64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 2nd, 2023 at 8:52:32 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

and about 10:30 tonight Georgia will have 4

that's twice as many as TCU

I will bet you that doesn't happen. I don't see anyway that TCU loses to Georgia tonight. They are only 13.5 point underdogs.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 2nd, 2023 at 8:57:23 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I will bet you that doesn't happen. I don't see anyway that TCU loses to Georgia tonight. They are only 13.5 point underdogs.
link to original post

wanna rub it in__________hunh?_______________okay_________________I'll remember that______________(-:/

Please don't feed the trolls
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
January 2nd, 2023 at 9:02:51 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

I heard on the radio after the COLTS -giants game,the defender who caused colts QB foles to be taken off the field to the back was doing snow angels while medics we're loading him up to be taken to the back. Can someone confirm this tacky display of sportsmanship? Heard no sanctions or fines or penalties were called on this guy
link to original post

I have seen the video on Twitter. It was unsportsmanlike in my layman opinion and should have been flagged.

I hope Foles is okay. Looked kinda like convulsions from a head injury but someone said in the replies to the video that it was bruised ribs. Either way not great.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 2nd, 2023 at 9:08:45 AM permalink
deleted - bad post

I was bragging about my hoops picks from way back

and then I realized that many had surpassed that in the WOV NFL picks

so my brag didn't make a lot of sense

it's not one of my better days

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 2, 2023
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 2nd, 2023 at 9:10:59 AM permalink

Quote: gordonm888

The TCU Horned Frogs last won a national title in 1938 - 85 years ago
link to original post

At any given time there are over 100 teams representing their college/university in "Division 1" of college football. How often do you expect any given college to be national champs?

TCU has been national champs in football twice in the last 100 years, Univ. of Georgia. has been football champions 3 times in 1942, 1980, and 2021.
link to original post

that means Georgia has been National Champs 50% more often than TCU

Yale has 18 Championships

Alabama 16

Princeton 15

Notre Dame 13

Michigan 9

USC 9

Harvard 8

Ohio State 8

Oklahoma 7

and Minnesota 6

link to original post

Univ of Tennessee claims six national championships: 1938, 1940, 1950, 1951, 1967, 1998. Not sure how they can claim 1967????

Some web sites say that Tennessee has 8 other unclaimed national championships: 1914, 1927, 1928, 1931, 1939, 1956, 1985, 1989.
I do know that over 7 years from 1926 to 1932, Tennessee lost only two games in total. They had one tie and zero losses in 5 of those years. They definitely were an elite football team.

In 1914, Tennessee's record was 9-0. They won 5 of their games by these scores: 89-0, 55-3, 27-0, 66-0 and 67-0. But the national sports media was concentrated in the Northeast, particularly in the Ivy Leagues, and tended to ignore the southern colleges when it came to voting a national championship.

Basically, the notion of National Championship pre-1998 seems to be treated as ambiguous and/or subjective by many of the schools and by sports journalists.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 2nd, 2023 at 10:51:30 AM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

I heard on the radio after the COLTS -giants game,the defender who caused colts QB foles to be taken off the field to the back was doing snow angels while medics we're loading him up to be taken to the back. Can someone confirm this tacky display of sportsmanship? Heard no sanctions or fines or penalties were called on this guy
link to original post

I have seen the video on Twitter. It was unsportsmanlike in my layman opinion and should have been flagged.

I hope Foles is okay. Looked kinda like convulsions from a head injury but someone said in the replies to the video that it was bruised ribs. Either way not great.
link to original post

I thought there should have been a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct on the snow angels, but I don't believe he knew the QB was injured.
I didn't see him doing any snow angels when they were removing the QB. He did them immediately after the hit, long before any medics were on the field.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 2nd, 2023 at 11:31:35 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: AitchTheLetter

link to original post

link to original post

I thought there should have been a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct on the snow angels, but I don't believe he knew the QB was injured.
I didn't see him doing any snow angels when they were removing the QB. He did them immediately after the hit, long before any medics were on the field.
link to original post

I agree. He didn’t initially realize QB was injured. But the snow angels within a few feet of the downed QB is unsportsmanlike nonetheless.

The NFL never learns. Yeah, it was ‘ribs’ that had Foles convulsing….
DRich
DRich
January 2nd, 2023 at 1:53:14 PM permalink
What a comeback by Tulane. Go Green Wave.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 3rd, 2023 at 12:29:04 AM permalink

Damar Hamlin of the Bills is in critical condition after taking a hit last night - he went in to cardiac arrest

hopes and prayers for him

edit - I just saw an update that said his vital signs have returned to normal

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jan/03/nfl-game-halted-after-buffalo-bills-player-damar-hamlin-collapses

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 3, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 3rd, 2023 at 3:56:24 AM permalink

people love to talk about the decline of horse racing - but that's not the whole story - not for the very popular venues such as Santa Anita and Saratoga

Santa Anita set a record handle on its opening day of more than $26 million

there were 41,000 in attendance

https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/santa-anita-sets-all-time-opening-day-handle-record/

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 3rd, 2023 at 7:21:26 AM permalink

Damar Hamlin of the Bills is in critical condition after taking a hit last night - he went in to cardiac arrest

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jan/03/nfl-game-halted-after-buffalo-bills-player-damar-hamlin-collapses

Vital signs may be normal but he is on a ventilator and no reports that he has regained consciousness.

link to original post

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
unJon
January 5th, 2023 at 4:57:31 AM permalink
The Texas A&M Aggies were losing their basketball game 1-0 before the game started last night.
ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 94
January 5th, 2023 at 2:04:33 PM permalink

Vital signs may be normal but he is on a ventilator and no reports that he has regained consciousness.

link to original post

link to original post

Some great news, even though he is “ still critically ill ”.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nfl/damar-hamlin-awake-and-neurologically-intact-after-terrifying-collapse/news-story/8c671c9c719b820f766158022ae27096
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2023 at 2:22:04 PM permalink
Quote: ksdjdj

link to original post

link to original post

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nfl/damar-hamlin-awake-and-neurologically-intact-after-terrifying-collapse/news-story/8c671c9c719b820f766158022ae27096
link to original post

Pro athletes are in amazing shape. I imagine he does more cardio in a week than many do in their lifetime, and it has to make a difference with his recovery..
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
ksdjdj
January 5th, 2023 at 5:29:12 PM permalink

Pro athletes are in amazing shape. I imagine he does more cardio in a week than many do in their lifetime, and it has to make a difference with his recovery..
link to original post

Also, there are few places in the world - outside of a hospital- where you would get so much expert medical care so quickly as on an NFL football field. The rapid, expert care probably made an enormous difference. I hate giving any kind of credit to the NFL, but they deserve credit in this instance.

When it's my turn to have a life-threatening medical crisis, I hope I'm playing safety on Monday Night Football!
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
ksdjdj
January 5th, 2023 at 5:58:26 PM permalink

link to original post

Also, there are few places in the world - outside of a hospital- where you would get so much expert medical care so quickly as on an NFL football field. The rapid, expert care probably made an enormous difference. I hate giving any kind of credit to the NFL, but they deserve credit in this instance.

When it's my turn to have a life-threatening medical crisis, I hope I'm playing safety on Monday Night Football!
link to original post

A few million prayers can't hurt.
ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 94
January 5th, 2023 at 8:46:54 PM permalink

Quote: ksdjdj

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Around a couple of days' ago, I found this article.
It was written in mid-2016, and I thought it was interesting (even though I had to look up a lot of the word meanings).
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 6th, 2023 at 8:10:05 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

This is the reason it is stupid for me to make on line bets! OG just pm’d me to arrange for his payment to me for this bet I won!

check out the link , didn't repeat all that

Quote:

I frankly had no recollection, EVEN AFTER re-reading it! OG wants to pay me now, but I will wait until we meet again, and if we don’t, then thats too bad for me!
link to original post

I got way behind in this thread [probably due to getting killed in some sports bets at the time] .............. and I didn't see this till now!

Very gracious of you, Soopoo. The thing to think about is, you know damn well I'd be wanting my money if I had won!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 6th, 2023 at 12:04:31 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

This is the reason it is stupid for me to make on line bets! OG just pm’d me to arrange for his payment to me for this bet I won!

check out the link , didn't repeat all that

Quote:

I frankly had no recollection, EVEN AFTER re-reading it! OG wants to pay me now, but I will wait until we meet again, and if we don’t, then thats too bad for me!
link to original post

I got way behind in this thread [probably due to getting killed in some sports bets at the time] .............. and I didn't see this till now!

Very gracious of you, Soopoo. The thing to think about is, you know damn well I'd be wanting my money if I had won!
link to original post

That’s why, in general, my bets here are low enough that remembering or forgetting is minor!

I still know I owe someone, I ‘think’. $5. That Tom Brady would have been retired TWO YEARS AGO. or something similar….?
DRich
DRich
January 6th, 2023 at 1:39:31 PM permalink

That’s why, in general, my bets here are low enough that remembering or forgetting is minor!

I still know I owe someone, I ‘think’. $5. That Tom Brady would have been retired TWO YEARS AGO. or something similar….?
link to original post

I believe I still owe someone here a few coffee's. Fortunately, I think he is older than I am so hopefully he will forget before I have to pay him.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 6th, 2023 at 1:57:12 PM permalink

link to original post

I believe I still owe someone here a few coffee's. Fortunately, I think he is older than I am so hopefully he will forget before I have to pay him.
link to original post

That was me. And you paid me!

Back on topic. The Sabres have a player named Tage Thompson. He had a breakout year last year, certainly putting him as a top 30 player in the league. But it was a year unlike any of his previous years. The Sabres took a flyer on him and signed him to a 7 year contract at $7 million per. It already is a huge bargain. I watch lots of NHL hockey. I think he is the best player in the world now not named McDavid. It was a big deal signing him to that contract. A few years back the Sabres signed Jeff Skinner to a long term deal at over $8 million per year. He grossly underperformed the contract for the past few years and it has hamstrung the Sabres in this salary cap era. They also were paying Kyle Okposo $5 million per year for a while due to overpaying after a single good season.
DRich
DRich
January 6th, 2023 at 2:44:34 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That was me. And you paid me!

Back on topic. The Sabres have a player named Tage Thompson. He had a breakout year last year, certainly putting him as a top 30 player in the league. But it was a year unlike any of his previous years. The Sabres took a flyer on him and signed him to a 7 year contract at $7 million per. It already is a huge bargain. I watch lots of NHL hockey. I think he is the best player in the world now not named McDavid. It was a big deal signing him to that contract. A few years back the Sabres signed Jeff Skinner to a long term deal at over $8 million per year. He grossly underperformed the contract for the past few years and it has hamstrung the Sabres in this salary cap era. They also were paying Kyle Okposo $5 million per year for a while due to overpaying after a single good season.
link to original post

I think his father played for the Kings in the early 90's.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 8th, 2023 at 5:49:46 AM permalink

yesterday's line put up by the books gives an excellent example of why the NBA lines can be beat
not every line of course - but a few - by being very selective
in the morning they had the Lakers 8.5 pt. dogs to the Kings - it got knocked down later to 7.5 by the public

there is no way the Lakers should have been 8.5 or 7.5 point dogs to the Kings - Lebron was just back from his injury - and got 25 the previous game and almost had a triple double

never mind the result - that's irrelevant

the NBA opening lines are roughly similar to the morning lines in horse racing

everybody that knows racing knows that the morning lines are a complete and total joke - the accurate lines are the final odds determined by the bettors themselves

the NBA opening lines are not nearly as bad as the morning lines of racing - but there are errors

if there are 6 games for the day there are 18 basic lines put up by the books - 6 spread, 6 over/under and 6 moneyline - I'm not referring to parlays

there is a very good chance that one or more of those lines is just plain wrong as was yesterday's line on the Lakers/Kings game

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 8, 2023
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2023 at 8:27:09 AM permalink

yesterday's line put up by the books gives an excellent example of why the NBA lines can be beat
in the morning they had the Lakers 8.5 pt. dogs to the Kings - it got knocked down later to 7.5 by the public

there is no way the Lakers should have been 8.5 or 7.5 point dogs to the Kings - Lebron was just back from his injury - and got 25 the previous game and almost had a triple double

everybody that knows racing knows that the morning lines are a complete and total joke - the accurate lines are the final odds determined by the bettors themselves

the NBA opening lines are not nearly as bad as the morning lines of racing - but there are errors

if there are 6 games for the day there are 18 basic lines put up by the books - 6 spread, 6 over/under and 6 moneyline - I'm not referring to parlays

there is a very good chance that one or more of those lines is just plain wrong as was yesterday's line on the Lakers/Kings game

link to original post

The morning line on horses is meaningless b because you aren't getting it when you bet. If a horse opens at 10-1 and is bet down to 2-1, you get paid 2-1.
If the Nets open at -5 and you bet it, you get -5 even if the odds shift and the final line is pickem.
Apples and oranges, no?
With horses, it doesn't matter when you bet, with sports betting it does.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 8th, 2023 at 9:30:22 AM permalink

link to original post

The morning line on horses is meaningless b because you aren't getting it when you bet. If a horse opens at 10-1 and is bet down to 2-1, you get paid 2-1.
If the Nets open at -5 and you bet it, you get -5 even if the odds shift and the final line is pickem.
Apples and oranges, no?
With horses, it doesn't matter when you bet, with sports betting it does.
link to original post

that's true except the morning line on horses is not meaningless - it's an earnest attempt by the track handicapper to give a realistic picture of the race and it is used as a guide by the bettors - to a small extent it's accurate - a horse that the track capper has at 5/2 is 99% of the time better than a horse he priced at 30/1

because you are able to bet on the opening line at the NBA DOES NOT MEAN that the lines are accurate - they are an attempt to be accurate but they often are not

the track capper has the exact same intention as the capper at the NBA books - to provide an accurate line - the NBA capper has a much easier job because it's one team against another team - the racing capper often has as many as 12 horses in a race to deal with

the NBA's capper's lines will be changed by the public betting too - the difference being that the early bettor gets fixed odds - generally not so in horse racing -

horse racing may be changing - Monmouth park now offers fixed odds the same as sports betting - but only to those physically at the track

of course it matters when you bet at horse racing
if you bet very early you will be betting well before the odds have been largely established by the bettors themselves - which are the true odds when the takeout is factored out

so you will have bet without knowing the actual odds - bet very early and think you're getting 6/1 - you may only get 3/1

if you bet just before post time - at the large tracks only - the odds you see before you bet will be largely the true odds - except in instances when computer teams crush down a fave - but there is so much $$$ in the pools at tracks like Santa Anita and Saratoga - that usually the late crushers only make a small difference

at smaller tracks with little money in the pools the odds fluctuate wildly and you may never know the true odds no matter when you bet - you will only know them when the race is over

DRich
DRich
January 8th, 2023 at 1:07:23 PM permalink
Did anyone see the end of the Jets/Dolphins game? It looked like on the last play a safety was called but the points were never awarded, Seemed strange to me.
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2023 at 1:22:27 PM permalink
The official certainly signaled safety, but perhaps time had expired.
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2023 at 1:23:44 PM permalink
This is a bonus playoff week.
DRich
DRich
January 8th, 2023 at 2:04:13 PM permalink

The official certainly signaled safety, but perhaps time had expired.
link to original post

It doesn't matter if time had expired because the play is live and counts until the play is over.

I see the score now reflects the safety. I don't know when they changed it but the game has been over for an hour or so.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 8th, 2023 at 2:56:55 PM permalink
I bemoan the recent slew of NCAA Bowl games with tons of backups because the players aren’t interested in the meaningless games.
I see the Giants have forfeited their game against the Eagles. Well, not officially. It’s 16-0 at halftime. And if there was a way the Giants could score negative points they might have.

Bills are now a 13 win team. They had 3 touchdowns from players that they picked up mid season. First time in NFL history a team that good (13 wins) has had that happen in last week!? (Not that anyone actually cares?)

Jets Dolphins first game in NFL history with 5 FG, 1 safety, and no TDs? (Not that anyone actually cares?).
DRich
DRich
January 8th, 2023 at 5:33:14 PM permalink
How about Gronkowski throwing three touchdown passes? No, not that Gronkowski. The quarterback of the South Dakota State jackrabbits as they finally take down perennial power the Bison of North Dakota State. I was sure I was going to be disappointed after that big second quarter by the Jackrabbits, I just knew North Dakota St was going to win because they always win. I am so happy to see a new champion.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 8th, 2023 at 5:49:24 PM permalink

How about Gronkowski throwing three touchdown passes? No, not that Gronkowski. The quarterback of the South Dakota State jackrabbits as they finally take down perennial power the Bison of North Dakota State. I was sure I was going to be disappointed after that big second quarter by the Jackrabbits, I just knew North Dakota St was going to win because they always win. I am so happy to see a new champion.
link to original post

You and a dozen other people….
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
January 10th, 2023 at 11:13:22 AM permalink
Stetson Bennett proved to be the BEST college football player in America last night. His overall college football career surpasses most every player in the last 15 years. 29 wins against one loss; one SEC Championship; and two National Championships where he was named Offensive Player of the game for each of those games. His stats were remarkable along with his play that brought UGA back-to-back titles one of which, a win against Ohio State in a semi-final playoff, coming back twice from 14 point deficits.

If the Heisman Committee has any integrity and stones, they would reconvene to vote a Heisman Trophy to Bennett. I do not believe there is an NCAA law or rule that would prevent such an occurrence.

The current winner, C. Williams, could not win the Pac 10 or even beat Tulane.

Where is ESPN or even Paul Feinbaum???

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
January 10th, 2023 at 11:22:55 AM permalink
I'll have whatever he is having.

Can we agree that the Series would have been better off with Bama in it?
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 10th, 2023 at 11:27:05 AM permalink

I'll have whatever he is having.

Can we agree that the Series would have been better off with Bama in it?
link to original post

Actually, NO. It was more fun seeing Saban doing slow boils being an interested commentator on the pre-game show. Man, he was pissed.

tuttigym
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 10th, 2023 at 2:24:44 PM permalink
IMO, best four teams in College FB this year were Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama and Tennessee.

Stetson Bennett is no better than the third best football player on the Georgia team - Brock Bowers and Jalen Carter are the best two.

Bennett was not even the 1st team All-Sec quarterback.

The Vol's Hendon Hooker was named SEC Offensive Player of the Year, not Stetson Bennett.

IN the championship game, Georgia's offensive line completely outmatched the TCU defensive line. There was no pressure on Bennett who was throwing to wide-open receivers who were faster, bigger and stronger than the TCU defenders. There was absolutely no TCU defender who could match up with Brock Bowers. You could have substituted any of the 10 best college quarterbacks for Stetson Bennett as Georgia Quarterback and substituted Stetson Bennett for Max Dugan as TCU QB and the game would have pretty much looked the same.

Will the NFL draft Stetson Bennett with one of their first five picks? One of their first 15 picks? Will Bennett at least be drafted by the NFL in the first round? In the 2nd round? In the third round? IMO, the answer to all those questions is No, No, No, No and No. Bennett is a 26 year-old man playing against kids that are 18-22; he was a good QB at the college level who played on a team filled with dominant, elite players. Five years from now he'll be selling cars at a dealership or coaching QBs in college.
DRich
DRich
January 10th, 2023 at 5:00:20 PM permalink

IMO, best four teams in College FB this year were Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama and Tennessee.

Stetson Bennett is no better than the third best football player on the Georgia team - Brock Bowers and Jalen Carter are the best two.

Bennett was not even the 1st team All-Sec quarterback.

The Vol's Hendon Hooker was named SEC Offensive Player of the Year, not Stetson Bennett.

IN the championship game, Georgia's offensive line completely outmatched the TCU defensive line. There was no pressure on Bennett who was throwing to wide-open receivers who were faster, bigger and stronger than the TCU defenders. There was absolutely no TCU defender who could match up with Brock Bowers. You could have substituted any of the 10 best college quarterbacks for Stetson Bennett as Georgia Quarterback and substituted Stetson Bennett for Max Dugan as TCU QB and the game would have pretty much looked the same.

Will the NFL draft Stetson Bennett with one of their first five picks? One of their first 15 picks? Will Bennett at least be drafted by the NFL in the first round? In the 2nd round? In the third round? IMO, the answer to all those questions is No, No, No, No and No. Bennett is a 26 year-old man playing against kids that are 18-22; he was a good QB at the college level who played on a team filled with dominant, elite players. Five years from now he'll be selling cars at a dealership or coaching QBs in college.
link to original post

His size is his downfall. If he was 6'2" or taller he would probably be a first round pick.
billryan
billryan
January 10th, 2023 at 6:10:51 PM permalink
I think his age is against him. He had a great career, and hope he gets a shot in the NFL.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 11th, 2023 at 4:31:00 AM permalink

sportsbooks are playing a game similar to that of blackjack pit bosses

limiting the wagers of sharps and even some who may not be so sharp - the stat mentioned in the article is 10% of bettors are getting limited

some sharps are doing the old card counter thing - showing up at casinos to make their bets wearing beards and other disguises

this really, really sucks - big time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/17/betting-limits-draft-kings-betmgm-caesars-circa/

DRich
DRich
January 11th, 2023 at 4:33:19 AM permalink

I think his age is against him. He had a great career, and hope he gets a shot in the NFL.
link to original post

Carson Wentz was the same age and was the number two pick in the draft.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 11th, 2023 at 4:40:57 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I think his ‘age’ doesn’t really work against him. What works against him is if he was good enough to be first or second rounder he would have declared for draft last year or two. I think he does get upgraded substantially because of the Championship game. I’ll guess he is a late 3rd rounder. Or early 4th round. Bears in 4th round?
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
SOOPOO
January 11th, 2023 at 4:46:54 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I think his ‘age’ doesn’t really work against him. What works against him is if he was good enough to be first or second rounder he would have declared for draft last year or two. I think he does get upgraded substantially because of the Championship game. I’ll guess he is a late 3rd rounder. Or early 4th round. Bears in 4th round?
link to original post

Jets in round 3.
billryan
billryan
January 11th, 2023 at 8:25:25 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Jets in round 3.
link to original post

He seems like a good guy. Why would you wish this upon him?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 11th, 2023 at 8:51:13 AM permalink

the stat mentioned in the article is 10% of bettors are getting limited

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/17/betting-limits-draft-kings-betmgm-caesars-circa/

link to original post

who is going to believe that 10% of the public is beating sports________?____________nobody in his right mind

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 11th, 2023 at 10:02:43 AM permalink
There is a lot of evidence that professional athletes reach a physical peak at 27 years old and then gradually decline. They may train hard and improve their skills forever, but in terms of raw physicality its 27 years of age.

So, an NFL rookie like Bennett at age 26/27 is a question mark for teams. Plus his 5'9" height and lack of ability to throw a long pass are negatives. His positives are his mental quickness and understanding of defenses, passing accuracy and foot speed. Oh, yeah -foot speed is one of those attributes that starts to decline after 27.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 11th, 2023 at 1:07:47 PM permalink
I’m thinking 6th round at best. Old, short, not an elite athlete, weak arm, he’s simply a good decision maker surrounded by players significantly better than the competition all around him. Everyone around Georgia wanted him replaced for virtually all of the 2021 season just a year ago by the backup, highly recruited JT Daniels thinking Bennet would hold them back from reaching their peak until they won the title.

I thought he had a better shot in his first two lives when he was drafted in the 7th round and went by the names Gino Torretta and Ken Dorsey, but fool me two times can’t get fooled again.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 13th, 2023 at 1:53:40 AM permalink

Purdue's 7'4" 285 pound Zach Edey is crushing the college game
the collegians don't have much chance against him - double teaming him doesn't help much - maybe try triple teaming

maybe some will be able to handle him in the pros - but I doubt it - he has improved greatly every year - now his 3rd year at Purdue

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 13th, 2023 at 2:55:34 AM permalink

Purdue's 7'4" 285 pound Zach Edey is crushing the college game
the collegians don't have much chance against him - double teaming him doesn't help much - maybe try triple teaming

maybe some will be able to handle him in the pros - but I doubt it - he has improved greatly every year - now his 3rd year at Purdue

link to original post

He’s projected to be a second round pick. Probably would have been a lottery pick over a decade ago.

His points per minute will be great, but he is going to get mercilessly hunted in the pick and roll almost every single possession he’s on the floor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 13th, 2023 at 3:12:07 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

He’s projected to be a second round pick. Probably would have been a lottery pick over a decade ago.

His points per minute will be great, but he is going to get mercilessly hunted in the pick and roll almost every single possession he’s on the floor.
link to original post

who are the top 5 college players right now________?___________thanks

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 13th, 2023 at 6:34:56 AM permalink

Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

who are the top 5 college players right now________?___________thanks

link to original post

Forgive me for deflecting here. There’s not a high degree of correlation between best college basketball player and who will be best pro now, probably a combination of age/experience and just being almost completely different games. It’s the spacing difference, unlike college at least 4 of 5 guys on the floor at all times can shoot, making it an almost requirement for all players on defense to be able to move their feet well enough to survive for a few seconds of getting switched onto a guard.

None of the top 3 picks in next years draft are playing in college and the rest of the projected lottery are all freshman.

For Eddy I’m going to make a comparison to Luka Garza, who two seasons ago was the consensus National Player of the year, another dominant upper classmen big man who can’t move his feet. Being the best college basketball player but an upper class big man got him the reward of being drafted 52nd and a non guaranteed contract. He’s currently averaging 5.1 points in only 6.7 minutes per game in his second season. The scoring per minute is star level but he’s a very situational reserve because it’s a very difficult task for the coach to find spots where they can put him on the floor without the opposing team running a layup cone drill around him on the other end.

For what it’s worth these limitations are the same reason all time scoring great Carmelo Anthony can’t get a team to sign him despite still averaging 15 points or so a game the last couple years.
  • Jump to: