9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 21st, 2023 at 11:07:05 AM permalink
They could try it in the three-on-three leagues.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 21st, 2023 at 11:16:19 AM permalink
Did anyone watch the XFL?

San Antonio was up 15-3 with 1:30 left. They lost 18-15. How?

TD makes it 15-9

A 3-point (!) conversion (from the 10) makes it 15-12.

Convert a 4th & 15 instead of an onside kick to get the ball back

Another TD makes it 18-15
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
February 21st, 2023 at 11:33:09 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO[/q

Quote: lilredrooster

they really need to raise the rim to 11 feet right now - and they're crazy not to imho

If you want height and strength to matter MORE than skill then raise the rim. The lower the field goal percentage the more important rebounding becomes.
link to original post

there is some truth to that but as Bill indicated that can be offset with a 4 point play - which will increase the importance of outside shooters

when they shoot from farther out - the missed shots will rebound farther out - and will increase the value of quickness and anticipation

and it is less important than the fact that - to me anyway - the game is beginning to look ridiculous with the rim at 10 feet

and again - not just thinking about now - think how much more ridiculous it will look in 20 years

the inside players are shooting from way over the rim - shooting the ball downward

it looks like they're playing on a miniature court

the game was invented and designed by the genius James Naismith in the 1800s - and he designed it for the players to be playing the game well below the rim - and that is the best way for the game to be played

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
February 21st, 2023 at 1:48:32 PM permalink
Concerned about George Mikan's domination, the NBA tried a one-game experiment with 12 foot rims in 1954. I couldn't find much about it as the NBA seems to have buried the information.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 21st, 2023 at 2:05:00 PM permalink

basketball - modern style

DRich
DRich
February 21st, 2023 at 3:22:40 PM permalink
Here is the story of the 12 foot basketball game.

https://stewthornley.net/mplslakers_12foot.html
billryan
billryan
February 21st, 2023 at 3:39:34 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Here is the story of the 12 foot basketball game.

https://stewthornley.net/mplslakers_12foot.html
link to original post

Thanks.
I like the free throw idea. It would certainly speed up the game and make it more interesting.
You hold off on foul shots until the end of the quarter. If the Knicks are getting four shots and the Nets are getting seven, the result is the Nets get three shots. Each player on the floor at the end of the quarter shoots in rotation.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 25th, 2023 at 2:01:01 AM permalink

stories are going around the NFL that Russell Wilson demanded the firing of Pete Carroll and the GM before losing that battle and leaving the Seahawks
I've never heard anything like that before
Wilson denies it
Wilson underwhlemed in Denver as they went 5-12
he had his own support staff there and all kinds of special privileges

https://www.nfl.com/news/russell-wilson-refutes-report-he-asked-seahawks-to-fire-coach-pete-caroll-gm-joh

DRich
DRich
February 25th, 2023 at 4:19:23 AM permalink

If I am not mistaken, Russell Wilson is now the highest paid player in the NFL.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 25th, 2023 at 4:57:52 AM permalink

If I am not mistaken, Russell Wilson is now the highest paid player in the NFL.
link to original post

Google is your friend. He makes less per year than Aaron Rodgers. And less guaranteed money than Watson or Murray. But it is certainly a terrible contract for the Broncos. These contracts paying QBs like you hope them to be are just silly. Mahomes proved he was worth the big money before he got the big contract. Wilson proved he was worth less than Mahomes but got more than Mahomes. Same with Murray. And for sure Watson. Etc….
DRich
DRich
February 25th, 2023 at 3:33:25 PM permalink
Did anyone watch the Iowa vs Mich St today? Iowa down 13 with 1:30 left and wins the game. Sadly, I did not see it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 25th, 2023 at 6:22:35 PM permalink

Did anyone watch the Iowa vs Mich St today? Iowa down 13 with 1:30 left and wins the game. Sadly, I did not see it.
link to original post

Impressive comeback. I wonder how many free throws Mich St missed in that minute and a half? I didn’t see nor hear about it but would put over/under at 6.5.

This will NOT be good for college basketball. The number of games extended by 15-20 minutes due to repetitive fouling will likely increase.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 25th, 2023 at 8:05:35 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

Impressive comeback. I wonder how many free throws Mich St missed in that minute and a half? I didn’t see nor hear about it but would put over/under at 6.5.

This will NOT be good for college basketball. The number of games extended by 15-20 minutes due to repetitive fouling will likely increase.
link to original post

I can't believe it changes that much. Really can't get much worse from that perspective.

College basketball, I'm more than fatigued of the amount of coverage of Brandon Miller and the Alabama program situation at the moment. The kid looks like a Paul George clone, think he was trending towards being the #3 overall pick prior to this awful situation he got himself into. I'm surprised he WANTS to continue playing right now, from a talent perspective he can't improve stock that much, and any legal or character concerns now probably aren't going to be answered there.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 26th, 2023 at 4:43:59 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

I can't believe it changes that much. Really can't get much worse from that perspective.

College basketball, I'm more than fatigued of the amount of coverage of Brandon Miller and the Alabama program situation at the moment. The kid looks like a Paul George clone, think he was trending towards being the #3 overall pick prior to this awful situation he got himself into. I'm surprised he WANTS to continue playing right now, from a talent perspective he can't improve stock that much, and any legal or character concerns now probably aren't going to be answered there.
link to original post

His likely 7 figure NIL money might be in some way tied to him playing versus sitting out. He might pick up the Remington endorsement.

I agree with Alabama’s decision to let him play. The police I’m sure have investigated him up the wazoo and apparently haven’t found a crime. Why ban him from an after school activity?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
February 26th, 2023 at 4:50:53 AM permalink
One college basketball game that I watched recently, with 1:30 to go on the game clock required 17 minutes to complete the game. The coaches kept calling time outs, the refs had to review a couple of plays, and of course there were the inevitable fouls with <30 seconds to go. It was excruciatingly bad television, and for people who wanted to view the first 9 minutes of the next scheduled game it was very frustrating.

Teams are granted 5 time outs per half and in the 2nd half the coaches stockpile them until the end of the game -in this particular game the two coaches took 8 or 9 timeouts in the last 90 seconds.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
February 26th, 2023 at 5:59:38 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It appears that in the last 1:30 of the second half Mich St made 9 free throws and only missed two.
billryan
billryan
February 26th, 2023 at 6:58:04 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

His likely 7 figure NIL money might be in some way tied to him playing versus sitting out. He might pick up the Remington endorsement.

I agree with Alabama’s decision to let him play. The police I’m sure have investigated him up the wazoo and apparently haven’t found a crime. Why ban him from an after school activity?
link to original post

I wouldn't want him representing my school or state. He knowingly brought a gun to a person he should have known was drinking. Just having the gun on school grounds should be cause for expulsion.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
February 26th, 2023 at 7:21:10 AM permalink

link to original post

First of all, different standards apply to the star player who has led Alabama to the #1 rating. Just last week an Alabama wide receiver was arrested on charges of felony domestic abuse and arraigned by a judge who found adequate cause for the arrest. A couple of days later, the DA's office announced that they were "declining to prosecute this case" and gave no further details. These two contradictory statements are completely true:
1. None of us know what has happened.
2. We all know what has happened.

Back to Brendon Miller. Brendon Miller brought a loaded handgun to his friend Darius Miles at a nightclub, who handed it to a third person who immediately discharged it 8 times into car. One of the bullets damaged the windshield of the car Brendon Miller was driving (whose car was it? No one is disclosing that.) Brendon Miller, a key witness, then fled the scene of the murder. No reports by the Univ of Alabama that he has asked for grief therapists to help him deal with what he witnessed.

Did Brendon Miller have a hand carry permit to be carrying a loaded gun? No Alabama police officer will answer that question.

U of Alabama covered up the fact that Brendon Miller was involved in this incident. A third Alabama basketball player was also at the scene and witnessed the murder. No one has disclosed what that player was doing there. Perhaps he was bringing a bazooka to the scene?

Whether or not Bama law enforcement chooses to prosecute Brendon Miller, I have heard enough to know that I don't like the way that he has behaved. IMO, Brendon Miller is another in a long line of elite athletes who are violent scumbags. I will boycott watching any Alabama basketball game that he is involved in, and any such pro game in the future. I am voting my pocketbook.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
February 26th, 2023 at 7:52:41 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

First of all, different standards apply to the star player who has led Alabama to the #1 rating. Just last week an Alabama wide receiver was arrested on charges of felony domestic abuse and arraigned by a judge who found adequate cause for the arrest. A couple of days later, the DA's office announced that they were "declining to prosecute this case" and gave no further details. These two contradictory statements are completely true:

Back to Brendon Miller. Brendon Miller brought a loaded handgun to his friend Darius Miles at a nightclub, who handed it to a third person who immediately discharged it 8 times into car. One of the bullets damaged the windshield of the car Brendon Miller was driving (whose car was it? No one is disclosing that.) Brendon Miller, a key witness, then fled the scene of the murder. No reports by the Univ of Alabama that he has asked for grief therapists to help him deal with what he witnessed.

Did Brendon Miller have a hand carry permit to be carrying a loaded gun? No Alabama police officer will answer that question.

U of Alabama covered up the fact that Brendon Miller was involved in this incident. A third Alabama basketball player was also at the scene and witnessed the murder. No one has disclosed what that player was doing there. Perhaps he was bringing a bazooka to the scene?

Whether or not Bama law enforcement chooses to prosecute Brendon Miller, I have heard enough to know that I don't like the way that he has behaved. IMO, Brendon Miller is another in a long line of elite athletes who are violent scumbags. I will boycott watching any Alabama basketball game that he is involved in, and any such pro game in the future. I am voting my pocketbook.
link to original post

I have no personal knowledge of this incident, but Mr. Miller may very well face civil litigation down the road. Time will tell.

tuttigym
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 26th, 2023 at 9:06:37 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I wouldn't want him representing my school or state. He knowingly brought a gun to a person he should have known was drinking. Just having the gun on school grounds should be cause for expulsion.
link to original post

The statement that he KNEW he was bringing a gun isn’t accepted as fact and has been disputed by his attorney and the AD, likely why he hasn’t been charged as an accessory. Statements seem to indicate he knew Miles owned a gun, may not have been aware it was left in car as it was concealed in a hat. Text requesting the gun they claim he was en route to pick them up already and unaware of the request. Fair to say general public are not giving him the benefit of the doubt with his version, just seems to be too much smoke for no fire’

Also don’t believe there’s evidence beyond perhaps just assumption he did have it on campus afaik, the shooting took place near campus not on campus to my understanding.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Feb 26, 2023
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 26th, 2023 at 9:21:11 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I mean you don’t even know what his name and you are a rather intelligent guy, so I’d consider it rather unlikely you’d be watching in the first place unless they’re playing Tennessee.
billryan
billryan
February 26th, 2023 at 10:53:06 AM permalink
His friend texted him that he needed his"joint". The law evidently says he can't get in trouble for handing his friend a gun unless he knows the guy was going to shoot someone. The law is an ass.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 26th, 2023 at 11:08:37 AM permalink

His friend texted him that he needed his"joint". The law evidently says he can't get in trouble for handing his friend a gun unless he knows the guy was going to shoot someone. The law is an ass.
link to original post

Yes. He texted at X:38, when he was already supposed to be on the way picking them up, they claim he was driving and did not see the text message before the incident, he arrived X: 43 five minutes after the text.

NOT A SINGLE media outlet has reported anything saying he HANDED Miles the gun. Reported the gun was in the back seat concealed under clothing, Miles and his friend got in, Miles handed a hat to his friend and told him it was in there.

The part of it where his version becomes less believable is that it was stated that Miller and yet another teammate had their cars parked in a way where the victim’s vehicle was sort of blocked in. Seems they were at least anticipating a confrontation.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 28th, 2023 at 7:03:00 AM permalink
Damian Lillard put on an insane shooting display on his way to 71 points the other night, first season in nba history with multiple players with 70 point games. The one at two minutes where he takes a dribble at half court and pulls up in the middle of the logo, what are you supposed to do.

Incredibly Lillard is now third in NBA history in 60 point games (5) behind Wilt Chaimberlain, who has something insane like 70, and Kobe Bryant with 6.

billryan
billryan
February 28th, 2023 at 7:38:40 AM permalink
Wilt AVERAGED 50 points per game for a season. Imagine holding him to 45 points and considering the night a success.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 28th, 2023 at 8:33:16 AM permalink

Wilt AVERAGED 50 points per game for a season. Imagine holding him to 45 points and considering the night a success.
link to original post

. Wilt is why most GOAT guesses are just that, guesses. You could easily argue he is the GOAT. But the game has changed so much…. There are now a dozen players his size (or taller!) like Porzyngis who can bury a 3. Wilt would still be really valuable (Capella, Gobert) but I doubt he’d be a leading scorer today.
billryan
billryan
February 28th, 2023 at 8:57:22 AM permalink
On the other hand, a guy like Porzyngis might not have thrived in Wilts NBA. It was far more physical, and outside shooting wasn't as important as it was the same value as a layup.
Wilt was a world-class athlete who was an NCAA track champion.
Over two seasons where about 25% of his games were against Bill Russell and Nate Thurmond, he averaged 47 ppg.
Who, in today's NBA, could stop him?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 28th, 2023 at 11:16:23 AM permalink

Wilt was playing the game way, way, higher in the air than anybody in the NBA at that time except for Jabbar

that wouldn't be the case today - not saying he wouldn't be great - but he would not dominate anywhere near to that extent

he only had to go up against Jabbar during the last 3 years of his career

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 28th, 2023 at 11:39:42 AM permalink
Jabbar is the link between pretty much all the best maybe 7 all time players except LeBron. Russell player against Wilt then late Wilt vs early Kareem. Late Kareem played with or against Magic, Bird, Jordan etc.

Was never best vs best with Kareem though because Wilt had gained a lot of weight wasn’t at his peak while Kareem probably hadn’t reached his, MJ played against the last few years of Kareem when it was already Magic’s team, and MJ wasn’t peak yet either.

People have trouble comparing MJ and LeBron because LeBron doesn’t have that Kareem link played against none of those guys, best players LeBron really played against are Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Steph, Durant, if you want to throw anyone under 30 in that group (Giannis, Jokic, Luka).
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 28th, 2023 at 12:23:27 PM permalink

I believe Pat Ewing could have bothered Wilt quite a bit - no, he wouldn't have stopped him - but I don't believe Wilt would have had a fun night against him

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 28th, 2023 at 12:32:25 PM permalink

I believe Pat Ewing could have bothered Wilt quite a bit - no, he wouldn't have stopped him - but I don't believe Wilt would have had a fun night against him

link to original post

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 28th, 2023 at 1:13:54 PM permalink
yeah, that's one of the greatest in game dunks of all time

the '67 6ers with Wilt that finally beat the Celtics and won it all - they have my vote for the greatest team I've ever seen - of course, the skills are not equal to today - but I'm referring to the way they played together as a team - they went 68-13 - won 84% of their regular season games

Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham aka the Kangaroo Kid, Luke Jackson, Chet Walker - every single one of those guys was a great player

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 1st, 2023 at 4:34:34 AM permalink

my fave pic of Wilt when he was young - he gave us - his fans - an awful lot - we watched him in amazement

kinna feel sorry for the Centers who had to go up against him - they didn't have a prayer - it must have been humiliating

back in the day - the Centers - Wes Unseld of the Bullets was only 6'7", Wayne Embry of the Royals was just 6'8" as was Bob Ferry of the Pistons

Wilt played for the Harlem Globetrotters for a while

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 1, 2023
billryan
billryan
March 1st, 2023 at 7:55:58 AM permalink
One of my high school coaches was Al Oerter. Mr. Oerter was a four-time Olympic Gold Medalist who attended Kansas with Wilt. He told us about time when Wilt was practicing the high jump when a stray shot put wound up in the high jump area. According to Oerter, Wilt casually picked it up and threw it like a baseball back to them. They estimated he threw it some sixty feet on the fly, which was about Al's personal best at the time.
DRich
DRich
March 1st, 2023 at 8:49:38 AM permalink
"Antoine Davis nearing Pete Maravich's NCAA career scoring record as Detroit plays in Horizon League Tournament"

Antoine Davis may break a record held since 1970 by Pete Maravich for scoring the most points ever in college basketball. The ironic part is it has taken Davis 5 years and Maravich did it in 3 years.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 1st, 2023 at 9:14:52 AM permalink
Pete Maravich and Wilt Chaimberlain were literally playing against plumbers and firemen.
billryan
billryan
March 1st, 2023 at 9:24:31 AM permalink

Pete Maravich and Wilt Chaimberlain were literally playing against plumbers and firemen.
link to original post

I remember when Bill Russell showed up to unclog our sink.
The NBA had eight or nine teams for much of Wilts's career. Wilt played against Bill Russel, Walt Bellamy, Nate Thurman, Jerry Lucas, and Willis Reed- all of whom were Hall of Famers. Later in his career, he played against Bill Lanier, Jabbar, Elvin Hayes, and Wes Unseld—some of the finest plumbers since Watergate.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 1st, 2023 at 10:51:35 AM permalink
You don’t need to tell me Bill. I was in Madison Square Garden the night a hobbled Willis Reed came out of the locker room to lead the Knicks to victory in game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 1st, 2023 at 12:35:01 PM permalink

the vid captures the full range of Wilt's talents - fallaways, dunks, finger rolls, rebounds, assists and blocked shots

I had all but forgotten about his fallaways - he shoots some from pretty far out there

there is commentary by Jerry West & Bill Russell - Russell talks about the night Wilt got 62 on him - he also had 55 rebounds one night against the Celts

at 5:34 begins the blocked shots portion - my fave part of it - he really swats them down - it's almost comical - at 6:14 he swats down a shot from Havlicek - he was like 5 feet away from the dude when he blocked it________________(~:\

factoid: in '67/'68 Wilt led the the league in total assists - the only Center ever to do that

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 1, 2023
DRich
DRich
March 1st, 2023 at 2:42:01 PM permalink
PGA Tour making some changes to be more like LIV tour. Some events now will not have any cuts. I don't like it, to me seeing who is going to make the cut is an interesting factor of the game.
billryan
billryan
March 1st, 2023 at 3:04:55 PM permalink
When the US Open was first held at Bethpage, I was lucky to gain VIP access on the second day. The tent's sponsor was heavily invested in Jim Furyk(sp?), and when he didn't make the cut, the air got thick and heavy very quickly. They didn't pay him not to make the cut.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 1st, 2023 at 6:26:01 PM permalink
The PGA tour is essentially having ‘major league’ events, called ‘designated events’. The rest of the events will essentially be ‘minor league’ events. Somewhere around the top 60 players will be exempt into the designated events. And success in the minor league events will get you access to the designated events. They expect somewhere between 10-20 players will move from major to minor each year.

This tournament that just concluded has essentially been made a minor league tournament. You have to be a big golf fan to recognize many of the players. Who wants to sponsor those second rate events?
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 6
March 1st, 2023 at 6:46:04 PM permalink

You don’t need to tell me Bill. I was in Madison Square Garden the night a hobbled Willis Reed came out of the locker room to lead the Knicks to victory in game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals.
link to original post

That's nothing. Al Bundy once scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 2nd, 2023 at 4:10:14 AM permalink

When the US Open was first held at Bethpage, I was lucky to gain VIP access on the second day. The tent's sponsor was heavily invested in Jim Furyk(sp?), and when he didn't make the cut, the air got thick and heavy very quickly. They didn't pay him not to make the cut.
link to original post

I have always wondered how much ROI these sponsors get from this kind of deal. It seems like most of it is being able to invite customers and clients to hang out at the event. Maybe get some free samples to the public? I was at an LPGA event once and got all kinds of samples of this and that, mostly grocery store items. But I cannot imagine thinking that some golfer is part of Team Nabisco and that influencing my buying.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 4th, 2023 at 1:29:31 AM permalink

"Antoine Davis nearing Pete Maravich's NCAA career scoring record as Detroit plays in Horizon League Tournament"

Antoine Davis may break a record held since 1970 by Pete Maravich for scoring the most points ever in college basketball. The ironic part is it has taken Davis 5 years and Maravich did it in 3 years.
link to original post

the night the Pistol broke Oscar Robertson's NCAA scoring record
comparing the Pistol in college to Oscar - it's a crush in Oscar's favor - which indicates how great Oscar was
the Pistol did average about 10 more p.p.g.
but the big O's field goal % was .535 to the Pistol's .438
O got about 9 more rebounds per game and about 2 more assists per game

Oscar was the only player in the NBA ever to average a triple double for an entire season until Russell Westbrook did it in 2017

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 4, 2023
DRich
DRich
March 5th, 2023 at 5:24:53 AM permalink
The good old days of baseball.

tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 5th, 2023 at 8:38:56 AM permalink
Anybody watch the NFL combine? gordon888 you may want to revisit your assessment of S. Bennett. According to the professionals commentary, he was a rock star.
Bennett 40 yd dash = 4.67: Mahomes 40 yd dash =4.80: Josh Allen 40 yd dash= 4.75
Bennett ball velocity = 59 MPH: Mahome = 60 mph: Allen = 62 mph: Drew Brees =52 mph: Average QB in NFL= 54mph

Bennett threw the ball easily 68 yds in the air on the deep routes hitting his receivers in stride 2 of three times.

His arm TALENT was remarkable. IMO C J Stroud was the overall best, but Bennett more than held his own. BTW he is over an inch and a half taller than Bryce Young.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 5th, 2023 at 9:37:31 AM permalink

one of the greatest YT NBA vids
Game 4 finals Celts vs. Lakers - 1984

Kareem elbows Bird in the head and they start jawing
it's broken up - Bird continues to crush - Kareem is frustrated and gets used up in several plays and fouls out
also in the vid - Bird butts Cooper into the stands
McHale clotheslines Rambis to the floor - Rambis gets up ready to fight but is restrained by other Lakers and helped up by Bird
Celts seal the win on an M.L. Carr steal and dunk - he was a much disliked player
Celts go on to win the Championship

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
March 6th, 2023 at 7:52:13 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Anybody watch the NFL combine? gordon888 you may want to revisit your assessment of S. Bennett. According to the professionals commentary, he was a rock star.
Bennett 40 yd dash = 4.67: Mahomes 40 yd dash =4.80: Josh Allen 40 yd dash= 4.75
Bennett ball velocity = 59 MPH: Mahome = 60 mph: Allen = 62 mph: Drew Brees =52 mph: Average QB in NFL= 54mph

Bennett threw the ball easily 68 yds in the air on the deep routes hitting his receivers in stride 2 of three times.

His arm TALENT was remarkable. IMO C J Stroud was the overall best, but Bennett more than held his own. BTW he is over an inch and a half taller than Bryce Young.

tuttigym
link to original post

I watched 3 days of the NFL combine, but not Saturday when the QBS were worked out. In all of the many NFL network's summaries of the QB workouts, I never heard Stetson Bennett's name mentioned once. Not once. It was mostly Anthony Richardson, CJ Stroud and Will Levis and that Hendon Hooker had a favorable medical assessment. But I have a low assessment of the quality of the NFL network's broadcasters -they seemed like they were sticking to the opinions of the draft class they had coming into the combine workouts.

Tuttigym, what round do you think Bennett will be drafted in?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 6th, 2023 at 8:11:16 AM permalink

Quote: tuttigym

tuttigym
link to original post

I watched 3 days of the NFL combine, but not Saturday when the QBS were worked out. In all of the many NFL network's summaries of the QB workouts, I never heard Stetson Bennett's name mentioned once. Not once. It was mostly Anthony Richardson, CJ Stroud and Will Levis and that Hendon Hooker had a favorable medical assessment. But I have a low assessment of the quality of the NFL network's broadcasters -they seemed like they were sticking to the opinions of the draft class they had coming into the combine workouts.

Tuttigym, what round do you think Bennett will be drafted in?
link to original post

I think Bennett goes in 4 or 5. Maybe a team that has a QB like Broncos. If Seahawks keep Smith maybe them.
Richardson appears to be the big combine winner. He seems like a slightly faster Josh Allen.

I like it when there is this ambiguity over the QBs. I’ve heard cases for Young, Stroud, Richardson and even Levis to be the best prospect. I think the Panthers end up with Richardson hoping for another Cam Newton.
  • Jump to: