lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 8116
Joined: May 8, 2015
Thanked by
BigSlick
September 15th, 2026 at 4:26:34 AM permalink
.
HBO is developing a movie based on the life of advantage player Gina Fiore who beat casinos for millions at blackjack


https://www.casino.org/news/hbo-developing-casino-drama-advantage-player-starring-riley-keough/


.
the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7948
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 15th, 2026 at 4:51:39 AM permalink
Thread split from Misc Discussion, since I have a hunch that this topic will generate a fair few posts.
May the cards fall in your favor.
findingEV
findingEV
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 41
Joined: Apr 2, 2025
September 15th, 2026 at 4:58:11 AM permalink
This coincides with her book release on October 27th: https://www.amazon.com/Advantage-Player-Blackjack-Backrooms-Beginnings-ebook/dp/B0GK5LWSQ5
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 733
  • Posts: 5093
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
September 15th, 2026 at 8:13:46 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Thread split from Misc Discussion, since I have a hunch that this topic will generate a fair few posts.
link to original post


What makes her AP skills stand out such that hbo took notice?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7948
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 15th, 2026 at 9:37:28 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Quote: Dieter

Thread split from Misc Discussion, since I have a hunch that this topic will generate a fair few posts.
link to original post


What makes her AP skills stand out such that hbo took notice?
link to original post



Based on the numerous interviews I've heard, it promises to be an engaging book. I understand the series will be based on the book.

I also understand that she will be consulting on the show, to get the details right - the stupid stuff that dramatic reenactments often get wrong about AP, like "do the cards on the table make sense for the story?"

Even if you omit the AP antics, the court cases alone should be fascinating.

As for her skills, I can only guess. The one and only time I believe I encountered her, the play was interrupted and I was chased away before I could glimpse what was up.
May the cards fall in your favor.
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1243
Joined: May 14, 2021
September 15th, 2026 at 10:03:20 AM permalink
I volunteer to be an actor in these HBO movies.
GrahamThorp
GrahamThorp
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 63
Joined: Jun 2, 2026
Thanked by
blackjacklad
September 15th, 2026 at 10:08:57 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter


What makes her AP skills stand out such that hbo took notice?



I signed up to her paid substack, and gave it a pass the next month.

Her mathematical skills are, to put it mildly, limited. She can memorize charts other people created, that's it. I doubt she really understands anything about the games she plays beyond that and she doesn't have to. Her explanation of technique is often way off-base, for example she states height doesn't matter for hole-card play. This is kinda bs, taller hole-carders exist but you are at a huge disadvantage if you are over 6ft relative to a borderline dwarf like James Grosjean, you probably won't get even half as many opportunities. I suspect she says stuff like this because she doesn't want people to stop giving her substack money, and she's very greedy ($600+ to be a "founder" member). If you tell people how niche and demographically specific advantage play is you shrink your market smaller than your typical midget LVHCM member.

That said, her understanding of casino comportment is pretty good as is her use of psychological manipulation.

Like a lot of crossroaders you can learn more from the methods she uses to sell to you than what she's actually selling.

I suspect any drama will be very loosely based on the actuality of her life, she's not really that interesting beyond the basic premise of women card player which would get old in a heartbeat. If you've seen the mentalist you'll know what I mean, they ran out of mentalism tricks to do pretty fast and resorted to formulaic detective stuff and romantic sub-plots real quick.
Stuff like "I had to sit in this old guy's piss to play a great game" is an interesting anecdote to gamblers, to normal humans it makes no sense and just sounds like moral degeneracy.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 733
  • Posts: 5093
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
September 15th, 2026 at 10:44:50 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter


Even if you omit the AP antics, the court cases alone should be fascinating.

As for her skills, I can only guess. The one and only time I believe I encountered her, the play was interrupted and I was chased away before I could glimpse what was up.
link to original post


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden_v._Fiore

Interesting.. Why didn't she sue in Georgia?
Nevada had nothing to do with this, besides her living there.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7948
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 15th, 2026 at 10:47:55 AM permalink
Quote: GrahamThorp


Her mathematical skills are, to put it mildly, limited. She can memorize charts other people created, that's it. I doubt she really understands anything about the games she plays beyond that and she doesn't have to.
link to original post



I disagree with exactly none of that.

That said, an advantage play consists of three components. If any are missing, you don't have a play. Math is one, bankroll is another, and execution is the third.

Then again, I liked Molly's Game well enough, and there really wasn't a new play in there.
May the cards fall in your favor.
GrahamThorp
GrahamThorp
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 63
Joined: Jun 2, 2026
September 15th, 2026 at 10:58:39 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: GrahamThorp


Her mathematical skills are, to put it mildly, limited. She can memorize charts other people created, that's it. I doubt she really understands anything about the games she plays beyond that and she doesn't have to.
link to original post



I disagree with exactly none of that.

That said, an advantage play consists of three components. If any are missing, you don't have a play. Math is one, bankroll is another, and execution is the third.

Then again, I liked Molly's Game well enough, and there really wasn't a new play in there.
link to original post



What I meant by limited mathematical skills is that she demonstrated zero interest in the mathematics of games.

She learnt or was told that if she followed the strategy in a book by someone who seemed respectable it would probably work. That's what most people do, it is not really a criticism of her as such. An AP can get by doing that. It doesn't contradict what you have written above since the math was done...just by someone else.

It is somewhat problematic if you are selling an ap substack since you can't really innovate anything and all your strategy advice comes from secondary sources. Her advice on getting reads was better and may be worth it to some, but she kinda ruined it for me by implying you could have simultaneous careers in pro basketball and hole-carding, that's just dumb.
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2242
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 15th, 2026 at 11:14:55 AM permalink
I'd be curious to find out which casinos hire security guards so unfathomably stupid as to backroom a woman. Especially one who is an AP, who are morally flexible when it comes to money, and are usually not doing or holding anything illegal that can be used as a negotiating chip. ("We'll drop the cheating charges if you drop the skin charges.") All she has to do is make a claim and those guys are in for a miserable experience, and depending on the jurisdiction they may be treated as guilty until proven innocent. Their employer will throw them under the bus too, on advice of counsel.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7948
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
rainmanAutomaticMonkey
September 15th, 2026 at 11:58:42 AM permalink
Quote: GrahamThorp


What I meant by limited mathematical skills is that she demonstrated zero interest in the mathematics of games.
link to original post



(snip!)

The person getting the money down doesn't need to be the person figuring out the play. I know plenty of people who see something intriguing and call their math guy to crunch numbers.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 2453
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
September 15th, 2026 at 5:32:33 PM permalink
Quote: GrahamThorp

Quote: Dieter


What makes her AP skills stand out such that hbo took notice?



I signed up to her paid substack, and gave it a pass the next month.

Her mathematical skills are, to put it mildly, limited. She can memorize charts other people created, that's it. I doubt she really understands anything about the games she plays beyond that and she doesn't have to. Her explanation of technique is often way off-base, for example she states height doesn't matter for hole-card play. This is kinda bs, taller hole-carders exist but you are at a huge disadvantage if you are over 6ft relative to a borderline dwarf like James Grosjean, you probably won't get even half as many opportunities. I suspect she says stuff like this because she doesn't want people to stop giving her substack money, and she's very greedy ($600+ to be a "founder" member). If you tell people how niche and demographically specific advantage play is you shrink your market smaller than your typical midget LVHCM member.

That said, her understanding of casino comportment is pretty good as is her use of psychological manipulation.

Like a lot of crossroaders you can learn more from the methods she uses to sell to you than what she's actually selling.

I suspect any drama will be very loosely based on the actuality of her life, she's not really that interesting beyond the basic premise of women card player which would get old in a heartbeat. If you've seen the mentalist you'll know what I mean, they ran out of mentalism tricks to do pretty fast and resorted to formulaic detective stuff and romantic sub-plots real quick.
Stuff like "I had to sit in this old guy's piss to play a great game" is an interesting anecdote to gamblers, to normal humans it makes no sense and just sounds like moral degeneracy.
link to original post

Grahm while it’s true being short is an advantage, I know more than a handful who are 6ft or taller and one who is around 6’5” who was a very successful hole carder.
Happy days are here again
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 733
  • Posts: 5093
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
September 16th, 2026 at 12:27:38 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Grahm while it’s true being short is an advantage, I know more than a handful who are 6ft or taller and one who is around 6’5” who was a very successful hole carder.
link to original post


I'm under 6' tall and have NEVER seen a hole card opportunity in uth in the years i've been playing. (i dont play bj)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 2453
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
Thanked by
100xOdds
September 16th, 2026 at 1:51:59 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Quote: Hunterhill

Grahm while it’s true being short is an advantage, I know more than a handful who are 6ft or taller and one who is around 6’5” who was a very successful hole carder.
link to original post


I'm under 6' tall and have NEVER seen a hole card opportunity in uth in the years i've been playing. (i dont play bj)
link to original post

No offense but you don’t know what you’re looking for. I see opportunities frequently in Uth in multiple casinos. I am over 6ft
Happy days are here again
GrahamThorp
GrahamThorp
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 63
Joined: Jun 2, 2026
September 16th, 2026 at 2:24:46 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Grahm while it’s true being short is an advantage, I know more than a handful who are 6ft or taller and one who is around 6’5” who was a very successful hole carder.
link to original post



Yeah I agree and I covered that in the post you quoted "This is kinda bs, taller hole-carders exist but you are at a huge disadvantage if you are over 6ft".

But the implication of what Fiore is saying is that it makes no difference, which just isn't true.

Essentially there is a mathematical formula between the depth of your eyeline and the number of visible reads you get. For someone at or below the level of the table itself depending on how you define these things it could literally be over 60%. You don't even need to hole-card, you can read the undercard on the stacks during the shuffle and spread to multiple hands during the crossover segment if its an ace.

There's a long history of people using often legally dubious methods to lower their eyeline, rolling up in a wheelchair, the drunk slouching, Taft's "belly-telly" etc. The more dubious schemes could potentially get you jail time: that's how much people were willing to risk just to be shorter.

Tall players certainly have a role in an ap team using physical methods to gain information. For some methods of reading the deck height actually helps. But to imply that there isn't a premium to being shorter is disingenuous.
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1243
Joined: May 14, 2021
September 16th, 2026 at 3:36:07 AM permalink
As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 2453
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
September 16th, 2026 at 5:38:33 AM permalink
Quote: aceside

As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
link to original post

You are correct. It’s like Bigfoot.
Happy days are here again
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1243
Joined: May 14, 2021
September 16th, 2026 at 6:57:31 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
link to original post

You are correct. It’s like Bigfoot.
link to original post


I’ve played many dozens of casinos. Man.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 2453
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
September 16th, 2026 at 10:53:28 AM permalink
Quote: aceside

Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
link to original post

You are correct. It’s like Bigfoot.
link to original post


I’ve played many dozens of casinos. Man.
link to original post

And yet you claim it doesn’t exist
Happy days are here again
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7948
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
Hunterhill
September 16th, 2026 at 10:58:00 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
link to original post

You are correct. It’s like Bigfoot.
link to original post


I’ve played many dozens of casinos. Man.
link to original post

And yet you claim it doesn’t exist
link to original post



I'm quite convinced it doesn't exist.
There was a woman I met who simply had amazing feminine intuition about cards, however. If she took insurance, I'd take insurance. If she tucked a 15, I'd tuck my stiff.
She couldn't possibly have seen a down card; her wheelchair barely let her see over the rail.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21486
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 11:00:58 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
link to original post

You are correct. It’s like Bigfoot.
link to original post


I’ve played many dozens of casinos. Man.
link to original post

And yet you claim it doesn’t exist
link to original post



I played with a self-proclaimed hole carder one afternoon, and he'd signal me when he saw it. I got the signal about six times over two hours, and he was spot on each time.
Knowing he was on to something, I studied the dealer as I'd never studied one and didn't see anything.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 2453
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
Thanked by
Dieter
September 16th, 2026 at 11:16:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: aceside

As far as I know, hole-carding does not exist in North America, both in UTH and Blackjack.
link to original post

You are correct. It’s like Bigfoot.
link to original post


I’ve played many dozens of casinos. Man.
link to original post

And yet you claim it doesn’t exist
link to original post



I played with a self-proclaimed hole carder one afternoon, and he'd signal me when he saw it. I got the signal about six times over two hours, and he was spot on each time.
Knowing he was on to something, I studied the dealer as I'd never studied one and didn't see anything.
link to original post

If you’re only getting it 6 times in two hours then the game isn’t good enough.
Happy days are here again
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21486
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 12:20:13 PM permalink
The guy told me the LVHCM had chased him off better games. It's also possible he saw many more, but only told me occasionally. I had a falling out with him after I saw him cheating. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but I saw him wandering Sams Town a few months later with a cast on his left hand.
I personally made more money exploiting promos than playing BJ and found my time was better spent hunting estate sales and second-hand shops.
I respect those with the ability and inclination to beat the house.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
  • Jump to: