Thread Rating:

Poll

42 votes (65.62%)
2 votes (3.12%)
5 votes (7.81%)
3 votes (4.68%)
9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 5th, 2023 at 8:25:38 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: DRich


The playoffs this year is still only four teams,


okay, I don't want to dwell too much on this, but -
if all 5 teams that are currently undefeated remain undefeated until the end of the season -
except for whoever loses the Ohio State/Michigan game -
don't you think that the loser of that game will not be one of the four chosen_____?

.
link to original post



Yes. No ‘power 5’ undefeated team will be excluded from the playoffs, unless there were more than 4 of them.
link to original post



There are only 5 now and two of them play each other so there won't be more than four. I would be very surprised if there was more than three. Washington will probably play Oregon again, Georgia will probably play Alabama, Fla St still plays Miami and Florida plus will probably play in the ACC championship, Michigan still Plays Penn State and Ohio State.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 5082
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
November 5th, 2023 at 1:38:03 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If Bama can continue to play at the level they showed last night, the rest of the teams are in trouble.

An interesting piece of trivia from last night's game- Can you name the last two QBs to beat Bama twice in their college career?
link to original post



I think the trivia question was "Who are the last two QBs to beat a Saban-coached college team twice consecutively?" The answer was (as I remember it) Dree Brees (whose Purdue team beat Saban's Michigan St team twice consecutively) and Rex Grossman (whose Fla. St squad beat Saban's LSU team twice consecutively.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 5th, 2023 at 2:16:30 PM permalink
Josh Dobbs for the win….

The non stop commentary about his academic background gets more than a little bit old though. He’s a football player playing football, it’s okay to talk about that once in a while while he’s playing.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 5082
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
November 5th, 2023 at 3:58:19 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Josh Dobbs for the win….

The non stop commentary about his academic background gets more than a little bit old though. He’s a football player playing football, it’s okay to talk about that once in a while while he’s playing.
link to original post



Yeah, my wife and I were breathless as we watched that game and very thrilled at Dobbs' performance.

Sportscasters never say that someone is "intelligent" - they say he "makes good decisions" or in Dobbs' case "he has an aerospace engineering degree and had a 4.0 GPA." But listen to Dobbs do a press conference or an interview - he's a very impressive guy because he is . . . intelligent and articulate.

And, with Dobbs there's something positive for sportscasters to talk about. With Deshaun Watson, it's just 23 massage therapists that he pressured to perform oral sex on him.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 5th, 2023 at 5:18:08 PM permalink
I suppose they could always talk about how Watson was at one time a good NFL quarterback.

If Dobbs leads the Vikes to the playoffs perhaps he can be the he new Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, or Dalton. Get brought in to warm the seat until the franchise guy is ready. He’s got a good shot to do it. schedule is weak going forward as are the teams in 8th-10th in the NFC at the moment. Better than getting traded wherever someone gets hurt once every year or two. Or maybe he can be the next Chad Henne or Chase Daniel, that’s a good gig if you can get it.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 5th, 2023 at 5:39:16 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I suppose they could always talk about how Watson was at one time a good NFL quarterback.

If Dobbs leads the Vikes to the playoffs perhaps he can be the he new Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, or Dalton. Get brought in to warm the seat until the franchise guy is ready. He’s got a good shot to do it. schedule is weak going forward as are the teams in 8th-10th in the NFC at the moment. Better than getting traded wherever someone gets hurt once every year or two. Or maybe he can be the next Chad Henne or Chase Daniel, that’s a good gig if you can get it.
link to original post



He has already made over $5 million in his short career and hopefully much more. Pays way better than being an Aerospace Engineer.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 5th, 2023 at 5:47:06 PM permalink
Think he makes 5 or 6 next season if he can manage to keep the Vikes in a wild card spot. Could really use Jefferson back.

As back handed compliment as I’ve been here, have to give Dobbs a lot of credit for leading them to a win first week in without maybe the best WR in league.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 5082
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
November 5th, 2023 at 6:34:12 PM permalink
I'm just glad that he's gotten a chance to play, after a very unlucky 5 years. When he was in the SEC it was Jalen Hurts #1a and Josh Dobbs #1b and somehow he's gotten lost. He's certainly a good backup QB and I think he's better than a couple of the currently starting QBs (there are a few weak ones right now!)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
November 6th, 2023 at 5:08:59 AM permalink
.
the Commanders qb Sam Howell had another impressive game throwing for 325 yards as they beat the Patriots on the road
beating the Pats is no great feat but still
my opinion of him has changed - I'm really impressed now
on one run he evaded one tackler who got an arm on him and knocked down another gaining about 20 yards
he's definitely game - willing to take chances - earlier in the season it seemed like this was killing him but not now
the Commanders upper level is very high on him and believes he is their franchise QB
but who knows - anyway - right now he's fun to watch
.
Please don't feed the trolls
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2419
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
November 6th, 2023 at 6:02:07 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Quote: billryan

If Bama can continue to play at the level they showed last night, the rest of the teams are in trouble.

An interesting piece of trivia from last night's game- Can you name the last two QBs to beat Bama twice in their college career?
link to original post



I think the trivia question was "Who are the last two QBs to beat a Saban-coached college team twice consecutively?" The answer was (as I remember it) Dree Brees (whose Purdue team beat Saban's Michigan St team twice consecutively) and Rex Grossman (whose Fla. St squad beat Saban's LSU team twice consecutively.
link to original post

Just a pedantic UF fan here, but "Sexy Rexy" Grossman played for the Gators, not FSU.

Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan

Can you name the last two QBs to beat Bama twice in their college career?



My first thought was Tebow but that was the wrong Gator QB. I believe the other ones were mainly from the Big Ten.
link to original post

I thought Tebow as well. After looking it up I think that technically, an argument could be made that Tim Tebow would also be a correct answer (maybe, depending on the exact wording of the question).

He played some snaps as QB in the 2006 UF/Bama game, and even scored a TD, but he wasn't the starter -- Chris Leak was. The next time the two teams faced each other was in the 2008 SEC Championship game where he beat Bama as the Gators' starter.
Last edited by: Joeman on Nov 6, 2023
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 5082
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
November 6th, 2023 at 6:39:49 AM permalink
I think Joe Burrow, when he's healthy, is the best NFL QB, a modern Tom Brady. I know that's not conventional ESPN party line, but its what I think. There's a group right below him: Mahomes, Josh Allen (he seems a bit off this year), Lamar Jackson and maybe Justin Herbert.

IMO, the next group down is CJ Stroud, Tua Tungavoiloa, maybe Trevor Lawrence? Kirk Cousins, because he was having his best year. Who else? Does Mr. Irrelevant belong here?

Next rung down? Kyler Murray. Justin Fields. Matthew Stafford, who seems too inconsistent, I've never been impressed with him. Does Howell go here?.

On the QB ladder, there's a has-been rung: Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Carr, Tannehill

Also a never-was, never-will-be rung: Garropolo, Goss, Zach Wilson, Ridder, the Jones Brothers: David & Mac, maybe Mayfield, maybe Bryce Young, Sam Darnold (why are the Jets so clueless at evaluating QBs?).

Kinda early to judge Anthony Richardson, maybe he'll age like a fine wine. Or maybe like a recently-caught fish.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 6th, 2023 at 6:45:44 AM permalink
Burrow has, by far, the best receiver talent among the entire group other than Tua. He’s been nothing but great the entire time though. Hurts has great receiver talent too. You’re missing Jalen Hurts probably in the first tier, and curious about what tier Dak is missing from. Jared Goff and Geno Smith end of tier 2, to tier 3. Chiefs seem to be taking the Patriots/Brady route for his receivers, an aging tight end and minimal/scrap heap investment in WR’s.

Kyler Murray is still a never was to me, he’s had a half of one season where he performed in the NFL? lol at giving Justin Fields some credit but calling Bryce Young a never was already. Jordan Love looked pretty good to begin the year, pretty bad the past few weeks and prior seasons.

I have trouble fully believing in Tua, think a lot of it is the receivers and coaching. Main reason I can’t fully believe in him is they were trying to trade for DeShaun Watson a season after drafting him.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 6, 2023
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 5082
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
November 6th, 2023 at 10:12:17 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Burrow has, by far, the best receiver talent among the entire group other than Tua. He’s been nothing but great the entire time though. Hurts has great receiver talent too. You’re missing Jalen Hurts probably in the first tier, and curious about what tier Dak is missing from. Jared Goff and Geno Smith end of tier 2, to tier 3. Chiefs seem to be taking the Patriots/Brady route for his receivers, an aging tight end and minimal/scrap heap investment in WR’s.

Kyler Murray is still a never was to me, he’s had a half of one season where he performed in the NFL? lol at giving Justin Fields some credit but calling Bryce Young a never was already. Jordan Love looked pretty good to begin the year, pretty bad the past few weeks and prior seasons.

I have trouble fully believing in Tua, think a lot of it is the receivers and coaching. Main reason I can’t fully believe in him is they were trying to trade for DeShaun Watson a season after drafting him.
link to original post



You are perfectly correct. I just overlooked Jalen Hurts. I also forgot Geno Smith (still trying not to think of his time with the Jets, I guess) and Jordan love. I just wrote that post casually, but I pretty much agree with all of your comments. Maybe I'm too kind with Justin Fields.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
November 6th, 2023 at 2:37:03 PM permalink
.
a brief look back at one of the most amazing MLB players of all time
you just about never hear talk of him anymore - just about completely forgotten

Ty Cobb - from Wiki:

"Cobb is widely credited with setting 90 MLB records during his career. His combined total of 4,065 runs scored and runs batted in (after adjusting for home runs) is still the highest ever produced by any major league player. He still holds several records as of the end of the 2022 season, including the highest career batting average (.366) and most career batting titles with 11 (or 12, depending on source). He retained many other records for almost a half century or more, including most career hits until 1985 (4,189 or 4,191, depending on source) most career runs (2,245 or 2,246 depending on source) until 2001, most career games played (3,035) and at bats (11,429 or 11,434 depending on source) until 1974, and the modern record for most career stolen bases (892) until 1977. He still holds the career record for stealing home (54 times) and for stealing second base, third base, and home in succession (4 times), and as the youngest player ever to compile 4,000 hits and score 2,000 runs. Cobb ranks fifth all time in number of games played, and committed 271 errors, the most by any American League (AL) outfielder."

one year he batted .419 and another year he batted .409

.
Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 9th, 2023 at 6:09:18 PM permalink
Clyde "the glide" Drexler is one of the best shooting guards in NBA history and arguably the best overall Blazers career, but he's one of the greater "what if" players of the 80's and 90's, overshadowed by Michael Jordan at the same position at the same time. Had he not played at the same time as Jordan he may have won multiple titles, been the best player on a title team and be remembered more at Kobe Bryant's level.

What if the Blazers had been more forward thinking and drafted Jordan to play alongside Drexler? The year after drafting Drexler, the Blazers infamously drafted Sam Bowie at #2 over Michael Jordan because they already had Drexler.

Drexler and the Blazers briefly threatened Jordan and the Bulls for supremacy in the early 90's, what if they had won? Drexler led the Blazers to the NBA Finals in both 1990 and 1992 as well as a franchise record 63 wins in 1991. Late in his career, Drexler would finally win a title alongside former college teammate Hakeem Olajuwon with the Houston Rockets.



Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 9, 2023
Apacheworld
Apacheworld
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 10, 2023
November 10th, 2023 at 10:31:17 AM permalink
Very interesting
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 10th, 2023 at 7:14:37 PM permalink
I’m frankly surprised about how little suspense F1 generates. Max Verstappen has won 17 of the 20 races. The championship is fully decided with many races remaining.
He wins the pole. Leads the whole race. Kisses the girl when getting the trophy. Rinse. Repeat.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 11th, 2023 at 4:07:33 AM permalink
Wembanyama 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks That skinny 19 year old will get crushed in the NBA. LOL
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 11th, 2023 at 6:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Wembanyama 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks That skinny 19 year old will get crushed in the NBA. LOL
link to original post



There is a reason why championships are decided in June, and not November.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 11th, 2023 at 6:06:55 AM permalink
It's not entirely uncommon for famous sports journalists/broadcasters to reach a point where they mail it in and quit doing their job, but keep going on TV to collect the paycheck anyways. This has now clearly happened to Michael Wilbon, who's been with ESPN since 2001. He's been pretty bad over the last decade or so, so can't just dismiss last night as an out of character moment.

During halftime of an ESPN NBA broadcast last night, when another commentator asked if people are sleeping on the Pistons, Wilbon was unable to name more than one player on the Pistons roster, Cade Cunningham. During a NBA game. Pretty awkward moment, I'd say embarrassing but the man just doesn't care anymore. He was also on NBA today on ESPN the other day, but he doesn’t spend any time watching or reading about the NBA…
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 11th, 2023 at 6:40:11 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

It's not entirely uncommon for famous sports journalists/broadcasters to reach a point where they mail it in and quit doing their job, but keep going on TV to collect the paycheck anyways. This has now clearly happened to Michael Wilbon, who's been with ESPN since 2001. He's been pretty bad over the last decade or so, so can't just dismiss last night as an out of character moment.

During halftime of an ESPN NBA broadcast last night, when another commentator asked if people are sleeping on the Pistons, Wilbon was unable to name more than one player on the Pistons roster, Cade Cunningham. During a NBA game. Pretty awkward moment, I'd say embarrassing but the man just doesn't care anymore. He was also on NBA today on ESPN the other day, but he doesn’t spend any time watching or reading about the NBA…
link to original post



I agree. He has gone steadily downhill on PTI as well. Relies on cliches more than actual insight.

Depending on which site you look at, he makes about $2million a year. I’d keep talking if I was him.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 11th, 2023 at 8:13:49 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

Wembanyama 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks That skinny 19 year old will get crushed in the NBA. LOL
link to original post



There is a reason why championships are decided in June, and not November.
link to original post



I agree, the Spurs are probably not going to be a good team but anyone who doesn't think Wemby will be a successful pro is crazy.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 11th, 2023 at 8:33:44 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

Wembanyama 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks That skinny 19 year old will get crushed in the NBA. LOL
link to original post



There is a reason why championships are decided in June, and not November.
link to original post



I agree, the Spurs are probably not going to be a good team but anyone who doesn't think Wemby will be a successful pro is crazy.
link to original post



If he can stay on the floor, he'll undoubtedly have a great career. I think his ability to do so is a legitimate concern.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 11th, 2023 at 9:21:53 AM permalink
Any lower leg injuries becoming chronic is a major long term concern for any guy over 7'2. Walton, Yao Ming, Oden etc. I think the "too skinny" concerns about guys like him and Chet Holmgren are way overblown, however.

Most big bulky guys can't move their feet well enough to get on the floor in the modern NBA anymore, they end up in Europe/FIBA where there's no illegal defense. No they probably won't be able to guard your rare Jokic or Embiid, but less weight applying pressure over the years on those hardwood floors has to lower probability of some of those foot injuries. They'll also inevitably put on at least 10-20 lbs as they mature as well.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 11th, 2023 at 9:43:15 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

Wembanyama 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks That skinny 19 year old will get crushed in the NBA. LOL
link to original post



There is a reason why championships are decided in June, and not November.
link to original post



I agree, the Spurs are probably not going to be a good team but anyone who doesn't think Wemby will be a successful pro is crazy.
link to original post



Who has said he won’t be a successful pro? No one that I know. The discussion is more about whether he will be an all time great. I’d bet on top 50 all time player. But not top 10. Time will tell.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 11th, 2023 at 10:10:54 AM permalink
Big men tend to run more distance than guards, who mostly go free throw line to free throw line. More steps per game plus more weight equals more injury potential.
I look at VWs legs and think they are his weakness. I hope he proves me wrong.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 11th, 2023 at 10:34:35 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO


Who has said he won’t be a successful pro? No one that I know. The discussion is more about whether he will be an all time great. I’d bet on top 50 all time player. But not top 10. Time will tell.



I never even try to project all time greats until they have performed for at least five years.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 11th, 2023 at 11:03:32 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: SOOPOO


Who has said he won’t be a successful pro? No one that I know. The discussion is more about whether he will be an all time great. I’d bet on top 50 all time player. But not top 10. Time will tell.



I never even try to project all time greats until they have performed for at least five years.
link to original post



Someone I know from NY paid over $400,000 for a one-of-a-kind Jasson Dominquez baseball card last spring. He's speculating he'll be a Hall of Famer. It cost him almost half of his year-end bonus.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 14th, 2023 at 7:59:21 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

Quote: SOOPOO


Who has said he won’t be a successful pro? No one that I know. The discussion is more about whether he will be an all time great. I’d bet on top 50 all time player. But not top 10. Time will tell.



I never even try to project all time greats until they have performed for at least five years.
link to original post



Someone I know from NY paid over $400,000 for a one-of-a-kind Jasson Dominquez baseball card last spring. He's speculating he'll be a Hall of Famer. It cost him almost half of his year-end bonus.
link to original post



Give me a year end bonus of $1 million and I’ll commit to buying one speculative item for $400k.

As for DRich’s comment, I often don’t need 5 years to see who will be an all time great. Mahomes, James, McDavid, Crosby were all easy to pick after less than 5 years. Luka too.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 14th, 2023 at 8:56:14 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

Quote: SOOPOO


Who has said he won’t be a successful pro? No one that I know. The discussion is more about whether he will be an all time great. I’d bet on top 50 all time player. But not top 10. Time will tell.



I never even try to project all time greats until they have performed for at least five years.
link to original post



Someone I know from NY paid over $400,000 for a one-of-a-kind Jasson Dominquez baseball card last spring. He's speculating he'll be a Hall of Famer. It cost him almost half of his year-end bonus.
link to original post



Give me a year end bonus of $1 million and I’ll commit to buying one speculative item for $400k.

As for DRich’s comment, I often don’t need 5 years to see who will be an all time great. Mahomes, James, McDavid, Crosby were all easy to pick after less than 5 years. Luka too.
link to original post



What was your opinion on Doc Gooden? Strawberry? Mattingly? Pat LaFontaine? My track record on predicting isn't so great, although I did stockpile the 84 Olmpic sets that featured McGwire.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 14th, 2023 at 12:42:08 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

Quote: SOOPOO


Who has said he won’t be a successful pro? No one that I know. The discussion is more about whether he will be an all time great. I’d bet on top 50 all time player. But not top 10. Time will tell.



I never even try to project all time greats until they have performed for at least five years.
link to original post



Someone I know from NY paid over $400,000 for a one-of-a-kind Jasson Dominquez baseball card last spring. He's speculating he'll be a Hall of Famer. It cost him almost half of his year-end bonus.
link to original post



Give me a year end bonus of $1 million and I’ll commit to buying one speculative item for $400k.

As for DRich’s comment, I often don’t need 5 years to see who will be an all time great. Mahomes, James, McDavid, Crosby were all easy to pick after less than 5 years. Luka too.
link to original post



What was your opinion on Doc Gooden? Strawberry? Mattingly? Pat LaFontaine? My track record on predicting isn't so great, although I did stockpile the 84 Olmpic sets that featured McGwire.
link to original post



Great question. I would have guessed on Gooden being an all time great. He WAS an all time great for the short time he was….. an all time great. Your point, well taken, is that he didn’t last. It was drugs, right?

My point is it doesn’t take 5 years to see SOME players as Hall of Famers. But you can never be 100% sure their career will last. Ask Andrew Luck.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 14th, 2023 at 1:26:38 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO


Great question. I would have guessed on Gooden being an all time great. He WAS an all time great for the short time he was….. an all time great. Your point, well taken, is that he didn’t last. It was drugs, right?

My point is it doesn’t take 5 years to see SOME players as Hall of Famers. But you can never be 100% sure their career will last. Ask Andrew Luck.
link to original post



I guess that was my point. I can't consider someone an all time great if they played less than 5 years. Obviously, anyone can have a career ending injury and I don't think I would consider them an all time great. If Luca Docic has a career ending injury this year not many people would consider him an all time great.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 14th, 2023 at 1:29:20 PM permalink
Don Mattingly was well on his way to being a first-ballot Hall of Famer after five years, and even after his first seven.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 14th, 2023 at 1:34:01 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Don Mattingly was well on his way to being a first-ballot Hall of Famer after five years, and even after his first seven.
link to original post



Yes, and now he is not even mentioned amongst the greatest to ever play. Obviously "greatest" is very subjective. In my mind you would have to be in the top 5 to be considered one of the greatest to play. I think for a young player Ohtani would come to my mind. He is definitely not there yet, but he is getting close assuming his arm doesn't fall off after this second Tommy John surgery.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 14th, 2023 at 3:20:24 PM permalink


Former UNLV recruit and 5 year NBA pro Lloyd "Sweet Pea" Daniels is one of those what could have been stories, ultra talented but never trusted as a teammate with a career derailed by drug addiction. Had a hell of a life story....

Considered by many the best prospect in New York since Kareem and Julius Erving by the age of 16, Daniels was however illiterate and failed many of his high school classes so he went to Jr. College first to learn how to read better after high school, playing only one game in junior college.

Recruited by Jerry Tarkanian to UNLV, before ever playing in a game he was arrested at a crack house in Las Vegas and dismissed from the program. Daniels played in pro leagues in different countries over the next several years, during which time he was in rehab three times, kicked off of one team for heavy drinking, and also survived being shot three times....

After getting the San Antonio Spurs job, former UNLV coach would sign Lloyd Daniels which began a 5 year NBA career.

Granted he likely never would have gotten another chance without Tarkanian getting the Spurs job, how talented does a guy have to be to make it to the NBA AFTER never playing college ball, arrest, three rehab stints, and surviving getting shot. He ultimately played 7 too few games to qualify for lifetime retirement benefits from the NBA, not a happy ending so far...
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 14th, 2023 at 4:30:22 PM permalink
I coached against a team that had Walter Berry as it's star, with Daniels coming off the bench. At the time, he was in 8th grade, competing against U19 players. My team had two guys that eventually played D3 ball. My team was getting embarrassed, so we played the second half with running time.
Last I heard of Lloyd Daniels, he was coaching a premiere AAU club and making serious money from a sneaker company. That was a few years back.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
November 16th, 2023 at 4:02:22 AM permalink
Draymond Green was suspended yesterday for 5 games for putting Rudy Gobert in what some called a headlock and Espn called a chokehold
this is way over the top
this is Green's 5th suspension
he was suspended from the playoffs last season for stomping on the chest of Kings center Sabonis - at 0:37 in the 2nd vid
is it enough_______?__________I dunno - I think something similar will happen again real soon









.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 16, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
November 17th, 2023 at 3:06:51 AM permalink
.
Charissa Thompson, an NFL reporter for Fox Sports and Amazon Prime has admitted to fabricating quotes and other stuff

fake news isn't just for politics

shazam_______!!!__________who would've thunk you could get a phony NFL report on a major network

surprise__________surprise_____________surprise

.
Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 17th, 2023 at 4:49:43 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
Charissa Thompson, an NFL reporter for Fox Sports and Amazon Prime has admitted to fabricating quotes and other stuff

fake news isn't just for politics

shazam_______!!!__________who would've thunk you could get a phony NFL report on a major network

surprise__________surprise_____________surprise

.
link to original post



To me it’s a fireable offense. But she is HOT so probably no repercussions. Frankly, there is nothing less informative than those sideline head coach mid game interviews. ‘We will try and execute better.’ ‘We will try and cut down on mistakes’. ‘Our offense will need to be more efficient’.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 17th, 2023 at 8:11:00 AM permalink
I consider those interviews to be puffery. I've never seen anything useful come out of these, but making stuff up should be a a reason to lose your job.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
Thanked by
mcallister3200
November 18th, 2023 at 4:36:48 AM permalink
.
no one had yet posted a yt vid of this fabulous back in the day baller - Jerry West - so I thought I would
Mac mentioned that his image served as the NBA logo
I believe he was as great an outside shooter as just about any of the modern players
and he was very, very quick - especially in getting off his J - prolly as quick as about 95% of today's players
I would say though that he was not as strong or equal in jumping ability to the players of today
but that's minor stuff - it's not really fair to compare to players who have evolved so much for various reasons
how quick was he_______?
well, his very last year in '74 when he was 36 years old - it was the first year the NBA kept track of steals
and he averaged 2.6 per game - very, very high for a player of any age






.
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 18th, 2023 at 5:16:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: lilredrooster

.
Charissa Thompson, an NFL reporter for Fox Sports and Amazon Prime has admitted to fabricating quotes and other stuff

fake news isn't just for politics

shazam_______!!!__________who would've thunk you could get a phony NFL report on a major network

surprise__________surprise_____________surprise

.
link to original post



To me it’s a fireable offense. But she is HOT so probably no repercussions. Frankly, there is nothing less informative than those sideline head coach mid game interviews. ‘We will try and execute better.’ ‘We will try and cut down on mistakes’. ‘Our offense will need to be more efficient’.
link to original post



I would think me giving her a spanking might be an appropriate punishment.
]
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 18th, 2023 at 8:07:54 AM permalink
I can only imagine a female reporter trying to interview Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes during a game.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 21st, 2023 at 8:40:02 AM permalink
Jason Williams was an entertaining player, very flashy ballhandler and passer with elements of Cousy's passing flair and Maravich's showmanship to his game. Played on the same high school team as Randy Moss.

Pretty good, not great player really. Probably really dribbled the ball too much rather than keep it moving. 12 years, mostly as a starter, never an all star. Won a title late in career as a reserve on the LeBron/Dwade Heat team.

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11781
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
November 21st, 2023 at 12:22:44 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200



Pretty good, not great player really. Probably really dribbled the ball too much rather than keep it moving. 12 years, mostly as a starter, never an all star. Won a title late in career as a reserve on the LeBron/Dwade Heat team.



He made $55 million in salary as an average NBA player. Not bad, I might start working on my 3 pointers.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3609
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
November 21st, 2023 at 4:10:55 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: mcallister3200



Pretty good, not great player really. Probably really dribbled the ball too much rather than keep it moving. 12 years, mostly as a starter, never an all star. Won a title late in career as a reserve on the LeBron/Dwade Heat team.



He made $55 million in salary as an average NBA player. Not bad, I might start working on my 3 pointers.
link to original post



I shoulda spent more time practicing those and less practicing the elbow pass at #8 in the video. He probably would've made 200 million in his career if it started today.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 21, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
November 22nd, 2023 at 2:55:56 AM permalink
.
Lebron will be 39 in December - he is the NBA's oldest player
20 years ago he was the NBA's youngest player at age 18

I took a look at his stats and so far this season they seem to be about equal to prior years

pretty amazing

.
Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11059
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 22nd, 2023 at 3:58:12 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
Lebron will be 39 in December - he is the NBA's oldest player
20 years ago he was the NBA's youngest player at age 18

I took a look at his stats and so far this season they seem to be about equal to prior years

pretty amazing

.
link to original post



I watched last night. He was on pace for another triple double but was pulled due to Lakers blowout. He was best player on the court. I think he is even playing BETTER than his stats show. He elevates the games of his teammates.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: May 8, 2015
November 22nd, 2023 at 5:47:15 AM permalink
.
a lot of basketball courts are being made now with very bright colors
call me an old fogey if you want but imo it's a terrible idea
the red rim as well as the ball no longer stands out due to contrast making it harder for the players to concentrate on the ball and the rim
and harder for the fans to follow the ball and the rim - very distracting - especially when watching on TV




.
Please don't feed the trolls
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 129
  • Posts: 3917
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:14:47 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: lilredrooster

.
Lebron will be 39 in December - he is the NBA's oldest player
20 years ago he was the NBA's youngest player at age 18

I took a look at his stats and so far this season they seem to be about equal to prior years

pretty amazing

.
link to original post



I watched last night. He was on pace for another triple double but was pulled due to Lakers blowout. He was best player on the court. I think he is even playing BETTER than his stats show. He elevates the games of his teammates.
link to original post



No way he keeps this up for the year
  • Jump to: