

Superman, nobody knew his real name, was a big muscular guy with huge thigh and calf muscles who was only about 5'10" tall

he wasn't really a great player

but he would just stand under the basket - he would grab rebounds or get passes in the post and from a standstill jump up and easily dunk - in heavy traffic

he was like a mini Wilt Chamberlain

it was astonishing
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 5, 2020
billryan
billryan
July 5th, 2020 at 11:10:50 AM permalink
When I attended Holy Cross, the basketball team was pretty elite and would travel to Maryland each year for a tournament that included DeMatha and another DC area school. It was pretty embarrassing for the
NYC champion to come in last in a tournament but that's what generally happened.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 5th, 2020 at 12:55:14 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

When I attended Holy Cross, the basketball team was pretty elite and would travel to Maryland each year for a tournament that included DeMatha and another DC area school. It was pretty embarrassing for the
NYC champion to come in last in a tournament but that's what generally happened.

DC area basketball, particularly at that time was really spectacular
you probably know this, I've posted it before I think, but Dematha was the only team ever to beat Power Memorial when they had Lou Alcindor (Jabbar)
Kevin Durant, who is from Prince George county, Maryland, which borders DC, has just finished a documentary on the history of P.G. county basketball
I haven't seen it yet, but if he left out the actual city of DC - that's a shame - because there were many more great ones from DC in the 60s and 70s then P.G. County
Dematha, is actually in P.G. County, Hyattsville - but their legendary coach, Morgan Wooten got almost all of his players from DC - they were given scholarships
in the last 35 years there has been a black migration out of DC and into P.G. county - so all of this has changed

many of the DC H.S. players, after they had fully matured, were better than a lot of NBA pros IMO - a lot of them almost never went to class - the schools just pushed them thru - so they couldn't get their sh.. together to get into college - their scholastic skills were so poor or nonexistent

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/kevin-durants-documentary-pg-county-basketball-gets-release-date
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 5, 2020
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 7th, 2020 at 10:52:06 AM permalink
searching around more for some baseball stuff - and I found this really interesting (to me anyway) in wiki about the switch from the "dead ball" era to the "live ball" era

"The dead-ball era came to an end after the fatal beaning of Cleveland Indians player Ray Chapman during the 1920 season. Chapman was killed by a submarine pitch from Carl Mays in the 5th inning of a twilight game against the New York Yankees. Witnesses stated that Chapman never moved to get out of the way of the ball, and it is assumed he simply couldn't see it. The new Commissioner of Baseball, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, instituted several new rules during that season, in response to Chapman's death as well as in an effort to liven up the game.

Rather than change the construction of the balls, which remained consistent between the transition from the "dead-" to "live-ball eras", rule changes were instituted around how the balls were treated. Starting in 1920, balls were replaced at the first sign of wear, resulting in a ball that was much brighter and easier for a hitter to see. Additionally, pitchers were no longer allowed to deface, scuff, or apply foreign substances to the ball.

The impact of the rule changes was felt almost immediately. In 1920, the game changed from typically low-scoring to high-scoring games, with a newfound reliance on the home run. "

you can really see the effect of the change in the stats of the great hitter Rogers Hornsby

in his first 5 seasons where he played a lot of games he hit 6, then 8, then 5, then 8, then 9 home runs

then in the next 5 seasons after the "live ball" came in he hit 21, then 42, then 17, then 25, then 39 home runs

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hornsro01.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live-ball_era
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 10th, 2020 at 7:48:34 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Did you guys as youngsters have a copy of the Baseball Encyclopedia? I was probably 10 when my Dad got me one for Christmas. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent reading that book. It had the stats for every major league player in it. Today we take the internet for granite.

I still have my copy of my first BB Encyclopedia. Like you , I spent dozens of hours studying it. And then I discovered Bill James' Baseball Abstracts.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
July 10th, 2020 at 8:06:22 PM permalink
The Big 10 Conference has just announced that their football teams will not play any non-conference games this year, assuming they play any football games at all.

They join the Pac-10 in this policy.

A big impact will be on schools like Illinois State -who won't play Illinois and won't earn an $800K paycheck.

If you squint, I think you can see the end of the world coming.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 11th, 2020 at 2:13:36 AM permalink
anybody play APBA baseball?
I'm pretty sure it's still out there
I played it as a kid - had a friend who had all the stats memorized - he would always beat me
I can't remember how it's played - but I remember it was pretty fun

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 11th, 2020 at 8:47:53 AM permalink

anybody play APBA baseball?
I'm pretty sure it's still out there

Yes, it is - as is Strat-O-Matic, Replay Baseball, and a few other "paper & pencil" baseball games with actual MLB teams/seasons that I can't think of off the top of my head.

One problem with these games is, getting a full season of teams is somewhat expensive, mainly because of the licensing fees for the players' names.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 11th, 2020 at 8:58:05 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The Big 10 Conference has just announced that their football teams will not play any non-conference games this year, assuming they play any football games at all.

They join the Pac-10 in this policy.

A big impact will be on schools like Illinois State -who won't play Illinois and won't earn an $800K paycheck.

If you squint, I think you can see the end of the world coming.

Pardon me for being in pedantic mode today, but:
(a) it's the Pac-12 conference, ever since Colorado and Utah joined in 2011, and
(b) the Big 10 announced its "conference games only" policy on 7/9, while the Pac-12 waited until 7/10.

And you are not the first to point out that this will affect quite a few smaller schools; a number of schools (and not just the smaller ones) are dropping sports left and right. Why, yes, there are a disproportionate number of men's sports being dropped - that's what happens when you have to match the spending on your two profit-making sports with spending on all women's sports. Don't like that? Just tell the federal government, "Our university (and this is the entire university, not just the athletic program) doesn't need federal funding that badly...oh wait, yes, we do, so never mind, we're not violating Title IX just yet."
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2020 at 9:42:38 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Yes, it is - as is Strat-O-Matic, Replay Baseball, and a few other "paper & pencil" baseball games with actual MLB teams/seasons that I can't think of off the top of my head.

One problem with these games is, getting a full season of teams is somewhat expensive, mainly because of the licensing fees for the players' names.

The company that did the stats for Strat-O-Matic used to be based on long Island, and each year hundreds of middle-aged men would line up overnight to get the first crack at the new year's cards.
I played it briefly in the late 1980s, and in two tournaments I entered, the Montreal Expos from the split season strike year won it all.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 11th, 2020 at 3:54:54 PM permalink
more baseball memories:

when I was a little kid major leaguers were like Gods to us kids
we waited outside DC Stadium for hours to get autographs of even players who were nobodies - most refused, a very few signed -
we were a long way from home in the suburbs and we had no way home - one time we got a ride home with the stadium organist who lived near us

if they sat on the bench in the NBA or in the NFL that didn't mean jack to us - but major leaguers - whoa - they were Kings of the World

I went to a baseball camp in PA run by two ex baseball pros who were twins - Don and Deward Williams
Deward never got out of the minors but Don got into 11 games in the majors in 3 years as a relief pitcher
he didn't do much in the majors but he played for the Pirates and he got to be on the same team as Roberto Clemente
in 1959 he had 3 at bats with the Pirates and one of the times hit a triple
that must have been a thrill for him since he was a pitcher and I'm sure he knew he wasn't good enough to last long in the majors

to me, at that time, as a little kid, Don Williams was larger than life
he was a real nice guy too - he was a farmer's son from Virginia who spent a lot of time working the family farm

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
July 11th, 2020 at 3:57:34 PM permalink
Are you guys old enough that you put baseball cards in bicycle spokes?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 11th, 2020 at 4:17:24 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Are you guys old enough that you put baseball cards in bicycle spokes?

yeah, that was huge
also flipping cards was huge
I have the same sad story as many - Mom threw out my baseball cards
they had to be worth thousands
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
July 11th, 2020 at 5:51:19 PM permalink
Anybody ever play Sports Illustrated NFL in the 70's? The teams were tailored to the previous year's statistics. Anybody remember NFL Strategy? I still have it around here somewhere.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 11th, 2020 at 5:59:22 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

Anybody ever play Sports Illustrated NFL in the 70's? The teams were tailored to the previous year's statistics. Anybody remember NFL Strategy? I still have it around here somewhere.

Sports Illustrated's Pro Football game was renamed "Paydirt" (and the college football game, which always used "all-time best" teams rather than new ones each season, renamed "Bowl Bound"), and was released by Avalon Hill (known mainly for wargames) until the mid-1990s. There may be a company or two that makes updated sheets for recent NFL seasons for this game.
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2020 at 6:38:58 PM permalink
I had a massive NFL game, with a field that was around four feet by six. Players were about six inches except for the QB who also was the kicker. You had two sets of wheels you could put on defensive players and a running back you wound up. It didn't play very well and I ended up converting the players into wrestling figures.
redietz
redietz
July 12th, 2020 at 2:31:27 PM permalink
I have to report this, as I had golf long shots today and didn't watch the fourth round. I had Jason Day at 66-1 and Morikawa at 33-1 to win the thing. LOL. I did not think Morikawa could beat Justin Thomas, and Morikawa looked tired after yesterday's round. So I did not even watch it. Was stunned to find out that Morikawa won.

Then was glad I didn't watch, as watching may have knocked a few months off my life. I just saw the first playoff hole. It'll be repeated on every sports show all week.

So this means I need to watch a replay of the thing, mainly because I know almost nothing about Morikawa or Hovland, as they are second year players who look awesome, but the courses have been fairly easy thus far this season, so hard to see what they can and cannot do. Or what they like to do.

Anyway, brief Snoopy dance. Can't believe he won.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
July 12th, 2020 at 3:15:20 PM permalink
Fantastic finish to the tourney today. I was watching live on the computer, but tuned out when Thomas got to 21 under with an eagle on 15. That putt by Thomas on the first playoff was incredible. The 2 best players all week ended up in the playoff which was cool. Congrats on getting Morikawa to the finish line. I had him in the first tourney, when he lost in extra holes. Next week should be fun.
billryan
billryan
July 12th, 2020 at 3:18:43 PM permalink
Nice hit.
redietz
redietz
July 12th, 2020 at 5:13:56 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Sports Illustrated's Pro Football game was renamed "Paydirt" (and the college football game, which always used "all-time best" teams rather than new ones each season, renamed "Bowl Bound"), and was released by Avalon Hill (known mainly for wargames) until the mid-1990s. There may be a company or two that makes updated sheets for recent NFL seasons for this game.

Thanks for posting this. You are right -- it was called Paydirt! And it was Avalon Hill. Would not have remembered that, either. I remember them making some famous scenario war games and some kind of medieval warfare game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 13th, 2020 at 5:58:27 AM permalink

Thank you for reminding me about this!!! As a kid I wanted to be a sports statistician, but took the safer route into medicine.....

I loved Bill James.....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 13th, 2020 at 6:15:37 AM permalink

I have to report this, as I had golf long shots today and didn't watch the fourth round. I had Jason Day at 66-1 and Morikawa at 33-1 to win the thing. LOL. I did not think Morikawa could beat Justin Thomas, and Morikawa looked tired after yesterday's round. So I did not even watch it. Was stunned to find out that Morikawa won.

Then was glad I didn't watch, as watching may have knocked a few months off my life. I just saw the first playoff hole. It'll be repeated on every sports show all week.

So this means I need to watch a replay of the thing, mainly because I know almost nothing about Morikawa or Hovland, as they are second year players who look awesome, but the courses have been fairly easy thus far this season, so hard to see what they can and cannot do. Or what they like to do.

Anyway, brief Snoopy dance. Can't believe he won.

Thomas folded down the stretch. Played an 'I'm afraid of the water shot' like a 15 handicapper would (me!) that resulted in bogey on 16. Poor everything on 18 when all he needed was par... (It is a freaking tough hole..)

But the playoff...wow.... he hits bad shot to 50 feet.... extreme 10 foot of break.... IN
Morikawa needs to match with lightning fast downhill 25 footer.... IN

Morikawa is a "short' hitter, averaging less than 300 yards per drive. There are certain courses where the longer hitters have a huge advantage. The previous tournament, won by DeChambeau, had bunkers around 280-290 yards off the tee. They would gobble up Morikawa's drives, while DeChambeau drives right over them. It was the only cut Morikawa has missed in his career. He now has more wins than missed cuts. Considering around 1/2 the golfers who tee it up miss the cut every regular week, that is his most amazing feat.
DRich
DRich
July 13th, 2020 at 6:26:19 AM permalink
I just heard during that broadcast that Morikawa lives in Las Vegas. I had no idea.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 13th, 2020 at 6:34:18 AM permalink
Can’t wait until sports are back in the US. Walking around after a white ball, driving in circles, and riding a horse don’t count.
DRich
DRich
July 13th, 2020 at 6:38:18 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Can’t wait until sports are back in the US. Walking around after a white ball, driving in circles, and riding a horse don’t count.

I disagree. I am thankful that we have golf and Nascar now. I look forward to others but at least golf is on four days a week and Nascar is twoto three days per week. I am passionate about college football but I don't expectthat we will get it this year.
billryan
billryan
July 13th, 2020 at 6:58:30 AM permalink

I just heard during that broadcast that Morikawa lives in Las Vegas. I had no idea.

A lot of athletes " live" in Vegas for tax purposes. It's also incredibly easy to get to almost anywhere by commercial plane and has good rates for private ones.
billryan
billryan
July 13th, 2020 at 7:04:29 AM permalink
In 1976, I bought my first calculator from Radio Shack. They were the first affordable ones as before these ones, you'd pay hundreds of dollars for one.
Over the next few weeks, I played out a fantasy baseball season, calculating everyone's batting average after each at bat. It was like having the power of the universe in ones hands.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 13th, 2020 at 7:06:29 AM permalink
I’ve become a big UFC watcher during this time.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
July 13th, 2020 at 1:38:11 PM permalink
What would be the odds on certain sports leagues starting and successfully finishing their seasons? My first thoughts, subject to hearing your opinions:

College football : 2 to1 against; another words, 33% chance of successfully finishing their season ?

MLB: 125 to100 against?

NBA in Orlando: 1 to 2? 67% chance of success of finishing their 2019-2020 season?

NFL: 50/50? Such a powerful corporate presence, brought down by a microscopic virus?

College basketball: 60% chance of success?

Their seems to be so many scenarios in which teams might not be able to field a team because of uncertainty after some positive tests. And, I think that colleges will be sensitive to the prospect of bad publicity if their unsalaried players start getting sick and will simply lose the will to keep going.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
July 13th, 2020 at 1:50:29 PM permalink
I don't think any college will play their season during the 2020-2021 academic year. I would put football closer to 5 to 1 and basketball to 3 to 1. MLB and NBA sound about right. I'd put the NFL at 1 to 3 because "we're the NF freaking L, and we will have a season this year, gosh darn it!"

Just my $0.02. All I know is what I hear on sports talk on the way to work and at lunch.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
redietz
redietz
July 13th, 2020 at 2:13:40 PM permalink
I'm hoping college cancels until January. I see no way, other than futures, to sanely bet anything. I think the NFL will try to power through. About 85% of my wagering volume is college football, and I can't justify betting on a sport where, any given week, 20% or 25% of any given roster may wind up quarantined.

All of this is crazy. Anybody notice the PGA last week? Three players tested positive, so they made them tee off together. None made the cut -- well, how surprising is that? And what if they had made the cut? You gonna pair them with non-infected? Or just play solo?
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
July 16th, 2020 at 12:29:36 PM permalink
Interesting development yesterday with Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. Prescott turned down the Cowboys offer that would have averaged 33 million over 5 years. Prescott wanted a 4 year deal at a higher average of 37 million, so that he would be 30 when the contract ended and be eligible for one more big contract. Yesterday was the deadline to get a deal done.

I mean for my money and being an Eagles fan, I am trying to be objective, Prescott is overrated. His first year, 2016, Prescott and Ezekiel Elliot, playing an easier last place schedule surprised everyone with a 13-3 record winning the division. Over the next 3 years, the cowboys have gone 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8. That is an average of 9-7.

Other than the first year, playing a last place schedule in which Prescott and Elliot surprised everyone, the cowboys are very mediocre. And for my money, it isn't even Prescott that leads the team. the team goes how running back Ezekiel Elliot goes.

Prescott, a 4th round draft pick has proven to be a mediocre QB. The Cowboys offered him elite QB money and he turned it down.
redietz
redietz
July 16th, 2020 at 12:34:29 PM permalink
Well, so much for my PGA winning streak. Took Koepka at 22-1 and Day again at 66-1. Will be fortunate if they make the cut. Koepka hasn't been right since his caddy tested positive about a month ago. But I haven't seen him at 22-1 in ages, so I took a stab. Day looked as if he was rounding into form last week. Got the best number on him; best yesterday was 57-1.
billryan
billryan
July 16th, 2020 at 12:39:10 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Interesting development yesterday with Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. Prescott turned down the Cowboys offer that would have averaged 33 million over 5 years. Prescott wanted a 4 year deal at a higher average of 37 million, so that he would be 30 when the contract ended and be eligible for one more big contract. Yesterday was the deadline to get a deal done.

I mean for my money and being an Eagles fan, I am trying to be objective, Prescott is overrated. His first year, 2016, Prescott and Ezekiel Elliot, playing an easier last place schedule surprised everyone with a 13-3 record winning the division. Over the next 3 years, the cowboys have gone 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8. That is an average of 9-7.

Other than the first year, playing a last place schedule in which Prescott and Elliot surprised everyone, the cowboys are very mediocre. And for my money, it isn't even Prescott that leads the team. the team goes how running back Ezekiel Elliot goes.

Prescott, a 4th round draft pick has proven to be a mediocre QB. The Cowboys offered him elite QB money and he turned it down.

The starting QB for the Cowboys is an elite position. Elite positions get elite salaries. Barring injury, Prescott is their QB for the next few years. The way QB salaries have jumped the last few years, 33 million won't look so bad in three years.
Keeneone
Keeneone
July 16th, 2020 at 1:04:37 PM permalink

Well, so much for my PGA winning streak. Took Koepka at 22-1 and Day again at 66-1. Will be fortunate if they make the cut. Koepka hasn't been right since his caddy tested positive about a month ago. But I haven't seen him at 22-1 in ages, so I took a stab. Day looked as if he was rounding into form last week. Got the best number on him; best yesterday was 57-1.

It seems a bit early to call the event...
----------

I am a Cowboys fan. Obviously it is easy as fans to spend the owners money. Dak has been paid peanuts for his first 4 years with good production. He has started all 64 games of his career. His 1-2 record in the playoffs is disappointing but he is still really young. I think he should get paid the big bucks as he has earned it. I just want them to get it done and stop negotiating.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
July 16th, 2020 at 1:19:02 PM permalink
FYI, since the realignment to 4 divisions, a "last place schedule" is no more or less tough that a "first place" schedule (or 3rd or 4th). Every NFL team has 4 games against 1st place teams from the prior year, 4 against 2nd place teams 4 against 3rd place teams, and 4 against last place teams.

For example, last year the Patriots had a 1st place schedule, and the Jets had a last place schedule. 12 games were against common opponents. The remaining four games for the Patriots were against the Texans, Chiefs and the Jets twice. The Jets played the Jaguars, Raiders, and the Pats twice. Which schedule was easier?

For a given year and division, sure, the last place schedule may be easier than the first place schedule, but on paper, all 32 teams have the same strength of schedule.

Now, prior to realignment, last place teams in the 5-team divisions played vastly easier schedules. They basically all played each other plus some divisional games.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
July 16th, 2020 at 1:44:41 PM permalink
I think making him the franchise QB is the right move. You can lock him up for two years and if he still deserves the big money you give it to him then. If he stinks or gets hurt you can dump him with no additional expense or cap hit.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 16th, 2020 at 2:05:04 PM permalink
I don’t see any way Dak’s value goes down unless his play goes below what it’s been to date, it’s just the way QB contracts are going. I think they just assumed Dak would take long term salary at what Goff/Wentz/Cousins are currently paid as if the market won’t continue to rise and it and painted themselves into a tough spot cap wise by overpaying Zeke where it’s difficult to commit 35+ to a QB right now, and that decision is likely going to bury this team in a couple years if they lose Dak not having the space to sign him in two years after they’ve used tags and the QB market continued to go up. They also made Amari Cooper the second highest paid WR this offseason.

Think they just prioritized getting the deals done in the wrong order should have been QB 1st WR 2nd RB 3rd. Dak long term deal first. If any of them franchise tagged should have been Cooper. I think they should should have held hard at paying Zeke 3m or so a year less than they did and if he wouldn’t take it or continued his holdout trade him. The betting line did...not...move when Elliot ended his holdout and signed his deal. Telling for how much a specific running back impacts winning vs the pieces around him (like OL and QB play) allow him to succeed. Recent history has not been kind to giving heavily used productive RB’s going into their second contract market setting contracts with Devonta Freeman, Leveon Bell, and Todd Gurley’s teams all having buyers remorse and running backs are easily replaceable. Adrian Peterson and Lesean McCoy did not make it through their contracts before getting cut loose slightly before that. Paying high market value for RB’s in their second or third contract just rarely ends well. Chiefs and Rams have made the Super Bowl the last two seasons with backs picked up off the scrap heap, niners backup running back into the season ended up being their primary contributor and Patriots have succeeded for years either getting their backs through the draft or off the scrap heap rather than paying top tier market value. Paying top dollar for a player who’s more or less useless in situations you’re down multiple scores seems like a bad capital investment from a theory standpoint as well.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Jul 16, 2020
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2020 at 5:03:29 AM permalink
when the NBA resumes:

a couple of teams are way better at home then away
this is the mark of an immature team who needs the home crowd cheering them to play well

no guarantees - but it's likely these teams will not do well in the Disney World Great Adventure

i.e.:

Heat - home - 27-5..............away.................14-19

76ers - the poster child for this..........home - 29-2..............away..................10-24
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 17, 2020
billryan
billryan
July 17th, 2020 at 9:45:13 AM permalink

when the NBA resumes:

this is the mark of an immature team who needs the home crowd cheering them to play well

no guarantees - but it's likely these teams will not do well in the Disney World Great Adventure

i.e.:

76ers - the poster child for this..........home - 29-2..............away..................10-24

billryan
billryan
July 17th, 2020 at 9:52:34 AM permalink
I've always felt some teams are better at home because their city offers enough distractions that many visiting players don't get enough rest and hydration. In NYC, back when The China Club was the place to party, it wasn't unusual to see visiting NBA players closing the place down in spite of the fact they had a game the next day. Michael Jordan was famously spotted playing BJ in Atlantic City in the wee hours of the morning the day before an afternoon game with the Knicks.
A great example would be the first year The Golden Knights played. Their home record was heavily influenced by the visitors enjoying the Vegas nitelife.
redietz
redietz
July 17th, 2020 at 9:55:47 AM permalink

when the NBA resumes:

i.e.:

Or, conversely, some teams don't travel well. Blame it on partying on the road, or partying on the road, or partying on the road with strange hookers in your bed, but staying in a dome should eliminate the stress and, ahem, challenges of travel. Thus, one can draw the completely opposite conclusion. All games are home games, in a sense. The 76ers may do extremely well.

By the way, as I mentioned in another post, Embiid wore a hazmat suit on the plane he took to the dome.

Edit: I was writing this as billryan was posting above. Great minds....
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2020 at 10:06:23 AM permalink

All games are home games, in a sense.

absolute nonsense

did you figure out what a correlated parlay was yet....................(-:}
billryan
billryan
July 17th, 2020 at 10:30:36 AM permalink

absolute nonsense

did you figure out what a correlated parlay was yet....................(-:}

If every game is to be played on a neutral court, I'd think one would ignore both home and away stats as every team will be the away team. No one will be waking up in a strange hotel room wondering what city they are in.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2020 at 10:50:41 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

If every game is to be played on a neutral court, I'd think one would ignore both home and away stats as every team will be the away team. No one will be waking up in a strange hotel room wondering what city they are in.

I don't believe you can ever ignore home and away stats - even when playing on a neutral court
teams that have great away stats such as the Bucks, Raptors and Lakers have a mental toughness teams like the 6ers just don't have
the 6ers have a better home record than any of those 3 powerhouses
to believe that their on the road disaster is meaningless, and that they are the equal or better to those 3 teams is way, way too much of a stretch for me
if time proves me wrong, I'll admit it - but not until -
you are correct that partying on the road is a factor - but it's a small one - and also reflects a lack of mental toughness
the much larger factors are the adoring home fans - and the refs who will just about always shade their decisions, especially in crucial parts of the game, in favor of the home team
billryan
billryan
July 17th, 2020 at 11:03:19 AM permalink
I agree with your last point. Refs certainly seem to favor home teams. So who is favored on neutral courts?
Keeneone
Keeneone
July 17th, 2020 at 11:07:52 AM permalink
The Orlando Magic may have the worst of all the situations in the NBA bubble. They are "away" from their homes, but literally may be only a few miles from where they actually live.
  • Jump to: