Thread Rating:

Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
findingEVharrisPokerGrinderHunterhillCalderrxwine100xOddsRSCrystalMathbeachbumbabsDobrijChesterDogavianrandysmoothgrhblackjackladIndyJeffrey
September 15th, 2026 at 8:09:34 AM permalink
I just got a call that AxelWolf just died. The cause of death was medical in nature. I don't know much. He was seeking medical treatment for something. As I understand it, he was recovering well but then got a lung infection which went south quickly. Besides fighting for his health, he lost everything but the clothes on his back in a flood last December. He wrote about it in his last WoV post.

The real person behind AxelWolf was similar in personality as his online persona. However, the real Axel was more easy going and domesticated, most of the time. Nevertheless, he never backed down from a disagreement, much like here. He seemed to enjoy a good debate in the same way he was a pretty strong and sneaky chess player.

When we both lived in Las Vegas, I saw him often. It was usually for poker, pool or pickleball. Sometimes we just hung out at his place for no particular reason. It was at those times one could see the softer side of Axel -- introspective and a good listener.

Back here, Axel is in third place for number of posts. As a moderator, he could be a headache quite often. He was on the giving or receiving end of many complaints. However, his posts were of high quality and I consider him one of our most valuable contributors.

Rest in Peace Axel. May your wife have strength to get through this difficult time.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9136
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 15th, 2026 at 8:17:43 AM permalink
The initial rumor at the time of the flood was that he was dead.

I am sorry to hear that he is now actually dead. Going from losing everything to this must have taken its toll on his family too.

He and I had our differences but he was the first one who suggested that I take more steps to preserve anonymity in my postings, because of, as he put it, "all the nut jobs out there."

R.I.P.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 96
  • Posts: 6609
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
September 15th, 2026 at 8:42:08 AM permalink
Wow
What a day. I woke up this morning to find out an old coworker passed away from cancer. On a whim came here and I see the Axel news.
Sad.
Axel was a really cool and chill guy. I feel fortunate I got to hang out with him a few times.
I remember meeting him at a casino once for me to sign up for a player's card to give to him and he gave me some money for it. I pocketed it. He then wanted to do something private with it so he handed me 100 dollar bill and told me to have some fun gambling. I looked at him funny. I handed him back the 100 and told him I'd rather kill time in a sportsbook watching sports rather then gamble. He smiled. I think he really appreciated a friend that wasn't into gambling. He then decided to show me what he does with the card.
It was Fascinating
Ive also met his significant other. She must be devastated
RIP Axel
When somebody doesn't believe me, I could care less. Some get totally bent out of shape when not believed. Weird. I believe very little on all forums
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 15th, 2026 at 8:50:47 AM permalink
I moved to Vegas in 2016 and met him that November. For whatever reason, he took a liking to me and invited me into his AP world. We had some great runs together. He could be a bit hard-headed when he thought he was right (he usually was), but we could end one night pissed at each other, and he'd be cool the next day. He gave much more than he took and was a very good friend.
Has anyone been in touch with his wife?
Rest well, My Friend, until we meet again and have that drink on the Fiddlers Green.
Last edited by: billryan on Sep 15, 2026
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 6397
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
Thanked by
Wizard
September 15th, 2026 at 11:12:38 AM permalink
OH MY GOODNESS. I am so sorry to hear of this. Dammit. One of the elder statesman of this forum - although, as Wizard hints at, he never was interested in winning a good behavior award. A highly knowledgable AP. I remember he used to post his rankings for "The Worst Moderator of All Time" and the best rank any of us moderators ever achieved was "terrible" or something like that. I always appreciated the humor in it (and that he never ranked me as the worst moderator ever.)

Rest in Peace.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2242
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 15th, 2026 at 11:53:14 AM permalink
Very tragic. Never met him but I took from his writing that he was a younger man. R.I.P.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 15th, 2026 at 12:21:02 PM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Very tragic. Never met him but I took from his writing that he was a younger man. R.I.P.
link to original post



I'd guess he was around 50. Young to some, and ancient to others.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31614
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 15th, 2026 at 12:26:31 PM permalink
I was wondering what happened to him. I know he had these big dreams of having a large piece of property In Washington I think. Him and I did not get along that well on the forum but in private we used to talk all the time and got along famously. I bet if I went back over the years we talked over 100 times about all kinds of things.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 7604
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
Thanked by
Wizardbeachbumbabs
September 15th, 2026 at 12:30:01 PM permalink
This is an awful shock.
I knew Axel beyond his forum persona and he was a cool guy, ever helpful, fair and trustworthy.
My sympathies go out to his wife and friends.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5121
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
Thanked by
odiousgambitharrisWizardbeachbumbabsRSCrystalMath
September 15th, 2026 at 2:40:21 PM permalink
Axel was a dear friend of mine over the last 12+ years. He welcomed me into this community with open arms and always included me in whatever was going on AP wise or just fun outings. He’d call me every few months just to chat over the last bunch of years, just checking in and to see where I was in the world and what I was up to.

I was lucky to be able to see him one last time 13 days ago. I met him at a pizzeria near his property in Washington and we sat and talked for about 3 hours until he was tired. He didn’t look great, was quite thin and older looking but his personality and love for life was still clearly there. He dominated the conversation which I loved because he always told the most amazing stories. I wish I remembered more of his stories but one he told me that day was how he ended up going ft AP. He was working at the Frontier and was making more money pt hustling before and after work. He asked his boss for a month off to pursue AP and see if he could make enough. His boss said no so Axel said ok, thanks for the job and dove headfirst into full time AP. That’s the Axel I knew.

Axel was very hopeful that he was going to beat his illness and was making plans for when he did. AP plans, getting back into the swing of it. There was no doubt in his mind he’d beat this thing cause that’s the tough mother fucker Axel was ❤️

I loved him like family and I’m glad our last words were “love ya buddy, see you soon”.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 199
Joined: Feb 28, 2014
September 15th, 2026 at 4:15:25 PM permalink
Wish I’d met him. Gained much from his postings.

Sad 😢
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 15034
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
September 15th, 2026 at 4:42:32 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I just got a call that AxelWolf just died. The cause of death was medical in nature. I don't know much. He was seeking medical treatment for something. As I understand it, he was recovering well but then got a lung infection which went south quickly. Besides fighting for his health, he lost everything but the clothes on his back in a flood last December. He wrote about it in his last WoV post.

The real person behind AxelWolf was similar in personality as his online persona. However, the real Axel was more easy going and domesticated, most of the time. Nevertheless, he never backed down from a disagreement, much like here. He seemed to enjoy a good debate in the same way he was a pretty strong and sneaky chess player.

When we both lived in Las Vegas, I saw him often. It was usually for poker, pool or pickleball. Sometimes we just hung out at his place for no particular reason. It was at those times one could see the softer side of Axel -- introspective and a good listener.

Back here, Axel is in third place for number of posts. As a moderator, he could be a headache quite often. He was on the giving or receiving end of many complaints. However, his posts were of high quality and I consider him one of our most valuable contributors.

Rest in Peace Axel. May your wife have strength to get through this difficult time.
link to original post



I will miss him. I believe we both got started AP'ing Flush Attack machines.

If anyone runs across an obituary for him I would appreciate a link.
Last edited by: DRich on Sep 15, 2026
You can't know everything, but you can know anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31614
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 15th, 2026 at 5:41:48 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Axel was a dear friend of mine over the last 12+ years. He welcomed me into this community with open arms and always included me in whatever was going on AP wise or just fun outings. He’d call me every few months just to chat over the last bunch of years, just checking in and to see where I was in the world and what I was up to.

I was lucky to be able to see him one last time 13 days ago. I met him at a pizzeria near his property in Washington and we sat and talked for about 3 hours until he was tired. He didn’t look great, was quite thin and older looking but his personality and love for life was still clearly there. He dominated the conversation which I loved because he always told the most amazing stories. I wish I remembered more of his stories but one he told me that day was how he ended up going ft AP. He was working at the Frontier and was making more money pt hustling before and after work. He asked his boss for a month off to pursue AP and see if he could make enough. His boss said no so Axel said ok, thanks for the job and dove headfirst into full time AP. That’s the Axel I knew.

Axel was very hopeful that he was going to beat his illness and was making plans for when he did. AP plans, getting back into the swing of it. There was no doubt in his mind he’d beat this thing cause that’s the tough mother fucker Axel was ❤️

I loved him like family and I’m glad our last words were “love ya buddy, see you soon”.
link to original post



What was his illness What was making him sick. I know he liked to drink so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5121
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
Thanked by
harris
September 15th, 2026 at 7:04:39 PM permalink
Nothing to do with drinking, he had cancer.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
CeeEnd
CeeEnd
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 20
Joined: Apr 27, 2026
September 15th, 2026 at 8:04:58 PM permalink
Rest in peace.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13944
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 15th, 2026 at 8:57:12 PM permalink
R.I.P. Had no idea he was ill, but had been wondering if he had insurance for his property. I was kind of doubting he did, but that was just a guess. My other guess, was there was a long wait for compensation going on, which wouldn't surprise me in any kind of multiple parties' disaster area. Did he have other family besides his wife?
Sanitized for Your Protection
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 733
  • Posts: 5093
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
September 15th, 2026 at 11:02:17 PM permalink
Oh wow..
I've never met him but he offered me a couple of partnerships on plays. I wasn't available at those times.
I gave him a 6figure play overseas for free because i didn't have the foreign currency needed to play it. No idea if he took it. When i went back a few months later, that casino removed the machine.

RIP Axel
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 733
  • Posts: 5093
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
September 15th, 2026 at 11:07:10 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

R.I.P. Had no idea he was ill, but had been wondering if he had insurance for his property. I was kind of doubting he did, but that was just a guess. My other guess, was there was a long wait for compensation going on, which wouldn't surprise me in any kind of multiple parties' disaster area. Did he have other family besides his wife?
link to original post


If his house was in a flood zone, he didn't have private insurance. He might have gotten flood insurance from FEMA but it's limited to $250k.

No offense to Wiz but i don't think Axel lost everything in the flood. He might have lost his house but being full time AP, he probably had $ in the bank.
Unless he had it in cash in a safe and the safe washed away (along with his house) in the flood?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14271
Joined: May 21, 2013
Thanked by
RS
September 15th, 2026 at 11:07:11 PM permalink
Had to swing by and grieve a minute. Axel and I were pretty close for a little more than a decade. He was unique in my experience. His special gift was that he could see around corners, think outside the box. His personality busted out all over, whether he was deliberately riding folks at the poker table, scouting for opportunities, or just living large.

Yeah, he yelled at me for more than a half hour once. Scorched earth. But dozens of times he was there for me, brought me along for the ride. Last time we talked was a few months ago, and the conversation ended with love you"s in both directions. I'm glad we had that chance.

His wife is going to be devastated, especially after their floods. It would be good to have a memorial that included passing the hat to help her and their animals. It's probably not appropriate for me to suggest it, since I'm mostly gone from here, but what the hell. You guys are never far from my thoughts, so thought I'd bring it up.

RIP Axelwolf. You were amazing.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 126
  • Posts: 12819
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
September 16th, 2026 at 4:10:05 AM permalink
Axel showed me ‘the tricks of the trade’ 15 years ago and it opened my eyes to the overall concept of AP. I think it was how he exploited a loss rebate offer on a certain machine (he swore me to secrecy, which I will honor still!) that said to me ‘free money’.
He loved having drinks with me, as he would always offer to pay, and I generally would only have one to his half dozen or so!
Kind of like how I congratulate terapined about his retirement, the same goes for Axel. I remember him talking about getting out of Vegas into a woodsy/rivery/remote area, and thought he was BSing me. But he did it, and much younger than most.
He did relay to me the disaster that befell him with the flood. I thought he would rebound from that. But I’m sad to hear that cancer took another…..

RIP
Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 7:02:43 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

No offense to Wiz but i don't think Axel lost everything in the flood. He might have lost his house but being full time AP, he probably had $ in the bank.
Unless he had it in cash in a safe and the safe washed away (along with his house) in the flood?
link to original post



I forgot to mention he had his car and his trailer survived the floods. They had to urgently his property due to the flooding. I don't think he trusted banks and kept his assets in silver and Bitcoin. Unfortunately, the silver and Bitcoin passwords were kept in safes that got washed out in the flood. He tried desperately to find them, but as I heard the story, only found a rusty gun. He speculated people posing as searching for victims were really scavengers.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13944
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 16th, 2026 at 7:31:08 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: 100xOdds

No offense to Wiz but i don't think Axel lost everything in the flood. He might have lost his house but being full time AP, he probably had $ in the bank.
Unless he had it in cash in a safe and the safe washed away (along with his house) in the flood?
link to original post



I forgot to mention he had his car and his trailer survived the floods. They had to urgently his property due to the flooding. I don't think he trusted banks and kept his assets in silver and Bitcoin. Unfortunately, the silver and Bitcoin passwords were kept in safes that got washed out in the flood. He tried desperately to find them, but as I heard the story, only found a rusty gun. He speculated people posing as searching for victims were really scavengers.
link to original post



Wow, that's one of the few disasters that could make a safe unsafe is a torrent of water. Could have had a fire, just heavy flooding or even a tornado, and would have probably been recoverable. I think maybe only an airtag in a waterproof wrap tightly duct taped to the outside of it might have made it findable, but I wouldn't think of that either until afterwards as such an event would be unexpected unless you were well aware of the possibility of such a flood.

That's a real combo of sad events.
Sanitized for Your Protection
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2242
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 16th, 2026 at 7:58:49 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: Wizard

Quote: 100xOdds

No offense to Wiz but i don't think Axel lost everything in the flood. He might have lost his house but being full time AP, he probably had $ in the bank.
Unless he had it in cash in a safe and the safe washed away (along with his house) in the flood?
link to original post



I forgot to mention he had his car and his trailer survived the floods. They had to urgently his property due to the flooding. I don't think he trusted banks and kept his assets in silver and Bitcoin. Unfortunately, the silver and Bitcoin passwords were kept in safes that got washed out in the flood. He tried desperately to find them, but as I heard the story, only found a rusty gun. He speculated people posing as searching for victims were really scavengers.
link to original post



Wow, that's one of the few disasters that could make a safe unsafe is a torrent of water. Could have had a fire, just heavy flooding or even a tornado, and would have probably been recoverable. I think maybe only an airtag in a waterproof wrap tightly duct taped to the outside of it might have made it findable, but I wouldn't think of that either until afterwards as such an event would be unexpected unless you were well aware of the possibility of such a flood.

That's a real combo of sad events.
link to original post



I would never question what a man tells an insurance company, but a safe full of silver floating away in a flood, that's something I'd need to see.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 7604
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
September 16th, 2026 at 8:11:37 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: 100xOdds

No offense to Wiz but i don't think Axel lost everything in the flood. He might have lost his house but being full time AP, he probably had $ in the bank.
Unless he had it in cash in a safe and the safe washed away (along with his house) in the flood?
link to original post



I forgot to mention he had his car and his trailer survived the floods. They had to urgently his property due to the flooding. I don't think he trusted banks and kept his assets in silver and Bitcoin. Unfortunately, the silver and Bitcoin passwords were kept in safes that got washed out in the flood. He tried desperately to find them, but as I heard the story, only found a rusty gun. He speculated people posing as searching for victims were really scavengers.
link to original post

Holy ****
I can see how he would have stored his wealth locally and that could be devastating for his wife.
I'd lost touch with him just after he bought his out of town property. It was to be his and his wife's great adventure. So, was it that property that got flooded. Had he left his old home? It must have been pretty rapid for him to have left his safe behind.

And he was a secret mod here after I left? I didn't know that. If I had, I'd have passed the WMOAT badge over to him.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9136
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 16th, 2026 at 8:28:47 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As a moderator, he could be a headache quite often.
link to original post


I think what he meant there is that A.Wolf could be a headache for Wizard the moderator.

The type of flood described could easily have carried away a car let alone a heavy safe. In Southern California I’ve seen major rains that created even minor floods carry along a pickup truck some distance.

In any case the story A.Wolf presented directly indirectly and via his GoFundMe (tried to raise $35K did raise about $5K) was that he had sold everything left Vegas and lost pretty much everything in the flood and had no insurance. I understand he tried to use drones too to find things down river but nothing of value was recovered.

Over all I can’t think of a sadder story than guy loses everything then dies but what P.Grinder said that he was still upbeat to the end is nice to hear. It’s not so much the things that happen to us that matter but how we let them affect us.

The loss of the crypto reminds me of the guy who disposed of his bitcoin wallet containing laptop and wanted to search a trash landfill for it.
Last edited by: MDawg on Sep 16, 2026
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 8:38:59 AM permalink
A friend in NY bragged about owning 3 bitcoins that he got as a gift very early on. He talked of selling them and paying off his house, or maybe selling one and taking his wife on a world-class trip. He passed away suddenly, and so far no one has found any proof he owned them or a key to cashing them in. You have to wonder what percentage of bitcoins has been lost and will never be cashed out.
I wasn't aware of a GoFundMe for Ty; now I feel even worse.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13944
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 16th, 2026 at 9:02:09 AM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: rxwine

Quote: Wizard

Quote: 100xOdds

No offense to Wiz but i don't think Axel lost everything in the flood. He might have lost his house but being full time AP, he probably had $ in the bank.
Unless he had it in cash in a safe and the safe washed away (along with his house) in the flood?
link to original post



I forgot to mention he had his car and his trailer survived the floods. They had to urgently his property due to the flooding. I don't think he trusted banks and kept his assets in silver and Bitcoin. Unfortunately, the silver and Bitcoin passwords were kept in safes that got washed out in the flood. He tried desperately to find them, but as I heard the story, only found a rusty gun. He speculated people posing as searching for victims were really scavengers.
link to original post



Wow, that's one of the few disasters that could make a safe unsafe is a torrent of water. Could have had a fire, just heavy flooding or even a tornado, and would have probably been recoverable. I think maybe only an airtag in a waterproof wrap tightly duct taped to the outside of it might have made it findable, but I wouldn't think of that either until afterwards as such an event would be unexpected unless you were well aware of the possibility of such a flood.

That's a real combo of sad events.
link to original post



I would never question what a man tells an insurance company, but a safe full of silver floating away in a flood, that's something I'd need to see.
link to original post



Well, I don't know, I guess it would depend on the velocity of the water, what might hit it from behind in the water, and also a matter of incline, and other objects on the terrain. Maybe he had it hidden outside in the woods?
Sanitized for Your Protection
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 10:16:11 AM permalink
The flood took his entire house and everything in it. A flood that can take your home and car can easily carry away a safe.
My insurance covers silver and gold in a safe, as long as you declare it in advance.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14271
Joined: May 21, 2013
September 16th, 2026 at 10:16:26 AM permalink
Quote: Automatic Monkey

I would never question what a man tells an insurance company, but a safe full of silver floating away in a flood, that's something I'd need to see.
link to original post



Axel was a shot-taker, yes, but he didn't lie. I'm quite sure it happened just as he said it did. They lost 2 large RVs, 2 containers, and a jeep in the flood. It was a 100-year event up north of LV quite a ways. There are lots of pictures, but I'm not going to out the location, since he didn't put it here.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 10:45:41 AM permalink
Axel had some amazing abilities.
I was with him once, chasing a progressive. He was on the left machine, and I was on the right side of a four-machine bank, with two players in between us. With all eight machines tied up, it was inevitable that one of us would hit. When it was over, he quietly pulled me aside and told me that in the nearly three hours I'd been playing, I twice missed holding two pair. He was playing a machine, shuffling players in and out of machines, but could still monitor my play from three machines away. The funny thing was, I'd realized one mistake right after I made it.
I had a minor stroke in Vegas, and Axel somehow tracked me to the hospital I was in and offered to take in my dog for as long as needed.
We hadn't talked in a while, and I feel horrible about it.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31614
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 16th, 2026 at 12:57:09 PM permalink
Axel wrote this almost exactly two years ago in October 2024. I just went and read every post in this thread and it reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. "If you want to hear God laugh, announce your plans." Al Swearengen

October 5th, 2024 at 7:30:26 PMpermalink
It's official, I'm now in early retirement after decades of doing what I loved, mostly on my own terms. leading me on an interesting great adventure all while meeting some interesting, smart, and very cool people while making some life-long friends, and even a few haters along the way.

Retirement? Well, mostly retiring anyway, I don't think most Advantage Players ever fully retire.
I'll be doing some online stuff, including some sports betting, and certainly, if a big play comes along I will be there with bells on. I'll also have action on some ongoing plays.

Why retire when there's still plenty of money to be made? I really dislike the Nevada desert, and while Las Vegas has much to offer, it doesn't have what makes me happiest.

It's been a dream of mine since I was a teen to own waterfront property and enjoy all the beauties of the great outdoors while fishing, hunting, panning, rock hounding, camping, and 4 seasons. I'll get to enjoy the mountains, the rain, the snow, the ocean beaches, the green, the trees, lakes rivers, steams brooks, and creeks every day. I hope to be able to walk outside my door and enjoy my own creek/river/oceanfront property.

I will not be sitting on my ass doing nothing. Obviously, fishing, boating, and traveling, but I will also be doing much more than I do currently, hopefully building/restoring and improving property/land with sweat equity, all while taking the time to do the stuff mentioned above.
I'll be selling my Mercedes and lowrider truck and buying electric Bikes, motorcycles, ATVs, 4-wheel drives, backhoes, boats, and chainsaws.

I already have a 35' class A, Winabago, a small boat along with a few hefty solar power banks, a few generators, and recently bought a cargo van.

I bought 24+ acres in northern California, and I plan on buying something similar in Washington State. I spent about 3 months on the road looking for the perfect places, I have a few in mind. Perhaps I'll change my handle to River Wolf.

I can't say 100% for sure exactly where this will all lead me, or what's in the cards, but I have a vision in my head and a flexible plan.

May all the good-hearted AP's and the new generation of AP's crush the casinos, make millions, and lead a happy life.

And who knows...

♪♪ Now you swear and kick and beg us that you're not a gamblin' man. Then you find you're back in Vegas with a handle in your hand.♪♪

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/39569-early-retirement-after-decades-of-doing-what-i-loved/#post937743

I have known so many guys who had big plans for retirement and never made it or just started it and died. I'll be 78 next year and I'm never going to retire, there's no future in it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9136
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 16th, 2026 at 1:13:23 PM permalink
When he posted that I advised him against the purchase, mostly because the parcel seemed to me essentially landlocked and he would need an easement just to access it. I offered to handle some of the legal work involved, or at least advise him on it, but he seemed certain he could do it on his own to get the easement. No one could have anticipated a catastrophic flood, but there were obvious reasons why the land sold so cheaply.

People do things the way they want to sometimes. If you're willing to go live off the grid it makes sense that you'd perhaps also be the type to eschew bank accounts and cash and carry everything. That cash and carry aspect of him is part of why we clashed on my opinion of what casinos would and would not do as far as issuing cage checks - I have a lot of experience with that, and he did not, so when I proposed a wager over the matter, Wizard chose my side.

I think over all this thread does a good job of discussing Wolf, the man, the myth, the legend! and it neither canonizes him nor makes him out to be a bad guy. I think the most interesting part of his story is how he was self made arriving in Vegas with nothing much and no particular education or technical training, maybe not quite as much of a phoenix story as D.Oz, but close.
Last edited by: MDawg on Sep 16, 2026
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 5:16:59 PM permalink
Axel lived a life that would worthy of a good book or movie. The ending seemed like something out of a biblical disaster story, like the Book of Job. Even through the flood and fighting cancer, he still had a pretty good attitude and sense of humor. Yes, he was somewhat deflated, but he kept moving forward. The last time I saw him was when he passed through where I live now hauling an Argo he borrowed from somebody near Vancouver BC. These are a vehicle that can serve as both a boat or a car. I honestly didn't know such things existed outside of James Bond movies until I saw it. He planed to use it to locate his missing property, especially the safes. He asked me to help. Now I wish I had, although it probably wouldn't have helped. It still would have made for a good story.

As to those who doubt his story, I have never known him to lie. It's also entirely believable. He lived in a flat area not far from a river. During the December heavy rains in Washington, that river flooded everything close to it. After it dried out, the river had a new course on the other side of his property, blocking what was previously easy access by road. Our last conversation was partially about finding a lawyer to help him get an easement to drive to his property. If I'm not mistaken, of all kinds of natural disasters, those involving water have the most fatalities.

Reminds me of a trivia question -- What natural disaster had the most fatalities in US history?

"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2242
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 16th, 2026 at 5:31:32 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Axel lived a life that would worthy of a good book or movie. The ending seemed like something out of a biblical disaster story, like the Book of Job. Even through the flood and fighting cancer, he still had a pretty good attitude and sense of humor. Yes, he was somewhat deflated, but he kept moving forward. The last time I saw him was when he passed through where I live now hauling an Argo he borrowed from somebody near Vancouver BC. These are a vehicle that can serve as both a boat or a car. I honestly didn't know such things existed outside of James Bond movies until I saw it. He planed to use it to locate his missing property, especially the safes. He asked me to help. Now I wish I had, although it probably wouldn't have helped. It still would have made for a good story.

As to those who doubt his story, I have never known him to lie. It's also entirely believable. He lived in a flat area not far from a river. During the December heavy rains in Washington, that river flooded everything close to it. After it dried out, the river had a new course on the other side of his property, blocking what was previously easy access by road. Our last conversation was partially about finding a lawyer to help him get an easement to drive to his property. If I'm not mistaken, of all kinds of natural disasters, those involving water have the most fatalities.

Reminds me of a trivia question -- What natural disaster had the most fatalities in US history?


link to original post



Oh sure there have been a few such vehicles. I was looking at an Amphicar once, and DUKW (Duck!) tours are often available in coastal cities or any that have an interesting waterfront.

The New England heat wave in the 1960's?
Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 6:01:07 PM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey


The New England heat wave in the 1960's?

link to original post



Nope.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 695
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
September 16th, 2026 at 6:36:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Axel lived a life that would worthy of a good book or movie. The ending seemed like something out of a biblical disaster story, like the Book of Job. Even through the flood and fighting cancer, he still had a pretty good attitude and sense of humor. Yes, he was somewhat deflated, but he kept moving forward. The last time I saw him was when he passed through where I live now hauling an Argo he borrowed from somebody near Vancouver BC. These are a vehicle that can serve as both a boat or a car. I honestly didn't know such things existed outside of James Bond movies until I saw it. He planed to use it to locate his missing property, especially the safes. He asked me to help. Now I wish I had, although it probably wouldn't have helped. It still would have made for a good story.

As to those who doubt his story, I have never known him to lie. It's also entirely believable. He lived in a flat area not far from a river. During the December heavy rains in Washington, that river flooded everything close to it. After it dried out, the river had a new course on the other side of his property, blocking what was previously easy access by road. Our last conversation was partially about finding a lawyer to help him get an easement to drive to his property. If I'm not mistaken, of all kinds of natural disasters, those involving water have the most fatalities.

Reminds me of a trivia question -- What natural disaster had the most fatalities in US history?



link to original post


Galveston hurricane 1900. They don’t know the fatality count for sure but i believe estimates are around 12000.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 16th, 2026 at 6:38:10 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford


Galveston hurricane 1900. They don’t know the fatality count for sure but i believe estimates are around 12000.

link to original post



That is correct!
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9136
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 17th, 2026 at 9:14:38 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

he had cancer.
link to original post


The January 2026, GoFundMe mentions everything that happened in detail and all of his woes in detail surrounding the flood disaster but no mention of illness. So I assume he went from diagnosis sometime after January, to death within just months. What kind of cancer was it? I wonder if he had the cancer for some time and just wasn't aware, or if it was something like pancreatic which may go from diagnosis to death very quickly.

Lungs mentioned by Wizard. Smoking?

Maybe it doesn't matter but when someone dies that relatively young makes you wonder.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13944
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 17th, 2026 at 9:32:36 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Quote: PokerGrinder

he had cancer.
link to original post


The January 2026, GoFundMe mentions everything that happened in detail and all of his woes in detail surrounding the flood disaster but no mention of illness. So I assume he went from diagnosis sometime after January, to death within just months. What kind of cancer was it? I wonder if he had the cancer for some time and just wasn't aware, or if it was something like pancreatic which may go from diagnosis to death very quickly.

Lungs mentioned by Wizard. Smoking?

Maybe it doesn't matter but when someone dies that relatively young makes you wonder.
link to original post



Lung infection possibly due to weakened immune system from chemo? You really have to keep on top of any infection during chemo.

Of course, the recent case of the race car driver, probably pushed himself too hard to keep working, when he should have rested. I think he was probably in good heath otherwise not long before.
Sanitized for Your Protection
Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 17th, 2026 at 12:18:50 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Lung infection possibly due to weakened immune system from chemo? You really have to keep on top of any infection during chemo.
link to original post



I think it was something like this.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31614
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 17th, 2026 at 12:24:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: rxwine

Lung infection possibly due to weakened immune system from chemo? You really have to keep on top of any infection during chemo.
link to original post



I think it was something like this.
link to original post



Was he a heavy smoker, I never met him so I don't know. I had a friend years ago who was a smoker and always talked about retirement when he hit his 50s and he died in his late 40s of lung cancer. He was a small nervous guy who was extremely intelligent and started several very successful businesses and was worth a lot of money when he died.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 2891
Joined: Feb 8, 2011
September 17th, 2026 at 2:26:20 PM permalink
So sad to hear this. I only met him a couple times in person. He seemed like a smart guy but also stern. Didn’t know him well enough to be able to share much about him. Seeing in this thread that he was married, I, too, wish his wife well through this time.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Mooseton2
Mooseton2
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 25, 2026
September 25th, 2026 at 10:21:05 AM permalink
This is all too much. Just devastating 😞 I can't even begin. Is there a funeral planned?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mooseton2
September 25th, 2026 at 11:47:41 AM permalink
Not that I'm aware of. I've tried reaching out to his old Vegas crew, but I don't have their current numbers.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
Mooseton2
Mooseton2
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 25, 2026
September 25th, 2026 at 8:03:16 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Not that I'm aware of. I've tried reaching out to his old Vegas crew, but I don't have their current numbers.
link to original post



Hello Bill! I mean well and hope all is alright. The hell I been through with a wife who keeps losing her mind for 3-9months before sobering up. Somehow, I found a way to get around that with Jesus and God. I just wanted to offer my condolences and services. At a minimum, I could offer to find his safe in the river if I found it. I do mean well. This is too messed up. I had lost contact with Axel when my iPhone went haywire in december in a boot loop.

Also, I pray the mods give me clemency. As I was here before them. I don't have access to my yahoo accounts anymore. I don't have money for iPhones anymore. I was there and donated when the tin cup was out for the wizard. I also helped the forum when I alerted Axel of the Longhorn promotion back in 2021. I think I contributed enough that I should be given some mercy and just let me be. Please. My old yahoo accounts are no longer accessible. This is what happens with really old accounts.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7948
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 25th, 2026 at 8:06:42 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton2


Also, I pray the mods give me clemency. As I was here before them. I don't have access to my yahoo accounts anymore. I don't have money for iPhones anymore. I was there and donated when the tin cup was out for the wizard. I also helped the forum when I alerted Axel of the Longhorn promotion back in 2021. I think I contributed enough that I should be given some mercy and just let me be. Please. My old yahoo accounts are no longer accessible. This is what happens with really old accounts.
link to original post



I'm pretty sure I read most of that between the lines.
Just be dang sure you're not responding to this from your old account.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Mooseton2
Mooseton2
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 25, 2026
September 25th, 2026 at 8:36:42 PM permalink
Also, DJ, Casey where you at?
Mooseton2
Mooseton2
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 25, 2026
September 25th, 2026 at 8:43:23 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: Mooseton2


Also, I pray the mods give me clemency. As I was here before them. I don't have access to my yahoo accounts anymore. I don't have money for iPhones anymore. I was there and donated when the tin cup was out for the wizard. I also helped the forum when I alerted Axel of the Longhorn promotion back in 2021. I think I contributed enough that I should be given some mercy and just let me be. Please. My old yahoo accounts are no longer accessible. This is what happens with really old accounts.
link to original post



I'm pretty sure I read most of that between the lines.
Just be dang sure you're not responding to this from your old account.
link to original post


My yahoo accounts are in-accessble. Forever. I don't want trouble. The pain in my heart is real.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21487
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 25th, 2026 at 9:16:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton2

Quote: Dieter

Quote: Mooseton2


Also, I pray the mods give me clemency. As I was here before them. I don't have access to my yahoo accounts anymore. I don't have money for iPhones anymore. I was there and donated when the tin cup was out for the wizard. I also helped the forum when I alerted Axel of the Longhorn promotion back in 2021. I think I contributed enough that I should be given some mercy and just let me be. Please. My old yahoo accounts are no longer accessible. This is what happens with really old accounts.
link to original post



I'm pretty sure I read most of that between the lines.
Just be dang sure you're not responding to this from your old account.
link to original post


My yahoo accounts are in-accessble. Forever. I don't want trouble. The pain in my heart is real.
link to original post




Sorry to hear you are not doing well. I live in Southern Arizona, but I'll be spending more time in Mexico soon. Casey dropped by a few months ago for a drive-by.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28390
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 26th, 2026 at 7:36:38 AM permalink
Updating the list of WoV members we've lost. Anyone I'm missing?

Axelwolf
Steeldco (unconfirmed)
DanLubin
Perdition
Fleastiff (likely)
Moses

RIP all.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
  • Jump to: