Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 19th, 2012 at 8:13:50 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Now that I think about it I should learn some more Spanish words for big sins so I'm not giving out a Hail Mary for murder.

Just remember that molestar does not mean "to molest". It means to bother. The reflexive verb molestarse means to be bothered.

Types of Crime
arson -incendio premeditado
assault - asalto
assault - agresión
blackmail - chantaje
burglary - robo con allanamiento de morada
fraud - fraude
kidnap - secuestro
to kidnap - secuestrar
mugging - asalto
shoplift - hurtar en tiendas

Types of Criminals
hooligan - gamberro
mugger - asaltante
murderer - asesino
robber - ladrón
smuggler - contrabandista
terrorist - terrorista
thief - ladrón
vandal - vándalo

Crime Verbs
to arrest - arrestar
to arrest - detener
to break in - entrar a la fuerza
to break out - fugarse
to escape - escaparse
to investigate - investigar
to kill - matar
to rob - robar
to steal - robar
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
March 19th, 2012 at 8:34:35 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Just remember that molestar does not mean "to molest". It means to bother.

Speaking of crime and false cognates, another one to be careful of is violar, which as expected does mean "violate." However, it also means rape. In all seriousness, I think rape is deserving of its own word. How would the following be translated into Spanish, "Don't leave the window unlocked, because there have been rapes in this neighborhood."

Actually this is a very appropriate word for me to learn in Spanish as the Confession season is really heating up. I have three huge penance services this week and literally thousands of Catholics always come out of the woodwork to go to Confession before Easter. Every once and a while someone will confess in Spanish and begin exactly as you began the ejemplo. We have a shortage of Spanish speaking priests in our area. Anyway I will patiently listen, give a light penance, and give absolution in English. Now that I think about it I should learn some more Spanish words for big sins so I'm not giving out a Hail Mary for murder. Peace

Thanks for dropping by Padre. At the risk of going off topic, who do you confess to, and do you give communion to yourself? Does being bilingual help in job advancement in your field? I hear the pope, and past popes, could speak several languages.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 9:01:12 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I hear the pope, and past popes, could speak several languages.

Pope John Paul II became fluent in 8 languages and could phonetically speak 25 additional languages.
Benedict speaks French and Italian fluently (plus his native German. He also has a very good command of Latin and speaks English and Spanish adequately. He has some knowledge of Portuguese. He can read Ancient Greek and biblical Hebrew.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 19th, 2012 at 9:10:36 AM permalink
Funny how the brain works. Some people seem gifted at picking up languages easily. I am definitely not one of them.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 19th, 2012 at 9:13:49 AM permalink

would the following be translated into Spanish, "Don't leave the window unlocked, because there have been rapes in this neighborhood."

"No dejes abierta la ventana, porque ha habido muchas violaciones en el vecindario."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 9:35:11 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

el vecindario

Do you ever use the word "barrio" which is popular in the USA?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 19th, 2012 at 9:37:39 AM permalink

"No dejes abierta la ventana, porque ha habido muchas violaciones en el vecindario."

If someone told me that I would wonder, "violations of what?" I wouldn't rule out playing music too late, for which I would close the window to keep out the noise.
Nareed
Nareed
March 19th, 2012 at 9:42:12 AM permalink

Do you ever use the word "barrio" which is popular in the USA?

I don't even use "vecindario." Most people here would say "la colonia" or "el rumbo."
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 10:03:44 AM permalink

If someone told me that I would wonder, "violations of what?" I wouldn't rule out playing music too late, for which I would close the window to keep out the noise.

I think the noun estupro is unambiguous for rape.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 19th, 2012 at 10:06:45 AM permalink

I think the noun estupro is unambiguous for rape.

SpanishDict.com shows the primary definition of esturpro is rape of a minor. I'm more interested in a general term.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 10:15:31 AM permalink

The primary definition of esturpro is rape of a minor. I'm more interested in a general term.

Sorry, that wasn't in the dictionary I looked at. The DRAE is even more confusing, as the verb can be confused with the noun for a site where you plant Violets.

violación- Acción y efecto de violar.

violar.(Del lat. violāre).
1. tr. Infringir o quebrantar una ley, un tratado, un precepto, una promesa, etc.
2. tr. Tener acceso carnal con alguien en contra de su voluntad o cuando se halla privado de sentido o discernimiento.
3. tr. Profanar un lugar sagrado, ejecutando en él ciertos actos determinados por el derecho canónico.
4. tr. Ajar o deslucir algo.

violar(De viola).
1. m. Sitio plantado de violetas.

The Latin wore rapere was used for "sexual violation," but only very rarely; the usual Latin word being stuprum, literally "disgrace."

Sense of "sexual violation or ravishing of a woman" first recorded in English as a noun, late 15c. The verb in this sense is from 1570s. Rapist is from 1883.
Nareed
Nareed
March 19th, 2012 at 10:27:54 AM permalink
"Estupro" is a legal term for statutory rape.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 10:56:10 AM permalink

"Estupro" is a legal term for statutory rape.

Latin rapio has descendants:
French: ravir
Italian: rapire
Romanian: răpi
English: rape, rapture, ravish

For some reason the word didn't produce a Spanish descendant. It's interesting how some of the Latin language was lost in the various Romance languages.

Latin stuprum has descendants
French: stupre
Italian: stupro
Portuguese: estupro
Spanish: estupro
Catalan: estupre

but nothing in English.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 19th, 2012 at 4:32:21 PM permalink
Sorry to change the topic, but I wrote a review of the movie La Casa de mi Padre yesterday. I'm not sure if nobody noticed or nobody cared.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 19th, 2012 at 4:43:08 PM permalink

Sorry to change the topic, but I wrote a review of the movie La Casa de mi Padre yesterday. I'm not sure if nobody noticed or nobody cared.

You should have posted it on the thread about the movie.

Good review, by the way.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
March 19th, 2012 at 9:04:13 PM permalink

Thanks for dropping by Padre. At the risk of going off topic, who do you confess to, and do you give communion to yourself? Does being bilingual help in job advancement in your field? I hear the pope, and past popes, could speak several languages.

At the risk of going off topic I will answer. It is essential for every priest to have a spiritual director and/or confessor. I think if you are a Catholic taking seriously your spiritual growth and relationship with Christ you should go to Confession every month for sure. Sometimes I wish the old confessing in a mirror trick worked. Si, the priest at Mass is able to give Communion to himself.

YES, being bilingual helps tremendously. I don't know about job advancement, but if you look at job advancement as caring for more souls, then specificaly speaking Spanish is a huge blessing. I feel like we should make it mandatory for all seminarians to learn Spanish. I heard someone in conversation say recently that the Church has grown in South and Central America some 7000%. I know Italian and would love to change it into Spanish, but I too do not have the gift for languages. Alas, I am stuck only able to say: Yo quiero Taco Bell.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 6:13:58 AM permalink

I know Italian and would love to change it into Spanish, but I too do not have the gift for languages.

I talked to a priest who was a native Italian Speaker who was sent to run the parish in Little Italy in San Diego in the late 1970's. He said that it was fairly easy for him to learn Spanish as the demographics changed.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 20th, 2012 at 6:46:56 AM permalink
I thought Italian and Spanish were like brothers when it comes to languages. Anyway...new day.

Fecha: 20 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: motosierra

Today's SWD means chain saw. I had to check the dictionary when I saw this the other day, thinking that motosierra should mean "motor mountains," but sure enough the dictionary says it means chain saw. Reminds me of the word for roller coaster, Montañia Russo.

A question for the advanced readers is ¿por qué? What does a chain saw have to do with mountains? Maybe the chain looks like a jagged mountain range if you look at it closely. However, I'm not big on looking at chain saws two inches from the chain, for fear somebody will turn it on in my face.

Ejemplo time

No soy muy bueno con las motosierras. Es porque tengo tantos muchos dedos les faltar. = I am not very good with chain saws. That is why I have so many missing fingers.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 7:32:18 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is ¿por qué? What does a chain saw have to do with mountains? Maybe the chain looks like a jagged mountain range if you look at it closely. However, I'm not big on looking at chain saws two inches from the chain, for fear somebody will turn it on in my face.

Ejemplo time

No soy muy bueno con las motosierras. Es porque tengo tantos muchos dedos les faltar. = I am not very good with chain saws. That is why I have so many missing fingers.

Sierra is more like serrated, and is Spanish for a saw. Jagged mountains are said to look like the teeth in a saw.

While your translation is literal, I think that you need a verb. "I'm no good at cutting with a chainsaw." English is a little more forgiving than Spanish (the verb is understood).

No soy muy bueno para cortar con las motosierras.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 20th, 2012 at 7:59:06 AM permalink

Sierra is more like serrated, and is Spanish for a saw. Jagged mountains are said to look like the teeth in a saw.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Here is a picture of Mount Whitney, which is in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Source: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wc_notes.htm

They certainly do look jagged. I hope to climb Mount Whitney again this summer, if I win a trail permit in the lottery.
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 8:10:49 AM permalink

I thought Italian and Spanish were like brothers when it comes to languages. Anyway...new day.

Italian is much closer to Latin than Spanish. Not to mention pronunciation is very different.

Quote:

Today's SWD means chain saw.

Possibly. I mean, I'm not familiar with the names of tools.

Quote:

Reminds me of the word for roller coaster, Montañia Russo.

Montaña RusA

Quote:

No soy muy bueno con las motosierras.

That's perfect. Ignore Paco's comments below.

Quote:

Es porque tengo tantos muchos dedos les faltar.

That's gibberish.

From what you said in English, what you should say in Spanish is "Es por eso que me faltan tantos dedos."
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 8:18:47 AM permalink

Thanks, I didn't know that. I hope to climb Mount Whitney again this summer, if I win a trail permit in the lottery.

List of mountain ranges named Sierras

Do you train on Mt Charleston? Mt Charleston's summit is 11,916', which is about the altitude of the campsite on Mt. Whitney (6 miles from summit).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 20th, 2012 at 9:00:47 AM permalink
Thanks Nareed. I knew my dedos sentence didn't feel right, but I didn't know how to fix it.

Do you train on Mt Charleston? Mt Charleston's summit is 11,916', which is about the altitude of the campsite on Mt. Whitney (6 miles from summit).

I've climbed Mount Charleston about 20 times. When I was training for something really big, like Mount Shasta and the Grand Canyon rim to rim, I'll do Mount Charleston on a weekly basis. A good hike but I'm bored with it. If I get the Mount Whitney permit we'll (my son and I) definitely train on Charleston.
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 9:11:57 AM permalink

Thanks Nareed. I knew my dedos sentence didn't feel right, but I didn't know how to fix it.

You're welcome.

BTW "sierra" does mean mountain range, not just mountain. You know the Rocky Mountains extend into Mexico? All the way to Mexico City, in fact. Only the name changes to "Sierra Madre Occidental." And of course there's another range called "Sierra Madre Oriental," running along the eastern part of the country. They meet in the middle, more or less, and form a great many valleys, invluding the Valley of Mexico where the City is located.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 9:22:21 AM permalink

Quote:

No soy muy bueno con las motosierras.

That's perfect. Ignore Paco's comments below.

Well, blame my teachers.

However, there are many English instructors that also implore people to use descriptive verbs in their sentences instead of simple conjunctions. "I cannot operate machinery", or "I find it difficult to engage women" or "Roses appear red".

Instead we say "I am bad with machinery" or "I am bad with women" or "Roses are red".

Formally, that type of limited English is known as E-prime, or English without simple conjunctive use of the verb "to be".
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 9:59:04 AM permalink

Well, blame my teachers.

I blame your teachers. There!

Quote:

However, there are many English instructors that also implore people to use descriptive verbs in their sentences instead of simple conjunctions. "I cannot operate machinery", or "I find it difficult to engage women" or "Roses appear red".

That's a preference, really. Not a bad one, but it adds verbiage where none is needed. Also, words, expressions and phrases tend to be shortened over time. So just as people say "fridge" instead of "refrigerator," they'll say "I'm bad with machinery" rather than "I find it difficult to opearte machinery."
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 20th, 2012 at 10:37:39 AM permalink

So just as people say "fridge" instead of "refrigerator," they'll say "I'm bad with machinery" rather than "I find it difficult to opearte machinery."

I once had a Chinese assistant for an engineering class I was teaching. She was a very nice young lady. One day in class, while we were using calculus to solve a problem, she said to me, "I cannot say that word for dy/dx." I asked whether she meant "derivative," and she said, "Yes."

I understand that pronunciation in a new language can prove challenging, but I told her, "Of course you can say that," and in sixty seconds of coaching, I had her saying it perfectly.

Then, I told her that I would prefer that she stop saying, "I cannot ... (anything)" and instead say, "I have difficulty ... (whatever)." I told her that wording was much more likely to lead to people helping her solve whatever was giving her trouble.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 11:16:38 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Then, I told her that I would prefer that she stop saying, "I cannot ... (anything)" and instead say, "I have difficulty ... (whatever)." I told her that wording was much more likely to lead to people helping her solve whatever was giving her trouble.

Usually it is slightly more polite to say No entiendo then to say No comprendo. By saying you can't comprehend what the person is saying you are implying that what they said is gibberish. By saying you can't understand them, you are implying that the difficulty is with your ability, and they should either rephrase or speak more slowly.

Nareed should pass on this game, since it will probably be too easy.
Quote: Trivia question: Guess who said this quote??

En invierno ese sitio está lo bastante cerca del radiador para causar calor pero no lo bastante para causar transpiración. En verano se encuentra en el punto perfecto de las corrientes al abrir ventanas ahí, y ahí. La televisión está en un ángulo que no es ni directo desalentando la conversación... ni tan amplio que cause un tirón de cuello, podría seguir, pero creo que me habrás comprendido.

Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 11:23:08 AM permalink

Nareed should pass on this game, since it will probably be too easy.

Coincidentally, they re-ran that episode yesterday.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 20th, 2012 at 1:56:09 PM permalink
Sheldon Cooper, in describing his perfect spot on the couch.
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 2:07:04 PM permalink

En invierno ese sitio está lo bastante cerca del radiador para causar calor pero no lo bastante para causar transpiración. En verano se encuentra en el punto perfecto de las corrientes al abrir ventanas ahí, y ahí. La televisión está en un ángulo que no es ni directo desalentando la conversación... ni tan amplio que cause un tirón de cuello, podría seguir, pero creo que me habrás comprendido.

It's not quite right, either:

"En invierno este lugar está lo suficientemente cerca del radiador para estar caliente, pero no tanto que cause transpiración. En verano se encuentra en el punto perfecto de la corriente al abrir ventanas ahý y ahí. La televisión está en un ángulo que no es directo, desalentando la conversación, ni tan indirecto que me cause dolor en el cuello. podría continuar, pero creo que me entiendes."

I wouldn't call my version right, exactly, becasue it's hard to carry Sheldon's use of language over into Spanish. He tends to be precise and correct, but he doens't often use obscure words.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 3:58:34 PM permalink

It's not quite right, either:

"En invierno este lugar está lo suficientemente cerca del radiador para estar caliente, pero no tanto que cause transpiración. En verano se encuentra en el punto perfecto de la corriente al abrir ventanas ahý y ahí. La televisión está en un ángulo que no es directo, desalentando la conversación, ni tan indirecto que me cause dolor en el cuello. podría continuar, pero creo que me entiendes."

I wouldn't call my version right, exactly, becasue it's hard to carry Sheldon's use of language over into Spanish. He tends to be precise and correct, but he doens't often use obscure words.

video in Spanish and backwards (68 seconds)
video in Spanish . Penny's dubbed voice is much more feminine and girlie.

Penny's Christmas gift (subtitled) The famous scene
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 20th, 2012 at 4:04:46 PM permalink
I would be interested to know how well do the translators translate the heavy scientific jargon.
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 4:17:08 PM permalink

video in Spanish and backwards (68 seconds)
video in Spanish . Penny's dubbed voice is much more feminine and girlie.

If I had a dime for every translation error and outright distortion I've found in dubbed and subtitled movies and TV shows, I could buy a nice Vegas casino ;)

That's the other reason I don't ever watch anything that's been dubbed. But in the first place, dubbing changes the performance. I watch anything with subtitles because I can easily ignore them.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 4:29:00 PM permalink

I would be interested to know how well do the translators translate the heavy scientific jargon.

Judging by the above quote, they don't try. The original was the TV is not an angle "nor so far wide to cause a parallex distortion", but Sheldon touches his neck when he says it. They translated it as "no me cause dolor en el cuello".
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 4:31:26 PM permalink

I've no idea. As I said, I usually ignore the subtitles. But there's a new ep today (new here; we run a few weeks behind the US). If I don't forget, I'll look for scientific jargon and the translation.

There was a Seinfeld episode where some character refers to "The sasquatch" the subtitles translated that as "La calabaza triste." That was funier than the entire episode. Can you guess what the translator thought the English phrase was?
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 20th, 2012 at 4:38:26 PM permalink

I've no idea. As I said, I usually ignore the subtitles. But there's a new ep today (new here; we run a few weeks behind the US). If I don't forget, I'll look for scientific jargon and the translation.

There was a Seinfeld episode where some character refers to "The sasquatch" the subtitles translated that as "La calabaza triste." That was funier than the entire episode. Can you guess what the translator thought the English phrase was?

The Sad Squash
Nareed
Nareed
March 20th, 2012 at 4:45:22 PM permalink

The Sad Squash

That's my guess, too.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 21st, 2012 at 3:27:11 AM permalink
Fecha: 21 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Boquete

A while ago I used the word agujero in an ejemplo, and Nareed corrected me saying I should have used hoyo. I was referring to a hole, specially a hole in one in golf. As a reminder, an agujero is a small hole, in particular one in clothing, and a hoyo would be a larger one, in particular one in the earth.

Now I discover another word for hole, boquete. I take it from context and SpanistDict.com that it refers more to a gap or opening.

A question for the advanced readers is whether there is any etymology connection with boca (mouth).

Ejemplo time.

Ella dejó un boquete en mi corazón después de que ella me tiró. = She left a hole in my heart after she dumped me.
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
March 21st, 2012 at 3:35:10 AM permalink
Sorry, Wizard, but in sudamerica boquete do refers to mouth in a 'nasty' way, since it can mean "blowjob".
No bounce, no play.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 21st, 2012 at 4:14:39 AM permalink
Quote: aluisio

Sorry, Wizard, but in sudamerica boquete do refers to mouth in a 'nasty' way, since it can mean "blowjob".

Where were you before I went to Buenos Aires last November? This information might have come in handy on Avenida Reconquista after dark.

For what it is worth, I have been culling the latest SWDs, including this one, from a kids' book: Diario de Greg 1. un renacuajo .

aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
March 21st, 2012 at 4:17:54 AM permalink
Sorry I didn't make it on time! Hahaha
By the way, avoid Av. Reconquista, Av. Rivadavia y Plaza de Mayo after dark!
No bounce, no play.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 21st, 2012 at 4:21:19 AM permalink
Quote: aluisio

By the way, avoid Av. Reconquista, Av. Rivadavia y Plaza de Mayo after dark!

I survived Av. Reconquista after dark. The part I was in seemed fairly safe, around cross street Paraguay, just lots of putas.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 21st, 2012 at 5:50:59 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is whether there is any etymology connection with boca (mouth).

DRAE says "boquete" is derived from "boca". Gap, opening, and "breach" are good synonyms. It is the name of a town in a gap in the mountains in Panama where the climate is cool (and popular for retirement place).

HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
March 21st, 2012 at 6:08:01 AM permalink

I have no idea why in English we use "slim chance" and "fat chance" to almost the same thing. I've heard "Ni modo", but "no way" seems a more literal translation.

Here's some more interesting things to think about. Some bits and pieces from something I just read:

There's no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. We find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, two geese. So one moose, two meese? One index, two indices.

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?

How can a wise man and a wise guy be opposites? How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while quite a lot and quite a few are alike? How can the weather be hot as hell on one day and cold as hell another?

Your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out, and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on.

And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this post, I end it !
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 21st, 2012 at 6:11:33 AM permalink
Also, English muffins weren't invented in England nor French fries in France.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 21st, 2012 at 6:16:07 AM permalink
Here's an interesting site:
List of Oxymorons
Nareed
Nareed
March 21st, 2012 at 8:11:12 AM permalink

Now I discover another word for hole, boquete. I take it from context and SpanistDict.com that it refers more to a gap or opening.

As used here, it usually means an irregular kind of hole in a wall or masonry. It isn't used much. So a gap or opening sounds right.

A mouse hole, like you see only in cartoons and nowhere else, is called "agujero de ratón."

Quote:

Ella dejó un boquete en mi corazón después de que ella me tiró. = She left a hole in my heart after she dumped me.

"...después de que me dejó." or "...después de que me cortó." "Dumped" just doesn't work in Spanish in this context. And also it sint' necessary to repeat "ella" since it's clear you're still talking about her.

The rest is ok.
Nareed
Nareed
March 21st, 2012 at 8:15:14 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

...nor ham in hamburger;

No, but the name derives from the German city of Hamburg. I wouldn't undertake to analyze every word or term you brought up, but I'm certain most of them have similar explanations. Besides, you find such inconsitencies in every language.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 21st, 2012 at 8:47:45 AM permalink

No, but the name derives from the German city of Hamburg. I wouldn't undertake to analyze every word or term you brought up, but I'm certain most of them have similar explanations. Besides, you find such inconsitencies in every language.

I also hear the Frankfurter is from Frankfurt. The word house derives from the German haus. It is commonly known that the original of kinder garden is the German Kinder Garten, which means "children garden." I'm sure Paco could give us hundreds of English words with German origins. After all, English is a mixture of influences, one of which is German.

Our own MichaelBluejay is as white as me, but can speak Japanese very well. He says the language is extremely logical and understandable to pick up as a second language.
  • Jump to: