Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 3rd, 2012 at 9:38:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A question for the advanced readers is how does carecer differ from faltar?

What the Argentinian said.

Quote:

Ella fue tan bonita que carecí el valor para le hablar. = She was so pretty I lacked the courage to talk to her.

"Ella ERA tan bonita que carecí Del valor para hablarLE."

If you use "fué" you mean she used to be pretty but no longer is. And "hablarle" is not the same as "le hablar." The latter, in fact, is gibberish.

Paco, I've never heard anyone ever use the word "faltarse."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 3rd, 2012 at 9:46:04 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Paco, I've never heard anyone ever use the word "faltarse."

I don't mean that people use "faltarse". That is what they teach you in grammar classes if you are going to use:
me falto
te faltas
se falta
nos faltamos
se faltan

instead of:
yo falto
tu faltas
el falta
nosotros faltamos
ellos faltan

It is referred to as a "reflexive conjugation", or sometimes a "pronomial" use of the verb.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 3rd, 2012 at 2:14:36 PM permalink

And "hablarle" is not the same as "le hablar." The latter, in fact, is gibberish.

Thanks. However, this comes as a surprise to me. I thought it was optional to put the direct object in front of the verb, or attach it to the end.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
March 3rd, 2012 at 2:33:39 PM permalink
Carecer en sudamerica también tiene el significado de necesitar.
Como en "yo carezco de tu ayuda"
No bounce, no play.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 3rd, 2012 at 4:12:29 PM permalink

Thanks. However, this comes as a surprise to me. I thought it was optional to put the direct object in front of the verb, or attach it to the end.

Actually "le" is an indirect object pronoun, "lo" is a direct object pronoun, and the "rule" you are referring to is when you have two verbs (one conjugated, and the second as an infinitive).

Lo quiero ver.
Quiero verlo.

Pronoun review
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 3rd, 2012 at 5:08:49 PM permalink
Quote: aluisio

Carecer en sudamerica también tiene el significado de necesitar.
Como en "yo carezco de tu ayuda"

La frase "caracer de" significa "necesitar".

carecer: lack.
carecer de: be in need of, want (for), lack.
encarecer: recommend, exaggerate, raise the price.
encarecerse: go up in price, take a jump.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
March 3rd, 2012 at 7:31:14 PM permalink
So I asked the mom of the Argentinian, the old Argentinian, and she says that carecer is exactly used for a lack of character or some other trait and that faltar is for physical items (cosas).
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 3rd, 2012 at 8:24:48 PM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

So I asked the mom of the Argentinian, the old Argentinian, and she says that carecer is exactly used for a lack of character or some other trait and that faltar is for physical items (cosas).

People are not always 100% reliable about their own language. She may say that because traits are permanent, and she always uses that verb for "lack of some trait". I can find many example written in reliable sources where a trait is not even being discussed. In particular when used with "de" which often means it is not only lacking, but it is needed.

Dejaría de ser otro organismo vivo para transformarme en algo totalmente absurdo, por carecer de los requisitos imprescindibles para ser.
El laberinto, Augusto Casola

Durante más de una hora permanecieron con las turbinas en funcionamiento por carecer de equipo de puesta en marcha en tierra y con el alto riesgo de ser detectados por los británicos. (From Argentina) Prensa reporting on Falklands war.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
March 3rd, 2012 at 8:31:34 PM permalink
Of course paco. So just take it as, that's what most Argentinian's she knows (herself included) use it as. Kind of a connotation versus denotation type of thing. No worries.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 3rd, 2012 at 9:24:21 PM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

Of course paco. So just take it as, that's what most Argentinian's she knows (herself included) use it as. Kind of a connotation versus denotation type of thing. No worries.

I'm not sure what that you are saying.

If you ask an English speaker to define the verb with the conjugations have, has, had, having, most English speakers will say the verb means "to own" or " to possess".

But that definition will be confusing to a Spanish speaker, since there are at least 8 different meanings of the verb "have". It is one of the most common verbs in the English language, and it is used for a lot of situations

(1) He has a new car.
(2) He has finished
(3) Mary has her back to me.
(4) You don’t have to accept this situation.
(5) I had a good time at the party.
(6) He had a look round.
(7) God have mercy on me!
(8) She had a letter from Mark.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 4th, 2012 at 4:03:00 AM permalink
Fecha: 4 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: casillero

Today's SWD I think can mean locker or a some kind of sorting rack. Perhaps like the kind in a kindergarten, where each kid puts his/her items. Then again, there is another word for locker, taquilla. In the context I found the word it meant locker, like the kind in a middle school.

So, the question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a casillero y taquilla?

Ejemplo time.

Lo siento, Sr. Mano; debí salir ese libro en mi casillero. = I'm sorry, Mr. Hand; I must have left that book in my locker.
Nareed
Nareed
March 4th, 2012 at 4:21:23 AM permalink

Today's SWD I think can mean locker or a some kind of sorting rack. Perhaps like the kind in a kindergarten, where each kid puts his/her items.

It means locker.

Quote:

Then again, there is another word for locker, taquilla. In the context I found the word it meant locker, like the kind in a middle school.

I had to go to the dictionary for this one. You are right. howver, the only meaning I know that's used for "taquilla" is a ticket booth or box office.

The only other work for "casillero" that's commonly used is "locker." :) Seriously. In highschool everyone use that term almost exclusively.

Quote:

Lo siento, Sr. Mano; debí salir ese libro en mi casillero. = I'm sorry, Mr. Hand; I must have left that book in my locker.

Mr. Hand? In any case, names shouldn't be translated; except when it's necessary for some specific purpose.

As to the example, the re-translation actually says "[..]I must have to exit that book in my locker." So:

"[..]debo haber dejado ese libro..."
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 4th, 2012 at 9:00:03 AM permalink

"[..]debo haber dejado ese libro..."

Nareed made two grammatical changes:
(1) Because it is the "recent past" the proper tense is the "present" tense, not the "preterite"
She replaced "debí" with "debo".

(2) The verbal phrase "haber dejado" is known as a Perfect Infinitive.

(3) The verb "must" in English is a "modal" verb, or one of the auxiliary verbs that we use to describe mood. The full list of modal verbs is: can, could, may, might, will, would, must, shall, should, and 'ought to'. None of the Romance languages have modal verbs, since they have conjugations to describe mood. The verb 'deber' used as a transitive verb means "to owe", but it does double duty as a subsitute for the English modal verbs "must" and "should". As a reflexive verb "deberse a" it means "to be due to".
pacomartin
pacomartin
Nareed
Nareed
March 4th, 2012 at 6:58:05 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Nareed made two grammatical changes:
(1) Because it is the "recent past" the proper tense is the "present" tense, not the "preterite"
She replaced "debí" with "debo".

Well, if I were translating a book or something like that, it would go like this:

"Debo haber dejado el libro..." I must have left the book...

"Debí haber dejado el libro..." I should have left the book...

I should say that "must" and "should" took me a long time to master.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 4th, 2012 at 7:49:23 PM permalink

Well, if I were translating a book or something like that, it would go like this:
"Debo haber dejado el libro..." I must have left the book...
"Debí haber dejado el libro..." I should have left the book...
I should say that "must" and "should" took me a long time to master.

The Viking female "fates" are
1) Urd (PAST),
2) Verdandi (PRESENT),
3) Skuld (FUTURE).

The fate's name "Skuld" is related to "Should" and implies an "obligation".
The verb "must" is usually implies that the action is "necessary or extremely important" particularly in the negative.

But, you are correct, the meanings have become very muddied over the centuries. The difference between "You should see the movie" and "You must see the movie" really have nothing to do with the definitions above.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 4th, 2012 at 10:02:47 PM permalink
I thought the Three Fates were from Greek mythology.

Quote:

The Fates have the subtle but awesome power of deciding a man's destiny. They assign a man to good or evil. Their most obvious choice is choosing how long a man lives. There are three Fates. Clotho, the spinner, who spins the thread of life. Lachesis, the measurer, who choses the lot in life one will have and measures off how long it is to be. Atropos, she who cannot be turned, who at death with her shears cuts the thread of life.

-- Source: http://www.greekmythology.com/Other_Gods/The_Fates/the_fates.html.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 4th, 2012 at 10:21:25 PM permalink

I thought the Three Fates were from Greek mythology.

The word fate comes from the Greek word theosphaton. There are three fates in Greek mythology.

In both the Greek and Viking mythologies the creatures that determine Fate are identical in purpose, gender and number. They are both above the gods and no one can go against the Fates.The power of the Weird Sisters was inevitable for everyone. In both the mythologies they were thought as sitting around something circular. Keep in mind that 6-7 thousand years ago, all the Indo Europeans were one culture before writing existed in Europe.

In Viking mythology they are three powerful norn maiden giantesses whose arrival ended the golden age of the gods. They have the same function as the fates in Greek mythology. The word norn is related to "twine" because they are weaving destiny (like Clotho), and one of them is named Urðr which means "fate". So sometimes they are called the Viking "fates". I used the word "fate" since I didn't think Nareed would recognize the word "norn".

At least one of them has been incorporated in modern anime. Skuld is the "future" where we get the word "should".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 5th, 2012 at 8:17:59 AM permalink
Okay, thanks Paco for the lesson on the various Three Fates, but it is a new day so a new Spanish word.

Fecha: 5 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: regañar

Today's SWD means to scold or tell off.

A question for the advanced readers is how does regañar differ from reñir?

Ejemplo time

La repartidora regañarme por no haciendo el apuesto de mujeres suertes. = The dealer scolded me for not making the Lucky Ladies bet.
Nareed
Nareed
March 5th, 2012 at 8:25:44 AM permalink

Fecha: 5 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: regañar

Today's SWD means to scold or tell off.

This is a problematic word with no clear translation to English. One good approximation is "to be chewed out" or "to chew someone out," however that goes.

Quote:

A question for the advanced readers is how does regañar differ from reñir?

Enormously. "Reñir" means "to fight." Be it with fists, words, swords or guns.

Quote:

La repartidora regañarme por no haciendo el apuesto de mujeres suertes. = The dealer scolded me for not making the Lucky Ladies bet.

I won't even try...

"La dealer me regañó por no hacer la apuesta de Lucky ladies."

You can sub "crupier" for "dealer." "reaprtidor/a" means "delivery person." "Lucky ladies" can be translated literally as "Damas suertudas," or "Damas con suerte," but that sounds awful. Oh, when I tell Vegas stories at work, I do say "el dealer" and everyone understands me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 5th, 2012 at 3:46:51 PM permalink

Ella fue tan bonita que carecí el valor para le hablar.

"Ella ERA tan bonita que carecí Del valor para hablarLE."

La repartidora regañarme por no haciendo el apuesto de mujeres suertes.

"La dealer me regañó por no hacer la apuesta de Lucky ladies."

Maybe this is getting too deep, but I've never understood when to put the direct object before the verb, and when to attach it afterward. Consider the first quote where I wrote le hablar, and Nareed corrected me to hablarLE.

With that correction duly noted, I wrote regañarme for today's SWD, and was rebuked saying it should be me regañó.

Can someone explain the difference to me?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 5th, 2012 at 4:59:12 PM permalink

I wrote le hablar, and Nareed corrected me to hablarLE.

With that correction duly noted, I wrote regañarme for today's SWD, and was rebuked saying it should be me regañó.

Do you read the comic strip "Over the Hedge"? It's as if you are Verne and Nareed is RJ.
Nareed
Nareed
March 5th, 2012 at 5:15:35 PM permalink

Maybe this is getting too deep, but I've never understood when to put the direct object before the verb, and when to attach it afterward. Consider the first quote where I wrote le hablar, and Nareed corrected me to hablarLE.

I'm not sure I can. here's my understanding of grammar:

Q: Why is it important to ahve good grammar?
A: Because she's nice to you even when your parent ain't.

Anyway, I think the difference lies in expressing an action by someone done on you (me regañó) and an action you perform on someone else (hablarle).

Still, if you were to say something along the lines of "are you going to....?" you'd say "¿vas a regañarme?" or "¿me vas a regañar?" and both are equally valid. This also applies to ¿vas a hablarle? and ¿le vas a hablar? FWIW.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 5th, 2012 at 5:16:13 PM permalink

Ella fue tan bonita que carecí el valor para le hablar.

La repartidora regañarme por no haciendo el apuesto de mujeres suertes.

Anyway, I think the difference lies in expressing an action by someone done on you (me regañó) and an action you perform on someone else (hablarle).

Expanding on Nareed's comment.

PART I: Before you worry about pronoun placement the first thing is not to confuse the direct and indirect object pronouns.
In English "me" is a direct object pronoun, and "to me" is an indirect object pronoun.
In Spanish Indirect pronouns do not have gender, and "le" is always an indirect object pronoun.

Your first sentence uses an indirect pronoun since you lacked the courage to talk to her.
Your second sentence uses a direct pronoun since "the dealer scolded me"

The verb form of "to talk" was infinitive exactly the same as English: "to talk to her"
The verb form of "to scold" was conjugated exactly the same as English where you used the past tense: "the dealer scolded me"
What you wrote was "to scold to me" which is not what you meant to say.

Direct object pronouns (pronombres de complemento directo) me, te, lo, la, nos, los, las, se
Indirect object pronouns (pronombres de complemento indirecto) me, te, le, nos, les, se

PART II: Position of object pronouns
Object pronouns normally occur immediately before the verb. However, if the verb is
* an affirmative command,
* an infinitive,
* or a gerund (-ndo form in Spanish),
the object pronouns are attached to the end of the verb form. Note that when pronouns are appended to a verb a written accent mark is necessary when the stressed syllable is more than two syllables from the end of the word.

If the verb form consists of a conjugated verb and either an infinitive or an -ndo form, the user has the option of placing the object pronouns before the conjugated verb or attaching them to the end of the unconjugated one.

EXAMPLES (following the above rules for placement):

No lo veo. I don't see it.
¡No me digas nada! Don't say anything to me!
¡Háblenos usted! Talk to us!
Favor de darme el libro. Please give me the book.
—¿Qué estás haciendo? What are you doing?
—Quitándome el suéter. Taking off my sweater.

Voy a verlo. I'm going to see him/you/it. (masculine)
OR:
Lo voy a ver.

Estamos buscándola. We're looking for her/you/it. (feminine)
OR:
La estamos buscando.

Because you confused the indirect and direct pronouns, "to her" and "me", you used the infinitive in both cases. Because the second sentence required a conjugated verb it wasn't one of the three cases where you attach the pronoun to the end of the verb.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 5th, 2012 at 5:37:14 PM permalink

... In English "me" is a direct object pronoun, and "to me" is an indirect object pronoun.

Exceptions can be the thrill and bane of our lives:

Bake me a cake.
Throw me the ball.
Teach me better grammar.
Give me a chance.

The "to" (or "for") is quite often not expressed for indirect objects. When it is expressed, I personally view that as a prepositional phrase rather than an indirect object. Of course, these comments are for English, and I don't know the Spanish grammar.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 5th, 2012 at 7:10:02 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Exceptions can be the thrill and bane of our lives:

Bake me a cake.
Throw me the ball.
Teach me better grammar.
Give me a chance.

The "to" (or "for") is quite often not expressed for indirect objects. When it is expressed, I personally view that as a prepositional phrase rather than an indirect object. Of course, these comments are for English, and I don't know the Spanish grammar.

You are correct of course. I was trying to get through that point as quickly as possible. You can say either "Throw me the ball", or "Throw the ball to me". In either case the pronoun "me" is indirect.

The same problem comes in trying to identify infinitives in English. It is customary to define them as "to throw", or "to teach" so that they are easy to identify. But infinitives can exist in "bare" form as well. But they are harder to identify because the spelling is identical to the present tense.

Romance languages do not rely on "helper" words as much like Germanic languages. They use conjugations. But the object pronouns differ slightly if they are direct or indirect. But the rules about using the verb in infinitive or conjugated form depend on if the pronoun is direct or indirect. That in turn affects the rules for pronoun placement.

I share the Wizard's frustration on this point. To a native speaker pronouns are natural and they can change their placement at will. To a gringo it often is very confusing, since the equivalent doesn't exist in English. The native Spanish speaker is amazed that the gringo can't puzzle out extremely sentences with no difficult vocabulary equivalent to "Give it to him". Because the word "give" is a command, there is an arbitrary choices of where you can place the pronoun. In addition because there is both a direct and indirect pronoun there are even more choices. Plus in Spanish you can overtly voice the subject pronoun if you want the sentence to sound more like "Hey you, give it to him".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 5th, 2012 at 7:50:12 PM permalink

PART II: Position of object pronouns
Object pronouns normally occur immediately before the verb. However, if the verb is
* an affirmative command,
* an infinitive,
* or a gerund (-ndo form in Spanish),
the object pronouns are attached to the end of the verb form. Note that when pronouns are appended to a verb a written accent mark is necessary when the stressed syllable is more than two syllables from the end of the word.

Why is it that four-year-old children can learn a language so effortlessly without ever encountering rules like these?
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 5th, 2012 at 8:56:37 PM permalink

Why is it that four-year-old children can learn a language so effortlessly without ever encountering rules like these?

I don't know. The poverty of stimulus theory is the formal name for the fact that children seem to pick up grammatical structure far faster than should be possible with what the stimulus to which they are exposed.

Spanish was the subject of the first book on grammar. The language was distinct from Latin for more than 5 centuries before someone wrote a book about it.

Pronouns, gender and verb conjugations. So easy a Spanish baby can learn it.

Give it to me!

dámelo
me lo da
le dan a mí
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 6th, 2012 at 5:11:20 AM permalink
Fecha: 6 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: aplastar

Today's SWD means to squash/crush.

Ejemplo time

Mi confianza con mujeres esta aplastado. = My confidence with women is crushed.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 6th, 2012 at 6:14:04 AM permalink

aplastar means to squash/crush.

Ejemplo time

Synonyms are derrotar, vencer, and humillar so it can be used in the figurative sense as well.
A coloquial meaning is "apabullar" or to overwhelm.

Miguel está derrotado (you need the accent on está do distinguish it from esta).
Nareed
Nareed
March 6th, 2012 at 7:17:53 AM permalink
Quote:

Mi confianza con LAS mujeres está aplastadA.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 6th, 2012 at 10:47:50 AM permalink

Mi confianza con LAS mujeres está aplastadA.

Nareed
Nareed
March 6th, 2012 at 3:21:54 PM permalink
I just realized this thread will turn one year old the same day I leave for Vegas. It seems fitting (ha!). And in thread-years, it's the equivalent of 100 years or so, right? ;)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 6th, 2012 at 3:35:15 PM permalink

I just realized this thread will turn one year old the same day I leave for Vegas.

I tried the following translation. In honor of your upcoming trip, can you look at it and give me your opinion?

Dados parece un juego de intimidar a aquellos que no lo he jugado.
Hay docenas de apuestas disponibles, y parece que el juego tiene una terminología propia.
Mientras tanto las declaraciones son verdaderas, es fácil ir con el conocimiento de sólo dos apuestas.
Lo que sigue es una explicación de las apuestas más comunes, en el orden que debe aprender.
Una vez más, usted no tiene que entender todas las apuestas a jugar, sólo los que tiene la intención de apostar.
Sólo es necesario entender las apuestas que desea apostar.
Nareed
Nareed
March 6th, 2012 at 4:01:50 PM permalink

I tried the following translation. In honor of your upcoming trip, can you look at it and give me your opinion?

be careful what you wish for >:)

Quote:

Dados parece un juego de intimidar a aquellos que no lo he jugado.

Dice seems like a game of intimidation to those who haven't played it.

try: Craps parece un juego intimidante para aquellos que no lo han jugado.

I use "craps" rather than "dados" because as far as I know there is no real translation. I use "para" instead of "a" because two a's together ought to be avoided. Sure, "para" also ends in "a," but at least there is an additional sound before the first "a." But saying "a aquellos" is also valid.

Quote:

Hay docenas de apuestas disponibles, y parece que el juego tiene una terminología propia.

As we say in Spanish, "okay."

Quote:

Mientras tanto las declaraciones son verdaderas, es fácil ir con el conocimiento de sólo dos apuestas.

Aún cuando esto es correcto, es fácil jugarlo conociendo solo dos apuestas.

Quote:

Lo que sigue es una explicación de las apuestas más comunes, en el orden que debe aprender.

A continuación se explican las apuestas más comunes, en el orden en que se deben de aprender.

Quote:

Una vez más, usted no tiene que entender todas las apuestas a jugar, sólo los que tiene la intención de apostar.

ok

Quote:

Sólo es necesario entender las apuestas que desea apostar.

Ok, but it's redundant given the previous line.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 6th, 2012 at 4:44:34 PM permalink
Sorry to change the topic, but I just prerecorded an interview with out own Switch. He told a story how when he introduced Blackjack Switch to Russia there was no single word in Russian for "switch." They had to say a whole sentence to explain switching anything. However, after the came caught on he noticed players were saying "switch" routinely in explaining the game. So maybe Switch deserves credit for introducing a new word to Russian.

Paco, where can I get that book?
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 6th, 2012 at 5:29:01 PM permalink

Paco, where can I get that book?

I sent it to you

Comunicarse Con Las Mujeres
  • En mi experiencia, es mucho mejor atraer a una mujer que perseguirla.
  • Si una mujer se siente interesada por ti, has recorrido ya la mitad del camino.
  • En ventas, es mucho más fácil vender un producto a alguien que te llamó y dijo “¿Podría ayudarme?”, que tratar de venderle a alguien a quien tú le llamas.
  • Mi razonamiento es: Las mujeres se sienten atraídas hacia los hombres por ciertas razones clave y pasan por una secuencia interna específica cuando sienten esa atracción; hay un sistema, secuencia o código.
  • Y una vez que sabes cuál es, puedes desarrollar un método para crear esta secuencia más recuentemente.
  • Puedes usar la premisa de que hay una secuencia genética que te beneficia.

Sé Diferente
  • Al estudiar la publicidad y las ventas he aprendido que los humanos se sienten atraídos por bienes que son únicos.
  • También se sienten atraídos hacia cosas que son superiores.
  • Por lo tanto, tengo una frase que uso: “Distinto de una manera superior”.
  • En el juego de las parejas, es muy benéfico ser diferente de una manera atractiva.
  • Las mujeres se sienten atraídas por estos elementos diferentes.
  • Depende de ti tomar lo que tienes, y usarlo para incrementar tu personalidad de tal manera que sea atractiva para la clase de mujer en
    la que estás interesado.
  • La clave es ser diferente de una manera seductora.
  • ¡Pero asegúrate de que no sea muy diferente!
  • Si te dejas llevar mucho por la emoción, estarás fuera del reino de lo “normal” y terminarás haciéndote daño.
  • Así que experimenta y distingue que es lo que funciona para ti y lo que no te sirve.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 7th, 2012 at 5:10:32 PM permalink
Thanks again for that reading material, Paco. The reading level was surprisingly easy. It is on my long Spanish reading list.

Fecha: 7 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: bostezar

Today's SWD means to yawn. A related word is bostezo, which means a yawn (noun).

Ejemplo time.

¿Estás cansado o estás bostezando, porque me encuentras aburrido? = Are you tired, or are you yawning because you find me boring?
Nareed
Nareed
March 7th, 2012 at 5:47:48 PM permalink

¿Estás cansado o estás bostezando, porque me encuentras aburrido? = Are you tired, or are you yawning because you find me boring?

I'd put the comma after "cansado." Other than that it's fine.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 7th, 2012 at 6:51:14 PM permalink

I'd put the comma after "cansado." Other than that it's fine.

Just a punctuation error, I'll take that :-).
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 7th, 2012 at 11:09:04 PM permalink

Dice seems like a game of intimidation to those who haven't played it.
Dados parece un juego de intimidar a aquellos que no lo he jugado. -Paco
Craps parece un juego intimidante para aquellos que no lo han jugado. -Nareed

Thanks for your help Nareed.

-------------
I had a huge difficulty with some phrases that are vague, even in English. For instance, consider the phrase "lay odds" which I looked up in an online reference.

Quote: http://dictionary.reference.com

lay odds

Make a bet on terms favorable to the other party, as in I'll lay odds that it will rain before the week is out . (c. 1600) The closely related lay a wager means "make a bet," as in He laid a wager that Don would be late . (c. 1300)

Quote: http://thefreedictionary.com

give or lay odds to offer a bet with favourable odds
take odds to accept such a bet

I disagree with both these references. I believe that to "lay odds" means to make a bet where you are betting more money than you will win, to "take odds" means to take such a bet. For instance people are "laying odds" at 9 to 1 that HotBlonde will not make her goal weight, and she is "taking those odds". As to whether that is a favorable bet is subjective. In a dice game the casino is laying odds at 30 to 1 that you can't throw boxcars, and you are taking those odds. But they certainly are not favorable to you since they include a house edge.

With such a technical meaning of "lay" and "take", I have no idea what the words would be in Spanish or if they even exist at all. Perhaps I should consider those verbs to be like proper names, and not translate them.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 7th, 2012 at 11:13:02 PM permalink

I believe that to "lay odds" means to make a bet where you are betting more money than you will win, to "take odds" means to take such a bet. For instance people are "laying odds" at 9 to 1 that HotBlonde will not make her goal weight, and she is "taking those odds".

That is how I use those terms. However, I think the lay and take definition quoted is more of a slang definition. The word "odds" also has two meanings, in terms of the probability of an event happening, as well as what it pays if you bet on it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 8th, 2012 at 12:14:59 AM permalink
Glancing at a portion of the rules of craps in Spanish

Quote: boardgamegeek.com

CRAPS
REGLAS
Breve descripción

La primera tirada de los dados en una vuelta se llama la "tirada de salida". La apuesta de apertura básica en los dados, que se hace antes de que se tiren los dados, se llama la "apuesta de línea de pases". Estas apuestas son ganadoras instantáneas cuando el tirador saca 7 u 11, y pierden cuando salen 2 (ojos de serpiente), 3 (ojos cruzados) o 12 (vagones). Si salen 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 o 10 ese número pasa a ser "el punto". El disco rotulado "ON" muestra que se estableció el punto y se ubica sobre la mesa de dados en el casillero del número que salió como punto: "4, 5, seis, 8, nueve, o 10".

Para terminar la ronda de dados y resolver las apuestas de línea de pase el tirador debe tirar el punto o 7. Si el tirador no logra el punto o un 7 antes de que salga el sol, la partida de dados puede durar la noche entera. Las apuestas de la línea de pasos no puede ganar hasta que salga el punto y no puede perder hasta que salga un 7. Como las apuestas de pase no pueden ser retiradas, los jugadores deben esperar para que se tire el punto o 7 para determinar el resultado de sus apuestas de pase.

Apuestas de línea de pases
Se hace una apuesta de línea de pase sobre el campo marcado "LÍNEA DE PASE" (PASS LINE) sobre la mesa de dados antes de que se tire el dado (esto es, el primer tiro de los datos en una nueva ronda). Un apostador en la línea de pases gana si tira 7 u 11 y pierde si sale 2, 3 o 12. Si salen 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 o 10 ese número pasa a ser "el punto". Para ganar una apuesta de línea de pases, el tirador debe volver a tirar el punto antes de sacar un 7. Si el tirador saca un siete antes de volver a sacar el punto, pierde su apuesta de línea de pases. Una apuesta ganadora de línea de pase paga el mismo valor (1 a 1). Una vez que se estableció el punto, las apuestas de línea de pase que no fueron resueltas no podrán ser retiradas o reducidas. Deben ser resueltas por la tirada del punto o 7.

Apuesta Odds (Probabilidad)
Una apuesta "odds" (probabilidades) es una apuesta de "salvaguarda" de una apuesta de pase original, apuesta "no pase" (don't pass), come-bet o don't come-bet. La apuesta de probabilidades máxima es tres veces la apuesta original.

Apuestas Linea de pases
Una vez que se estableció el punto, se coloca una odds-bet de pase. Una apuesta ganadora paga verdaderas probabilidades: 2 a 1 en una tirada de 4 o 10, 3 a 2 en una tirada de 5 o 9, y 6 a 5 en una tirada de 6 u 8.

The word "salvaguarda" is a very confusing term. It is translated pretty obviously as "safeguard" , but I find that to be an unusual word to use.

The phrase verdaderas probabilidades is straightforward "free odds".

But in some cases the writer simply uses the English phrase.
Nareed
Nareed
March 8th, 2012 at 6:56:05 AM permalink

The word "salvaguarda" is a very confusing term. It is translated pretty obviously as "safeguard" , but I find that to be an unusual word to use.

I'm stumped as to waht the writer meant by that, too. The odds bet is an addition to the pass/don't pass bet, a complementary bet. Not a safeguard or hedge.

Quote:

The phrase verdaderas probabilidades is straightforward "free odds".

The literal meaning is "true odds."

Quote:

But in some cases the writer simply uses the English phrase.

I do that plenty when I talk about gambling. It's easier to introduce onw word and explain it, than trying to come up with an equivalent and explain that.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 9th, 2012 at 8:27:49 AM permalink
Fecha: 9 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Apestar

Today's SWD means to stink. Related words are hedor, which means a stink (noun), and oler, which means to smell.

Apestar should not be confused with aprestar, which means to get ready.

Ejemplo time.

Después de cociné la cena, toda la casa apestada. = After I cooked dinner, the whole house stank.
Nareed
Nareed
March 9th, 2012 at 8:35:14 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between hedor y apestado.

You don't find "hedor" outside of books.

Quote:

Después de cociné la cena, toda la casa apestada. = After I cooked dinner, the whole house stank.

"Despues de QUE cocine la cena, toda la casa pestaBA" You actually said "After cooked dinner, the whole house stinking."

And on behalf of budding cooks everywhere, I have to say this: if that's the result of your cooking efforts, you need to learn not to try :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 9th, 2012 at 9:27:05 AM permalink
Quote: wiz

Después de cociné la cena, toda la casa apestada

You actually said "After cooked dinner, the whole house stinking."

I thought the word for stinking would be apestando.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 9th, 2012 at 10:27:44 AM permalink

I thought the word for stinking would be apestando.

In English the participle and the adjective have the same spelling.
The fish is stinking up the house. (progressive present)
Garlic is called a stinking rose. (adjective)

In Spanish the forms are different conjugations.
apestando is used for progressive present.
apestado -da is used for adjectives for each gender.

-------------------------
In general, the -ing form of a verb does more duty in English than the equivalent in Spanish.

As another example the sentence "Reading is good" is translated as "Leer es bueno", and not "Leyendo es bueno".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 10th, 2012 at 7:38:02 AM permalink
Fecha: 10 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Penoso

Today's SWD means laborious, distressing, or embarrassing.

A question for the advanced readers is whether it is related to penar, which means to punish/suffer.

Ejemplo time.

Los vídeos de apostar de El Mago son sencillamente penoso. = The Wizard's gambling videos are simply embarrassing.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 10th, 2012 at 8:17:00 AM permalink

Fecha: 10 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Penoso

Today's SWD means laborious, distressing, or embarrassing.

I think the word has colloquial meanings that would make your sentence misunderstood. The word also means cute or handsome in a youthful sort of way (i.e. not ruggedly handsome). In Mexico and Cuba it has a regional meaning of "timid".

tímido: adj. Temeroso, medroso, encogido y corto de ánimo.

Related to embarrassing is the adjective "shy". This photo is labelled morza penosa or presumably "shy walrus".
  • Jump to: