mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
lilredrooster
November 22nd, 2023 at 3:37:59 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

a lot of basketball courts are being made now with very bright colors
call me an old fogey if you want but imo it's a terrible idea
the red rim as well as the ball no longer stands out due to contrast making it harder for the players to concentrate on the ball and the rim
and harder for the fans to follow the ball and the rim - very distracting - especially when watching on TV

link to original post

Most of them are definitely quite awful, some of them I have to switch to a different game. These courts are only used on nights the games counts towards the in season tournament though, so the benefit is it makes it apparent to the viewers it’s in season tournament night.

Crazy in season tournament game between Hawks and Pacers last night, 157-152 in regulation.
I don’t think there was a single stop between 5 and 1 minutes remaining in fourth quarter with both centers off the floor, Tyrese Haliburton had 7 three pointers in the third quarter alone, and Atlanta lost despite scoring 86 points in the first half.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 22, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 23rd, 2023 at 3:43:54 AM permalink
Mac - remember the ABA multicolored basketball__________?
maybe not - I think you're too young

omg - really, really horrible

iirc I think I saw some of those crazy ass looking basketball courts in college games - but not as bad as the one in the pic

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 23rd, 2023 at 4:58:46 AM permalink

iirc I think I saw some of those crazy ass looking basketball courts in college games - but not as bad as the one in the pic

link to original post

Who is the commissioner on that ball? I don't remember him or I can't properly make out the name.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 23rd, 2023 at 5:09:29 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Who is the commissioner on that ball? I don't remember him or I can't properly make out the name.
link to original post

Dave DeBusschere - a pretty great player himself who was on the Knicks 2 Championship teams

the ABL, shut down in 1963 - then became the Eastern League - and then the ABA in 1967 also were the first to adopt the 3 pointer
the NBA didn't follow suit until 1979

arrgy
arrgy
  • Threads: 0
November 23rd, 2023 at 5:23:25 AM permalink
God that is ugly, They could have put the stinking liberty bell in the center and it would have looked nicer. Speaking of stadiums. A weird trend going on in football.

Since 1985, there have been 9 stadiums that have hosted the Super Bowl for the first time.

The NFC has won 8 of them, and the NFC East has won 5 of the 8. The only holdout was in Jacksonville when the Eagles lost to the Pats. The Eagles are the only team to lose two SB by 3 points.

This year the Super Bowl is in a new stadium in Las Vegas.

Also, go back to the 80s. All the games played for the first time in a new stadium was won by a team that had already won a super bowl, with one exception: Seattle in 2014.

The trend says an NFC team who has already won a Super Bowl will win it again this year.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
mcallister3200
November 23rd, 2023 at 6:05:35 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Here's the story about Slick Pinkham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLyHEoDlpSg.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 23rd, 2023 at 6:43:40 AM permalink

link to original post

Oregon has a pretty visually disturbing court with the 3-D type trees for college basketball. I actually like the ABA basketball....bought a couple similar looking outdoor basketballs to play with over the years. I probably think more Harlem Globetrotters when I see it though.

Multi color basketball maybe more fitting for the outdoor environment, I like combining the artwork with the court at parks. Lots of outdoor courts like that in Latin America, here's one just outside Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, don't understand how anyone plays in that humidity though. Court wasn't actually sideways but I'm not editing that.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 24th, 2023 at 2:51:44 AM permalink
just about every NFL game you see one or two of these calls
really dumb move by the player

grabbing the face mask

I don't get it - why would they do that__________?________ it's so very obvious

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 24, 2023
DRich
DRich
November 24th, 2023 at 6:09:11 AM permalink

link to original post

Dave DeBusschere - a pretty great player himself who was on the Knicks 2 Championship teams

the ABL, shut down in 1963 - then became the Eastern League - and then the ABA in 1967 also were the first to adopt the 3 pointer

link to original post

Sorry, I don't believe you. Look at the signature for the commissioner on that basketball, there is no way that says Dave DeBusschere.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 24th, 2023 at 7:26:32 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Sorry, I don't believe you. Look at the signature for the commissioner on that basketball, there is no way that says Dave DeBusschere.

link to original post

I guess I didn't really understand your question - sorry about that - you were asking whose signature as Commissioner was on the ball - I thought you were asking who was the Commissioner while the ball was being used

the name on that basketball is Slick Pinkham who is a fictitious character - he doesn't exist

the Facebook link shows that this fictitious person was named as an Honorary Commissioner - by some company who had this basketball manufactured

the Wiki link shows that DeBusschere was the ABA Commissioner for the '75-'76 season

there were other Commissioners of the ABA who also may have been around during the use of that ball - so my answer was not complete - but I think they used the ball the entire time the ABA was active - googling, I could not find an answer as to exactly when they began using that ball

the ABA Commissioners were:

George Mikan, James Gardner, Jack Dolph, Bob Carlson, Mike Storen, Ted Munchak and Dave DeBusschere

I also have included the YT vid from Chester Dog's OP indicating how Slick Pinkham became a fictitious person

https://www.facebook.com/LanaSports/posts/one-of-our-favorite-aba-stories-the-story-of-slick-pinkham-in-the-1971-aba-draft/521266092713309/?locale=hi_IN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Basketball_Association

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
mcallister3200
November 24th, 2023 at 9:47:32 AM permalink
just about totally forgotten
but in his day - with the Globetrotters, in the ABA, the NBA and against the fabulous competition on the Rucker Park playground he was a legend
the Hawk - Connie Hawkins - high flying with huge hands and all kinds of moves
he was unfairly expelled from Iowa, and then blackballed from the NCAA and the NBA due to a point shaving scandal that he had nothing to do with
he sued the NBA and they allowed him to play and settled with him for over $1 million

I read a post that stated that every single player on his Boys High team in the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn was dunking in 𝟭𝟵𝟱𝟵

watch him use up Kareem and Wilt in the paint 3 in the vid____________________________(-:\

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 24, 2023
DRich
DRich
November 24th, 2023 at 10:59:32 AM permalink

I guess I didn't really understand your question - sorry about that - you were asking whose signature as Commissioner was on the ball - I thought you were asking who was the Commissioner while the ball was being used

the name on that basketball is Slick Pinkham who is a fictitious character - he doesn't exist

That makes a lot more sense. I sure thought I would have recognized the commissioners name.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
lilredrooster
November 24th, 2023 at 11:28:38 AM permalink

just about totally forgotten
but in his day - with the Globetrotters, in the ABA, the NBA and against the fabulous competition on the Rucker Park playground he was a legend
the Hawk - Connie Hawkins - high flying with huge hands and all kinds of moves
he was unfairly expelled from Iowa, and then blackballed from the NCAA and the NBA due to a point shaving scandal that he had nothing to do with
he sued the NBA and they allowed him to play and settled with him for over $1 million

I read a post that stated that every single player on his Boys High team in the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn was dunking in 𝟭𝟵𝟱𝟵

watch him use up Kareem and Wilt in the paint 3 in the vid____________________________(-:\

Like my favorite old time player that I've learned about. NOBODY could palm a ball like The Hawk....not even your Dr. J's and Icemen.

link to original post

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 25th, 2023 at 3:18:34 AM permalink
a few of the NBA's greats who never won a Championship

of course, they're multi-millionaires - but still - it's gotta sting a little bit:

Patrick Ewing
Elgin Baylor
Charles Barkley
Dikembe Motumbo
Allen Iverson
John Stockton
Steve Nash
Reggie Miller
Chris Weber
George Gervin
Karl Malone
Adrian Dantley
Nate Thurmond
Pete Maravich

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 25th, 2023 at 7:44:13 AM permalink

of course, they're multi-millionaires - but still - it's gotta sting a little bit:

Patrick Ewing
Elgin Baylor
Charles Barkley
Dikembe Motumbo
Allen Iverson
John Stockton
Steve Nash
Reggie Miller
Chris Weber
George Gervin
Karl Malone
Adrian Dantley
Nate Thurmond
Pete Maravich

link to original post

Active. (And been around)

George
Harden
Lillard
Westbrook
Davis
Embiid
Tatum
Paul
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 25th, 2023 at 7:47:20 AM permalink

Patrick Ewing
Elgin Baylor
Charles Barkley
Dikembe Motumbo
Allen Iverson
John Stockton
Steve Nash
Reggie Miller
Chris Weber
George Gervin
Karl Malone
Adrian Dantley
Nate Thurmond
Pete Maravich

link to original post

Well, Pete Maravich is dead... and I'm sure THAT does sting a little bit.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 29th, 2023 at 4:11:01 AM permalink
truly great play in the Michigan State h.s. title game
behind the back interception

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 29th, 2023 at 12:39:57 PM permalink
This link is one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen at a college football press conference. This is Texas A&M introducing new coach Mike Elko and I can just imagine Elko thinking WTF? and leaving the conference to book a flight back to Duke Univ.

Its a 13 second X|twitter video and I can't post it here directly, so this is a link to the video on an X|twitter.page.

Texas A&M Mike Elko press conference
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
November 29th, 2023 at 2:26:01 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

This link is one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen at a college football press conference. This is Texas A&M introducing new coach Mike Elko and I can just imagine Elko thinking WTF? and leaving the conference to book a flight back to Duke Univ.

Its a 13 second X|twitter video and I can't post it here directly, so this is a link to the video on an X|twitter.page.

Texas A&M Mike Elko press conference
link to original post

I am guessing that he is thinking, "In 3 years they will pay me $50 million to go away."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 2nd, 2023 at 4:08:02 AM permalink
this vid is pretty interesting - to me anyway
banked free throws are becoming a trend and are getting a lot of notice in the Korean Basketball League
the claim is that several players are shooting greater than 80% from the line by banking them in
I've never before heard of anybody trying to bank in free throws

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 2, 2023
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
December 3rd, 2023 at 8:44:24 AM permalink
I don't remember this much uncertainty ever in which four teams will make the College Football Playoff. The leading ensembles seem to be (not necessarily in order of their top four rankings):

Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Texas

OR

Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Alabama

OR

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama

OR

Michigan, Washington, Alabama, Georgia
DRich
DRich
December 3rd, 2023 at 8:54:57 AM permalink

banked free throws are becoming a trend and are getting a lot of notice in the Korean Basketball League
the claim is that several players are shooting greater than 80% from the line by banking them in

There are currently 79 NBA players averaging 80% or better on free throws this year.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:02:10 AM permalink

link to original post

I’ve used banked free throws in ‘horse’ for decades. I don’t think I can do 80%. But easily well over 80% regular. I literally can’t remember the last time I went shooting and didn’t get at least 20 in a row. Rebounding for myself.
No, I can’t control dice….
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:36:49 AM permalink
the back in the day great Rick Barry - the "Miami Greyhound" shot free throws underhand - and he was great at it - 89.3% - 4th highest % ever in the NBA
the only other player of that era that I can recall that shot them that way was Wilt - and he was terrible at it
I believe that they were shot that way thru the 50s and by the 60s almost no one shot them that way

DRich
DRich
December 3rd, 2023 at 10:41:06 AM permalink
Although Mike Tomlin and Kirk Ferentz differ slightly in look and stature, I believe the Pittsburgh Steelers and Iowa Hawkeyes may be the same team.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
lilredrooster
December 4th, 2023 at 2:25:10 PM permalink
Darrell Griffith AKA "Dr. Dunkenstein" is a mostly forgotten, very talented player from the era of short shorts and hair bands who had a 48 inch vertical. He also led the league in 3 point shooting one season, maybe would have been really good nowadays with more three's and fast paced game. Great college player, first half decade of NBA career was very good until he began to have chronic injury issues and Karl Malone and John Stockton emerged as Utah's key players. Stockton has a few nice passes in Griffith's highlight reels.

TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
unJon
December 5th, 2023 at 9:16:17 AM permalink
Hilarious that if we still had the BCS, it would have been a better way to decide the national champion. Michigan would play Washington in the National Championship Game, and if FSU wins their New Year's Bowl Game, they get to declare themselves co-champions, like USC in '03.

One thing completely overlooked isn't just leaving FSU out, but how dishonest it is to have them 5th. If the other two one loss teams are ahead of them, be honest and drop them to 6th. Because if Alabama beat Texas this year, the same criteria that put Texas in would mean Georgia would have to be the fourth team.
DRich
DRich
December 5th, 2023 at 10:13:50 AM permalink
Who is the highest ranked team that Florida State would be favored over in a bowl game? It might just be #14 Louisville.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 5th, 2023 at 10:27:05 AM permalink

Who is the highest ranked team that Florida State would be favored over in a bowl game? It might just be #14 Louisville.
link to original post

maybe
but isn't that only because they lost their star qb Jordan Travis due to an injury
was it right to use that as a factor in making the decision________?
I don't think so
the decision imo should have been based solely on their record
DRich
DRich
December 5th, 2023 at 10:59:40 AM permalink

link to original post

maybe
but isn't that only because they lost their star qb Jordan Travis due to an injury
was it right to use that as a factor in making the decision________?
I don't think so
the decision imo should have been based solely on their record
link to original post

I disagree, their bylaws say to pick the current best four teams. If their QB was still playing they would be in the playoffs.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
SOOPOO
December 5th, 2023 at 11:17:19 AM permalink

I disagree, their bylaws say to pick the current best four teams. If their QB was still playing they would be in the playoffs.

That means the committee did not follow the bylaws by putting Washington in over both Georgia and Ohio State.
DRich
DRich
December 5th, 2023 at 11:24:49 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

That means the committee did not follow the bylaws by putting Washington in over both Georgia and Ohio State.
link to original post

I am from Ohio and an Ohio State fan and I would put Washington ahead of the Buckeyes. They really weren't very good this year. Their QB play was deficient and I saw yesterday their QB entered the transfer portal. My guess is that they will get Cameron Ward.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 5th, 2023 at 11:26:11 AM permalink
The only benefit of how the selection played out is the FSU/Georgia game, which will end the debate from my point of view, one way or another.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 5th, 2023 at 12:15:25 PM permalink

Quote: TomG

link to original post

I am from Ohio and an Ohio State fan and I would put Washington ahead of the Buckeyes. They really weren't very good this year. Their QB play was deficient and I saw yesterday their QB entered the transfer portal. My guess is that they will get Cameron Ward.
link to original post

interesting
because you didn't say that you would put Washington in over Georgia
and if that means that you don't think they should have -
then per your post - that means the Committee did not follow their own bylaws
DRich
DRich
December 5th, 2023 at 12:23:03 PM permalink

\
interesting
because you didn't say that you would put Washington ahead of Georgia
and if that means that you don't think they should have -
then per your post - that means the Committee did not follow their own bylaws

I also didn't tell you that my favorite color is green. I would include Georgia in my top four teams and would have dropped Alabama or Texas. Maybe the committee believes those teams are better than Georgia even though I don't. Being an Ohio State fan I would drop Michigan no matter how good they are.
unJon
unJon
December 5th, 2023 at 12:23:47 PM permalink
This would have been fun:

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 5th, 2023 at 12:34:13 PM permalink
delete
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 5th, 2023 at 12:57:59 PM permalink

Maybe the committee believes those teams are better than Georgia even though I don't.
link to original post

or maybe the Committee put Washington over Georgia because Washington was undefeated and Georgia wasn't
maybe they don't really think Washington is better than Georgia but they didn't wanna screw 2 undefeated teams
I think they only had it in them to mess with one undefeated team
keeping 2 out would have been really ridiculous looking

Washington won its last 7 games by margins of 8,9,10,7,2. 3 and 3

Georgia won its last 7 games not including Alabama by margins of 38,17,23,9,35,28 and 8
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
December 5th, 2023 at 1:12:57 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

Oh yeah, Oklahoma would have loved that bracket.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
unJon
unJon
December 5th, 2023 at 1:20:34 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

link to original post

Oh yeah, Oklahoma would have loved that bracket.
link to original post

Undefeated Liberty cannot be denied!
DRich
DRich
December 5th, 2023 at 2:01:57 PM permalink

Undefeated Liberty cannot be denied!

I believe starting next year they are required to take the highest rated non power five team.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
lilredrooster
December 5th, 2023 at 7:43:06 PM permalink
They ABSOLUTELY DID NOT just select the ‘best 4 teams’.
Georgia would be considered better than Washington by ANY knowledgeable college football analyst.
Seriously, do you think anyone, if offered $1,000,000 to pick the winner of Georgia /Washington would pick Washington? Heck, Georgia is over a FOURTEEN point favorite against FSU.
Is the committee that stupid to think FSU is actually a better team than Georgia? No! But they are rated higher than Georgia. So it CLEARLY is not a ranking of ‘the best teams’.

I don’t care what their bylaws state. They do some sort of combo of best team, best record, injury factor, strength of schedule, who you beat, when you beat them, who you lost to, when you lost, etc…
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2023 at 4:06:47 AM permalink
super fast Dolphins wideout Tyreek Hill is on track to possibly gain 2,000 yards this season
he has 1,481 with 5 games left
no receiver has ever gained that many yards in a regular season

DRich
DRich
Thanked by
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2023 at 4:21:32 AM permalink

super fast Dolphins wideout Tyreek Hill is on track to possibly gain 2,000 yards this season

link to original post

He is having a great year especially considering his injuries. In my old school opinion, he needs to get to 2000 yards in 16 games not the 17 the season has recently been expanded to.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 6th, 2023 at 5:17:54 AM permalink

link to original post

He is having a great year especially considering his injuries. In my old school opinion, he needs to get to 2000 yards in 16 games not the 17 the season has recently been expanded to.
link to original post

This thought will go away soon. When league expanded from 14 to 16 you heard the same thing for a while. You of course don’t hear that anymore.
He should be in MVP conversation.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2023 at 5:24:16 AM permalink
Lebron James was dominant last night. Nearly a triple double also getting 5 steals. He’s still one of the best players in the world at age 38. The GOAT continues to add to his ridiculous resume.
He’s FOURTH all time in assists!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2023 at 7:08:55 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Lebron James was dominant last night. Nearly a triple double also getting 5 steals. He’s still one of the best players in the world at age 38. The GOAT continues to add to his ridiculous resume.
link to original post

he'll be 39 in a few weeks - his birthday is Dec. 30
he'll be playing at age 40 for most of next year
.they are giving him a little more rest this year - he's averaging 34 minutes per game - his career average is 38
DRich
DRich
December 6th, 2023 at 9:50:42 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

I am finally starting to think he can contest MJ for the title of GOAT.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2023 at 12:35:03 PM permalink

I am finally starting to think he can contest MJ for the title of GOAT.
link to original post

you mentioned MJ and iirc on one has posted a vid of his highlights
so I thought I would
hard to believe it's already been 20 years since he left the NBA
seems like yesterday
truly incredible some of the stuff he did
I watched all 19 minutes of the vid
I remember well the comment of an NBA announcer after one of his moves - "I just saw a man fly"______________(-:\

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 6, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 7th, 2023 at 3:58:50 AM permalink
very sad - Panthers tight end Hayden Hurst has been diagnosed with post traumatic amnesia after a tackle on the field and concussion protocol
I saw a report indicating that ex NFL players are a great deal more likely to get Alzheimer's or suffer from Dementia than the general population
as fans we love to watch and don't like to think about this stuff
I think for UFC and boxing it's even much worse

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 7, 2023
  • Jump to: