5 votes (13.15%)
1 vote (2.63%)
1 vote (2.63%)

38 members have voted

kewlj
kewlj 
  • Threads: 198
July 29th, 2020 at 11:27:01 AM permalink
So just to further update: In addition to the Marlins being cancelled for the week, maybe longer, the first 2 games of the Phillies Yankees home and home series were cancelled on Monday. Now they have gone ahead and cancelled the additional 2 games between the Phillies and Yankees scheduled in New York on Wed and thurs.

AND since the yankees/phillies games are being cancelled because of concerns about the phillies, they have gone ahead and matched up the Yankees and Orioles (who should have been playing the Marlins) on about 12 hours notice, which I guess is no biggie since there are no fans involved. LOL.

The whole MLB experiment gets weirder by the minute.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
July 29th, 2020 at 11:37:39 AM permalink
I am from Cleveland originally so I still follow the Cleveland Indians. They are currently tied for the best record in baseball at 4-1. I hope they cancel the rest of their regular season games so they can go into the playoffs with an 0.800 winning percentage and probably be the top seed.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
July 30th, 2020 at 3:57:04 AM permalink
interesting article about how the books have adjusted their lines to the new realities of the major sports

from the article:

"“The biggest adjustment we’ve had to make is accounting for the lack of home-field advantage,” Mason said. “Every team and venue holds a certain value, which is baked into the lines. But when we remove the emotional and psychological element of a home advantage, the odds have to be adjusted.”

Morrow said that over-under totals on baseball are having to be adjusted because of the new rule that puts a runner on second base in extra innings. “It’s much more likely that extra innings will have multiple runs,” he said. The addition of the designated hitter in the National League will also bump up run totals in that league’s games."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/sports/coronavirus-sports-betting.html
𝘈 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.... ᴴᵉʳᵐᵃⁿ ᴹᵉˡᵛⁱˡˡᵉ
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
July 30th, 2020 at 8:02:19 AM permalink
NBA starts back up tonight and the NHL returns on Saturday.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
July 30th, 2020 at 8:17:33 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

anybody play APBA baseball?
I'm pretty sure it's still out there
I played it as a kid - had a friend who had all the stats memorized - he would always beat me
I can't remember how it's played - but I remember it was pretty fun

I played a little bit, I was still young when these games started to move to electronic versions. Loved both Earl Weaver Baseball and Pursue the Pennant. For a long time now, the best has been Diamond Mind. I've been ranked number one in their online game for over a year now. And I plan on playing as sparingly as possible to hold on to that.
TomG
TomG
July 30th, 2020 at 8:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Did you guys as youngsters have a copy of the Baseball Encyclopedia? I was probably 10 when my Dad got me one for Christmas. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent reading that book. It had the stats for every major league player in it. Today we take the internet for granite.

I got the first Total Baseball for Christmas around the same age. Read it so much, it quickly became raggedy and filled with notes. I was fascinated by the Total Player Rating based on linear weights. I'm glad to see much of that research still holds up today.
TomG
TomG
July 30th, 2020 at 8:26:16 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Ruth had a tremendous advantage with Lou Gerhig batting behind him. Without Gerhig, I think Ruth would have been walked 250-300 times a season. There will never be another combination like those two.

Had Gehrig not been on the team, it would have been an advantage for the Yankees for Ruth to walk that much. Even in his very best season, in at-bats when he didn't walk, he made an out 64% of the time, and hit a home run only 11% of the time. Bob Meusel would have been hitting directly behind Ruth and he had a .902 ops. Opponents would have been much better off throwing strikes to Ruth.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
July 31st, 2020 at 2:13:51 PM permalink
MLB is now going to go with 7 inning games on days when a doubleheader is scheduled.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-agreement-on-seven-inning-doubleheaders
I think the goal is to make it through this "regular" season quickly and get to the modified playoffs.
Some teams already have completed 7 games. This irregular season is going to be over very fast imo.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
July 31st, 2020 at 2:57:50 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Had Gehrig not been on the team, it would have been an advantage for the Yankees for Ruth to walk that much. he made an out 64% of the time, and hit a home run only 11% of the time.

I'm not so sure about that
in 1921 they walked him 145 times in 693 plate appearances - more than one in 5
he still got 168 RBIs
how many RBIs would the Yankees have lost if they walked him 3 out of 4 times?........................a lot
in addition to his 59 home runs that year he hit 44 doubles and 16 triples - more extra base hits that weren't homers than homers

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ruthba01.shtml
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 1, 2020
𝘈 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.... ᴴᵉʳᵐᵃⁿ ᴹᵉˡᵛⁱˡˡᵉ
Commish
Commish
  • Threads: 2
July 31st, 2020 at 6:28:10 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

anybody play APBA baseball?
I'm pretty sure it's still out there
I played it as a kid - had a friend who had all the stats memorized - he would always beat me
I can't remember how it's played - but I remember it was pretty fun

When I was a kid we had a 40 game APBA season with 8 teams. We even kept stats. On a rainy day we would play all day. Loved it,

• Jump to: