Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 22nd, 2023 at 5:31:36 PM permalink
I was driving a cargo van in Manhattan and spotted Curtis Slwia walking on 1st Avenue. I stopped at a light, and as he was passing, I offered him a ride. He looked at me like I was asking him to help me find my lost puppy and started walking faster.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 22nd, 2023 at 7:37:15 PM permalink
I stared at Red Fox while he was playing cards at Bally's once. He looked up at me and I figured he was irritated. Years later he died.

Celebrity death.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 23rd, 2023 at 6:31:16 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I stared at Red Fox while he was playing cards at Bally's once. He looked up at me and I figured he was irritated. Years later he died.

Celebrity death.
link to original post

I watched that guy snort so much cocaine while playing the slots at Sam's Town. He never even tried to hide it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 23rd, 2023 at 1:40:34 PM permalink

Celebrity death.
link to original post

Redd Foxx?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
July 23rd, 2023 at 2:48:24 PM permalink
Fred Sanford
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
July 23rd, 2023 at 2:49:15 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Celebrity death.
link to original post

Redd Foxx?
link to original post

Him too
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
MichaelBluejayrxwineDRich
July 23rd, 2023 at 9:39:39 PM permalink
Speaking of Redd Foxx, here is a post I made in his honor on the BJ21 Green Chip General page on 4/1/2012:

A New Counting System for Beginners

My Fellow GCers,

We have had many, many, many long threads begun by newbie counters who want to start with the perfect count system. However, once they settle on a system, they cannot resist the impulse to "tweak" the system, either by trying to make it into something it's not, like True-Counted KO, or by side-counting some neutral cards, like the infamous "7 Sidecount" for HiLo.

Thus, I have toiled long and hard to devise a system simple enough for the newbies, but nearly immune to tweaking, which I am presenting here.

First, newbies often have trouble with true counting, so I decided that my new system would have to be a running-count-based system. However, KO itself is too prone to modification (as we've seen ad naseum), so I started with Arnold Snyder's excellent "Red 7 Count".

The problem with Red 7 itself, though, is it leaves a few ranks uncounted, namely the 8's and 9's, so to prevent the newbies from attempting to "improve" my new system, I took note of how Ralph Stricker's "Silver Fox" counts 7's and 9's, and decided to count the 9's as well.

Finally, to make the system unbalanced, I went back to an idea from Red 7, and decided to count just the Red 8's.

Therefore, the IRC and tags for the new system are as follows:

IRC = -2*(number of decks)

Rank Tag

A -1

2 +1

3 +1

4 +1

5 +1

6 +1

7 +1

Red8 +1

Blk8 0

9 -1

X -1

By counting so many of the cards, this system foils the newbie inclination to sidecount the neutral cards. I suppose a determined newbie could sidecount the Black 8's... oh well, nobody's perfect!

As for betting, CVCX simulations suggest the following schedule for a 1:15 spread:

RC Units

<-2 1

-2 3

-1 4

0 6

+1 7

+2 9

+3 10

+4 13

>4 15

The Illustrious 18 indexes for this system are as follows:
1. Insurance at +4
2. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 16 vs. 9: Hit < 11
3. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 16 vs. X: Hit < -7
4. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 15 vs. X: Hit < 6
5. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 13 vs. 2: Hit < -12
6. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 13 vs. 3: Hit < -15
7. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 12 vs. 2: Hit < 4
8. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 12 vs. 3: Hit < -2
9. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 12 vs. 4: Hit < -8
10. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 12 vs. 5: Hit < -15
11. Hard Hit/Stand Table - 12 vs. 6: Hit < -22
12. Hard Double Down - 11 vs. A: DD >= -8
13. Hard Double Down - 10 vs. X: DD >= 5
14. Hard Double Down - 10 vs. A: DD >= 3
15. Hard Double Down - 9 vs. 2: DD >= -2
16. Hard Double Down - 9 vs. 7: DD >= 5
17. Splitting Pairs - X,X vs. 5: Split >= 9
18. Splitting Pairs - X,X vs. 6: Split >= 7

Simulations show that for a 6D, H17, DAS game with 75% pen, this new system gives an IBA of 0.942% for a play-all approach.

Since this new system is the synthesis of the Red 7 and Silver Fox systems, I naturally decided to name it the "Redd Foxx" system.

The best part of playing Redd Foxx is the built-in cover, though. The counter plays the shoe, waiting for the moment when the count turns favorable enough for a max bet (RC of +5, by the way). At this point he stands and shoves a huge stack of chips into the betting circle with his left hand, while with his right hand he grasps his upper left arm and exclaims, "This is it! This is the BIG ONE!" a la Fred Sanford, as played by Redd Foxx.

Well, I hope this new system is helpful to our many newbie GCers.

Dog Hand
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
July 26th, 2023 at 5:01:53 PM permalink
Sinead O'Connor. Age 56.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 26th, 2023 at 7:03:22 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

No you didn't, why would somebody as famous as him want to ride in a pedicab just because it's free.
link to original post

I believe he would have said that had he remembered his name. I'm sure he wouldn't have expected a "yes" answer.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 26th, 2023 at 7:06:42 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Sinead O'Connor. Age 56.
link to original post

I find myself listening to vidoes of her on YouTube a lot. RIP. Another celebrity I've outlived.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ThomasHow99
ThomasHow99
  • Threads: 0
July 27th, 2023 at 4:21:02 AM permalink

Sinead O'Connor. Age 56.
link to original post

We lost another voice of reason
Spin to Win!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 27th, 2023 at 5:23:34 AM permalink
Quote: ThomasHow99

Sinead O'Connor. Age 56.
link to original post

link to original post

Someone else died? Please post who.
darkoz
darkoz
July 27th, 2023 at 6:15:28 AM permalink

Sinead O'Connor. Age 56.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Real classy. Insulting the dead.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Calder
July 27th, 2023 at 6:31:14 AM permalink
I'm sorry, I think Sinead O'Connor was a despicable human being. Hateful and publicly racist. Not worth the electrons to follow while she was alive or to mourn now that she is dead.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 27th, 2023 at 7:31:27 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I'm sorry, I think Sinead O'Connor was a despicable human being. Hateful and publicly racist. Not worth the electrons to follow while she was alive or to mourn now that she is dead.
link to original post

I think the only reason she was famous was because she was controversial. I can only think of the one hit she had like 30 years ago. If she wasn't so crazy she would have been long forgotten by now.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 27th, 2023 at 12:32:06 PM permalink

Sinead O'Connor. Age 56.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Real classy. Insulting the dead.
link to original post

I did? When?
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2023 at 5:33:20 PM permalink

link to original post

Class act. She dared to voice an opinion you disagreed with.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
July 27th, 2023 at 5:37:05 PM permalink

link to original post

Could you expand on why you feel that way? I know nothing of her other than she was a singer.
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2023 at 5:42:27 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

I think the only reason she was famous was because she was controversial. I can only think of the one hit she had like 30 years ago. If she wasn't so crazy she would have been long forgotten by now.
link to original post

She wasn't crazy. She was revolutionary, to a generation of Irish youth. She didn't stop making music, she stopped doing it commercially and took up social causes that rocked the boat. She didn't want to spend her time making records and touring, but ask her to do something for a cause she embraced and she'd be there in a second. Maybe she was nuts.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
July 27th, 2023 at 7:40:08 PM permalink
Randy Meisner, founding member of the Eagles died at age 77
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 27th, 2023 at 7:40:15 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

Class act. She dared to voice an opinion you disagreed with.
link to original post

Yes, BillRyan, she voiced an opinion that I disagreed with.

From Wikipedia article on Sinead O'Connor:

"After her conversion to Islam, O'Connor called those who were not Muslims "disgusting" and criticised Christian and Jewish theologians on Twitter in November 2018. She wrote: "What I'm about to say is something so racist I never thought my soul could ever feel it. But truly I never wanna spend time with white people again (if that's what non-muslims are called). Not for one moment, for any reason. They are disgusting."

references given in Wikipedia Article:

"Sinead O'Connor says she 'never wants to spend time with white people again' following conversion to Islam". The Independent. 6 November 2018.

"Sinead O'Connor upsets Muslims, says she won't associate with 'disgusting' white people". USA Today. Archived from the original on 8 November 2020. Retrieved 12 November 2018."

What I am trying to express is that I think its questionable whether we should be praising this person in this forum. Not a moderator ruling, just a personal opinion.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
July 27th, 2023 at 8:51:56 PM permalink
Not defending the comment in any way, I don't believe she had full control of her faculties at the time that statement was made or since. I used to follow her on FaceBook. She was in mental distress long before 2018 and I had to stop following her because it was too painful to see it play out.

May she rest in peace.
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2023 at 8:58:05 PM permalink
Nine years after she ripped up the Pope's photo and called out the church, the Catholic Church admitted they had a severe problem with sexual abuse of children.
She apologized for the remarks Gordon chose to base his opinion of her entire life on, but that is his prerogative, and I'm sure she would forgive him. It's a shame one would clip an excerpt from an article without reading the whole thing, but that is the world we live in.
If I can accomplish one one-hundredth of the good she did, I'll have lived a great life.
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2023 at 9:10:29 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

Randy Meisner, founding member of the Eagles died at age 77
link to original post

I hated the Eagles in the 70s. I'm not sure what inspired it but I really detested the band and was shocked when Joe Walsh joined them.
I never understood their appeal, but over the years a lot of their music has grown on me. It's amazing the careers these guys had.
RIP
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
July 27th, 2023 at 10:48:22 PM permalink
Solid Road Band that's a bit Texas. Meisner was replaced by Timothy B. Schmit in 1977.
Wiki Eagles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles_(band)
Wiki Randy Meisner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Meisner
Released: December 7, 1976
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Jul 27, 2023
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 31st, 2023 at 10:34:10 AM permalink
Pee-Wee Herman, dead at 70 from a secret six-year battle with cancer.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 31st, 2023 at 10:52:43 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Pee-Wee Herman, dead at 70 from a secret six-year battle with cancer.
link to original post

I absolutely loved his portrayal of Mr. Vargas on The Blacklist.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
July 31st, 2023 at 1:12:07 PM permalink
Pee-Wee Herman is dead.

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 1st, 2023 at 12:27:58 PM permalink
I'd choose to remember him more for his performance in Blow.

I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
August 1st, 2023 at 4:57:30 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I'd choose to remember him more for his performance in Blow.

link to original post

Boston George went to HS with my Mom, and his parents were my next door neighbor when I was but a wee lad. I could tell stories...
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
August 26th, 2023 at 10:20:55 AM permalink
Bob Barker has died at age 99.

I grew up loving The Price is Right and especially Bob's easygoing style. Summer vacations were spent watching cartoons and game shows, and TPIR was the anchor to that lineup!

With that said, the first joke I came up with regarding this news was Satan announcing "come on down!"
billryan
billryan
August 26th, 2023 at 10:29:18 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I grew up loving The Price is Right and especially Bob's easygoing style. Summer vacations were spent watching cartoons and game shows, and TPIR was the anchor to that lineup!

With that said, the first joke I came up with regarding this news was Satan announcing "come on down!"
link to original post

I rarely watched the show but did spend a small fortune playing the slot.game at The Sands in AC. I saw a clip a few years ago when my favorite wrestler Ox Baker was on the show and did pretty well.
RIP Mr Barker.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 26th, 2023 at 11:51:43 AM permalink

link to original post

I'm 74 and Bob Barker was on TV everyday when I was a kid. Amazing. The guy had a smoothness and a grace that was so professional I don't think it's ever been duplicated on game show TV.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
Thanked by
GenoDRPhSOOPOOJoemanrxwineDogHandMichaelBluejay
August 26th, 2023 at 2:57:55 PM permalink
A better joke: Bob Barker got closest to 100 without going over!
DRich
DRich
August 26th, 2023 at 3:02:33 PM permalink

link to original post

I'm 74 and Bob Barker was on TV everyday when I was a kid. Amazing. The guy had a smoothness and a grace that was so professional I don't think it's ever been duplicated on game show TV.
link to original post

And he had a great left jab and right hook according to Adam Sandler.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 26th, 2023 at 4:05:28 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Bob was on the show? I just waited for Holly to come out.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 26th, 2023 at 4:45:31 PM permalink

A better joke: Bob Barker got closest to 100 without going over!
link to original post

May the cards fall in your favor.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
August 26th, 2023 at 4:51:00 PM permalink
Very sad another celebrity who almost hit 100. Betty White was within days of her 100th birthday. Both had a great passion for animals
avianrandy
avianrandy
August 26th, 2023 at 4:53:32 PM permalink
Former WWE entertainer Bray Wyatt has passed as well as Terry funk. Wyatt was 36 and developed COVID which led to heart problems and a heart attack. It was suspected funk had dementia. He was 79
rxwine
rxwine
August 26th, 2023 at 5:43:09 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Bob had an affair with one of those spokesmodels while he was in his 70s,
darkoz
darkoz
August 26th, 2023 at 5:57:27 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

So apparently Bob wasn't spayed or neutered

(I never understood fighting hard for Animal rights while espousing the removal of their sex life. Would anybody here feel comfortable with someone fighting for your personal rights who wanted you to get a vasectomy or hysterectomy?)
rxwine
rxwine
August 26th, 2023 at 6:32:05 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

So apparently Bob wasn't spayed or neutered

(I never understood fighting hard for Animal rights while espousing the removal of their sex life. Would anybody here feel comfortable with someone fighting for your personal rights who wanted you to get a vasectomy or hysterectomy?)
link to original post

I'd probably be upset if I kept having to ask someone to go outside all the time. Don't you think there are already too many unadopted pets already? Just about everywhere. Everywhere I've been there's been no shortage of pets waiting to be adopted.
rxwine
rxwine
August 26th, 2023 at 7:01:30 PM permalink
Speaking of famous dead people. This is definitely a different era of famous deaths than I've been used to. More and more I see news link announcements of "famous" TikTokers deaths. Of course, this is always the first I've heard of them. And when I look at the news blurb about them, I sometimes still don't know why they were so well-known.
DRich
DRich
August 26th, 2023 at 7:05:10 PM permalink

Speaking of famous dead people. This is definitely a different era of famous deaths than I've been used to. More and more I see news link announcements of "famous" TikTokers deaths. Of course, this is always the first I've heard of them. And when I look at the news blurb about them, I sometimes still don't know why they were so well-known.
link to original post

I don't know that I have ever watched a Tiktok video
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 26th, 2023 at 7:52:48 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

If I have it's by accident because I've certainly never gone there on purpose. I don't like short videos
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 26th, 2023 at 8:44:17 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

It's a young or at least younger person's thing. My wife is sending them to me regularly and I don't generally have time to look at most of them, but I make her believe that I have. The ones she sends range from humorous to self improvement.

However, my first exposure to Tiktok was with the Sarah Cooper Trump imitation videos, you don't remember those? I actually looked forward to each new one.

When you start realizing that you're dealing with a different generation is when someone you meet at the Baccarat tables asks you what your "IG is" and it takes you a moment to realize what that is.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
darkoz
darkoz
August 26th, 2023 at 9:26:28 PM permalink
Tik tok allows users to create videos as well as post which is different from YouTube where you upload a finished video.

While it's used for short form it's also used for long commentary especially on video games.

For example you could post a video stream of you playing a video game while using a camera to catch your own expressions and reactions usually in a corner of the screen.

People who see your videos for the first time can take videos of their reactions to your video.

So it's created this interactive video creation content that many find addictive both watching and creating.

It may seem foreign to us old timers but it's really no different than WOV just with consistent users who post and interact with each other on video.

Just like you guys know EB as a prolific poster and myself due to my exploits and MDawg due to his adventures thread. Just take that concept and make it posting and creating of videos instead of just prose posts.
avianrandy
avianrandy
August 27th, 2023 at 12:27:21 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Bob was involved with Dian Parkinson for a bit. She even did a pictorial for Playboy. When she was interviewed on geraldo and asked why she did it she quipped 'the price was right'
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 2nd, 2023 at 2:50:05 AM permalink
Jimmy Buffet, 76
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
September 4th, 2023 at 7:55:28 PM permalink
Singer and keyboardist Gary Wright, 80
  • Jump to: