Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
June 6th, 2011 at 6:01:52 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Residuals. Smart girl. (Smart lawyer, probably).

Smart agent, actually. Gilligan was not a mega hit like Bewitched or Beverly Hillbillies, it only lasted 3 seasons. But its been lumped into the 60's fun show category and will never die. It makes people feel good, silliness personified. Its harmless fun about a time that never really was, we just like to think it was.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
June 6th, 2011 at 7:51:23 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

There are two problems here. One is that while your example is techincally along the right lines, no one uses that word that way. A more apropriate example would be "Mary Ann tiene envidia de la belleza de Ginger."

Thanks. I make no excuses for the gender of the adjective; sorry about that. I struggled quite a bit over whether to use ser, estar, or tener for the verb. GoogleTranslate went with ser. Since moods are worthy of estar when asking "¿como estás?" I thought it was appropriate in this situation too. Still, tener just felt right. Sin embargo, (however) it is my understanding that there are nine adjectives only that get used with tener:

tengo calor = I'm hot
tengo frio = I'm cold
tengo hambre = I'm hungry
tengo sed = I'm thirsty
tengo sueño = I'm sleepy
tengo miedo = I'm afraid
tengo cuidad = I'm careful
tengo prisa = I'm in a hurry
tengo razón = I'm right

So by adding envidioso to the list, it makes me wonder whether there is a closed list at all.

Quote: Nareed

I seriously don't know what's tomorrow's word. I suppose I could figure it out, or look it up, but I can't take the litany seriously.

Hmmm. A remark you made earlier made me think you did. I think odios might figure it out, but don't think he pays attention to this thread.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2011 at 8:01:37 AM permalink
Here are the last six words in the series, as a reminder. PM me if you can figure out the next one.

Spanish English
lujuria  lust
gula gluttony
codicia greed
pereza sloth
ira wrath
envidia envy
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 6th, 2011 at 9:10:15 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks. I make no excuses for the gender of the adjective; sorry about that. I struggled quite a bit over whether to use ser, estar, or tener for the verb. GoogleTranslate went with ser. Since moods are worthy of estar when asking "¿como estás?" I thought it was appropriate in this situation too. Still, tener just felt right. Sin embargo, (however) it is my understanding that there are nine adjectives only that get used with tener:

tengo calor = I'm hot
tengo frio = I'm cold
tengo hambre = I'm hungry
tengo sed = I'm thirsty
tengo sueño = I'm sleepy
tengo miedo = I'm afraid
tengo cuidad = I'm careful
tengo prisa = I'm in a hurry
tengo razón = I'm right

So by adding envidioso to the list, it makes me wonder whether there is a closed list at all.

tener miedo a/de + noun
tener miedo a/de + infinitive

tener dolor de
tener celos
tener confianza
tener cuidado
tener vergüenza

tener éxito
tener la culpa
tener suerte
tener lugar
tener ganas de
tener en cuenta

The better translation is "I feel hot", "I feel ..." . As I said earlier tener is related to tender as in tactile sensation. While it is normally translated as "have" it only means have in a personal tactile way. "Yo tengo una pluma" means not just that I have a pen, but I can feel it in my hand, not just that I own one.

The word "am" in English is so overused that it has multiple meanings. Professor Roger Lass professor of Linguistics at Edinburgh, describes the verb "to be" as "a collection of semantically related paradigm fragments".
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 6th, 2011 at 9:28:00 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I think I watched a grand total of two episodes of Gilligan's Island. I saw some tv show wherein a man-on-the-street asked passersby to sing the intro song and many were able to do it. I believe people used to call or write various coast guard units urging rescue efforts be made, perhaps on behalf of a camera crew and live audience that they thought were lost also.

Residuals. Smart girl. (Smart lawyer, probably).

Jay Silverheels has never forgiven the lawyer who told him to take the money now and forget residuals. White man speaks with forked tongue.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2011 at 9:28:46 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The better translation is "I feel hot", "I feel ..." . As I said earlier tener is related to tender as in tactile sensation. While it is normally translated as "have" it only means have in a personal tactile way. "Yo tengo una pluma" means not just that I have a pen, but I can feel it in my hand, not just that I own one.

Thanks. If this is the case, how would one say they have something that is not immediately in his hands? For example, how would you say "I have a house in Chicago," if it was said in San Diego?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2011 at 9:41:01 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Jay Silverheels has never forgiven the lawyer who told him to take the money now and forget residuals. White man speaks with forked tongue.

Isn't "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" an old Indian proverb?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 6th, 2011 at 9:57:00 AM permalink
I believe Sitting Bull suggested us pale faces be more strict with our immigration rules than the Indians were ! Talk about chickens coming home to roost LOL
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
June 6th, 2011 at 10:43:40 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Well, Tonto does mean fool in Spanish.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2011 at 11:12:14 AM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

Well, Tonto does mean fool in Spanish.

Buen punto.

• Jump to: