Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 12th, 2012 at 9:32:41 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a grifo and a canilla?

Canilla is a regional dialect (I don't think it is used in Mexico). It literally means "little cane", but by inference it is a reed which carries water.

Grifo is from Latin grȳphus or in English griffin (A mythical beast having the body of a lion and the wings and head of an eagle). Presumably it is related to medieval waterspouts.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 12th, 2012 at 9:43:24 PM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a grifo and a canilla?

Ah, very simple. I know what "grifo" means. I've no idea what a "canilla" could possibly be.

BTW, in Mexico the word commonly used is "llave." This also means key, as in the object used to open a lock. If you wan tap water, yous ay "agua de la llave."

Quote:

When I hear grifo what comes to my mind is a boligrafo (pen). Does this imply a pen is like a faucet of ink?

No. I've no idea of the derivation of the word "grifo," but the suffix "grafo" is easy. it comes from the Greek "graphos," meaning to write. That's where words like "graphics" and "seismograph" come from, too.

More important, "bolígrafo" does not mean "pen." It means "ball-point pen." It's a combination, more or less, of the word "bola, meaning ball, and "graphos." As is well-known, ball-point pens use a tiny ball bearing to move ink from the resevoir to the paper.

The generic word for "pen" is "pluma." This also means "feather." The menaing goes back to the time when feathers, or quills, were used to write with ink.

Quote:

They often become one when I put one in my pocket. Funny how they never just start leaking just laying around doing nothing at home.

Because in your pocket the pen gets warm and the ink expands, which doesn't happen when they sit at home on top of a desk or inside a drawer. But leave one out in the sun someday. Of course, today's pens hardly ever leak anymore. I guess the ink formula has changed over the years.

Quote:

Can I also call a pen a tintagrifo? Sorry to get so off topic.

Please don't.

Quote:

Esto grifo goteando me está volviendo loco. = That dripping faucet is driving me crazy.

"EstE grifo esta goteando y me está volviendo loco."

That's a bit awkward, though. Try: "La gotera del grifo me está volviendo loco."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 13th, 2012 at 6:59:49 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Ah, very simple. I know what "grifo" means. I've no idea what a "canilla" could possibly be.

I think Nareed has stopped reading my posts. I said that "canilla" is related to the Latin word for "cane" and by extension it refers to "reeds". It is a regional word in Spanish for faucet. Directly from DRAE:

Arg., Bol., Par. y Ur. grifo (‖ llave para regular el paso de los líquidos).

So the Wizard's tutor may recognize that use of the word, but no one in North America.
Nareed
Nareed
February 13th, 2012 at 7:16:20 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think Nareed has stopped reading my posts. I said that "canilla" is related to the Latin word for "cane" and by extension it refers to "reeds". It is a regional word in Spanish for faucet.

I do read them. this time yours was posted while I was writing mine. Besides, I don't see a link between cane and reed. And the Spanish word for "cane" is "bastón," not "canilla."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 13th, 2012 at 8:18:15 AM permalink
In case anyone is wondering, I got canilla from my set of 1000 Spanish flash cards, which translated it as "faucet." After the poor reception it got here I threw that card away. It is not the first time I've suspected this set of cards to have a lot of antiquated or regional Spanish words in it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 13th, 2012 at 8:56:55 AM permalink

In case anyone is wondering, I got canilla from my set of 1000 Spanish flash cards, which translated it as "faucet." After the poor reception it got here I threw that card away. It is not the first time I've suspected this set of cards to have a lot of antiquated or regional Spanish words in it.

Well it is the word for faucet in Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay. They may not recognize "grifo". It is not the Spanish word for "cane", it is the Latin word for "cane" or "reed", so by extension anything that made of reed or cane; reed-pipe, flute; gondola; windpipe or faucet adopted the word.

It is somewhat difficult for Michael since it is not clear where he will be travelling. You have to be careful what dictionary you buy.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 13th, 2012 at 9:03:14 AM permalink
That dictionary of Chicano Spanish might have said the word for faucet is canilla. Here is what SpanishDict.com says:

canilla
feminine noun
1shinbone (informal) (espinilla); leg (pierna)
2bobbin (bobina) (peninsular Spanish)
3tap (grifo) (RPBr), faucet (United States)

Note definition #3. I assuming that means Chicano Spanish.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 13th, 2012 at 12:19:46 PM permalink

tap (grifo) (RPBr), faucet (United States)

I think that means tap is used in British English, and in the United States, but the word faucet is only used in the United States.

The RP mean River Plate Spanish or castellano rioplatense . So canilla is only used in that dialect, while grifo is used elsewhere.

Nareed
Nareed
February 13th, 2012 at 12:48:53 PM permalink
Ok, I'd never heard the word "canilla" before.

You can break Spanish up into three main variants: Spaniard, mexican and South American. I know little about "chicano," but that incorporates English as well as Spanish. Naturally, within these three variants there are sub-variants as well. Some variants are geographical, others have more to do with class. And of course this leaves out Central America and the odd Spanish-speaking areas around the world, like the Canary Islands.

So, I know Mexican Spanish. I do know some of the other two variants, through a few interactions, books, anecdotes, etc. So naturally I will be biased for the Mexican variant.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 13th, 2012 at 4:48:09 PM permalink

Ok, I'd never heard the word "canilla" before.

Well, this is what a sink looks like in Britain, which is virtually unheard of in America.

A standard American sink is what they call a mixed tap. They never use the word faucet.

Of course in Japan a faucet is more likely to have a digital temperature readout, so that you don't actually splash your face with cold water, or burn your hands.

I seem to think that a mixed tap was more common in Mexico, although in public toilets it was often cold water only.
Nareed
Nareed
February 13th, 2012 at 4:58:46 PM permalink

Well, this is what a sink looks like in Britain, which is virtually unheard of in America.

Not all sinks I saw in Egnland were like that, though some were. I've also seen them in other places, notably at a fancy hotel in Guanajuato way back in the 70s.

Quote:

A standard American sink is what they call a mixed tap.

In Mexico, too. Decorated sinks, liek that in your photo, are more lilkley to be found at Mexican restaurants and hotles in "colonial" cities like Guanajuato or Queretaro, and then only the more traditional one like "Real De Minas."

Quote:

Of course in Japan a faucet is more likely to have a digital temperature readout, so that you don't actually splash your face with cold water, or burn your hands.

I wouldn't mind that, but ti seems like an unnecessary expense. With the single handle faucets that are all the rage these days, you can see how far to the left (hot) the handle is anyway.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 14th, 2012 at 7:29:29 PM permalink
Fecha: 14 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: Joyas

In honor of Valentine's Day today's SWD means jewelry. As part of the commercialization of the holiday, requisite gifts have grown from chocolate in heart-shaped boxes and greeting cards to diamonds and other jewelry. I say it is all a conspiracy, but what can one voice accomplish?

A questions for the advanced readers is how does joyas differ from alhajas?

Yet another question is what do the Georgetown Hoyas refer to? I know that is spelled with an H, but isn't the pronunciation the same?

Ejemplo time.

Para el día de San Valentín tenía un amarillo diamante pequeño por mi esposa. Sin embargo, ella no le gustaba. = For Valentine's Day I got a small yellow diamond for my wife. However, she didn't like it.
Nareed
Nareed
February 14th, 2012 at 8:07:07 PM permalink

A questions for the advanced readers is how does joyas differ from alhajas?

They mean the same thing. At a guess one is derived from Latin and the other from Arabic. Other than that, nothing.

Quote:

Para el día de San Valentín tenía un amarillo diamante pequeño. Sin embargo, mi esposa no le gustaba. = For Valentine's Day I got a small yellow diamond for my wife. However, she didn't like it.

You actually said "For Valentine's day I had a yellow small diamond." And you didn't add "para mi esposa" tot he original sentence.

Now the obligatory "when I was learning English" portion of the post. When I was learning English I had a hard time with the word "got." It seemed redundant, for example, in the Beatles' song "For I have got another girl."

Anyway, "tener" means "to have," not "to get." The latter translates as "conseguir."

So, "Para el día de San Valentin le conseguí a mi esposa un pequeño diamante amarillo."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 14th, 2012 at 8:18:27 PM permalink

Now the obligatory "when I was learning English" portion of the post. When I was learning English I had a hard time with the word "got." It seemed redundant, for example, in the Beatles' song "For I have got another girl."

I admit people sometimes talk like that, but I don't think "For I have got another girl" is correct English. As you said, the "got" is redundant. As I kid, my mother was always correcting me for saying "got" too much, and I think it is a frequently incorrectly used word in the language.

It seems kids are also always getting correcting for saying "me" instead of "I." When these kids grow up they still maintain a fear of using the word "me," even when it is correct, lest their old mothers still scold them.

Anyway, "tener" means "to have," not "to get." The latter translates as "conseguir."

Yeah, I deserve some push ups for that error. For what it is worth I added a por mi esposa before you responded. As usual, I wasn't sure whether to use para or por.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 14th, 2012 at 8:45:17 PM permalink

They mean the same thing. At a guess one is derived from Latin and the other from Arabic. Other than that, nothing.

Yes, almost every word that starts with the letters "al" is from Arabic since al means "the" in Arabic. Including (surprisingly) "alcohol"( in arabic al-kuhul) which originally meant a cosmetic powder.

---------------

The English word "have" is used in two radically different ways. In one sense it means "tener", and in another sense it means "haber". There is also a difference in the past participle of "to get". In American English we generally say "gotten", while in British English they say "got".

So in American English it is proper to say "I have gotten drunk for the last time", while in British English you say "I have got drunk for the last time". So the phrase "I have gotten another girl" would be proper American English.

So I have got another girl is proper British English, but it naturally sounds redundant to a Spanish speaker. From the grammar of the sentence, the verb "have" is being used like a conjugation of haber. In Spanish it would be Yo he tenido un otra chica.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 14th, 2012 at 8:52:50 PM permalink
I suppose "I have got another girl" would be different from "I have another girl," because the former emphasizes the capturing of the girl. It seems to imply the action is more important than the girl, like he just wanted any girl, probably to forget about a previous one.

I retract my objection to it, but it still isn't how I would say it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 14th, 2012 at 9:01:18 PM permalink

it still isn't how I would say it.

In American English you would say "I got another girl" (simple past), or "I have gotten another girl" (present perfect).
Clearly the Beatles were also looking for a good word for the downbeat of the song.
Nareed
Nareed
February 14th, 2012 at 9:14:55 PM permalink

In Spanish it would be Yo he tenido un otra chica.

Actually that doesn't even make sense.

"He conseguido otra chica." That's the exact translation of "I have got another girl."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 14th, 2012 at 9:45:53 PM permalink
If I may change the topic, how would you translate this sentence, "No decían que andaban mal de dinero?"

And another, "Vamos a tirar la casa por la ventana."
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
February 14th, 2012 at 9:49:25 PM permalink
It would be kind of nice if the (ummm) Spanish speaking people here in the U.S., had an English word of the day....just sayin.

Ken
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 15th, 2012 at 6:44:13 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

It would be kind of nice if the (ummm) Spanish speaking people here in the U.S., had an English word of the day....just sayin.

Judging from your posts, I think you could stand to join the English classes with them. To use the above as an example:

(ummm) I won't even get into that.
Spanish-speaking should have a hyphen. The general rule is if you have two adjectives modifying the same noun you hyphenate them.
No comma after U.S.
Sayin should either have an apostrophe for the missing g or the g itself. Furthermore why do you need to add that clause? Of course that is what you're saying, you wrote it.
Nareed
Nareed
February 15th, 2012 at 6:57:29 AM permalink

If I may change the topic, how would you translate this sentence, "No decían que andaban mal de dinero?"

Didn't they say they had money troubles?

Quote:

And another, "Vamos a tirar la casa por la ventana."

That's slang for "We're going to throw a very expensive, very fancy party."

The literal translation is "We're going to throw the house out of the window," which makes no logical sense (isn't the window a part of the house?) The exact translation is "We're throwing the contents of the house out the window," which does make logical sense, but is otherwise meaningless absent some context to justify the action, right? But slang expressions are like that.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 15th, 2012 at 11:10:36 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

So far Nareed is the only native language Spanish speaker who regularly contributes, and she is already fluent in standard English. You are free to start a "vernacular English" thread.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 15th, 2012 at 11:50:55 AM permalink

That's slang for "We're going to throw a very expensive, very fancy party."

Is the phrase echar la casa por la ventana more or less common?

The verb echar has no direct cognates in English, so the verb used to translate it varies a lot. Almost every phrase below uses a different English verb.

echar un vistazo a (to glance at)
echar de menos a alguien (to miss someone)
echar abajo (to pull down)
echar la llave (to lock)
echar el freno (to put the brakes on)
echar a perder (to ruin or demolish)
echarse atrás (to back out)
echarse un novio (to get oneself a boyfriend)
echar ganas (to put forth much effort)
echar a suertes (to make a decision by random means such as tossing a coin or drawing straws)
echar el alto (to order someone to stop)
echar un ojo (to watch or look at)
echar balones fuera (to sidetrack)
echar las campanas al vuelo (to shout out the news)
echar el cierre (to close or shut down)
echar algo en falta (to miss something)
echar la buenaventura (to tell a fortune)
echar la vista atrás (to look back)
echar por tierra (to ruin or spoil)
echar una siesta (to take a nap or siesta)
echar sapos y culebras (to rant and rave)
echar una mirada (to take a look)
echar sal (to salt)
echar en saco roto (to do something in vain)
echar el resto (to go for broke)
echar un pulso (to challenge someone, to armwrestle)
echar pestes de alguien (to run somebody down)
echar una película (to show a film)
echar la primera papilla (to vomit)
echar una mano, echar un capote (to help out, give a hand)
echar leña al fuego (to add fuel to the fire)
echar el guante a alguien (to catch somebody)
echar una cana al aire (to let one's hair down)
echar una cabezada (to nap)
echar chispas (to give off sparks, to rant)
echar una bronca a alguien (to tell off someone)
echar agua al vino, echar agua a la leche (to water down)

We do say "throw your strategy out the window" or "throw the rules out the window" in English, but we are just as likely to say "throw caution to the wind". An old fashioned way to say you are going to spare no expense is to say you will "pull out all the stops" in a reference to "stops" in an old pipe organ.

Nareed
Nareed
February 15th, 2012 at 12:56:18 PM permalink

Is the phrase echar la casa por la ventana more or less common?

I'm not entirely sure what the exact wording is.

Quote:

The verb echar has no direct cognates in English, so the verb used to translate it varies a lot. Almost every phrase below uses a different English verb.

It means "to throw." It's used a lot in slang expresisons, however, and thus acquires different meanings.
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
February 15th, 2012 at 5:31:10 PM permalink

Judging from your posts, I think you could stand to join the English classes with them. To use the above as an example:

(ummm) I won't even get into that.
Spanish-speaking should have a hyphen. The general rule is if you have two adjectives modifying the same noun you hyphenate them.
No comma after U.S.
Sayin should either have an apostrophe for the missing g or the g itself. Furthermore why do you need to add that clause? Of course that is what you're saying, you wrote it.

I stand by my statement 100%. It always cracks me up....if you correct misspellings etc., somehow the message will change. (lol)

Its like saying....you misspelled 'the', therefore, your POINT is voided out.

Ken
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 15th, 2012 at 6:03:27 PM permalink
Thanks for the help with those phrases.

"No decían que andaban mal de dinero?" = Didn't they say they had money troubles?

I thought andar meant walk. Is the gist of the expression that without money you don't walk well, perhaps because you're not dressed well, or have any place important to walk to?

Regarding echar, that has got to be one of the most difficult words to translate from Spanish to English. It almost can't be defined by itself, you have to see what phrase it is in. Whenever I encounter it in a book I grit my teeth.
Nareed
Nareed
February 15th, 2012 at 6:29:28 PM permalink

Thanks for the help with those phrases.

You're welcome.

Quote:

I thought andar meant walk.

Yes, but you can't use the literal meaning for slang expressions. If you ask someone "what's up?" you're not literally asking what is positioned on top or above something else. In this case "andaban" comes to mean "estaban." You can also say "las cosas andan mal," meaning "things are going badly." That's closer to the original meaning, but it does not mean "things are walking badly."

So if you want a closer translation to the literal meaning of "andar," try: Didn't they say their finances were going badly?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 15th, 2012 at 6:57:13 PM permalink

If you ask someone "what's up?" you're not literally asking what is positioned on top or above something else.

Point taken. I think "up" must have all kinds of usages. Same with "run." With idiomatic "up" expressions, they all seem to have to do with a state of things. Like "dress up" or "catch up." Pasar comes to my mind, if forced to make a Spanish comparison.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 15th, 2012 at 10:26:37 PM permalink

Point taken. I think "up" must have all kinds of usages. Same with "run." With idiomatic "up" expressions, they all seem to have to do with a state of things. Like "dress up" or "catch up." Pasar comes to my mind, if forced to make a Spanish comparison.

How did Google do?

English Spanish (Google)
Give up renunciar
Stuck up Stuck up
Shut up callar
Up themselves Hasta ellos mismos
Thought up / think up Pensamiento arriba / pensar en
Put up poner
Upstairs arriba
Once upon a time Había una vez
Look up the number Busque el número
Giving me the head's up Darme la cabeza de
I won't put up with this No voy a tolerar esto
I'm fed up Estoy harto
I've had it up to here Lo he tenido hasta aquí
What's up with him anyway? ¿Qué pasa con él de todos modos?
What's he up to? ¿Qué se trae entre manos?
He's obviously a bit uppity today Obviamente es un poco arrogante de hoy
What's up? ¿Qué pasa?
Life has its ups and downs La vida tiene sus altibajos
I'm trying to get up in the world Estoy tratando de conseguir en el mundo
Listen up Escuchen
Back up Realice copias de seguridad
Turn up aparecer
Summon up Convocar a
Bring up criar
Knock up pelotear
Call up llamar
Dig up desenterrar
Ease up Afloja
Follow up Seguimiento
Dry up secarse
Camp it up Campamento para arriba
Took up tomó
Sop up absorber
Sell up Venta por
Soften up ablandar
Size up Tamaño de hasta
Slow up retardar
Seven Up (!!) Seven Up (¡!)
Tie up atar
Tails up colas de hasta
Type up escriba a máquina
Shore up apuntalar
Team up Forme un equipo
Tune up poner a punto
Tool up Herramienta de hasta
Sex up Sexo por
Stitch up coser
Stock up Almacene
Stoke up Nunca añada
Soup up sobrealimentar
Tape up cinta de
Buy up comprar
Eye up Ojo por
Fry up Freír hasta
Pry up levante
Pile up amontonarse
Pipe up Tubo de hasta
Rile up rile hasta
Times up Tiempo hasta
Take up tomar
Tear up arrancar
Warm up calentar
Jump up Salta hacia arriba
Send it up Envíalo a
Lift up levantar
Move up subir
Offer up ofrecer
Paste up pegar
Pull up levantar
Roll up Enrolle
Suck up aspirar
Bottoms up ¡apurar las copas
Wake up despertarse
Went up subió
Wise up caer en la cuenta
Wind up acabar
Get the wind up Encogerse a uno el ombligo
Zip up Comprime
Tidy up poner en orden
Clean up limpiar
Mess up estropear
Get your spirits up Obtener el ánimo
Throw up vomitar
Pass up dejar pasar
Get up levantarse
Come up subir
Speak up Habla
Heat up calentar
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 16th, 2012 at 5:11:58 AM permalink
Fecha: 16 de Febrero
Palabra: guiñar

Today's SWD means to wink. A related word is guiño, which means a wink (noun).

This makes me wonder if winking means the same thing in other cultures. Of course here it means "I'm kidding," or an affectionate way to say "hello." The winking emoticon is useful in conveying a joke when a reader might interpret something as being serious, although I think it is overused.

I looked up wink in a bible site and it seems to imply something more malicious than it does now.

Quote: Bible

Psalm 35:19
Do not let those gloat over me who are my enemies without cause; do not let those who hate me without reason maliciously wink the eye.

Proverbs 6:13
who winks maliciously with his eye, signals with his feet and motions with his fingers,

Proverbs 10:10
Whoever winks maliciously causes grief, and a chattering fool comes to ruin.

Proverbs 16:30
Whoever winks with their eye is plotting perversity; whoever purses their lips is bent on evil.

Ejemplo time

Guiñaba a ella, y ella giró su espalda a mi. = I winked at her, and she turned her back to me.
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2012 at 7:15:42 AM permalink

The winking emoticon is useful in conveying a joke when a reader might interpret something as being serious, although I think it is overused.

Do you? ;) I don't think so. ;).

Anwyay ;)

Quote:

Guiñaba a ella, y ella giró su espalda a mi. = I winked at her, and she turned her back to me.

The word doesn't get much usage, curiosuly neither does "blink," so it's hard for me to say whether the intent would carry over or not. But you conjugations are wrong, and you chose the wrong word later on.

"Guiñaba" means "I was blinking."

"Turned her back" is translated as "me dió la espalda."

So: "Le guiñÉ a ella, y me dió la espalda."

That's a bit formal, but very exact.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 16th, 2012 at 8:47:43 AM permalink

"Guiñaba" means "I was blinking."

I was going to use guiñé, but thought that the imperfect past tense was more appropriate, because I was telling a story, and it begged the question, "what did the girl do?" Meanwhile, I used the simple past tense for girar, because I wanted to story to come off that when my wink was rejected the story was over.

Quote:

"Turned her back" is translated as "me dió la espalda."

I know Spanish has a lot of idioms, but she didn't GIVE me her back.
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2012 at 9:31:26 AM permalink

I know Spanish has a lot of idioms, but she didn't GIVE me her back.

No, but she didn't twist her back, either.

It's one of those things that are ingrained from childhood. When you do anything to present your back to someone else, the expresison in Spanish is "dar la espalda."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 16th, 2012 at 10:29:52 AM permalink
I'm surprised Paco hasn't given us a picture of a pretty girl winking by now. If it were not for the PG rule my guess is he would choose the famous one of Bettie Page at the Christmas tree.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 16th, 2012 at 11:37:49 AM permalink

I looked up wink in a bible site and it seems to imply something more malicious than it does now.

The Hebrew word is certainly more angry than the English word :"winks":.
Transliteration:qarats:
to nip, pinch Original Word: קָרַץ
Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-rats')

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 16th, 2012 at 11:38:42 AM permalink

I'm surprised Paco hasn't given us a picture of a pretty girl winking by now. If it were not for the PG rule my guess is he would choose the famous one of Bettie Page at the Christmas tree.

Betty Page refused to be photographed in her later years. Not a question of vanity as much as wanted to be remembered how she appeared in those pin-ups.
Damn, I need to get a glass of ice water. Suddenly this room seems hotter.
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2012 at 11:50:06 AM permalink

So tell him to post Betty Boop instead ;)
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 16th, 2012 at 11:54:59 AM permalink

So tell him to post Betty Boop instead ;)

MEOW
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2012 at 11:57:11 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

MEOW

You don't like Betty Boop?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 16th, 2012 at 12:03:43 PM permalink
I prefer Betty Page . Especially when Betty Boop already has a boyfriend named " BIMBO" .
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 16th, 2012 at 12:46:33 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

I prefer Betty Page . Especially when Betty Boop already has a boyfriend named " BIMBO" .

Cartoon Betty Page in Spanish
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 16th, 2012 at 12:54:22 PM permalink
Welcome to the SWD Buzz. Stick around a while. Try to speak some Español while you're here.

To abide by my own rules, here is a link to the famous winking Bettie Page (nudity warning).

That Spanish Bettie looks to be in the style of Little Annie Fannie.
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2012 at 2:24:55 PM permalink

To abide by my own rules, here is a link to the famous winking Bettie Page.

May I suggest a nudity warning? Some poeple might get in trouble opening that at work ;)

Quote:

That Spanish Bettie looks to be in the style of Little Annie Fannie.

A comic book in Spanish is not necessarily drawn by Spanish or Latin artists. Translated comic books are big business. I've lost touch, but in the old days there were Spanish versions of all the Archie comics, Nancy, Dagwood & Blondie, and the plethora of Disney comics (I liked those) among many others.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 16th, 2012 at 3:29:18 PM permalink
In Buenos Aires I bought some Mafalda comic books but haven't had the chance to read them yet.
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2012 at 3:49:29 PM permalink

In Buenos Aires I bought some Mafalda comic books but haven't had the chance to read them yet.

I once had 10 or 12 Mafalda books. They're hilarious. But be warned, they're quite, quite dated. In the early ones, Mafalda makes a big deal about her family buying a TV. And there are references aplenty to Vietnam, U Thant and other 60s and 70s things. I had other Quino cartoon books as well. He did a great deal with cartoons devoid of any dialogue.

Anyway, you may want your tutor to fill you in on the background. What was Argentina like when Quino wrote them?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 16th, 2012 at 10:16:12 PM permalink
Fecha: 17 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: burbuja

Today's SWD means bubble. Some related words are espuma = foam and burbujear = make bubbles.

A question for the advanced readers is how does burbujear differ from borbotar.

Ejemplo time.

Me gusta relajarse en una bañera de burbujas. = I like to relax in a bubble bath.
Nareed
Nareed
February 17th, 2012 at 6:12:45 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is how does burbujear differ from borbotar.

A better question is how you keep coming up with such obscure words.

Quote:

Me gusta relajarse en una bañera de burbujas. = I like to relax in a bubble bath.

Close.

"Me gusta relajarME en un baño de burbujas."

BTW I've never seen a bubble bath anywhere other than on TV and the movies.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 17th, 2012 at 7:55:26 AM permalink

A better question is how you keep coming up with such obscure words.

Right from the dictionary. I have no idea which is common and which is obscure.

Quote:

BTW I've never seen a bubble bath anywhere other than on TV and the movies.

Kids like them here. Good ol' Mr. Bubble.
Nareed
Nareed
February 17th, 2012 at 11:40:38 AM permalink

Right from the dictionary. I have no idea which is common and which is obscure.

And you're readnig translations which may use obscure words on purpose... Oh, well.

Have you considered reading books written in Spanish rather than translations? That ought to give you a better sense of languege use (not a good one, naturally, as you're still faced with biases by the authors).

Quote:

Kids like them here. Good ol' Mr. Bubble.

I recall seeing a jar of that product in my cousin's bathroom. I still have neever seen one used.
  • Jump to: