Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 4th, 2011 at 2:05:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

In other news, we're just six posts away from becoming the longest thread.

Whats the longest thread with the least contributors? I'd say you, Paco and I have posted 99% of this thread.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
September 4th, 2011 at 3:05:06 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Some people are surprised to find that the Oldest restaurant in the world is not French, but Spanish. It's outside the Plaza Mayor in Madrid.

Eh, that's nothing. gomadrid.com says it opened in 1725. Meanwhile, Ma Yu Ching's Bucket Chicken House has been around since 1153.

Quote: Nareed

Whats the longest thread with the least contributors? I'd say you, Paco and I have posted 99% of this thread.

Indeed. Congratulations guys! I know I don't acknowledge ever single post, but I really want to thank you guys for all the help with my Spanish. If we're ever all in the same place at the same time we should definitely celebrate -- on me of course.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 4th, 2011 at 4:17:28 PM permalink

Eh, that's nothing. gomadrid.com says it opened in 1725. Meanwhile, Ma Yu Ching's Bucket Chicken House has been around since 1153.

Indeed. Congratulations guys! I know I don't acknowledge ever single post, but I really want to thank you guys for all the help with my Spanish. If we're ever all in the same place at the same time we should definitely celebrate -- on me of course.

The Bucket Chicken House existed in the 12th century, but it was re-established in 1864. Botin's has a certificate from Guiness Book of World Records. I should mention that while the restaurant was in Madrid, the original owner was French.

I wish I knew all of this stuff like Nareed. I have to look it up (although I do remember a lot from my classwork).
Nareed
Nareed
September 4th, 2011 at 5:07:00 PM permalink

I wish I knew all of this stuff like Nareed.

I don't actually know anything about ancient restaurants.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2011 at 7:27:42 PM permalink
Palabra del día: GASTAR

I think the most common usage of today's word, gastar, means to spend. It can also mean to wear or waste.

In English the root "gast" means to do with the stomach. So I don't see a connection to gastar, but I'm sure Paco won't let me down.

Ejemplo time.

Dame tu dinero, lo quiero gastar. = Give me your money, I want to spend it.

The Bucket Chicken House existed in the 12th century, but it was re-established in 1864. Botin's has a certificate from Guiness Book of World Records. I should mention that while the restaurant was in Madrid, the original owner was French.

I guess I stand corrected.
Nareed
Nareed
September 5th, 2011 at 6:18:23 AM permalink

I think the most common usage of today's word, gastar, means to spend. It can also mean to wear or waste.

To wear, yes. To waste the word is desperdiciar

Quote:

In English the root "gast" means to do with the stomach. So I don't see a connection to gastar, but I'm sure Paco won't let me down.

That must be a Latin root. it applies to the digestive system, not only the stomach, in words like gastroenterology.

Quote:

Dame tu dinero, lo quiero gastar. = Give me your money, I want to spend it.

That's a peculiar way to ask for money. Otherwise the example is correct.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2011 at 7:25:49 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That's a peculiar way to ask for money.

I should introduce you to some American women I know.
Nareed
Nareed
September 5th, 2011 at 8:17:42 AM permalink

I should introduce you to some American women I know.

If I were to ask a man for money, I'd say something like "Can you please give me $xxx? I need to buy shoes to go with this handbag." That's a whole different thing :P
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 5th, 2011 at 9:50:10 AM permalink

The words appear to be a false cognate or amigo falso. Two words that look the same but do not have a common root word.

The English words that have to do with stomach like "gastric" come from the Greek word gaster (Gk) which means stomach. The Spanish word is from the Latin word vastare (Lt) (lay waste, ravage, devastate). We get the English word waste from "vastare".

The idea of spending money associated with waste, is both replacement of vital things after they wear out or are destroyed, but also includes the idea of laying waste to you bank account by being a spendthrift.

There must be a difference between expender and gastar. It appears that gastar is the more commonly used verb.

The verb comprar (to buy) seems less to be making much less judgement. It comes from the Latin word comparare (Lt) where we also get the English word compare. The implication is that you are making a decision based on comparative value, and less of a wasteful action.
Nareed
Nareed
September 5th, 2011 at 10:19:56 AM permalink

The words appear to be a false cognate or amigo falso. Two words that look the same but do not have a common root word.

How do you from cognate to friend?

Quote:

There must be a difference between expender and gastar. It appears that gastar is the more commonly used verb.

I've never heard nor read the word "expender" in my whole life, not in Spanish. There's "Expander," or "expandir," which menas "to expand" and has no connection to the issue at hand.

Quote:

The verb comprar (to buy) seems less to be making much less judgement. It comes from the Latin word comparare (Lt) where we also get the English word compare. The implication is that you are making a decision based on comparative value, and less of a wasteful action.

Are you sure? There is a Spanish word "compArar" which means "to compare." This leads to much confussion in online shopping sites that let you comapre products..

• Jump to: