1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Mission146
January 29th, 2023 at 3:01:13 PM permalink
The Eagles 49ers game turned into nothing less than an embarrassment for the NFL. After Purdyreturned for his second stint to just hand the ball off, the 49ers might as well have just taken a knee 3 times and punted. Down 21 they weren’t even in a ‘hurry up’ mode. I think in the next 3 or 4 series he threw one dump off pass. Watching a sporting event when one team has clearly given up trying to win is not fun.

Starting QB week 1 for 49ers next year?

Purdy?
Lance?
Garoppolo?
Brady?
Other?

Probably 20% each!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 29th, 2023 at 3:06:51 PM permalink
Brock Purdy is presently incapable of the physical act of throwing a football; what do you expect the 49ers to do? Purdy wouldn't even be in there but for the fact that the 49ers fourth-stringer is concussed.

I'm going to say either Purdy or Brady. I don't think Jimmy G. will even be a 49er next season.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
January 29th, 2023 at 3:41:36 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Brock Purdy is presently incapable of the physical act of throwing a football; what do you expect the 49ers to do? Purdy wouldn't even be in there but for the fact that the 49ers fourth-stringer is concussed.

I'm going to say either Purdy or Brady. I don't think Jimmy G. will even be a 49er next season.
link to original post

. I guess you didn’t read my post. I said they should take a knee. Both are admitting you are not trying to win the game. McCaffrey towards the end did throw a pass pretty far downfield. Too bad there weren’t any teammates pretty far downfield. I’ve thought about the QB and agree with you on Garoppolo. And Purdy and/or Brady. I just don’t know where Lance fits in.

(I know they can’t really just take a knee….)
Mission146
Mission146
January 29th, 2023 at 4:52:01 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

. I guess you didn’t read my post. I said they should take a knee. Both are admitting you are not trying to win the game. McCaffrey towards the end did throw a pass pretty far downfield. Too bad there weren’t any teammates pretty far downfield. I’ve thought about the QB and agree with you on Garoppolo. And Purdy and/or Brady. I just don’t know where Lance fits in.

(I know they can’t really just take a knee….)
link to original post

I’d say Lance is the presumptive backup if Purdy; if Brady, then as embarrassing as it would be (given the draft capital they traded away to be able to get Lance), I think you’d probably have to cut him loose and have Purdy as QB2.

Although, Lance is cheap enough for a QB3. I also don’t know what other teams would be willing to give for him; maybe a second-rounder?

I didn’t misread; I misunderstood. I thought you were being sarcastic about taking a knee.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
January 29th, 2023 at 5:28:06 PM permalink
A very disappointing game and an ugly way to end a fantastic season. Eagles D has had an interesting post-season. Going into the Big Game, they won't have played a competitive quarter since before Christmas.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
Mission146
January 30th, 2023 at 2:50:50 AM permalink
As I watched the way-out-of-bounds tackle on Mahomes take place in the final seconds KC vs CIN... I remembered a wise saying

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mission146
Mission146
January 30th, 2023 at 9:47:10 AM permalink
Pittsburgh Steelers season wrap-up:

https://wizardofvegas.com/articles/steeler-talk-2022-season-observations/
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Mission146
January 30th, 2023 at 3:43:38 PM permalink

link to original post

Jimmy G is my early pick to be the Raiders starting QB next year.

I am thinking Trey Lance ultimately gets the starting job back, think Purdy had to go to the Super Bowl, NFC championship didn’t keep them from giving it to Lance from Jimmy.
Mission146
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 7:57:07 AM permalink
Some NFL Season wrap-ups and quick look-aheads to 2023:

https://wizardofvegas.com/articles/2022-nfl-season-quick-breakdowns/

Everyone should read this article so they can point and laugh at my horrible win total Picks!!!
Mission146
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 7:58:01 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

I am thinking Trey Lance ultimately gets the starting job back, think Purdy had to go to the Super Bowl, NFC championship didn’t keep them from giving it to Lance from Jimmy.
link to original post

You don't think they'll factor in the injury to Purdy in the first drive of the game? At a minimum, I would assume it'll be a competition.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 8:45:23 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You don't think they'll factor in the injury to Purdy in the first drive of the game? At a minimum, I would assume it'll be a competition.
link to original post

I’m sure they’ll factor it in. And yeah, competition sounds right. Biggest factor is that their GM, given the resources to acquire him, believes or believed in Lance at a very high level and he didn’t really lose the job through performance. Interesting situation to see play out to be sure.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 10:11:28 AM permalink
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Tyler Huntley was named to the NFL Pro Bowl after his incredible season of 2 touchdown passes and three interceptions. I realize everyone else is hurt, but come on.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 10:26:35 AM permalink
Towards the end of the season there was a surge of forgotten or little-known quarterbacks getting opportunities. What will happen to these guys?

1. Brock Purdy - no matter his future, forever to be known as Mr. Irrelevant
2. Baker Mayfield - looked like he was on his way out of the NFL
3. Joshua Dobbs - Rescued from 2+ years as a practice QB. Buried behind Rothlisberger and then very unluckily traded away from Steelers just before opportunities opened up. In college Jalen Hurts and Josh Dobbs were #1 and #2 among SEC QBs for a couple of years, and the gap between them then was small.
4. Sam Ehlinger
5. Sam Howell
6. Desmond Ridder
7. Nathan Peterman

Which ones will start? Become backups? Become #3s? Practice QBs or out of the NFL quickly?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Mission146
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 10:41:05 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Towards the end of the season there was a surge of forgotten or little-known quarterbacks getting opportunities. What will happen to these guys?

3. Joshua Dobbs - Rescued from 2+ years as a practice QB. Buried behind Rothlisberger and then very unluckily traded away from Steelers just before opportunities opened up. In college Jalen Hurts and Josh Dobbs were #1 and #2 among SEC QBs for a couple of years, and the gap between them then was small.
4. Sam Ehlinger
5. Sam Howell
6. Desmond Ridder
7. Nathan Peterman

Which ones will start? Become backups? Become #3s? Practice QBs or out of the NFL quickly?
link to original post

1.) Either the starter for the 49ers or will compete for the spot. If they get one of the significant FA veterans, then backup.

2.) Most likely a backup somewhere.

3.) I don't know. Was his performance with TEN even enough to compel someone to put him on a roster? Third-string somewhere, if so. Maybe backup, but I'd be surprised.

4.) Why would the Colts release him? Backup or 3rd string next season. He's cheap as hell, no reason to release him. Doesn't have any trade value in this draft, imo.

5.) Backup for the Commanders. Why release him? No trade value.

6.) Maybe competes for Falcons' starting spot if they don't make any big moves? Why would they release him? Also, no trade value.

7.) Who knows? I could take snaps and immediately throw the ball out of bounds, literally every single play, and I'd have a better career QB Rate than Peterman does.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 11:04:15 AM permalink
Could see Dobbs ending up with a sort of Colt McCoy or Chad Henne type career, long career as mid level backup. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Maybe Mayfield ends up in competition with a rookie QB, sort of like Trubisky this year, likely starts some games.

Ridder idk, likely backup but has a chance to compete.

Purdy I think is in competition with Lance but it’s like a 60-40 competition not 50-50 where they get roughly equal reps in pre-season, but Lance is the starter by default if Purdy isn’t clearly better. I suppose they could trade Lance around the draft to be a starter elsewhere if they can get a good return, but I think they value the QB depth given what’s happened
this year and the combined salary is well below average starting QB.
None of the rest have any reasonable chance to start next season without injury circumstances.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Jan 31, 2023
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 12:53:11 PM permalink
Not sure when the Purdy guesses were made, but he needs MAJOR arm surgery for a QB. And it’s not like he had the ‘gun for an arm’ that his competitors did. He may not even be cleared to practice, let alone play, by August. If you made me pick I’d go Brady, Lance, Garoppolo, Purdy, Other.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 2:53:04 PM permalink

Not sure when the Purdy guesses were made, but he needs MAJOR arm surgery for a QB. And it’s not like he had the ‘gun for an arm’ that his competitors did. He may not even be cleared to practice, let alone play, by August. If you made me pick I’d go Brady, Lance, Garoppolo, Purdy, Other.
link to original post

Pffttt…Who do you think you are, some sort of doctor or something?
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 3:45:10 PM permalink

Could see Dobbs ending up with a sort of Colt McCoy or Chad Henne type career, long career as mid level backup. Not a bad gig if you can get it.
link to original post

Henne has had a pretty cushy career as the KC backup QB. I do think it is funny that I am seeing on Twitter that his play during the Divisional round exposes Mahomes and the Chiefs system. People really want to make excuses as to why their team loss and not acknowledge that KC has an amazing team.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 4:17:42 PM permalink

link to original post

Pffttt…Who do you think you are, some sort of doctor or something?
link to original post

It’s not from my orthopedic expertise! It’s from reading internet articles. My one true story is I personally watched a pro football player have surgery on his thumb, and I thought there was NO WAY he’d be playing in 6 days. He played, and played well.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
January 31st, 2023 at 5:36:44 PM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

link to original post

Henne has had a pretty cushy career as the KC backup QB. I do think it is funny that I am seeing on Twitter that his play during the Divisional round exposes Mahomes and the Chiefs system. People really want to make excuses as to why their team loss and not acknowledge that KC has an amazing team.
link to original post

Two things about Henne. He did start for most of three seasons so he deserves some credit for earning it but it’s been almost a decade, he’s cashed a lot of checks off that. Secondly, yeah, five years in the same place, same coach for a backup he couldn’t possibly have been better prepared for the opportunity.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
Mission146
February 1st, 2023 at 5:45:56 AM permalink
At the completion of Superbowl LVII, either Chad Henne or Gardner Minshew will become the 6th former Jaguars starting quarterback to have earned a Superbowl ring as a player!

Steve Beuerlein -- XXVII with the Cowboys (before his stint with the Jags)
Byron Leftwich -- XLIII with the Steelers (also got one as OC for the Bucs)
Mark Brunell -- XLIV with the Saints
Nick Foles -- LII with the Eagles (before his stint with the Jags)
Blaine Gabbert -- LV with the Bucs

[Edit: forgot one!]
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
odiousgambit
February 1st, 2023 at 7:02:16 AM permalink

link to original post

Brady announced his retirement today, so it's probably going to be Brady. JK
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Mission146
February 1st, 2023 at 7:58:39 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

4. Sam Ehlinger
5. Sam Howell
6. Desmond Ridder
7. Nathan Peterman

link to original post

I realize that that you have a generally negative opinion of Stetson Bennett, but if I were in a position to ponder a late round draft pick, say 4th round or later, and I was in need of a quarterback, he would be my choice.

Physically he is 5'11' and 190 lbs. That is taller than Kyler Murphy and equal to Russell Wilson and Tua.

I watched him play every game at UGA, and his accuracy I would compare to Drew Brees. Consider these stats:

He was 29 and 1 as a starter.
He was the first QB to engineer consecutive College Football Playoff titles. He worked four CFP games and was MVP in all four. In those four games, he threw for 1189 yards with 12 TD's and only one pick. He completed 67.8% of his passes and ran for 3 TD's. He led a 4th quarter comeback against Alabama and epic rallies against Ohio State. In others words, the dude is clutch. He beat Bryce Young, C.J.Stroud, and Max Duggan.

Here in Georgia he has been labeled as the UGA GOAT of quarterbacks.

For me, it is hard to imagine that he could not outdo or outplay those listed above in this thread.

His Combine activity will be closely watched and provide greater insight in his abilities.

Let's wait and see.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
February 1st, 2023 at 8:36:05 AM permalink
Outside of Matt Stafford, you need to go back to 1960 for a UGA quarterback that made a mark as pro.
Getting arrested last weekend certainly improved his draft status.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
February 1st, 2023 at 8:57:12 AM permalink
An Eagles lineman was just charged with rape and kidnapping. If he were charged with domestic violence, he'd be immediately suspended but rape and kidnapping doesn't automatically get one suspended in the league where they play for pay.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
Mission146
February 1st, 2023 at 10:38:13 AM permalink
Tom Brady is "retiring for good" per a video he posted on his Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1620772095889403905
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
odiousgambit
February 1st, 2023 at 10:49:46 AM permalink
Every drink is the last one. I'll believe he's retired in 2028 if he hasn't played by then.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
Mission146
February 1st, 2023 at 11:14:24 AM permalink
Stetson Bennett is a smart accurate quarterback and a good runner but he has below-average arm strength for an NFL QB. He is actually two years older than Jalen Hurts and is older than some others on that list of QBs. Bennett has played college ball behind elite offensive lines and the suspicion is that he will not play as well once he starts getting pressured and pounded by NFL players.

A 29-2 winning record for his team is not the way to judge an individual player. Bennett played on a Ga. team whose roster was 72% comprised of players who were 4-stars or 5 star recruits (Stetson of course was a walk-on) and every opponent they played this last year, except for Ohio State, had less than 50% of their roster who were rated as 4 and 5 stars. That is why Georgia won so many games, they had better players everywhere else. Georgia's winning record was primarily due to their elite defense. Bennett's statistics were inflated by the elite offensive lines he stood behind and the great receivers he threw too.

Projecting the NFL draft is an inexact science, but Bennett is currently projected as a late fifth round pick. Of course, that was before Blotto-Gate (his arrest in Texas). Sight unseen, I would definitely pick him over Nate Peterman - hey, I would pick a turd over Nathan Peterman. But, as you say, time will tell whether he is Tom Brady or Jimmy Clausen.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Mission146
February 2nd, 2023 at 3:05:58 AM permalink

an Eagles player - Josh Sills - a scrub I believe - has been charged with rape and kidnapping in Ohio
sure to cause a lot of chatter

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/sport/philadelphia-eagles-player-rape-charges-spt-intl/index.html

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
February 2nd, 2023 at 4:37:28 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

an Eagles player - Josh Sills - a scrub I believe - has been charged with rape and kidnapping in Ohio

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/sport/philadelphia-eagles-player-rape-charges-spt-intl/index.html

link to original post

I always find it to be sensationalism journalism when a story like this comes out after the team makes the Super Bowl. This case was from 2019. I am happy to see that the victim did report the case in 2019 and didn't just bring it up now. Hopefully this will play out in court and if a crime was committed the player will have justice served.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
February 2nd, 2023 at 4:54:58 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

I always find it to be sensationalism journalism when a story like this comes out after the team makes the Super Bowl. This case was from 2019. I am happy to see that the victim did report the case in 2019 and didn't just bring it up now. Hopefully this will play out in court and if a crime was committed the player will have justice served.
link to original post

according to 2 different stories the Ohio AG Office indicted him on Tuesday and announced it on Wednesday

I believe there was an investigation but he was un-indicted until then

so, sensationalism may be on the part of the AG's Office - the AG could have waited until after the SB if they've already waited this long

it wouldn't surprise me at all that the AG, who is an elected official, would like to get his name in the press - show everybody what a tough guy he is

I can't blame the press for their reporting of it

KirkSutton
KirkSutton
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
mcallister3200Hunterhill
February 2nd, 2023 at 6:12:16 AM permalink
Billy is aware that I saw each home Islanders Playoff game during their inaugural Stanley Cup winning season.
Oh well, I'm now a Sabres supporter. In NHL history, we are the first team to place 31st!
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
February 2nd, 2023 at 7:27:14 AM permalink
Quote: KirkSutton

Billy is aware that I saw each home Islanders Playoff game during their inaugural Stanley Cup winning season.
Oh well, I'm now a Sabres supporter. In NHL history, we are the first team to place 31st!
link to original post

Am I supposed to know you?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
February 3rd, 2023 at 3:21:04 AM permalink

interesting stat - to me anyway
the NBA All Star game - which is a shootout - never had the total go over 300 points until 2012 when it barely got over 300
then, from 2014 to the present every single game except one went over 300 points
in 2017 they got close to 400 points - they scored 374
for everyday games right now the totals are usually somewhere between 215 and 245
to say the least - the All Star game definitely does not feature great defense
it will be interesting to see what they set the total at this year
last year the betting total was set at 324.5 points

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 4th, 2023 at 6:04:53 AM permalink
The WNBA players are whining again about having to fly commercial. Management points out how much charters cost. I checked on attendance/ticket cost for the WNBA. Hard to get exact figures, but the TOTAL ticket sales for the ENTIRE WNBA season is less than $65 million! That’s for ALL the teams! The product just can’t put fannies in the seats. I doubt they get ratings above Naked and Afraid. To put the $65 million into perspective, that would be enough to pay Evan Fournier, Derrick Rose, Joe Harris, and Evan Mobley. And that’s it. Unless you follow NBA closely you may not know those guys. Harris and Mobley at least play.

In summary, the WNBA is a shitty product, whose players have the usual entitled mentality. Has any WoV member ever watched an entire WNBA game? It is painful…
DRich
DRich
February 4th, 2023 at 8:46:19 AM permalink

The WNBA players are whining again about having to fly commercial. Management points out how much charters cost. I checked on attendance/ticket cost for the WNBA. Hard to get exact figures, but the TOTAL ticket sales for the ENTIRE WNBA season is less than $65 million! That’s for ALL the teams! The product just can’t put fannies in the seats. I doubt they get ratings above Naked and Afraid. To put the $65 million into perspective, that would be enough to pay Evan Fournier, Derrick Rose, Joe Harris, and Evan Mobley. And that’s it. Unless you follow NBA closely you may not know those guys. Harris and Mobley at least play.

In summary, the WNBA is a shitty product, whose players have the usual entitled mentality. Has any WoV member ever watched an entire WNBA game? It is painful…
link to original post

Simple solution. Allow the players to charter their own plane.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 4th, 2023 at 9:12:00 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Simple solution. Allow the players to charter their own plane.
link to original post

I think the plane issue is specifically outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that the PLAYERS signed with the owners. That it would be a competitive advantage for any team that has charters if all teams don’t have charters. So no owner can pay for a charter and that was AGREED to by the players!

So here is the solution. In the next CBA insist that the $25million needed for the charters be in the budget. Just subtract that from the $65 million used to pay player salaries, coach salaries, arena expenses, legal expenses, accounting expenses, and whatever ‘profits’. (LOL) an owner hopes to make….

I know there is some money from jersey sales, commercial ties, etc…. But the $25 million has to come from somewhere. Certainly not from the ‘popularity’ of the league.

Can you imagine if the (predominately) white male Pro Bowlers Association ‘demanded’ charter flights from event to event?
billryan
billryan 
February 4th, 2023 at 9:35:51 AM permalink
WNBA player salaries are under $15 million, while revenue is around $75 million. Most teams play in arenas owned by the team that would be empty if not for the WNBA. I think revenues have gone up most years since the league started.
I've never watched a WNBA game but I've also not watched the NBA regular season in many years. Growing up, BBall was my favorite sport but today's game is a long way from the sport I loved.
DRich
DRich
February 4th, 2023 at 9:55:45 AM permalink

I say just change the CBA and allow players to travel on their own to games if they choose to do so. If they want to charter they can and if not the team will still pay for commercial travel.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
SOOPOO
February 5th, 2023 at 3:09:42 AM permalink

A total joke, same as the WNBA itself. Someone has to tell these ladies that the WNBA is a minor league at best. Tell them that they want to fly charter then they have to generate the money that justifies that. But they think that the only difference is "they are women."

News flash for them. Nobody is watching. How many people can name three teams in the WNBA without looking? The only reason I can see to watch is for sharps who can find some betting edge.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
February 5th, 2023 at 4:01:55 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

News flash for them. Nobody is watching. How many people can name three teams in the WNBA without looking? The only reason I can see to watch is for sharps who can find some betting edge.
link to original post

In the first 5 years or so there was a lot of good betting opportunities in WNBA. I do not know if they still exist in the quantity that they did before. I don't think I have ever watched a whole WNBA game and probably only watched a few hours in total. Sun, Mercury, Sparks, Aces. Those are the only teams I can think of off the top of my head.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 5th, 2023 at 4:58:18 AM permalink

unfortunately for the women they're competing for entertainment quality with the NBA and it's not even remotely close
the men in the NBA are almost Supermen and are capable of jaw dropping feats of athleticism
in my mind the WNBA is playing on a level roughly equal to men's small college basketball
it would be really interesting, and maybe quite profitable to see them play against a men's small college team

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 5th, 2023 at 6:12:07 AM permalink

unfortunately for the women they're competing for entertainment quality with the NBA and it's not even remotely close
the men in the NBA are almost Supermen and are capable of jaw dropping feats of athleticism
in my mind the WNBA is playing on a level roughly equal to men's small college basketball
it would be really interesting, and maybe quite profitable to see them play against a men's small college team

link to original post

The mens small college team would annihilate any pro woman’s team. There is NO WAY the WNBA would allow its product to be exposed that way.

By the way, the pathetic story about a D-1 woman’s game allegedly being played with a man’s ball…. I’ve picked up a woman’s sized ball at the gym a few times and INSTANTANEOUSLY knew it wasn’t a regulation sized ball. I can’t believe that these girls who practice hours every day didn’t notice the difference IMMEDIATELY.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
February 5th, 2023 at 7:15:31 AM permalink

By the way, the pathetic story about a D-1 woman’s game allegedly being played with a man’s ball…. I’ve picked up a woman’s sized ball at the gym a few times and INSTANTANEOUSLY knew it wasn’t a regulation sized ball. I can’t believe that these girls who practice hours every day didn’t notice the difference IMMEDIATELY.
link to original post

The person making that claim is Kara Lawson, who is a very impressive person because of her intellect and knowledge of both the men's and women's game. She was one of the very first women to be used in analyzing men's basketball games, she has played BB in college, the WNBA and the Olympics. She has called NBA games. She is universally respected by almost everyone in sports and sports media for her integrity and truthfullness. She is crackajack smart and I suspect that you haven't thought of any angle on this issue that she hasn't considered.

I'm not certain, but it was my understanding that when the game started that the players immediately complained to their coaches that it was a men's ball. The game ball was different than the ball they used in warm-ups.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 5th, 2023 at 8:00:36 AM permalink

link to original post

The mens small college team would annihilate any pro woman’s team.

didn't know about the smaller ball - that does make a difference - the women would need time practice with the larger ball
you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think you appreciate how bad some small college mens teams are
many of the starters on many teams were not stars in h.s ball - they were starters but were not stars
some of those teams, not all of course, are really bad - for many, it's basically an ordinary h.s. team, except because they're older - they're physically stronger
and I think you may be underestimating how good those women are - which is very good - considering their sex

comparing small college ball - to major college ball -
every single player on the team in major college ball was a star in h.s. - and many of the starters would have been among the top 15 h.s. players in any large city

it would make a big difference as to how the refs called the game
if they let them play loose - not many calls - the men would have an advantage because they are stronger
but that would be their only advantage

you are correct that the WNBA Management would not allow such a game to happen -

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 5, 2023
billryan
billryan 
February 5th, 2023 at 9:16:31 AM permalink
I don't think a WNBA team would beat a top NYC High School team but that's because of size and strength differences. It's a niche sport that will never be as popular as the NBA, but it's important to remember how far they have gotten in the 25+ years the league has existed.
When I was in HS, most schools didn't have a girls BB team, and a lot of states played a game with six players on each side, three of who couldn't go over the half-court line. New Jersey played six-on-six, but only two players couldn't pass half-court.
Last edited by: billryan on Feb 5, 2023
billryan
billryan 
February 5th, 2023 at 9:22:48 AM permalink
I just found out about The Granny League. Based in the mid-west, it's an all-female fifty-and-over league, where they play six-on-six and wear uniforms based on 1920s women's athletic fashion.
All the teams wear identical uniforms except for their socks. You can check it out on youtube, but it is cringe-worthy.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 5th, 2023 at 9:27:06 AM permalink
My point is that the cry baby coach only vociferously complained after her team lost to the other team which played with the exact same ball! To my knowledge there is no evidence of the COACH complaining to the refs DURING the first half.
Can you imagine a men’s basketball coach allowing a game to proceed after being informed the ball was not a college basketball?

I’ve played with a bunch of D1 womens players, and D3 mens players. The mens players were EXPONENTIALLY better. In our pick up game the D1 women players would be below average. (Meaning out of 10, 7th or 8th best).
billryan
billryan 
February 5th, 2023 at 9:35:07 AM permalink

My point is that the cry baby coach only vociferously complained after her team lost to the other team which played with the exact same ball! To my knowledge there is no evidence of the COACH complaining to the refs DURING the first half.
Can you imagine a men’s basketball coach allowing a game to proceed after being informed the ball was not a college basketball?

I’ve played with a bunch of D1 womens players, and D3 mens players. The mens players were EXPONENTIALLY better. In our pick up game the D1 women players would be below average. (Meaning out of 10, 7th or 8th best).
link to original post

How many years ago was that? I think the gap is still huge but it is smaller than it was when we were in college. I had a friend in high school who dominated her girl's church league and could hold her own against most boys as a freshman. By senior year, we had all gotten taller and added muscle where she didn't. She got a scholarship to some New England school but damaged her knee and I don't think she ever played.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 5th, 2023 at 9:39:44 AM permalink

Quote: billryan

I don't think a WNBA team would beat a top NYC High School team but that's because of size and strength differences.

a top NYC h.s. team would beat many small college teams and beat them badly____________guaranteed

I've seen some of the great Dematha teams of the past (Morgan Wooten is now gone - they're not the same now) play.
many small colleges against those teams - that would be a joke - they wouldn't have a prayer

off the subject of hoops -
I'm not a fan - I don't know their names - but I sometimes watch pro wrestling
to me, it's unbelievable the stuff the women can do now
growing up, I never would have dreamed that women could do stunts like that

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 5, 2023
  • Jump to: