1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 11th, 2023 at 4:09:00 PM permalink
The NY Nets won the last ABA title and then traded for Tiny that summer. People on Long Island were in a fever pitch. Dr. J and Tiny together.... in the NBA.
Then, out of the blue, the Nets sold Dr. J to the 76ers and the fans turned on the franchise. Archibald didn't live up to expectations, was injured quite a bit, and exiled to Buffalo. He never played a game for the Braves as he missed the entire season.
Archibald eventually got back from injuries but he never recaptured his magic on the Kings/Royals.
The Nets selling Erving set a chain of events into motion that the franchise has never recovered from. After the season, the Nets moved from a brand new Nassau Coliseum to an old barn in Piscataway New Jersey
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 12th, 2023 at 2:47:13 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

People on Long Island were in a fever pitch. Dr. J and Tiny together.... in the NBA.

Dr. J was one more back in the day baller - he entered the ABA in '71 - (earlier I had named Wilt and Kareem) who is a bridge to the players of later eras

I believe most of the greats of that era or of the mid to late 60s were not the equal of the greats of the last 25 or so years

but nobody could say that about Julius - nobody out there at any time would use him up - that would never happen

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 12, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 13th, 2023 at 3:37:09 PM permalink
I heard an interesting fact today.

Jim Harbaugh has more NFL rushing yards than Bo Jackson.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 14th, 2023 at 2:48:59 AM permalink
Delonte West - heartbreaking story of a pretty impactful ex NBA player -

he made millions during his career and his last year he shot a spectacular .886 from the line - that's higher than Oscar or Jerry West ever shot from the line

he's now homeless and living on the street - the vid was taken after a different vid showed him panhandling outside of a Va. 7/11

https://www.marca.com/en/basketball/nba/2023/10/14/6529bf62e2704ea8b88b4606.html

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 14, 2023
DRich
DRich
October 14th, 2023 at 8:56:26 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Delonte West - heartbreaking story of a pretty impactful ex NBA player -

he made millions during his career and his last year he shot a spectacular .886 from the line - that's higher than Oscar or Jerry West ever shot from the line

he's now homeless and living on the street - the vid was taken after a different vid showed him panhandling outside of a Va. 7/11

Wasn't he the one that was screwing Lebron James Mom? I am guessing LeBron won't help him but maybe Mom will.
billryan
billryan
October 14th, 2023 at 2:07:08 PM permalink
Ireland recently took the top spot in the rankings for the Rugby World Cup, and last week demolished Scotland, going up 40-0 before letting the scrubs finish the match.
Today, they faced three-time defending Champion New Zealand, and the game met expectations. New Zealand's All Blacks led the whole way but had to withstand a furious Irish attack over the last few minutes, with a single-point lead. With a minute to go, an Irish attacker burst into the end zone but in Rugby, you must put the ball on the ground with pressure, and the All Blacks defender somehow slid under him, preventing him from putting the ball down.
Ireland got knocked out in the quarter-final stage in three straight World Cups.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
October 14th, 2023 at 2:12:45 PM permalink

Ireland recently took the top spot in the rankings for the Rugby World Cup, and last week demolished Scotland, going up 40-0 before letting the scrubs finish the match.
Today, they faced three-time defending Champion New Zealand, and the game met expectations. New Zealand's All Blacks led the whole way but had to withstand a furious Irish attack over the last few minutes, with a single-point lead. With a minute to go, an Irish attacker burst into the end zone but in Rugby, you must put the ball on the ground with pressure, and the All Blacks defender somehow slid under him, preventing him from putting the ball down.
Ireland got knocked out in the quarter-final stage in three straight World Cups.
link to original post

I have never followed Rugby much, but every year they hold the Rugby 7's in Las Vegas and I went to that a few times and enjoyed it.
billryan
billryan
October 14th, 2023 at 3:31:27 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

I have never followed Rugby much, but every year they hold the Rugby 7's in Las Vegas and I went to that a few times and enjoyed it.
link to original post

Sevens is a very different game. It's like an NFL game without the linemen.

In today's game, Ireland had thirty-five attempts in the last two minutes, with the All Blacks dug in shoulder to shoulder defending the end line. Both sides were exhausted, but New Zealand stood tall and held up until the clock ran out.
An Instant Classic.
DRich
DRich
October 15th, 2023 at 9:33:21 AM permalink
Did anyone catch the end of that Boise St game last night? Our second hail mary this week to win a game with no time left on the clock. Maybe teams should start throwing these passes earlier in the game.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 18th, 2023 at 8:35:41 PM permalink
Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls of the mid 1990's have, for my money, the all time greatest introduction The team was dominant, and with the Bulls running through the streets the fans would work themselves into a fever pitch as Jordan was about to be introduced.

People would absolutely lose it during intros, never seen anything like it since. I mean, imagine being on the road team in the playoffs against the best player in the world after hearing that.

Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Oct 18, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 19th, 2023 at 1:39:10 AM permalink
I remember so well the '82 college Championship - UNC & Jordan vs. Georgetown & Ewing
I knew Georgetown well
they had a ferocious defense
I didn't believe they could be handled - even by MJ - of course UNC also had James Worthy

he destroyed Georgetown - not a great # of points but he did what had to be done at the right time - Worthy dominated with 28

is MJ the greatest player of all time________?_________I think so___________will there ever be another as great________?__________I dunno - maybe, maybe not

Sam Perkins for UNC and Sleepy Floyd for Georgetown makes 5 NBA players on those 2 teams

and 3 of the 5 were Hall of Famers_______________and 2 Hall of Fame Coaches

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 19, 2023
DRich
DRich
October 19th, 2023 at 2:55:48 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls of the mid 1990's have, for my money, the all time greatest introduction The team was dominant, and with the Bulls running through the streets the fans would work themselves into a fever pitch as Jordan was about to be introduced.

People would absolutely lose it during intros, never seen anything like it since. I mean, imagine being on the road team in the playoffs against the best player in the world after hearing that.

If you haven't seen it, watch the preshow for the Las Vegas Golden Knights.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 20th, 2023 at 3:00:56 AM permalink

Dematha h.s. can you believe it_______?__________20 NBA players - count 'em up - 20 - have graduated from Dematha h.s. in Hyattsville, Maryland - just outside of DC

the story never told - Dematha had an informal network that recruited the great young ballers - they scouted them at Jr. high schools and playgrounds

they were given full scholarships to Dematha which is a tuition based Catholic School

but still - an amazing achievement - and his Coaching record is 1274-192________an amazing 87% wins

and a tribute to their great Coach Morgan Wooten - r.i.p. - who is the only Coach in the Naismith Hall of Fame who coached only in high school

also famous for having the only team to beat Power Memorial h.s. when they had Lou Alcindor (Jabbar)

Coach Wooten was strongly considered for the Head Coaching job at the U. of MD - but instead it went to Lefty Driesell

[RESIZE][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/POhZWL8.png[/IMG]
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 20th, 2023 at 3:00:56 AM permalink

Dematha h.s. can you believe it_______?__________20 NBA players - count 'em up - 20 - have graduated from Dematha h.s. in Hyattsville, Maryland - just outside of DC

the story never told - Dematha had an informal network that recruited the great young ballers - they scouted them at Jr. high schools and playgrounds

they were given full scholarships to Dematha which is a tuition based Catholic School

but still - an amazing achievement -

and a tribute to their great Coach Morgan Wooten - r.i.p. - who is the only Coach in the Naismith Hall of Fame who coached only in high school

his Coaching record is 1274-192 - an amazing 87% wins

also famous for having the only team to beat Power Memorial h.s. when they had Lou Alcindor (Jabbar)

Coach Wooten was strongly considered for the Head Coaching job at the U. of MD - but instead it went to Lefty Driesell

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 21st, 2023 at 6:05:02 AM permalink
a look at another back in the day legend - "The Iceman" - this dude had all kinds of skills - unusual shots and moves that you rarely see

at 1:31 in the vid he's dazzling in the paint against Kareem and uses him up - that didn't happen too often

he's really a joy to watch

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 21, 2023
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 21st, 2023 at 9:06:46 AM permalink

but still - an amazing achievement -

his Coaching record is 1274-192 - an amazing 87% wins

link to original post

I think this is a contemptible achievement - a corruption of a loophole in the high school sports system. Imagine if college sports were run this way, with public colleges unable to recruit and offer scholarships but just a few private colleges allowed to do that. There is no evidence in this that Coach Wooten was a good basketball coach - and U of Md. made a wise choice to hire Dreisell. Wooten shouldn't be in the Naismith Hall of Fame.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
October 21st, 2023 at 9:19:07 AM permalink
A good craftsman works with the tools he is given. I have no idea how great a game coach he might have been, but he turned a lot of boys into young men who went to college and quite a few who made a career out of it. I think it's fair to say that many of his players wouldn't have gone on to school or the pros if they hadn't played for him. Most of his players came from rough neighborhoods and he was their way out.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 21st, 2023 at 9:30:43 AM permalink

you guys remember when Lefty got the Maryland Coaching job and he proclaimed that MD would become:

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙐𝘾𝙇𝘼 𝙊𝙁 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙀𝘼𝙎𝙏

even people in Maryland that loved MD ridiculed that inane comment

the Lefthander was a great Coach - actually more of a great recruiter than Coach - I'll give him that

but he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer

the Lefthander ended his career with exactly 𝙕𝙀𝙍𝙊 National Championships

he also never got to the Final Four

John Wooden ended his career with 𝙏𝙀𝙉 National Championships

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 21st, 2023 at 9:46:39 AM permalink

A good craftsman works with the tools he is given. I have no idea how great a game coach he might have been, but he turned a lot of boys into young men who went to college and quite a few who made a career out of it. I think it's fair to say that many of his players wouldn't have gone on to school or the pros if they hadn't played for him. Most of his players came from rough neighborhoods and he was their way out.

that is 100% correct
Coach Wooten and Dematha, which is a very good school, gave many players who came from impoverished backgrounds the guidance they needed to succeed

without him and Dematha imo many would have struggled

James Brown, another Dematha grad and a great baller in his own right went to Harvard and is now one of the top sports broadcasters in the entire country

would that have happened without Coach Wooten and Dematha_________?___________I really, really doubt it

I'd be willing to bet a very high % of his players graduated from college - quite a few got full scholarships - and could not have otherwise afforded college

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 21, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:27:05 AM permalink

I noticed that when an NFL running back goes up the middle his teammates often push him from the back to help him gain yards

I think that's a fairly new strategy - isn't it__________?

I don't remember that from back in the day

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:50:51 AM permalink

I noticed that when an NFL running back goes up the middle his teammates often push him from the back to help him gain yards

link to original post

It's a recent development, and the Eagles have perfected it. It's more rugby than football, and I wouldn't be surprised if it causes a rule change.
DRich
DRich
October 23rd, 2023 at 4:15:24 AM permalink

link to original post

That used to be a penalty for helping the runner.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 7:09:03 AM permalink
Allen Iverson - "The Answer" - one very tough little dude - listed at 6'0" - I think the greatest little man ever to step on to a court

2005 - 30 p.p.g. - 8 assists - 5 rebounds_________unreal

watch him dunk on some players way taller than him

at 1:23 in the vid he fakes the defender out so bad the defender falls down

the #1 move - the last one - at 3:00 - he uses up MJ with a crossover - he beat MJ really bad

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 23, 2023
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 23rd, 2023 at 10:28:00 AM permalink
At 6’1, Isaiah Thomas is the shortest ever “best player” on an an nba championship team, 2x with the “bad boy” Pistons. Isaiah doesn’t really get the respect he deserves as he wasn’t well liked by other superstars of his era, and his team wasn’t really well liked by most fans either. I mean, this guy was the best player on multiple championship teams while Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Hakeem Olajuwon were in the league. Think about that. Not bad for a 6’1 guy.

At 6’2 Stephen Curry’s been clearly the best on two championship teams, kinda “co-best” with Durant on 2 title teams.
Most championship teams have historically been built around bigs or dominant wings. Rick Barry is another great player kinda like Isaiah who isn’t remembered well because the guys he played with hated him.
DRich
DRich
October 23rd, 2023 at 10:54:39 AM permalink

At 6’1, Isaiah Thomas is the shortest ever “best player” on an an nba championship team,

Wow, that surprises me.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 11:27:05 AM permalink
another great little man at 6'1" was John Stockton

he holds the all time NBA record for both assists and steals

one year he averaged 3 steals per game - wow____!!!__________that's a very lot

I looked at the all time steals leaders - see link - and I was very surprised by #10 Hakeem Olajuwon and #12 Karl Malone

I never would have guessed that those 2 would be among the best at steals

https://www.espn.com/nba/history/leaders/_/stat/steals

billryan
billryan
October 23rd, 2023 at 11:30:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

At 6’1, Isaiah Thomas is the shortest ever “best player” on an an nba championship team,

Wow, that surprises me.
link to original post

Me too, but I can't think of anyone else.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 12:34:54 PM permalink
hows about Mugsy Bogues

in '94 he got 11 p.p.g. - 10 assists and get this_________4 𝙧𝙚𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙨 per game

not bad at all for a guy 𝟱'𝟯"_____________________________________________________________________(-:\

truly amazing

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 23rd, 2023 at 12:40:25 PM permalink

I looked at the all time steals leaders - see link - and I was very surprised by #10 Hakeem Olajuwon and #12 Karl Malone

link to original post

Hakeem, the nba all time career blocks leader by almost 600, leads in career “stocks,”, steals+blocks, by nearly 2,000. The only other player in the top 20 all time on both lists is Kevin Garnett.

Does that make Hakeem the most dominant defensive player of all time????
It’s a strong argument, I think Bill Russell, Hakeem, Tim Duncan, and Kevin Garnett make up the all time defensive Mount Rushmore.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:13:14 PM permalink

link to original post

Hakeem, the nba all time career blocks leader by almost 600, leads in career “stocks,”, steals+blocks, by nearly 2,000. The only other player in the top 20 all time on both lists is Kevin Garnett.

It’s a strong argument, I think Bill Russell, Hakeem, Tim Duncan, and Kevin Garnett make up the all time defensive Mount Rushmore.
link to original post

I would include Wilt (defense)

Wilt was mainly known for offense but he was also a monster on defense - during that era he was a frightening force - literally - except for Russell and Kareem and Nate Thurmond players were afraid of him - he could make them look so bad

Nate Thurmond was another truly great defender who is just about completely forgotten - which is kinna sad to me - I wouldn't wanna say how he compares to the others - that's very difficult for me -

during his era they didn't keep records on blocks

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:27:43 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Wilt was mainly known for offense but he was also a monster on defense - during that era he was a frightening force - literally - except for Russell and Kareem and Nate Thurmond players were afraid of him - he could make them look so bad

link to original post

Dude, I know you just forgot, because we both know Wes Unseld wasn’t afraid of ANYONE. Dude was pretty much Chuck Norris on a basketball court.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:30:32 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Dude, I know you just forgot, because we both know Wes Unseld wasn’t afraid of ANYONE. Dude was pretty much Chuck Norris on a basketball court.
link to original post

yeah, you're 100% right - my memory is not great

and you know what - I went to his his first home game at the Baltimore Civic Center______________(-:\

I was all about the Baltimore Bullets - him and Earl Monroe - I couldn't get enough - I was really young and I would take the bus to Baltimore to see them - a one hour trip each way at night - - my parents freaked out - they didn't like it - but I kept going

billryan
billryan
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:53:23 PM permalink
It was 1972, but I could be off by a season. My friends and I went to a Nets game against the Nuggets and both teams tried to outrun the other. It was non-stop fast breaks, and both teams scored over 130 points. The Nets had a promotion where if the team scored 125 or more, everyone got a free ticket. for later use. As they drew half-capacity crowds, it was a no-brainer.
The next afternoon, I was at the Knicks-Bullets game with great seats and watched Willis Reed and Unseld mug each other and anyone who got close to them. The teams always had bad blood, but this game was a war. Except it wasn't. It was just one regular season game, and these guys did it every game for eighty games. Then they turned it up to eleven for the playoffs.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2023 at 2:01:24 PM permalink

It was 1972, but I could be off by a season. My friends and I went to a Nets game against the Nuggets and both teams tried to outrun the other. It was non-stop fast breaks, and both teams scored over 130 points. The Nets had a promotion where if the team scored 125 or more, everyone got a free ticket. for later use. As they drew half-capacity crowds, it was a no-brainer.
The next afternoon, I was at the Knicks-Bullets game with great seats and watched Willis Reed and Unseld mug each other and anyone who got close to them. The teams always had bad blood, but this game was a war. Except it wasn't. It was just one regular season game, and these guys did it every game for eighty games. Then they turned it up to eleven for the playoffs.
link to original post

before Earl went to the Knicks
the playoffs - Bullets vs. Knicks

the matchup between Earl and Clyde (Walt Frazier) - that is the stuff of legends

what was that commercial - was it Budweiser___? - that said - "it just doesn't get any better than this"

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 23rd, 2023 at 2:27:22 PM permalink
About little dude old timers, Calvin Murphy, at 5’9, is both the shortest player in the basketball hall of fame and tied for shortest to play in an NBA all star game.

He only played in one nba all star game, perhaps kind of weak resume for the hall, the hall isn’t specifically for the NBA and he also scored over 33 ppg in college and was a 3 time all american. One of ten players in nba history with a career free throw percentage 89% or greater, In one nba season he shot 95.8% from the free throw line.

And if people have almost forgotten about Nate Thurmond maybe it’s because you can’t convince people who haven’t watched him play that he was a real human being, the guy looks like a gladiator or Adonis.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Oct 23, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 24th, 2023 at 1:48:41 AM permalink
back in the day there was no YT- no cable - the networks showed just one NBA game per week - on Sunday - more during the playoffs
I learned about the players from magazines - I can't remember which ones - there were a few devoted just to hoops
the NBA was a very distant 3rd in popularity compared to the NFL and the MLB
in '65 MLB drew 22 million fans into the seats while the NBA drew 2 million
last year the NBA broke its own record with 22 million fans attending

in this vid Russell chases down Jerry West and blocks his shot

this is the only time I can recall ever seeing a big man chase a little man down the floor and do this -

the 2nd vid is Wilt swatting them down - Wilt had a different style than Russ - Russ liked to just tip the ball and try to maintain possession for his team

Wilt loved to really knock them back and swat them - into the stands sometimes________________(-:\

at 2:25 in the vid it shows Wilt blocking Gus Johnson's shot - Gus himself was incredibly strong - not only did he block his shot - he threw Gus down to the floor and dislocated his shoulder - Gus had to be carried off the court in a stretcher

at 2:44 he blocks Oscar's shot and knocks him down to the floor at the same time

in the vid it is claimed that he blocked 26 shots in one game

most love to watch the vids of Wilt dunking and scoring - but I like this one more

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 24, 2023
DRich
DRich
October 24th, 2023 at 5:51:36 AM permalink
I am shocked there is no talk here at all about the baseball playoffs. Two game sevens and no mentions. The Texas Rangers pounded the Astros in Game seven yesterday for an upset trip to the World Series.

Tonight the Phillies and Diamondbacks play one game for their berth in the World Series. Phillies are favored but I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona pull an upset.
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2023 at 7:17:46 AM permalink
There is very little excitement in Tucson about Arizona. I don't have cable, so I watched both games in the clubhouse, and there were far more people watching the AL game than the D-Backs, or D-Bags as many people refer to them.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 24th, 2023 at 7:23:16 AM permalink

hows about Mugsy Bogues

in '94 he got 11 p.p.g. - 10 assists and get this_________4 𝙧𝙚𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙨 per game

not bad at all for a guy 𝟱'𝟯"_____________________________________________________________________(-:\

truly amazing

link to original post

Ah, I just had a flashback of Mugsy on SNL with Charles Barkley and yet-to-be US Senator Al Franken as Stewart Smalley...

As far as impressive little guys, how about 5'7" Spud Webb winning the NBA Slam Dunk Contest?

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 24th, 2023 at 11:38:45 AM permalink
last season the GS Warriors were a fabulous 33-8 at home and a horrible 11-30 away

they won 80.4% of their home games and lost 73.1% of their away games

I don't know of anything like this ever happening before - but maybe it has and I missed it

anybody care to explain why this happened__________?

DRich
DRich
October 24th, 2023 at 3:18:59 PM permalink

last season the GS Warriors were a fabulous 33-8 at home and a horrible 11-30 away

they won 80.4% of their home games and lost 73.1% of their away games

I don't know of anything like this ever happening before - but maybe it has and I missed it

anybody care to explain why this happened__________?

link to original post

I would blame the bean burritos that they serve on the airplane.
DRich
DRich
October 24th, 2023 at 3:21:25 PM permalink
Tonight we have on TV two college football games,an MLB playoff game 7 and two NBA games. What will you be watching?

I will be watching the football with an occasional channel switch to the baseball game during commercials. I doubt that I will watch any NBA tonight.
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2023 at 3:44:47 PM permalink
Baseball, unless it is a route.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 25th, 2023 at 7:56:57 AM permalink
red posted about Iverson, who had an amazing crossover dribble, so I'm posting about the guy who revolutionized the crossover shortly before refs started allowing more leeway carrying the ball, Tim Hardaway Sr.

Hardaway Sr's crossover dribble was so nasty the between the legs/crossover combo was named the "UTEP two step" after him, where he played college ball. Made some defenders look so bad. He gets Avery Johnson, John Stockton real bad in the vid below. Kids in their driveways everywhere were practicing his move in the early to mid 90's, and as a result Iverson, Kyrie Irving, and Chris Paul's crossovers all mimic Hardaway's pretty closely. His son, Tim Hardaway Jr., is a solid NBA player who ironically isn't much of a ballhandler.

billryan
billryan
October 25th, 2023 at 9:15:54 AM permalink
The 1929 Rhode Island University basketball team earned the nickname of PAMs. That season, they lead the nation in scoring, with an incredible 41.9 points a game. They averaged over a point a minute, something no team had ever accomplished. The next year, they shattered their record, averaging 61 points a game while no other team broke the PAM status.
When a defender got a rebound, it was normal to hand the ball to the guard to be brought down the court. RIU Coach Frank Kearney decided to have his guards run downcourt without the ball and have the rebounder throw a football-style pass. Opposing teams had no answer. RIU went from playing before a few hundred fans to selling out Boston Garden and then Madison Square. Without film, most teams were unprepared for RIUs upbeat offense.
The nation's top teams avoided playing them for several years but eventually, the fast break caught on and became a part of the game.
DRich
DRich
October 25th, 2023 at 11:41:20 AM permalink

The 1929 Rhode Island University basketball team earned the nickname of PAMs. That season, they lead the nation in scoring, with an incredible 41.9 points a game. They averaged over a point a minute, something no team had ever accomplished. The next year, they shattered their record, averaging 61 points a game while no other team broke the PAM status.
When a defender got a rebound, it was normal to hand the ball to the guard to be brought down the court. RIU Coach Frank Kearney decided to have his guards run downcourt without the ball and have the rebounder throw a football-style pass. Opposing teams had no answer. RIU went from playing before a few hundred fans to selling out Boston Garden and then Madison Square. Without film, most teams were unprepared for RIUs upbeat offense.
The nation's top teams avoided playing them for several years but eventually, the fast break caught on and became a part of the game.
link to original post

When did their nickname change from PAMs to RAMs?
billryan
billryan
October 25th, 2023 at 12:47:20 PM permalink
I don't think PAMS was an official nickname, just something the public adopted, like the GAG line in the NHL. In 1939, RIU became the first major school to average two points a game and was known as the Firehouse Gang because their games were like a fire drill.
Frank Kearny was considered one of the most influential basketball coaches in history, as late as the early 1970s, but is now mostly forgotten. He had a terrible in-game reputation, but his innovations, including the fast break and the run and gun, changed the game forever.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 25th, 2023 at 1:12:39 PM permalink
Earl "Big Cat" Lloyd was the first black player in the NBA - he joined the Washington Capitols in 1950

the black players completely changed the game

I'm not going to speculate about why - but the black players just have greater skills than the white players - generally speaking

they jump higher, have greater speed and quickness, and have much more imagination offensively - again - generally speaking

not to say that there aren't and always have been great white players - but so few in numbers - especially when you consider that there are about 231 million Caucasians in the U.S. and only about 42 million African Americans

as of 2021 the NBA was composed of about 73% black players and only about 17% white players

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA#:~:text=According%20to%20racial%20equality%20activist,and%200.4%20percent%20Asian%20players.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 26th, 2023 at 2:29:22 AM permalink
highlights of Victor's NBA debut - the 7'4" 19 year old who shoots 3s had 15 and the crowd loved it up

in the vid he dribbles between his legs before nailing a 3 - unreal

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 26, 2023
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 26th, 2023 at 5:31:03 AM permalink

highlights of Victor's NBA debut - the 7'4" 19 year old who shoots 3s had 15 and the crowd loved it up

in the vid he dribbles between his legs before nailing a 3 - unreal

link to original post

I was struck by this photo of him in action.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
  • Jump to: