Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 312
June 26th, 2011 at 11:51:05 AM permalink
regarding Mexican comedians, there is more emphasis on "making silly faces" or whatever you would call that... I think this may be true of French comedy too. I have gotten that impression in these cases anyway.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 26th, 2011 at 12:04:08 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

"Just because I want to" pretty much is the reason. I'm not one to just sit still. At any given time I've always got some self-improvement projects going, both mentally and physically. However, why Spanish in particular? Every time I go to a Spanish speaking country I really wish I could speak the language.

You know, "just because" gets thoroughly contradicted by concrete, practical, sensible reasons ;) I've thought about learning Italian because I want to take a long trip to Italy someday. I know you've been to Spanish speaking countries more than once in your life already.

So there :P

Quote:

I just have a curiosity about things and it bothers me that I can't understand what people say in Spanish.

Eavesdropping is rude in all languages.

Of course if you think people are talking about you in your presence assuming you wont' understand, that's a legitimate grievance. We used to do that to Hebrew teachers imported from Israel. They learned very fast.

Quote:

I have also thought about doing a gambling site in Spanish.

I'd be happy to help you with that, for a reasonable fee. (notice the lack of a smiley).
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
June 26th, 2011 at 12:13:38 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

regarding Mexican comedians, there is more emphasis on "making silly faces" or whatever you would call that... I think this may be true of French comedy too. I have gotten that impression in these cases anyway.

There's some of that, but it's more or less recent.

Cantinflas excelled with verbal humor. His trademark was to speak whole paragraphs with very little content, full of one-liners, absurdities, word play and some innuendo. That style led to a new word "cantinflear," which means to speak a lot without saying much or anything.

Other comics of his era tended to silly words, physical comedy and silly faces. The most notable was Manuel "el loco" Valdez.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 26th, 2011 at 12:50:11 PM permalink
Pedro Gonzalez was quite amusing, but he was not Mexican -- a Latino Texan, I think. I remember first seeing him on Groucho Marx's TV show, where he was introduced just as if he were any other ordinary contestant. Yes, I think Groucho used a number of shills on that show.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 26th, 2011 at 1:22:02 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Yes, I think Groucho used a number of shills on that show.

Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez on you bet your life

His bio says that was his first appearance on TV or a movie, but he had spent his whole life performing on the stage. He was age 27 on this show and is clearly stage acting. He was such a hit on the show that he made a career performing in movies and television. He was born in Texas.

I was a fan of the TV series, The Event which starred his grandson.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
July 2nd, 2011 at 3:33:08 PM permalink
What is with the two dots above the u in the word vergüenza (shame)? How common is this letter in Spanish? How is it pronounced? If you're playing the Spanish edition of Scrabble, do they have a ü? If not, can you use a regular u, or the ú, to make the word vergüenza?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
July 2nd, 2011 at 3:45:19 PM permalink

What is with the two dots above the u in the word vergüenza (shame)?

It's called "diéresis." It changes how the g is pronounced with a ui or ue phoneme. ask your tutor, she should know all the technical terms and be able to provide examples.

Quote:

How common is this letter in Spanish?

Not very.

Quote:

How is it pronounced?

See above. I'm no good at conveying pronunciation in print.

Quote:

If you're playing the Spanish edition of Scrabble, do they have a ü? If not, can you use a regular u, or the ú, to make the word vergüenza?

Good question. I've no clue.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 2nd, 2011 at 3:47:25 PM permalink

What is with the two dots above the u in the word vergüenza (shame)? How common is this letter in Spanish? How is it pronounced? If you're playing the Spanish edition of Scrabble, do they have a ü? If not, can you use a regular u, or the ú, to make the word vergüenza?

It's fairly rare, and only used with güi or güe.

Without la diéresis or la crema , the u would be silent, serving only to indicate that the g is pronounced as a hard g rather than similar to the j.

Examples are
vergüenza, shame;
cigüeña, stork or crank;
pingüino, penguin; and
agüero, prediction.
Nareed
Nareed
July 2nd, 2011 at 4:01:30 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

cigüeña, stork or crank;

Not quite. Crank, as in a piece of a car's transmission, is called "cigüeñal."
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 2nd, 2011 at 7:01:30 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Not quite. Crank, as in a piece of a car's transmission, is called "cigüeñal."

I am a little confused by the first definition

cigüeña: feminine
Codo que tienen los tornos y otros instrumentos y máquinas en la prolongación del eje, por cuyo medio se les da con la mano movimiento rotatorio.

cigüeñal: masc
Eje con codos que transforma un movimiento rectilíneo en circular.

• Jump to: