1 vote (2.43%)
1 vote (2.43%)

41 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
July 25th, 2020 at 6:47:06 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

...... the NCAA is going to HAVE to cancel college sports. I mean their concern is SUPPOSED to be for students first.

NCAA caring about "students first?"

Thanks! I needed that right before I call it a night!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 22
July 25th, 2020 at 6:59:25 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

NCAA caring about "students first?"

Thanks! I needed that right before I call it a night!

I have to tweak an old Jerry Tarkanian quote here,

"The NCAA is so upset about covid-19 that they put Cleveland State on three years probation."
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
July 25th, 2020 at 7:01:16 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

100% of MLB extra inning games with the new rule have ended in the 10th inning!

Already 3 for 3 for games ending in the 10th inning (with 2 games still going tonight).

That is not a bad thing.

How do they decide who starts on second? Next batter or manager's choice?

From MLB.com:
The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning will be the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter, or a pinch-runner. However, if the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter is the pitcher, the runner placed on second base may be the player preceding the pitcher in the batting order. This rule will not be in place for the postseason.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rule-changes-for-2020
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 199
July 25th, 2020 at 7:15:41 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Already 3 for 3 for games ending in the 10th inning (with 2 games still going tonight).

From MLB.com:
The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning will be the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter, or a pinch-runner. However, if the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter is the pitcher, the runner placed on second base may be the player preceding the pitcher in the batting order. This rule will not be in place for the postseason.

I wasn't aware of this rule change. I HATE IT!

I hate everything that goes away from the normal rules of the game. That would be the shootout in hockey. The stupid overtime rules in NCAA football, starting from the opponents 20 yard line. What is next? Settle a tied NBA game with a game of "horse" or foul shooting contest.

Some of these thing flat out take the defense out of the game and some teams build around their defense. It is penalizing teams that put a premium on defense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
July 25th, 2020 at 8:16:46 PM permalink
There’s an NHL team named The Kraken now. So how do you like dem apples?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 26th, 2020 at 3:40:37 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

From MLB.com:

Thanks. Not that it was life-changing, but I got curious how they would pick.

I wasn't aware of this rule change. I HATE IT!

I hate everything that goes away from the normal rules of the game. That would be the shootout in hockey. The stupid overtime rules in NCAA football, starting from the opponents 20 yard line. What is next? Settle a tied NBA game with a game of "horse" or foul shooting contest.

Some of these thing flat out take the defense out of the game and some teams build around their defense. It is penalizing teams that put a premium on defense.

The average American fan does not like defense, they just want to see scoring. Blame it on whatever you want, the masses have spoken. In football I prefer a good, defensive chess match to the shootouts we have today. The NFL, however, does not want the business of old guys like me. Add in that it cuts TV revenue and that is it, offense it is.
kewlj
kewlj
July 26th, 2020 at 8:35:54 AM permalink

The average American fan does not like defense, they just want to see scoring. Blame it on whatever you want, the masses have spoken. In football I prefer a good, defensive chess match to the shootouts we have today. The NFL, however, does not want the business of old guys like me. Add in that it cuts TV revenue and that is it, offense it is.

It used to be said that "defense wins championships". I guess those days are gone with teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, routinely falling behind by 20, 24, 28 points and still winning and usually still winning easily. Add in the new rules restricting and all but hamstringing defensive players and things aren't going to change anytime soon. I guess in the new NFL a defensive "genius" will be a defensive coach whose team only gives up 30 points per game on average. :(

Can you imagine how it must feel to be a defensive player in the NFL today. Defensive backs can't lay a finger on receivers, but receivers can push off no end. Guys rushing the QB, better hit him between the waist and shoulders, not below and not above and they have to make sure they hit that small target area with another 350 lb man draped all over them trying to block them.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 26th, 2020 at 8:50:13 AM permalink

It used to be said that "defense wins championships". I guess those days are gone with teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, routinely falling behind by 20, 24, 28 points and still winning and usually still winning easily. Add in the new rules restricting and all but hamstringing defensive players and things aren't going to change anytime soon. I guess in the new NFL a defensive "genius" will be a defensive coach whose team only gives up 30 points per game on average. :(

Can you imagine how it must feel to be a defensive player in the NFL today. Defensive backs can't lay a finger on receivers, but receivers can push off no end. Guys rushing the QB, better hit him between the waist and shoulders, not below and not above and they have to make sure they hit that small target area with another 350 lb man draped all over them trying to block them.

As a once Steeler fan it drives me nuts. Long passes used to be special because they were so rare. Not it is nothing. It is about both getting young people and women. Both groups want more scoring. I was tuned out for about 5 years and would still be if not for sports betting. Just not what it was.
kewlj
kewlj
July 26th, 2020 at 8:54:15 AM permalink
Further proof of why I believe this opening sports experiment is doomed to fail: Lou Williams of the Clippers, left the NBA "Bubble" complex in Orlando to attend a funeral on Thursday and ended up in a strip club in Atlanta Thursday night. lol.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 22
July 26th, 2020 at 9:57:30 AM permalink
Yeah, Lou does like to shoot it every chance he gets.

I don't know how you can seriously bet these sports. The entire Michigan State football team is in quarantine right now. Well, what exactly does that mean? They sit around and play video games? They practice? They left weights and watch tape? They take three weeks off as a group? "In quarantine" could mean completely different things to different teams because it's the schools, not the NCAA, deciding what "in quarantine" is.

Now how could you possibly wager a cent on Michigan State?

Sports right now is all anomalous, silly stuff. Kiss every trend out the windows, of course (not that I'm a trendsvestite). The only people who should be betting at all are the team doctors.

You know, I almost launched a future on the Nationals at 25-1 to win the World Series, just because the only other defender I've seen at odds that long was Miami after they stripped the team. But the day of the first game, the Nationals' best bat tests positive, and now Strasburg is hurt, only they decided to keep it under wraps until the day he was supposed to pitch. So glad I didn't do anything with that. More power to you if you're betting anything, but I'll sit tight.

I wonder what the hell "in quarantine" looks like in Boise, Idaho? I always felt like Boise was kind of the definition of "in quarantine."
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."

• Jump to: