Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 27th, 2018 at 8:40:37 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

That's because 90-95% of diets aren't meant to be long term, and are just fads to sell products.

All those fad diets you hear about are only good for a few weeks or a few months. They're not sustainable eating patterns. So when someone goes on a diet, they follow it for two months, lose a bunch of weight, and they say, "Great, I've lost weight, now I can go back to my normal life." So when they start eating all that crap they did before, and put all the weight back on, they say, "Well, that diet didn't work at all!" That's how you get all these people saying diets don't work, or they fail, or whatever.

The only "diets" that work long term are broad, general eating patterns, like "vegetarian" or "Mediterranean." Even then, you have to keep doing it. Don't just do it until you lose weight, and go back to eating crap. Healthy diets don't fail... people do.

Don't "go on" a diet.... change your diet.

Tiger, if it were that easy then obesity wouldn't be an issue. Skinny people just dont understand that.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 27th, 2018 at 8:57:48 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I probably mistyped a little. Keto is definitely a lifestyle change. What I should have said is that lifestyle change may not be for me.

I wonder if there is anything wrong with many lifestyle changes. Like do Keto 3 weeks, do whatever you want for 10 days, do weight watchers for 3 weeks, do a fast for 3 days, do vegan for 2 weeks. It seems like doing something like this constantly gives you short term goals and each type of scenario gives you a benefit of some sort. If you give me a short term goal then I can crush it 100% of the time. Give me a 6 month goal and I will fail 100% of them time. I have tried tricking myself with multiple short term goals but if I know it is a trick it doesnt work.

I cant remember if I wrote it earlier but a kid I was talking to last week (and by kid I mean 27 years old, I am starting to feel old when I think of a 27 year old as a kid) has been doing the same thing for the last 7 years and he is in amazing shape.

m-f he does not eat from 8pm until noon, so a 16 hour fast. For the other 8 hours he basically does a keto diet but will eat some small amounts of carbs if he wants, but no outright sugar like candy and no calories at all in his drinks.
saturday, he eats as he wants and drinks as he wants such as beer, but does not drink sugary drinks.
Sunday, he will eat somewhat as he wants, but tries to restrict the calories and nothing fried. Basically just healthy eating.

He also does about 30 min of cardio a day.

Some random thoughts.

My biggest issue with all the pre-packaged diets like weight watchers, nutrisystem, and Jenny Craig is they rely so heavily on very processed foods, fake sugar molecules, no salt, no fat.

I went on Jenny Craig for 3.5 months in 1988. I lost 30 lbs. My hair turned dull and started falling out, my nails went brittle, I got dizzy easily, had tunnel vision. Pretty sure it was lack of fats, salt, and electrolytes (you drank a gallon of water a day and ate 900 calories of their food). Think they've improved some.

I will say with weight watchers, they do provide full menus for you to cook with natural ingredients, but their money is mostly made on the ww line of pre-packaged foods. And it's a lot easier to fill up the freezer than to prep and cook.

Fat naturally in food is good for you. Fake fats in flavoring lo-cal is not. Sugar is not. Sugar substitute molecules even worse. Marketing has played a large role in misleading people about what they're eating and what it does for or to you.

Good rule of thumb is to eat simple ingredients made well and give up the convenience of pre-packaged food unless the ingredient list is very short.

All that said, my personal bete noir is portion control. I eat extremely healthily, and cook most things from scratch. I just eat about double the size of meal I should to lose weight, so I'm losing very slowly.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 27th, 2018 at 9:35:41 AM permalink

Tiger, if it were that easy then obesity wouldn't be an issue. Skinny people just dont understand that.

It's not easy. I didn't say it was.

The concept is simple, but that doesn't equate to easy.

The people going on fad diets are the ones looking for the easy way out. That's what I'm saying.... don't go on a fad diet looking for easy weight loss. It won't work. It's not sustainable. You have to make a lifestyle change with your diet, that takes months if not several years, and yes, it's hard.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 27th, 2018 at 9:36:05 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Some random thoughts.

Always appreciated.

>My biggest issue with all the pre-packaged diets like weight watchers,
>nutrisystem, and Jenny Craig is they rely so heavily on very processed foods,
>fake sugar molecules, no salt, no fat.
Well they do say 'weight loss' not 'good health'.

>I went on Je.nny Craig for 3.5 months in 1988. I lost 30 lbs.
>My hair turned dull and started falling out, my nails went brittle,
>I got dizzy easily, had tunnel vision. Pretty sure it was lack of fats, salt, and electrolytes
>(you drank a gallon of water a day ......
You were washing out all your vitamins and minerals: hair, nails, vision... all sounds like a profound zinc deficiency.

> And it's a lot easier to fill up the freezer than to prep and cook.
That is the real problem.

>Fat naturally in food is good for you. Fake fats in flavoring lo-cal is not.
>Sugar is not. Sugar substitute molecules even worse.
>Marketing has played a large role in misleading people
>about what they're eating and what it does for or to you.
Marketing. I was in high school when 'non fat Pam' came out. It was non fat only because the serving size was based on something like one fourthousanth of a second. The company never cares if they mislead you, just if you buy the product.

>All that said, my personal bete noir is portion control.
>I eat extremely healthily, and cook most things from scratch.
>I just eat about double the size of meal I should to lose weight, so I'm losing very slowly.
Some "tricks" to try: Have a first course of soup. Hot soup if possible but cold soup works too. Do this about twenty minutes before the real meal. Or simply drink a glass of water at the beginning of the meal.
Another trick is to add baked beans in tomato sauce, it induces slight weight loss.
Any hot tea will help if you do a 'tea time' before dinner but Green Tea is the best for weight loss.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
August 27th, 2018 at 4:06:29 PM permalink
I recently watched the Seinfeld where they went to the non fat yogurt shop and everyone gained weight because there was actually fat in the yogurt.

Sort of funny how the current thinking is the exact opposite of back then.

There was even a mad men, a more recent show, where this guy's doctor told him to drink cream to help an ulcer. Then the cream Supposidly gave him heart problems and we were supposed to laugh at their ignorance.

Wonder what they'll be laughing at 20 years from now.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 27th, 2018 at 4:23:30 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Wonder what they'll be laughing at 20 years from now.

Drink some red wine for the anti-oxidents. Don't quit smoking because you'll get fat. Or start smoking to get slim. Or Jog for the health benefits and try not to get obsessed about the knee and foot injuries. Cycle to work to get fit, and try not to worry about a truck running over your head. Burn calories having sex... but oh yeah wear a condom and try not to let the wife find out, especially if she has a gun.
$:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 28th, 2018 at 3:12:39 AM permalink
>>Drink some red wine for the anti-oxidants.
Heck, ain't nobody saying that. Its just that IF you are going to consume wine, you might as well consume a beneficial one.
>> Don't quit smoking because you'll get fat.
People who do not quit smoking are unable to deal with their nicotine addiction, has nothing to do with weight. You should see the graffiti that medical students scribble on study notices that attempt to recruit "healthy smokers".
>> Or start smoking to get slim.
We already laugh at that one.
>>> Or Jog for the health benefits and try not to get obsessed about the knee and foot injuries.
Or raped and murdered such as Mollie Tibbetts. As the tee shirts say 'It happens".
>>Cycle to work to get fit, and try not to worry about a truck running over your head.
Truck versus bicycle might be better than truck versus car.
>>> Burn calories having sex... but oh yeah wear a condom
>>>and try not to let the wife find out, especially if she has a gun.
Ain't nobody ever going to laugh at that.

Real yogurt is high fat item and quite healthful. Its people who falsely value those 'low fat' and 'non fat' designations who ingest all the additives that are needed to make the low fat stuff palatable or stay emulsified.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 28th, 2018 at 10:31:26 AM permalink
I would say 20 years from now scientists find out that vaping cures cancer, and red bull gives you wings
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 28th, 2018 at 12:18:46 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

I would say 20 years from now scientists find out that vaping cures cancer, and red bull gives you wings

Unfortunately, many people seem to believe that those discoveries have already been made.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 28th, 2018 at 12:28:09 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Vaping can give you wings. Kinda.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 28th, 2018 at 2:49:51 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Vaping can give you wings. Kinda.

Those guys probably use unregulated mods or something. I've never had a mod blow up on me, and some of my mods have been through hell
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
October 14th, 2018 at 12:42:16 AM permalink
Jeers: 7/11 mislabeled the soda in their dispenser. I drank a ton of regular coke because I was like, "I poured this myself, it's not like I ordered it in a restaurant. It HAS to be diet." Unlucky that I'm not severely diabetic and could sue them.

Cheers: Well, to hell with it. I guess I'm doing a couple cheat days, though it's a shame to waste any of it on a coke. So, next day this guy sits down next to me at poker with takeout from The Palm which, if you don't know, is a fancy pants restaurant. I saw Anna Nicole Smith, Ray Liotta and Mick Foley at the one in LA on the same night. The dude gives me half of his chicken parm and pasta and there is no real conflict.

No, I didn't put out afterwards. It's not like it was lobster.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 14th, 2018 at 6:30:20 AM permalink
I'm surprised the store admitted to the mislabeling of their machine. How long had it been mislabeled without customer letting them know about it?

Anyway regular sugar laden coke is better for you than the artificial stuff.

I just woke up and took ananamide. Its mainly raw carob powder with some added herbs and spices in it. Had it in a glass of cold milk but contrary to the directions it does not really dissolve in it at all. Tastes rather unpleasant. Here I was expecting to get up and run around the room with vim and vigor as a result of ingesting it but I don't even have the energy to close the aluminumized plastic baggie it came in.

Some stimulant!!!
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
February 12th, 2019 at 6:44:36 PM permalink
Nearing the end of a 7 day fast. At the moment, I probably have about 5 pounds of fat that I'd still like to see go, ideally replaced with a bit of muscle. Not bad considering I ate a lot of unhelthy food during the holidays, on my trip to Mexico and then consumed like 18,000 calories at the SB party. When I refeed, I'll bloat back up a bit.

I've had some moments where I felt like trash. Others where I felt very focused and productive.

People, dating back to Pythagoras, have praised the mental clarity achieved by fasting. I've had some. I've only watched one 30 minute TV show and I couldn't wait for it to be over, even though it was a show I liked. Haven't wasted much time on forums or chats. No desire to. I've worked. I made some yuge spreadsheets for fantasy baseball. I've watched quite a few informational youtube vids. So in other words, I'm a lot less distracted. Also, quite calm.

I have had a bit of mental fogginess at times, and had some weird brain farts. This is normal for me, but I think it's gone up a notch.

There have been a few times where I've felt weak or very hungry, but not for very long. I've slept more, which is probably for the best since I normally have a lot of trouble sleeping.

However, I've been fine doing some light workouts. A few sets of push ups one day. A few sets of a dumbell routine the next. Less than I'd normally do, but I felt fine.

Been drinking a concoction called snake juice that I got from a lunatic on youtube. H20, apple cider vinegar, salt and no-salt. This is meant to provide the minerals and electrolytes you need so you don't have negative symptoms.

Day seven has been one of my best days. I'm toying with doing another day.

When I start eating, I will do two additional days of a "fast mimicking" diet, to continue autophagy. That is, very low carb, very low protein and maybe 800-1200 calories. There are very few foods that fit the bill. I go with avocados, olive oil, a few high fat nuts and about 1 square of very dark chocolate. Also, pickles.

While the autophagy is meant to gobble up old cells, pre cancer cells, scar tissue and growths, I did have a mild breakout, including a monster zit near my hairline. However, I also had some little bumps on my face that disappeared after I started fasting previously. Those had been there at least a year. The acne is probably a coincidence.

After you are used to fasting, especially if you are not a carb/sugar junkie, you don't really get the food withdrawals anymore. But I do REALLY want to eat. I've had food dreams that are like sex dreams. Again, this isn't a feeling of physical deprivation so much as going a long time without something you enjoy. Going out and running errands and bringing home some take out. Eating in a good restaurant. Cooking a nice dinner. Cheese.

Quote: FleaStiff

I'm surprised the store admitted to the mislabeling of their machine. How long had it been mislabeled without customer letting them know about it?

Anyway regular sugar laden coke is better for you than the artificial stuff.

I just woke up and took ananamide. Its mainly raw carob powder with some added herbs and spices in it. Had it in a glass of cold milk but contrary to the directions it does not really dissolve in it at all. Tastes rather unpleasant. Here I was expecting to get up and run around the room with vim and vigor as a result of ingesting it but I don't even have the energy to close the aluminumized plastic baggie it came in.

Some stimulant!!!

Just saw this. They didn't admit to anything. I was driving around drinking the coke and after a few inhalations I realized that it was 100% not diet.

I know diet is not good for you, but I'm pretty skeptical about it being worse than consuming a pound of corn syrup a day. Diet coke drinkers would be dropping dead left and right.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
February 13th, 2019 at 2:13:40 AM permalink

I know diet is not good for you, but I'm pretty skeptical about it being worse than consuming a pound of corn syrup a day. Diet coke drinkers would be dropping dead left and right.

They are.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 13th, 2019 at 9:07:26 AM permalink
They never did long-term testing on those artificial sugar molecules before they put them on the market. Only in the last 10-15 years are they noticing some long-term effects, mostly on heavy diet drinkers for decades. Mostly neurological, some of it emulates lupus, MS, or other nerve damage illnesses. The molecules don't flush out of your body as completely as they thought. They get trapped in fat storage cells .

Saccharine tasted the best. Too bad it gave lab rats cancer when ingested in ridiculous amounts. I find the others to have a bitter or odd aftertaste. I prefer unsweetened tea to any of the diet stuff, and otherwise just keep the regular soda to 1 or 2 a week.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 13th, 2019 at 10:23:31 AM permalink
I once read that the "diet" drinks, like Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, actually taste better as alcohol mixers versus the non-diet versions. I tried it out a few times and was surprised to find it actually DID taste better. The artificial sweeteners cut through the alcohol a little better and make it a more "mild" drink.

I went back to regular Coke for mixers, but I just thought that was an interesting taste test.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 13th, 2019 at 11:18:24 AM permalink

I once read that the "diet" drinks, like Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, actually taste better as alcohol mixers versus the non-diet versions. I tried it out a few times and was surprised to find it actually DID taste better. The artificial sweeteners cut through the alcohol a little better and make it a more "mild" drink.

I went back to regular Coke for mixers, but I just thought that was an interesting taste test.

A long Island Iced Tea made with anything but diet coke is just a boatload of liquor in a glass.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
RS
February 13th, 2019 at 4:11:00 PM permalink

They never did long-term testing on those artificial sugar molecules before they put them on the market. Only in the last 10-15 years are they noticing some long-term effects, mostly on heavy diet drinkers for decades. Mostly neurological, some of it emulates lupus, MS, or other nerve damage illnesses. The molecules don't flush out of your body as completely as they thought. They get trapped in fat storage cells .

Saccharine tasted the best. Too bad it gave lab rats cancer when ingested in ridiculous amounts. I find the others to have a bitter or odd aftertaste. I prefer unsweetened tea to any of the diet stuff, and otherwise just keep the regular soda to 1 or 2 a week.

All quite possible.

It's really hard to know anything about long term nutrition for that reason. It takes several decades to get the answers. And usually, it's not going to be a controlled experiment. I can understand why they don't wait for 50 years of testing to release a sweetener.

I do know that if I'd drank as much regular coke as I have diet, I'd be 100+ pounds overweight, have type 2 and a bunch of other ailments, wheras RN I'm probably above average health for an American my age.

I also have relatives who are diet drinkers who are in their sixties and 70s, in good health. Where that is almost impossible if you are drinking a few cans of corn syrup a day.

If they, or I, develope some disease later in life, that's hardly "worse" than being saddled with obesity and a laundry list of health issues for most of your life.

I drink a lot less these days, because I agree it's probably fairly bad. One thing I've heard is it throws off the acidity or alkaline in your whole body, or something like that.

Alcohol too. Heavy drinking is worse for women, because they have puny girly livers. However, casual drinking is worse for men because it turns you into a trans.
Last edited by: Rigondeaux on Feb 13, 2019
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
February 13th, 2019 at 5:48:59 PM permalink

I’ve researched artificial sweeteners extensively, and found pretty much none of this to be true.

Aspartame is probably the most extensively researched food additive in existence, and researchers have established zero causal link between normal consumption and any cancers or neurological effects.

That saccharine study you mentioned that was done in the 70’s/80’s has been throughly debunked. The amount of saccharine they had to give to the rats to induce bladder cancer was the equivalent of 800 12oz diet sodas PER DAY. There are literally hundreds of compounds in our food, many naturally occurring, that would cause cancer at such ridiculous levels.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3185898/
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
RogerKintgamerfreakmcallister3200RS
February 13th, 2019 at 6:26:10 PM permalink
On another note, I said before that I think many diets ranging from keto to vegan are probably fine, especially compared to SAD.

I'd like to strike vegas from the list. I've watched lots of youtubers talking about their own health and fitness journeys. There's a growing number of ex-vegans who find that the diet is fine for 1-2 years, but then you start having a lot of problems. You can see these people dramatically improve their appearance in a month of eating animal products.

I noticed that many vegans have this very similar, unhealthy look. Sort of an overly skinny, emaciated body and a very old looking face. Many of these are people whose life revolves around nutrition, so they are not eating chips and candy all day. There's one famous vegan called freelee who started off looking like a model and now looks like a drug addict.

I'm friends with a vegan couple and they have the same look, though it's clearer to me now that I've seen a lot of people with similar looks.

Probably still better than fast food and doughnuts, but you might want to try gently planting some seeds in the minds of any vegans you know that it isn't very healthy.

This is a good video by a guy who really wanted to stay vegan, but found it was just too harmful to his physical and mental health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhGkFmbY2M
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Thanked by
odiousgambit
February 13th, 2019 at 6:47:12 PM permalink

On another note, I said before that I think many diets ranging from keto to vegan are probably fine, especially compared to SAD.

I'd like to strike vegas from the list. I've watched lots of youtubers talking about their own health and fitness journeys. There's a growing number of ex-vegans who find that the diet is fine for 1-2 years, but then you start having a lot of problems. You can see these people dramatically improve their appearance in a month of eating animal products.

I noticed that many vegans have this very similar, unhealthy look. Sort of an overly skinny, emaciated body and a very old looking face. Many of these are people whose life revolves around nutrition, so they are not eating chips and candy all day. There's one famous vegan called freelee who started off looking like a model and now looks like a drug addict.

I'm friends with a vegan couple and they have the same look, though it's clearer to me now that I've seen a lot of people with similar looks.

Probably still better than fast food and doughnuts, but you might want to try gently planting some seeds in the minds of any vegans you know that it isn't very healthy.

This is a good video by a guy who really wanted to stay vegan, but found it was just too harmful to his physical and mental health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhGkFmbY2M

I’ve met several vegans that eat like garbage.

Very few actual vegetables, and lots of processed snack foods that just so happen to be vegan.

Also lots of processed vegan products like meat/cheese substitutes are soy based. And there seems to be quite a bit of research showing a lot of negatives of soy rich diets.

FWIW I’ve also walked back a bit on my “carbs are poison” stance many pages ago in this thread. I think the only real key to weight loss and a overall healthy diet is calorie restriction. Not to say low carb diets aren’t effective if you can stick to the, but I think they are effective due to calorie restriction. It’s very hard to over eat when you’re only eating meats and veggies.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 13th, 2019 at 8:12:49 PM permalink
I’m a fat vegetarian.

I’d probably be a fat vegan too.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
February 14th, 2019 at 3:07:51 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I think the only real key to weight loss and a overall healthy diet is calorie restriction. Not to say low carb diets aren’t effective if you can stick to the, but I think they are effective due to calorie restriction. It’s very hard to over eat when you’re only eating meats and veggies.

Just found a pretty good video on this very subject. He argues that calories are different because different foods are processed differently and create different hormonal reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMBm-UVdII
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
February 15th, 2019 at 1:17:01 AM permalink

Just found a pretty good video on this very subject. He argues that calories are different because different foods are processed differently and create different hormonal reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMBm-UVdII

Here is the podcast that changed my mind (warning it’s 3 hours long):
https://youtu.be/u93oh9kC-rU

Here is a 15 minute excerpt if you don’t have that kind of time:
https://youtu.be/FCBv1ndM2c8

I’m not saying Keto/Low Carb is bad at all. But if you are on a Keto-like diet you are almost certainly eating at a calorie deficit. And the research is very clear that calorie restriction results in weight loss and increased longevity.

Nothing has shown low carb diets to be effective by any other mechanism other than calorie restriction.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
February 24th, 2019 at 3:00:32 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Here is the podcast that changed my mind (warning it’s 3 hours long):
https://youtu.be/u93oh9kC-rU

Here is a 15 minute excerpt if you don’t have that kind of time:
https://youtu.be/FCBv1ndM2c8

I’m not saying Keto/Low Carb is bad at all. But if you are on a Keto-like diet you are almost certainly eating at a calorie deficit. And the research is very clear that calorie restriction results in weight loss and increased longevity.

Nothing has shown low carb diets to be effective by any other mechanism other than calorie restriction.

Interesting stuff. He's definitely right about people mingling diet and identity and becoming zealots. Seems, as he suggests, in the absence of religion people just find other vehicles to become nut jobs.

It's all pretty hard to sort out, but I've seen various stuff saying things that might not contradict this, but, let's say, modify it.

One thing he says is that intake matters relative to what you burn. So maybe some diets or habits can slow or speed up your metabolism. When they studied the Biggest Loser contestants, most of whom gain the weight back, they found that their metabolism slowed to a crawl. They were burning 1,200 calories a day.

Fasters burn more fat and less muscle than people who simply restrict calories. They also have less difficulty with hunger and feel better.

Also, satiation and cravings matter a lot, even if you just focus on in/out. I'm just doing keto sporadically now, but it still makes me feel full and satisfied. When I eat carbs, especially totally empty carbs, it's harder to get into a fast and, even when eating, it's hard to feel full. If I didn't will myself to stop, I think I could probably eat about 3k calories of fresh chips and salsa pretty easily.

Maybe this is why we eat desert last. You can have a steak dinner and feel really full. But then you taste a little sugar and suddenly you can eat another 800 calories of it.

He mentions that long term adherence is the key and that people on keto and low fat can both do this. However, I think many/most low fat people are vegan, so they probably have extra reasons to stay on the diet, i.e. saving animals. But, as I said, I suspect a vegan diet is unhealthy for many if not most and if it can be made healthy, it takes a ton of work.

Straight caloric restriction is the hardest, I'd guess since it is just using will power relentlessly for years.

Another point for my religion, fasting, is that you only have to use the will power in bursts. And, once you are used to it, it's not even that much will power.

Plus, it is an isolated kind of project. You set a goal and try to hit it, then you can work on other things, then it's time for another fast. Psychologically, this is much more appealing to me than to spend my whole life constantly eating less food than I want. Keto is similar, but less dramatic. It is fun researching and making keto meals and they taste good and make you feel full.

But that's just my reaction to these things. As both doctors say, you have to figure out something that is appealing and sustainable for you. But, especially given what the guy says past 14:00, I came away thinking keto is the most likely to work and perhaps has other benifits.
billryan
billryan
April 19th, 2019 at 3:21:43 PM permalink
Finishing up two weeks of drinking only water. I would normally have drank four gallons of milk and perhaps a gallon of diet Arnold Palmers, along with a couple of beers.
Didn't really notice any difference.
Big 420 party with Rob Van Dam tomorrow nite.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 19th, 2019 at 3:38:17 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Finishing up two weeks of drinking only water. I would normally have drank four gallons of milk and perhaps a gallon of diet Arnold Palmers, along with a couple of beers.

What kind of difference were you expecting.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 20th, 2019 at 12:47:44 AM permalink
All You Can Eat buffets should be banned, particularly from health resorts.

Unlimited Mimosas for eight bucks should be banned as well.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 20th, 2019 at 1:10:56 AM permalink
Why if it is a heath resort, did I do four pats of butter, four pats of grape jelly and four tabs of strawberry jelly on my four small pieces of toast.

Why do dogs bark aggressively at a portly curmudgeon who is just standing in the street trying to transition to the sidewalk? Curbs should be banned within 500 feet of Unlimited Mimosas. I just got out of rehab recently, a four inch curb is an insurmountable obstacle even if I'm sober.
GWAE
GWAE
May 20th, 2019 at 2:37:37 AM permalink
Sounds like a good weekend. Where did you go?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
MaxPenmcallister3200
May 20th, 2019 at 3:09:22 AM permalink

Confused the hell outta me until I realized your post was made on April 19'th, not May 19'th.

Speaking of which, I've gone back onto the ol' keto diet. I think I started it on May 15'th, perhaps the 16'th. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but my pants even 1 week ago on Monday/Tuesday felt kinda tight. On Caturday they felt much looser and have been since. I don't think 5 days is enough to lose that kind of weight, but whatever. Just an observation if nothing else.

I don't really find the keto diet to be hard to follow. I don't really crave sugar, bread, or anything like that. It's not tempting at all. The main problem is finding food to eat! It seems like I'm going to have to keep going to the same 4-5 restaurants to eat food that isn't filled with devilish carbs.

But I did just get back from the store (and when the guy near the door asked for my receipt, I said "No thanks" and kept walking, for those who care) and I found some interesting stuff there. It turns out I buy a lot more mayonnaise than someone should have in their refrigerator because now I got like 3 of them. I wasn't sure if I had mustard at home (since I rarely eat at home) so I got some mustard. When checking out, it turns out that I actually got 2 different kinds of mustard. At home I saw I already had 2 things of mustard, too. At least I have many different flavors, cool. One of them even has blue cheese infused somehow, so I'm excited to try that.

I also got cheddar, pepperjack, provolone, and swiss cheese. Got some ham, salamai, and I think turkey or something else. Just the little pre-done packets. I don't get the fresh stuff at the deli because they're never open when I'm there.

I also got some frozen PRE-COOKED salmon, I think talapia, and chicken. All have either 0 or like 2 carbs. I just gotta throw them puppies in the oven for, I believe according to the instructions for the salmon, between 12 and 36 minutes (bruh).

Oh I got a coconut and an avocado. I know how to eat the avocado (skin is the healthiest part), but I'm not so sure about the coconut. The instructions near the coconuts said "get a coconut that feels heavy and makes a sloshing sound when you shake it" as well as "hit it with a hammer to open it". It might be big brother invading my personal safe space, but I did just see a picture on reddit, earlier today, of someone who tried to open a coconut with a hammer but they put the coconut in a bowl and when they whacked it, the bowl broke. I probably got other stuff to DAMNIT I FORGOT to get blue cheese and pesto now my life is ruined.

One thing i like about the keto diet is you can basically eat a bunch more food IMO. Carbs are for the devil and they fill you up when you eat them. I can eat a steak and some vegetables and feel good, not completely stuffed, but also not hungry. It's kind of a weird feeling to finish a meal and not be in pain, but also no longer hungry. Imma go whip up a salami/ham/double cheese/mayonnaise/mustard with bleu cheese sammich, without the devil's bread.

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 20th, 2019 at 4:07:30 AM permalink
My diet this week consists of copious amounts of fresh baked French croissants and lots of cheese. I expect to come home about five pounds heavier than when I left.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 20th, 2019 at 4:28:56 AM permalink
As much crap as I talked about keto I think I’m about to try it, hopefully a combo of that and 14/10 or 16/8 intermittent fasting. Getting too fat, dislike working out indoors and not going to be near much good hiking for the foreseeable future. Yogging is for the birds. Pretty much leaves basketball, frolfing, walking and sporadic hiking for exercise.

If I pretty much stick to eggs, butter, meat, avocados, almonds, mushrooms, peppers and green stuff should be good right? Milk is gross so that’s out.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on May 20, 2019
GWAE
GWAE
May 20th, 2019 at 5:09:26 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

As much crap as I talked about keto I think I’m about to try it, hopefully a combo of that and 14/10 or 16/8 intermittent fasting. Getting too fat, dislike working out indoors and not going to be near much good hiking for the foreseeable future. Yogging is for the birds. Pretty much leaves basketball, frolfing, walking and sporadic hiking for exercise.

If I pretty much stick to eggs, butter, meat, avocados, almonds, mushrooms, peppers and green stuff should be good right? Milk is gross so that’s out.

Gotta be careful with peppers and onions,, they have high carbs. No fruits either. Milk is bad so that is good that you dislike. Eggs, butter, meat, and mushrooms until your heart is content.

Nuts are good for a snack but gotta be careful as there is some carbs so it's not an unlimited type of thing.

Do you have disc golf in your area? Good way to exercise with some low impact.
vegas
vegas
May 20th, 2019 at 6:20:21 AM permalink
I winter down south and gain a few pounds doing this. My weight when I got home this year was 194. I have been reading about keto for a few years and decided now was the time. In the two weeks I have been on it I have lost 9 pounds. I can't say enough how after maybe 4 days when your body goes into ketosis your hunger is almost gone. It is the most unbelievable part of the keto diet

I would read how people fast a lot on keto and thought that would be the hard part but it is just the opposite as you can have a meal and not be hungry for sometimes 24 hours. My typical meal will be at noon and I might have a burger on the BBQ. I will fry some mushrooms, onions and maybe a few green peppers in butter. Then wrap the burger in lettuce leaves and put the things I fried up on top with a tomato slice, cheese and mustard as toppings. Sometimes that meal will satisfy me for 24 hours. If not I will eat something when I get hungry.

I was a sugar addict and that was my first reason for doing keto to break that cycle and lose weight was next. I used to want something sweet after every meal...I craved it. Within one week I no longer craved sweets.

Keto is great if you love meat as it is keto friendly. I never have more than 20 carbs a day and no sugars unless it is natural in a keto food. One thing I did miss was no potatoes with my meat. I eat a lot of eggs as well

If you really want to diet to lose weight you will find Keto will be the easiest diet you were ever on after a few days and your body gets used to it. You also have to make sure you eat salt and lots of fat like butter. The internet is full of keto info. If I am not sure about a food I will type something like "are tomato's keto friendly and you will get results.

Still can't believe how full I usually feel.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 20th, 2019 at 7:41:41 AM permalink

Sounds like a good weekend. Where did you go?

Not quite sure. I wasn't doing the driving and that tiny woman that lives in the rental car's GPS wasn't too informative. I recall passing Gandy Drive, so I must have been really near to TerapinEd's favorite poker club but I didn't venture inside. I know I was somewhere near Tampa Bay and the Tiny Lady said I was only 13 miles from the Hard Rock in Tampa.

Peach is really "in" this year. All the employees had peach tee shirts on, many of the guests were wearing peach dresses and peach shorts. I happened to arrive wearing my thrift-shop acquired Peach Polo Shirt. I felt as if I were attending a convention of The Peachy Keen People or something. Even saw one guy in peach shorts who must have been lying on one of those Shay's Lounges type things that are impossible to get out of. He had seriously miscalculated his Mimosa capacity/ Bladder Strength ratio and the groin area of his peach shorts was soaking wet as he walked thru the lobby in search of a men's room.

the very touristy area didn't seem to feature cheap. off-site stores so I had to do without tinted glasses. one place gave me a TexMex burrito but it featured Feta Cheese and that is neither Tex nor Mex; its Greek. Its impossible to get any Rum in Tampa Bay that is not loaded with Pineapple Juice because Papa Hemingway drank it that way.

It was a battle to decline the twenty dolllar all you can eat specials and walk six blocks for a ten dollar burrito.

The previous guest or a disgruntled maid had turned the thermostat up to 80 so the first night in the room was memorable. Made even more memorable by the nearest cold water dispensing machine featuring nothing but blinking error messages.

So I pretty much just spent the time over eating and watching teenage girls stroll around modeling their peach-colored bikinis.
Last edited by: FleaStiff on May 20, 2019
TigerWu
TigerWu
May 20th, 2019 at 8:17:12 AM permalink

All You Can Eat buffets should be banned, particularly from health resorts.

Unlimited Mimosas for eight bucks should be banned as well.

I don't eat anymore at an all-you-can eat buffet than I do at an off-the-menu place.

I eat until I'm full, and then I stop, regardless of how much food is in front of me.

I'll fight you for those unlimited mimosas, though...
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 20th, 2019 at 9:18:13 AM permalink
Good to see a nine year old girl wielding a hammer. And a real hammer at that, not some pink handled toy!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 20th, 2019 at 11:28:59 AM permalink

I don't eat anymore at an all-you-can eat buffet than I do at an off-the-menu place.

Whether you refer to it as will-power or won't-power, I envy your abilities.

>>>>>>>I'll fight you for those unlimited mimosas, though...
No need for fisticuffs, although they had these short narrow glasses stacked at the mimosa fountain, most people just grabbed the great big glasses that were stacked a few feet away and filled those, thus creating a Triple Mimosa at each trip to the unlimited fountain.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 20th, 2019 at 1:08:09 PM permalink

Almonds, according to this one website, contain 12 carbs and 4 fibers per serving as well as 12 sugars. You can subtract the fibers from the carbs because (idk that's just what rigindux told me I guess) and it doesn't hurt your keto-ness. You can probably have 3 or 4 of them, but I wouldn't eat more than that. Bad value for the carbs/sugars.

Bell peppers aren't that bad, but you probably shouldn't go wolfing down a few of them for a meal. Same with onions. Tomatoes, FYI, are pretty sugary.

You can still eat some carbs, though. I believe the KetoGods recommend 20 or fewer carbs per day. Also be careful when you eat out. At least if you're at a chain restaurant of any sort, you can generally get the nutrition facts online -- but lots of stuff has lots of added sugars which is dumb (EG: check out the meats at Subway). You can subscribe to r/keo and r/ketorecipes too.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 20th, 2019 at 1:39:50 PM permalink
Serious problem:
I obviously have serious loss of muscle mass after my recent medical ordeals.
I have trouble with five pound dumbells..I have problems lifting my feet at a curb and get dizzy as well.
I know I have to build muscle mass to get sufficient exercise.

The trouble is that the quacks made it clear that if I gain weight, my feet, ankles and calfs will swell, thus cutting off return circulation and ending all mobility.

so what is best for getting protein to build muscle mass but not let feet or ankles get clogged
I have to re-acquire muscles for walking but not reacquire weight particularly central mass.
billryan
billryan
May 20th, 2019 at 1:49:42 PM permalink
Protein shakes.
GWAE
GWAE
May 20th, 2019 at 1:59:54 PM permalink

Protein shakes.

But you still have to do the work to create the muscle.

Who was that person who did old people workouts with a chair?
TigerWu
TigerWu
May 20th, 2019 at 2:21:24 PM permalink

Serious problem:
I have trouble with five pound dumbells..I have problems lifting my feet at a curb and get dizzy as well.

The trouble is that the quacks made it clear that if I gain weight, my feet, ankles and calfs will swell, thus cutting off return circulation and ending all mobility.

so what is best for getting protein to build muscle mass but not let feet or ankles get clogged
I have to re-acquire muscles for walking but not reacquire weight particularly central mass.

Reacquiring muscles necessitates gaining weight. You can't gain "weightless" muscles.

Are you sure your doctors weren't warning you about gaining FAT? I don't see how a standard amount of muscle mass (i.e., the amount of muscle needed for simply walking) would cause circulatory problems, but I'm not a doctor or anything.

Speaking specifically to good protein sources, milk and natural peanut butter are my go-to sources. I also sometimes get pure whey protein powder in the bulk section at Sprouts. It's about $12 a pound, which sounds kind of pricey, but you don't need much if you're just supplementing your diet.

Make a protein shake with 1 cup milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and two tablespoons of whey protein. Mix it in a blender and enjoy. That gives you about 24 g of protein and is about 350 calories. Good, clean, food for gaining weight. You don't need those fancy pants GNC protein powders; they're full of sugar and added crap. Just get the pure whey protein, milk, and all natural peanut butter and make your own protein shakes.

Also, if you're having this much trouble working out, you should be talking to a physical therapist or something.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional. Ignore the medical advice I'm giving you.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 20th, 2019 at 2:59:51 PM permalink

Serious problem:

If your muscle deficit is severe, and your health is poor and you're old, you need to think of improvement in terms a few more steps a day as a realistic goal. Instead of 5lb weights get 1lb soup cans. Work from 10 reps to 3 sets of 10 where it's comfortable before moving up.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 20th, 2019 at 3:09:02 PM permalink

Reacquiring muscles necessitates gaining weight. You can't gain "weightless" muscles.

Are you sure your doctors weren't warning you about gaining FAT?

Indeed. Surely you should aspire to build that weighty muscle mass while avoiding storing calories as fat.

Don't your doctors refer you to a dietician, or physical therapist as a matter of course? To not at least give some helpful guidance is to guarantee you are forever back to the (expensive ) doctor.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd expect you should consume the calories needed to power your exercise regime and consume the protiens that will be needed to build muscle. At the first sign of gaining fat ( as determined by feeling for love handles or beer belly, )step up the exercise to redress the balance, rather than reducing calorie input

I've not read of your medical condition, but you need to find the right exercise to address it. Good luck with your recovery..

Beware consuming TOO much protein as it can damage your kidneys.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
May 20th, 2019 at 3:16:17 PM permalink

It works, I lost 25lbs pretty easy in about 10 weeks,and I've maintained for a year now.
I call it my cheato diet,once or twice a week i eat carbs.
I dont believe I ever went into full ketosis,just a reduced carb thing with some fasting.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 21st, 2019 at 12:32:45 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Don't your doctors refer you to a dietician, or physical therapist as a matter of course? To not at least give some helpful guidance is to guarantee you are forever back to the (expensive ) doctor.

Which doctors should I listen to? The ones who caused the problems, the ones who exacerbated the problems or the ones who ignored the problems?

Beer belly? still got that ...just several inches less of it than before.
Everyone tells me I lost weight and look much better, but in losing 90 to 100 pounds, I seem to have lost more muscle mass rather than abdominal fat.
I now am oriented as to time and place, but can't do curbs too well or lift much.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 21st, 2019 at 3:26:33 AM permalink

Which doctors should I listen to? The ones who caused the problems, the ones who exacerbated the problems or the ones who ignored the problems?

Beer belly? still got that ...just several inches less of it than before.
Everyone tells me I lost weight and look much better, but in losing 90 to 100 pounds, I seem to have lost more muscle mass rather than abdominal fat.
I now am oriented as to time and place, but can't do curbs too well or lift much.

AH. Your doctors sound pretty rubbish!
To be honest, they may not be the best peeps to go to for dietary or exercise advice, if only because they should be referring out for such things.

If you needed to, and succeeded in, losing 90 - 100 lbs, you will have intrinsically reduced your exercise, as you were no longer having to carry that burden. So, no surprise you lost muscle.

Your medical condition sounds serious enough that you should not come here for best advice.

I wish you well.
  • Jump to: