Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 8th, 2023 at 9:23:54 PM permalink
Lisa Lyon @70. Bodybuilder and inspiration for Marvel's Elektra. She is only 5'4" and 120;lbs

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 9th, 2023 at 7:38:45 AM permalink
Dr. Richard Moriarty, who helped create ‘Mr. Yuk’ poison warning for kids, dies at 83
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
September 25th, 2023 at 5:01:54 PM permalink
Actor David McCallum, age 90
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
Thanked by
Doc
September 27th, 2023 at 10:52:01 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Jimmy Buffet, 76
link to original post

According to new data from Billboard, sales of Jimmy Buffet songs surged 7,000% in the week after his death. Not surprisingly, Margaretaville led the way by entering the top ten singles chart. His greatest hits album, a record that barely broke into the top 100 when it was released back in the 80s, also charted at #4. Buffet had recently finished a new album which will now be released posthumously in November (just in time for Christmas).

Quote: rxwine

Speaking of famous dead people. This is definitely a different era of famous deaths than I've been used to. More and more I see news link announcements of "famous" TikTokers deaths. Of course, this is always the first I've heard of them. And when I look at the news blurb about them, I sometimes still don't know why they were so well-known.
link to original post

I've never heard of any of them either, which is why I never post their demises here. I'm actually surprised that no one has declared Tik Tok to be cursed when you consider how many of its young content creators end up on a slab.

Some die of suicide. Some are murdered; the woman usually by a crazy boyfriend and the men usually from a gangland hit. Many are killed while attempting a ridiculously dangerous stunt designed to increase viewership. Others fall into the miscellaneous category.

One recent death involved a highly followed nutritionist. She did a sort of travelogue show of east Asian countries. Her diet consisted of only fruit and she would sample the local exotic offerings. Unfortunately, her nutritional intake was insufficient for her body's needs causing her internal organs to shut down. She starved to death.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 27th, 2023 at 11:06:36 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Not surprisingly, Margaretaville led the way
link to original post

God I hated that song. It came out in 1977 and I was in the bar business from 1979 to 1982 and that song was on the jukebox the entire time. When somebody would ask for a margarita if I was the bartender I would always tell them the blender was broken cuz I hated making those damn things.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 15th, 2023 at 3:49:01 PM permalink
Suzanne Sommers, 76.

Least attractive of the female roommates to me, but sad to see her go.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
October 15th, 2023 at 4:12:53 PM permalink
R.I.P.

Never got into the show, but I have been inside the Santa Monica house that's filmed in the opening credits. It's actually an old single family home not an apartment complex.

Come and knock on our door....
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 15th, 2023 at 5:22:43 PM permalink

Suzanne Sommers, 76.

Least attractive of the female roommates to me, but sad to see her go.
link to original post

I must be slow today. I saw all sorts of references to Suzanne Sommers today but didn't put it together that she passed. I did think it was odd to see so many references in one day but obviously I didn't follow through and read anything about her.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 15th, 2023 at 6:56:00 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

R.I.P.

Never got into the show, but I have been inside the Santa Monica house that's filmed in the opening credits. It's actually an old single family home not an apartment complex.

link to original post

You’re not a spring chicken if you can remember that show. I vaguely remember it

Nice ficus tree btw
It’s all about making that GTA
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 15th, 2023 at 7:40:53 PM permalink
I am a big Three's Company fan. Bring up the show in my presence and you will be tortured with Three's Company trivia for about an hour.

However, I've always had hard feelings about her ruining the show by leaving. As I understand it, she demanded equal pay to John Ritter. It was a reasonable demand, but the fans paid the price too. Maybe the show was going downhill anyway and I shouldn't blame it on her.

Thank you, Suzanne, for a fun show, while it lasted. RIP.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 16th, 2023 at 2:50:49 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I am a big Three's Company fan. Bring up the show in my presence and you will be tortured with Three's Company trivia for about an hour.

However, I've always had hard feelings about her ruining the show by leaving. As I understand it, she demanded equal pay to John Ritter. It was a reasonable demand, but the fans paid the price too. Maybe the show was going downhill anyway and I shouldn't blame it on her.

link to original post

Did you see the made for TV movie about the show?

I forget if it was to be equal to Ritter but it was IIRC $100K per episode and also referenced Larry Hag.man's new "Dallas" deal. If the aforesaid movie is to be believed she also wanted a piece of the series ownership.

The thing on equal pay to Ritter was Ritter was the star. He was the anchor. She was never going to get pay equal to his and the way she went about it ruined her career for years and it never got back to where it was before.

FWIW, my ranking of dateability/desirability of the roommates:

1. Terri
2. Cindy
3. Janet
4. Chrissy
MDawg
MDawg
October 16th, 2023 at 4:29:21 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: MDawg

R.I.P.

link to original post

You’re not a spring chicken if you can remember that show. I vaguely remember it

Nice ficus tree btw
link to original post

Remembering and knowing about are two different things. I am familiar with every classic Twilight Zone episode but watched almost none of the re-makes from the 2000s. Doesn't mean I was a kid or adult in the '50s.

I like The Beatles doesn't mean I grew up in the '60s.

And, ever heard of syndication reruns?
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 16th, 2023 at 4:29:52 AM permalink
Yeah, but she had the ThighMaster.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 16th, 2023 at 6:14:03 AM permalink

1. Terri
2. Cindy
3. Janet
4. Chrissy
link to original post

Agree 100%. Not saying anything about her as a person, but as far as Three's Company is concerned, I always thought Chrissy was the weakest link on the show. The other roommates that replaced her had much better chemistry (and were more attractive).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 16th, 2023 at 6:26:46 AM permalink

Yes. I didn't help my opinion of Suzanne Somers.

Quote:

1. Terri
2. Cindy
3. Janet
4. Chrissy
link to original post

Who doesn't like such rankings? Mine would be the same, except reversing Terri and Cindy.

darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
October 16th, 2023 at 7:55:19 AM permalink

link to original post

I forget if it was to be equal to Ritter but it was IIRC $100K per episode and also referenced Larry Hag.man's new "Dallas" deal. If the aforesaid movie is to be believed she also wanted a piece of the series ownership.

The thing on equal pay to Ritter was Ritter was the star. He was the anchor. She was never going to get pay equal to his and the way she went about it ruined her career for years and it never got back to where it was before.

1. Terri
2. Cindy
3. Janet
4. Chrissy
link to original post

She made a stand at a time when she was getting more publicity that than Ritter.

And a general consensus is that the show suffered and went downhill without her. So perhaps the show creators would have done better to acquiesce.

None of the other actors on the show went onto big stuff either except for Ritter and that was a gap of a few decades. So saying she ruined her career isn't really fair.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
October 16th, 2023 at 9:08:35 AM permalink
I seem to remember she was the one with most of the buzz. I was never much of a fan of the show. I loved the thighmaster.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
October 16th, 2023 at 9:22:44 AM permalink
All the jiggles and blonde and beautiful as well of course she was. Fit the ditzy blonde stereotype character the show wanted
MDawg
MDawg
October 16th, 2023 at 9:47:44 AM permalink
Come and Knock on Their Door! Secrets of ‘Three’s Company’ Uncovered (Exclusive)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 16th, 2023 at 2:48:21 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

She made a stand at a time when she was getting more publicity that than Ritter.

And a general consensus is that the show suffered and went downhill without her. So perhaps the show creators would have done better to acquiesce.

None of the other actors on the show went onto big stuff either except for Ritter and that was a gap of a few decades. So saying she ruined her career isn't really fair.
link to original post

Ritter was still the anchor. Consensus was that her husband manager ruined negotiations. Worse for her was the fact that this was a time when actresses like herself kept holding out for crazy money so they decided to make an example of her. Remember the "Chrissy Minute" when she was away with family and called the roommates? She did not even act with them, they just brought the scenes together. And all those scenes were stripped out for syndication as they added zero to the plot so better to put a commercial there.

To other actors. Harrisson had a part on "Dallas" for a few years and became an infomercial queen. I think DeWitt did not want to keep in acting. Barnes hated her time on the show and IIRC wanted to dial back. Knotts was old and near retirement. Sommers went nowhere for the most part for years.

As to flipping Cindy and Terri, uh, Terri was a nurse! That's retirement, gents.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 17th, 2023 at 5:25:47 PM permalink
Piper Laurie dead at 91. Her most famous role was Paul Newman's crippled girlfriend in The Hustler. That was a hugely popular movie especially after it was shown on TV in the '60s and had a lot to do with the revival of the pool room craze that swept the country.
darkoz
darkoz 
October 17th, 2023 at 5:32:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Piper Laurie dead at 91. Her most famous role was Paul Newman's crippled girlfriend in The Hustler. That was a hugely popular movie especially after it was shown on TV in the '60s and had a lot to do with the revival of the pool room craze that swept the country.
link to original post

Sad.

While a great role for her I disagree as to it being her most famous role. That would be as Carrie White's mother in Brian DePalma original version of Stephen Kings Carrie in 1976.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 17th, 2023 at 5:38:45 PM permalink

While a great role for her I disagree as to it being her most famous role. That would be as Carrie White's mother in Brian DePalma original version of Stephen Kings Carrie in 1976.
link to original post

Never saw it. That was one of the very few Stephen King books that I didn't like so I didn't bother to see the movie. I'm usually a huge Stephen King fan, read many of his books more than once. Another one I didn't like was Pet Semetery and I never saw that movie either.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
October 17th, 2023 at 7:04:12 PM permalink
Late to the game with Suzanne Somers talk. I remember eagerly awaiting a horror-thriller movie that had been promoted starring Suzanne Somers that had killer ants and that she would be nude on television!

Well, it turned out to be a movie filmed before she got famous on Three's Company, she had only a bit part, and she was shown dead with just her back exposed. Of course, what more could be shown on network television, but I was like 8. The movie can be seen in its entirety on YouTube.

Also, Norman Fell got screwed because they told him that if his spinoff show "The Ropers" didn't work out, he could come back to Three's Company. Of course, they had no intention of doing this, and Don Knotts added a freshness to the show anyway.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
October 18th, 2023 at 1:03:08 AM permalink
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 25th, 2023 at 3:04:42 AM permalink
r.i.p. Richard Roundtree - (Shaft) has passed at age 81

quote from the movie:

"Don't let your mouth get your ass in trouble"

Please don't feed the trolls
darkoz
darkoz 
October 25th, 2023 at 3:57:44 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

quote from the movie:

link to original post

Damn. He was one of my favorite actors. I was 7 years old when I saw him in Earthquake in Sensurround and stood up late just to see Shaft on the late show.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 25th, 2023 at 8:30:22 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

quote from the movie:

link to original post

Nobody was cooler than Bullitt.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 28th, 2023 at 6:28:09 PM permalink
Mathew Perry. Apparently a drowning but I would guess narcotics are involved.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 29th, 2023 at 1:44:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Mathew Perry. Apparently a drowning but I would guess narcotics are involved.
link to original post

On October 28, 2023,
Los Angeles Police Department officers found Perry dead in a hot tub at his Los Angeles home, and detectives are investigating; he was 54.
Police sources told TMZ he apparently drowned.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2023 at 6:34:42 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Mathew Perry.

He was only 54. Another celebrity I've outlived. I never got into Friends, so I don't have many feelings about this celebrity death.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
October 29th, 2023 at 6:39:57 AM permalink
Richard Moll portrayed "Bull" on Night Court.
He was 80.
May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 30th, 2023 at 6:35:25 AM permalink
Henry Kissinger dead at 100. Can't say there are too many people broken up about this.
Last edited by: TigerWu on Nov 30, 2023
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 30th, 2023 at 7:33:03 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Henry Kissinger dead at 100. Can't say there are too many people broken up about this.
link to original post

Warning -- Violation of rule against political speech. Replies to this warning are NOT welcome.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 30th, 2023 at 8:03:30 AM permalink
Also, Berkshire Hathaway's Charlie Munger just died at 99, and I say that in the most non-political way possible.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 30th, 2023 at 8:29:17 AM permalink

link to original post

Why the hate on him? Helped get us out of the mess Vietnam had become. Pretty much a genius as far as diplomacy goes.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 30th, 2023 at 8:37:41 AM permalink

link to original post

Why the hate on him? Helped get us out of the mess Vietnam had become. Pretty much a genius as far as diplomacy goes.
link to original post

You would have to read up on his criticisms elsewhere. I already got warned about it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 30th, 2023 at 8:46:50 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You would have to read up on his criticisms elsewhere. I already got warned about it.
link to original post

Interesting thing I read was he was quite the ladies man. Talk about not the stereotype.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 30th, 2023 at 9:00:36 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Second warning on political speech regarding Kissinger. The warning applies to everyone. Further posts on the topic will not get a warning.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 30th, 2023 at 10:18:28 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Second warning on political speech regarding Kissinger. The warning applies to everyone. Further posts on the topic will not get a warning.
link to original post

Sorry. This post was made at the same time you were posting the warning.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 2nd, 2023 at 4:03:05 PM permalink
Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman ever to serve on the Supreme Court. She was 93
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 2nd, 2023 at 4:12:31 PM permalink
I didn't know Burt Bacharach died earlier this year at 94. I didn't feel like Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head belonged in Butch Cassidy and I just found out Robert Redford didn't feel like it's belonged there either. I always thought it was a really dumb song and because it became a hit you heard it constantly everywhere.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
December 3rd, 2023 at 1:41:45 PM permalink

I did want to mention that Marty Krofft died of kidney failure last week at the age of 86.

Krofft and his older brother Sid were puppeteers who managed to work their way up from amusement park shows and into television. Their big break came when they designed the sets and outfits for Hanna-Barbera's "The Banana Splits" kid's show. They then formed their own production company and created the landmark children's television series "H.R. Pufnstuf." This led to many other kid's shows, most notably "Land of the Lost" which was run by former writers of the original "Star Trek." The Krofft brothers also produce grownup shows such as 70's variety staple “The Donny and Marie Show” and the political satire puppets of “D.C. Follies."

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2023 at 1:55:19 PM permalink

I did want to mention that Marty Krofft died of kidney failure last week at the age of 86.

Krofft and his older brother Sid were puppeteers who managed to work their way up from amusement park shows and into television. Their big break came when they designed the sets and outfits for Hanna-Barbera's "The Banana Splits" kid's show. They then formed their own production company and created the landmark children's television series "H.R. Pufnstuf." This led to many other kid's shows, most notably "Land of the Lost" which was run by former writers of the original "Star Trek." The Krofft brothers also produce grownup shows such as 70's variety staple “The Donny and Marie Show” and the political satire puppets of “D.C. Follies."

link to original post

Land of the Lost was simply amazing. Some of the stuff on it you watch now and can be amazed how complex it was for a kids show.
darkoz
darkoz 
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:16:24 PM permalink

link to original post

Land of the Lost was simply amazing. Some of the stuff on it you watch now and can be amazed how complex it was for a kids show.
link to original post

Agreed. Only our generation would know what a Sleestak is
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:26:08 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Agreed. Only our generation would know what a Sleestak is
link to original post

Those things were flipping scary! Luckily there could never be more than 3 in the same place.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
December 3rd, 2023 at 7:15:33 PM permalink
It's nice to see that it wasn't just me that was freaked out by H.R. Pufnstuf. About two minutes was all I could take as a kid. Now, at 58, maybe I could last three.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
December 3rd, 2023 at 8:04:50 PM permalink
I was entranced by the intro to Lidsville. I don't remember any of any of the episodes, just that wild intro.

Who's your friend when things get rough?
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 7th, 2023 at 9:48:46 PM permalink
Norman Lear dead at 101. These guys never talk about this, my dad never talked about it.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/H6SJ5r4tm-s
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 9th, 2023 at 5:08:35 PM permalink
Ryan O'Neal dead at 82. The only thing I really liked him in was the Stanley Kubrick movie Barry Lyndon. I bet you I've seen that half a dozen times. The entire movie was lit with nothing but candle light to give it authenticity.
  • Jump to: