Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 24th, 2012 at 1:51:10 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

We should seriously explore the possibility of a bilingual comedy routine :)

I'm glad you enjoy it. Most Spanish-speakers I torture up here with my Español horrible respond in English if they can.

Quote:

"Moza" is a rather archaic term and it means "girl." The male form, "mozo" means what you'd expect, but it also applies, sometimes, to male waiters and janitors.

Thanks. I probably saw mozo somewhere and assumed that moza meant waitress, which would make sense to me if I had anything to do with it.

Quote:

Do you tip more for a mixed drink than, say, a shot of whiskey?

Based on my 2/16 radio show, if it is a simple mixed drink like a Vodka & Tonic, then no. However, my wife always orders fancy effeminate drinks like piña coladas and strawberry daiquiris. Assuming they even agree to bring something that fancy, they usually make it out like it is a major bother, to obligate me to tip more.

Quote: Paco

mezcal=from Aztec (Nahuatl): metl (“maguey (agave)”) + ixcalli (“stew”).

Interesting. What other Aztec words are part of everyday Spanish now?

Trivia time! What aboriginal word was the first to be adopted into English?

Finally, I have another idiom: No faltaba más.

Also, I'm having trouble with the end of this sentence:

Si eras el que corría rápido de la clase, las tenía locas a todas.

Thanks for all your help, as always.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 24th, 2012 at 6:12:13 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Man, I have this vague recollection of a story about explorers asking the natives what they called the land/territory. The response was the native expression for "I don't understand you" or something like that, but that answer was taken as the English name for the land. I can't remember the word, but is that the aboriginal word you had in mind?

I wish I could remember such stories with all the details.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 24th, 2012 at 7:05:57 AM permalink

I'm glad you enjoy it. Most Spanish-speakers I torture up here with my Español horrible respond in English if they can.

That's far from enthusiastic agreement... Granted bilingual comedy is rare and has a limited market.

Quote:

Thanks. I probably saw mozo somewhere and assumed that moza meant waitress, which would make sense to me if I had anything to do with it.

Words are funny that way, and in other ways.

Quote:

Based on my 2/16 radio show, if it is a simple mixed drink like a Vodka & Tonic, then no. However, my wife always orders fancy effeminate drinks like piña coladas and strawberry daiquiris. Assuming they even agree to bring something that fancy, they usually make it out like it is a major bother, to obligate me to tip more.

You think Piña Colada is fancy? It's just cream of coconut, pineaple juice and rum, blended. I learned to make them at age six in Acapulco. A Martini is more complicated.

Quote:

Finally, I have another idiom: No faltaba más.

It can mean two things, depending on the tone of voice and attitude of the person saying it:

1) "By all means," or "Certainly I can acommodate your request," or "please go ahead," or a lot more. Basically it means you're graciously granting permission for something.

2) "Are you insane? Have you any idea what you're asking?" or maybe "have you lost what little was left of your mind, you insensitive prick!" In other words, you're being asked something outrageous and reacting angrily or sarcastically (or both). Remember one I used recently, "Y tu nieve de que sabor"? That's what it means.

Quote:

Also, I'm having trouble with the end of this sentence:

Si eras el que corría rápido de la clase, las tenía locas a todas.

You're not the only one. the first clause has no logical connection to the second. Literal translation: "If you were the one running quickly out of class, you drove the girls crazy." That sounds a lot like "If you wore the red sweater, the panda bear is pregnant."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
February 24th, 2012 at 7:11:07 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Man, I have this vague recollection of a story about explorers asking the natives what they called the land/territory. The response was the native expression for "I don't understand you" or something like that, but that answer was taken as the English name for the land. I can't remember the word, but is that the aboriginal word you had in mind?

I've heard two versions of that as a joke. here's one:

A Mexican is sight-seeing in new York City. Whenever he comes upon an imposing skyscraper, he asks some passer-by "Oye, ¿quien cosntruyó este edificio?" Always the answer is "Excuse me?"

Later on he sees a big funeral procession. Curious he asks one of the mourners "¿Quien es el difunto?" The mourner repleis "Excuse me?" And the Mexican says "¡Lastima! ¡tan buen arquitecto que era!"

It's not a particualrly good joke, but the translation is left as an exercise to the class ;)
Doc
Doc
February 24th, 2012 at 10:36:13 AM permalink

..."Oye, ¿quien cosntruyó este edificio?" ...

... the translation is left as an exercise to the class ;)

Typos in a language I don't know can really trip me up.

The story I was referring to was not (supposedly) a joke but a genuine misunderstanding that resulted in the English adopting a completely inappropriate name for a land. It may have been in Australia, but I can't remember the details of the story.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 24th, 2012 at 11:14:51 AM permalink

Interesting. What other Aztec words are part of everyday Spanish now?

The most prominent Aztec (Nahuatl) words in English are chocolate, tomato, coyote, avocado, chiclets, shack and chile or chili. Also words that sound native like achiote, avocado, cocoa , guacamole, jicama, mesquite, mezcal, mole, ocelot, and tamale.

Aboriginal is sometimes used to refer to non-Indo European tribes that lives in Europe before the IE invasion. Germans are part of the IE people. The aboriginal people would include Finns and Estonians and other tribes who did not survive to the present day. They had been living in the rest of northern Europe for thousands of years before the Germanic invasion.

But I am guessing that by first aboriginal word you mean Algonquian languages. So I am assuming it is raccoon, moose, skunk, chipmunk, wampum. tomahawk, or moccasin.

Mexican Word Nahuatl Word English Translation
Aguacate Ahuacatl Avocado
Amate Amatl paper made from bark
Asquel āskā-tl A small ant
Atole Atolli prehispanic drink popular in Mexico and Central America
Azteca Asteka From Aztlan
Cacahuate Tlacucahuatl Peanut
Cacles Cactli Shoes / Sandals
Camote Camotli Sweet potato
Capulín Kapol-in Cherry
Chamaco Chamahuac Young Boy
Chante Chāntli Home
Chapopote Chapopotli Tar
Chapulin chapol-in Grasshopper
Chayote Chayotli A type of Mexican squash
Chicle Chictli Gum
Chile Chilli chilli pepper
Chipotle Chilpoctli Chipotle (same name) type of red chile
Chiquito tzitz quit Very small
Chipotle xipoctli A type of chile
Chocolate Chocolatl Chocolate (same name)
Copal Copalli Incense made from tree resins
Coyote Coyotl Coyote (same name)
Cuate Cuatl Twin or slang for buddy
Elote ēlō-tl Corn on the Cob
Escuincle Itzcuintli Small Child (also is a hairless prehispanic dog)
Guacamole Ahuaca-molli Guacamole (same name)
Guajolote wueh-xōlō-tl Turkey
Huacal Huacalli Cage made from sticks
Huarache kwarachi Sandal (actually a word from purepecha)
Hule Olli Rubber
Jicama Xicamatl crispy, sweet, edible root from Mexico
Jícara Xicalli cup or cup made from Jicaro tree
Jitomate Xictomatl Tomato Variety
Mecate Mecatl Rope
Mescal Mexcalli Mescal (same name)
Mezquite Mizquitl Mesquite (same name)
Molcajete Molcaxitl Kitchen Mortar
Malacate malacatl Winch
Mayate Mayatl Beetle
Mole Molli Mexican Sauce containing chiles, chocolate, peanutes and other ingredients used usually on chicken, pork or beef
Moyote Moyotl Flying Beetle or Horse Fly
Milpa Milpa Agricultural field
Mitote Mitotiqui Cause an Uproar, racket
Nopal Nopalli Nopal a cactus which is eaten
Ocelote Ocelotl Ocelot similar to a jaguar but smaller
Olote Olotl Corn Husk - espiga del maíz (sin los granos)
Papalote Papalotl Kite and Windmill
Petaca Petlacalli Suitcase
Petate Petatl Weaved mattress
Peyote Peyotl Peyote (same name)
Popote Popotl Drinking Straw
Pozole Potzolli Traditional pre-Columbian soup or stew
Pulque Poliuhqui means spoiled but is an alcoholic drink with the same name
Tamale Tamalli Tamale (same name)
Tecolote Tecolotl Owl
Tequila Tequila (same name)
Tianguis Tianquiztli Market
Tlacuache Tlacuatzin Opossum
Tlapalería Type of hardware store sells paints and tools
Tocayo Toca-yō-tl Namesake
Tomate Tomatl Tomato (same name)
Zacate Saka-tl Grass, Weeds
Zopilote Tzopilotl Vulture
Zapote Tzapotl A tropical tree and its fruit
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 24th, 2012 at 12:45:13 PM permalink

A Mexican is sight-seeing in new York City. Whenever he comes upon an imposing skyscraper, he asks some passer-by
"Oye, ¿quien cosntruyó este edificio?" Always the answer is "Excuse me?"
Later on he sees a big funeral procession. Curious he asks one of the mourners "¿Quien es el difunto?" The mourner replies "Excuse me?" And the Mexican says "¡Lastima! ¡tan buen arquitecto que era!"
It's not a particualrly good joke, but the translation is left as an exercise to the class ;)

It sounds like a cleaned up version of a common story. I think every culture has a similar joke.

Quote: Ungua Joke

The newly elected Prime Minister is addressing a crowd in a small native village where English is not spoken by most of the inhabitants.
"We'll make sure you get new houses!" he proclaims.
"Ungua!" replies the crowd.
"And better roads!" he bellows.
"Ungua!" the crowd roars.
"Yes, we'll make sure you're better treated under my government than the previous PM" he solemnly announces.
"Ungua! Ungua!"
Pleased with the obvious excitement during his speech he steps off the stage and meets with a local guide and they go off to tour a ranch. As they enter the pasture, the chief says, "Be careful you don't step in the ungua, Mr. Prime Minister."

Nareed
Nareed
February 24th, 2012 at 1:01:13 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Typos in a language I don't know can really trip me up.

And yet you can recognize typos in this language you don't know. Cute :)

Quote:

The story I was referring to was not (supposedly) a joke but a genuine misunderstanding that resulted in the English adopting a completely inappropriate name for a land. It may have been in Australia, but I can't remember the details of the story.

It may have happened. Or it may be one of those urban legends that give rise to jokes.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 25th, 2012 at 7:59:55 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Can you expand on that? Where does the fuera come into play?

afuera == outside
fuera == imperfect subjunctive of verb "ser" (either first or third person)

If you look at a standard conjugation of "to be" in English, you tend to think of present and past (see table). But there is also the subjunctive mood in phrases such as "If I were you". The verb tense is not past tense, but rather a "speculative" statement. In English we use the past tense of the verb, but in Spanish (and all other Romance languages) they have special sets of endings.

Sheldon makes an observation about Penny failing to use of the subjunctive (while playing bongos) on this week's episode of "The Big Bang Theory" (about 16 minutes into the episode).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 25th, 2012 at 8:57:34 AM permalink
One can't just forward to that spot in question, CBS forces you to watch the commercials at certain points. So, to save others the trouble, here is the dialogue Paco is referring to.

Penny: I don't care if Richard Feinman was a purple leprechaun who lived in my butt.

Sheldon: Penny meant if he were a purple leprechaun. Penny forgot to use the subjunctive.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 25th, 2012 at 9:38:26 AM permalink
Penny: I don't care if Richard Feinman was a purple leprechaun who looked at my butt.
Sheldon: Penny meant if he were a purple leprechaun. Penny forgot to use the subjunctive.

In English the use of the subjunctive looks like you are using plural past tense instead of singular (even though the subject is singular). Also the failure to use it (Penny) still produces a perfectly understandable sentence.

In Spanish you have a present subjunctive, and technically you have two past tense subjunctives. But one of them has atrophied to the point where it just sounds highbrow (i.e. "fuera" and it's highbrow version "fuese" for the verb "be"). Furthermore, in Spanish, unlike English, the subjunctive is not optional.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 25th, 2012 at 10:56:25 AM permalink
Fecha: Feb 25, 2012
Palabra: Rayo

I think a previous SWD was relámpago = lightning. As I recall, the word rayo also came up. The search feature doesn't help us find where in this thread this came up, so forgive me for bringing up anything old. Anyway, as near as I can tell, relámpago refers to the flash of the lightning, and rayo refers to where it struck.

However, I think there are other usages for rayo, especially in idioms. It can also mean a beam or ray of light. What makes me bring it up is I'm having a hard time translating the qué rayos part of this sentence:

Y los chicos come Ronnie McCoy se rascan la cabeza, extrañados, preguntándose qué rayos ha sucedido.

I tend to think it is an expression of emphasis, like the English "damn." My best guess at the translation of the above would be.

And those boys like Ronnie McCoy scratch their head, surprised, asking themselves what the hell happened.

If I may push my luck, what specifically does extrañados mean. I'm having trouble with the "dos" part. It doesn't seem to be any conjugation of extrañar.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 25th, 2012 at 12:55:33 PM permalink

If I may push my luck, what specifically does extrañados mean. I'm having trouble with the "dos" part. It doesn't seem to be any conjugation of extrañar.

It's a participle, not a conjugation. You would use it with compound verbs like "We have surprised everyone in the room." The past participle can also be used as an adjective, as in this case.

expresar -( past participle) expresado
extrañar - ( past participle) extrañado

The idiom "qué rayos" does literally mean "which ray", but is translated as "what the hell".
My guess is that is similar to the English idiom "lightning never strikes in the same place twice".

---
English reminder.
Regular English verbs use the same ending for simple past, as they do for past participle.
We talked all night. We have talked until I was hoarse.
Irregular English verbs use a different ending.
I mowed the lawn. I have mown the lawn, many times before.

In Spanish the past participle is never the same as the simple past. But some verbs are irregular in that they don't end in "ando" or "iendo".
Nareed
Nareed
February 25th, 2012 at 1:04:18 PM permalink

However, I think there are other usages for rayo, especially in idioms.

Yes. But:

Quote:

It can also mean a beam or ray of light.

That's not an idiom.

Quote:

What makes me bring it up is I'm having a hard time translating the qué rayos part of this sentence:

Y los chicos come Ronnie McCoy se rascan la cabeza, extrañados, preguntándose qué rayos ha sucedido.

It's the Spanish way of saying "what the heck happened?" Which is a cleaned up, sort of, version of "¿que diablos ha pasado?" which naturally means "what eh hell happened?" if you want to dial it up, you say, at least in Mexico, "¿qué chingados pasó?" = "What the f*** happened?"

Quote:

If I may push my luck, what specifically does extrañados mean.

Bemused, bewildered, confused.

Quote:

I'm having trouble with the "dos" part. It doesn't seem to be any conjugation of extrañar.

Think of "extraño" meaning "strange."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 27th, 2012 at 5:03:15 PM permalink
Fecha: 27 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: maldecir

Today's SWD means to curse. A related word is maldición, which means a curse.

A question for the advanced reader is what is the difference between a maldición and a maleficio?

Ejemplo time.

No dices "siete" a la mesa de craps, o debes maldecir los dados. = Don't say "seven" at the craps table, or you'll curse the dice.
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
February 27th, 2012 at 5:16:06 PM permalink
No dices "siete" a la mesa de craps, o vas a maldecir los dados.

Recordate que el verbo deber es como "must" en ingles!

I believe that a maldición is exactelly what a curse is, instead of maleficio that is something bad in a most general way, for example something ilicit or against the law. Even something that will cause harm to others...
No bounce, no play.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 27th, 2012 at 5:49:22 PM permalink

Maldicion de Malinche written by Gabino Palomares and sung by Amparo Ochoa Y Gabino Palomares is one of the most famous protest songs written in Latin America in the 1970's.

History Present Day
Del mar los vieron llegar  Se nos quedó el maleficio 
mis hermanos emplumados de brindar al extranjero
Eran los hombres barbados  Nuestra fe, nuestra cultura, 
de la profecía esperada nuestro pan, nuestro dinero.
Se oyó la voz del monarca  Y les seguimos cambiando 
de que el dios había llegado. oro por cuentas de vidrio
Y les abrimos la puerta  Y damos nuestras riquezas 
por temor a lo ignorado. por sus espejos con brillo.
Iban montados en bestias  Hoy, en pleno siglo veinte 
como demonios del mal nos siguen llegando rubios
Iban con fuego en las manos  Y les abrimos la casa 
y cubiertos de metal. y les llamamos amigos.
Sólo el valor de unos cuantos  Pero si llega cansado 
les opuso resistencia un indio de andar la sierra
Y al mirar correr la sangre  Lo humillamos y lo vemos 
se llenaron de verguenza. como extraño por su tierra.
Porque los dioses ni comen  Tu, hipócrita que te muestras 
ni gozan con lo robado humilde ante el extranjero
Y cuando nos dimos cuenta  Pero te vuelves soberbio 
ya todo estaba acabado. con tus hermanos del pueblo.
Y en ese error entregamos  Oh, maldición de Malinche, 
la grandeza del pasado enfermedad del presente
Y en ese error nos quedamos  ¿Cuándo dejarás mi tierra..?
trescientos años esclavos. ¿cuándo harás libre a mi gente?

Video with translations in Portuguese and English
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 28th, 2012 at 8:51:12 AM permalink
Nareed

Is the phrase: victoria pírrica common in Mexico?
Nareed
Nareed
February 28th, 2012 at 9:26:09 AM permalink

Ejemplo time.

No dices "siete" a la mesa de craps, o debes maldecir los dados. = Don't say "seven" at the craps table, or you'll curse the dice.

I really ought to be working, but I just have to retranslate this one:

"You don't say "seven" to the craps table, or you must curse the dice."

I'll take on the rest later.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 28th, 2012 at 10:39:52 AM permalink

I think you need imperative mood for the first verb, and future tense for the second verb.

No digas 7 cerca la mesa de craps, o maldeciré los dados.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 28th, 2012 at 11:02:56 AM permalink

Como se dice, "Don't Feed the Trolls" en español?

Is it: No alimentar a los trolls ?

Does it mean the same thing in Mexico?
Nareed
Nareed
February 28th, 2012 at 11:52:04 AM permalink

No digas 7 cerca la mesa de craps, o maldeciré los dados.

"...or I will curse the dice."

That doesn't seem right.

"No digas 'siete' en la mesa de craps o maldecirás los dados."

But no one I know would say that. the right expression would go somethign like this: "No digas 'siete' en la mesa de craps porque le vas a echar la sal a los dados."

Now, that literally means "you're going to throw the salt on the dice," which is funnier than anything the Wizard has stumbled upon (just kidding). What it means is "you're going to jinx the dice."

You run into variants of "maldecir" most often in fiction, and mostly in translations. I keep sayig translators, or maybe editorial houses, like to clean up the language. But you see it in movies and TV shows, too. Suppose a character says "F**k!" it gets translated as "¡Maldición!" Which literally means "Damn it!" or "Damned!" Now, i don't care for vulgarity much in fiction (read Tom Clancy, he gets thick with that stuff), but sometimes it does work, if the audience is paying attention and yu sue it sparingly. I'd translate it as "¡Carajo!" (don't ask, I've no idea what it means) or "¡Chingados!"

In it's literal meaning, you see it in movies and books, too, as for example "La Maldición de la Momia" (No clue if a movie by that title exists, but it seems plausible).

I don't know how it differs from "Maleficio." I recall a long time ago there was en evening soap opera called "El Maleficio," but I don't watch that kind of, er, programming.
Nareed
Nareed
February 28th, 2012 at 11:54:48 AM permalink

Como se dice, "Don't Feed the Trolls" en español?

Is it: No alimentar a los trolls ?

Does it mean the same thing in Mexico?

No clue on both counts. Your translation is literally correct. I think "troll" the mythical creature can be translated as "Ogro," but that also means "Ogre."

It's been years since I've looked at a Spanish message board, and decades since I was active in one. When I was last active in one, the 9600 baud modem was a hot commodity, and you needed a university account to hook up to the internet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 28th, 2012 at 12:44:56 PM permalink

It's been years since I've looked at a Spanish message board, and decades since I was active in one. When I was last active in one, the 9600 baud modem was a hot commodity, and you needed a university account to hook up to the internet.

I've seen the following comments.

Quote: No olvides lo siguiente:

Cuando tratas de razonar con un troll, él gana;
cuando le gritas a un troll, él gana;
cuando insultas a un troll, él gana.
Lo único que un troll no soporta es que lo ignoren.
Ignorarlo constituye el mejor remedio para que se canse y se vaya.

I do want to highlight something I read, The verb soportar is a false friend, and does not mean support in the sense of to support somebody. The Spanish word for support in that sense is apoyar. Obviously it means can't stand in the guidance above.
Nareed
Nareed
February 29th, 2012 at 6:59:59 AM permalink

I've seen the following comments.

The fad of using English words with no exact tranalstion comes and goes. I don't mind using them when it's appropriate, for instance with the word "craps." Then, too, Spanish purists abound.

Quote:

I do want to highlight something I read, The verb soportar is a false friend, and does not mean support in the sense of to support somebody. The Spanish word for support in that sense is apoyar. Obviously it means can't stand in the guidance above.

You'll never learn a language if you keep using your native tongue as a reference. There are all sorts of words which sound similar but have widely different meanings. It's better to look at the context to try to deduce meaning, or even to look the meaning up in a dictionary.

If it's any consolation, Spanish speaker's ahve a devil fo a time with English. Near the office there's a car wash named "Ram Car's Wash." I've seen and heard worse, too.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 29th, 2012 at 10:21:48 AM permalink

You'll never learn a language if you keep using your native tongue as a reference. There are all sorts of words which sound similar but have widely different meanings. It's better to look at the context to try to deduce meaning, or even to look the meaning up in a dictionary.

If it's any consolation, Spanish speaker's ahve a devil fo a time with English.

If you look at this sentence in Spanish and try to translate into English
Lo único que un troll no soporta es que lo ignoren.
it is pretty clear from the context that "no soporta" means "can not stand" .

But if you started with the concept in English, we would probably say "no tolera" since it is closer to the English verb.

--------------------------
I have a second question: If I put the following English sentence into Google Translate:
The only thing a troll can not stand is being ignored.

I get the first sentence below. What is the difference between the first and second sentence?

(1) Lo único que un troll no soporta es ignorado.
(2) Lo único que un troll no soporta es que lo ignoren.
Nareed
Nareed
February 29th, 2012 at 10:32:45 AM permalink

But if you started with the concept in English, we would probably say "no tolera" since it is closer to the English verb.

If I started with english, I'd translate as "lo único que el troll no aguanta..."

Quote:

I get the first sentence below. What is the difference between the first and second sentence?

(1) Lo único que un troll no soporta es ignorado.
(2) Lo único que un troll no soporta es que lo ignoren.

1) The only thing a troll can't stand is ignored.
2) The only thing a troll can't stand is to be ignored.

Sentence one doesn't make sense, or about par for the course for machine translation as yet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 29th, 2012 at 6:17:59 PM permalink
Thanks for the help with maldicion. I was wondering if maldecir at its root means to say badly, i.e. "mal" and "decir." I find it interesting there is no direct word for "curse" in Spanish. There are a host of ways to curse yourself here. How would you translate the following in Spanish, "If you break a mirror you will be cursed for seven years." If breaking mirrors is not taboo in Mexico, what is?

I would have never thought that en would have been right for the preposition referring to the craps table. I would translated that back to English as "Don't say 'seven' on the craps table."
Nareed
Nareed
February 29th, 2012 at 6:47:42 PM permalink

Thanks for the help with maldicion.

My pleasure.

Quote:

I was wondering if maldecir at its root means to say badly, i.e. "mal" and "decir."

Possibly. Also possibly that goes back to the original Latin.

Quote:

I find it interesting there is no direct word for "curse" in Spanish. There are a host of ways to curse yourself here.

"Curse" as in saying "bad" words or using vulgarity, can be translated as "grosería" in Spanish. Otherwise, as in to palce a curse on someone, you're stuck with variants of "maldición."

Quote:

How would you translate the following in Spanish, "If you break a mirror you will be cursed for seven years." If breaking mirrors is not taboo in Mexico, what is?

I don't know if it's taboo or not. I try my best no to keep up with superstitions. But that one is well-known. you'd say "Si rompes el espejo tendrás siete años de mala suerte."

Quote:

I would have never thought that en would have been right for the preposition referring to the craps table. I would translated that back to English as "Don't say 'seven' on the craps table."

I've had trouble with english prepositions, too. But in this case "en" is right.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 29th, 2012 at 7:30:29 PM permalink

Possibly. Also possibly that goes back to the original Latin.

Latin spelling: maledico, from male (“wickedly, badly”) + dīcō (“say, speak”).

Here are some of the most common verbs derived from decir along with examples of their usage:
  1. bendecir (to bless, to say grace at a meal): Que Dios los bendiga hoy y siempre. (May God bless them today and forever.)
  2. maldecir (to curse): Eliseo maldijo a los niños que se burlaban de él. (Elisha cursed the children who were mocking him.)
  3. contradecir (to contradict): La madre se contradijo en numerosas ocasiones durante el testimonio. (The mother contradicted herself on numerous occasions during her testimony.)
  4. desdecir (to deny): Yo no me desdigo de nada. (I don't deny anything.)
  5. predecir (to predict): Dos semanas antes de saber que estaba embarazada, Britney predijo su maternidad en una canción. (Two weeks before knowing she was pregnant, Britney predicted her motherhood in a song.)

• condecir (This verb has some rare substandard usage as a substitute for conducir, "to conduct.")
  • interdecir (This verb is very seldom used, although a related noun form, interdicción, means "interdiction.")

===========
    Here is a rarely used English noun: imprecation: The act of invoking evil upon someone; a prayer that a curse or calamity may befall someone.
    From Latin imprecātio (“calling down of curses”), from imprecor (“call down, invoke”), from in- (“towards”) + precor (“pray”).

Another English noun: deprecation is more or less a synonym.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 29th, 2012 at 9:58:40 PM permalink
Fecha: 1 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Espabilar

Thanks for all the help with maldecir, but I think we've beaten that word pretty well.

Today's SWD means to wake up. Until now, the only word I knew for wake up was despertar. However, life would be too easy if there were just one word for something.

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference, if any, between despertar y espalibar.

Ejemplo time.

Espalibé temprano por que hay un guisante abajo de mí colchón. = I woke up early because there was a pea under my mattress.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 29th, 2012 at 10:31:16 PM permalink

Fecha: 1 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Espabilar

Thanks for all the help with maldecir, but I think we've beaten that word pretty well.

Today's SWD means to wake up. Until now, the only word I knew for wake up was despertar. However, life would be too easy if there were just one word for something.

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference, if any, between despertar y espalibar.

Ejemplo time.

Espalibé temprano por que hay un guisante abajo de mí colchón. = I woke up early because there was a pea under my mattress.

Hard to say. DRAE does not list them as synonyms, but other places list all four word words as synonyms despertar, espabilar, despabilar, desadormecer.

I think espabilar is more like estimular, vigorizar, or energizar where some outside force wakes you up. You would be more likely to use espabilar if you said that the shy quiet girl woke up her libido and tried to be sexy.

DRAE definitions

despertar : Dejar de dormir (stop sleeping)
espabilar : Salir del sueño (end of dreams)
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 10:25:56 AM permalink

Shhh! Odn't jinx the curse! ;)

Quote:

Ok, it means to shake sleep off, while "despertar" means "to wake up." The literal meaning of "espabilar," according to the dictionary, is to cut off the burnt ends of a wick or fuse. It comes from the noun "pabilo," meaning "wick." The word for "fuse," as in a trail of gun-powder or a wick-like fuse, is "mecha." The word for an electrical fuse is "fusible" (Just giving Paco something to think about...)

The word doesn't get much use. Not too long ago, it was common to tell someone obviously tired or distracted "¡Despabílate!" which pretty much means "Look alive!"

Quote:

Hmm. Aside from today's word, in Mexico a pea is called "chícharo," not "guisante." I know the latter is common in Spain and possibly elsewhere, but not here. Also, the fairy tale isn't well-known here.

Other than that, your sentence is fine. Except I'd ahve said "debajo de mi colchón." "Abajo" means "below" and "debajo" means "beneath." As I recall the fairy tale, the pea was beneath the matress, not below it. If that makes sense. BTW "beneath" and "underneath" tripped me up nicely too many a time.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 1st, 2012 at 12:15:38 PM permalink

Except I'd ahve said "debajo de mi colchón." "Abajo" means "below" and "debajo" means "beneath." As I recall the fairy tale, the pea was beneath the matress, not below it. If that makes sense. BTW "beneath" and "underneath" tripped me up nicely too many a time.

If you tell an American, the money is hidden "in back of the cupboard" he will pull it away from the wall to see if it is taped to the back. If you tell him it is "in the back of the cupboard" he will open the doors and look behind the dishes. If you tell a Brit the same phrases, he will look behind the dishes in both cases.

Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 12:18:41 PM permalink

DRAE definitions

despertar : Dejar de dormir (stop sleeping)
espabilar : Salir del sueño (end of dreams)

"Sueño" can mean either dream(s) or sleep. This is a bit complicated, so let's review:

Verb: dormir, to sleep

Noun: sueño, dream or sleep

However, if you want to say you're feeling sleepy, you'd say "tengo sueño."

So, "Salir del sueño" means "to exit sleep," or as I said before, "to shake off sleep."
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 12:27:34 PM permalink

If you tell an American, the money is hidden "in back of the cupboard" he will pull it away from the wall to see if it is taped to the back. If you tell him it is "in the back of the cupboard" he will open the doors and look behind the dishes. If you tell a Brit the same phrases, he will look behind the dishes in both cases.

If we meet, remind me to tell you about the time I tried to get a London cabbie to take me to Pall Mall St.

Anyway, "abajo del colchón" implies some undefined palce below the mattress. "Debajo del colchón," means between the mattress and the bed frame. As i recall, that's the traditional place to stash money, too :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 1st, 2012 at 1:54:49 PM permalink

If we meet, remind me to tell you about the time I tried to get a London cabbie to take me to Pall Mall St.

Pall Mall ,on a pronunciación site
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 2:34:14 PM permalink

Pall Mall ,on a pronunciación site

So you know the story. Well, that's one less thing to talk about ;)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 1st, 2012 at 3:39:42 PM permalink
Thanks. Good stuff. Not only did I learn about the difference between espabilar y despertar, but also chícharo y guisante and debajo y abajo.

No further comment; I think I get it.
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 3:44:45 PM permalink

Thanks. Good stuff.

You're welcome.

How did you manage in argentina and Mexico? I know what you wrote in your travelogues, but could you strike up a conversation, say, or follow one?
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 2nd, 2012 at 3:52:54 PM permalink

You're welcome. How did you manage in argentina and Mexico? I know what you wrote in your travelogues, but could you strike up a conversation, say, or follow one?

Judging by the final figures, U.S. Citizen travel to South America is almost non-existent (not much higher than the Middle East). I am guessing in Argentina they are reasonably happy to talk to a non-Latino American who is even trying to make an attempt at Spanish.

Total Overseas Travel is only 6% higher than visits to Mexico for the year. About 78% of the US Citizens who visit Mexico do so by ship or vehicle (only 22% by air).

U.S. CITIZEN TRAVEL TO INTERNATIONAL REGIONS 2011 (Final)
Regions Total % Change
Europe 10,825,923 3%
Caribbean 6,031,974 2%
Asia 4,135,648 5%
Central America 2,158,365 7%
South America 1,653,593 -2%
Middle East 1,346,896 7%
Oceania 504,833 0%
Africa 365,776 -5%
Total Overseas 27,023,008 3%
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 2nd, 2012 at 4:10:20 PM permalink

How did you manage in argentina and Mexico? I know what you wrote in your travelogues, but could you strike up a conversation, say, or follow one?

I could strike one up, and enjoyed doing so, but it never got very far. My best victims are those who can also speak English, so I can plop in an English word when necessary. Unfortunately, most of these people will respond entirely in English, not wanting to suffer through my terrible Spanish.
Nareed
Nareed
March 2nd, 2012 at 4:47:16 PM permalink

I could strike one up, and enjoyed doing so, but it never got very far.

In my expereince I've met few Americans who can speak Spanish well enough to hold up a conversation. One notable exception was the immigration official last time I went through McCarran. He even pronounced most words right.

So now you have a goal to strive for. :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 2nd, 2012 at 4:48:10 PM permalink

I could strike one up, and enjoyed doing so, but it never got very far.

Sometimes the teachers are deceptive. In school you are not permitted to use any English, and teachers are prohibited from responding in English even if they are fluent. But you get used to people who are speaking slowly, articulating every word, using a small vocabulary and always facing you. Then you go out to the street, and somebody mumbles something and you have no idea what they said.

I asked a girl at a dry cleaner to repeat something three times, and I was ashamed when I realized that she was saying something very simple like "it will be cleaned in two days". I just couldn't get past the rapid way she talked.

My aunt tells one story where she practiced for a week to talk to the mother of her daughter-in-law on the phone (who lives in the Dominican Republic). But the second my aunt started to speak, the mother passed the phone to her daughter. She had no idea someone was even trying to speak Spanish. She could tell by the accent that it was an English speaker, and she didn't even hear that the words were Spanish.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 2nd, 2012 at 4:59:46 PM permalink
Buenos Aires was not a good place for casual conversation. The people there talk fast and are always in a hurry. The gal who was showing me around spoke English so I didn't get much practice. I found Panama to be good for finding people to practice Spanish with, especially pretty girls at the blackjack tables looking for handouts.
Nareed
Nareed
March 2nd, 2012 at 5:05:20 PM permalink

Sometimes the teachers are deceptive.

Ha!

I have nothing but respect for my English teacher, but he was deceptive, too.

Case in point. At summer camp in Canada, the water-ski instructor asked me if I spoke English. I said yes, naturally. Here's what he asked next:

"How are you doing?"

And that stumped me.

We still got along well enough, and he did believe I could speak English. At that time, though, I needed help from more fluent speakers. By next year during a trip to Israel, the locals were impressed by my command of English <shrug>

I made it a point to learn how people spoke outside of language text books. Largely that meant watching TV and movies.
Doc
Doc
March 2nd, 2012 at 6:00:57 PM permalink

... Unfortunately, most of these people will respond entirely in English, not wanting to suffer through my terrible Spanish.

I have fairly good skills in English but none at all in any other language, so I can't speak here from personal experience. However, one of my sons has a Ph.D. in German. During his undergraduate years, he spent one summer in Vienna, Austria with some fellow students. He said it was nigh impossible to get any of the Austrians to speak German to the Americans -- they all wanted to practice their English with native speakers. He had a very nice summer but didn't feel that it really added much to his conversational skills in his major.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 2nd, 2012 at 11:05:58 PM permalink
Fecha: 3 de Marzo, 2012
SWD: Carecer

Today's SWD means to lack, as in to be missing/needing something.

A question for the advanced readers is how does carecer differ from faltar?

Ejemplo time.

Ella fue tan bonita que carecí el valor para le hablar. = She was so pretty I lacked the courage to talk to her.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
March 2nd, 2012 at 11:14:31 PM permalink
The Argentinian says that word is "for stuck up people" lol....

I guess carecer is more for personal traits or intangibles and faltar is more for physical items. (This is just my guess).
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 3rd, 2012 at 12:39:01 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is how does carecer differ from faltar?

Here is my best guess:

- Carecer its used followed by the preposition "de"
- Faltar is usually conjugated in the reflexive as "faltarse"

"carezco de el valor para le hablar" (I completely lack the courage to talk to a girl)
"me falta el valor para le hablar" (I lack enough courage to talk to her)

I get the feeling that faltar is more commonly used because it indicates "lack" of something as "insufficient". I have "insufficient money" or courage or strength. The verb carecer is "lack" in the sense of you never had the item of interest.

The DRAE gives as an example, carecen de escrúpulos or they are totally lacking in scruples.

I would think the correct verb in the example is "faltar", because you are having a temporary lack of courage.
  • Jump to: