2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 26th, 2023 at 7:23:55 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I was struck by this photo of him in action.

That is a great photo.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 26th, 2023 at 7:28:26 AM permalink
His legs are far too skinny. I hope he can stay healthy, but am not optimistic.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 26th, 2023 at 9:05:38 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I was struck by this photo of him in action.

link to original post

Wow. Wow. Wiggins is 6'7" and is standing on his toes.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
October 26th, 2023 at 3:25:39 PM permalink
Good football game on tonight ESPN2 at 7:30 EST. Should be a high scoring affair. One point spread O/U 62.5
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 27th, 2023 at 2:28:57 AM permalink
Michigan - currently ranked #2 - is under investigation for a complex sign stealing operation

it was pretty sophisticated involving computers and cameras and buying tickets to opponents games to do this

another story said many other teams have been doing this - something I wasn't aware of

I wonder why they don't give the plays electronically as the NFL does - as far I know the NFL doesn't have any problem with this

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2023/10/26/michigan-sign-stealing-updates-latest-news-ncaa-investigation-jim-harbaugh-team/71328356007/

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 27, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 4:15:41 PM permalink
Justin Fields is out on Sunday for the Chicago Bears. He is being replaced by the all-time NCAA TD pass leader who will get his first NFL start. Tyson Bagent. I follow college football closer than 99.999% of football fans and I was not familiar with him. Apparently he went to Shepherd university which happens to be in Shepherdstown West Virginia which I have also never heard of. I look forward to watching him.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
October 27th, 2023 at 5:42:43 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Justin Fields is out on Sunday for the Chicago Bears. He is being replaced by the all-time NCAA TD pass leader who will get his first NFL start. Tyson Bagent. I follow college football closer than 99.999% of football fans and I was not familiar with him. Apparently he went to Shepherd university which happens to be in Shepherdstown West Virginia which I have also never heard of. I look forward to watching him.
link to original post

Tyson Bagent sounds vaguely Tolkien-esque, like a resident of Hobbiton.

Bagent dominated Division II. 159 Touchdown passes in his career. Reportedly his arm strength is not outstanding for an NFL QB.

But he did beat out QB Nathan Peterman for a spot on the Bears roster, so how bad could he be?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 27th, 2023 at 7:57:15 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

There is very little excitement in Tucson about Arizona. I don't have cable, so I watched both games in the clubhouse, and there were far more people watching the AL game than the D-Backs, or D-Bags as many people refer to them.
link to original post

What’s not to like about the Diamondbacks? Do they not like baseball in Tucson or do they hate Phoenix that much? I’m a lifelong Rangers fan and I like the Diamondbacks.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
billryan
billryan
October 27th, 2023 at 10:08:06 PM permalink
I'm new in town and don't know the whole story but the Dbacks evidently convinced Tucson to build a huge spring training complex and stadium, with the understanding the Backs AAA team would play there in season. They reneged, moved their spring training elsewhere and the AAA went to Reno.
Tucson doesn't feel like a big sports town, but I'm new so I'll see. Bisbee had almost no sports bars and local bars didn't show the NFL.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
October 29th, 2023 at 3:53:09 PM permalink
The NY Giants passed for -9 yards in their game today in their 13-10 loss to the Jets.
billryan
billryan
October 29th, 2023 at 4:08:44 PM permalink

The NY Giants passed for -9 yards in their game today in their 13-10 loss to the Jets.
link to original post

Who was their third-string QB? I saw Taylor left the game.
DRich
DRich
October 29th, 2023 at 4:10:35 PM permalink

link to original post

Who was their third-string QB? I saw Taylor left the game.
link to original post

Devito, a rookie out of Illinois.
DRich
DRich
October 29th, 2023 at 4:20:07 PM permalink
Interesting day today in the NFL.

1) Lots of injuries
2) Patrick Mahomes looks human
3) Titans QB throws four TD's in his first start (tying a record I believe).
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
October 30th, 2023 at 4:44:00 AM permalink
After the Bears/Chargers game, no one was talking about undrafted QB Tyson Bagent from Shepherd. So much for 159 passing TDs in Div 2. I suspect he's had his 15 minutes of fame.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
October 30th, 2023 at 5:42:08 AM permalink

Interesting day today in the NFL.

1) Lots of injuries
2) Patrick Mahomes looks human
3) Titans QB throws four TD's in his first start (tying a record I believe).
link to original post

I don’t think Will Levis even started the game. Pretty sure they started Malik Willis.

Mahomes played well enough to win. His receivers dropped a bunch. And RBs sucked as well. I think they had 5 turnovers?

The QB injuries were ridiculous. At least 5 QBs went down. Cousins. Stafford. Taylor. Pickett. Ridder I may be missing one.

DeVito is Giants QB. He made one good escape from the rushing linemen mid game. Was third and 12 or so. Slid after 11 yard gain. Could EASILY have picked up the first down. You are a 3rd string guy trying to stay in the league and won’t risk a hit to pick up a first down? If he isn’t cut before next week (he won’t be of course) I’d ask for refund on Giants tix.

Teams likely to not have #1 QB next game
Jets. Giants. Browns. Steelers. Rams. Bears. Vikings. Cardinals. Falcons. Titans.

The NFL is certainly the league of parity this year. Eagles only one loss team and they’ve been squeaking through….
Last edited by: SOOPOO on Oct 30, 2023
billryan
billryan
October 30th, 2023 at 6:32:03 AM permalink
I didn't see the game but when a third-string QB is playing, does he have a backup? If not, then he has to avoid getting injured. I'd think the coach would tell him not to take chances. I can't think of a better way to be out of the league than getting hurt and leaving the team with no QB.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 30th, 2023 at 7:19:41 AM permalink
the unpredictability is amazing to me
I follow the Commanders
I had watched Sam Howell their qb every single game and I believed he didn't have what it takes
he was horrible the previous Sunday against the Giants - the Commanders got only 7 points
then yesterday, against the Eagles, maybe the best team in the NFL -
the Commanders lost - but he went 31 of 38 and he threw for just under 400 yards
go figure

billryan
billryan
October 30th, 2023 at 7:24:46 AM permalink
On any given Sunday.....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
October 30th, 2023 at 12:07:18 PM permalink

I didn't see the game but when a third-string QB is playing, does he have a backup? If not, then he has to avoid getting injured. I'd think the coach would tell him not to take chances. I can't think of a better way to be out of the league than getting hurt and leaving the team with no QB.
link to original post

All teams have a plan like using a wide receiver or other player who might have played QB in high school. It happened to the 49ers in the fateful NFC championship game. I think they used McCaffrey? I can assure you that for the play I am discussing the coach would want him to pick up the first down. It’s not like DeVito’s backup couldn’t have exceeded the negative yards he amassed….
I guess in the salary cap era you will pay a guy who is incompetent $$$,$$$ hoping he isn’t used rather than a barely competent guy $,$$$,$$$.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
October 30th, 2023 at 3:50:55 PM permalink
Reality in NFL is ANY deep roster guy not on a (guaranteed) multi year contract is getting his pink slip for any significant injury regardless if he’s doing what the coaches wanted or not. Something I perhaps should keep in mind when I mock kickers/punters “tackle attempts.”

Replacement level players who aren’t available….get replaced.
The only arguments against that reality are quibbling over what qualifies as “deep roster” and your odd exceptions to every rule.
DRich
DRich
October 30th, 2023 at 5:12:58 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Reality in NFL is ANY deep roster guy not on a (guaranteed) multi year contract is getting his pink slip for any significant injury regardless if he’s doing what the coaches wanted or not. Something I perhaps should keep in mind when I mock kickers/punters “tackle attempts.”

Replacement level players who aren’t available….get replaced.
The only arguments against that reality are quibbling over what qualifies as “deep roster” and your odd exceptions to every rule.
link to original post

What will be interesting is what will happen with Cousins. He was about to get one of the highest ever annual salaries and then yesterday he blows his knee. Even after a horrible injury I expect he will still get $20 to $40 million per year it will just be a shorter deal.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 30th, 2023 at 6:31:10 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

People on Long Island were in a fever pitch. Dr. J and Tiny together.... in the NBA.

Dr. J was one more back in the day baller - he entered the ABA in '71 - (earlier I had named Wilt and Kareem) who is a bridge to the players of later eras

link to original post

Dr. J was as athletic at 63 as many are in their peak athletic years. Pretty amazing. I could do a weak dunk maybe like that from age 17-22/23 then it was all downhill, even if I could still jump think I'd probably feel it in my knees for a week after.

The commercial with the spanish subtitles pretty much calls him a bridge to eras like Red says. Going to estimate that's a 25ish inch vertical jump at 63.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 31st, 2023 at 2:45:35 AM permalink
r.i.p. Frank Howard - a monster of a man nicknamed "The Capital Punisher" - 6'7" - 275 - who I got to see up close for the Washington Senators
he hit one of the farthest home runs in MLB history - into the center field upper deck at DC Stadium
in his best year he had 44 homers and 126 rbi
he also starred at hoops for Ohio State averaging 20 one year and was the 21st overall pick by the NBA - he instead chose baseball

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 31st, 2023 at 6:33:23 AM permalink
Frank Howard was a mountain of a man. While he never lived up to " The Next Babe Ruth" hype given to him as a Dodger rookie, he became the only bright spot on an otherwise dreadful Washington team. He averaged 46 home runs a year in 1968-1970 but was out of baseball three years later. He coached and later managed the NY Mets and was a regular at many charity events in Queens.
In 1969, he finished second in an epic home run battle between himself, Reggie Jackson, and Harmon Killebrew that saw them ahead of Roger Maris's record for most of the summer.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 31st, 2023 at 3:04:35 PM permalink
Well I guess I have to enter the cheering for Josh Dobbs club now. Probably the best team he’s had to have a chance to play on I suppose.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 1st, 2023 at 2:17:39 AM permalink
can you believe this_________?
a former NHL player died in a hockey game in England due to a skate to the neck
and it's being investigated as a possible crime
unreal

you can view the incident at 4:30 in the vid - also there's a news link

https://sports.yahoo.com/who-matt-petgrave-adam-johnson-death-013238554.html

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 1st, 2023 at 6:27:05 AM permalink
I don't know why I find any pass Jokic makes suprises me anymore but this is just crazy. Catches everyone sleeping coming back onto the court and throws a perfect alley oop inbound pass from near full court. Immediate timeout from opposing coach.

My favorite detail is watching the reaction of his teammate next to him, KCP. He's at first startled, wasn't even entirely on the court yet, and then after the play the shit grin on his face as he's turning towards the bench.

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 1st, 2023 at 6:21:28 PM permalink
RIP to the legendary, controversial hall of fame basketball coach Bob Knight.
billryan
billryan
November 1st, 2023 at 8:44:35 PM permalink
Congrats to the Rangers for their first title. They were the last of the original expansion teams to win.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
November 2nd, 2023 at 8:57:06 AM permalink

Congrats to the Rangers for their first title. They were the last of the original expansion teams to win.
link to original post

Was there baseball this month? No one seemed to notice. Dismal ratings. Read an article saying no buzz even in Arlington. Apparently Rangers barely on TV there. Need streaming services or the like. I watched some. I think the product was massively improved with the pitch clock/limited throws to first base. But no baseball game can compare to a good NFL game, or Stanley Cup game, or NBA Final game. And I grew up a huge Mets fan….
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 2nd, 2023 at 9:08:49 AM permalink
While the pitch clock is a massive spectator improvement, I think many of the casual fans who had a problem with the pace, or lack thereof, of the game had already moved on years before it was implemented. I guess maybe I’m just speaking for myself there.

Football has the same long pauses in game play and infrequent score problems to overcome as baseball, but (like hockey) it’s violent and barbaric so that keeps it entertaining.

If nba would ever move their season back two months to avoid 3.5 months of football season and punch down on baseball over the summer, I think the future of baseball would be significantly damaged.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 2nd, 2023 at 10:29:51 AM permalink
baseball is just too slow for me -
unless it's a great pitcher and he's on fire - I like watching that - especially the breaking balls
there are almost no knuckleballers left - I think just one
Phil Niekro - r.i.p. - back in the day was maybe the greatest - in '67 his ERA was 1.87 - wow

I've posted this before - but it's worth posting again
CAN YOU IMAGINE TRYING TO HIT THIS_______?__________rotflmao______________at 0:16 the dude falls down trying to hit it_________(-:\
in the vid he makes the batters look really, really bad
did these knuckleballers even have a clue where the ball would end up__________?
I don't think so

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 2nd, 2023 at 11:37:10 AM permalink
RIP to Walter “the greyhound” Davis, Phoenix Suns all time leading scorer and six time all star who played professionally from 1977-1992. Probably one of the better resumes not in the hall of fame.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 3rd, 2023 at 3:44:21 AM permalink
Kentucky and John Calipari have been trying to redeem themselves since the 2015 disaster in the Final 4 when they were 38- 0 and played stall ball when up by 4 points with 5 minutes to go and ended up losing to Wisconsin

Calipari is a great Coach with a great record - but no Title for KY since 2012

I saw a report that he makes $9 million per year - I had no idea college coaches could make that much

you can see the "stall ball" disaster at 7:19 in the vid - although it doesn't really show them stalling - just Wisconsin scoring and winning

DRich
DRich
November 3rd, 2023 at 8:14:26 AM permalink
That young kid Victor Webanyama had 35 points and 10 rebounds yesterday. He may make it in the NBA.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
November 3rd, 2023 at 11:34:50 AM permalink

That young kid Victor Webanyama had 35 points and 10 rebounds yesterday. He may make it in the NBA.
link to original post

You could tell Durant was unhappy that Durant wasn’t the best player on the court. You could tell how raw Wembanyama is. Someone tweeted that the Wemby you saw would be the worst Wemby you will see.

New topic. I don’t follow distance racing closely. But I was unaware that someone nearly broke two hours in a real marathon. Times have come way down since a new shoe type was developed in the last few years. Sort of like what happened in women’s swimming.

Butttttt……. for racing….. these new shoes cost over $500 a pair….. and are recommended for ONE TIME USE!
billryan
billryan
November 3rd, 2023 at 11:44:25 AM permalink
Last year the Spurs were the worst team in the NBA. They did little to improve beyond getting VW
Last year, the Suns were unbeatable at home with Durant in the lineup.
The Spurs, led by VW stomped the Suns with Durant. Maybe VW is being underrated. I hope he can stay healthy; he has a chance to
elevate basketball to new heights.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 3rd, 2023 at 11:54:08 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Butttttt……. for racing….. these new shoes cost over $500 a pair….. and are recommended for ONE TIME USE!
link to original post

lol. Environmentalists love those I am sure.

Street marathons have to be among the more obnoxious things streets get shut down for. Worse than a protest, which theoretically might actually have a point to it.

Trails, tracks, can run 26 miles anywhere anytime you want, but it has to be a big "everyone must look at me run, no one else is allowed to live in the meantime" event with that community. The event of a marathon is a form of narcissism in and of itself.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 4th, 2023 at 2:10:01 PM permalink
some of the roughest play you'll ever see in this vid
really brutal
much worse than the NFL because no pads, no helmets and a hard floor
I almost felt guilty watching it
but I couldn't turn it off - it's kinna mesmerizing

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2023 at 2:53:30 AM permalink
There are 5 unbeaten Ncaaf teams - all are 9-0 - ranked in order 1 thru 5 are Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Washington

None of them play each other except Ohio State is at Michigan on Nov. 25

Will be Huuuuuge - especially if they are both still unbeaten at that time

Michigan is in the middle of a sign stealing scandal and I saw one report indicating that Harbaugh could be suspended

in a way it seems unfair to me - if they play each other and they're both still undefeated one will surely knock the other out of a chance to play in the BCS title game

whereas any other unbeaten teams didn't have to play a top 5 team

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 5, 2023
billryan
billryan
November 5th, 2023 at 5:32:50 AM permalink

There are 5 unbeaten Ncaaf teams - all are 9-0 - ranked in order 1 thru 5 are Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Washington

None of them play each other except Ohio State is at Michigan on Nov. 25

Will be Huuuuuge - especially if they are both still unbeaten at that time

Michigan is in the middle of a sign stealing scandal and I saw one report indicating that Harbaugh could be suspended

in a way it seems unfair to me - if they play each other and they're both still undefeated one will surely knock the other out of a chance to play in the BCS title game

whereas any other unbeaten teams didn't have to play a top 5 team

link to original post

Life is so unfair.
DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2023 at 6:27:13 AM permalink

Unlikely. If the loser of that game only has a single loss to who will be the number one team, they will still most likely make the playoff. Ohio State is ranked number one right now but as a Buckeye fan they are not as good as Michigan and Georgia. Their defense is pretty good but their offense is not up to par with the best teams.
DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2023 at 6:29:07 AM permalink
I was unable to watch the Iowa-Northwestern game yesterday. Somehow Iowa keeps winning with such a pathetic offense. If anyone watched that barn burner, was it as exciting as the score dictated?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2023 at 6:42:16 AM permalink

Ohio State is ranked number one right now

the 2 polls I saw - linked - have Georgia ranked #1 and Ohio State #3

I think it changed from last week after Georgia beat #14 Missouri by 9 and Ohio State beat unranked Rutgers by 16 yesterday

also this is brand new this year - it's now a 12 team college football playoff

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-rankings/college-football-rankings-predicting-ap-top-25-poll-week-11

https://www.google.com/search?q=ncaaf+rankings&oq=ncaaf+ran&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0i131i433i512j0i512j0i131i433i512l2j0i512l4.3224j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-11-04/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids#:~:text=College%20Football%20Playoff%20officials%20will,the%20current%20four%2Dteam%20format.

DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2023 at 7:13:39 AM permalink

Ohio State is ranked number one right now

the 2 polls I saw - linked - have Georgia ranked #1 and Ohio State #3

I think it changed from last week after Georgia beat #14 Missouri by 9 and Ohio State beat unranked Rutgers by 16 yesterday

also this is brand new this year - it's now a 12 team college football playoff

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-rankings/college-football-rankings-predicting-ap-top-25-poll-week-11

https://www.google.com/search?q=ncaaf+rankings&oq=ncaaf+ran&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0i131i433i512j0i512j0i131i433i512l2j0i512l4.3224j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-11-04/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids#:~:text=College%20Football%20Playoff%20officials%20will,the%20current%20four%2Dteam%20format.

link to original post

Ohio State is number one in the official playoff rankings that were released (used to be called the BCS ranking but the name may have changed) on Tuesday and updated every Tuesday. The playoffs this year is still only four teams, the 12 team field starts with the 2024 football season.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-10-31/college-football-playoff-rankings-ohio-state-georgia-michigan-florida-state-lead-first
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
November 5th, 2023 at 7:28:09 AM permalink
Hard to imagine I’m saying this…. but Alabama is underrated. Their QB has figured out that he is amazing. Last night threw great, and ran even better. If they played Georgia tomorrow, I’d take Bama.
FSU looked mediocre, but top two WRs were on the shelf.
I don’t think BCS wants the 4 best teams…. Georgia. Alabama. Michigan. Ohio State.
billryan
billryan
November 5th, 2023 at 7:32:37 AM permalink
If Bama can continue to play at the level they showed last night, the rest of the teams are in trouble.

An interesting piece of trivia from last night's game- Can you name the last two QBs to beat Bama twice in their college career?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2023 at 7:50:00 AM permalink

The playoffs this year is still only four teams,

okay, I don't want to dwell too much on this, but -
if all 5 teams that are currently undefeated remain undefeated until the end of the season -
except for whoever loses the Ohio State/Michigan game -
don't you think that the loser of that game will not be one of the four chosen_____?

DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2023 at 7:54:40 AM permalink

Can you name the last two QBs to beat Bama twice in their college career?

My first thought was Tebow but that was the wrong Gator QB. I believe the other ones were mainly from the Big Ten.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
November 5th, 2023 at 8:16:12 AM permalink

The playoffs this year is still only four teams,

okay, I don't want to dwell too much on this, but -
if all 5 teams that are currently undefeated remain undefeated until the end of the season -
except for whoever loses the Ohio State/Michigan game -
don't you think that the loser of that game will not be one of the four chosen_____?

link to original post

Yes. No ‘power 5’ undefeated team will be excluded from the playoffs, unless there were more than 4 of them.
  • Jump to: