6 votes (13.95%)
1 vote (2.32%)
1 vote (2.32%)

43 members have voted

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 200
August 3rd, 2020 at 2:28:45 PM permalink
ok, 2-parter. First just a general comment that baseball seems to be in real trouble with the Covid out breaks among numerous teams now. I think they though any outbreaks would be limited to a couple players here and there, not entire teams causing the number of cancelations. I don't know how much longer they can survive like this.

Second. I didn't really pay all that much attention when the NHL format was introduced. Near as I can tell teams #5 through #12 are doing a "play in" extra round to the playoffs. Ok, I get that.

But the teams #1 thru #4 are doing some sort of round robin just to play and stay fresh during the extra play in round. And this round robin will determine seedings 1 through 4. Is that correct? If that is the case, then the regular season meant nothing. A team like the Boston Bruins who had a great season finishing first could end up a 4 seed. ???

Although on the other hand, what does seed mean, without home ice advantage. ???
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
August 3rd, 2020 at 2:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Although on the other hand, what does seed mean, without home ice advantage. ???

In theory it means they get to play the easier schedule the lower their seed is.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
August 4th, 2020 at 3:19:09 AM permalink
the NBA is buzzing over rookie Ja Morant's spectacular dunks - he's only 6'3"
some of the best crazy ones are his missed dunks - I'm lovin' it

Kevin Love is 6'8"..........................(-:}

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/sports/basketball/ja-morant-grizzlies-dunks.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 4, 2020
𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵............. ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
August 4th, 2020 at 5:36:32 AM permalink
I hope he picked up a charge for that missed dunk! A "facefull of crotch" charge should be at least a Flagrant 1. ;)

Over to MLB... looking at the NL East standings as of today, the Marlins sit atop the division with their 2-1 (.667) record... and are a full game behind the 2nd place Braves who sit at 7-4 (.636)! Interesting times, indeed.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
August 4th, 2020 at 7:54:05 AM permalink
In 1981, Baltimore and Detroit had better records than the Yankees, but the Yankees made the playoffs and those teams didn't.
I think the same thing happened with the Reds.
kewlj
kewlj
August 5th, 2020 at 7:01:35 PM permalink
So the Raiders made it official, sending out an email to season ticket holders that there will be no fans at this years home games. I don't know if this is coming from the league, not announced yet, but I suspect the league and all teams will soon follow.
kewlj
kewlj
August 5th, 2020 at 7:32:14 PM permalink
So last week, I commented about how I hate MLB's new extra inning rule (runner starting on 2nd base). I am a bit of a traditionalist and just don't like changing the game. I hate college football's overtime format and the NHL overtime as well.

So today, resting at home, I watched the Phillies/Yankees double header with the new double header 7 innings rule. Anyone want to guess my feelings on that? lol yep, I hate it.

In baseball you have your starting pitchers, your middle relief guys and your late inning set up and closers. With 7 innings you completely eliminate the middle relief guys. Teams can go right from starters to set up guys and closers. It takes a segment of the game, middle relief away. That may be a teams strength or weakness. I just don't like changing the game like this. Anyone else?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
August 5th, 2020 at 9:45:04 PM permalink
This season is so fooked that I don't mind them experimenting with the rules. Just so they think carefully about keeping them next year or whenever things return to normal.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 65
August 5th, 2020 at 10:40:43 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

This season is so fooked that I don't mind them experimenting with the rules. Just so they think carefully about keeping them next year or whenever things return to normal.

I agree. In a regular season, 7-inning double headers would be an outrage, but this season has no ties to historical comparisons with regard to stats, etc. Itís like the strike season of Ď81 and others. So do what they can to get some games in. Or cancel it altogether if necessary.

At least 7 innings has some feeling of precedent from high school games.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
August 6th, 2020 at 4:33:47 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

At least 7 innings has some feeling of precedent from high school games.

And from the minors. Where I grew up, we has a single-A team. Single games were, of course, 9 innings, but all their doubleheaders were 7 innings.

I'm a traditionalist as well. Like others have said, I don't mind these rule changes for this season, but I don't think I'd like to see them when things get back to normal.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: