1 vote (2.63%)

38 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
July 27th, 2020 at 12:05:12 PM permalink
please delete
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 27, 2020
𝘈 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.... ᴴᵉʳᵐᵃⁿ ᴹᵉˡᵛⁱˡˡᵉ
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 171
July 27th, 2020 at 12:26:35 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

Really? Wow. At the old Vet, people took their shirts off inside all the time. Of course, that was 20 years ago, so my knowledge is dated. When did the Yankees start banning shirtlessness?

No idea. I just know I've seen ushers and security tell people to put their shirts on.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
July 27th, 2020 at 1:13:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

As of two weeks ago, there were dozens of NYPD officers with either lung scarring or blood clots who are or are going on long term disability. For anyone to say this might be affecting thirty people nationwide is beyond naive.

I'll use your post as a backdrop to answer all the misconceptions regarding my recent posts. I feel like you guys are like 'fake news' now! I wasn't referring to lung injury in my 'thirty' example. There are many rare examples (amputation needed, liver failure, stroke), but lung injury I think is the most common long term negative effect. I have posted many times about colleagues telling me about patients who have gotten through the crisis due to the 'magic' of ventilators, but whose lungs are shot and will need the ventilator for the rest of their sorry lives.

Kewlj, I am also in a 'high risk' group (age/diabetes) and do take personal precautions (mask mostly, but handwashing has increased 10 fold from before pandemic). When my governor allows me to eat out with precautions.... I do. I think you underestimate the importance of sports in America. It is a multibillion dollar business that supports so many more people than we can think of. And i think is also important to the quality of life of many more than you can count.

Reminding all.... my wife is a dentist... likely the absolute worst job to have with regards to being around aerosols from people's mouths. You could open up every store, every sporting event, every beach, and it likely is not a blip on the radar for my wife who (yes, gowned, masked, gloved) is in strangers mouths every day.

I think it was kewlj who asked 'if it was your grandson who died' or something like that.... sad true story....
At a 'party' last night, man who knew I was a Dr at a trauma hospital asks me about motorcycle accidents. Seemed out of place, but I told him that if society was just starting now... there is NO WAY motorcycles would be made legal. Kind of like cigarettes. He then told me that the reason he asked is he just went to a funeral of a young man (friend's son) who died in the motorcycle accident a few days ago, here in Buffalo. It's now over 5,000 deaths per year. EVERY one of the 100% avoidable by not riding motorcycles. And if it is 5,000 deaths per year I'll extrapolate that into 10,000 life diminishing results as well.
Why is riding a motorcycle legal? Because people ENJOY riding them! I can give you dozens of other similar examples. People are taking 'risks' by going to parties, having sex with new girlfriends, playing sports, because they enjoy those activities as well.

In summary.... i do not dismiss the seriousness of COVID-19. I was all aboard all the restrictions (I would have been way more restrictive than Cuomo, by the way) when the goal was to 'flatten the curve'. I am not so sure we are significantly decreasing the number of deaths as much as people want to believe, but rather spreading them out.

As stated numerous times, WHENEVER a governor decides to 'open it up' they will be inviting more deaths. It is just how many more deaths is acceptable to that state or community to avert the economic devastation, and that is a political discussion so I'll stop here.

Edit... sorry for this in 'general sports talk' thread. I thought I was responding in coronavirus math thread.
Last edited by: SOOPOO on Jul 27, 2020
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
July 27th, 2020 at 1:35:55 PM permalink
Back to general sports talk. There are certain sports where there just can't be 'exhibition' matches. MMA and boxing top the list. Either you are trying to knock your opponent out or you are not. hard to see anything 'in between'.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 78
July 27th, 2020 at 1:51:55 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

Really? Wow. At the old Vet, people took their shirts off inside all the time. Of course, that was 20 years ago, so my knowledge is dated. When did the Yankees start banning shirtlessness?

Interesting
This is how Green Bay fans psyche out the visiting team
It gets so so cold up there for games. Visiting players hate it
As they enter the stadium freezing their nuts off, Packer fans will be screaming at them shirtless yelling that they are wimps
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
July 27th, 2020 at 3:41:12 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

As they enter the stadium freezing their nuts off, Packer fans will be screaming at them shirtless yelling that they are wimps

I always wondered how many of those fans got sick and missed time at work
𝘈 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.... ᴴᵉʳᵐᵃⁿ ᴹᵉˡᵛⁱˡˡᵉ
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2020 at 4:51:05 PM permalink
I went to the Yankees website and it doesn't mention anything about being shirtless. Searching the site, I saw a chat feature so I asked if I can go shirtless at a Yankee game. The answer came back to the effect that they were very sorry I don't have a shirt but that there are many shops both inside and outside the stadium where I can buy licensed Yankee shirts.
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2020 at 4:57:36 PM permalink
For many years, there was a secret smoking area inside Giant Stadium. Jet fans are usually more rowdy than Giant fans and the catcalls from the illicit smokers caused complaints. When the chants of " show us your t--s" didn't stop, someone alerted the news and several film crews filmed the area at halftime next Jet game. It was pretty crude and when the giants played right after the stuff aired, there were a dozen State Troopers denying entrance to the area.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 198
July 28th, 2020 at 1:26:26 PM permalink
So the Marlins just suspended their season for the next 7 games. The first two games, yesterday and today were cancelled yesterday. The league was moving to cancel the Wed and Thursday games at Baltimore when the Washington Nationals announced that by a team vote they would not play at Florida this coming weekend. Players balking, just as I said they would.

MLB is done, they just done know it yet, or they probably know it, just haven't acted. They will probably wait until there is a second outbreak among another team, and then pull the plug on this experiment.

Next up NBA. Unlike baseball, the NBA is playing and living within a bubble (when players aren't sneaking out to strip clubs). lol . We will see if this bubble situation makes a difference. I don't think it will, but we'll see.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
July 28th, 2020 at 1:55:19 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Next up NBA. Unlike baseball, the NBA is playing and living within a bubble (when players aren't sneaking out to strip clubs). lol . We will see if this bubble situation makes a difference. I don't think it will, but we'll see.

I actually went down to WDW over the weekend. Long story, but it was a use-it-or-lose-it situation with a timeshare, and it was nice to get away for a day, but I digress. We drove by the Coronado Springs resort (where most of the NBA is staying), and every entrance to the resort was guarded by multiple police cars. Granted they were Disney cops, but they were stopping and inspecting every vehicle coming & going.

I think it is a situation where they will certainly know if someone has left the 'bubble,' and if the NBA sticks to their guns by forcing all players who have traveled outside the bubble to re-quarantine before returning to the team, there is a good chance the NBA will succeed.

Like you, I think baseball and possibly the NFL may be doomed, but I think the NBA will be fine. Too bad I'm not much of a hoops fan.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: