64 members have voted

billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
July 1st, 2023 at 5:14:30 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: billryan

Quote: lilredrooster

Showtime hit this almost 500 foot blast last night - one of the longest ever at Angels Stadium - WOW_______!!!

he's batting over .300 with 30 homers and 67 RBIs mid season

and he's 7-3 on the mound with a 3.02 era - unreal

link to original post

He will look good in pinstripes next year and going forward.
link to original post

Judge got $40 mil per year. Ohtani $43 mil per year x 10 years?
link to original post

I think it will take $500 million to sign him. It's a matter of how many years it will be for.
Ohtani passed on the Yankees out of high school and again before he signed with the Angels, so I'm not optimistic about him playing in da Bronx
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 2nd, 2023 at 1:07:14 AM permalink

everybody knows and everybody says that "pro wrestling is fake"
but those stunts are dangerous and can cause real pain
Darren Drozdov - a former NFL player turned wrestler just passed - r.i.p. - he was only 54 - he was rendered paralyzed by a pro wrestling move gone wrong

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2023/07/01/darren-drozdov-former-nfl-player-pro-wrestler-dies-at-54

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan 
July 2nd, 2023 at 1:41:45 AM permalink
Speaking of wrestling, one of the Paul Brothers was in a six-way match on the WWE Premium show from London, and he was both entertaining and fearless. He's been on three shows and managed to pull a highlight reel move in each match.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 2nd, 2023 at 2:25:09 PM permalink
I know it’s ‘only golf’, but Bernhardt Langer just coasted to an easy victory in the US Senior Open. He’s 65, competing against 50 year olds. The negative changes (aging!) our bodies experience from 50 to 65 are significant! It’s hard for a 60 year old to compete…. 65 is ridiculous….
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 2nd, 2023 at 3:37:48 PM permalink

I know it’s ‘only golf’, but Bernhardt Langer just coasted to an easy victory in the US Senior Open. He’s 65, competing against 50 year olds. The negative changes (aging!) our bodies experience from 50 to 65 are significant! It’s hard for a 60 year old to compete…. 65 is ridiculous….
link to original post

He has been on an incredible run the last 10 years.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 4th, 2023 at 9:32:39 AM permalink
Worst Name in Sports?

This is Ryan Peniston.

He's British and competing in the first round of Wimbledon, currently ranked the 267th best player in the world.

In general, I think it is prudent to avoid names that may promise more than one can deliver.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 4th, 2023 at 9:38:58 AM permalink
was recently listening to a baseball game where they were discussing the new pitching machines. They have them now where if you want to practice on the very pitches some pitcher has, it will deliver them to you ... emulates them exactly, same velocity and spin action etc
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 4th, 2023 at 1:41:09 PM permalink
this may seem like a comical story but its really not
Wimbledon is easing its rules requiring women tennis players to wear white underwear for obvious reasons
these rules were no doubt initiated in the beginning by men

men telling women they have to wear white underwear_________!!!

this does not make men look good at all

https://www.euronews.com/culture/2022/11/08/wimbledon-to-ease-rules-on-white-underwear-for-female-players

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 6th, 2023 at 4:28:07 PM permalink
Some of us posted earlier about rare events in MLB, and now I just found this:

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
gordonm888
July 6th, 2023 at 6:00:58 PM permalink
Tommy John made three errors on one play, something no one else has done.
I believe an Os pitcher in the 70s made three successful pickoffs in one inning.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 9th, 2023 at 3:11:10 AM permalink

a look back at a legendary sports rivalry - Chrissy Evert vs. Martina Navratilova
I've never really been a tennis fan but I enjoyed watching them compete against each other tremendously
they're best friends now and both of them have cancer and they are supporting each other

DRich
DRich
July 9th, 2023 at 5:36:23 AM permalink
I saw yesterday the Tampa Bay Rays pitcher struck out four batters in one inning. I know it isn't as rare as some other feats mentioned, but it still doesn't happen very often.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 9th, 2023 at 5:46:50 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I saw yesterday the Tampa Bay Rays pitcher struck out four batters in one inning. I know it isn't as rare as some other feats mentioned, but it still doesn't happen very often.
link to original post

it's a great feat - but still - it seems weird to me that they use the terminology "struck out"

because they player wasn't out - he got to first when the catcher dropped the ball

if the batter had 2 strikes - and the pitcher then threw a wild pitch - the batter could swing and miss intentionally striking out knowing he could get to first on the wild pitch

and the pitcher would still get credited with a strikeout - that seems crazy

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 9, 2023
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2023 at 12:31:44 PM permalink
Wilt! I know one or two guys around here like them some old hoops videos.

Interesting new series analyzing all time offensive greats from the channel, I linked the summary video from the concluded series of greatest all time "3 year peaks" since 1977 series as well.

Interesting to me to learn from the offensive foul at 3:10 mark how little offensive contact they allowed in those days,and contrasting it to Shaq being allowed to bully his way through defenders decades later.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2023 at 1:42:19 PM permalink

thanks for that mac - that was really interesting
my fave back in the day memory:
I saw Earl (The Pearl) Monroe's first NBA game at the Baltimore Civic Center
before he even came there was a lot of talk - he was a legend before he ever stepped on an NBA court - he averaged 42 p.p.g for a small Division 2 college
the atmosphere was electric - nobody had ever seen a player like that before -
he fed Gus Johnson - the Honeycomb - behind his back and backwards over his head for some spectacular dunks
I'll never forget this - and I don't even remember who the Bullets played - I only remember him and the show he put on

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 18, 2023
billryan
billryan 
July 18th, 2023 at 4:21:34 PM permalink

thanks for that mac - that was really interesting
my fave back in the day memory:
I saw Earl (The Pearl) Monroe's first NBA game at the Baltimore Civic Center
before he even came there was a lot of talk - he was a legend before he ever stepped on an NBA court - he averaged 42 p.p.g for a small Division 2 college
the atmosphere was electric - nobody had ever seen a player like that before -
he fed Gus Johnson - the Honeycomb - behind his back and backwards over his head for some spectacular dunks
I'll never forget this - and I don't even remember who the Bullets played - I only remember him and the show he put on

link to original post

He really toned his game back when he came to the Knicks. Knick fans never really got the player we saw when he came to NY as a visitor, but he and Walt Fraizer were an all-time backcourt. I think Monroe made everyone on that fabled team better.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 19th, 2023 at 8:35:36 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Shaq being allowed to bully his way through defenders decades later

imho Shaq should never have been allowed to bang people under the basket like that
if that's not an offensive foul then what is_____? - you have to knock the player flat on his back like it's football_________?

I believe they let him get away with it because of his rep and being a superstar
an average player doing that and the whistle would have blown

gutless refereeing

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 19, 2023
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 19th, 2023 at 4:12:33 PM permalink

imho Shaq should never have been allowed to bang people under the basket like that
if that's not an offensive foul then what is_____? - you have to knock the player flat on his back like it's football_________?

I believe they let him get away with it because of his rep and being a superstar

gutless refereeing

link to original post

Most basketball experts say the exact opposite. That Shaq would take hits not called fouls that would be a foul against any other player in the league.
You are probably right. So are they.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 20th, 2023 at 12:28:00 AM permalink

gutless refereeing

link to original post

Most basketball experts say the exact opposite. That Shaq would take hits not called fouls that would be a foul against any other player in the league.
You are probably right. So are they.
link to original post

It definitely went both ways as with his strength and explosion combination the only way to stop him was to maul him. Shaq probably didn’t mind though as he could dish it out and definitely didn’t like going to the free throw line himself.

Shaq totally accelerated rim and basket structure engineering/technology…...remember him taking down the entire basket structure with a dunk in his magic years.

You play the game the way the era you played in allows the game to be played. Some modern fans think the old timers couldn’t handle the ball that well, ignoring that pretty much any crossover today is a carry in another era’s rule book.

That type of physicality allowed by the offense in the post imo likely was a reason for the start of the flopping epidemic we have today.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Jul 20, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2023 at 2:53:41 AM permalink
when the new NBA season begins we will get to see Victor Webanyama

he will show the amazing evolution of the big man into a complete player capable of doing anything on the court -
skills that in earlier years only much smaller players were capable of

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 20, 2023
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 20th, 2023 at 7:11:31 AM permalink

when the new NBA season begins we will get to see Victor Webanyama

he will show the amazing evolution of the big man into a complete player capable of doing anything on the court -
skills that in earlier years only much smaller players were capable of

link to original post

I have taken my son to Cleveland to see Lebron, and earlier to Toronto to see Jordan. Once schedule comes out we will be making a trip to one of those cities to see Victor.

Las Vegas will be hosting the in season ‘tournament finals’ game. I’m guessing that will be a tough ticket to get!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
July 20th, 2023 at 7:41:12 AM permalink
Pre-draft, Jay Bilas said about Victor Wembanyana: "If you want to know why people are excited about him, don't ask me. Just watch him play."

I've shown videos of Victor W. playing to people who are not basketball fans and their reaction is OMG!
billryan
billryan 
July 20th, 2023 at 7:58:04 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Pre-draft, Jay Bilas said about Victor Wembanyana: "If you want to know why people are excited about him, don't ask me. Just watch him play."

I've shown videos of Victor W. playing to people who are not basketball fans and their reaction is OMG!
link to original post

He didn't look very good in his first game in Las Vegas. He was manhandled in the post.
He looked much better in the second game, but I'm not convinced he will be a dominant player this season.
He is young and still has to fill out and mature. I think the expectations are a bit unrealistic for this year.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 20th, 2023 at 9:20:29 AM permalink

Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

He didn't look very good in his first game in Las Vegas. He was manhandled in the post.
He looked much better in the second game, but I'm not convinced he will be a dominant player this season.
He is young and still has to fill out and mature. I think the expectations are a bit unrealistic for this year.
link to original post

If you made me pick a player to lead the league in blocks I’d pick VW. I think he’ll be a 20/10/5 player unless he is put on a silly low minutes restriction. He does have a coach who (I think?) will be able to tailor a game plan towards his strengths.
He has been playing with grown men overseas, of course not as talented as he will find in the NBA. You may be right. I may be right. I’m looking forward to finding out.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 20th, 2023 at 3:25:02 PM permalink
The ball looks hilarious in his hands in a still frame when he’s taking a jump shot. Looks like a tennis ball.

Historically as a prospect I think the closest comp would be Ralph Sampson. Sampson disappointed a little but think he is one of those guys who would have been much better in today’s NBA than in his era.
billryan
billryan 
July 20th, 2023 at 4:15:39 PM permalink
I hope he stays healthy and grows into an Uber-Durant type player, but I think it will take some time. Are rookie contracts for three years?
DRich
DRich
July 20th, 2023 at 4:42:51 PM permalink

I hope he stays healthy and grows into an Uber-Durant type player, but I think it will take some time. Are rookie contracts for three years?
link to original post

He signed a four year contract but only two are guaranteed.

I think he will be a very good player this year and maybe even make the All-Star team. I do not expect him to be an all time great in his first year.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 20th, 2023 at 5:05:57 PM permalink

link to original post

First round is 4 years, as noted by drich 2 guaranteed, guarantee dates for 3rd and 4th season are end of October in 2nd and 3rd seasons, very rare for 3rd year to be declined. Almost any player that “makes” it will take 7-8 years to hit unrestricted free agency.

Second round contract structure varies greatly, picks 30-40ish usually 3-4 years with 1 guaranteed; after 40 generally no guaranteed years unless they’re drafted to a team in the luxury tax, the after tax penalty savings from the last roster spot going to a second round rookie will be several million with rookie minimum contract near 1 million less than a second or third year minimum. Clippers, Bucks, Sixers and Warriors have used the latter strategy often in recent years.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 21st, 2023 at 3:46:34 AM permalink
much joy in the DC area as the sale of the Commanders has been finalized and owner Dan Snyder has been pushed out for various reasons by an NFL investigation
I'm not joining in the celebration -
the team hasn't had a winning record since 2016
all of the losing years can't be blamed on Snyder - that's ridiculous
Rivera is still the Head Coach - upcoming 4th year - he has 2 losing seasons under his belt and last year the team was 8-8-1
the likely starting QB is Sam Howell who has played in only one NFL game and is basically a complete and total question mark
it's a very long road for the DC team to get back to the greatness that was once there - and not much of a chance it will happen in the near future

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 21, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 21st, 2023 at 7:15:43 AM permalink
one last (from me anyway) NBA back in the day post
when I saw the '67 76ers who finally beat Bill Russell and the Celts to get the Title - they were by far the best team I had ever seen
of course, they had Wilt - the great shining superstar
but they had 5 other great (imo) players - here's how I rank them:

Hal Greer - shot a jumper for his free throws - the only player I've ever seen do that
Chet Walker - dynamic offensive player
Billy Cunningham - explosive off the bench
Luke Jackson - a monster inside
Wally Jones - explosive off the bench

Wilt finished the year with incredibly - 24 p.p.g. with a .683 fg % - 24 rebounds and 8 assists per game

beginning at 6:10 in the vid you can watch them dethrone the Celtics in the playoffs

until getting beat in '67 the Celts had won 8 Championships in a row - which is the longest Championship streak in U.S. professional sports history

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
July 23rd, 2023 at 2:12:08 AM permalink
this is my fave boxing highlight vid from YT
really brutal fight between George Foreman and Ron Lyle
it's not a famously well known fight
Lyle, a big underdog, incredibly, knocked Foreman down twice - but Foreman recovered and got the K.O.
Foreman called Lyle the hardest hitter he ever faced

the first time I watched this - I was mesmerized

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 23rd, 2023 at 6:24:50 AM permalink
Brian Harman is trying to win the British Open. As he tees off today he has a 5 shot lead. Mostly because he over the first three rounds had 44 putts to make of 10 feet or less. He is 44 out of 44. For anyone who golfs you know how ridiculous that is. Of course a bunch of those may be shorties after a missed first putt…. But 44….
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
July 24th, 2023 at 2:09:23 AM permalink
Irish Micky Ward vs. Arturio Gatti - what a wonderful gem this is - this YT highlight vid -

the 9th round starts at 2.22 - watch Arturio go down from a vicious body shot - hear the commentator speculate that he won't be able to recover

the 9th round, and actually the entire fight - this is the stuff of legends

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 24, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
July 28th, 2023 at 2:58:18 AM permalink
highlights Erik Morales vs Marco Antonio Barrera 3 - unreal - has to be among the greatest fights ever

quote the commentator - "it's a street fight in Las Vegas between the 2 greatest Mexican fighters of their generation"

rounds 11 & 12 starting at 5.29 are just amazing

billryan
billryan 
July 28th, 2023 at 10:43:15 AM permalink
Before signing his then record-breaking deal with the Packers, Reggie White, an ordained minister, said he would look to God to tell him where he should go.
Years later, then Green Bay coach Mike Holmgren confessed he'd left a message on White's answering machine that said
"Reggie, this God. Go to Green Bay."
DRich
DRich
July 28th, 2023 at 3:48:16 PM permalink

Before signing his then record-breaking deal with the Packers, Reggie White, an ordained minister, said he would look to God to tell him where he should go.
Years later, then Green Bay coach Mike Holmgren confessed he'd left a message on White's answering machine that said
link to original post

If that is true, it is awesome.
billryan
billryan 
July 28th, 2023 at 4:00:58 PM permalink

link to original post

If that is true, it is awesome.
link to original post

Holmgren told the story in 1994 and has repeated it over the years. I assume Reggie took it to indicate how far Holmgren was willing to go.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 31st, 2023 at 4:49:38 PM permalink
Felix “Tito” Trinidad was one of if not the best Puerto Rican boxers of all time, a welterweight and middleweight champion who never lost a match below 160 lbs. Trinidad was on top of the boxing world in the late ‘90’s holding the title undefeated for over 9 years defeating the likes of Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho, and Oscar De La Hoya before first losing to Bernard Hopkins in 2001. The man couldn’t really slip a good jab but had tremendous stamina and threw bombs with the best of them.

Tito’s best win of his career came in 1999, outlasting prime Oscar De La Hoya by coming from behind to win the last four rounds, winning by one point in a controversial decision. This match was so hyped and the result so controversial it was nicknamed the Thrilla in Manila, despite the fact the match took place at Mandalay Bay and there was already a match decades earlier nicknamed that.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Jul 31, 2023
billryan
billryan 
July 31st, 2023 at 6:58:53 PM permalink
I had Oscar winning that fight by two rounds. Watched it on a cruise, with about two people stuffed into the small sports bar. The crowd was pro-De La Hoya and grew restless as he coasted through the last four rounds, but the place erupted when the decision was announced.
The only other Trinidad fight I remember was against Sergio Vargas and that was an ugly foul-filled brawl.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2023 at 7:00:09 PM permalink
Perhaps the most important at bats for hitters are with runners in scoring position and two outs. Anthony Rizzo has ZERO hits this season in those situations. Zero out of 30. $20 million a year.
Giancarlo Stanton makes $32 million a year. Hitting below .200
Josh Donaldson was hitting below .150 before being injured. Making $21 million a year.

My $50 on them to win the WS not looking good….
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 2nd, 2023 at 2:20:28 AM permalink

the Iowa State QB and other players on the team have been charged with tampering - betting on their own games - using a DraftKings account

I wonder how many others have done this and have not gotten caught - by using someone else's name on the accounts

from another link I gathered that the QB used his Dad's name on the account - Dear ole Dad

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2023/08/01/iowa-state-qb-quarterback-hunter-dekkers-accused-of-betting-on-isu-sports-including-football/70509522007/
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 2, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:12:02 AM permalink
two from the time capsule

1919 - 6'1" 190 lb. Jack Dempsey vs. 6'7" 245 lb. Jess Willard

Willard had killed Jack "Bull" Young in the ring with a punch in 1913 and he was charged with 2nd degree murder - he was found innocent

before the Dempsey fight he asked for legal immunity in case he killed Dempsey

the highlight starts at 2:49 - Dempsey knocked Willard down 7 times in the 1st round - I don't know why the ref didn't stop it

the 2nd highlight from 1923 against Argentinian Luis Firpo starts at 9:15 - Dempsey knocked Firpo down 7 times in the 1st round also

at 10:19 Firpo knocks Dempsey clean out of the ring and into the stands where he hit his head on a typewriter - he somehow managed to return

boxing historian Bert Sugar called it "the greatest fight in the history of the sport" - both bouts are really savage and brutal - incredible stuff

vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
August 3rd, 2023 at 2:08:28 PM permalink
Interesting video. Thanks
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
alpha1243
alpha1243
  • Threads: 0
August 3rd, 2023 at 3:28:10 PM permalink
Started following F1 at the end of last season. The streaming series Drive To Survive got me hooked.
Interested in trading/buying/selling casino chips? Join me on the Casino Chip Collecting group on Facebook.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 3rd, 2023 at 5:14:31 PM permalink
Quote: alpha1243

Started following F1 at the end of last season. The streaming series Drive To Survive got me hooked.
link to original post

I’ve followed intermittently. Virtually no drama now. Verstappen will win the next race from the pole. Did I sum it up ok?
DRich
DRich
August 5th, 2023 at 1:09:46 PM permalink
As a person who grew up in the midwest and went to a Big Ten university I am thrilled that the Big Ten has added USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. Now the Big Ten spans from New Jersey to the west coast.
billryan
billryan 
August 5th, 2023 at 1:12:56 PM permalink

As a person who grew up in the midwest and went to a Big Ten university I am thrilled that the Big Ten has added USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. Now the Big Ten spans from New Jersey to the west coast.
link to original post

I don't follow the Big Ten, but I don't see the attraction of Rutgers to the conference. I think they thought the school would come with a built-in NY audience.
DRich
DRich
August 5th, 2023 at 4:06:39 PM permalink

link to original post

I don't follow the Big Ten, but I don't see the attraction of Rutgers to the conference. I think they thought the school would come with a built-in NY audience.
link to original post

I think you are correct. I have no idea how much of a draw Rutgers is in NY. From my general knowledge there are no "football" schools around NY city. I used to follow Columbia when they were setting records for losing streaks.
billryan
billryan 
August 5th, 2023 at 7:53:19 PM permalink
Notre Dame is NYC's football team, with Penn St a distant second When Rutgers had that one good season awhile back, some NY papers jumped on the bandwagon, but Rutgers is pretty much an afterthought..
DRich
DRich
August 6th, 2023 at 5:35:06 AM permalink
US Women knocked out of World Cup by penalty kick. I am not disappointed as I do not like to see teams dominate for long periods of time.
  • Jump to: