I understand your argument.

And I am not a mod.

Just trying to help a fellow wov'er
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
March 3rd, 2021 at 11:53:53 AM permalink
Someone at Google has a sense of humor:

Go to Google.com and search for "Alex Trebek" — what's the first line?
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
March 3rd, 2021 at 12:07:30 PM permalink
"Did you mean: who is alex trebek"

Haha
It’s all about making that GTA
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 29th, 2021 at 9:25:10 PM permalink
Oh no! Gavin MacLeod.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 30th, 2021 at 12:13:33 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Oh no! Gavin MacLeod.

I loved all of the different parts he played in Hogan's Heroe's.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 30th, 2021 at 4:41:40 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Oh no! Gavin MacLeod.

I loved all of the different parts he played in Hogan's Heroe's.

I didn't even know he was in Hogan's Heroes until I saw a video about "Captain Stubing is up to something."

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 30th, 2021 at 5:39:23 PM permalink

Oh no! Gavin MacLeod.

Liked him on Mary Tyler Moore. Never saw a single episode of Love Boat because just the ads for that show made me want to hurt myself and others.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
June 13th, 2021 at 10:14:23 PM permalink
Ned Beatty dies at 83.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
June 13th, 2021 at 10:23:47 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Ned Beatty dies at 83.

The only movies I can cite in his filmography are Superman and Superman II.

And I don't think Otis was even a real DC Comics character before those movies!

Maybe I should read the obit.
Gialmere
Gialmere
June 13th, 2021 at 10:31:59 PM permalink
Here's a famous scene he was in...

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
June 13th, 2021 at 10:32:52 PM permalink
The most recent I remember him from is Shooter. That was with Mark Wahlberg as a sniper, and Danny Glover
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 14th, 2021 at 1:24:33 AM permalink

Here's a famous scene he was in...

Dueling Banjos was a mega hit. And it wasn't even two banjos.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 14th, 2021 at 2:49:01 PM permalink
I was just looking at Ned Beatty's filmography on IMDB. He has 165 credits. He was always a good actor, so for a time he was appeared in lots of movies.

Didn't realize he was in
- Exorcist II: The Heretic
- All the President's Men
- Nashville
- Toy Story 3 (vocal)
- Silver Streak
- Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
- Roseanne TV Series (He played Roseanne's Dad!)

in addition to Deliverance and the first two Superman films.

I hope he's in Heaven, if he went to Hell I suspect that he's squealing like a pig.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
June 14th, 2021 at 8:00:39 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I was just looking at Ned Beatty's filmography on IMDB. He has 165 credits. He was always a good actor, so for a time he was appeared in lots of movies.

Didn't realize he was in
- Exorcist II: The Heretic
- All the President's Men
- Nashville
- Toy Story 3 (vocal)
- Silver Streak
- Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
- Roseanne TV Series (He played Roseanne's Dad!)

in addition to Deliverance and the first two Superman films.

I hope he's in Heaven, if he went to Hell I suspect that he's squealing like a pig.

I saw a picture of him today and don't recognize him at all. I don't know if I ever saw anything he was in.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 14th, 2021 at 8:18:39 PM permalink

I saw a picture of him today and don't recognize him at all. I don't know if I ever saw anything he was in.

You have no idea what you're missing.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
June 14th, 2021 at 9:16:38 PM permalink
Beatty was great. I remember him from the Superman movies and of course the "squeal like a pig" scene from Deliverance. I also remember him distinctly for his curly hair and even some of his roles in some 80's films. Films like The Incredibly Shrinking Woman and The Toy.
The Toy trailer:
Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
smoothgrh
June 21st, 2021 at 8:53:36 PM permalink
Frank Bonner dies at 79.

It's strange. Now that the cast of WKRP is dying of old age, I suddenly feel a cold chill on the back of my neck.

bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
June 22nd, 2021 at 4:10:57 AM permalink
Also McHale's Navy.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
DRich
DRich
June 22nd, 2021 at 7:38:30 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Also McHale's Navy.

I know that show was very corny, but I really liked it. I will rewatch all of the episodes every few years.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 22nd, 2021 at 7:49:20 AM permalink

I know that show was very corny, but I really liked it. I will rewatch all of the episodes every few years.

McHale's Navy is an offshoot of a tv special called "Seven against The Sea.'. I don't think it has ever been officially released but I used to see people selling VHS copies so I'm sure it is out there. It had a very different tone to it. I was only a casual watcher, but didn't the crew transfer to the Atlantic for one season?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
smoothgrh
June 22nd, 2021 at 5:02:33 PM permalink

Joanne Linville dies at 93.

She was a character actor who became a familiar face on 60's and 70's television. If you're a fan of the original "Star Trek" TV show, you'll remember her as the Romulan commander in the 3rd season episode “The Enterprise Incident". She also appeared in the "Twilight Zone" episode "The Passerby" where she played a Civil War widow watching an endless parade of wounded Union and Confederate soldiers march pass her house.

Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
bobbartop
June 23rd, 2021 at 4:46:48 PM permalink

John McAfee dies at 75.

His anti-virus software is installed on over 500 million computers worldwide.

He committed suicide in a Barcelona prison today after the Spanish high court authorized his extradition to the United States on tax evasion charges. (He, evidently, had cryptocurrency issues as well.) He once posted a profanity-laced video on YouTube in 2013 that mocked the difficulty of removing the software that bore his name from computers. (True enough. I sure as hell can't get it off my computer.)

Full story at Reuters
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 23rd, 2021 at 5:15:06 PM permalink

John McAfee dies at 75.

Can't blame the guy, if you're 75 why would you want to spend the next eight or ten years in prison. He would have probably died there so he just saved himself a whole bunch of trouble.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 23rd, 2021 at 5:27:55 PM permalink

John McAfee dies at 75.

What a coincidence. I was just cursing McAfee this morning.

Out of the blue, Excel software had just vanished from my computer. I struggled for hours with the problem. Others have reported the same problem, to which people have said that it was probably caused by a McAfee update.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 23rd, 2021 at 6:43:06 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

it was probably caused by a McAfee update.

2 years ago I got a new laptop and McAfee comes free with Comcast. So I'm trying to install it with a service tech and it wouldn't work and wouldn't work and finally got too late at night and I had to quit. The guy seemed kind of upset. The next day I found out that Microsoft Defender comes free with Windows 10 and it is better than McAfee. That guy from McAfee bothered me for a month about that failed installation. I told him I didn't want it yet he would still email me every other day because he gets some kind of commission from Comcast every time he makes an installation. Even today two years later McAfee pops up once in awhile and tries to install itself. Forget them.
bobbartop
bobbartop
June 23rd, 2021 at 6:47:31 PM permalink

John McAfee dies at 75.

'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 23rd, 2021 at 6:47:44 PM permalink
I have a similar story. My first year of free McAfee ended recently and they tried to shake me down for a renewal. Based on the advice of a friend, I uninstalled McAfee and installed a competing and much less expensive product.

Then I had all kinds of problems. I don't want to get into it, but my computer seemed dependent on McAfee and wouldn't behave if it wasn't there. After hours of beating my head against the wall, I admitted defeat, uninstalled the other product and paid to download McAfee again. I feel like I am the victim of extortion.
bobbartop
bobbartop
June 23rd, 2021 at 6:51:41 PM permalink

I have a similar story. My first year of free McAfee ended recently and they tried to shake me down for a renewal. Based on the advice of a friend, I uninstalled McAfee and installed a competing and much less expensive product.

Then I had all kinds of problems. I don't want to get into it, but my computer seemed dependent on McAfee and wouldn't behave if it wasn't there. After hours of beating my head against the wall, I admitted defeat, uninstalled the other product and paid to download McAfee again. I feel like I am the victim of extortion.

Easy solution for that. Ubuntu.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 23rd, 2021 at 8:38:34 PM permalink

admitted defeat, uninstalled the other product and paid to download McAfee again. I feel like I am the victim of extortion.

It is a form of extortion. I wasted 2 hours of this guy's time trying to install it on my computer and man he wanted his money. He kept saying it's free it's free, and I told him I already had Windows Defender I didn't need it. McAfee is still partially installed in my laptop and like I said it pops up once in awhile and tries to install itself. But I shut it down before it gets a chance. Or a window will pop up and say McAfee is running a scan and I shut that down too. McAfee was always a pain in the ass anyway, it was always running scans in the background. Microsoft Defender I don't even know it's there. Once in awhile a pop up will say Defender just got rid of something. That's the only time I ever hear from it.
bobbartop
bobbartop
June 23rd, 2021 at 10:46:32 PM permalink
From Anthony Pompliano:

I once had the opportunity to spend the day with the legend @officialmcafee on his boat in the Bahamas.

He was kind, funny, and incredibly intelligent.

Will always remember that day. RIP to one of the world’s most unique individuals. pic.twitter.com/B5FnvDBRYK
— Pomp (@APompliano) June 23, 2021
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 27th, 2021 at 6:07:15 AM permalink
Just saw a Florida license plate, “RIP ALX”.

What is Coincidence?

Might not be short for Alex. Might even be another Alex.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Gialmere
Gialmere
July 20th, 2021 at 4:40:11 PM permalink

Robby Steinhardt died Saturday after a bout of acute pancreatitis and septic shock. He was 71.

If his name's not familiar to you his music certainly is. He was was the violinist, co-lead singer, and original member of the band Kansas. That's his violin solo in the classic tune "Dust in the Wind", a song that will no doubt be played at his memorial.

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 20th, 2021 at 4:46:55 PM permalink
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Gialmere
Gialmere
July 25th, 2021 at 5:58:31 PM permalink

Comedian Jackie Mason died yesterday at the age of 93. There's no official word on cause of death but it is known that he suffered from a variety of ailments including inflammation of the lungs. Covid does not appear to be a factor.

Although he was big as a standup act and was successful on Broadway, he wasn't really known for film or TV. He was, however, in such movies as "The Jerk" (1979), "History of the World: Part I" (1981) and "Caddyshack II" (1988). These days he's probably best known for voicing Rabbi Hyman Krustofski, Krusty the Clown's father in "The Simpsons", a role for which he won an Emmy.

Here's a little Mason Vegas trivia...

Quote: New York Times

In Las Vegas in 1966, after he made a few ill-considered remarks about Frank Sinatra’s recent marriage to the much younger Mia Farrow (“Frank soaks his dentures and Mia brushes her braces,” one joke went), an unidentified gunman fired a .22 pistol into his hotel room.

Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
smoothgrh
July 29th, 2021 at 6:10:04 PM permalink

TV pitchman, Ron Popeil, died yesterday at the age of 86. The cause has not been released but he had been rushed to the hospital Tuesday night.

Popeil was essentially the creator of the infomercial. His father was an inventor and, in the 50's, he began selling his dad's Chop-o-Matic device on television and never looked back. He's credited with coining the oft-used infomercial phrase, “But wait, there’s more!”

Like his father, Popeil became an inventor as well, creating such products as: Mr. Microphone (the first Karaoke machine), the Pocket Fisherman, the Smokeless Ashtray, Hair in a Can Spray, and the Rhinestone Stud Setter (later called the Bedazzler).

Mourners may send donations to Ron Popeil's favorite charity in five easy payments of only $19.99!

-----------------------------------------------

Dusty Hill, bass player for ZZ Top, died in his sleep on Wednesday. He was 72. No cause of death was cited.

ZZ Top was known in the 70's as a hard edge blues and rock band. Although Hill was not the main singer, he did sing lead in the famous song "Tush" from this era. The band would hit even bigger fame in the 80's as they became MTV staples with such songs as “Gimme All Your Lovin’,” “Sharp Dressed Man” and “Legs”.

-------------------------------------------------

If a ZZ Topp death doesn't make you feel old how about another Slipknot death?

Joey Jordison, a founding member of Slipknot, died in his sleep on Monday. He was 46 years old. Again, no cause of death has been released although it was no secret he was diagnosed with transverse myelitis, a form of multiple sclerosis, which caused him to not be able to play. Jordison’s death is preceded by Slipknot bassist Paul Gray, who died of a morphine overdose in 2010.

billryan
billryan
July 29th, 2021 at 6:25:09 PM permalink

Comedian Jackie Mason died yesterday at the age of 93. There's no official word on cause of death but it is known that he suffered from a variety of ailments including inflammation of the lungs. Covid does not appear to be a factor.

Although he was big as a standup act and was successful on Broadway, he wasn't really known for film or TV. He was, however, in such movies as "The Jerk" (1979), "History of the World: Part I" (1981) and "Caddyshack II" (1988). These days he's probably best known for voicing Rabbi Hyman Krustofski, Krusty the Clown's father in "The Simpsons", a role for which he won an Emmy.

Here's a little Mason Vegas trivia...

in the mid-80s, Jackie was a regular guest on the Soupy Sales show. One day I was driving with a friend, slightly buzzed and Soupy and Jackie got into some off the cuff nonsense that had me laughing so hard I had to pull over. Rest in Peace.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 30th, 2021 at 9:58:32 AM permalink
Quote: billyryan

in the mid-80s, Jackie was a regular guest on the Soupy Sales show. One day I was driving with a friend, slightly buzzed and Soupy and Jackie got into some off the cuff nonsense that had me laughing so hard I had to pull over. Rest in Peace.

I was sorry to hear of his passing. He was a funny man with NO boundaries and lots of chutzpah. Rest in Peace.

tuttigym
Gialmere
Gialmere
August 1st, 2021 at 5:02:59 PM permalink

If you enjoy playing the Dead Pools, here are some names found on most 2021 lists...

Betty White...99...Golden Girl
Dick Van Dyke...96...Actor
Bob Dole...98...Politican
Emperor Akihito...88...Japanese Emperor
Loretta Lynn...89...Country singer
Angela Lansbury ...96...Actress
Bob Barker...98...The Price is Right
Alan Greenspan...95...Economist
Henry Kissinger...98...Diplomat
Jimmy Carter...97...Ex US President

Here are some common picks that have already passed this year...
Prince Philip...99...Duke of Edinburgh
George Shultz...101...Politician
Rush Limbaugh...70...Political Commentator
Walter Mondale...93...Politician
Leon Spinks...68...Boxer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 1st, 2021 at 5:10:43 PM permalink

Like his father, Popeil became an inventor as well, creating such products as: Mr. Microphone (the first Karaoke machine), the Pocket Fisherman, the Smokeless Ashtray, Hair in a Can Spray, and the Rhinestone Stud Setter (later called the Bedazzler).

I had the smokeless ashtray because I lived with a smoker for a short time. It was a PoS. You had to put the lit end of the cigarette right next to the vent and it still only sucked in about 25% of the smoke. I want my money back.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
August 1st, 2021 at 6:43:34 PM permalink

I had the smokeless ashtray because I lived with a smoker for a short time. It was a PoS. You had to put the lit end of the cigarette right next to the vent and it still only sucked in about 25% of the smoke. I want my money back.

Operators are standing by!
billryan
billryan
August 1st, 2021 at 7:24:56 PM permalink
His Pocket Fisherman was beloved by teens of my day. Most of the beaches and piers closed at 10Pm, unless you were there to fish. As long as you had a $5 fishing permit and fishing gear, you could hang out and drink beer until dawn. Everybody I knew kept a half dozen of them in their car just in case we wanted to do some late night drinking. His invention made the life of bay constables pure hell.
Gialmere
Gialmere
August 8th, 2021 at 6:44:11 PM permalink

Markie Post, the actress best known for her roles in TV’s “Night Court”, "The Fall Guy" and “Scrubs” and the film “There’s Something About Mary,” died Saturday following a years-long battle with cancer. She was 70. Post got her start in the entertainment business as a game show producer before starting her on-camera career as a card dealer on NBC’s “Card Sharks” in the late 1970s.

Post is the second “Night Court” star to die in the last month. On July 11, Charlie Robinson, known for his role as the court clerk Mac, died at the age of 75 from cardiac arrest and organ failure due to septic shock and metastatic adenocarcinoma, a type of cancer.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2021 at 8:14:17 PM permalink
She was memorable

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 13th, 2021 at 1:33:45 PM permalink
Allen Glick, mob front man and 1970’s casino boss, has died

I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
August 13th, 2021 at 7:45:43 PM permalink
Ruthie Tompson is currently 110 years old, which makes her the oldest living celebrity in the world. She worked in a lot of Disney movies. She was born in 1910
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
Gialmere
Gialmere
August 22nd, 2021 at 10:01:50 PM permalink

Don Everly of the rock duo The Everly Brothers died Saturday at 84. No cause of death has been released.

Along with his sibling Phil (who died 5 years ago), the brothers recorded about three dozen hit records that made the Billboard Hot 100 chart. They were known for their signature melodies and acoustic guitar playing and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, the institution’s first year. Rolling Stone Magazine once described them as the “the most important vocal duo in rock.” In 1997, the crooners were given a lifetime achievement award at the Grammys.

Gialmere
Gialmere
August 24th, 2021 at 7:14:01 PM permalink

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts died today at age 80. No mention of cause of death although there are many rumors flying around the net. It is known that Watts stepped down from his role at the beginning of this month following an undisclosed medical procedure, just before the band was scheduled to relaunch a tour postponed by the pandemic. Watts is considered to be one of the greatest rock drummers of all time.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In other Reaper news....

Marilyn Eastman, a cult film star famous for the original “Night of the Living Dead,” died Sunday. She was 87.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Travers, saxophone player and founding member of the Brit pop and reggae band UB40, died of brain cancer on Sunday. He was 62. UB40 is probably best remembered for their cover version of Neil Diamond's "Red Red Wine.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 24th, 2021 at 7:35:52 PM permalink

Don Everly of the rock duo The Everly Brothers died Saturday at 84. No cause of death has been released.

Along with his sibling Phil (who died 5 years ago), the brothers recorded about three dozen hit records that made the Billboard Hot 100 chart. They were known for their signature melodies and acoustic guitar playing and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, the institution’s first year. Rolling Stone Magazine once described them as the “the most important vocal duo in rock.” In 1997, the crooners were given a lifetime achievement award at the Grammys.

This was their number one hit according to billboard.

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 25th, 2021 at 3:39:12 AM permalink
"White drummers don't swing, except for Charlie Watts." -Keith Richards

R.I.P.

I had read in early August that Watts was pulling out of the Stones U.S. tour for health reasons. Hope that the concerts go on because we are set to see them in Vegas November 6th.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Gialmere
Gialmere
August 29th, 2021 at 6:04:16 PM permalink

Actor Edward Asner died this morning at the age of 91. No cause of death has been released.

Asner is best known for playing the role of Lou Grant on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". He's the third cast member of the show to pass this year following the deaths of Cloris Leachman in January and Gavin MacLeod in May. (A dead pool trifecta.) At the age of 99, Betty White is now the show's only surviving main cast member

Younger fans know Asner as Santa Claus in the holiday classic "Elf" and as the voice of Carl, the old man in the Pixar film "Up".

• Jump to: