Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1398
June 14th, 2011 at 8:04:24 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

You ought to be careful with internet sources. Remember a word that sounded like crab?

I know you can't take online sources too seriously. They don't call it the "World Wide Wasteland" for nothing. The reason I created my Odds site in 1997 was because most other gambling sites at the time were utter crap.

I admit the bulk of the evidence is on your side. However, before I admit defeat, here is where I got punta=bitch from.

Quote: Bueno, entonces...

¿Podría decirme donde está la panadería, punta? = Can you tell me where the bakery is, bitch

To see this translation directly, go to the quiz for lesson 7. You'll have to put in a name, and go all the way to the last question, number 10. This is one of the choices (obviously a wrong one) for the polite way to ask for a pastry. The English translation is given in the answers after you complete the quiz.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 14th, 2011 at 8:28:54 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I admit the bulk of the evidence is on your side. However, before I admit defeat, here is where I got punta=bitch from.

There's another mistake. In question 7, "When David says, "Estoy sensible", what does he mean?" and gives the correct answer as "sensitive," with the explanation "Estoy sensible" = I am sensitive.

That's wrong. The right form for that phrase is "Soy sensible," if you want to say "I am sensitive." "Estoy sensible" means something more akin to being temporarily too sensitive to pain. As when you get sunburn you might say "estoy sensible porque me quemé con el sol."

So there :P

The rest of the quiz was ok, except lots of people outside South America may not know what "alfajor" means. I'm also puzzled by "cañoncito," I assume it's the pastry in the photo.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 14th, 2011 at 9:08:11 AM permalink

I admit the bulk of the evidence is on your side. However, before I admit defeat, here is where I got punta=bitch from. To see this translation directly, go to the quiz for lesson 7. You'll have to put in a name, and go all the way to the last question, number 10. This is one of the choices (obviously a wrong one) for the polite way to ask for a pastry. The English translation is given in the answers after you complete the quiz.

Wizard,

You're pushing the limits on how I can answer this in PG-13, but I think I can do it.

Punta is not a vulgar word by any means. You will see it everywhere in Mexico on signs. Literally it means point, but is used for peninsulas, headland, or rock outcroppings. Punta Gorda is a city in Florida where my friend lives.

However, if you use it as a name to call a woman, then the word "bitch" is the extremely polite way to translate that word. The more anatomically correct way is to translate it as "point", but in the context of the sentence it is referring to a special part of a woman's "lady parts" (the cl--). It is, however, a completely different word than the much more common "puta". So the framers of the quiz should have pointed out that the sentence is not just casual, but vulgar.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
June 14th, 2011 at 9:50:09 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

You're pushing the limits on how I can answer this in PG-13, but I think I can do it.

Punta is not a vulgar word by any means. You will see it everywhere in Mexico on signs. Literally it means point, but is used for peninsulas, headland, or rock outcroppings. Punta Gorda is a city in Florida where my friend lives.

However, if you use it as a name to call a woman, then the word "bitch" is the extremely polite way to translate that word. The more anatomically correct way is to translate it as "point", but in the context of the sentence it is referring to a special part of a woman's "lady parts" (the cl--). It is, however, a completely different word than the much more common "puta". So the framers of the quiz should have pointed out that the sentence is not just casual, but vulgar.

Thanks, we now have a third opinion. So, to summarize, you say that punta refers to the part of a woman that rhymes with Delores? Would you disagree that puta means prostitute?

By the way, since the topic demands it, we can relax the PG-13 standard for this discussion. Say whatever you wish, as long as it is on topic.
Nareed
Nareed
June 14th, 2011 at 10:05:33 AM permalink

However, if you use it as a name to call a woman, then the word "bitch" is the extremely polite way to translate that word. The more anatomically correct way is to translate it as "point", but in the context of the sentence it is referring to a special part of a woman's "lady parts" (the cl--).

Where on Earth does it mean that?

I've never heard it used that way, and I do know a little about slang and curse words in South America and Spain. I'm less clear on central America.
Nareed
Nareed
June 14th, 2011 at 10:06:29 AM permalink

By the way, since the topic demands it, we can relax the PG-13 standard for this discussion. Say whatever you wish, as long as it is on topic.

"It's Good to be the King!" :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
June 14th, 2011 at 12:46:24 PM permalink

"It's Good to be the King!" :)

Yes, it is. I prefer to be known as el rey from now on.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 14th, 2011 at 12:57:07 PM permalink

Yes, it is. I prefer to be known as el rey from now on.

Okay. Will you sing this, then?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbiWnoWTto
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 14th, 2011 at 1:43:04 PM permalink

Where on Earth does it mean that?I've never heard it used that way, and I do know a little about slang and curse words in South America and Spain. I'm less clear on central America.

I did not get a clear slang definition, but here are some references.

Punta in Wikipedia says it is a type of music and dance popular in Central America. The unofficial etymology is said to be from West African language for "buttock".

Urban Dictionary is like Wikipedia of slang. People offer their definition of a slang word, and other people vote for or against the definition. In the case of the word punta there are 5 definitions which contradict each other.
The top three definitions ranked top to bottom are:
A) Spanish for "end":
1) A point of land extending into a body of water. (1 example) Punta Blanca - White point.
2) Rude term for the buttocks, usually female. (2 example) "What a punta!"
B) Punta is NOT a slang word. PUTA is a hispanic slang term for "whore". Punta is what non-hispanics think is Puta. For some reason they put the "N" in it.
(Example) "Did you hear that Puta call her a Punta? hahaaha Whats a Punta?"Spanish for "end":
C) The slang term, made up by Groucho-Won, that is commonly in conjunction with the one and only, Vagina.
(Example) She spread her legs and I observed her punta.
The last 2 definitions are jokes.
Also the similarly spelled word puntang is listed as of Tagalog origin which now means pussy.
The 4th definition is the Wikipedia definition
The 5th definition is a joke

So urban dictionary is unclear.

Another "expert" in Advicenators says many people would try and tell you punta means bitch but that is not correct. The true meaning is worse. Punta means durty pussy.
I am reluctant to take the final definition from someone who can't spelling "dirty".

Beanie Sigel What You Talkin Bout? (I Ain't Ya Average Cat) says specifically that punta is slang for vagina

Then I noticed that some websites like Spanish Answers repeatedly use the term punta del clitoris.

Then another use of the term punta clitoris.

So for slang references I found some that say (1) buttocks, (2) misspelled word puta, (3) male genitalia, (4) female genitalia, (5) bitch. But the term "punta del clitoris" kept showing up in several places. It seemed like the most logical explanation of why the word would mean vagina.

The words have to come from somewhere, and it has to make some kind of sense. The word "bitch" is from Old English "bicce " and it means "female of the dog". So the word existed in that form for hundreds of years before it was first applied as a term of contempt towards women (about 6 centuries ago).

The obvious literal word for "bitch" in Spanish is "perra". Enough references were found that said specifically punta=vagina, and there seems to be an obvious connection to the point of a vagina.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
June 14th, 2011 at 3:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Okay. Will you sing this, then?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbiWnoWTto

Get me drunk enough, and give the lyrics, and I'd be happy to. Somebody is going to post a picture of me singing karaoke any day now.

Then I noticed that some websites like Spanish Answers repeatedly use the term punta del clitoris.

Good answer, thanks. Me he estado preguntando toda mi vida, pero todavía no sé dónde está el punta del clitoris.

• Jump to: