Tina Turner, 83.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 24th, 2023 at 4:28:18 PM permalink
Tina Turner, 83; R.I.P.

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
May 24th, 2023 at 4:43:15 PM permalink
Tina Turner - Break Every Rule (Official Music Video) - 1986-1987
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
May 24th, 2023 at 5:51:27 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Tina Turner, 83; R.I.P.

For a rocker, 83 is pretty good.

Better Be Good to Me was one of my favorite music videos of the 80's.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
May 25th, 2023 at 10:34:23 AM permalink
Back to Gordon Lightfoot for a minute. I am still quite irritated that Wikipedia never highlighted his passing, but can find space for obscure cricket players and minor politicians from thuggish regimes and yet not note someone like Lightfoot.

I am quite surprised that nobody ever mentioned his Canadian Railroad Trilogy. The Canadian Broadcast Corporation commissioned him to write a song for Canada's Centenial back in 1967. He wrote the lyrics and composed the song in three days. It was so memorable that Queen Elizabeth mentioned how much she enjoyed the song.

If you've never heard it, or want to hear it again, here it is:
https://youtu.be/kqA-RLkHLlk?t=369
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 25th, 2023 at 1:00:29 PM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

Back to Gordon Lightfoot for a minute. I am still quite irritated that Wikipedia never highlighted his passing, but can find space for obscure cricket players and minor politicians from thuggish regimes and yet not note someone like Lightfoot.

I am quite surprised that nobody ever mentioned his Canadian Railroad Trilogy. The Canadian Broadcast Corporation commissioned him to write a song for Canada's Centenial back in 1967. He wrote the lyrics and composed the song in three days. It was so memorable that Queen Elizabeth mentioned how much she enjoyed the song.

If you've never heard it, or want to hear it again, here it is:
https://youtu.be/kqA-RLkHLlk?t=369
link to original post

Are you aware that you can update Wikipedia? Just make the necessary changes.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
May 26th, 2023 at 8:18:23 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Are you aware that you can update Wikipedia? Just make the necessary changes.
link to original post

Not on the Main Page, I can't. That's where the Supreme Wik announces the Recent Deaths. Lightfoot never got mentioned.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
May 26th, 2023 at 8:19:04 AM permalink
Ed Ames.

Most famous for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 7th, 2023 at 1:37:42 PM permalink
The Iron Sheik, 81

IRAN, NUMBER ONE
RUSSIA, NUMBER ONE.
CANADA, USA, ACK, PHOO!
smoothgrh
smoothgrh 
June 7th, 2023 at 1:37:59 PM permalink
Sad about Tina Turner. I feel blessed that I was able to see her perform back in 2008.

Astrud Gilberto, singer of "The Girl from Ipanema," dead at 83

The Iron Sheik, pro wrestling legend and social media star, dies at 81
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
June 7th, 2023 at 4:04:51 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The Iron Sheik, 81

IRAN, NUMBER ONE
RUSSIA, NUMBER ONE.
CANADA, USA, ACK, PHOO!
link to original post

Quote:

The all-caps tweet pinned at the top of his Twitter feed summed up the performer's comically angry and often-profanity laced persona: "TAKE A MINUTE OF YOUR DAY TO BE NICE TO SOMEONE YOU DUMB SON OF A B----."

The Sheik often used hilariously caustic language to address current events.

His final tweet, before the post that announced his death, made reference to Canadian wildfires that have darkened skies across the northeast United States: "F--- THE WILDFIRES."

"WWE is saddened to hear of the passing of WWE Hall of Famer The Iron Sheik, and extends its condolences to his family, friends, and fans," according to a statement from the pro wrestling organization.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
June 7th, 2023 at 5:48:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The Iron Sheik, 81

IRAN, NUMBER ONE
RUSSIA, NUMBER ONE.
CANADA, USA, ACK, PHOO!
link to original post

You Jabroni!
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
June 8th, 2023 at 5:45:48 AM permalink
Pat Robertson has died............
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
Thanked by
ams288UP84
June 8th, 2023 at 7:39:18 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

link to original post

He was an evil man.

Only the good die young.....
LESLOSACKETT
LESLOSACKETT
  • Threads: 0
June 8th, 2023 at 1:11:58 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: rsactuary

link to original post

He was an evil man.

Only the good die young.....
link to original post

For which I am very grateful to be on the right side of grass HAHA
rxwine
rxwine
June 9th, 2023 at 2:04:14 PM permalink
If you know “Breaking Bad” you will probably know this actor. Otherwise, I suspect not.

Quote:

Batayeh passed away on June 1 after suffering a heart attack in his sleep, his manager confirmed to Fox News Digital.

The actor, who was known to fans as the manager of Gustavo's laundromat on the TV show, will be honored during a celebration of life service on June 16. Batayeh's funeral will be held June 17.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
June 10th, 2023 at 2:24:16 PM permalink
I just found that the New York Times obituary section has an interesting list of notable passings, including all of the above, and then some (for example, the Unabomber).
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
June 10th, 2023 at 3:35:44 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

I just found that the New York Times obituary section has an interesting list of notable passings, including all of the above, and then some (for example, the Unabomber).
link to original post

yes,not exactly a celebrity but Theodore kazyncski died this morning. He was 81 and 3 people close to the situation said it was suicide. He was a notorious killer rather than a celebrity
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 10th, 2023 at 4:21:10 PM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

yes,not exactly a celebrity but Theodore kazyncski died this morning. He was 81 and 3 people close to the situation said it was suicide. He was a notorious killer rather than a celebrity
link to original post

He was a celebrity, just for bad reasons.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 10th, 2023 at 6:17:17 PM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

link to original post

Maybe he ate too many canned beans and blew himself up in his outhouse. That would be a fitting end to a jackass like him
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
June 10th, 2023 at 6:59:48 PM permalink

link to original post

Some interesting names on that list,,,
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 11th, 2023 at 12:02:20 PM permalink
Good old Teddy,

Probably the worst FBI sketch release of all time. Sketch looked like somewhere around 80% of middle aged white dudes in America at the time as possibly being the unabomber, fueling more mass fear than the bombings themselves.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
June 13th, 2023 at 7:02:13 AM permalink
Silvio Berlusconi

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/12/europe/gallery/silvio-berlusconi/index.html
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
rawtuff
June 13th, 2023 at 7:59:08 AM permalink
Treat Williams.

Killed in a motorcycle accident in rural Vermont.

He never became the star he was projected to be early in his career, but he had a very solid career.

RIP
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
June 13th, 2023 at 8:05:32 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Silvio Berlusconi

link to original post

Also, Goldie Hawn's cat, named Marty, had to be put down yesterday by a vet. So much sorrow in the world!
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
June 13th, 2023 at 10:08:02 AM permalink

Silvio Berlusconi

link to original post

Also, Goldie Hawn's cat, named Marty, had to be put down yesterday by a vet. So much sorrow in the world!
link to original post

That is really sad news.
May the cards fall in your favor.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
June 13th, 2023 at 12:39:05 PM permalink

Silvio Berlusconi

link to original post

link to original post

That is really sad news.
link to original post

In film-making, it is generally taboo, i.e., bad business, to show the death of a pet dog or a pet cat. (The first John Wick film was an exception.) Because audiences are disturbed by the death of pets. However, showing the killing of people in films is done all the time -that's what audiences want to see, apparently. It's a reflection of the strange values of our society.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 13th, 2023 at 1:30:55 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Treat Williams.

He never became the star he was projected to be early in his career, but he had a very solid career.

RIP
link to original post

I thought he was outstanding in the movie version of Hair. As near as I can tell, he never got a bigger role than that.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 13th, 2023 at 2:03:21 PM permalink

Silvio Berlusconi

link to original post

link to original post

That is really sad news.
link to original post

In film-making, it is generally taboo, i.e., bad business, to show the death of a pet dog or a pet cat. (The first John Wick film was an exception.) Because audiences are disturbed by the death of pets. However, showing the killing of people in films is done all the time -that's what audiences want to see, apparently. It's a reflection of the strange values of our society.
link to original post

I can see this. It was hard on me when they killed the wolf in "Dances with Wolves." The Indians shooting each other, nothing.
billryan
billryan
June 13th, 2023 at 2:07:43 PM permalink
A friend told me that Treat Williams lost out on a bunch of roles to Mel Gibson in the mid 80s.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 14th, 2023 at 5:59:27 PM permalink

Treat Williams.

RIP
link to original post

He had a recurring role on Blue Bloods as Tom Selleck's ex-partner and those episodes were always interesting.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 14th, 2023 at 7:03:28 PM permalink

A friend told me that Treat Williams lost out on a bunch of roles to Mel Gibson in the mid 80s.
link to original post

In retrospect, I wish he got them.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
June 24th, 2023 at 11:53:48 AM permalink

Oscar-nominated character actor Frederic Forrest died yesterday at his home in Santa Monica. He was 86. No official cause of death was announced, but it's known he had been suffering from a long illness.

Forrest appeared in several films including “The Conversation” (1974), “The Rose” (1979), and “Andersonville” (1996). He's best remembered for his role as the patrol boat machinist Jay “Chef” Hicks in the Francis Ford Coppola classic “Apocalypse Now” (1979).

--------------------------------------------------------------

In other Reaper news...

In a new documentary, the King's stepbrother says that Elvis committed suicide. He believes that Elvis “couldn’t carry on” amid fears his alleged relationships with teen girls would be laid bare in a book.

It seems unlikely that Presley would kill himself while sitting on the jakes. On the other hand, he did start dating Priscilla when she was only 14 so who knows?

The official cause of death for “Eight Is Enough” star Adam Rich has been released. He died from an accidental fentanyl overdose. The L.A. County Medical Examiner also discovered non-toxic levels of alcohol and lorazepam, the generic for Ativan, in the actor’s system at the time of his death.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
June 26th, 2023 at 6:17:25 AM permalink
Teresa Taylor, drummer for the Butthole Surfers, died at age 60. Here's her NYT obituary. I never met her, but as I mentioned in another thread, I was lucky to play with their other drummer once. I guess that makes me one degree of separation away from Taylor.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 26th, 2023 at 6:25:53 AM permalink

T Here's her NYT obituary.
link to original post

It's behind a paywall.

I saw the Butthole Surfers perform at UCLA. The volume was extremely loud and I believe a major reason I suffer from tinnitus today.
rxwine
rxwine
June 26th, 2023 at 8:32:19 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

link to original post

It's behind a paywall.

I saw the Butthole Surfers perform at UCLA. The volume was extremely loud and I believe a major reason I suffer from tinnitus today.
link to original post

Makes me glad I didn't go to a particular ZZtop concert. All my friends were complaining about the loudness of it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 26th, 2023 at 11:23:01 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: Wizard

link to original post

It's behind a paywall.

link to original post

Makes me glad I didn't go to a particular ZZtop concert. All my friends were complaining about the loudness of it.
link to original post

I avoided anything loud in my youth and have excellent hearing today. For some reason I instinctively knew it wasn't good for you. My brother was a bouncer in his early twenties in a rock and roll Cafe and his hearing now is pitiful. Plus he listened to a lot of loud music on headphones in the '70s. Never used headphones in my life I hate the damn things.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
June 26th, 2023 at 11:37:30 AM permalink
When I performed in the 90s I got musician's earplugs. Regular earplugs cut out more of the high frequencies so you just hear the bass. Musician's plugs reduce all the frequencies equally. They make a mold of your ears so they fit perfectly. Of course I always use them at concerts I attend. Coincidentally, last night I had a dream where I was telling an acquaintance in a popular loud band (Sixteen Deluxe) how a friend I brought to one of their shows didn't think he'd need earplugs but I convinced him that he really needed to buy some at the bar. All that was true except telling my acquaintance the story afterward. She'd told me about the reunion show so I went but I didn't talk to her afterward.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
June 26th, 2023 at 8:39:30 PM permalink
I have some valve earplugs from the early '80's. My ears go into distortion mode around loud sound volumes, and my ears even just get fatigued into distortion mode if it isn't that loud but if it's like 10 minutes or 30 minutes. Usually club volume wasn't as bad as arena volume, but not always. So these valve earplugs are supposed to be frequency ok but mute the sound a bit.

Here's a this century version: Etymotic Research ER20XS High-Fidelity Earplugs (Concerts, Musicians, Airplanes, Motorcycles, Sensitivity and Universal Hearing Protection) - Standard Fit, Clear Stem, Clear/Frost https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00RM6Q9XW/ref=asc_df_B00RM6Q9XW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241923266288&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10711386036918900905&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005585&hvtargid=pla-464688778684&psc=1

High Fidelity Sound Quality - Hear the difference true high-fidelity makes. ER20XS earplugs reduce sound levels evenly so speech and environmental sounds are clear and natural. ER20XS provides 20-dB equal sound reduction across the spectrum of hearing

So if I'm trying to keep the volume input to my ears under 90 dB, the music has to be less than 110 dB, which may or may not be doable. Otherwise my ears will go into distortion mode even with the earplugs.

I hear Resorts World has a hopping club scene.
NSKOwen
NSKOwen
  • Threads: 0
July 4th, 2023 at 4:27:38 AM permalink
He's a really great actor. I watched his series, Everwood, way way back.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh 
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
July 21st, 2023 at 1:36:16 PM permalink
Tony Bennett has died at age 96.

My friends and I went to see him perform in Reno around 1999 partially out of concern that he wasn't gonna be around much longer. The performance was a minimal, intimate lineup of his classic standards. Too bad we couldn't bring alcoholic drinks into the seating area!
Last edited by: smoothgrh on Jul 21, 2023
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
Thanked by
smoothgrh
July 21st, 2023 at 4:23:54 PM permalink
I saw Tony Bennett walking down the street in NYC when I was pedicabbing. I said hi and he said hi back. I wanted to say, "I'm running a special today, Free Rides for Tonny Bennett!" but I couldn't remember his name! By the time I remembered he was gone. Missed my chance.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
smoothgrh
July 21st, 2023 at 6:18:13 PM permalink
My first comic shop was in a building with a recording studio on the second floor. Occasionally, someone I recognized would come in and tell me they were recording upstairs. One time this guy comes in, and mentions he is starting a new album upstairs. He's a bit older and looks familiar so I introduce myself. Tony, he replied, Tony Bennett. I knew his name but he was more of my parent's generation than mine so it didn't mean much. He came in another time, and we'd say hello if I was outside when he arrived to record. He oozed class, even though he was at the lowest point of his career.
A few years later, MTV turned him into an unlikely rock hero.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
July 22nd, 2023 at 10:27:27 AM permalink
I recall he was touring and appeared locally in the PNW about a year or so ago.

A true entertainer to the very end.

R.I.P.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 22nd, 2023 at 11:17:20 AM permalink

I saw Tony Bennett walking down the street in NYC when I was pedicabbing. I said hi and he said hi back. I wanted to say, "I'm running a special today, Free Rides for Tonny Bennett!" but I couldn't remember his name! By the time I remembered he was gone. Missed my chance.
link to original post

No you didn't, why would somebody as famous as him want to ride in a pedicab just because it's free.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
July 22nd, 2023 at 5:09:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

No you didn't, why would somebody as famous as him want to ride in a pedicab just because it's free.
link to original post

He didn't ride for free or charge.

He saw Tony Bennett WALKING and thought to offer him a free ride but Bennett was gone by the time he remembered his name

BTW, you basically just called Michael Bluejay a liar. When someone says they did or saw something and you say no they didn't there is nothing but the conclusion you believe and are accusing them of lying.

Didn't you just finish a 3 day suspension for rules violations?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
July 22nd, 2023 at 5:15:26 PM permalink
I interpreted his sentence to mean "No you didn't" just miss your chance to give Tony Bennett a ride because "somebody as famous as him" would not "want to ride in a pedicab [just because it is free]." Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

I mean if a hot dog vendor had offered Roger Moore a hot dog with a "It would be an honor to serve you" he'd probably accept, so it might depend on how Bluejay had approached Bennett. And whether Moore was dressed in a tux on the way to the Oscars.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 22nd, 2023 at 5:24:43 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

BTW, you basically just called Michael Bluejay a liar.
link to original post

No I didn't. He said 'missed my chance' and I said no you didn't (miss your chance) because he wouldn't have riden with you anyway because he's famous and famous people don't care about stuff like that because they get offers all the time.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
July 22nd, 2023 at 5:27:32 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I mean if a hot dog vendor had offered Roger Moore a hot dog with a "It would be an honor to serve you" he'd probably accept, so it might depend on how Bluejay had approached Bennett. And whether Moore was dressed in a tux on the way to the Oscars.

He was in a full suit in midday and while it wasn't scorching, it was uncomfortably hot in that kind of wear, and he was walking fast, like he was late, so the ride might have helped. I daydreamed about a conversation with him which wouldn't require my remembering his name:

ME: You want a ride? It's free.

HIM: Why is it free?

ME: Because you're a f**king legend! Get in the cab!
  • Jump to: