Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 2nd, 2012 at 12:38:54 PM permalink
Thanks for the clarification on puñales.. So, I assume that a data daga is a term specifically for a dagger.

Speaking of switchblades, never buy one in Tijuana. I bought one there when I was about 15 that said "NATO military" or something like that on the side. It was a complete piece of junk. After about 20 openings the spring broke and the blade just knocked around loosely in the handle.

Finally, my daughter says that the proper way to kill a vampire, at least according to the Twilight books, is to burn it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 2nd, 2012 at 1:11:54 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Finally, my daughter says that the proper way to kill a vampire, at least according to the Twilight books, is to burn it.

Dang! I seem to have all of this stuff wrong! I thought that was how you dealt with heretics, like Joan of Arc.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 2nd, 2012 at 4:14:38 PM permalink

So, I assume that a data is a term specifically for a dagger.

daga = Cada una de las tongas o hileras horizontales de ladrillos que se forman en el horno para cocerlos.

It could also be a horizontal row of bricks for an oven.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 2nd, 2012 at 4:26:50 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Dang! I seem to have all of this stuff wrong! I thought that was how you dealt with heretics, like Joan of Arc.

In 1184, the Roman Catholic Synod of Verona legislated that burning was to be the official punishment for heresy. It was also believed that the condemned would have no body to be resurrected in the Afterlife.

Stephanie Myers created a new set of vampire lore for her books.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:15:46 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

daga = Cada una de las tongas o hileras horizontales de ladrillos que se forman en el horno para cocerlos.

Daga =
1 (=espada corta) dagger
2 (Caribe) (=machete) machete
Source: Reverso.

Fecha: 03-06-12
Palabra: conducto

Today we continue our look at Clue pieces in Spanish. One I'm having a hard time with is the word for "pipe," as in the kind that water moves through. Here are some words I've come across:

caño -- I think this is a musical pipe. I tried to confirm that by looking up "bagpipes," hoping to find caño in the term somewhere, but it is gaita.

oleoducto -- I think this would be a very big pipe, like the Alaska Pipeline.

cachimba, pipa -- The kind of pipe you smoke.

porra -- This is the word WongBo used for lead pipe," but I can't find that usage of it Reverso. According to that site, porra means a whole host of things, but none of them are a pipe.

tubo -- This word best translates to tube. However, in Spanish the word "tube" is used where English uses pipe, sometimes. For example, an organ pipe would be a tubo de órgano.

After eliminating those as possibilities, perhaps incorrectly, I claim that the correct word for the kind of pipe water travels through is conducto. However, a conducto isn't just for liquid. The word better translates to conduit, and thus could be used for a host of things, such as an air duct, canal, or process to accomplish something.

So, I claim the term for the "lead pipe" should be conducto de plomo. However, this seems so unsatisfying. I submit to the Academia Real Española that Spanish should have a word specifically for a round pipe that liquid travels through. Hopefully they are monitoring this thread for my useful suggestions.

Ejemplo time.

Me debes estar agradable, porque puede te golpeo con este conucto. = You better bet nice to me, because I might hit you with this pipe.

The Wizard and family at the Alaska Pipeline near Fairbanks in 2010.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:28:22 PM permalink
To be clear, When I listed the weapons,
the English was not meant to be a translation
as much as a reference to what each weapon was represented by
in the English language version of the game.
I think the translation of porra as truncheon is more accurate.
It corresponds to the lead pipe as a weapon for bludgeoning.
In Latin porrum refers to a leek (allium porrum), the vegetable.
I believe the shape of the plant with it's bulbous end
is the source for porra as a similarly shaped cudgel.
In España, porras are a type of churros, which are thicker and long and straight.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:37:53 PM permalink

caño -- I think this is a musical pipe. I tried to confirm that by looking up "bagpipes," hoping to find caño in the term somewhere, but it is gaita.

Correct on bagpipes. "Caño" is a pipe that carries waste. The chemical products used to remove obstructions from backe dup pies in sinks, toilets and such are known as "destapa-caños."

This is not to be confused with "cañA," which means reed or cane, as in sugar cane = caña de azúcar. Not cane as in a walking stick or a candy cane. The term for those is "bastón."

Quote:

oleoducto -- I think this would be a very big pipe, like the Alaska Pipeline.

"oleo" is a Latin word meaning "oil." An oil painting is known as "oleo." "Oleoducto" means a pipeline that carries oil and nothing else.

Quote:

cachimba, pipa -- The kind of pipe you smoke.

I'd never heard the first one. The second does mean a pipe you use for smoking, or a tanker truck (don't ask why).

Quote:

porra -- This is the word WongBo used for lead pipe," but I can't find that usage of it Reverso. According to that site, porra means a whole host of things, but none of them are a pipe.

The two main meanings for porra are "club" as in what you'd use to hit someone on the head with (not a golf club or a social club), and, curiously enough, "cheer" or "cheering squad."

Quote:

tubo -- This word best translates to tube. However, in Spanish the word "tube" is used where English uses pipe, sometimes. For example, an organ pipe would be a tubo de órgano.

That's the one you wanted.

Quote:

After eliminating those as possibilities, perhaps incorrectly, I claim that the correct word for the kind of pipe water travels through is conducto. However, a conducto isn't just for liquid. The word better translates to conduit, and thus could be used for a host of things, such as an air duct, canal, or process to accomplish something.

Right. in the case of an air duct, it can be called "ducto" in some cases by some people. I've never heard plumbing described as "conducto" in any way. You do hear it in reference to things like electrical conduits, as in the pipes laid in the walls of a building to carry wiring.

It's related tot he word "conductor," which these days means "driver," but in other times referred to a person who led a vehicle where it was supposed to go.

Quote:

Me debes estar agradable, porque puede te golpeo con este conucto. = You better bet nice to me, because I might hit you with this pipe.

You'd been doing better than that lately...

"Será mejor que me seas agradable, porque te puedo golpear con este tubo."

You may want to grab some tylenol first ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:49:12 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

bastón

Thanks for all your help above. Perhaps you're using a new keyboard, but whenever you write a Spanish word involving an accent or an ñ it looks like the word is having a seizure.
Nareed
Nareed
June 3rd, 2012 at 8:15:34 PM permalink

Thanks for all your help above.

You're welcome.

Quote:

Perhaps you're using a new keyboard, but whenever you write a Spanish word involving an accent or an ñ it looks like the word is having a seizure.

No. Same old, old, keyboard I've been using for the past three computers... When I type an "ñ" I see it, likewise with the accents. But when I posted they were well and truly FUBARed :)

I think it may be the current incarnation of Firefox...
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 4th, 2012 at 7:22:05 AM permalink

Daga =
1 (=espada corta) dagger
2 (Caribe) (=machete) machete
Source: Reverso.

The secondary definition for "daga" as a row of bricks is from DRAE, and other places. It is an Arabic based word.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 4th, 2012 at 4:39:59 PM permalink
Related word:

Clueless adjetivo
1. Sin pistas (not having found clue).
2. (Coloq.) Negado (incompetent).

In addition to clue, the word pista track or in aviation a runway. A related word is "autopista" for highway
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 4th, 2012 at 9:08:00 PM permalink
Fecha: 05-06-12
Palabra: Colega

One of the first Spanish word any Gringo learns is amigo. There are several words for "friend" in English, and deservedly so, as they all have cast the relationship in a different light.

In Spanish a similar word to amigo is colega. I tend to think is closer in meaning to "buddy" or "pal" than friend. In other words, a sign of affection towards somebody, but not necessarily somebody you know that well, or perhaps a term of affection as the Skipper had for Gilligan. I suppose if they spoke Spanish in Australia they would be saying Buenos días, colega instead of "G'day mate."

This is also a good time to mention Spanish pronunciation. If a g is followed by an a or e, then it makes an English "h" sound, otherwise a hard g, as in gustar.

Ejemplo time.

Colegito, que pasó con todos los plátanos? = Little buddy, what happened to all the bananas?
Nareed
Nareed
June 4th, 2012 at 9:29:26 PM permalink

In Spanish a similar word to amigo is colega. I tend to think is closer in meaning to "buddy" or "pal" than friend.

You're spared a lecture because two dictionaries agree with you.

The fact that I had to consult two dictionaries, though, tells you how surprised I was. The word is rather common, but I've never heard it used to mean anything other than "colleague."

That's it. No lecture.

Quote:

Colegito, que pasó con todos los plátanos? = Little buddy, what happened to all the bananas?

Granted the meaning, the word would be "coleguitA."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 4th, 2012 at 9:39:41 PM permalink

That's it. No lecture.

Yeah! How about leaving for recess a few minutes early?

Quote:

Colegito, que pasó con todos los plátanos?

May I second my own request to do something about the exploding Spanish characters? Perhaps going back to your old browser?
Nareed
Nareed
June 4th, 2012 at 9:52:12 PM permalink

May I second my own request to do something about the exploding Spanish characters? Perhaps going back to your old browser?

I think it's loading some odd character set when I visit certain websites...
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 4th, 2012 at 10:51:53 PM permalink

Granted the meaning, the word would be "coleguitA."

In the MADTV 3.5 minute Spanish farce they don't translate "little buddy".
Nareed
Nareed
June 5th, 2012 at 5:16:25 PM permalink
Testing:

Ññ, Áá, Éé, Íí, Óó, Úú Üü

Looks good. Then it's not Gmail that's the problem...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 5th, 2012 at 6:49:37 PM permalink

MADTV 3.5 minute Spanish farce they don't translate "little buddy".

They didn't translate lots of things. This makes me wonder if there was a real episode involving a globo de aire calor.

Ññ, Áá, Éé, Íí, Óó, Úú Üü

Yeah!
Nareed
Nareed
June 5th, 2012 at 7:07:12 PM permalink

This makes me wonder if there was a real episode involving a globo de aire calor.

Globo de aire CALIENTE.

You said "heat air balloon" rather than "hot air balloon." :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2012 at 6:08:18 AM permalink

You said "heat air balloon" rather than "hot air balloon." :)

Thanks. I've always wondered about the difference between color y caliente.

Fecha: 6-6-12
Palabra: Reventar

According to the dictionary today's SWD means burst or explode. However, where I encountered the word it meant "annoy." At this point you may be saying to yourself, I thought that fastidiar already covered "annoy." That too. I tend to think that reventar is more informal. Perhaps like saying something "rubs me the wrong way" in English. I'll leave it to the advanced readers to explain it better.

Gilligan, no le reventas a el Profesor. Él está tratando de construir un submarino. = Gilligan, don't bother the Professor. He is trying to build a submarine.
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 6:42:14 AM permalink

Thanks. I've always wondered about the difference between color y caliente.

"cAlor."

Quote:

According to the dictionary today's SWD means burst or explode. However, where I encountered the word it meant "annoy." At this point you may be saying to yourself, I thought that fastidiar already covered "annoy."

At this point I'm wondering whether that's Argentinian or Peruvian slang, actually. Because in Mexico the verb "reventar" is never used that way.

Quote:

Gilligan, no le reventas a el Profesor. Él está tratando de construir un submarino. = Gilligan, don't bother the Professor. He is trying to build a submarine.

"...no revientes aL Profesor..." The rest is ok.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2012 at 6:52:55 AM permalink

At this point I'm wondering whether that's Argentinian or Peruvian slang, actually. Because in Mexico the verb "reventar" is never used that way.

This comes from the book I showed you. Here is the whole sentence, Una cosa que me revienta de los viajes de Rowley es cuando regresa de alguno siempre me lo restriega por la cara. I assume that to means, "One thing that annoys me about Rowley's trips is when he returns from somewhere he always rubs it in my face."
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 7:06:42 AM permalink

This comes from the book I showed you. Here is the whole sentence, Una cosa que me revienta de los viajes de Rowley es cuando regresa de alguno siempre me lo restriega por la cara. I assume that to means, "One thing that annoys me about Rowley's trips is when he returns from somewhere he always rubs it in my face."

By local usage I would tranlsate it as "One thing I can't stand about..." or "One thing that really tears it about..."

I would take the original sentence to mean "One thing that blows me up," which of course doesn't make sense. And that's the reason the word "reventar" woulnd't be sued here in that sense, either. If I wanted to say "One thing that annoys me..." I would go with "Una cosa que me molesta..." or "Una cosa que no soporto..."
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 6th, 2012 at 7:30:31 AM permalink

The RAE gives the word no less than NINE colloquial definitions, some very country specific.

Even the verb ventar can be difficult: (intransitive) to blow (transitive) to sniff, to scent

In general "reventar" is a stronger verb than "fastidiar". Obviously you have to translate the verb, but I would avoid using it since it has so many different regional meanings. In El Salvador it means "to liquidate", and in Nicaragua it means "to charge an excessive price". In Costa Rica it implies violence. You may say something you don't mean to say.

Conjugation Rule: 'e' becomes an 'ie' in stressed syllables. Other verbs that use the same stem change rule are:

reventar - violently crush
cerrar - to close
comenzar - to begin, commence
pensar - to think
defender - to defend
entender - to understand, comprehend
tender - to spread, extend, stretch out
convertir - to convert
hervir - to boil
preferir - to prefer

reventar
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 6th, 2012 at 12:17:41 PM permalink

"One thing that annoys me about Rowley's trips is when he returns from somewhere he always rubs it in my face."

Miles de simpatizantes y afiliados del PSUC encabezados por su secretario general A Raiumundo han intentado reventar la procesiòn catolica del dia del Corpus Christi en la localidad barcelonesa de Sitges.

I am curious as to the background of the translator of your book. In most cases that I have found, the verb is associated with a very strong violent reaction whic is much stronger than "annoy". In the above case the communist sympathizers "broke up" the Catholic procession.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 6th, 2012 at 12:30:58 PM permalink

I am curious as to the background of the translator of your book.

I don't know. Several times my tutor has remarked that the way he translated things was not how people talk in Peru. Nareed has been through some of it and perhaps can comment.

This is a bit off topic, but a part I read recently was about digging a hole in the ground. At first he used agujero several times. However, half way through that story line, he suddenly switched over to hoyo, using that several times. I wasn't sure if he was trying to make some point about the hole, or just changed his mind half way through about which term to use.

Quote:

In most cases that I have found, the verb is associated with a very strong violent reaction whic is much stronger than "annoy". In the above case the communist sympathizers "broke up" the Catholic procession.

In the story he was quite annoyed, so a stronger term was probably intended.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 6th, 2012 at 12:48:09 PM permalink

I don't know. Several times my tutor has remarked that the way he translated things was not how people talk in Peru.

"Travesuras de la niña mala" (The Bad Girl, 2007) was written in Spanish first by a noted Peruvian author and member of the RAE. It might be a good example of a book to read which was written in Spanish first, and then translated into English .
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 1:21:24 PM permalink

I don't know. Several times my tutor has remarked that the way he translated things was not how people talk in Peru. Nareed has been through some of it and perhaps can comment.

I didn't discern any clear tendencies.

Quote:

At first he used agujero several times. However, half way through that story line, he suddenly switched over to hoyo, using that several times.

As a pure guess, he realized he'd used a word too amny times, so he changed toa synonim. then he sued that too many times. Or it might have been "corrected" by an editor.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 7th, 2012 at 6:46:07 AM permalink
Fecha: 07-06-12
Palabra: Ojear

Today's SWD means glance. It should not be confused with ver, which means to see, and mirar, which means to look at.

Ejemplo time.

Jengibre fue a la laguna para ir a bañarse en cueros. Sin embargo, solo le ojeaba a ella. = Ginger went to the lagoon to go skinny-dipping. However, I only glanced at her.

Please spare me the lecture about translating names. I think Jengibre sounds like a nice name. Besides, Nareed said they call the Skipper Capitán.
Nareed
Nareed
June 7th, 2012 at 6:52:37 AM permalink

Jengibre fue a la laguna para ir a bañarse en cueros. Sin embargo, solo le ojeaba a ella. = Ginger went to the lagoon to go skinny-dipping. However, I only glanced at her.

The "ir" in the first sentence is redundant, since you arleady covered the action with "fue." And "Sin embargo, solo lA ojeaba..."

Quote:

Please spare me the lecture about translating names. I think Jengibre sounds like a nice name. Besides, Nareed said they call the Skipper Capitán.

Would you settle for an explanation? Aside from the Skipper and the Professor, no one else had their name translated in that show's dubbed version. Besides, "Skipper" is not a given name in this case, but a title. Titles can be translated.

Second, the word "jengibre" in Spanish is used solely as the name of a spice. So it would be like calling someone "Tarragon," "Dill," "Mustard," Sesame," "Thyme," "Cilantro," etc.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 7th, 2012 at 10:33:26 AM permalink

The "ir" in the first sentence is redundant, since you arleady covered the action with "fue."

Would it be more correct to put everything in the preterite?
Ginger fue a la laguna y se bañó en desnuda.

My aunt, who is a bit of a Spanish scholar, suggested the parallel edition of short stories. As these stories are written in Spanish and translated into English, it would avoid the discussion of the proper Spanish word to translate the English. The book is also inexpensive so anyone who is interested can purchase an edition.
Penguin books
Nareed
Nareed
June 7th, 2012 at 11:35:23 AM permalink

Would it be more correct to put everything in the preterite?
Ginger fue a la laguna y se bañó en desnuda.

You said "Ginger went to the lagoon and bathed in the naked."

Here's what you want: Ginger went skinny-dipping in the lagoon = Ginger fue a la laguna a nadar desnuda.

Bañar=To bathe
Nadar=To swim

The problem is that "bañar" can also mean to frolick in the water, or to walk by the beach with water up to your knees, or things like that. A swimsuit in Spanish is "traje de baño." This perists by sheer force of habit, because the mental image is of a suit one wears specifically for the bathroom ro the tub! Some people lately use "traje de natación," which would translate as "swimming suit," especially in news reports. But that's longer, and longer expressions tend to give way to shorter ones (ie car rather than automobile, TV rather than television, phone rather than telephone, fridge, rather than refrigerator, etc).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 7th, 2012 at 4:04:10 PM permalink

My aunt, who is a bit of a Spanish scholar, suggested the parallel edition of short stories. As these stories are written in Spanish and translated into English, it would avoid the discussion of the proper Spanish word to translate the English. The book is also inexpensive so anyone who is interested can purchase an edition.

You have a point that it may be better to read something where the original is in Spanish, and then consult the English when I need help. However, one can still run into the same problems. For example, what if I saw the expression todo el mundo and didn't know what mundo meant. If I see "everybody" in the English then I might assume that mundo means "people" when it actually means "world."

I'm not saying your idea doesn't have merit, but that particular books seems to be translations of classic Spanish literature. That is not only going to be too difficult for me, but probably boring. I need something both enjoyable and easy to spend time with it. I don't need to learn Spanish and do so only because I enjoy it. Take that away and I'll quit in a plis plas.

When I was in Argentina I purchased some Mafalda books, which are original Spanish, but I haven't looked at them yet.

Image source: www.mafalda.net
Nareed
Nareed
June 7th, 2012 at 4:11:31 PM permalink

I'm not saying your idea doesn't have merit, but that particular books seems to be translations of classic Spanish literature. That is not only going to be too difficult for me, but probably boring. I need something both enjoyable and easy to spend time with it.

I think I told you I was impressed with your grasp of Spanish. As far as reading goes, you're doing very well so far. Your problem now, as I see it, lies with articulation. That gets better with practice, and in time it will help to read something a bit more complex than what you do now. But for now you're doing well, so why not keep at it? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and all that.

Quote:

When I was in Argentina I purchased some Mafalda books, which are original Spanish, but I haven't looked at them yet.

Oh, yeah, you did mention them and I forgot about them when we met. If anything gives you trouble there, it will be the 70s era politics which get a reference from time to time.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 7th, 2012 at 6:24:04 PM permalink

I'm not saying your idea doesn't have merit, but that particular books seems to be translations of classic Spanish literature. That is not only going to be too difficult for me, but probably boring. I need something both enjoyable and easy to spend time with it. I don't need to learn Spanish and do so only because I enjoy it. Take that away and I'll quit in a plis plas.

I asked her for the best idea in non-classical literature, and she said there are a range of short stories, many of them modern. Many of the classical books are on the internet. The problem is that very few contemporary Spanish books are translated into English.

Nobel prize winning writers are usually translated.

Mafalda cartoons are available on youtube, but many of them have minimal dialogue. Some are more talkative.
Nareed
Nareed
June 7th, 2012 at 7:05:57 PM permalink

Mafalda cartoons are available on youtube, but many of them have minimal dialogue. Some are more talkative.

There was a Mafalda movie back in the 80s. Because animation is seen as a children's medium, it left out the bits having more to do with society and politics. The books are far superior. In fact, all of Quino's work from that era is rather good. A lot of his one-off cartoons, and he has several such books, have no dialogue at all.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 7th, 2012 at 11:11:26 PM permalink
Thanks Nareed on the kind words and Paco for the suggestions on Spanish books. I have a pile of Spanish books yet to go through, so for now I'd prefer to work through those. My method has its flaws, but I'm going to stick with it for now.

Fecha: 08-06-12
Palabra: epistolar

Today's SWD means epistolary. For those who don't know what epistolary means (I just found out myself) it means the exchange of letters. In other words, epistolar means writing letters back and forth. That may not happen much these days with Email and forums (ahem) but it used to be quite common before the Internet.

Ejemplo time.

Para mi clase de Español, debo que epistolar con una otra estudiante de Madrid. = For my Spanish class I have to exchange letters with another student from Madrid.
Nareed
Nareed
June 8th, 2012 at 6:41:17 AM permalink

Thanks Nareed on the kind words and Paco for the suggestions on Spanish books.

You're welcome.

Quote:

Despite appearances, the word is an adjective rather than a verb. It means "related or belonging to a letter."

It's not a common word at all, yet I'd say almost all Mexican with a highschool education know it, because in highschool as aprt of Mexican history we read something called "La Epístola de Melchor Ocampo." I've no memory of what that is, but I recall the name and the meaning of the word "epístola." To the teen mind, it's a pun mine.

Quote:

Para mi clase de Español, debo que epistolar con una otra estudiante de Madrid. = For my Spanish class I have to exchange letters with another student from Madrid.

"... debo DE..." and "...una estudiante..." or "...otra estudiante..."

But of course an adjective doens't follow. It's an understandable mistake, given that the word looks like a verb. So to trasnalte the English: "Para mi clase de español, debo intercambair cartas con una estudiante de Madrid."
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 9th, 2012 at 7:29:00 AM permalink

Quote:

Despite appearances, the word is an adjective rather than a verb. It means "related or belonging to a letter." It's not a common word at all, yet I'd say almost all Mexican with a highschool education know it, because in highschool as aprt of Mexican history we read something called "La Epístola de Melchor Ocampo." I've no memory of what that is, but I recall the name and the meaning of the word "epístola."

La epistola de Melchor Ocampo is about marriage, and is part of a traditional marriage ceremony. Michoacán de Ocampo is an older name for the state of Michoacán.

While the DRAE says that epistolar is an adjective, there are some documents that say it can also be used as a verb. Needless to say that is an even more obscure use of an already obscure word.

ἐπιστολή in Greek (Transliteration epistolē) is usually only used in North America with reference to the bible. Even in King James version it is often simply translated as "letter". I tend to think of it as an "open letter" written for posterity rather than just for immediate usage.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 9th, 2012 at 8:11:17 AM permalink

La epistola de Melchor Ocampo is about marriage, and is part of a traditional marriage ceremony.

That would seem to imply that espitsolar can be a verb, with espistola the noun form. However, who cares. After this I'll probably never see the word again in my life.

Fecha: 08-06-12
Palabra: tope

Today's SWD has two primary meanings:

(1) The maximum or limit.
(2) A bump. In particular a physical one that serves as a barrier or impediment. For a bump on the head I think you would use chichón.

Ejemplo time.

Para manejarse demasiado rapido, se pusieron topes para limitar la velocidad en la calle. = To control speeding, they put speed bumps on the street.

I searched for a verb that means "to go fast" like the English "speed" but couldn't find one.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 9th, 2012 at 8:16:40 AM permalink
It is a very familiar word when you drive in Mexico.
Nareed
Nareed
June 9th, 2012 at 9:49:15 AM permalink

Para manejarse demasiado rapido, se pusieron topes para limitar la velocidad en la calle. = To control speeding, they put speed bumps on the street.

I searched for a verb that means "to go fast" like the English "speed" but couldn't find one.

There isn't one. However, your example says "For driving itself too fast...," or "In order to drive itself too fast..." Which would mean speed bumps were placed on the street to allow for speeding, not to prevent it.

Try this:

"Debido a que se manejaba demasiado rápido, se pusieron topes en la calle." or "Para controlar la velocidad, se pusieron topes en la calle."

There's no need to indicate the speed bumps are meant to limit speeding, as that is their one and only function (assuming the increase in traffic along with higher air pollution are indeed side effects and not the main goal)
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 10th, 2012 at 1:47:40 AM permalink

multar ="to fine"
-aron suffix is plural 3rd person past preterite

Lo multaron por exceso de velocidad.

They fined me for excess velocity. (literal translation)
They fined me for speeding. (closer to vernacular)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 11th, 2012 at 7:31:02 AM permalink
Fecha: 11-06-12
Palabra: Topar

Today's SWD means to run into. As far as I know, there is no equivalent single word in English.

A similar word is encontrar, which means to encounter. What is the difference?, you may be wondering. I think that topar implies more of an accidental encounter. Examples I've seen usually show topar having a negative outcome. Encontrar usually seems to be used in situations where the encounter was beneficial somehow. I'll leave it to the advanced readers to clean up after my mess and explain the real difference.

I might add that according to Reverso, topar can also mean to make a bet in some Spanish-speaking countries, including Mexico.

The question for the advanced readers is whether there is a connection between topar, and our last SWD tope?

Ejemplo time.

Me topado con una puta en el casino. = I ran into a hooker in the casino.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 11th, 2012 at 7:46:02 AM permalink
The DRAE says that the verb is derived from the similar sounding "choque" which means "bump". There is a modern dance style called the choque.

DRAE says the colloquial meaning of taking a bet is used in Peru.

Yes, 'tope' and 'topar' are related noun and verb.
Nareed
Nareed
June 11th, 2012 at 7:51:11 AM permalink

Today's SWD means to run into. As far as I know, there is no equivalent single word in English.

You know there's no Spanish word for "meet"?

Quote:

A similar word is encontrar, which means to encounter.

"Encontrar" also means "to find."

Quote:

Examples I've seen usually show topar having a negative outcome. Encontrar usually seems to be used in situations where the encounter was beneficial somehow. I'll leave it to the advanced readers to clean up after my mess and explain the real difference.

There's a difference in usage. You're likely to encounter "topar" when being given directions. A popular one is "Sigues derecho hasta topar con pared y das vuelta a la derecha." More or less this means "Go straight untilt he street ends and then turn right." This applies to streets that and in an intersection with another street, or two streets. In fact, that's how you find my house :)

Quote:

I might add that according to Reverso, topar can also mean to make a bet in some Spanish-speaking countries, including Mexico.

I've never heard it used that way.

Quote:

Me topado con una puta en el casino. = I ran into a hooker in the casino.

"Me HE Toapdo con...." or "Me topÉ con..."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 11th, 2012 at 3:22:32 PM permalink

A popular one is "Sigues derecho hasta topar con pared y das vuelta a la derecha." More or less this means "Go straight untilt he street ends and then turn right." This applies to streets that and in an intersection with another street, or two streets. In fact, that's how you find my house :)

You mention pared but not "wall" in the English. If you told me that in Spanish I would keep looking for the wall. What if the street came to the end at a T intersection and what was in front of you was a vacant lot or a shrine to the Virgin Guadalupe?

The way I would say it in English is "Go straight until the end of the street, and then turn right."
Nareed
Nareed
June 11th, 2012 at 3:32:56 PM permalink

You mention pared but not "wall" in the English.

Deliberately, too.

Quote:

If you told me that in Spanish I would keep looking for the wall. What if the street came to the end at a T intersection and what was in front of you was a vacant lot or a shrine to the Virgin Guadalupe?

A shrine or any other kind of buidling has walls, so they count as a wall. I'm less certain about a vacant lot, but you have to allow for cultural differences. I won't justify this by saying that most vacant lots have either a brick fence (a wall) or a wire fence on the side facing the street. Oh, if you encouter a cliff side at the end of a street, that's also a wall.

Which reminds me, don't ever try to drive in any of Mexico's City's suburbs without a pritned map. Not a GPS, etiher, though you can use one, but a detailed printed map. You'd be surprised, too, how many streets lack any name signs.

Quote:

The way I would say it in English is "Go straight until the end of the street, and then turn right."

Going from past experience, I should think you'd say "Head east until the end of the street and then turn right." Unless you ended with, "then turn north."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 11th, 2012 at 6:25:26 PM permalink

A shrine or any other kind of buidling has walls, so they count as a wall. I'm less certain about a vacant lot, but you have to allow for cultural differences. I won't justify this by saying that most vacant lots have either a brick fence (a wall) or a wire fence on the side facing the street. Oh, if you encouter a cliff side at the end of a street, that's also a wall.

I'm sure land in Mexico City is valuable and there is seldom a totally vacant lot. However, in San Felipe you do see that. I think developers overestimated its potential for expansion so you see roads that lead to nowhere or housing developments that never got past the point of flagging where where each individual lot is. There are many miles of these roads without a soul, or a wall, to be found.

To change the topic, I enjoy reading the Spanish version of Venetian company newsletters. I'd be interested in comments on these translations from the English:

cocktail server = coctelera
sexy = sexy

I tend to think these translations would annoy my former tutor. Aren't there pure Spanish words for these things, or did English take from Spanish?
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 11th, 2012 at 6:59:15 PM permalink

To change the topic, I enjoy reading the Spanish version of Venetian company newsletters. I'd be interested in comments on these translations from the English:
cocktail server = coctelera
sexy = sexy

I tend to think these translations would annoy my former tutor. Aren't there pure Spanish words for these things, or did English take from Spanish?

In the second case there is a Latin noun "sexus". The English and Spanish adjectives are the same, "sexy", but the Spanish noun would be "sexo".

In the first case, the word cocktail is only about 200 years old, and comes from French coquetier or "egg-cup". I guess both the English and Spanish words come from the French.

I thought the word coctelera referred to the equipment, and not the person.
  • Jump to: