Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 30th, 2012 at 7:08:57 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I don't dispute that, but Reverso says it also means "argue." In the context I found it, the word was used as a translation of argue.

I'm not disputing that. I merely said it also means "to discuss."

Ejemplo:

"Nos reunimos en el Pentágono para discutir estrategias." :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 30th, 2012 at 1:28:44 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I merely said it also means "to discuss."
Ejemplo: "Nos reunimos en el Pentágono para discutir estrategias." :)

It seems to me that a heated discussion is also an argument
English "discuss" comes from Latin "discutere" which means "to dash to pieces, agitate"
English "argue" comes from Latin "arguo" which means "show, prove, assert, declare, make clear, reprove, accuse, charge with, blame, censure, and denounce as false"

In Spanish the descendant verbs are discutir and argüir.

Quote: e Learn Spanish

La Diéresis - Ü
When the letter G precedes a U plus a hard vowel, the U and the vowel are both pronounced. The U is pronounced like an English W:
guasón
guapo

In order to obtain this W sound in front of a soft vowel, the Ü comes into play. The two dots over the U are called a dieresis and indicate that two adjacent vowels both need to be pronounced as a diphthong:
vergüenza
lingüística

Note: In Spanish, the dieresis is only found on the U, and it can only precede an E or I. When a U is followed by a hard vowel, as in guapo, the W sound is automatic. Remember that a U without dieresis + E or I just makes the G hard (lesson on hard/soft vowels); the dieresis is what indicates that the U has its own sound.

La Diéresis - Ü may be a feature of Castellano, and not of Latin American Spanish. Nareed will have to answer.
Nareed
Nareed
May 30th, 2012 at 1:35:26 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

La Diéresis - Ü may be a feature of Castellano, and not of Latin American Spanish. Nareed will have to answer.

We use the dots over the U, as well. But it only applies when the consonant is G.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 30th, 2012 at 8:08:57 PM permalink
Fecha: 31-05-12
Palabra: Rompecabezas

No, today's SWD doesn't mean "broken heads," it means puzzle. Personally, as a lover of puzzles, I'm a little offended at this one. I would like to think of puzzles as something that strengthens the mind, not breaks it.

Something that puzzles me is that Rompecabezas is the word for a single puzzle. Kind of like dios is the word for one god. Would the word for multiple puzzles be Rompecabezases?

Unlike English, I don't think there is a word for "to puzzle" in Spanish. If you wanted to say "I'm puzzled," I think it would be Estoy perplejo.

Are you puzzled yet?

Ejemplo time.

Intenté resolver el rompecabezas Eternidad II para meses, pero yo falté. = I tried to solve the Enternity II puzzle for months, but I failed.

For further reading on the Eternity II puzzle, please visit my Nov 18, 2008 Ask the Wizard column.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
May 30th, 2012 at 8:21:59 PM permalink

No, today's SWD doesn't mean "broken heads," it means puzzle.

Close. It means "jigsaw puzzle," specifically. I can be used colloquially to mean "puzzle," but that's rather rare.

Quote:

Something that puzzles me is that Rompecabezas is the word for a single puzzle. Kind of like dios is the word for one god. Would the word for multiple puzzles be Rompecabezases?

No, the plural is "rompecabezas" as well. Whats' the plural for "analysis"?

Quote:

Unlike English, I don't think there is a word for "to puzzle" in Spanish.

That's right. There's no noun for "puzzle" in Spanish either. The funny thing is that there is a puzzle section in many newspapers, often with crossword puzzles and Sudoku. Usually they're called things like "divertimientos," "acertijos" or other things. "Acertijo" does not mean "puzzle," either. It means "riddle."

Quote:

Intenté resolver el rompecabezas Eternidad II para meses, pero yo falté. = I tried to solve the Enternity II puzzle for months, but I failed.

Meaning aside: "...Eternidad II POR meses, pero yo FALLÉ."
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 30th, 2012 at 9:06:47 PM permalink

That's right. There's no noun for "puzzle" in Spanish either. The funny thing is that there is a puzzle section in many newspapers, often with crossword puzzles and Sudoku. Usually they're called things like "divertimientos," "acertijos" or other things. "Acertijo" does not mean "puzzle," either. It means "riddle."

The word "puzzle" is from an archaic sense meaning "high frequency".

If a puppy is "nuzzling" you, he is sticking his nose in your side repeatedly.
If someone is "puzzling" you, he is repeatedly posing many questions.
If you "guzzle" a drink you pour it repeatedly down your gullet.
If you "dazzle" someone you repeatedly put him in a daze.

The Old French word poser "put, place, propose," was a term used in debating, from Late Latin pausare "to halt, rest, pause". The word seems to have been influenced by Latin ponere which means "to place, to put, to lay".

So puzzle is related to Spanish pausar, and poner . But since the "-zzle" version of words is not from Latin, they were never used in Spanish.

------------
nuzzle was originally spelled as "nose +‎ -le"= nosle
puzzle was originally spelled as "pose +‎ -le" = pusle

I imagine the whole set of words can be a challenge to translate to Spanish. In English "grizzled" means having a lot of gray (gris is archaic)

puzzle
nuzzle
guzzle
dazzle
bedazzle
drizzle
embezzle
fizzle
frazzle
frizzle
grizzled
muzzle
nozzle
sizzle
swizzle
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 30th, 2012 at 9:07:03 PM permalink

Close. It means "jigsaw puzzle," specifically. I can be used colloquially to mean "puzzle," but that's rather rare.

According to Reverso, that is correct, but it can also mean a general puzzle.

Quote:

Whats' the plural for "analysis"?

Analyses.

Please don't ask what is the plural of data, or data is the plural of what? I'll come right out and say that I'm referring to the word "datum," which is a word only perfectionists use when trying to correct people saying "data." Maybe it is different in Australia, South Africa, and England, but in the US nobody ever says "datum," except to pick arguments over semantics. If you were to ask me what English word I hate the most, offhand I can't think of anything I detest more than that one.

Quote:

FALLÉ."

What was wrong with falté? Which verb tense is fallé?
Nareed
Nareed
May 30th, 2012 at 9:13:29 PM permalink

Analyses.

Show-off ;P

Quote:

What was wrong with falté? Which verb tense is fallé?

"Falté" comes from "faltar" which means "to miss" as in when you miss an appointment. Then you'd say "falté a la cita." It also means you're missing something, for example "me hace falta jengibre para completar la receta."

"Fallé" comes from "fallar," which does mean "to fail."
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 30th, 2012 at 9:20:58 PM permalink

I'll come right out and say that I'm referring to the word "datum," which is a word only perfectionists use when trying to correct people saying "data." Maybe it is different in Australia, South Africa, and England, but in the US nobody ever says "datum," except to pick arguments over semantics.

We used to use "datum" in the sense of geodesy, where we were referring to coordinates of an enemy target. The dark humor phrase "flaming datum" was commonly used in WWII for the position of an German submarine determined because one of our ships was going down in flames.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2012 at 6:15:46 AM permalink

We used to use "datum" in the sense of geodesy, where we were referring to coordinates of an enemy target.

This is the first legitimate usage of the word I've ever heard. Still, I would have just said "coordinates."

So, what is the story behind calling a puzzle, or a crossword, a head breaker?
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 6:27:38 AM permalink

Please don't ask what is the plural of data, or data is the plural of what?

Can I ask whether you know what datum Data was missing to complete his data?

I didn't think so ;)
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 7:03:56 AM permalink

So, what is the story behind calling a puzzle, or a crossword, a head breaker?

Nothing but speculation. Perhaps solving puzzles causes some people a headache, or they come to realize their own stupidity, and so...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2012 at 7:33:04 AM permalink

... or they come to realize their own stupidity, and so...

Are you suggesting because you can't solve the puzzle you beat your head against the wall, thus causing the broken head?
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 7:47:10 AM permalink

Are you suggesting because you can't solve the puzzle you beat your head against the wall, thus causing the broken head?

MOre that they feel their heads are breaking.

I've never seen enyone hit his head purposefuly against a wall, except in cartoons.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2012 at 7:57:16 AM permalink
Do they have the expression about beating your head against the wall if you can't solve a problem in Spanish-speaking countries?
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 8:13:40 AM permalink

Do they have the expression about beating your head against the wall if you can't solve a problem in Spanish-speaking countries?

No. But American cartoons are popular, and the motif isn't entirely uncommon in somelocal comic books, or so I've heard.

There is the expression "No me voy a romper la cabeza tratadno de resolver esto" = "I will not break my head trying to solve this" It can be used when facing a complicated problem, especially if it's not of one's doing.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2012 at 8:19:51 AM permalink

There is the expression "No me voy a romper la cabeza tratadno de resolver esto" = "I will not break my head trying to solve this" It can be used when facing a complicated problem, especially if it's not of one's doing.

Interesting. Here the expectation is that you will break your head trying to solve a problem. At least I have that expectation for myself. There will be blood all over the wall before I will face the indignity of asking for help.
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 8:31:28 AM permalink

There will be blood all over the wall before I will face the indignity of asking for help.

Or ask for directions? :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 31st, 2012 at 8:57:05 AM permalink

The English expression to "beat your head against the wall" is very old. It was first recorded in the 1500's. It must have been observed in mental patients.

Rompecabezas is the name of an Argentine film about middle aged sexuality.

Another old English expression (at least 400 years) is "kicking against the pricks"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2012 at 10:04:22 AM permalink
Here is a general question. At the Venetian they produce the company newsletter and other fliers in both English and Spanish. I've noticed that the Spanish versions are always done in a smaller font and/or there is less blank space. In other words fewer letters are used in English than Spanish. I suspect the originals are in English and somebody had to translate the Spanish version. Does the Spanish tend to expand because it is a translation, or does is generally take longer to communicate something in Spanish than English?
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 11:42:01 AM permalink

Does the Spanish tend to expand because it is a translation, or does is generally take longer to communicate something in Spanish than English?

It varies, but there are some English words that require a Spanish phrase to translate. A good rule of thumb is that terms developed in one language for one purpose, tend to translate into phrases in other languages.

But you can try a simple thing: how many of the translated books you bought in Spanish have more pages than the originals? I'm willing to bet for a smalle average difference.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 31st, 2012 at 12:11:55 PM permalink

Does the Spanish tend to expand because it is a translation, or does is generally take longer to communicate something in Spanish than English?

Just looking at the EU documents which are written in every language, it looks like the Spanish tends to be longer (on the order of 15%). I think they would strive to make these documents read as natural as possible in every language, so there is no bias as to original language.

In nearly every single paragraph there are more words and characters in Spanish than English.

English words characters Spanish words characters
Basic information on the European Union 6 34 Información básica sobre la Unión Europea 6 36
The EU is a unique economic and political partnership between 27 European countries that together cover much of the continent. 20 107 La UE es una asociación económica y política singular de 27 países europeos que, juntos, abarcan gran parte del continente. 20 104
It was created in the aftermath of the Second World War. The first steps were to foster economic cooperation: the idea being that countries who trade with one another become economically interdependent and so more likely to avoid conflict. 39 201 La UE se fundó después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Sus primeros pasos consistieron en impulsar la cooperación económica con la idea de que, a medida que aumenta la interdependencia económica de los países que comercian entre sí, disminuyen las posibilidades de conflicto entre ellos. 45 241
Since then, the EU has developed into a huge single market with the euro as its common currency. What began as a purely economic union has evolved into an organisation spanning all policy areas, from development aid to environment. 39 193 Con el transcurrir del tiempo, la UE se ha convertido en un enorme mercado único con una moneda común: el euro. Y lo que comenzó como una unión meramente económica ha evolucionado hasta llegar a ser una organización activa en todos los frentes políticos, desde la ayuda al desarrollo hasta el medio ambiente. 53 256
It has delivered half a century of peace, stability, and prosperity, helped raise living standards, and launched a single European currency. Thanks to the abolition of border controls between EU countries, people can travel freely throughout most of the continent. And it's also become much easier to live and work abroad in Europe. 53 280 Ha generado paz, estabilidad y prosperidad durante medio siglo, ha contribuido a elevar el nivel de vida y ha creado una moneda única europea. Gracias a la supresión de los controles fronterizos entre los países de la UE, ahora se puede viajar libremente por la mayor parte del continente. Y también es mucho más fácil vivir y trabajar en el extranjero dentro de Europa. 64 307
The EU is based on the rule of law. This means that everything that it does is founded on treaties, voluntarily and democratically agreed by all member countries. These binding agreements set out the EU's goals in its many areas of activity. 42 200 La UE se apoya en el Estado de Derecho. Esto significa que todas sus actividades se basan en los tratados, acordados voluntaria y democráticamente por todos los Estados miembros. Estos acuerdos vinculantes establecen los objetivos de la UE en sus numerosos ámbitos de actividad. 44 235
One of its main goals is to promote human rights both internally and around the world. Human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights: these are the core values of the EU. Since the 2009 signing of the Treaty of Lisbon, the EU's Charter of Fundamental Rights brings all these rights together in a single document. The EU's institutions are legally bound to uphold them, as are EU governments whenever they apply EU law. 80 383 Uno de los principales objetivos de la UE es promover los derechos humanos en su interior y en todo el mundo. Dignidad humana, libertad, democracia, igualdad, Estado de Derecho y respeto de los derechos humanos son sus valores fundamentales. Desde la firma del Tratado de Lisboa en 2009, la Carta de los Derechos Fundamentales de la UE reúne todos estos derechos en un único documento. Las instituciones de la UE están jurídicamente obligadas a defenderlos, al igual que los gobiernos nacionales cuando aplican la legislación de la UE. 88 448
The single market is the EU's main economic engine, enabling most goods, services, money and people to move freely. Another key objective is to develop this huge resource to ensure that Europeans can draw the maximum benefit. 37 189 El mercado único es el principal motor económico de la UE y hace que la mayoría de las mercancías, servicios, personas y capital puedan circular libremente. Otro de sus objetivos esenciales es desarrollar este enorme recurso para que los europeos puedan aprovecharlo al máximo. 44 234
As it continues to grow, the EU remains focused on making its governing institutions more transparent and democratic. More powers are being given to the directly elected European Parliament, while national parliaments are being given a greater role, working alongside the European institutions. In turn, European citizens have an ever-increasing number of channels for taking part in the political process. 60 347 Y mientras sigue creciendo, la UE continúa esforzándose por aumentar la transparencia de las instituciones que la gobiernan y hacerlas más democráticas. Así, el Parlamento Europeo, elegido directamente por los ciudadanos, aumenta sus competencias y los parlamentos nacionales adquieren más protagonismo al trabajar mano a mano con las instituciones europeas. Los ciudadanos europeos, a su vez, cuentan cada vez con más canales para participar en el proceso político. 68 399

EDIT

Even as I write this table, I have my doubts.

The English phrase "Since then" is written in Spanish as "Con el transcurrir del tiempo" (with the passage of time). It is possible this page was written in English first, and then translated to the other languages using more convoluted language in Spanish.

The phrase "Desde entonces" would be simpler.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 31st, 2012 at 12:35:30 PM permalink
Just as a side note, a lot of the "training" done by Google Translate is done using the European Union documents. It is interesting to see how Google Translate does with a paragraph.

EU document in English EU document in Polish Google Translate back to English
Since then, the EU has developed into a huge single market with the euro as its common currency.

What began as a purely economic union has evolved into an organisation spanning all policy areas, from development aid to environment.
Od tego czasu rozwój UE doprowadził do powstania ogromnego jednolitego rynku z euro jako wspólną walutą.

Organizacja, która na początku była wyłącznie unią gospodarczą, stopniowo zaczęła obejmować wszystkie obszary polityki, od pomocy rozwojowej po ochronę środowiska.
Since then, the development of the EU led to a huge single market of the euro as their common currency. 

The organization, which was only the beginning of an economic union, gradually began to include all policy areas, from development aid to the environment.
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2012 at 1:03:32 PM permalink

Just as a side note, a lot of the "training" done by Google Translate is done using the European Union documents. It is interesting to see how Google Translate does with a paragraph.

Do children play "broken telephone" (teléfono descompuesto) in the US? It's a simple game. You take a bunch of kids, about half a dozen to 15 or so, and whisper a simple story or a paragraph to the first child. She then whsipers the story to the second one, and so on till the end. The last child tells the story aloud. By then it may have a bit less than a passing ressemblance to the original. Usally the kids laugh very loudly.

It seems Google Translate is close to amstering one-player broken phone ;)
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
May 31st, 2012 at 1:48:24 PM permalink

Fecha: 31-05-12
Palabra: Rompecabezas

The plural is just rompecabezas.

Incidentally, the s in Dios comes from the Latin nominative singular form, Deus. That's unusual, as the normal procedure is to adopt the accusative form in -um, -am, or -em when singular (as -o, -a, or -e) or -os, -as, or -es when plural. But because the collapsed Roman empire was dominated by the Christian philosophical view of God as the "I am", an absolute singular of identity, the use of the subject form became standard. Cp. French Dieu and Italian Dio. The Spanish plural, when referring to extra-Biblical deities, would be dioses, "gods", or diosas, "goddesses".

This conundrum is an enigma wrapped in a riddle shrouded in unsolvable mystery. :)
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
May 31st, 2012 at 1:56:02 PM permalink

EU document in English EU document in Polish Google Translate back to English
Since then, the EU has developed into a huge single market with the euro as its common currency.

What began as a purely economic union has evolved into an organisation spanning all policy areas, from development aid to environment.
Od tego czasu rozwój UE doprowadzi³ do powstania ogromnego jednolitego rynku z euro jako wspóln¹ walut¹.

Organizacja, która na pocz¹tku by³a wy³¹cznie uni¹ gospodarcz¹, stopniowo zaczê³a obejmowaæ wszystkie obszary polityki, od pomocy rozwojowej po ochronê œrodowiska.
Since then, the development of the EU led to a huge single market of the euro as their common currency. 

The organization, which was only the beginning of an economic union, gradually began to include all policy areas, from development aid to the environment.

It looks like the phrase "która na pocz¹tku by³a wy³¹cznie uni¹ gospodarcz¹" which properly reads, " which in the beginning was merely an economic union" got distorted.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
May 31st, 2012 at 1:59:28 PM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

It looks like the phrase "która na pocz¹tku by³a wy³¹cznie uni¹ gospodarcz¹" which properly reads, " which in the beginning was merely an economic union" got distorted.

But not as badly as I distorted it trying to copy it in HTML. LMFAO!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2012 at 10:49:03 PM permalink
I would like to point out that the above post is the 3000th post in this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. Nareed and Paco have certainly been around since the beginning, and deserve lots of credit, but I welcome the new blood too. The more the merrier.

Fecha: 01-06-12
Palabra: constar

There is not a direct equivalent in English, but today's SWD means to be sure/apparent/obvious about something.

I think that the conjugation of constar may behave like gustar in some cases. Here is how I came across the word, Me consta que ..., which I believe translates to "It is obvious to me that..." However, why it isn't consto, I don't know.

Ejemplo time.

Consta que el Profesor Ciruela lo hizo en el vestíbulo con la cuerda. = It is obvious that Professor Plum did it in the hall with the rope.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
June 1st, 2012 at 6:25:44 AM permalink

Consta que el Profesor Ciruela lo hizo en el vestíbulo con la cuerda, "It is obvious that Professor Plum did it in the hall with the rope."

ciruela refers to any "plum" as a common noun. But shouldn't "Plum" as a surname (even fictional) from a foreign language be unchanged?

El Profesor Plum?
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
June 1st, 2012 at 6:39:20 AM permalink

Whats' the plural for "analysis"?

It's "analyses".
Nareed
Nareed
June 1st, 2012 at 6:40:53 AM permalink

I would like to point out that the above post is the 3000th post in this thread.

And very little of it has to do with gambling. I'm sure the suers will revolt as soon as somene tells them this :)

Quote:

There is not a direct equivalent in English, but today's SWD means to be sure/apparent/obvious about something.

That's a good rendering of the word into English.

Quote:

However, why it isn't consto, I don't know.

It's a verb that gets very little use.

Quote:

Ejemplo time.

Consta que el Profesor Ciruela lo hizo en el vestíbulo con la cuerda. = It is obvious that Professor Plum did it in the hall with the rope.

I don't see anything wrong in there at all. Well done.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
June 1st, 2012 at 6:55:11 AM permalink
Quote:

However, why it isn't consto, I don't know.

Latin used this verb, as constat, in exactly the same way. It was used as a form of "yes". Sic became preferred later.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 1st, 2012 at 7:00:07 AM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

ciruela refers to any "plum" as a common noun. But shouldn't "Plum" as a surname (even fictional) from a foreign language be unchanged?

I'd bet a pair of old socks that in the Spanish edition of Clue his name is Profesor Ciruela, although "plum" sounds better for a professor.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
June 1st, 2012 at 7:07:52 AM permalink
In Cluedo, the Spanish version of Clue,
The good professor is known as Dr. Mandarino.
Mrs Peacock is known as Profesora Rubio.
You owe me un par de calcetines viejos!
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Nareed
Nareed
June 1st, 2012 at 7:10:23 AM permalink
I've said before, and I stick by it, that proper names shouldn't be translated. But there are some exceptions. One is if the name is too ahrd to pronounce. Another is in fiction, if the name has any relevance to the story. And yet another is to capture the feel of a story or game.

I don't recall a Professor Plum in Clue (I ahven't played in ages), but I recalla Col. Mustard. In Spanish he was "El Coronel Mostaza." And that's appropriate for that game translation.
WongBo
WongBo
June 1st, 2012 at 7:13:05 AM permalink
In the original Cluedo, there in no Colonel Mustard.
There is Marques de Marina.

Sospechosos (The Suspects):
Srta Amapola (Miss Poppy/Miss Scarlet),
Marques de Marina (Marquis Navy/Colonel Mustard),
Sra. Prado (Mrs. Meadow/Mrs. White),
Sr. Pizarro (Mr. Blackboard/Mr. Green),
Profesora Rubio (Professor Blonde/Mrs. Peacock),
Dr. Mandarino (Dr. Orange/Professor Plum)

Armas (The Weapons):
Punal (Knife),
Candelabro (Candlestick),
Pistola (Revolver),
Cuerda (Rope),
Porra (Lead Pipe),
Llave (Wrench)

Aposentos (The Rooms):
Hall (Hall),
Terraza (Terrace/Lounge),
Comedor (Dining Room),
Cocina(Kitchen),
Salon (Hall/Ball Room),
Cuarto de Bano (Bathroom/Conservatory),
Dormitorio (Bedroom/Billiard Room),
Despacho (Office/Library),
Garaje (Garage/Study)

The solution envelope is labeled "Sobre del enigma"

On the box:
El Dr. Lemon ha sido asesinado. ?Tienen alguna pista?
Nareed
Nareed
June 1st, 2012 at 8:44:57 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

In the original Cluedo, there in no Colonel Mustard.
There is Marques de Marina.

That sounds like the Spaniard version.

When I played it, a long time ago, the game was called "¿Quien es el culpable?" Adn there definitely was a Coronel Mostaza.

I've seen it in stores now and then. Apparently now it's called "Clue: ¿Quien es el culpable?" But I haven't looked at it to see other details.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 1st, 2012 at 9:04:14 AM permalink
Thanks WongBo for the entire list of Spanish Clue pieces. However, you may regret it after this post.

So noted that I owe you a pair of old socks. Perhaps we can go double or nothing on something?

Marques de Marina (Marquis Navy/Colonel Mustard),

I thought a marina was a sailor/marine.

Sra. Prado (Mrs. Meadow/Mrs. White),

I thought the word for meadow was Vegas (por supuesto).

Sr. Pizarro (Mr. Blackboard/Mr. Green),

I thought it was a pizarra.

Dr. Mandarino (Dr. Orange/Professor Plum)

I think you mean a mandarin orange.

Punal (Knife),

I recently had navaja as the SWD, which is a sharp knife for purposes other than eating. Wouldn't this be the case for a knife used as an arma de homicidio?

Candelabro (Candlestick),

At least in my set the candlestick would hold just one candle. What do you call the fany ones that hold lots of candles, like the kind of Liberace's piano?

Porra (Lead Pipe),

I just had a argument with my tutor yesterday about how to say "pipe" in Spanish, especially the kind used in plumbling. We didn't seem to resolve it. In any case, I thought porrar means to bludgeon.

Llave (Wrench)

In other words, the same word as for "key"?

Hall (Hall),

I thought a hall was a vestibulo.

Despacho (Office/Library),

Just when I thought I understood the difference between an officina y despacho you throw this at me. I thought if it was a home office it is an officina, and in a place of business it is a despacho.

Sorry about all this. I should just made a whole series out of the Clue pieces for the SWD.
WongBo
WongBo
June 1st, 2012 at 9:27:33 AM permalink
as in english, there are multiple meanings for most of these words

marina
prado
mandarino
punal
candelabro
porra
llave
hall
despacho
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 1st, 2012 at 10:17:26 AM permalink

as in english, there are multiple meanings for most of these words

Yes, I understand that. After months of nagging, Nareed finally got me to quit using SpanishDict.com.

Sorry to hit you with several questions at once. How about just the one about the meadow. What is the difference between prado y vegas?
Nareed
Nareed
June 1st, 2012 at 10:34:02 AM permalink

Sorry to hit you with several questions at once. How about just the one about the meadow. What is the difference between prado y vegas?

For one thing, the only occasion where I've come across the word "vega" for meadows is in the name "Las Vegas." While "prado" is rather common.

Now, instead of putting all the rest in one post, why don't you pick all the other words in order for this thread, one each day? Just a suggestion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:09:10 AM permalink
Fecha: 02-06-12
Palabra: Puñal

Today we will continue our look at Clue pieces.

WongBo mentioned the Spanish edition used a puñal. This translates to dagger.

This got me to wondering what the difference is between a knife and a dagger. It seems to me that daggers are more or less symmetrical, with a double-edge blade. They are perfectly sized to stab vampires in the heart, which depending on legend is the only way to kill them. Daggers were a major plot point in the movie The Omen.

Source: eBay (you can buy this dagger for $7,480)

Upon checking an image of the Clue piece, it does indeed look like a dagger.

Source: leealumni.homestead.com

I wonder why they don't call it that in the English version. Probably because it is a word people only say on television and movies. So, perhaps they were trying to keep things realistic.

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a puñal y daga?

Ejemplo time.

El gimnasio de la escuela secundaria está infestada de vampiros y no puedo encontrar mi puñal. = The high school gym is infested with vampires and I can't find my dagger.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:46:57 AM permalink

It seems to me that daggers are more or less symmetrical, with a double-edge blade. They are perfectly sized to stab vampires in the heart, which depending on legend is the only way to kill them.

Doubly glad I haven't encountered any vampires lately; I thought you were supposed to use a wooden stake.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:49:37 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Doubly glad I haven't encountered any vampires lately; I thought you were supposed to use a wooden stake.

As I recall, that is how Buffy killed them. Otherwise, I think it depends on where the vampire is from. Other options I think I've heard are direct exposure to sunlight and dousing them with holy water. I should ask my daughter, she read all the Twilight books at least five times.
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:50:43 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Vampire
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 2nd, 2012 at 9:05:58 AM permalink

Upon checking an image of the Clue piece, it does indeed look like a dagger. I wonder why they don't call it that in the English version. Probably because it is a word people only say on television and movies. So, perhaps they were trying to keep things realistic.

In 1944, Anthony E. Pratt, an English solicitor's clerk, filed for a patent of his invention of a murder/mystery-themed game, originally named "Murder!" The game was originally invented as a new game to play during sometimes lengthy air raid drills in underground bunkers. Shortly thereafter, Pratt and his wife presented the game to Waddingtons' executive, Norman Watson, who immediately purchased the game and provided its trademark name of "Cluedo" (a play on "clue" and "Ludo", which is Latin for I play). Weapons are:

• Candlestick
  • Dagger (A Knife in North American editions, each represented by a respective depiction)
  • Lead Pipe (called Lead Piping in earlier UK editions)
  • Revolver (first depicted in the UK as a Dreyse M1907 semi-automatic pistol, and in North America as a Colt M1911 pistol.
    All current editions typically represent an Allan & Thurber Pepper-box revolver first depicted in the 1972 Clue edition.
  • Rope (originally represented by a natural fibre coiled piece of string, the standard edition now consists of molded plastic or metal)
  • Spanner (called Wrench in North American editions and depicted as a Monkey wrench, it may also be shown as an Open-ended spanner in some traditional UK versions)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 2nd, 2012 at 9:09:51 AM permalink
One of my favorite writers out there is Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope. As I mentioned, there are different ways according to where you are. Doc's method will work only in Albania and Hungary.

Here is what Adams has to say:

Quote: The Straight Dope

Sampiro - Albania - Stake through heart
Nachtzehrer - Bavaria - Place coin in mouth, decapitate with ax
Ogoljen - Bohemia - Bury at crossroads
Krvoijac - Bulgaria - Chain to grave with wild roses
Kathakano - Crete - Boil head in vinegar
Brukalaco - Greece - Cut off and burn head
Vampir - Hungary - Stake through heart, nail through temples
Dearg-dul - Ireland - Pile stones on grave
Vryolakas - Macedonia - Pour boiling oil on, drive nail through navel
Upier - Poland - Bury face downwards
Gierach - Prussia - Put poppy seeds in grave
Strigoiul - Rumania - Remove heart, cut in two; garlic in mouth, nail in head
Vlkoslak - Serbia - Cut off toes, drive nail through neck
Neuntoter - Saxony - Lemon in mouth
Vampiro - Spain - No known remedy

Source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/37/whats-the-best-way-to-kill-a-vampire.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 2nd, 2012 at 9:12:18 AM permalink
Quote: only1choice

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Vampire

Well, that article supports the idea of using a wooden stake on a vampire, but it also recommends a silver bullet through the heart. I thought that was for werewolves.

It surely is a good thing I don't have to deal with such creatures myself!
Nareed
Nareed
June 2nd, 2012 at 10:40:37 AM permalink

Palabra: Peñal

pUñal.

It's a generic term for a knife used as a weapon, as opposed to a knife used for cutting food or a surgical knife. It's also an insulting, demeaning way to refer to gay men.

Quote:

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a peñal y daga?

See above. A switchblade would qualify as a "pUñal" as much as a dagger.

Quote:

El gimnasio de la escuela secondaria está infestada de vampiros y no puedo encontrar mi peñal. = The high school gym is infested with vampires and I can't find my dagger.

SecUndaria and pUñal. Other than that it's all good.

BTW, can you kill a vampire if he's already dead?
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 2nd, 2012 at 12:02:50 PM permalink

pUñal.
It's a generic term for a knife used as a weapon, as opposed to a knife used for cutting food or a surgical knife.

Related words:
apuñalar - (verb) to stab
puño -fist ; fistful, handful, bunch; wristband; handle

Does "puño" have any sexual connotations? Is it ever a polite word?
  • Jump to: