Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 30th, 2011 at 2:18:55 PM permalink
Quote: only1choice

The roofing material used on many of the poorer peoples shacks is the metal with ridges that you might see here as a fence around a used car parts lot.

That's typical all throughout Latin America.

Quote:

When barbecuing if your not using gas you have to buy black market charcoal. The charcoal that we use is not sold. The charcoal they use is made from the trees, I don't know the process.

All charcoal is made from trees. Charcoal is just charred wood. Most of the volatiles are gone, which is why it's hard to light. The brickets you find in stores are processed further, compressed and who know what else, but they're essentially charred wood. What you got probably looks like charred wood, crumbly and sheds lots of black dust. You can get charcoal like that in Mexico in stores.

Here we call it carbón, which does mean carbon (imagine that!!), but isn't.

Oh, I juts recalled one of the worst translations I've ver heard. There was a kid's science show called Beakman's World (pretty good regarding science, BTW). A local channel carried a dubbed version. Well, once Beakman got this question: How much lead is in a lead pencil? The answer is "There is no lead in a lead pencil," as "lead" refers to the color of the graphite used in pencils.

In the dubbed version, the question was posed "Cuanto carbón hay en un lápiz?" the answer was "No hay carbón en los lápices!"

Of course a pencil is made of: wood, graphite, rubber, glue a little metal ring and some paint. Well, the wood and rubber are mostly carbon, and the graphite is almost pure carbon! the glue may have a lot of carbon, too, as might the paint. The metal may have none (unless it's stainless steel....)

Sure, they probably used "carbón" meaning charcoal, of which there is none in pencils. But a science show should be accurate.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 30th, 2011 at 4:43:43 PM permalink
Quote: only1choice

On another trip that I didn't make my brother-in-law another "gringo" was close to buying a residence in Samana but the deal fell thru.

People get all excited about these ultra remote locations. I think it would be a great place to go to rent a house, but if you are going to purchase I think you'll get bored. A lot of people don't think about Veracruz, Mexico but I think it's a fun place to go. Good dining options, and very comfortable climate.

You can get an estuary home in Boca del Rio, Veracruz MX 4 bedroom, 5 bath, 3000 square feet, slip for boat, easy access to Gulf of Mexico for $300K USD.

Here's a home in the mountains of Cordoba, Veracruz for $580K US dollars that is over 5000 sq feet, 6 bedrooms, 6 baths, 3 levels, with two separate apartments with their own bath. You can fly to Mexico City and catch a luxury bus right from the airport directly to Cordoba.

I'm not saying you would necessarily want such a large home, but you can get places for a lot less than Samana Bay, and it won't take all day to get there.

I've met too many people who are sick and tired of rebuilding their homes after hurricanes. Cordoba is easy to get to, and it's in the mountains about 65 miles from the beach.

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
May 30th, 2011 at 4:49:50 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

There is a beautiful bay, called Samana about 23 air miles from Monte Plata.

My wife and I visited Samana on a cruise ship in 1982. Someone recognized that such a beautiful bay could attract tourists, and they had built a nice pier and a resort hotel on a mountain nearby. Unfortunately, they had not developed the local infrastructure to support a tourist industry in a professional way. It was mostly dumping a couple thousand American tourists ashore where they were inundated with impoverished locals begging or trying to sell anything that they might get a little money for. It was the worst cruise port experience we have ever had, and the cruise line soon discontinued that destination.

In the last couple of years, I have seen itineraries for ships once again going to Samana. I hope they have done some planning and provided an improved infrastructure for tourism. If they do it right, the tourists could have a wonderful time and would bring substantial money into an area that needs it. The way they did it in the early '80s was stupid.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 30th, 2011 at 5:33:42 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

My wife and I visited Samana on a cruise ship in 1982. Someone recognized that such a beautiful bay could attract tourists, and they had built a nice pier and a resort hotel on a mountain nearby.

As I understand it, it is one of the few places you can see humpback whales relatively close to shore. Normally you must go substantially far to see to observe this species. Note that I am not talking about gray whales which come very close to the California shore.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
May 31st, 2011 at 12:38:07 AM permalink
Fecha: 31 de Mayo, 2011
Palabra del día: LUJURIA

Thanks Nareed for filling in my zapatos while I was away.

Today's word is lujaria = lust. In English lust can be a noun or a verb, but it seems in Spanish there is only an equivalent to the noun form. If you want to translate the verb then I think the best choice would be desear, which means to desire, but not necessarily in a sexual way.

So, let's have an ejemplo.

Ginger me llena de lujuria. = Ginger fills me with lust.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 31st, 2011 at 12:40:14 AM permalink
Maryanne me llena de el horny.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 31st, 2011 at 6:22:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Fecha: 31 de Mayo, 2011
Palabra del día: LUJURIA

I saw La virgen de la Lujuria in San Diego and Arturo Ripstein made a personal appearance to discuss his movie. He is one of the better known artistic directors from Mexico.

RAE defines it as un deseo sexual desordenado e incontrolable (disordered and uncontrollable). It comes from Latin word luxus where obviously we get the word luxury.

In Middle English "lust" meant
"any source of pleasure or delight," also
"an appetite," also
"a liking for a person," also
"fertility" (of soil).

In the 16th century the word "lust" was chosen for biblical translations for "desire of the flesh", and it slowly lost it's more mild mannered definitions from it's use in the bible. The older meanings show up in the movie title "Lust for Life" about Vincent Van Gogh, and the word "lusty" still carries meaning of big appetite and joviality, but "lustful" is reserved primarily for "sexual desire".

I am not sure why there is not an equivalent verb in Spanish, but "desar" in the proper context is usually used.
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2011 at 7:02:18 AM permalink

Thanks Nareed for filling in my zapatos while I was away.

You're welcome.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
May 31st, 2011 at 10:51:26 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I saw La virgen de la Lujuria in San Diego...

Thank you for not posting the movie poster directly on the site, and keeping things PG-13 around here. The link may come in handy if I make cola a future word of the day.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2011 at 11:07:16 AM permalink

Thank you for not posting the movie poster directly on the site, and keeping things PG-13 around here. The link may come in handy if I make cola a future word of the day.

You definitely should. That word ought to drive you crazy :P

• Jump to: