Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 6th, 2012 at 1:42:18 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Wiz,

I would love to hear you speak Spanish, so here's an idea. The next time you make a video with Dan or Angela, give us 30 or 60 seconds of your best Spanish. No fair practicing- just wing it. You could do this periodically and chart your progress.

Most people are more comfortable reading Spanish. Will Ferrell's pronunciation was extremely good, but he also had a dialect coach. In addition he wasn't actually conversing, but working from a script. I doubt that he could carry on a conversation.

Gringo reading Spanish. See if you can translate the words before she does.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 6th, 2012 at 1:50:37 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Why not a Spanish version completely on Utube ? If Dan does not speak Spanish, perhaps El Gaupo is available .

I think I said two words of Spanish on my radio show and Nareed said I needed to work on my pronunciation -- which is true. However, if I find a muchacha bonita to help out I will.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 6th, 2012 at 2:04:16 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think I said two words of Spanish on my radio show and Nareed said I needed to work on my pronunciation -- which is true. However, if I find a muchacha bonita to help out I will.

Marisol was my dialect coach in Oaxaca
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 6th, 2012 at 3:11:27 PM permalink

I think I said two words of Spanish on my radio show and Nareed said I needed to work on my pronunciation -- which is true.

It wasn't that bad. I could understand you. You just need a little improvement.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 6th, 2012 at 6:43:26 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Marisol was my dialect coach in Oaxaca

Que hermosa

Glad to know my pronunciation isn't too bad. However, wait until you have to endure my Rs and I think you'll reconsider. You're in for torture if I need to say rojo.
Nareed
Nareed
April 6th, 2012 at 7:11:50 PM permalink

Glad to know my pronunciation isn't too bad. However, wait until you have to endure my Rs and I think you'll reconsider. You're in for torture if I need to say rojo.

It would help to know what you've done regarding pronunciation.

When learning English I had the advantage of a large number of TV shows and movies to pay attention to, and copy the pronunciation from. But I also did some mental phonetics. One major difficulty, I think, when learning either language concerns the sounds that don't exist in one language. For example, the sounds for "th" and "wh" don't exist in Spanish. The "o" sound in Spanish does exist in English, but not consistently so. It's pronounced like the "u" in "run" or "rum."

Well, we'll see when I'm there.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 6th, 2012 at 7:24:15 PM permalink
We'll work on that when you get here. It is obviously hard to work on pronunciation on a forum.

If I may change the topic, how would you translate this, Supongo que estará encantado de no haberme hecho caso.

It is the hecho caso that is giving me trouble.

Here is another one.

El resto de nuestros parientes comenzaron a llegar a partir de las 11:00.

It is just the partir that I can't figure out what is doing in that sentence.
Nareed
Nareed
April 6th, 2012 at 7:42:10 PM permalink

If I may change the topic, how would you translate this, Supongo que estará encantado de no haberme hecho caso.

I suppose he'll be delighted for having ignored me.

Or: I suppose he'll be delighted for not having paid any attention to me.

Quote:

It is the hecho caso that is giving me trouble.

It's one of those expressions that don't seem to make sense. If you translate the words literally, it comes out as "made case," which is ridiculous.

What it means is to pay attention to someone or something. So "no hacer caso" means to ignore or to not pay attention. More formally you may say "Hizo caso omiso de mí," but in conversation that would be rare.

Quote:

The rest of our relatives began arriving at 11:00.

Or: The rest of our relatives started to arrive at 11:00.

Quote:

It is just the partir that I can't figure out what is doing in that sentence.

Again, the literal translation of "partir" is to split or to depart, most commonly. So you may even see a contradiction there :) Sorry, i can't tell you how that word got used like that but "a partir" means "starting at." It may refer to a time or a place. You already have an example for time, so: "La distancia se mide a partir de la línea de salida" = "The distance is measured from the starting line."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 6th, 2012 at 7:46:18 PM permalink
Thanks! :-)

No cross talk from me on that.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 6th, 2012 at 7:56:35 PM permalink

how would you translate this, Supongo que estará encantado de no haberme hecho caso.

"no hecho caso" means ignored or disregarded
"a partir de" translates as "after"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 7th, 2012 at 6:54:48 AM permalink
Fecha: 7 de April, 2012
Palabra: Compadecer

Today's SWD means to feel pity for.

A question for the advanced readers is how would compadecer differ from sentir lástima?

Ejemplo time.

Despues perdí mi novia por un baterista con cabello largo, me compadecí a mí mismo. = After I lost my girlfriend to a long-haired drummer, I felt sorry for myself.
Nareed
Nareed
April 7th, 2012 at 7:24:23 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is how would compadecer differ from sentir lástima?

I think "compadecer" should mean, or at one time meant, "to feel compassion for," which would be different from feeling pity. But, a) I'm not sure at all and b) let me turn the question around: how does "to feel pity for" differ from "to feel sorry for"? >:)

Quote:

Despues perdí mi novia por un baterista con cabello largo, me compadecí a mí mismo. = After I lost my girlfriend to a long-haired drummer, I felt sorry for myself.

"Después de QUE perdí A mi novia...." The rest is ok.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 7th, 2012 at 3:36:08 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

But, a) I'm not sure at all and b) let me turn the question around: how does "to feel pity for" differ from "to feel sorry for"? >:)

Well.once again you have an Anglo Saxon word and a Latin word doing double duty. Only very rarely did one verb completely push the other one out of common speech.

The meaning "to feel pity for" is about 5 centuries old in English.

Sorry is not related to 'sorrow' even though they have similar meanings.

The use of 'sorry' as an apology is a relatively new use, only recorded from 1834. Before that it only meant "regrettable or deplorable or unfortunate".

pacomartin
pacomartin
April 7th, 2012 at 3:53:58 PM permalink

Compadecer: Today's SWD means to feel pity for.

compadecer and agradecer similar .

I feel that I should point out that this word is spelled differently from the far more common words that are variations of "decir" with different prefixes.

decir (from latin dicĕre).
antedecir
bendecir
condecir
contradecir
desdecir
interdecir
maldecir
predecir
redecir
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 8th, 2012 at 1:20:07 PM permalink
I just split off all the taco posts to Tacos!.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 9th, 2012 at 4:18:22 AM permalink
Fecha: 9 de Abril, 2012
Palabra: ñoño

Today's SWD means a dullard/drip/spineless person. I encountered it as a translation of "idiots." However, I surprisingly don't see the word often, maybe because it sounds like baby talk. Speaking of which, "nono" is baby-talk Chinese for meat.

It should not be confused with nono, which means ninth.

I'm eager to hear Paco's etymology of this one.

Ejemplo time.

Sentí como un ñoño cuando ella dijo, "No es que encuentro apostar aburrido. Es que TE encuentro aburrido." = I felt like a drip when she said, "It isn't that I find gambling boring. It is that I find YOU boring."
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 9th, 2012 at 4:51:35 AM permalink

I'm eager to hear Paco's etymology of this one.

It came from the Late Latin word nonnus monk; tutor; old person (possibly from children's speech)

I will try to figure out how it evolved that way. At first glance it looks as if the word developed from the subject of the noun, to an imitation of the child saying the word. From there to a simpleton who is like a child.
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 6:56:37 AM permalink

Today's SWD means a dullard/drip/spineless person.

I thought it meant fat :)

The one place I've ever encountered that word is the show where Paco's picture came from. The fat kid was called "Ñoño."

Quote:

It should not be confused with nono, which means ninth.

Now, that I knew. You can also say "decimo nono" which means nineteenth. However, the term is very seldomly used. Mostly we say "noveno," when meaning "ninth"

Quote:

Sentí como un ñoño cuando ella dijo, "No es que encuentro apostar aburrido. Es que TE encuentro aburrido." = I felt like a drip when she said, "It isn't that I find gambling boring. It is that I find YOU boring."

"ME sentí..." The rest is ok.

I see you ran into the wall of "What do you call "gambling" in Spanish?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 9th, 2012 at 4:11:38 PM permalink

I see you ran into the wall of "What do you call "gambling" in Spanish?"

Indeed. Apostar means "to bet," but there doesn't seem to be a distinct term for "gambling." Correct me if I'm wrong.

Related question -- it is a figure of speech here to say "I bet..." and then something you feel is likely, but not certain, to happen. For example, "I bet our flight is going to be overbooked." However, it doesn't really imply the person is suggesting a wager. Does this happen in Spanish as well?
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 5:42:02 PM permalink

Indeed. Apostar means "to bet," but there doesn't seem to be a distinct term for "gambling." Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right. That's why I called it a wall.

Quote:

Related question -- it is a figure of speech here to say "I bet..." and then something you feel is likely, but not certain, to happen. For example, "I bet our flight is going to be overbooked." However, it doesn't really imply the person is suggesting a wager. Does this happen in Spanish as well?

Yes! It's not what you'd call very common, but it does get used. Both a simple "te apuesto a que el vuelo sale tarde," and the more complicated "te apuesto un millón de pesos que ganamos la licitación." And also "wanna bet?" as in:

Persona 1: No creo que salgamos tarde
Persona 2: ¿quieres apostar?
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 9th, 2012 at 7:22:05 PM permalink

Related question -- it is a figure of speech here to say "I bet..." and then something you feel is likely, but not certain, to happen.

The word bet is about 400 years old in English. It is of unknown origin as it first showed up in the slang of petty criminals. It may be an abbreviation of the word abet which we use more as a legal term, aiding and abetting is a common charge for helping someone commit a crime.

The idiomatic use, you bet is about 150 years old, and more or less means you can wager on a positive outcome.
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 8:05:50 PM permalink
Whoops! I forgot one.

The expression "you bet," as in answering "You bet I will," does not exist in Spanish.

You can come close. Here's an example:

P: ¿Seguro the vas de viaje?
R: Te apuesto que sí.

Q: Are your sure you're going on a trip?
A: I bet you I will.

So there's that difference.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 5:19:56 AM permalink
Fecha: 10 de April, 2012
Palabra: Navaja

I had to buy some things at Lowe's yesterday, including the glass panels for a welder's mask in preparation for the May 20 annular (corrected) eclipse (which I see Nareed will miss by three days). While there I noticed a pocket knife, which I decided to get as well. The package had wording in both English and Spanish. The Spanish referred to the knife as a navaja.

The cashier was a delightful woman from Columbia. So I asked her what the difference was between a navaja and a cuchillo. She said that a navaja was for killing things and a cuchillo was for eating. There was nobody in line behind me so we had a nice chat in Español. I asked if she did Spanish lessons, but she said "no." I gave her my card and told her to call me if she changed her mind. No call yet, lamentablemente.

However, as I was driving home I wondered about other kinds of knives. It turns out that I think her explanation was not quite right. According to Reverso, a navaja is a folding knife (such as I bought), a pen knife, or a razor. It seems that cuchillo is more of a general term. Here are some specific kinds of cuchillos:

♦ cuchillo de carne = steak knife
♦ cuchillo de caza = hunting knife
♦ cuchillo de cocina = kitchen knife
♦ cuchillo del pan = breadknife
♦ cuchillo de trinchar = carving knife

Here are some related words:

navaja de muelle or de resorte = Switchblade
hoja = blade + lots of other usages

Ejemplo time.

Me odié las baratas navajas de la ejército de Suiza cuando las hojas son muy difícil a sacar. = I hate cheap Swiss Army knives when it is difficult to open the blades.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 6:18:32 AM permalink

The cashier was a delightful woman from Columbia. So I asked her what the difference was between a navaja and a cuchillo. She said that a navaja was for killing things and a cuchillo was for eating.

The Latin words are:
cultellus: small knife, dagger
novācula: sharp knife, dagger, razor

From the examples the operative adjective is "sharp" which may or may not imply a weapon.

a swtichbloade is a navaja, and not a cuchillo
"navaja barbera" is specifically a razor
colloquially the word "navaja" is also a gossiper and a slanderer (who stabs you in the back)
"navaja" can also mean tusk or the sharp sting of insects.
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 6:50:03 AM permalink

I had to buy some things at Lowe's yesterday, including the glass panels for a welder's mask in preparation for the May 20 annual eclipse (which I see Nareed will miss by three days).

I try not to make fun of, nor call attention to, other people's typos and mispellings because I commit many of my own. But this one is just too good to pass up. So I will say I'm sorry in advance and go: An annual eclipse would be the ultimate Vegas tourist attraction! :)

Ok. moving on.

Quote:

So I asked her what the difference was between a navaja and a cuchillo. She said that a navaja was for killing things and a cuchillo was for eating.

I'd have told you "navaja" is blade and "cuchillo" is knife. And we would both have been wrong.

Cuchillo is knife. Navaja, though, according to the dictionary, is a cuchillo with a blade that can be folded or otherwise stored into the handle. this makes perfect sense.

Now it gets complicated. The word for blade would be either "hoja" (which also means leaf, page and a sheet of paper), or cuchilla.

I'll take questions after the class :)

Quote:

Ejemplo time.

Me odié las baratas navajas de la ejército de Suiza cuando las hojas son muy difícil a sacar. = I hate cheap Swiss Army knives when it is difficult to open the blades.

That should run you 200 pushups ;)

"Odio las navajas Suizas baratas cuando las hojas son dificiles de sacar."

I will overlook the use of "ejército de Suiza" because 1) it's correct, 2) you have no way of knowing "Swiss Army Knife" doesn't translate as "Navaja del Ejército Suizo (o de Suiza)" but as "Navaja Suiza," and 3) You correctly used a country's name in another language; that is often difficult to do.

You also did well in saying "sacar" ratehr than "abrir" when speaking of opening the blades.

Bonus points, what is the brand name of the authentic navajas Suizas?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 10th, 2012 at 6:58:37 AM permalink

How should one say "Victorinox" in Spanish?
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 7:05:45 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

How should one say "Victorinox" in Spanish?

Brand names should not be translated.

But there is another manufacturer who claims to make the real Swiss Army Knife. The logos are so similar, for a long time I didn't even realize they were two.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 7:32:49 AM permalink

That should run you 200 pushups ;)

That seems rather harsh. Formal protest.

"Odio las navajas Suizas baratas cuando las hojas son dificiles de sacar."

Why would you say "Me gusta" but not "Me odio"?

you have no way of knowing "Swiss Army Knife" doesn't translate as "Navaja del Ejército Suizo (o de Suiza)" but as "Navaja Suiza,"

What happened to the ejército? That is what the Swiss Army is famous for.

You also did well in saying "sacar" ratehr than "abrir" when speaking of opening the blades.

I considered various other words. However, I think of sacar as meaning "to extract," and know it gets used a lot, so thought that was my best bet.

I see Doc beat me to it. However, I think there are two brands. The Victorinox seems to be the most known. There is also the Wenger, which I prefer. The blades of the Victorninox are harder to extract, which as you know from my ejemplo, bothers me.

Source: Wikipedia.
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 7:46:16 AM permalink

That seems rather harsh. Formal protest.

Talk to the smiley :)

Quote:

Good question. (BTW "good question" is what I say when I don't have a good answer, which I shall proceed to prove:) I'm not sure. I am sure this is where my grammar limitations leave me. So I'll give you an alternative. You could say "Me molesta cuando las hojas son dificles de sacar." Sorry, I just can't explain it. Maybe Paco can help.

Quote:

What happened to the ejército? That is what the Swiss Army is famous for.

Well, until I began to learn English, I had no idea they were called "Swiss Army Knives." In Mexico, maybe in Spanish in general, they're not known as being related to the Swiss Army, just to Switzerland.

BTW in Mexico Enchiladas Suizas are enchiladas with lots of cheese and a mild or bland sauce (with little or no chiles).

Quote:

I considered various other words. However, I think of sacar as meaning "to extract," and know it gets used a lot, so thought that was my best bet.

That amkes it even better. Let's take off 100 pushups ;)

Quote:

I see Doc beat me to it. However, I think there are two brands. The Victorinox seems to be the most known. There is also the Wenger, which I prefer. The blades of the Victorninox are harder to extract, which as you know from my ejemplo, bothers me.

Adn we have the two brands.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 7:48:57 AM permalink

While gustar has a transitive definition in the dictionary, it is used overwhelmingly as an intransitive verb. The sthng is pleasing to me.

The word odio is a noun, but it can also be the first person present indicative of odiar which is a transitive verb only meaning "tener odio".

Although you might think that logically, they verbs are similar in usage, "odiar" can only be used transitively.

One grammerian refers to "gustar, fascinar, and encantar" as inverse verbs. They are used inversely to the way they are used in other languages like English. The verb odiar is not inverse. The reason why some verbs ended up as inverse verbs, and others did not is pretty complex. It seems there was some changes to the Spanish language in the 17th century.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 10:08:36 AM permalink
Thanks for the above Paco. No further comment on that.

On another topic, how would this sentence be translated:

Pero una vez más ... mi gozo en un pozo.

Literally I would translate that as "But once more ... my happiness was in a well." However, I'm sure there is some figure of speech at play. It is clear from the context of the story that the main character was having a bad day.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 10th, 2012 at 10:36:31 AM permalink

I would translate that as "But once more ... my happiness was in a well." However, I'm sure there is some figure of speech at play. It is clear from the context of the story that the main character was having a bad day.

Sounds similar to the English expression "down in the dumps."
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 10:51:30 AM permalink

On another topic, how would this sentence be translated:

Pero una vez más ... mi gozo en un pozo.

Literally I would translate that as "But once more ... my happiness was in a well." However, I'm sure there is some figure of speech at play. It is clear from the context of the story that the main character was having a bad day.

Do you know how gratifying it is to have a bright students Don't blush. You did exactly right trying to infer meaning from context. Context is all-important when it comes to understanding a language. The literal meaning is also right.

But it is a figure of speech. It denotes disappointment or sadness.

Doc gets a "well done," too.

Oh, I'd need to see the whole context to offer an accurate translation. But in general, or in the abstract, I'd go with something like "Once again it was not to be." or "Once more I wound up being disappointed."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 11:23:29 AM permalink

Do you know how gratifying it is to have a bright students Don't blush.

Who is this other student you're tutoring? I'm jealous.

But it is a figure of speech. It denotes disappointment or sadness.

Yes, I figured that. I'm more interested in what the happiness is doing in the well in the first place? How did it get there and why doesn't somebody use the bucket to try to fish it out?

Oh, I'd need to see the whole context to offer an accurate translation. But in general, or in the abstract, I'd go with something like "Once again it was not to be." or "Once more I wound up being disappointed."

That is I'm sure the meaning the writer intended. The whole chapter took place on Christmas, in which the main character got only a few lousy gifts, while his brother and friend got great stuff. He made the pozo en en mozo comment when a friend had a big build-up to his gift, which turned out to be something he didn't want, and had to put on a fake show of gratitude.

By the way, the English version says "But once again, I let my hopes get too high." As I wrote before, the translator puts more of an emphasis on capturing the general feeling of the story, rather than an accurate word for word translation. I assume there is no direct idiom in Spanish for "high hopes."
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 11:54:24 AM permalink

Who is this other student you're tutoring? I'm jealous.

Doc seems to be interested :)

Quote:

Yes, I figured that. I'm more interested in what the happiness is doing in the well in the first place? How did it get there and why doesn't somebody use the bucket to try to fish it out?

Have you ever seen an actual well with the circular stone walls and a bucket on a winch? Me neither. I imagine the imagery conveys joy being inaccessible.

Quote:

By the way, the English version says "But once again, I let my hopes get too high." As I wrote before, the translator puts more of an emphasis on capturing the general feeling of the story, rather than an accurate word for word translation. I assume there is no direct idiom in Spanish for "high hopes."

From what you say I woudl have done it differently, but it isn't so bad.

I'd translate "high hopes" as "grandes esperanzas," literally. It can also be "grandes expectativas," or just "esperaba demasiado."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 12:15:10 PM permalink

I'd translate "high hopes" as "grandes esperanzas," literally. It can also be "grandes expectativas," or just "esperaba demasiado."

The book is supposed to be the diary of a kid about 10-years-old, and is supposed to be funny. Somehow I think that grandes esperanzas sounds kind of lofty for a 10-year-old boy.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 12:34:55 PM permalink

The book is supposed to be the diary of a kid about 10-years-old, and is supposed to be funny. Somehow I think that grandes esperanzas sounds kind of lofty for a 10-year-old boy.

Looks like something every 10 year old boy wants.
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 12:56:37 PM permalink

Yes. On the other hand, children in such books use a vocabulary no real child would ever use. Anyway, that's why I added "esperaba demasiado," to my other post.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 10th, 2012 at 2:08:23 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Looks like something every 10 year old boy wants.

Great Expectations. Charles Dickens.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 5:09:30 PM permalink

Yes. On the other hand, children in such books use a vocabulary no real child would ever use. Anyway, that's why I added "esperaba demasiado," to my other post.

Odio el canto llama esperaba demasiadol.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 11th, 2012 at 6:46:04 AM permalink
Fecha: 11 de April, 2012
Palabra: Derribar

Today's SWD means to knock down, pull down, bring down, etc..

It should not be confused with demoler, which means to demolish. However, I have a harder time distinguishing derribar from atropellar. I think derribar is more for intentional actions, and atropellar unintentional. For example, I think if you were trying to knock down bottles with baseballs in a carnival game you would use derribar, which if you hit a pedestrian accidentally with your car you would use atropellar. Hopefully the advanced readers can provide better clarification.

Ejemplo time.

Traté de la impresionar con un castillo de arena, pero a ella se impresionó sólamente con el matón que lo derribó. = I tried to impress her by building a sand castle, but she was only impressed with the bully who knocked it down.
Nareed
Nareed
April 11th, 2012 at 7:06:30 AM permalink

It should not be confused with demoler, which means to demolish. However, I have a harder time distinguishing derribar from atropellar.

I understand "atropellar" as "to run over someone or something," as running over someone with a car. The word is almost used exclusively in the sense of a pedestrian being hit or run over by a car, whether on purpose or not (of course, most such incidents are accidents).

However, one definition in the dictionary is "Derribar o empujar violentamente a alguien para abrirse paso." So... :)

The related word "atropello" means being run over or stomped on metaphorically. For example, if a government official capriciously clsoes down your business, you'd say in outrage "¡Esto es un atropello!"

Quote:

Traté de la impresionar con un castillo de arena, pero a ella se impresionó sólamente con el matón que lo derribó. = I tried to impress her by building a sand castle, but she was only impressed with the bully who knocked it down.

"Traté de impresionarLA con un castillo de arena, pero ella se impresionó solamente..."
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 7:17:18 AM permalink

However, I have a harder time distinguishing derribar from atropellar. I think derribar is more for intentional actions, and atropellar unintentional.

atropellar has as it's root word tropa or "troops", and implies a group of troops taking over a city. The verbs are complex with multiple definitions, but atropellar implies you were run over by a car, invaded by droves of something like an animal, a moving crowd, or in a figurative sense by a political movement.

There is a sense of unintentional in the word atropellar , because you are doing something hastily and without due consideration (like an invading army). But it is not "unintentional" necessarily in the sense of "innocent". It's like invading troops that accidentally blow up the church.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 11th, 2012 at 4:19:15 PM permalink
Thanks. Good responses. Which word would you use for these situations? I'm not asking for a translation of the whole sentence, just the appropriate "knock down" word.

1. The wind was so strong it knocked me over.
  2. The communist liberators knocked down the capitalist oppressors in the war.
  3. If you knock down the stack of bottles with the baseball you win a teddy bear.
  4. When she dumped me she knocked down all my self confidence.
  5. Knock down this domino and they all will fall.
  6. The police had to knock down the door to get in.
  7. The earthquake knocked down all the cans from the shelves.
Nareed
Nareed
April 11th, 2012 at 4:38:31 PM permalink

Which word would you use for these situations? I'm not asking for a translation of the whole sentence, just the appropriate "knock down" word.

1. me derribó
2. let me get back to you on that
3. si derribas
4. later
5. derriba
6. derribar
7. tiró todas las latas.

I hope it's clear.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 11th, 2012 at 7:29:02 PM permalink

7. tiró todas las latas.

I hope it's clear.

Not quite. I was going to say that I thought tirar meant to throw, but I see it also can mean knock down, to add to the confusion. Here are two examples at reverso:

¡abre, o tiro la puerta abajo! = open up, or I'll break the door down!
el viento ha tirado la valla = the wind has knocked the fence down

That said, why didn't you use tirar for #1 and #6 below:

Nareed
Nareed
April 11th, 2012 at 7:40:22 PM permalink

That said, why didn't you use tirar for #1 and #6 below:

Poetic license :P

Seriously, it's usage, mostly. You can appropriately use "tirar" in both the above examples, but my first impulse is "derribar."
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 9:00:08 PM permalink

Seriously, it's usage, mostly. You can appropriately use "tirar" in both the above examples, but my first impulse is "derribar."

Difficult thing about language is that people often make thousands of these arbitrary choices. But without them you always sound foreign.

I was wondering if the following word is used frequently in newspapers in Mexico city:
hegemonía (Del gr. ἡγεμονία, dirección, jefatura).Supremacía que un Estado ejerce sobre otros.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 12th, 2012 at 6:15:01 AM permalink
Fecha: 12 de Abril, 2012
Palabra: Rentabilizar

Today's SWD means to cash in on, or make more profitable.

A question for the advanced readers is how does rentabilizar differ from aprovechar. I think that aprovechar is more common and probably a safer choice for most situations. Based on very little information, its seems rentabilizar might be better for taking advantage of somebody else's situation. My degree of confidence on that is very low.

Ejemplo time.

Doné mucho dinero a su campaña, así despues El ganó la elección intenté rentabilizar el favor. = I donated a lot of money to his campaign, so after he wins I intend to cash in on the favor.
Nareed
Nareed
April 12th, 2012 at 6:34:53 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers is how does rentabilizar differ from aprovechar.

I don't see a relation between the two words. "Aprovechar" means "to make us of" or "to take advantage of." It's the opposite of "desperdiciar" = "to waste."

The word you chose is not very common. It's the kind of word most people do know, but woulndn't be able to use in a sentence. I can't quite figure it out myself. I'd say you encounter it, if at all, int he financial section of the newspaper and nowhere else.

Quote:

Doné mucho dinero a su campaña, así despues El ganó la elección intenté rentabilizar el favor. = I donated a lot of money to his campaign, so after he wins I intend to cash in on the favor.

Ok, I just can't figure out if your sue of the word is right or not. I'd ditch it and use somethign else, something clearer. So:

"Doné mucho dinero a su campaña. Así que cuando el ganE la elección, pienso pasarle la factura."

This maans what you said in English, except "factura" means "bill" in this context. So the second sentence means "So after he wins the election I intend to pass him the bill."

Back to Spanish, you coudl have said "...pienso cobrarle," meaning "I intend to collect."
  • Jump to: