9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 1st, 2024 at 4:25:25 AM permalink
an NFL officiating crew will be downgraded because of an apparent blown call in the Lions failed 2 pt. attempt to win the game against the Cowboys in week 17

Espn reported that a large part of Brad Allen's crew will not be officiating in the postseason

Taylor Decker, a Tackle, caught a pass in the end zone but it was called back because the refs said he didn't report as being eligible
but Decker says he did report and video shows that he did report

because of a Cowboys penalty on the 2nd attempt the Lions got another try and failed again for a total of 3 failed 2 point attempts after the TD

if the Lions had won that game, as they should have, they would have been tied for top NFC seed in the playoffs with the 9ers
instead, they're now one game behind them

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-officiating-crew-that-oversaw-controversial-lions-cowboys-ending-downgraded-for-postseason-200620435.html

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 1, 2024
Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
lilredrooster
January 1st, 2024 at 7:28:39 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

an NFL officiating crew will be downgraded because of an apparent blown call in the Lions failed 2 pt. attempt to win the game against the Cowboys in week 17
Espn reported that a large part of Brad Allen's crew will not be officiating in the postseason
Taylor Decker, a Tackle, caught a pass in the end zone but it was called back because the refs said he didn't report as being eligible

because of a Cowboys penalty on the 2nd attempt the Lions got another try and failed again for a total of 3 failed 2 point attempts after the TD

if the Lions had won that game, as they should have, they would have been tied for top NFC seed in the playoffs with the 9ers

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-officiating-crew-that-oversaw-controversial-lions-cowboys-ending-downgraded-for-postseason-200620435.html

link to original post

The SOOPOO solution. If you are going to wear an ineligible number but want it to be eligible have a bright yellow covering over your jersey as a ‘caution’ to the defense that you are now eligible.

Dan Campbell imploded as a result. It was an absolutely stupid decision to not kick the extra point after the penalty. Trying from the 7 yard line is maybe a 20% success rate. As opposed to 2 yard line which I think is around 48%. The extra point would have still been less than 40 yards, which in a dome with no ‘weather’ is likely 90+% successful.

The misuse of timeouts by McCarthey was pathetic as well. Had the Lions succeeded on the 2 pointer it would have been a big deal.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 1st, 2024 at 8:48:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

The SOOPOO solution. If you are going to wear an ineligible number but want it to be eligible have a bright yellow covering over your jersey as a ‘caution’ to the defense that you are now eligible.

Dan Campbell imploded as a result. It was an absolutely stupid decision to not kick the extra point after the penalty. Trying from the 7 yard line is maybe a 20% success rate. As opposed to 2 yard line which I think is around 48%. The extra point would have still been less than 40 yards, which in a dome with no ‘weather’ is likely 90+% successful.

The misuse of timeouts by McCarthey was pathetic as well. Had the Lions succeeded on the 2 pointer it would have been a big deal.
link to original post

another thing that I wasn't aware of until now
the Lions also ran Skipper towards Allen in attempt to confuse the Cowboys
Dan Skipper, another lineman, routinely reports as eligible
although they may have confused the Cowboys more importantly they confused Allen, the referee, who thought Skipper was reporting as eligible

my opinion has changed

the Lions deserved to lose the game

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-has-no-plan-to-change-procedure-for-reporting-as-eligible

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
unJon
January 1st, 2024 at 3:54:11 PM permalink
My Iowa Hawkeyes did not disappoint in the Citrus Bowl. That was the showing we expected.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 1st, 2024 at 5:11:49 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My Iowa Hawkeyes did not disappoint in the Citrus Bowl. That was the showing we expected.
link to original post

Tennessee and over 34.5 hit no thanks to Iowa. If the offensive coordinator is not fired by tonight how can Iowa recruit an offensive player?
DRich
DRich
January 1st, 2024 at 5:19:22 PM permalink

link to original post

Tennessee and over 34.5 hit no thanks to Iowa. If the offensive coordinator is not fired by tonight how can Iowa recruit an offensive player?
link to original post

He was fired four games ago but they let him coach until the end of the season. He is the Head Coaches son.
DRich
DRich
January 1st, 2024 at 5:44:28 PM permalink
That was a great semi-final game.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 1st, 2024 at 5:46:53 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I bet they'd still be able to recruit TE's who care about getting a shot at the NFL. 12 TE's drafted never more than a 4 year gap in 2000's.
DRich
DRich
January 1st, 2024 at 6:52:02 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

I bet they'd still be able to recruit TE's who care about getting a shot at the NFL. 12 TE's drafted never more than a 4 year gap in 2000's.
link to original post

And offensive lineman.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 1st, 2024 at 6:57:56 PM permalink
I am an SEC fan but I'm glad to see a college football final without an SEC team. I think its good for college football.

That was a great semi-final game. Both Michigan and Bama deserved to be there.

And, its always great to see Nick Saban lose. Maybe he'll retire to his $17M Florida mansion.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 2nd, 2024 at 4:09:10 AM permalink
the Washington Huskies are in the final largely thanks to Michael Penix Jr. who threw for 430 yards as they beat Texas

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 2, 2024
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 2nd, 2024 at 8:26:03 AM permalink

the Washington Huskies are in the final largely thanks to Michael Penix Jr. who threw for 430 yards as they beat Texas

link to original post

He will be next Patriots QB. He looked like a seasoned pro. Plus I’d think whoever is the OC for Washington could get a pro OC offer. Plays seemed very creative. I will be rooting for them over cheating Michigan.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
lilredrooster
January 2nd, 2024 at 7:22:58 PM permalink
Ja got Wembanyama pretty bad......

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 3rd, 2024 at 1:17:17 PM permalink
Tom Chambers awesome dunk on Mark Jackson from about 34 years ago
he almost jumped completely over the top of Jackson
he put his knee on Jackson's shoulder and went up even higher
he had to duck so he wouldn't hit his head on the rim________________________:)

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 3, 2024
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 7th, 2024 at 4:19:39 PM permalink
LeBron, at age 39, is on pace for his 20th consecutive All-NBA season, no other player in NBA history has more than 15 selections (Kareem, Duncan, Kobe.) The lonevity of excellence is incredible.

DRich
DRich
January 7th, 2024 at 5:01:14 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

LeBron, at age 39, is on pace for his 20th consecutive All-NBA season, no other player in NBA history has more than 15 selections (Kareem, Duncan, Kobe.) The lonevity of excellence is incredible.

I think the fact that he is averaging 25 points per game at age 39 is incredible. I don't think anyone has ever been even close to that.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 7th, 2024 at 5:21:59 PM permalink
I can't believe he is 39. I remember the day he was ruled ineligible to play his senior year because he accepted a few sweatshirts from a company.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
January 7th, 2024 at 6:24:27 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I can't believe he is 39. I remember the day he was ruled ineligible to play his senior year because he accepted a few sweatshirts from a company.
link to original post

There are not a lot of child prodigy athletes that live up to the hype. Obviously, he has far exceeded it and is arguably one of the best ever. The only other recent one that I remember is probably Bryce Harper who was on Sports Illustrated cover at 16 and is now an eight time MLB All-Star. I will not be shocked if Connor Bedard becomes one.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 8th, 2024 at 12:53:34 PM permalink
I'm not telling you he's better than Jordan. However, having seen both of their careers... LeBron's and the Cavs comeback in the 2016 NBA Finals down 3-1 against the regular season wins record (73-9) Warriors is the most dominant 3 game individual stretch I've personally ever seen someone play. Monster blocks, shooting and dunks, passing, just exerted his will and dominance over one of the best teams ever, comeback starts about 2:30.

DRich
DRich
January 8th, 2024 at 3:06:50 PM permalink

link to original post

He will be next Patriots QB. He looked like a seasoned pro. Plus I’d think whoever is the OC for Washington could get a pro OC offer. Plays seemed very creative. I will be rooting for them over cheating Michigan.
link to original post

I would not be surprised if the Patriots draft Derek Maye as their next QB.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 8th, 2024 at 4:51:03 PM permalink
Heard or read that if you don’t count LeBrons first DOZEN or so years, and only look at what he’s done since turning 30, he has a better resume than a few actual hall of famers.

He is 39. Still scores. Assists. Rebounds. Blocks. Steals. All at an elite level. He’s an elite Diva as well.
DRich
DRich
January 11th, 2024 at 5:46:15 AM permalink
How long until Patriots announce Vrabel as new coach?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 11th, 2024 at 5:52:56 AM permalink

link to original post

They now have to fake interview two Black coaches before they can make the announcement. It’s the rule.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 11th, 2024 at 5:56:45 AM permalink

link to original post

They now have to fake interview two Black coaches before they can make the announcement. It’s the rule.
link to original post

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those interviewees gets the job. They seem very high on Mayo.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 11th, 2024 at 6:00:31 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those interviewees gets the job. They seem very high on Mayo.
link to original post

If they haven’t already decided on Vrabel, then they aren’t ‘fake’ interviews. I was poking fun at the idiotic rule requiring specific numbers of Black interviewees for specific job titles.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 12th, 2024 at 5:52:43 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

This aged pretty well actually. And that was very fast.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/patriots-hire-jerod-mayo-next-head-coach-day-after-parting-ways-with-bill-belichick-report-says/4IH4MTX7J5DQLCCDA67H5IA5PY/?outputType=amp
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 14th, 2024 at 3:20:43 PM permalink
historical stuff -
before 1974 the NFL goalposts were at the goal line
lots of crashes
absolutely brutal

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 17th, 2024 at 3:31:12 PM permalink
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Soopoo is somewhere in this video. Might be the guy jumping off the pickup truck around 1:30'

billryan
billryan
January 18th, 2024 at 5:59:17 PM permalink
A Tight End transferring to Miami for the fall will be playing his ninth season of NCAA football and has asked for another additional year. Originally considered part of the Class of 2016, he played for the University of Oregon and earned both a graduate degree and his Masters.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 19th, 2024 at 9:39:39 AM permalink

A Tight End transferring to Miami for the fall will be playing his ninth season of NCAA football and has asked for another additional year. Originally considered part of the Class of 2016, he played for the University of Oregon and earned both a graduate degree and his Masters.
link to original post

How is that possible? Isn’t eligibility limited to 4 years?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 19th, 2024 at 11:20:24 AM permalink
Redshirt, medical redshirt, extra year of eligibility for COVID, and sitting out a year under previous transfer rules gets to 8th year without anything too crazy.

A couple seasons ago they were interviewing a BYU wide receiver who had both redshirts, a Covid year, and a two year mission during the spring game and he joked he wasn’t leaving school until he could collect social security.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 20th, 2024 at 2:47:16 AM permalink
:"Sports Illustrated" lays off almost entire staff after license to publish revoked for missing a royalty payment.

Can't find any kind of statement on plans going forward, but it looks like a shutdown layoff. That is like missing your mortgage payment. Probably goes to online only.
billryan
billryan
January 20th, 2024 at 6:41:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

:"Sports Illustrated" lays off almost entire staff after license to publish revoked for missing a royalty payment.

Can't find any kind of statement on plans going forward, but it looks like a shutdown layoff. That is like missing your mortgage payment. Probably goes to online only.
link to original post

It's a lot worse than missing a mortgage payment. A bank won't call in your loan for one missed payment. This is like falling a few payments behind to a loan shark. It could be fatal. The question is will anyone care if the coma patient recovers or not? SI has become pretty irrelevant, except for the annual swimsuit issue.
DRich
DRich
January 20th, 2024 at 7:37:18 AM permalink

link to original post

It's a lot worse than missing a mortgage payment. A bank won't call in your loan for one missed payment. This is like falling a few payments behind to a loan shark. It could be fatal. The question is will anyone care if the coma patient recovers or not? SI has become pretty irrelevant, except for the annual swimsuit issue.
link to original post

You won't find a much bigger sports fan than I am, I haven't seen a Sports Illustrated magazine in 20 years. I think ESPN killed Sports Illustrated.
billryan
billryan
January 20th, 2024 at 7:46:33 AM permalink
In 7th grade, we had a grade-wide fundraising competition boys vs girls for the Society of the Propagation of the Faith. The boys won, and I was one of the top five fundraisers and we each got a one-year subscription to our choice of Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News, or a few others. My first choice was National Geographic but that wasn't an option. I went with the Sporting News and ended up subscribing for about ten years.
In the 1970s, the swimsuit "issue" might have had a four to six-page spread. It's amazing how it grew over the years and became the biggest issue of the year.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 20th, 2024 at 9:19:45 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Was it true or just a rumor they were going to put Martha Stewart on the cover of the swimsuit issue? If true they deserved to go out of business.

Magazines cut a lot of content out the past 20 years and are paying the price. Motor Trend is going down to quarterly and I can see why. Just no content compared to years back. I am guessing SI was the same way.
billryan
billryan
January 20th, 2024 at 9:57:10 AM permalink
SSI has been something I read in Doctors' and Dentists' waiting rooms for the last thirty years, and they are usually a few months old. I rarely fly these days so I don't even browse newsstands while killing time.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 21st, 2024 at 3:27:00 PM permalink

the Lions who will play the 9ers for the NFC Championship next are the only franchise operational for the entire Super Bowl period that have never appeared in a Super Bowl

the Lions won 4 NFL Championship games between 1935 and 1957

Following the 1957 Championship they didn't win a playoff game until 1991 - 34 years

they didn't win another playoff game until they beat the Rams last week - 33 years

DRich
DRich
January 21st, 2024 at 3:39:30 PM permalink

the Lions who will play the 9ers for the NFC Championship next are the only franchise operational for the entire Super Bowl period that have never appeared in a Super Bowl

the Lions won 4 NFL Championship games between 1935 and 1957

Following the 1957 Championship they didn't win a playoff game until 1991 - 34 years

they didn't win another playoff game until they beat the Rams last week - 33 years

link to original post

I would have guessed the line would be 49er's -8.5 but Hard Rock has it as -6.5. I will be making a small bet on 49er's but will be rooting for the Lions.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 25th, 2024 at 6:24:03 AM permalink

Wembanyama: 21 points, 20 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks.

That kid will never be able to make it in the NBA
link to original post

here is a really nice highlight film
totally unreal
they're now calling him "an alien"
in addition to 3s he goes behind the back, thru a players legs, all kinds of dunks
lots of blocks

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 25, 2024
billryan
billryan
January 25th, 2024 at 6:55:04 AM permalink
He had a few nice plays last night, but the guy he was defending scored seventy points.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 25th, 2024 at 7:01:29 AM permalink

Wembanyama: 21 points, 20 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks.

That kid will never be able to make it in the NBA
link to original post

here is a really nice highlight film
totally unreal
they're now calling him "an alien"
in addition to 3s he goes behind the back, thru a players legs, all kinds of dunks
lots of blocks

link to original post

Watched some yesterday. He seemed to be playing very well as his team continued to trail by more and more. How bad must the rest of the Spurs roster be if they can’t even compete?

He was going up against Chet Holmgren. Holmgren will also be a star but is not the focal point of his team. Wemby’s numbers were a little better than Chet’s last night, but Holmgren helped his team win. It’s not clear who the better player was…
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 25th, 2024 at 11:02:44 AM permalink
I am totally amazed at how much better the hoops players of today are (generally) compared to the players of back in the day

2 great players from back in the day who I believe would still be dominant in today's game are Wilt and Kareem - very, very few others imho

I also believe they need to raise the rim to 11 feet RIGHT NOW - there would still be dunks - just not as high over the rim
many players can now go up to the top of the backboard -
in 20 years there will no doubt be many who are able to go a foot above the top of the backboard

the genius James Naismith invented basketball in 1891

at that time there were prolly very few players who could jump up and touch the rim

billryan
billryan
January 25th, 2024 at 12:16:26 PM permalink
Until the 1970s, basketball was played almost entirely below the rim. It's a different game now. When I played in high school, if you were 6-4 and could hit a 12-15 jump shot, you were a star. There were no three-point shots, no defensive three seconds, no shot clock and teams rarely pressed or ran fast breaks. Dunking was illegal. I think it was a double technical, even in warmups. My coach wanted two passes before anyone looked to shoot. Taking a shot from three-point range would get you extra laps. If we were up by five in the third quarter, my coach wanted us to play keep away.
Today's pros and top college guys are much better athletes than twenty years ago but I enjoyed the old game more.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 26th, 2024 at 5:50:01 AM permalink
WWE Monday Night Raw is going to Netlix.

I realize that WWE is at most barely a "sport." But this is telling. NFL playoff game streaming only then this in the same month. Clearly you are going to have to subscribe to a stream in the future if you are going to be a major fan. IMHO the NFL is being shortsighted splitting things up among more and more channels. In the end less people will watch and care.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 26th, 2024 at 11:00:46 AM permalink

I realize that WWE is at most barely a "sport." But this is telling. NFL playoff game streaming only then this in the same month. Clearly you are going to have to subscribe to a stream in the future if you are going to be a major fan. IMHO the NFL is being shortsighted splitting things up among more and more channels. In the end less people will watch and care.
link to original post

Didn’t you say the same thing when they started ‘broadcasting’ on CABLE (ESPN)?
Did that turn out to be ‘shortsighted’ or a brilliant decision which pitted multiple suitors in a never ending bidding war?

How many ‘less people’ care since NFL started requiring you to pay for cable (ESPN, NFL Network) to see all the games? The answer is MORE people are interested.

Sorry to say, but I trust the NFL marketing people more than AZ!
billryan
billryan
January 26th, 2024 at 1:39:53 PM permalink
The NFL produces the highest-rated shows in the country. Something like 95 of the top 100 watched shows each year are NFL games.
The real question is why every NFL playoff game isn't a prime-time event. Playing a championship game on a Sunday afternoon is so 1965. Both games this Sunday deserve to be in prime time.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 26th, 2024 at 2:17:52 PM permalink

link to original post

Didn’t you say the same thing when they started ‘broadcasting’ on CABLE (ESPN)?
Did that turn out to be ‘shortsighted’ or a brilliant decision which pitted multiple suitors in a never ending bidding war?

How many ‘less people’ care since NFL started requiring you to pay for cable (ESPN, NFL Network) to see all the games? The answer is MORE people are interested.

Sorry to say, but I trust the NFL marketing people more than AZ!
link to original post

You heard me say something about ESPN in 1987?

The difference is most everyone had cable and ESPN. Local markets still had the game on over-the-air TV for years. It is only lately that you must have multiple services. Yeah, the locals still simulcast the Peacock feed. But no matter how you cut it far fewer people watched.

The model to look at IMHO is Howard Stern. What was his audience on radio vs. satellite? Yet that is not even totally comparable since when he went satellite he was then national vs. just the syndicate markets he was in. I have no idea if market by market stats are available, but my guess us he lost 90% of listeners.

The latest Peacock numbers would be telling, but not as telling as if it becomes a regular thing.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 26th, 2024 at 2:24:29 PM permalink

The NFL produces the highest-rated shows in the country. Something like 95 of the top 100 watched shows each year are NFL games.
The real question is why every NFL playoff game isn't a prime-time event. Playing a championship game on a Sunday afternoon is so 1965. Both games this Sunday deserve to be in prime time.
link to original post

Can't be done as they would compete. They have moved from 1:00 EST to 4:00 EST for the first one, which I personally hate as I hate waiting for the games to come on. Games on at `10:00/11:00 AM when I lived on AT* was the best, Jerry.

*AT here means "Arizona Time" which while not an actual thing actually sort of is as most of AZ does not observe daylight savings. A coworker almost started a fistfight over this once but that is another story.
billryan
billryan
January 26th, 2024 at 5:19:33 PM permalink
One game could have been on Saturday, the other on Sunday. The NFL originally played on Sundays because the players almost all had full-time jobs Monday to Friday. Those conditions changed.
  • Jump to: