Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 24th, 2011 at 11:24:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'll add that to my collection. I already knew of pechos, tetas, and lolas.

"mama" is more of a formal term. It can be sued as "breast," too, but there's already a word, "pecho," for breast. usually you encounter it in terms like "cancer de mama," which means "breast cancer."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 24th, 2011 at 12:12:41 PM permalink

Meanwhile, I still find it strange that finger and toe have to share the same word. My daughter says that is also true in French.

It was true in Latin that digitus meant "finger or toe" so it is true in all of it's offshoot languages.

The word toe probably originally meaning "fingers" as well.
reference - English etymology dictionary
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
June 25th, 2011 at 8:26:53 PM permalink
I'd like to suggest we let the SWOD have a summer vacation. I've got two more trips planned this summer, and have a lot of work to squeeze in between them.

I really appreciate all the help Nareed and Paco have given me. However, let's all take a break from the SWOD until sometime in late August. Feel free to keep writing here about Spanish, but there will not be a SWOD, at least posted by me, for a while.

Gracías.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 25th, 2011 at 11:11:50 PM permalink

I've got two more trips planned this summer, and have a lot of work to squeeze in between them.

Hopefully you will get to speak Spanish on your trips
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 26th, 2011 at 2:32:26 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Hopefully you will get to speak Spanish on your trips.

Unfortunately, not. Both are within the US and Canada, to places that speak less Spanish than here. I'm worried that the backsliding has already started. I've tried to improve my Spanish at several other times in my life but always gave up on it -- right about at this point.

I still hope to go to Argentina later in the year.
Nareed
Nareed
June 26th, 2011 at 6:17:52 AM permalink

I'm worried that the backsliding has already started. I've tried to improve my Spanish at several other times in my life but always gave up on it -- right about that this point.

Which brings up the question: why do you want to improve your Spanish? I'd take "because I want to" as a valid reason.

My parents were very insistent that I learn English, because that was supposed to give me some kind of advantage in business. Well, it hasn't, but I'm glad I gained fluency just the same. For one thing I wouldn't have been able to develop a real taste for science fiction had I confined myself to reading Spanish translations. That alone is priceless.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 26th, 2011 at 8:17:35 AM permalink

Hopefully you will get to speak Spanish on your trips

Well, Frank, you sent me on multiple trips to IMDB this time! I recognized both Crosby and Cantinflas in the photo, but I didn't remember them being in a film together. I went through the IMDB lists of films in which each of them appeared as actors (two rather long lists), but I didn't find any matches. Then I looked at the title of the photo and saw it was from "Pepe" (I don't remember whether I ever saw the whole film). It took more IMDB digging to figure out why Crosby's "filmography" doesn't list him as an actor in Pepe -- he appeared as "himself".

Nice touch.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 26th, 2011 at 8:35:13 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Then I looked at the title of the photo and saw it was from "Pepe" (I don't remember whether I ever saw the whole film). It took more IMDB digging to figure out why Crosby's "filmography" doesn't list him as an actor in Pepe -- he appeared as "himself".

Cantinflas was sometimes known as the Mexican Charlie Chaplin. In the 1950's, Mexico was the Hollywood of Latin America. He was cast in Around the World in 80 Days, but not as a Mexican. I believe he was supposed to be Egyptian. The only other English movie that he did was Pepe, with 35 cameos.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 26th, 2011 at 9:14:58 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Which brings up the question: why do you want to improve your Spanish? I'd take "because I want to" as a valid reason.

"Just because I want to" pretty much is the reason. I'm not one to just sit still. At any given time I've always got some self-improvement projects going, both mentally and physically. However, why Spanish in particular? Every time I go to a Spanish speaking country I really wish I could speak the language. I just have a curiosity about things and it bothers me that I can't understand what people say in Spanish. The kind of curiosity Tarzan had in the first Tarzan book about English. I have also thought about doing a gambling site in Spanish.
Nareed
Nareed
June 26th, 2011 at 10:02:08 AM permalink

Cantinflas was sometimes known as the Mexican Charlie Chaplin. In the 1950's, Mexico was the Hollywood of Latin America.

He's my favorite Mexican actor. Not so much for his comedy, which is hilarious but quite repetitive, but rather for his very short animated series called, if memory serves, "El Show de Cantinflas." These were cartoons about five minutes long dealing with history, science or inventors. That helped me get interested in science, technology and history (along with my junior high history teacher).

BTW you missed some code in your post:

Quote:

• Jump to: