Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 1st, 2012 at 10:06:32 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

All I recall from that movie is the five note tune. It's the only thing I ever learned to play in a piano :)

Trivia time: What other movie from the eighties featured that same five-note tune?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 2nd, 2012 at 2:51:37 AM permalink

Thank you. I've no idea what the word for that is in Spanish.

English frequently adapts a word from Latin or one of it's descendant languages for a very specific usage. For example, the Spanish verb influir is from Latin influĕre or in English influence was used in 1743 to describe a particularly virulent epidemic that began in Italy. It was termed an influenza or an influence from the heavens. The word was adopted in English to describe a nasty or highly contagious cold. In common speech it is shortened to flu.

The English word flue which has the same pronunciation as flu literally means "smoke channel in a chimney," is from Old English flowan meaning "to flow," and/or Old French fluie meaning "to stream". Sometimes the word is used (as the Wizard did) as the control device on the flow channel.

From looking at the dictionary it seems like the Spanish phrase chimenea tiro means the same thing.

Another word respiradero is defined as meaning "flue", but it also seems to mean "vent" , "snorkel", and the "ventilation shaft" of a mine.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 2nd, 2012 at 3:12:58 AM permalink
Spanish secondary word in the news today is conquistar, or "to conquer". A man who conquers is a conquistador .

Argentina is angry because Prince William is coming to Argentina in the military uniform of a conquistador in a series of exercises to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Falklands war.
' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/720a25e022e3e503050f6a7067006082.jpg]

Shakespeare commemorated every soldier who died over a few feet of turf in his famous speech beginning we go to gain a little patch of ground.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 2nd, 2012 at 6:56:57 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Trivia time: What other movie from the eighties featured that same five-note tune?

That's a good question, and (believe it or not) I don't know! I remember seeing it; I think it was another Spielberg movie...maybe ET?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:02:25 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

That's a good question, and (believe it or not) I don't know! I remember seeing it; I think it was another Spielberg movie...maybe ET?

The better question is: given such god-awful movies like Close Encounters and E.T., how did Spielberg become a force to be reckined with in Hollywood? Was it on the strength of Jaws alone, or did it come afterwards when he backed good movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future?

I vote for the latter option.

It may also be I'm in a bad mood today...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teddys
teddys
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:09:02 AM permalink

The better question is: given such god-awful movies like Close Encounters and E.T., how did Spielberg become a force to be reckined with in Hollywood? Was it on the strength of Jaws alone, or did it come afterwards when he backed good movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future?

Box office. Pure and simple. When you make the two highest grossing movies of all time (no matter how terrible they were), you are by definition a force to be reckoned with. He became one of the most powerful men in Hollywood almost immediately.

The critical reputation didn't come much later until "Schindler's List" (which I also didn't think was that good). He is an okay filmmaker, in my opinion; by no means one of the greats.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:31:29 AM permalink

Box office. Pure and simple. When you make the two highest grossing movies of all time (no matter how terrible they were), you are by definition a force to be reckoned with. He became one of the most powerful men in Hollywood almost immediately.

Oh, certainly. But that just pushes back the question (and we're getting theological here now). Whyw did such movies like Close Encounters and ET gross so high? ET I sort of understand. it's a maudlin, sentimental movie with "family" appeal. Kids' movies tend to do well, if the kids like them. I can see why kids would like, say, Toy Story or The Little Mermaid, but not ET.

Close Encounters, on the other hand, was a long, long, long, long wait for a very small payoff. You get a nice teaser near the beginning, with the scientists rushing excitedely in the Sonoran desert, and the mysterious blackouts and lights in the sky wherever Richard Dreyfus was. But then it's all a long and boring wait for something, anything, to happen. When something finally does, you're left thinking "THAT'S IT????????"

Did I mention you mostly wait for a long time for something to happen? :)

On the gripping hand, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a series of events, many of them exciting, building up to a climax that 1) is satisfying and 2) takes a reasonable amount of time. Likewise Back to the Future (which Spielberg produced but didn't direct)

I guess I'm way off topic by now ;)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:32:49 AM permalink

The better question is: given such god-awful movies like Close Encounters and E.T., how did Spielberg become a force to be reckined with in Hollywood?

Hey, the public loved those movies! I thought Close Encounters was outstanding, but E.T. was overly cute and campy but still a good flick. I'll take ET over Avatar any day.

Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List would both make my list of top 20 movies if I were to cull such a list.
teddys
teddys
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:34:58 AM permalink
The one thing I remember from Close Encounters that really bugged me (and Nareed, you will appreciate this) is a throwaway line from the beginning where one of the scientists talks about just coming in from "Villahermosa."

Villahermosa is the capital of Tabasco State. Surely they meant Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora. Just sets the tone for the rest of the crappy movie.

(Edit: Hey, I used a Spanish word!)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 2nd, 2012 at 8:20:37 AM permalink

Villahermosa is the capital of Tabasco State. Surely they meant Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora. Just sets the tone for the rest of the crappy movie.

"Crappy"? Didn't know that was Spanish.
Nareed
Nareed
February 2nd, 2012 at 8:41:41 AM permalink

I thought Close Encounters was outstanding,

I was bored out of my skull.

Quote:

but E.T. was overly cute and campy but still a good flick.

I'll buy overly cute and campy, even with the ugly alien. Still a good flick, no. I don't mind sentimentality. In the right context I even like it. I'll come clean, I weep, in a good way, everytime I hear Ego's review of Gusteau's in Ratatouille. I get goosebumps at the mention of "a great artist can come from anywhere." There.

Quote:

I'll take ET over Avatar any day.

I dind't see Avatar. The reviews and previews struck me as eye-candy-coated viro preaching.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 2nd, 2012 at 10:01:34 AM permalink

The one thing I remember from Close Encounters that really bugged me (and Nareed, you will appreciate this) is a throwaway line from the beginning where one of the scientists talks about just coming in from "Villahermosa."

There was a prominent UFO sighting on 22 Dec 1975 in Hermosillo, right around the time they would have been writing the script. They shot the movie in Querétaro, Mexico which is south of Hermosillo. Devil's tower is in Wyoming (nowhere near Mexico).

I am not sure why they put Villahermosa in the script. Maybe they thought it sounded more exotic. It could be something simple like one of the writers had relatives there.

Nareed
Nareed
February 2nd, 2012 at 8:55:54 PM permalink

Villahermosa is the capital of Tabasco State. Surely they meant Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora.

It's not like I remember much of it, but did they even say they were in Sonora or anywhere in the North of Mexico?

Quote:

Just sets the tone for the rest of the crappy movie.

Maybe. Then again Nareed's first law of movie-making is "Nothing is so simple that Hollywood can't FUBAR it"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 2nd, 2012 at 9:27:05 PM permalink
Fecha: 3 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: Fuente

Today's SWD has various meanings: spring (the kind where water comes out), source, fountain, or dish (like a plate). These all seem to be based on something that emits something else. Perhaps dish is a stretch, but it presents the food on it.

Ejemplo time.

La cena será servida en una fuente de plata. = Dinner will be served on a silver platter.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 5:51:55 AM permalink

Fecha: 3 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: Fuente

Today's SWD has various meanings: spring (the kind where water comes out, source, fountain, or dish (like a plate).

Like the English cognates: <<font>> and <<fount>> , the word is more about origins , and not so much about aesthetics.

Un definicion de fuente : Plato grande, más o menos hondo, que se usa para servir los alimentos.
So the definition which translates as "Large plate, more or less deep, which is used to serve food", implies that the plate is the source of the food.
Nareed
Nareed
February 3rd, 2012 at 6:39:27 AM permalink

Today's SWD has various meanings: spring (the kind where water comes out, source, fountain, or dish (like a plate).

The most common meaning is "fountain." as in a decoration that spews water. The next most common is spring, but even then other words are used instead, like "manantial." A a kind of dish, not just any dish, it's used seldom, and mostly by people showing off they know an obscure definition for a common word.

Quote:

La cena será servida en una fuente de plata. = Dinner will be served on a silver platter.

Nothing wrong with the sentence. But it wouldn't make sense to many native speakers. The phrase "on a silver platter" isn't really used in Spanish. There's a similar one: "servido en charola de plata," meaning "served or delivered on a silver tray." I'm not entirely certain what it means, but it refers, for example, to using a silver tray to present something to someone.
Nareed
Nareed
February 3rd, 2012 at 7:37:50 AM permalink

Nothing wrong with the sentence. But it wouldn't make sense to many native speakers. The phrase "on a silver platter" isn't really used in Spanish.

I notice I keep saying things like this.

If it's any consolation, I kept tripping up this way when learning English. There was the time when at a stake house in NYC I ordered a steak cooked "three quarters." Or the time I wrote this sentence "The pillow behind her head felt like a hard stone." I forget what it was for, but I recall writing it.

It might be useful if you made a list of common idiomatic expressions in English, and I tried to provide equivalents in Spanish. Some simply won't exists, of course. Here's an example:

"Don't look at a gift horse in the mouth." A literal translation would be "No le veas la boca a un caballo regalado." Which sounds wrong if not outright nonsensical, even though there is a similar phrase used in Spanish: "A caballo regalado no se le ve colmillo." The intended meaning is the same, but the literal meanings vary. The Spanish phrase literally translates as "you don't look at a gift horse's fang." If I said that you'd probably think "What the f***?"
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 7:58:10 AM permalink

It might be useful if you made a list of common idiomatic expressions in English, and I tried to provide equivalents in Spanish. Some simply won't exists, of course.

Here are a couple of common idioms.

Son of a Gun:
Between A Rock And A Hard Place:
Curiosity Killed The Cat:
Excuse my French:
Cock and Bull Story:
Funny Farm:
Knock On Wood:
No Dice:
A Chip On Your Shoulder:
A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush:
Cross Your Fingers:
Peeping Tom:
Raining Cats and Dogs:
When Pigs Fly :

More literal idioms
A Slap on the Wrist:
Drink like a fish:
Back Seat Driver:
Your Guess Is As Good As Mine:
Great Minds Think Alike:

Most of them have been around for a while and people use them without knowing their origin. One of the better known origins is "Peeping Tom" which comes from the story of Lady Godiva which is a thousand year old tale of a noblewoman who rode naked through the town to protest something her husband did as governor. All the townspeople agreed not to look at her out of respect except Tom .

Google Translate seems to deal with this idiom as a complete phrase, suggesting that the idiom exists in Spanish as well.
A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush
Más vale pájaro en mano que ciento volando
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 3rd, 2012 at 8:00:22 AM permalink

It might be useful if you made a list of common idiomatic expressions in English, and I tried to provide equivalents in Spanish. Some simply won't exists, of course. Here's an example:

Sounds like fun!

1. The whole nine yards.
  2. A piece of cake.
  3. Kick the bucket.
  4. On cloud nine.
  5. Break a leg.
  6. Dog days of summer.
  7. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.
  8. Hat trick.
  9. In the buff.
  10. Knock on wood.

That's enough for now. I'm sure Paco can help shed light on the origin of some of these.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 12:32:53 PM permalink

Sounds like fun!

From memory, I only remember a few.
  1. The whole nine yards.
  2. This was a phrase that went back to buying bolts of cloth. One of the standards was 9 yards, so you were buying the whole bolt.
  3. A piece of cake.
  4. Probably obvious
  5. Kick the bucket.
  6. We discussed this in an earlier post. Someone else supplied the answer. It's actually uncertain origin but the belief is the old french word for a supporting beam was "boqet" (or something similar). When you strung an animal up by his legs to slaughter him, he would kick the beam in his death throes.
  7. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.
Obvious reference to Wagnerian operas. They went on for hours- I think the entire Ring cycle is over 20 hours long. The image of Brunhilde singing her final chorus is probably the most pervasive vision people have of opera, even though most operas that are performed are Italian style, and not Germanic. For instance if you ask someone to sing an operatic line, they will most often say Figaro-Figaro-Figaro.
' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://hmunro.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/brunhilde.jpg]

I would have to google the other ones.
Nareed
Nareed
February 3rd, 2012 at 4:27:57 PM permalink

Sounds like fun!

"I have a big mouth" Hablo demasiado.

I don't do lists, either:

Quote:

The whole nine yards.

Beats me. Translation "la pieza completa," or "todo completo" or even recently at gas stations in Mex City "litros de a litro."

Quote:

A piece of cake.

There's no idiom for it, but youc an say "fué muy fácil" or "es muy sencillo."

Quote:

Kick the bucket.

Estiró la pata.

Quote:

On cloud nine.

None. I can't even think of a good translation.

Quote:

Break a leg.

None. theater has completely different superstitions here, or so I'm told.

Quote:

Dog days of summer.

I don't know what that means.

Quote:

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

Formally none. But a veteran Football anouncer does reference it indirectly every now and then. For esample, he may say "No ha cantado la gorda," or "La dama con sobrepeso ya se está preparando."

Quote:

Hat trick.

I definitely don't do hockey :)

Quote:

In the buff.

None.

Quote:

Knock on wood.

Toco madera.

Well, that went over like a lead balloon ;)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 3rd, 2012 at 5:04:41 PM permalink
"A piece of cake" means something very easy. As in "That test was a piece of cake."

"Break a leg" means good luck, but is especially used in the context of theater, but I've heard or said it in all kinds of other situations. We learn from "The Producers" it is bad luck to say that on opening night.

A "Hat Trick" is when a single player scores three goals in hockey. However, I've heard it in other contexts. If Mitt Romney had won South Carolina I'm sure he would have gloated about scoring a "hat trick," although Iowa is still debatable who won.

Kick the bucket. = Estiró la pata.

I would translate the Spanish as "pull the foot (of an animal)." What is the story behind why that means to die?
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 5:44:31 PM permalink

I would translate the Spanish as "pull the foot (of an animal)." What is the story behind why that means to die?

I usually see it translated as "to stretch the foot".

Henry IV Part II Swifter then he that gibbets {hangs} on the Brewers Bucket. In this phrase a bucket is the wooden frame that was used to hang animals up by their feet for slaughter. This older meaning of the English word bucket came from the French trébuchet meaning a balance, or buque meaning a yoke.

Basically both phrases are referring to slaughter of animals. The process stretches their legs, and they often kick the wooden frame (bucket) that they are hanging from. Presumably you hang an animal for several reasons. The loss of blood would kill them much faster, you could control the blood flow, and you wouldn't have a dangerous animal running around in his death throes.

==================
A hat trick originally came from cricket, and is unlikely to have an equivalent in Spanish.

In the buff had a strange origin. In the 1500's it mean a particular kind of light skinned tunic. Somehow by the 1600's the color of the tunic got associated with naked skin. Since the word is also associated with making leather shine via polishing, it has two meanings. Once again, the derivation means it's unlikely to exist in Spanish.

Nareed
Nareed
February 3rd, 2012 at 5:45:01 PM permalink

"A piece of cake" means something very easy. As in "That test was a piece of cake."

See the translation

Quote:

"Break a leg" means good luck, but is especially used in the context of theater, but I've heard or said it in all kinds of other situations. We learn from "The Producers" it is bad luck to say that on opening night.

I know. I know about "the Scottish play," too. there's just no equivalent expression in Spanish other than "good luck."

Quote:

A "Hat Trick" is when a single player scores three goals in hockey. However, I've heard it in other contexts. If Mitt Romney had won South Carolina I'm sure he would have gloated about scoring a "hat trick," although Iowa is still debatable who won.

I know that. I just don't do hockey. Also, there's no equivalent expression in Spanish.

Quote:

It literally means "He/she/it stretched his/her/its leg." You're right that "pata" means an animal's leg or foot. A person's leg is a "pierna" and a foot is "pie." Just the same, you find dishes like "pierna de cerdo." A drumstick is "pierna de pollo." Go figure.

I don't know the allegorical meaning, if any, behind the expression.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 3rd, 2012 at 5:46:27 PM permalink
The earliest I remember "hat trick" being mentioned in American sports was the 40's. The Leafs used to award a fancy hat for a player scoring three goals. If I am not mistaken, this was a tradition stolen from across the pond (either cricket or rugby, I can't remember). I'm not sure if it had a non-sports theme in the beginning.

Nowadays, it seems to be used for any three-time, positive event.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 5:53:54 PM permalink
Quote: Face

, this was a tradition stolen from across the pond (either cricket or rugby, I can't remember).

The term was first used in 1835 in Cricket to describe HH Stephenson's feat of taking three wickets in three balls. A collection was held for Stephenson, and he was presented with a hat bought with the proceeds.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 6:15:10 PM permalink

I know. I know about "the Scottish play," too. there's just no equivalent expression in Spanish other than "good luck."

Blackadder makes fun of the Scottish Play tradition with some fuddy duddy actors.

There are dozens of explanations for the break a leg tradition. Probably the most boring and plausible was the break a leg is an old way of saying to bend at the knee. The actors were simply wishing that their fellow actors would get such a huge round of applause that they would have to break a leg and bow to the audience.

In any case it was a common phrase for a long time. The superstition that you didn't wish anyone "good luck" has also been around for a long time. The correlation of the two traditions first appeared in writing in 1921, when it was suggested that you wish someone would "break a leg" because it was the complete opposite of having "good luck". Mel Brooks was having fun with the legend,

Theater people (both actors and producers) generally try to downplay expectations because of stage fright and the mercurial nature of success. Most Broadway producers spend the night before opening night working on their next project. It's a superstition that underscores the idea that there is always another production, regardless of what happens the next day.
Nareed
Nareed
February 3rd, 2012 at 6:39:31 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Son of a Gun:

That's hard even to translate.

Quote:

Between A Rock And A Hard Place:

There is a very silly expression in mexico. I hesitate to even bring it up, because I hate stupid word play. But, as a friend of mine used to say, for the sake of completeness, here goes: De Guatemala a Guatepeor (ugh!, pardon me while I wash my fingers...)

Quote:

Curiosity Killed The Cat:

La curiosidad mató al gato.

Quote:

Excuse my French:

None.

Quote:

Cock and Bull Story:

None. But when you don't believe something someone tells you, you may say to him "Ahora cuéntmae una de vaueros."

[q}Funny Farm:

None.

Quote:

Knock On Wood:

See my other post.

Quote:

No Dice:

None. But a related one may be "Se te acabó el veinte." This goes back to when public phones took only the old, copper 20 cent pieces in exchange for a 3 minute local call. It means your time's up.

[q}A Chip On Your Shoulder:

None.

Quote:

A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush:

You already answered that one.

Quote:

Cross Your Fingers:

There is one, but I can't remember what it is. It must be "cruza los dedos," but that doesn't sound right.

Quote:

Peeping Tom:

Mirón.

Quote:

Raining Cats and Dogs:

está lloviendo a cántaros

Quote:

When Pigs Fly :

None. but if someone asks for something outrageous or unreasonable, you can tell him "¿Y tu nieve de que sabor?" Meaning "And what flavor of ice cream do you want?"

Remind me of the rest alter. It's been a long day.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 3rd, 2012 at 7:05:48 PM permalink

None. but if someone asks for something outrageous or unreasonable, you can tell him "¿Y tu nieve de que sabor?" Meaning "And what flavor of ice cream do you want?"

I thought the word for ice cream was helado. Nieve I thought was snow.
Nareed
Nareed
February 3rd, 2012 at 7:18:52 PM permalink

I thought the word for ice cream was helado. Nieve I thought was snow.

Yes. But nieve also means ice cream, specifically sorbet or other non-milk, non-cream types. A place that sells ice cream is known as a "Nevería"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 3rd, 2012 at 7:31:11 PM permalink
Have you never made ice cream from snow?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 3rd, 2012 at 9:19:49 PM permalink

A place that sells ice cream is known as a "Nevería"

In Argentina they called them a heladaría.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 3rd, 2012 at 10:05:10 PM permalink

Yes. But nieve also means ice cream, specifically sorbet or other non-milk, non-cream types. A place that sells ice cream is known as a "Nevería"

When you go into a shop, one group of buckets is called helados, and another group is called nieves.

Helados are rich and creamy and more like most American ice cream, nieves are a water-based "sherbet style" that are slightly different than anything I've seen in the USA. They come in many more flavors beyond the traditional berries.
Some examples are
cactus and
tres leches
leche quemada (burnt milk);
guayaba or guava
ciruela pasa (milk based natural prune with a whole dried prune inside)
beso oaxaqueño is rose petal;
mamey is an unusual tropical fruit which tastes like pumpkin pie
tuna is prickly pear (not to be confused with atun, or tuna)

Nieves are not "sno cones" which they call raspados which only small children seem to eat.

Paletas are popsicles which also come in more flavors and varieties than you would see in the USA.

Typical store in Oaxaca, but the chain is named after Michoacan (another Mexican state)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 3rd, 2012 at 11:23:26 PM permalink
Fecha: 4 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: Morder

Today's SWD means to bite. A related word is mordisquear, which means to nibble.

A question for the advanced readers is whether in general you can tack on a quear to the end of other verbs, as a diminutive form?

Ejemplo time

Me duelen las dientes, por tanto sólo mordisqueó mi helado. = My teeth hurt, so I only nibbled at my ice cream.
Nareed
Nareed
February 4th, 2012 at 4:47:09 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

When you go into a shop, one group of buckets is called helados, and another group is called nieves.

Often, yes. almost always. But I stand by my translation. "What flavor ice cream do you want?" Makes more sense as a sardonic reply than "What flavor sorbet do you want?"

Quote:

leche quemada (burnt milk);

Goat milk. It's called "cajeta" and it's very good. But it's not made with cow milk

Quote:

Paletas are popsicles which also come in more flavors and varieties than you would see in the USA.

Paleta also means lollipop. In a place that serves cabrito, it's the rib section of the baby goat.

Quote:

Typical store in Oaxaca, but the chain is named after Michoacan (another Mexican state)

Oh, that's nearly universal. Lots of these stores are called "La Michoacana." BTW, if you've never tried it, you should ask for grosella next time.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 4th, 2012 at 4:56:40 AM permalink
Speaking of Spanish idioms, I've wondered for about 25 years about what they were talking about in Don't Cry for Me Argentina with these:

Quote:

Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

Nareed
Nareed
February 4th, 2012 at 6:12:49 AM permalink

Me duelen las dientes, por tanto sólo mordisqueó mi helado. = My teeth hurt, so I only nibbled at my ice cream.

My teeth hurt, therefore he/she/it only nibbled on my ice cream?

This s a tough one, and you'll find two variations in pronunciation. The word you want is "mordisqueé" but most people will pronounce it mordisquié" Not that many people will think to use it. besides, you don't bite ice cream to begin with.

trivia: "mordida" is mexican slang for a bribe, commonly one given to a cop.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 4th, 2012 at 9:00:12 AM permalink

Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

I've heard that question a lot. For some reason the line sticks with a lot of people who hear the music.

No one has been able to prove definitively where all the nine sayings come from. "Cloud 9", "The whole 9 yards", and "Dressed to the 9's". Since most of the sayings are very old, they all may be using the number 9 as a stand-in for "a lot". Presumption is that a bolt of cloth was 9 yards. Dressed to the 9's are variously attributed to 9 feet of fabric used to make the clothing, to 9 button boots, or to a 9 button tunic. None of the theories is definitive.

The 6's and 7's quote is as old as "Middle English". In Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde (1374) the line:

Lat nat this wrechched wo thyn herte gnawe, But manly set the world on sexe and seuene. = Original Middle English
Let not this wretched woe gnaw at your heart, But manly set the world on six and seven. = Modern English Translation

The implication is that the phrase implies that you shake up the world. One theory is that there was a dice game whose rules have been lost, where there was a high risk bet on a six and seven.

Of course, the lyrics of the musical Evita implies that being at six's and seven's is to be much lower class than being at the nine's . I don't think Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever revealed exactly what he meant by that line.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 4th, 2012 at 10:48:09 PM permalink
Fecha: 5 de Febrero, 2012
Palabaras: patriota, gigante

In honor of the Super Bowl we have two SWDs today. Pretty obvious cognates, I won't bother to define them.

Patriota seems to imply a female patriot to me. Do both male and female patriots share that word? If so, why?

I'm uneasy about gigante meaning an extremely larger person, like the Jolly Green Giant. The examples I found seemed to me along the lines of "a giant in business." If it truly mean giants, in the biblical sense, is gigante the correct word? To answer my own question I did some research:

Quote: Genesis 6:4 (KJV)

There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Quote: Genesis 6:4 (NIV translation)

Al unirse los hijos de Dios con las hijas de los seres humanos y tener hijos con ellas, nacieron gigantes, que fueron los famosos héroes de antaño. A partir de entonces hubo gigantes en la tierra.

A bit off topic, but why haven't archeologists ever found any bones from these giants that used to walk the earth?

Ejemplo time

Espero que los Gigantes ganar, así que puede guardar tu alma. = I hope the Giants win, so I can keep your soul.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2012 at 6:00:23 AM permalink

Patriota seems to imply a female patriot to me. Do both male and female patriots share that word?

Yes.

Quote:

If so, why?

Because? :)

Quote:

If I truly mean giants, in the biblical sense, is gigante the correct word? To answer my own question I did some research:

Yes.

Check this link, it should carry the Superbowl on the cover all day: http://www.cancha.com/Defaultr.htm

Quote:

Espero que los Gigantes ganar, así que puede guardar tu alma. = I hope the Giants win, so I can keep your soul.

That's all wrong:

Espero que ganen los Gigantes, para que así puedA conservar tu alma.

To which I say: ¿Y tu nieve de que sabor? ;)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 5th, 2012 at 6:38:48 AM permalink

That's all wrong:

Espero que ganen los Gigantes, para que así puedA conservar tu alma.

I'm a long way from being able to put that together. If I read that elsewhere I would think it meant that I hope "they" win the Giants. The "para" and "así" seem redundant to me. The pueda I see now is the subjunctive. I keep forgetting about that tense.

To which I say: ¿Y tu nieve de que sabor? ;)

I read that as "What flavor is your snow?" My response is ... No entiendo.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2012 at 7:01:45 AM permalink

I'm a long way from being able to put that together.

Hmm. My English teacher had me working on sentences from day one.

Quote:

The "para" and "así" seem redundant to me.

It is, but it's also how people write it.

Quote:

I read that as "What color is your snow?" My response is ... No entiendo.

Look up a few posts. We've just covered this.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 5th, 2012 at 8:08:38 AM permalink

Look up a few posts. We've just covered this.

Ah. Ahora yo entiendo.

Me gusta Mono con Trozos Grandes. = I like Chunky Monkey (from Ben & Jerry's)

In fact, I plan to spend my $100 on Chunky Monkey milkshakes. I hope you'll join me in one when you're in town.

Check this link, it should carry the Superbowl on the cover all day: http://www.cancha.com/Defaultr.htm

I see they translated the teams the same way I did. It made me wonder how they translated other, less obvious, teams. For example, the Chargers, Packers, Raiders. When I searched, I was rebuffed by a password request. The Univision page uses the English names. Whenever I want to listen to a game on the car radio I often can only find it in Spanish. If I'm not mistaken, they use they use the English names as well, as well as just about every football term.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2012 at 9:04:43 AM permalink

Ah. Ahora yo entiendo.

"Ahora entiendo," or "Ya entiendo." The "yo" is superfluous.

Quote:

Me gusta Mono con Trozos Grandes. = I like Chunky Monkey (from Ben & Jerry's)

We do get Ben & Jerry's here, but it's outrageously expensive. A half liter package costs as much as three times what a one liter tub of regular ice cream goes for. So, I've never seen what flavors they have here. I doubt they translate the names, though.

Quote:

In fact, I plan to spend my $100 on Chunky Monkey milkshakes. I hope you'll join me in one when you're in town.

You know, you diet long enough you begin to find some high fat foods distasteful :) But I'd join you for one.

Quote:

I see they translated the teams the same way I did. It made me wonder how they translated other, less obvious, teams.

Here are all by division. Guess which is which:

NFC

Vaqueros
Gigantes
Aguilas
Pieles Rojas

Bucaneros
Panteras
Santos
Halcones

Vikingos
Empacadores
Osos
Leones

Cuarentaynueves
Carneros
Cardenales
Halcones Marinos

AFC

Acereros
Bengalies
Cafés
Cuervos

Delfines
Bills
Patriotas
Jets

Potros
Titanes
Jaguares
Texanos

Broncos
Cargadores
Jefes
And I've no idea what the Raiders are called in Spanish. I swear the local announcers call them "Los Raiders de Oakland."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 5th, 2012 at 9:49:55 AM permalink
I had to look some up...

NFC

Aguilas = Eagles
Panteras = Panthers
Halcones = Falcon or hawk (I thought those were different birds)
Empacadores = Packers
Carneros = Rams (any connection to the word carne?)

AFC

Bills (This one is obvious. However, it made me wonder where the English name comes from? Wikipedia says they are named after "Buffalo" Bill Cody. Did the Spanish translator consider calling them the Los Búfalos?)
Jets (Same issue here. Why don't they use the Spanish word for jet? I tried to look that up but got avión, which I understand to be the general word for plane? Isn't there a special one for a small fast jet-engine plane?)
Potros = Colts
Cargadores = Chargers
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2012 at 10:17:22 AM permalink

Bills (This one is obvious. However, it made me wonder where the English name comes from? Wikipedia says they are named after "Buffalo" Bill Cody. Did the Spanish translator consider calling them the Los Búfalos?)

Well, I've no idea if there is a Spanish translator at all. In any case, "Búfalos" is not the same as "Bills," even if they were named after Buffalo Bill.

Quote:

Jets (Same issue here. Why don't they use the Spanish word for jet? I tried to look that up but got avión, which I understand to be the general word for plane? Isn't there a special one for a small fast jet-engine plane?)

The Spanish word for "Jet" is "Jet" when talking about aircraft.
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2012 at 7:03:35 AM permalink

The Spanish word for "Jet" is "Jet" when talking about aircraft.

Still so, but it's incomplete.

When not talking of aircraft, the word for "jet" is "chorro." For instance, a water jet from a shower head would be "un chorro de agua."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 6th, 2012 at 6:44:08 PM permalink
Fecha: 6 de Febrero, 2012
Palabra: Agotar

I was going to make alma the SWD, but didn't want to rub it in.

Today's actual word means to exhaust or get tired out. In the reflexive form it can also mean to run out of something.

A question for the advanced readers is how does agotar differ from cansar?

Ejemplo time

Me agotado de niñera esos mocosos. = I'm exhausted from babysitting those brats.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 6th, 2012 at 7:05:40 PM permalink

Agotar is extreme cansar

cansar (Latin. campsāre) campsāre in Latin meant to ‘turn round, sail by’.
agotar (Latin eguttāre) Cansar extremadamente
fatigar (Latin fatigāre) Cognate English word fatigue
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2012 at 7:41:55 PM permalink

I was going to make alma the SWD, but didn't want to rub it in.

It's hard to say after so many posts, but it may be we already ran trough it anyway. You're keeping track, yes?

Quote:

Today's actual word means to exhaust or get tired out. In the reflexive form it can also mean to run out of something.

Good.

Quote:

"Agotar" means "to exhaust" while "cansar" means "to tire."

Quote:

Me agotado de niñera esos mocosos. = I'm exhausted from babysitting those brats.

I won't even try to point out the errors. "Estoy agotado de hacer de niñera a esos mocosos." or" Estoy agotado de cuidar a esos mocosos." There is no word for babysitter or babysitting in Spanish. "Niñera" is more akin to "nanny."
  • Jump to: