Thread Rating:

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
September 4th, 2021 at 6:38:45 PM permalink

Legendary weatherman Willard Scott died today at the age of 87. No cause of death has been announced.

Scott spent 65 years working at NBC starting as a page at the Washington D.C. affiliate. Although best known for his comedic weather reporting on the Today Show, Scott also has the distinction of being the first actor to play Ronald McDonald, appearing in commercials in the Washington area starting in 1963.

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 4th, 2021 at 8:02:00 PM permalink
I was hoping he would make it to 100.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FastEddie
FastEddie
  • Threads: 0
September 4th, 2021 at 8:12:44 PM permalink
Can not post a link but Sidney Poitier at 94 is a handsome devil still.
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 6th, 2021 at 7:34:07 PM permalink

Actor Michael K. Williams was found dead of a suspected heroin overdose in his Brooklyn penthouse this afternoon. He was 54 years old.

Williams starred in such shows as "The Wire", "Boardwalk Empire" and "Hap and Leonard". He also appeared in many feature films including "12 Years a Slave", "The Gambler" and "Superfly" (2018).

Although he was middle aged, it's a senseless tragedy when an actor dies this young under these circumstances. On the other hand, if your dead pool is the type that scores points by subtracting the deceased's age from 100, this was a pretty good pick.

Gialmere
Gialmere
September 9th, 2021 at 6:00:35 PM permalink

Character actor Michael Constantine died Wednesday at the age 94. He had been ill for several years, but his official cause of death was not revealed.

With almost 200 film and TV credits, Constantine was one of those faces you always recognized even if you couldn't recall the name. These days he's best know as the father in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding". He won an Emmy for his role as principal Seymour Kaufman in the 70's series “Room 222”. You might also remember as the Sheriff in the Twilight Zone episode "I Am the Night—Color Me Black".

Gialmere
Gialmere
September 14th, 2021 at 1:23:17 PM permalink

Comedian Norm MacDonald died today at the age of 61. He had been quietly battling cancer for the last nine years.

Apart from his stand up routine, MacDonald is best known for a five year stint on Saturday Night Live including acting as the anchor of the show's Weekend Update segment. He would go on to have his own sitcom which ran for three seasons.

Gialmere
Gialmere
September 29th, 2021 at 5:59:28 PM permalink

Disney child star Tommy Kirk was found dead in his Las Vegas home yesterday. He was 79. No cause of death has been released.

During the 50s and 60s he appeared in several famous Disney films, most notably "Old Yeller" but also "The Shaggy Dog", "Swiss Family Robinson", "The Absent Minded Professor", "Son of Flubber" and "The Monkey's Uncle". His employment fizzled in his 20s as he became addicted to drugs and also came out of the closet at a time when that wasn't a good career move. Still, although he was fired by Disney, he was honored as a Disney Legend in 2006.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2021 at 7:54:36 PM permalink
I saw most of those movies as a kid. Back then you didn't care much about the names of the actors, you just enjoyed the story.

Well, thank you, Tommy, for the entertainment. RIP.
Gialmere
Gialmere
October 18th, 2021 at 6:34:59 AM permalink

Colin Powell has died from Covid complications at the age of 84.

Powell was the first black Secretary of State back when Bush 43 was president. He became a household name when he was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the first Gulf War.

In case you're wondering, yes, he was fully vaccinated
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
October 18th, 2021 at 6:46:50 AM permalink
This is sad news. I think he was very well respected across the political spectrum for his years of service in the military, his thoughtfulness, and his professionalism.

There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
ben771williams
ben771williams
  • Threads: 1
October 20th, 2021 at 4:28:34 AM permalink
Friends, a year ago Randall James Hamilton Zwinge, the great debunker and illusionist, died. I grew up on his programs, in my school years I read his instructive books, if anyone is interested in such things and even if not interested, I recommend to read the book "Trickery and Deception. Psychics, telepathy, unicorns and other delusions.

Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
smoothgrh
October 20th, 2021 at 6:51:41 PM permalink

The Oscar-winning British composer and lyricist Leslie Bricusse died on Tuesday at the age of 90. No cause of death was released.

Bricusse is probably best known for writing the lyrics to the James Bond theme songs "Goldfinger" and "You Only Live Twice", along with the songs from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" such as "Pure Imagination" and "The Candy Man". Other film credits include "Victor Victoria", "Scrooge" and "Hook". He won the best song Oscar for "Talk to the Animals" from the 1968 version of "Doctor Doolittle".

TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
October 21st, 2021 at 6:45:36 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Powell was the first black Secretary of State back when Bush 43 was president. He became a household name when he was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the first Gulf War.

link to original post

You are correct that he was vaccinated but his case should not be taken as evidence that vaccines don't work for the general public. Powell had been undergoing treatment for Multiple Myeloma. A side effect of the treatment is suppression of the immune system. That, in turn, means that for most patients the vaccines have no effect. I myself have had 3 shots of the Pfizer vaccine with zero antibody response. Needless to say, I don't go out in public much these days and when I do it's with a full N-95 mask. I'm guessing Powell was careful but there are no guarantees or do-overs in a situation like this.

EDIT: added part about general public. About 3% of US population is immunocompromised so the other 97% is going to be well protected.
Last edited by: TumblingBones on Oct 21, 2021
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
TumblingBones
October 21st, 2021 at 11:10:01 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

link to original post

You are correct that he was vaccinated but his case should not be taken as evidence that vaccines don't work for the general public. Powell had been undergoing treatment for Multiple Myeloma. A side effect of the treatment is suppression of the immune system. That, in turn, means that for most patients the vaccines have no effect. I myself have had 3 shots of the Pfizer vaccine with zero antibody response. Needless to say, I don't go out in public much these days and when I do it's with a full N-95 mask. I'm guessing Powell was careful but there are no guarantees or do-overs in a situation like this.

EDIT: added part about general public. About 3% of US population is immunocompromised so the other 97% is going to be well protected.
link to original post

I believe a better number is 9% of the public is immunocompromised.

"It’s estimated that about 10 million people in the United States (3.6 percent of the population) are immunocompromised. But that’s likely an underestimate because it only includes those with HIV/AIDS (diagnosed and undiagnosed), organ transplant recipients, and cancer patients; there’s a sizable population that takes immunosuppressive drugs for other disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease." [ link=https://thebulletin.org/2008/01/the-growing-number-of-immunocompromised/]SOURCE

Indeed, there are are many dozens of auto-immune diseases for which the standard treatment involves oral chemotherapy drugs that suppress the immune system including common diseases like asthma. The lack of specific numbers on the internet is absolutely remarkable, I have attended medical symposia on vasculitis (a specific category of auto-immune diseases) and came away with an impression of about 9% of the population are on immunosupressant drugs like steroids( Prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone), Azathioprine (Imuran), Methotrexate, and Rituximab (Rituxan, which is a biologic/infusion).

Unfortunately, my wife is one of the immunocompromised, hence my incentive to study this topic.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
October 21st, 2021 at 11:10:03 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

link to original post

link to original post

I believe a better number is 9% of the public is immunocompromised. here is the 3.6% estimate but note the disclaimer

"It’s estimated that about 10 million people in the United States (3.6 percent of the population) are immunocompromised. But that’s likely an underestimate because it only includes those with HIV/AIDS (diagnosed and undiagnosed), organ transplant recipients, and cancer patients; there’s a sizable population that takes immunosuppressive drugs for other disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease." A link for the source is https://thebulletin.org/2008/01/the-growing-number-of-immunocompromised/

Indeed, there are are many dozens of auto-immune diseases for which the standard treatment involves oral chemotherapy drugs that suppress the immune system including common diseases like asthma. The lack of specific numbers on the internet is absolutely remarkable, I have attended medical symposia on vasculitis (a specific category of auto-immune diseases) and came away with an impression of about 9% of the population are on immunosupressant drugs like steroids( Prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone), Azathioprine (Imuran), Methotrexate, and Rituximab (Rituxan, which is a biologic/infusion) and others.

Unfortunately, my wife is one of the immunocompromised, hence my incentive to study this topic.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Gialmere
Gialmere
October 27th, 2021 at 5:36:18 PM permalink

Comedian Mort Sahl died on Tuesday of what is being described as “peacefully” of “old age”. He was 94.
Sahl was known for bold social commentary on current events and scathing stand-up routines targeting political heavyweights. His intellectual "flow of conscious" style is credited for paving the way for comics such as Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. He became a staple on late-night and variety shows and also hosted award shows.
---------------------------------

Actor Val Bisoglio died last week at his home in California. Has was 95. No cause of death was released.

Bisoglio is probably best remembered as Danny, who owned the restaurant everyone hung out at on “Quincy, M.E.” He's also remembered for playing the abusive dad in "Saturday Night Fever", and as Junior Soprano’s spacey caretaker Murf on “The Sopranos".
---------------------------------

Actor Peter Scolari died last Friday morning at the age of 66 after a two-year battle with cancer.

Although he's been in many films and TV shows, Scolari is probably best remembered for starring with Tom Hanks in the sitcom “Bosom Buddies”. He was also a regular on the sitcom "Newhart", and was just this year appearing in the show "Evil".
stonethehustler
stonethehustler
  • Threads: 4
November 9th, 2021 at 7:58:33 AM permalink
Covid took so many good people :( it is just too sad to watch this thread....
Gialmere
Gialmere
November 9th, 2021 at 6:49:01 PM permalink

Actor Dean Stockwell died last Sunday at his Hollywood home of what his family is calling natural causes. He was 85.

Stockwell appeared in many films and TV shows but is probably best remembered for playing Admiral Al Calavicci in the show "Quantum Leap". He received four Emmy nominations and a Golden Globe Award for the role. Other notable appearances include "Blue Velvet" (1986), "Dune" (1984), and "Married to the Mob" (1988) — which earned Stockwell an Academy Award nomination for Supporting Actor.

Stockwell also starred in a popular 1961 episode of "The Twilight Zone" called “A Quality of Mercy,” in which he plays a bizarre double role of American and Japanese lieutenants on either side of pending massacres.

Gialmere
Gialmere
November 11th, 2021 at 2:33:39 PM permalink
Funeral Trivia Quiz #1

1) What's the difference between a coffin and a casket?

2) What's the difference between a funeral home and a mortuary?

3) What's the difference between a funeral service and a memorial service?

4) What is the difference between a funeral director, mortician, and an undertaker?

5) What's the difference between how the casket of a Catholic priest is oriented during a funeral mass as opposed to a Parishioner?

6) A Jewish coffin is traditionally made of what substance?

7) On average, how long does it take a mortician to cremate a human body?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 11th, 2021 at 3:03:38 PM permalink
I like this! Here are my answers, without searching.

1. A casket is rectangular. A coffin is an irregular hexagon. Wide at the hips and narrow at the head and feet. What vampires like to sleep in.
2. A mortuary is where they prepare the body for burial, cremation, or viewing. The funeral home is where they might have the funeral, sell caskets, and services for the living. I think the two can be in the same building.
3. I think the body of the deceased is at a funeral just before the bury it. For a cremation, I expect the would bury or scatter the ashes at the funeral. A memorial service is more of a celebrity thing. At a memorial service, the body probably won't be there and it probably lasts longer than a funeral. I suppose a memorial service might be in order if there wasn't enough time to plan a funeral, so they rushed that and did a service after the fact.
4. Funeral director: The person who runs the business end of the whole process.
Mortician: The one who deals with the bodies. Probably spends most of his time embalming.
Undertaker: Not sure here, but I think he makes such arrangements as digging the hole and making the cemetery look nice.
5. I don't know.
6. I'll go with wood. If forced to be specific, cedar.
7. I'd guess about 15 minutes. It takes a while to burn a body down to ashes and chunks of bone.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 11th, 2021 at 5:06:36 PM permalink
I believe cremation takes about 2 hours for the average body.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 12th, 2021 at 4:39:14 AM permalink

Funeral Trivia Quiz #1

1) What's the difference between a coffin and a casket?

2) What's the difference between a funeral home and a mortuary?

3) What's the difference between a funeral service and a memorial service?

4) What is the difference between a funeral director, mortician, and an undertaker?

5) What's the difference between how the casket of a Catholic priest is oriented during a funeral mass as opposed to a Parishioner?

6) A Jewish coffin is traditionally made of what substance?

7) On average, how long does it take a mortician to cremate a human body?

link to original post

Wife’s ex’s family owned a funeral home. Her ex worked there until he stopped working. I’m going to see how she does on this quiz!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 12th, 2021 at 4:54:05 AM permalink
1. Shape
2. Mortuary is where the ‘work’ gets done. Funeral Home is where the service is.
3. Funeral Service is close in time to the death. Memorial Service is not.
4. Funeral director sits with family for calling hours.
Mortician works with the body directly.
Undertaker works in a crematory. She thinks mortician and undertaker are basically interchangeable.
5. 90 degree different. Parishioners are sideways. Priests perpendicular.
6. Pine (this was my answer, not wife’s)
7. One hour.

She said she guessed on 5 and 7 and had no idea on 6. No Jews in Lockport, NY.
Gialmere
Gialmere
November 13th, 2021 at 12:53:10 PM permalink
Answers

In the US, caskets became popular at the beginning of the 20th Century.

This is a trick question as the two terms are synonymous. Strangely, in the United States, "funeral homes" are more typically found east of the Mississippi while people in the west seem to prefer the word "mortuary".

The main difference is the remains of the deceased are present at a funeral service and not at a memorial service (where pictures are typically used). A funeral is therefore a more formal affair and is usually immediately followed by a procession to the cemetery where the burial service and internment take place.

In modern days these terms are synonymous. If, however, you wish to split hairs then a "funeral director" owns and operates a funeral home. A "mortician" directly prepares the remains of the deceased by embalming, cremating etc. (Note that a funeral director is also often the mortician which is probably why the terms started blurring together.) "Undertaker" is a generic term referring to anyone in the funeral industry who, in some capacity, helps the deceased to their final resting places.

For most funerals, the casket is placed sideways with the head of the deceased oriented to left from the mourners point of view. (Did you ever notice that caskets are hinged on the left side?)

At a Catholic funeral mass, however, the casket is oriented with one end towards the altar and the other end toward the pews. A priest has his head at the altar end and his feet at the pew end. A parishioner is oriented in reverse. This symbolizes the person's place in church while alive. The priest faced the congregation speaking the word of God. The parishioner faced the altar hearing the word of God.

Traditionally a Jewish coffin/casket is made entirely of wood. (It doesn't matter what type.) Wooden pegs hold the box together. Ornamentation is minimal to symbolize that all are equal in death. In fact, Orthodox Jewish coffins are about as humble as you can get.

At a typical 1400 to 1600 degrees Fahrenheit, it takes an average of two hours to cremate a human body. At this time and temperature all that's left is bone fragments. These are taken and further ground into a rough powder. So a funeral urn contains not so much ash as bone fragments.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 13th, 2021 at 5:34:39 PM permalink
Good stuff! I predict we'll see this information again. Here some some of my own I plan to add.

1. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross described the five stages of grieving. What are they, in order?
  2. What is algor mortis?
  3. What tool does the Grim Reaper hold?
  4. True or false – hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.
  5. What is the most important artificial implant to remove from a body before cremation?
  6. True or false – breast implants should be removed before cremation?
  7. True of false -- It is illegal to have an open-casket viewing without embalming the body?
  8. True or false – spontaneous human combustion. In other words, living people have been known to spontaneously combust, with no cause.
  9. The Abbey Road album cover portrayed the Beatles in various roles that one might encounter in relation to a funeral. What were they?
Last edited by: Wizard on Nov 13, 2021
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 14th, 2021 at 11:56:42 AM permalink
I don't want to be accused of thumbtacking, so let me add a 10th question:

10. According to the song "Don't Fear the Reaper," how many people die everyday? What is, roughly, the actual number?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 14th, 2021 at 12:01:51 PM permalink
I’m guessing “More cowbell” is not in the answer.

Never mind.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 14th, 2021 at 3:39:08 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Good stuff! I predict we'll see this information again. Here some some of my own I plan to add.

1. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross described the five stages of grieving. What are they, in order?
  2. What is algor mortis?
  3. What tool does the Grim Reaper hold?
  4. True or false – hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.
  5. What is the most important artificial implant to remove from a body before cremation?
  6. True or false – breast implants should be removed before cremation?
  7. True of false -- It is illegal to have an open-casket viewing without embalming the body?
  8. True or false – spontaneous human combustion. In other words, living people have been known to spontaneously combust, with no cause.
  9. The Abbey Road album cover portrayed the Beatles in various roles that one might encounter in relation to a funeral. What were they?

link to original post

without searching the internet:

1. Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance - the same stages I went through when I was named WOV Moderator.
2. Cooling of the body to room temperature (or outdoor temperature)
3. Scythe
4. True which explains the hair and fingernails on corpses shown in comics and movies.
5. Guess: Pacemaker?
6. Guess No? And if breast implants are indeed removed, what do the morticians do with them? And what is that sucking sound I hear from funeral homes?
7. Guess- Yes?
8. Yes, there are recorded official cases of spontaneous human combustion
9. I don't know.
10: Dunno. Guess 120 million per year which is about 300,000 per day?
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Nov 14, 2021
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
November 14th, 2021 at 3:53:56 PM permalink
Sam Huff passed away after a long bout with dementia. Sam was the best defensive player of his era, and actually had the now-standard 4-3 defense designed around him. He was the first NFL player featured on the cover of Time and was the first player ever to be miked up during a game, As my father once told me- He was LT before LT.
He is in both the College and NFL Halls of Fame. A star in college, he was an undersized lineman his first NFL season and actually quit the game until then defensive coach Vince Lombardi changed his defensive scheme and introduced a defense
designed to have the ball flow into the inside linebacker. Huff retired in 1968 but joined Lombardi when Vince returned to coach Washington in 1970.
After football, Mr. Huff worked about a deal where NFL teams stayed at Marriot Hotels and received a booking fee for over 60,000 rooms before it expired.
Rest in peace.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rsactuary
rsactuary
November 14th, 2021 at 4:50:23 PM permalink
Hair and fingernails do not grow after death. The skin around them shrinks, giving the appearance that they have grown.

You do not have to be embalmed for an open casket, but you better do it quickly.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 14th, 2021 at 5:19:57 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Hair and fingernails do not grow after death. The skin around them shrinks, giving the appearance that they have grown.

This is my understanding as well. May this myth rest in peace.

Quote:

You do not have to be embalmed for an open casket, but you better do it quickly.
link to original post

I agree here too.

Just out of curiosity, to the non-American members, are embalming and open-casket funerals a thing outside the US? Vladimir Lenin, excluded. I absolutely would not want that for myself and don't get the appeal.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 15th, 2021 at 11:02:03 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I'm going to throw the challenge flag at this.

I claim that bodies spontaneously combusting is a myth.

Yes, there have been cases of somebody apparently burning to death in a bed or chair, with the bed or chair still mostly in tact. However, in such cases, nobody was around to see what caused it.

I submit that most cases were along the lines of a very obese person smoking on a fireproof chair or mattress, dying of natural causes, the cigarette ignites the clothing and perhaps a book, magazine, or newspaper, the skin is punctured in the fire, and the entire body slowly burns, with the fat acting like wax and the clothing like a wick.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 15th, 2021 at 1:45:25 PM permalink

Quote: gordonm888

I'm going to throw the challenge flag at this.

I claim that bodies spontaneously combusting is a myth.

Yes, there have been cases of somebody apparently burning to death in a bed or chair, with the bed or chair still mostly in tact. However, in such cases, nobody was around to see what caused it.

I submit that most cases were along the lines of a very obese person smoking on a fireproof chair or mattress, dying of natural causes, the cigarette ignites the clothing and perhaps a book, magazine, or newspaper, the skin is punctured in the fire, and the entire body slowly burns, with the fat acting like wax and the clothing like a wick.
link to original post

Okay, I accept this. I had previously read that there have been documented cases of spontaneous combustion without any known explanation, but I am far from being an expert on this subject and I concede that I am likely misinformed. And maybe some poor wretches have had a digestive tract problem with massive flatulence -I mean some sort of major medical issue out of the ordinary - and the methane gas in their flatulence in the room was ignited somehow. But no argument from me. I enjoy learning and hope to keep learning continuously until I die (or until I spontaneously combust, lol.)
billryan
billryan 
November 15th, 2021 at 2:03:49 PM permalink
There was a case in Ireland not that long ago that the Coroner ruled was death by spontaneous combustion. It doesn't make it real, but it was Official.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 16th, 2021 at 8:21:58 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

There was a case in Ireland not that long ago that the Coroner ruled was death by spontaneous combustion. It doesn't make it real, but it was Official.
link to original post

Can you site a source?
billryan
billryan 
November 16th, 2021 at 8:46:10 AM permalink

Quote: billryan

link to original post

Can you site a source?
link to original post

The gentleman's name was Michael Faherty, and if you google his name and spontaneous combustion, you will see many stories. I'm not claiming it actually happened, but it was listed as the official cause of death.
Starburger
Starburger
  • Threads: 2
November 17th, 2021 at 9:57:40 AM permalink
A celebrity death I did not see coming is/was Norm Macdonald. I assumed he had many years left in him and had no idea he was sick.
One man's offense is another man's humor.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
smoothgrh
November 21st, 2021 at 10:57:45 AM permalink

Prolific character actor Art LaFleur died Nov. 17 after a decade-long battle with Parkinson’s disease. He was 78.

With his memorable face, LaFleur was good at both comedy and drama. He's probably best remembered for playing the Tooth Fairy in the Tim Allen "Santa Clause" films, first baseman Chick Gandil in "Field of Dreams, and (in another baseball classic) Babe Ruth in the "The Sandlot".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jazz musician Dave Frishberg died peacefully at his home in Portland Oregon last Wednesday. No specific cause of death was released. He was 88.

An accomplished singer and pianist, Frishberg had a long career writing silly, witty songs for both Hollywood and other jazz artists. He's best remembered, however, for his work in children's music, having penned the Schoolhouse Rock classic "I'm just a Bill".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The family of Irish actor Gavan O’Herlihy have revealed that the actor died on Sept 15. He was 70. No cause of death was given but they stated it was not because of COVID-19.

O’Herlihy had a prolific career appearing in such films as "Willow" and "Never say Never Again". He was also a regular on the original "Lonesome Dove" TV mini series.

Oddly, he'll be most remembered as big brother Chuck Cunningham on the first season of the TV show "Happy Days". O’Herlihy asked to leave the show when it became obvious that he'd have very little to do. The producers agreed eventually leading to the character vanishing. So "Happy Days" would end up coining two Hollywood terms: "Jumping the Shark" (which Fonzie actually did) in which a show is creatively bankrupt and running on autopilot, and "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome" where a problematic or no longer needed character is simply erased from a show as if it never existed.

billryan
billryan 
November 21st, 2021 at 12:56:18 PM permalink
Leaving Happy Days was quite the career move.
R.I.P
Gialmere
Gialmere
December 2nd, 2021 at 7:30:58 PM permalink

With the Reaper recently harvesting from the cast of "Happy Days," he now swings his scythe at its spin-off show "Laverne & Shirley."

It has been announced that Eddie Mekka, the Tony-nominated actor best known for his role as Carmine “The Big Ragu” Ragusa of “Laverne & Shirley," died last Friday. He was 69. No cause of death was announced.

In addition to the Broadway stage and 150 episodes of “Laverne & Shirley," Mekka also appeared in such films as "A League of Their Own" and the remake of "Weird Science." His passing leaves Cindy Williams ("American Graffiti") and Michael McKean ("This Is Spinal Tap," "Better Call Saul") as the only surviving L&S main cast members.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veteran actor and stuntman Tommy Lane passed away Monday at Florida Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale. He was 83. Death came after a lengthy battle with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Lane broke into show business with a small role on the TV show "Flipper". He shot to prominence after appearing in Richard Roundtree’s classic crime film “Shaft” — widely perceived as one of the most important films of the 1970s. (He was the guy who crashes through Shaft's office window.) He's best remembered. however, for playing Adam, one of Dr. Kananga's henchmen in the James Bond film "Live and Let Die." Although the character of Adam isn't as flamboyant as Tee Hee or Baron Samedi, it was a pretty big role for Lane especially in the movie's famous boat chase.

Here is Lane sharing a scene with a scenery chewing Clifton James who played Sheriff JW Pepper...

Last edited by: Gialmere on Dec 3, 2021
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
smoothgrh
December 2nd, 2021 at 7:51:13 PM permalink

It has been announced that Eddie Mekka, the Tony-nominated actor best known for his role as Carmine “The Big Ragu” Ragusa of “Laverne & Shirley," died last Friday. He was 69. No cause of death was announced.
link to original post

Shoot. I liked, really liked, L&S. I can clearly remember it coming on 8:30 PM on ABC (channel 7 in Los Angeles) on Thursday nights. I went to the taping of an episode where Carmine played a key role.

What can I say, rest in peace and 69 it too early to go. Hope to have a pizza & beer with you at the Pizza Bowl in the sky.

I will also warn you to not bring up L&S in my presence, lest you be tortured with L&S trivia for at least an hour and a demand you sing the theme song. By the way, when I incorporated a business in Nevada, I wanted Hasenpfeffer Inc., but it was already taken.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
December 2nd, 2021 at 8:04:56 PM permalink
Carmine "The Big Ragoo" Ragusa Sings "Jingle Bell Rock" - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0D78vyBqCs
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 2nd, 2021 at 8:52:32 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Carmine "The Big Ragoo" Ragusa Sings "Jingle Bell Rock" - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0D78vyBqCs
link to original post

I hate that song. Almost as much as Feliz Navidad.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
December 2nd, 2021 at 9:02:03 PM permalink
I was happy to see Michael McKean appear in a great episode of "The Good Place." Nice to see these actors from my childhood appear here and there.

I made my kids watch the Laverne and Shirley episode that parodied "Mission: Impossible" — it was so suspenseful when I was 11 than I yelled in frustration when I saw the words "To Be Continued…"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2021 at 3:44:04 AM permalink

link to original post

Shoot. I liked, really liked, L&S. I can clearly remember it coming on 8:30 PM on ABC (channel 7 in Los Angeles) on Thursday nights. I went to the taping of an episode where Carmine played a key role.

What can I say, rest in peace and 69 it too early to go. Hope to have a pizza & beer with you at the Pizza Bowl in the sky.

I will also warn you to not bring up L&S in my presence, lest you be tortured with L&S trivia for at least an hour and a demand you sing the theme song. By the way, when I incorporated a business in Nevada, I wanted Hasenpfeffer Inc., but it was already taken.
link to original post

I thought it was the Cowboy Bob's in the sky?

I never quite got his and Shirley's relationship. They were dating but she clearly said if he was not a doctor it was not going anywhere.

What was his job in Milwaukee?

Trivia you might not know. That episode that focused on him at the very end, when he was going for some kind of play, was a test though not a true backdoor pilot for a spinoff based around the character.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 3rd, 2021 at 4:57:07 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I thought it was the Cowboy Bob's in the sky?

I don't know about Cowboy Bob's. The Pizza Bowl was a bowling alley and pizza restaurant that Laverne's parents ran and where Laverne sometimes worked.

Quote:

I never quite got his and Shirley's relationship. They were dating but she clearly said if he was not a doctor it was not going anywhere.

I suspect it was implied Carmine was gay and Shirley was just using him as a stand-in boyfriend until a doctor came along. You know back then being more direct about such things was verboten.

Quote:

What was his job in Milwaukee?

Yes, until everybody moved to LA. In Milwaukee Carmine was a struggling actor and dance teacher. In LA, I guess he was the same thing.

Quote:

Trivia you might not know. That episode that focused on him at the very end, when he was going for some kind of play, was a test though not a true backdoor pilot for a spinoff based around the character.
link to original post

I can't say I remember that one. The episode where I was in the audience was the one, I think, where Carmine moved to LA. L&S moved there a few weeks before.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2021 at 6:04:14 AM permalink

I don't know about Cowboy Bob's. The Pizza Bowl was a bowling alley and pizza restaurant that Laverne's parents ran and where Laverne sometimes worked.

They moved to LA and bought a Cowboy Bob's franchise. Why was as usual back then never mentioned, just the episode of/before the move they called their parents n LA and they had the franchise. Cowboy Bob himself was in an episode.

Quote:

I suspect it was implied Carmine was gay and Shirley was just using him as a stand-in boyfriend until a doctor came along. You know back then being more direct about such things was verboten.

Possible with all the singing and dancing he was into he had her as a beard.

Quote:

Yes, until everybody moved to LA. In Milwaukee Carmine was a struggling actor and dance teacher. In LA, I guess he was the same thing.

In LA he delivered singing telegrams.

I can't say I remember that one. The episode where I was in the audience was the one, I think, where Carmine moved to LA. L&S moved there a few weeks before.
link to original post

It was way near the end. Not sure if it was the penultimate episode but it might have been. IIRC they thought of pushing on with just Laverne but decided to just wrap it up and thus the whole ending of the series had a thrown together feel to it. But in it Carmine went to some big auditions that nothing came of. The one thing I do remember is the director said "Singers who can dance over here, dancers who can sing over there" and Carmine did not know which to go to.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 3rd, 2021 at 8:51:42 AM permalink

In LA he delivered singing telegrams....

It was way near the end. Not sure if it was the penultimate episode but it might have been. IIRC they thought of pushing on with just Laverne but decided to just wrap it up and thus the whole ending of the series had a thrown together feel to it. But in it Carmine went to some big auditions that nothing came of. The one thing I do remember is the director said "Singers who can dance over here, dancers who can sing over there" and Carmine did not know which to go to.
link to original post

I bow to your superior knowledge of L&S trivia. It's not often I say that. However, should we ever meet, I will challenge you to a L&S trivia smack-down. Happy Days too.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2021 at 9:01:45 AM permalink

link to original post

I bow to your superior knowledge of L&S trivia. It's not often I say that. However, should we ever meet, I will challenge you to a L&S trivia smack-down. Happy Days too.
link to original post

Thanks for the respect, but you will blow me away as this is kind of the limit of what I know. My dad didn't care for the show which means I did not see much of it. I just have one of those minds that fixates on little details.

Here is some trivia you might not know, Lenny and Squiggy went to the same college as Angela Bower and Sam Malone. And this is the same college where the ":-)" was invented.
billryan
billryan 
December 3rd, 2021 at 9:27:13 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Thanks for the respect, but you will blow me away as this is kind of the limit of what I know. My dad didn't care for the show which means I did not see much of it. I just have one of those minds that fixates on little details.

Here is some trivia you might not know, Lenny and Squiggy went to the same college as Angela Bower and Sam Malone. And this is the same college where the ":-)" was invented.
link to original post

As I recall it, Sam was a HS drop out.
  • Jump to: