6 votes (13.95%)
1 vote (2.32%)
1 vote (2.32%)

43 members have voted

redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 22
August 9th, 2020 at 1:38:22 PM permalink
I mentioned before that my friend tried to get his band in cutouts behind Phillies' home plate, but they vetoed him being shirtless and also vetoed the lead singer, who wears a mask with horns. Evidently horns are a no go. The girl in the band would have qualified, but who wants to see a hot woman by herself behind home plate without a shirtless dude and a guy wearing horns?

My girlfriend commented on the whiteness, too. It's hard to hide the paleness of the cutouts.

For anybody wondering about the band, here we go. They shot this, and the two previous, in quarantine. Takes a good editor and some cleverness to make it work when half the band is on one coast and half on the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4x-iz9FPuk
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
August 10th, 2020 at 4:39:48 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

So last week, I commented about how I hate MLB's new extra inning rule (runner starting on 2nd base). I am a bit of a traditionalist and just don't like changing the game. I hate college football's overtime format and the NHL overtime as well.

So today, resting at home, I watched the Phillies/Yankees double header with the new double header 7 innings rule. Anyone want to guess my feelings on that? lol yep, I hate it.

In baseball you have your starting pitchers, your middle relief guys and your late inning set up and closers. With 7 innings you completely eliminate the middle relief guys. Teams can go right from starters to set up guys and closers. It takes a segment of the game, middle relief away. That may be a teams strength or weakness. I just don't like changing the game like this. Anyone else?

Baseball is so abjectly boring it really is better to limit the time of the games....... But seriously, you make a great point. As long as they just do it for this truncated COVID-19 season, I guess it makes sense. If they extend it to become permanent, I'd be against it. Can't you wait for an asterisk perfect game?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
August 10th, 2020 at 9:31:45 AM permalink
Away from baseball let's get to the only sport that really matters.

It looks like college football is cancelling the fall season. The Big Ten has just cancelled so now you can expect most of the other conferences to follow shortly,

A very sad day for me.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
August 10th, 2020 at 7:16:06 PM permalink
I remember that Earl Monroe replaced Dick Barnett as the starting guard opposite Walt Frazier on the Knicks. Barnett retired, but he was very solid. Monroe came in with high expectations, but Reed and Frazier continued to be the best players on the team, and DeBusschere probably made at least as much of an impact as Earl the Pearl.

I am a Mets fan, so I became accustomed to see many famous players get traded to NY and fizzle: Willie Mays, George Foster, Jim Fregosi, etc., etc.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 200
August 10th, 2020 at 10:23:06 PM permalink
The Mountain West Conference of which UNLV is a member became the second conference to cancel football for this season. So that solves the scheduling problems between UNLV and the Raiders involving the new stadium. Reports are the big 5 power conferences have been held discussion over the weekend and decision is expected in the near future. Reports are there was significant support for cancelling the season.
DRich
DRich
August 11th, 2020 at 7:20:37 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

. Reports are there was significant support for cancelling the season.

Most reports that I have seen believe the season will not be cancelled but more likely moved to the spring.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 200
August 11th, 2020 at 9:05:17 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Most reports that I have seen believe the season will not be cancelled but more likely moved to the spring.

I don't really "get" this idea of moving seasons to other times of the year. I mean lets take this case of collage football. You play in the spring have a championship game in July, that bumps right up against the next season as teams begin practice in July and August. How does that work?

Same thing with the NBA and NHL. It is now August. If they are fortunate enough to get their seasons in now as planned, with no more delays, they are playing right though to October. The new NBA and NHL seasons start in October!

It just seems like the seasons have all grown so long that there really isn't that kind of leeway. If something happens that the season has to be disrupted or delayed for a long period like months, you have to scrap it and move on and start preparing plans for the next season, and what you might have to do to get that in. I love college basketball and March Madness, but they did it right. We aren't having March Madness here in August. lol
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
August 11th, 2020 at 9:13:57 AM permalink
Has the NBA or NHL addressed when next season will begin?
DRich
DRich
August 11th, 2020 at 9:17:13 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Has the NBA or NHL addressed when next season will begin?

I believe I heard December for the NBA.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
August 11th, 2020 at 9:21:55 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I remember that Earl Monroe replaced Dick Barnett as the starting guard opposite Walt Frazier on the Knicks. Barnett retired, but he was very solid. Monroe came in with high expectations, but Reed and Frazier continued to be the best players on the team, and DeBusschere probably made at least as much of an impact as Earl the Pearl.

I am a Mets fan, so I became accustomed to see many famous players get traded to NY and fizzle: Willie Mays, George Foster, Jim Fregosi, etc., etc.

Barnett played on the Knicks for two years after Monroe joined them, but didn't get a lot of playing time. He had a nice, solid career.
Jerry Lucas ma have been the best player on the team those last few years, as Reed was injured as often as not. Lucas is in the Hall of Fame but he'd be considered a basketball god if the three-point shoot rule had been in effect. His ability to shoot from the outside while still crashing the offensive boards was unprecedented.

• Jump to: